Is Carmelo Anthony overrated

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

paul07ss
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Is Carmelo Anthony overrated 

Post#161 » by paul07ss » Thu Jan 5, 2012 11:44 pm

TheToothFairy wrote:Melo is a perrenial , Olympian and top 5-10 player in the league and top 3 at his position. Top 3 scorer in the league.

Is somebody rating him higher than that?

That looks about right to me.
bronxknicksfan1
Starter
And1: 1,180

Post#162 » by bronxknicksfan1 » Thu Jan 5, 2012 11:44 pm

nugzin2040 wrote:
bronxknicksfan1 wrote:You use missing the 4th best player as an excuse, but don't say anything about the Knicks missing their 2nd AND 3rd best players? :roll:

No, because I think it's obvious Amare and Melo don't play well together anyways. One of them being out probably made it closer then it would have been otherwise.

But not using it as an excuse. Thunder were the better team that series, no doubt. I wouldn't call Denver getting destroyed though. And I also don't think the Thunder and Nuggets matchup in the first round this season. Was probably the worst draw that the Nuggets could have gotten for a first round matchup.

And Amar'e being out still has a huge impact, regardless if they fit or not. Amar'e was torching KG in Game 1 and Billups wasn't getting owned by Rondo the way Toney Douglas was. Having those two makes a huge difference in a 7 game series.
eathb_au
Analyst
And1: 1,115

Post#163 » by eathb_au » Thu Jan 5, 2012 11:45 pm

koogiking wrote:They are. Just go to http://www.mysynergysports.com/ and type in Carmelo Anthony's name and you'll see the real stats

0.82 which is surprising. But then I realized that we're only 6 games into the season and the best player he's defended all this time is Corey Maggette. Props to him if he keeps it all season though which I doubt.
nugzin2040
Sixth Man
And1: 8

Post#164 » by nugzin2040 » Thu Jan 5, 2012 11:46 pm

seren wrote:[

I think it is very likely Denver will miss the playoffs this year.

I think it's more likely that the Knicks get to keep their 1st rounder, because it falls within the top 5. Neither is particularly likely. It's hard to imagine that there are fans out there, that think Denver isn't one of the top 8 teams in the West at this point.
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,204

Post#165 » by seren » Thu Jan 5, 2012 11:46 pm

phil77 wrote:There is no way Denver will miss the playoffs this year. They have the deepest team in the league and play at a fast pace. They will rack up so many wins like last night because there starters will not be playing the bulk of the minutes so the back to back to back things will not hurt them as much.

I do agree that their depth should help in a shortened season and it is tough to play in Denver for other teams given the altitude. The way I see it, 6 teams are locked to playoff spots, two LA teams, Dallas, OKC, San Antonio, and Memphis. That leaves two spots. Denver is obviously one of them that will probably make it, but there is serious competition.
NOOB77
General Manager
And1: 3,288

Post#166 » by NOOB77 » Thu Jan 5, 2012 11:47 pm

eathb_au wrote:
koogiking wrote:They are. Just go to http://www.mysynergysports.com/ and type in Carmelo Anthony's name and you'll see the real stats

0.82 which is surprising. But then I realized that we're only 6 games into the season and the best player he's defended all this time is Corey Maggette. Props to him if he keeps it all season though which I doubt.

You do realize that the Knicks are a switching defense so Melo is not always on SF. I have seen him guard 1-2-3-4 I don't think I have seen him on a 5 this year yet.
Brooklyn53
Rookie

Post#167 » by Brooklyn53 » Thu Jan 5, 2012 11:47 pm

melo is an elite top offensive scorer..can post you up, shoot inside, outside, penetrate. definitely not an elite overall basketball player till he decides to actually commit on defense. you guys have to admit, even when he is "chucking", his shot still looks wet
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,204

Post#168 » by seren » Thu Jan 5, 2012 11:48 pm

nugzin2040 wrote:

I think it's more likely that the Knicks get to keep their 1st rounder, because it falls within the top 5. Neither is particularly likely. It's hard to imagine that there are fans out there, that think Denver isn't one of the top 8 teams in the West at this point.

I think they are somewhere around 7th-8th along with Portland. Still it is not a safe place. Some young teams with better talent may figure things out faster than expected.
NOOB77
General Manager

Post#169 » by NOOB77 » Thu Jan 5, 2012 11:49 pm

seren wrote:
phil77 wrote:There is no way Denver will miss the playoffs this year. They have the deepest team in the league and play at a fast pace. They will rack up so many wins like last night because there starters will not be playing the bulk of the minutes so the back to back to back things will not hurt them as much.

I do agree that their depth should help in a shortened season and it is tough to play in Denver for other teams given the altitude. The way I see it, 6 teams are locked to playoff spots, two LA teams, Dallas, OKC, San Antonio, and Memphis. That leaves two spots. Denver is obviously one of them that will probably make it, but there is serious competition.

Some of those teams are better than Denver but the way the season is set up is perfect for Denver because of there depth. I wouldn't shock me to see them as a top 4 seed in the West based on record. Not saying they are one of the 4 best teams in the West but there record might be.
nugzin2040
Sixth Man

Post#170 » by nugzin2040 » Thu Jan 5, 2012 11:50 pm

seren wrote:

Lol @ locking a below .500 team and the Clippers.
eathb_au
Analyst
And1: 1,115

Post#171 » by eathb_au » Thu Jan 5, 2012 11:50 pm

paul07ss wrote:Ok say durant is a little better at the defensive end.. what else ya got that makes Durant so much better?

I'd say Durant is much better on the defensive end. But otherwise, he scores more efficiently on offense despite being held back by Westbrook. I do think Durant is overrated but he does have a higher ceiling being only 22. I think both are worlds below LeBron, Wade, Dwight and Paul though.
nugzin2040
Sixth Man

Post#172 » by nugzin2040 » Thu Jan 5, 2012 11:51 pm

seren wrote:
nugzin2040 wrote:

I think they are somewhere around 7th-8th along with Portland. Still it is not a safe place. Some young teams with better talent may figure things out faster than expected.

I feel confident Denver won't be 7th or 8th. If we had Melo, I'd be worried tho :)
NOOB77
General Manager

Post#173 » by NOOB77 » Thu Jan 5, 2012 11:53 pm

eathb_au wrote:
paul07ss wrote:Ok say durant is a little better at the defensive end.. what else ya got that makes Durant so much better?

I'd say Durant is much better on the defensive end. But otherwise, he scores more efficiently on offense despite being held back by Westbrook. I do think Durant is overrated but he does have a higher ceiling being only 22. I think both are worlds below LeBron, Wade, Dwight and Paul though.

What was Durants number this year? Melo was 0.82 right? Nobody posted Durants number yet?
elbowthrower
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#174 » by elbowthrower » Thu Jan 5, 2012 11:57 pm

seren wrote:

Oh my.

If you had said it's "possible" I could have let that slide. But "very likely"?

It shows that you don't really know anything about the team this year.
bronxknicksfan1
Starter

Post#175 » by bronxknicksfan1 » Thu Jan 5, 2012 11:57 pm

eathb_au wrote:

How exactly is Westbrook holding Durant back? Westbrook can actually break down defenses and draws attention on offense because he can score. That actually helps Durant become more efficient.
bronxknicksfan1
Starter

Post#176 » by bronxknicksfan1 » Thu Jan 5, 2012 11:58 pm

phil77 wrote:
eathb_au wrote:

What was Durants number this year? Melo was 0.82 right? Nobody posted Durants number yet?

Defensively, Durant is better this year, but offensively, Carmelo has been better.
NOOB77
General Manager

Post#177 » by NOOB77 » Fri Jan 6, 2012 12:00 am

Why did this thread get moved?
nugzin2040
Sixth Man

Post#178 » by nugzin2040 » Fri Jan 6, 2012 12:09 am

Because it became more about Melo vs Durant, instead of whether or not Melo was overrated...
NOOB77
General Manager

Post#179 » by NOOB77 » Fri Jan 6, 2012 12:13 am

nugzin2040 wrote:Because it became more about Melo vs Durant, instead of whether or not Melo was overrated...

Well any Melo is overrated thread will turn into a player comparison so it should have been moved right away.
heretic
Banned User

Post#180 » by heretic » Fri Jan 6, 2012 12:25 am

So the Miami Heat and Lebron and company get a pass for last season because 'they're still building chemistry' The Knicks play 6 games and Melo is already 'A Cancer' 'Overrated'. The inconsistencies of the GB will never cease to amaze me.

Return to Player Comparisons