The Kobe vs Wade debate should be over for good.

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

rrravenred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 547
Location: Pulling at the loose threads of arguments since 2006

Re: The Kobe vs Wade debate should be over for good. 

Post#41 » by rrravenred » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:04 pm

Kobe 24 Revis wrote:If Kobe got the same treatment as Wade from the refs his TS% would skyrocket

If Kobe would drive anything like Wade does then that might happen. His increased post-work helps, but...
ElGee wrote:You, my friend, have shoved those words into my mouth, which is OK because I'm hungry.

Got fallacy?
B2Bhoops
Senior
And1: 83

Post#42 » by B2Bhoops » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:15 am

Wade couldn't put up 28+ shots. His efficiency would either plummet, because of all the jumpers he would have to take, or he would be injured quickly trying to drive that many times per game and that is if he could even do it. It's a fact that one important part of being able to score in the NBA is being able to get shots up. Very few players in the history of the game can take as many shots as Kobe with the efficiency that he does. It's why he is a great volume scorer. Wade is great too but not as good at volume scoring.

That was off topic but I just wanted to address the idea of Wade simply shooting more. It doesn't work that way in the NBA.
doctorfunk
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#43 » by doctorfunk » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:57 pm

Wade is better than Kobe for a few years now, how about 2010 playoffs, how Kobe performed vs Boston defense and how did Wade(33.2 5.6 6.8. on 564 .405 .675 - 65% TS) ?- Can Wade take more shots and maintain his FG% - DUH. Or maybe look at his performance in finals vs Dallas(either of times really)?

Taking less and better shots is better for your team, unless you really have to- when that happens Wade delivers. Wade is playing along side LBJ and Bosh now, his PPG won't be as high as it used to be, but who cares he is still one of the best players in the NBA. And last year was better than Bryant by far. This year he will be too, just a matter of time when he gets back on the track.
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#44 » by semi-sentient » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:19 pm

It's way too early in the season to really call it either way.

Kobe is putting up better numbers, but the reality is that the Lakers chemistry hasn't been that great, and that's largely because Kobe has forced the issue quite a bit. It certainly doesn't help that Mike Brown is giving him the green light. There have been games where he absolutely had to force it (against the Suns, for example), but he's cost the Lakers a few games this year by going outside of the offense and he damn near cost them a couple more.

If you go strictly by the box score then you're left asking yourself if Kobe is having the 2nd best season of his career, which is utterly ridiculous. This is a classic example of why you can't use cumulative box score stats to compare players, even if comparing a player to himself.

Kobe has had a few games, however, where he has looked legitimately like the best player. He's scoring efficiently from all over the floor (except long range, which is what's killing his efficiency) and slicing up defenses with his passing, and his defense has been a lot better than last season -- although he's had some lapses.

I can't comment too much on Wade because I've only caught 2 or 3 Heat games, but in the games I've seen, he doesn't really look like himself on either end of the floor. Kobe has definitely looked better up to this point, but that could change over the next few weeks.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
magicman1978
Analyst
And1: 2,075

Post#45 » by magicman1978 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:16 pm

So far this year, Kobe has looked better than Wade. However, you can't be claim to be non-biased and not admit that Wade has been better for the last three seasons prior to this. And one of the main reasons is because Kobe is picking and choosing more the times that he actually decides he wants to play defense - mostly to conserve energy because the mileage is racking up. I would Take a prime Kobe over Wade though.

B2BHoops - Wade score 30pts putting up 22 shots a game. He's proven he can score on volume.
Brenice
Banned User
And1: 464

Post#46 » by Brenice » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:55 pm

The ONLY REASON LeBron and Wade teamed up was to defeat Kobe!
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#47 » by semi-sentient » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:04 pm

magicman1978 wrote:However, you can't be claim to be non-biased and not admit that Wade has been better for the last three seasons prior to this.

While Wade was great individually in 08-09, I don't think you can say definitively that he was better than Kobe who tore it up from start to finish while leading the Lakers to a championship. There was nothing that Wade was particularly better at in terms of offense, and defense is probably debatable as far as who was more consistent in the RS. What I do know is that Kobe's defense was rock solid in the playoffs, and since Kobe had a longer run and played great against every opponent there just isn't much of an argument for Wade being better.

I think it's worth mentioning that the Heat were the 20th ranked offense in the league that year, so no matter what Wade put up, he wasn't effectively running a great or even good offense. I hate to say that Wade's stats were empty because there may not have been much more that he could have done with that roster, but the impact just didn't seem to be there. I know there are other factors involved, but that's a hard thing to really overlook. If an offensive player can't run an effective offense then what good are the numbers? It's very similar to Kobe this year. The numbers look good, but the Lakers offense looks like hot garbage.

2009-10 is also debatable. The one advantage that Wade has is that he played great against a common opponent in the playoffs -- the Celtics. Neither guy was overly impressive in the regular season, but the Lakers did have the best perimeter defense and believe it or not, that had something to do with Kobe putting in a more consistent effort with the addition of Artest. In the playoffs his defense was even better, probably the best that I've seen him play since the Frobe days.

Wade was unquestionably better in 2010-11, but the two prior years are definitely debatable.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
Wone
Banned User
And1: 34
Location: Jesus is coming for the Rapture of only his true believers. Be ready. Spread the news.

Post#48 » by Wone » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:12 pm

Chosen01 wrote:Realgm where averaging 29 on 24 shots equals one is better.

Wade has been better than Kobe since the 09 season.

kobe is playing better than wade right now.

unless you think that 20-4-5 on 20 per is better than 30-5-5 on 27 per.

wade is better if you dont look at production on the court.
canefandynasty
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#49 » by canefandynasty » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:29 pm

Wone wrote:

You and I know Wade and Kobe's production thus far will change...especially Wade. You're basically kicking Wade right now while he's down. People will be singing a different tune by the end of the season when Wade is at his usual 25-5-5-1.5-1.5 line with 50% FG and a 25+ PER
Wone
Banned User
And1: 34
Location: Jesus is coming for the Rapture of only his true believers. Be ready. Spread the news.

Post#50 » by Wone » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:34 pm

canefandynasty wrote:
Wone wrote:

You and I know Wade and Kobe's production thus far will change...especially Wade. You're basically kicking Wade right now while he's down. People will be singing a different tune by the end of the season when Wade is at his usual 25-5-5-1.5-1.5 line with 50% FG and a 25+ PER

the thread was based on hte premise that kobe rght now is aruguably better thn wade, which is true considering both player's play as ofright now.

obviously wade will get back but how do you know that kobe wont keep this up?
sportjames23
Bench Warmer
And1: 24

Post#51 » by sportjames23 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:02 pm

witnessraps wrote:Image

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Day in the Life
Analyst
And1: 5

Post#52 » by Day in the Life » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:04 pm

Kobe scored 35 on 27 shots in his prime. How is 30 ppg on 24 shots at 16 years in the league a shot against him? Lol, Wade homers never seem to fail, especially when Kobe scored 40 back to back on 50%+ efficiency. Kobe is getting looks he never got in the triangle, especially with the off ball screens. His mid-range game is the best in his career right now.
LAKERS_1981
Sixth Man
And1: 40

Post#53 » by LAKERS_1981 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:14 pm

What debate.

Kobe is a better player today at age 33
Kobe peak is better

It is not close.

This is like debating who is better Jordan or R.Miller
Lakers 72,80,82,85,87,88,00,01,02,09 and 10 champions

Return to Player Comparisons