All known blocked shot data of Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain:

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,506

Re: All known blocked shot data of Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain: 

Post#121 » by 70sFan » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:23 pm

countryboy667 wrote:
mstat13shuh wrote:Thanks for the response countryboy667, I really appreciate it.

Any additional Wilt shot-blocking memories you vividly recall?

I was a Royals fan then...only saw Wilt 2-3 times live. Never did get to see Russell live. Saw a lot of Oscar then--there was nothing flashy about Oscar's game. He was just so damned good at the fundamentals that he was almost like a well-oiled flawlessly smooth-running machine. Saw Lucas after he joined the Royals and in college. He'd have been right at home in today's small ball three-point game. GREAT, not just good, range on his shot. People will say I'm just an old fart hallucinating, but in today's game as a three-point shooter I think he'd be as good as any, including Curry, plus being a rebounding machine. He'd hit a ridiculous percentage of those corner threes. Too bad the Royals never had a top-tier five. If they had one with Oscar and Lucas they'd have given anyone, Celtics included, a serious run.
Shot blocking, unfortunately, was not a Royals forte. I may have seen Walt Bellamy once, but hard to remember. Really good but no Wilt or Russell. Don't remember ever having seen Pettit live.

Do you have any memories of Cliff Hagan? I'm trying to get as much footage as possible of him, but it's not easy. So far I only got around 5 minutes of his play, much less than his teammates like Pettit or Guerin.
prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#122 » by prolific passer » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:36 pm

70sFan wrote:
countryboy667 wrote:
mstat13shuh wrote:Thanks for the response countryboy667, I really appreciate it.

Any additional Wilt shot-blocking memories you vividly recall?

I was a Royals fan then...only saw Wilt 2-3 times live. Never did get to see Russell live. Saw a lot of Oscar then--there was nothing flashy about Oscar's game. He was just so damned good at the fundamentals that he was almost like a well-oiled flawlessly smooth-running machine. Saw Lucas after he joined the Royals and in college. He'd have been right at home in today's small ball three-point game. GREAT, not just good, range on his shot. People will say I'm just an old fart hallucinating, but in today's game as a three-point shooter I think he'd be as good as any, including Curry, plus being a rebounding machine. He'd hit a ridiculous percentage of those corner threes. Too bad the Royals never had a top-tier five. If they had one with Oscar and Lucas they'd have given anyone, Celtics included, a serious run.
Shot blocking, unfortunately, was not a Royals forte. I may have seen Walt Bellamy once, but hard to remember. Really good but no Wilt or Russell. Don't remember ever having seen Pettit live.

Do you have any memories of Cliff Hagan? I'm trying to get as much footage as possible of him, but it's not easy. So far I only got around 5 minutes of his play, much less than his teammates like Pettit or Guerin.

Back in 2008 me and my brother in law went to the STL Hawks 50th reunion of their 1958 nba championship. Never seen as I was born in 84 but became interested when NBA Live 2000 put legends on their games and looked abd learned about them. My grandpa said Hagan was a very good hook shot shooter. Hagan and Baylor had some fierce battles from Baylor's rookie year in 58-59 to Hagan's last year in the league in 65-66. Both were strong and athletic.
mstat13shuh
Junior
And1: 65

Post#123 » by mstat13shuh » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:54 pm

Countryboy667, ok, well thanks anyway for responding, I do appreciate it.

I DO know, in case you're interested, of one game in the 66-67 season where Walt Wesley blocked close to a dozen shots vs Celtics in an OT game, as well as another in Lucas's rookie season where Jerry blocked 6 shots in a quarter(vs Baltimore I think, don't recall the date but I could dig it up if necessary).
mstat13shuh
Junior

Post#124 » by mstat13shuh » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:00 am

Countryboy667, all that being said, since you said you saw a lot of Oscar then, do you recall the 44pt 8reb 22ast game(no 3pt line, stricter assist rules)vs Knicks in early March of '66?

If so, I'm also wondering if he had at least double-figure steals in this game; either way, thanks again.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,295

Post#125 » by Cavsfansince84 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:36 am

What I would love to see is some metrics redone using estimated values for league wide blocks/steals and also for Russell and Wilt and see how that comes out.
countryboy667
Pro Prospect
And1: 338

Post#126 » by countryboy667 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:29 pm

mstat13shuh wrote:Countryboy667, all that being said, since you said you saw a lot of Oscar then, do you recall the 44pt 8reb 22ast game(no 3pt line, stricter assist rules)vs Knicks in early March of '66?

If so, I'm also wondering if he had at least double-figure steals in this game; either way, thanks again.

When I say I saw a lot of Oscar, that was maybe 4-5 times a year, and the drive to Cinci from where we lived was a little over two hours, not something to be undertaken lightly. Given the pay scales then, a prosperous family (like we were with my dad's furniture store) could live pretty good on $20-30k a year in small town, rural America. For example, Dad bought an older but VERY nice three bedroom two-story house on a quiet street in our small town for $9,000. But comparatively speaking, NBA tickets were expensive enough compared to the incomes of the time that attending was a treat, not something you could do on a whim on a weekend. I DID see a fair amount of the NBA in TV back then, believe it or not. On Saturday evenings NBA games were a regular on TV even as long ago as when Elgin Baylor was a star in LA. (BTW, though memories are hazy, what I saw of Elgin on TV back then makes me think Elgin has genuine 3-point range.)

I don't remember that particular game, but double doubles and even occasional triple doubles were common enough for Oscar.
mstat13shuh
Junior

Post#127 » by mstat13shuh » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:52 am

Sorry I couldn't get back to you until today countryboy667, but thanks a lot for the response.

I didn't realize it was only 4-5 times a year you saw Oscar play in person.

I was thinking period, not just in person; nonetheless, I do understand the economic situation back then when you say the tickets were expensive enough compared to the average income back then. Thanks for the clarification here.

That being said, are there any Oscar standout games that you recall, and when they might've been?
mstat13shuh
Junior

Post#128 » by mstat13shuh » Thu Dec 3, 2020 9:59 am

Good morning! How's everyone been holding up lately?
mstat13shuh
Junior

Post#129 » by mstat13shuh » Thu Dec 3, 2020 10:26 am

Anyways, even though this isn't Wilt or Russell related(yet), I DID come across something the other day which should enlighten & inspire everyone here, as well as others like us whom attempt to unearth things like I have:

From the Los Angeles Evening Citizen News
Nov. 22, 1962

Per then-Laker coach Fred Schaus, discussing then-rookie sensation Gene Wiley:

"the other night(at Detroit I'm thinking, because that was the Lakers' previous game)he(Wiley)played 34 min. & blocked 12-15 shots"
(Det. game was on Nov. 18)

Why is this significant? BECAUSE HE HAD ZERO POINTS IN THE GAME!

Not to diminish anybody else here, least of all Wilt, Russell, & Thurmond, I'm certain any one of them could've achieved this feat if necessary, but I've dug pretty deep into this, and I cannot find any other occasion in NBA history where this has unofficially transpired(maybe Gene had a couple other games with 10 or more blocks with 0 points, but I've yet to find it).

Now, for a number of reasons, he is, by many, lesser known, not only as a Laker, but also overall throughout the league, primarily because, like Wilt, Russ, & Nate, blocks were unofficial for most, if not all, their careers.

However, upon further research last night, there is only 1 other NBA player who officially recorded at least 10 blocks in a game with zero points. The man in question?

Perhaps not too surprisingly to any of you here:

Manute Bol

Feb. 25, 1986 vs Indiana

10 blk in 30 min

Mar. 12, 1990 vs LA Clippers

10 blk in 18 min

In closing, I know this is largely subjective for a myriad of reasons, however, based upon what I've been blessed to uncover, I'm convinced that Lean Gene is the only other NBA player, aside from Manute of course, to record more blocks than points.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,506

Post#130 » by 70sFan » Thu Dec 3, 2020 10:49 am

It seems that Gene was quite monstrous shotblocker. I'm not surprised, he seemed to be very athletic, had decent size and no responsibility on offense.
DQuinn1575
Sixth Man
And1: 705

Post#131 » by DQuinn1575 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 12:02 am

70sFan wrote:It seems that Gene was quite monstrous shotblocker. I'm not surprised, he seemed to be very athletic, had decent size and no responsibility on offense.

Haven’t read whole thread. When Wilt was in college as sophomore Sporting News article stated he had 73 blocks in 9 games. I haven’t found any more than that when i have looked. The older i think we have in college for blocks is Gilmore; i will double check if there is anything else that old.
mstat13shuh
Junior

Post#132 » by mstat13shuh » Mon Dec 7, 2020 5:08 am

Akron, OH Beacon Journal
Dec. 20, 1961

"Thurmond's uncanny ability to block 8 or 9 shots a game"

Wichita State kept Gene Wiley's blocks when he was there.

I know some Kansas statistician kept Wilt's blocks when he was there,
but I can't find the numbers off-hand.

Los Angeles Herald-Examiner
Apr. 4, 1965

"It is not unusual for his big hands(Elvin Hayes) to ward off 8 attempts by opponents in a game"

And now for the finale:

As many of you know, Bill Russell said in "Red & Me" that he estimated he averaged AT LEAST 15 BLOCKS PER GAME!!

Now, if Russ himself thought it was at least 15, then I'm thinking the actual number is between 17-18.

I do know this for certain though:

A couple years ago on youtube, I came upon a commentator(sorry I've forgotten the name by now) who specifically mentioned to me that he saw Bill play about 30 games in person at USF, and he estimated that of those 30 games, and of those 30, he thought Russ blocked AT LEAST 15-18 IN EVERY GAME!(Maybe more in certain games, but he couldn't recall for certain.)
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,295

Post#133 » by Cavsfansince84 » Mon Dec 7, 2020 6:29 am

mstat13shuh wrote:Akron, OH Beacon Journal
Dec. 20, 1961

Apr. 4, 1965

"It is not unusual for his big hands(Elvin Hayes) to ward off 8 attempts by opponents in a game"

And now for the finale:

As many of you know, Bill Russell said in "Red & Me" that he estimated he averaged AT LEAST 15 BLOCKS PER GAME!!

Now, if Russ himself thought it was at least 15, then I'm thinking the actual number is between 17-18.

A couple years ago on youtube, I came upon a commentator(sorry I've forgotten the name by now) who specifically mentioned to me that he saw Bill play about 30 games in person at USF, and he estimated that of those 30 games, and of those 30, he thought Russ blocked AT LEAST 15-18 IN EVERY GAME!(Maybe more in certain games, but he couldn't recall for certain.)

Personally, I do think the idea of Russell and even Wilt(I say even because I think Russell dedicated himself a bit more to the defensive side and had better quickness to react to shots than Wilt did) blocking 10+ shots per game seems pretty feasible given:

a. they were playing 45+mpg.
b. the pace and the larger number of shots taken nearer to the rim back then
c. it explains why Russell had the defensive impact he did to some degree. I mean we all know he's largely considered the greatest defensive player of all time but him being able to block that many shots goes a long way in explaining why those Celtics teams were so dominant defensively in that time.

So yes, the idea of Russell blocking anywhere from 10-15 shots per game does seem realistic to me as does other centers from that time approaching 10.
countryboy667
Pro Prospect
And1: 338

Post#134 » by countryboy667 » Mon Dec 7, 2020 4:38 pm

mstat13shuh wrote:Sorry I couldn't get back to you until today countryboy667, but thanks a lot for the response.

I was thinking period, not just in person; nonetheless, I do understand the economic situation back then when you say the tickets were expensive enough compared to the average income back then. Thanks for the clarification here.

That being said, are there any Oscar standout games that you recall, and when they might've been?

Hazy on the against who and when, but I remember--against the Hawks maybe?--Oscar had a game where he had 40 some points and the announcer saying he'd only missed three shots all night--some of the shots, of course, were fast break layups, but he shot a lot of midrange jumpers as well. He was so smooth and lacking in flash and drama that at the end of a lot of nights you were surprised by the numbers he ended up with.
mstat13shuh
Junior

Post#135 » by mstat13shuh » Wed Dec 9, 2020 8:40 am

countryboy667 wrote:
mstat13shuh wrote:Sorry I couldn't get back to you until today countryboy667, but thanks a lot for the response.

Hazy on the against who and when, but I remember--against the Hawks maybe?--Oscar had a game where he had 40 some points and the announcer saying he'd only missed three shots all night--some of the shots, of course, were fast break layups, but he shot a lot of midrange jumpers as well. He was so smooth and lacking in flash and drama that at the end of a lot of nights you were surprised by the numbers he ended up with.
Ok thanks for the recollection.

Just looked through a list of Oscar's 40pt games, and perhaps the following 3 games may jog your memory:

Mar. 13, 1967 vs Chi: 43pts 14-18FGM
Nov. 27, 1965 vs NYK: 44pts 14-19FGM
Mar. 26, 1965 vs PHI: 40pts 13-19FGM(playoff game)

Hopefully this list helps enough, if not, I could look again under a different type of search, either way, thanks again.
mstat13shuh
Junior

Post#136 » by mstat13shuh » Wed Dec 9, 2020 9:24 am

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
mstat13shuh wrote:Akron, OH Beacon Journal
Dec. 20, 1961

Apr. 4, 1965

And now for the finale:

Personally, I do think the idea of Russell and even Wilt(I say even because I think Russell dedicated himself a bit more to the defensive side and had better quickness to react to shots than Wilt did) blocking 10+ shots per game seems pretty feasible given:

a. they were playing 45+mpg.
b. the pace and the larger number of shots taken nearer to the rim back then
c. it explains why Russell had the defensive impact he did to some degree. I mean we all know he's largely considered the greatest defensive player of all time but him being able to block that many shots goes a long way in explaining why those Celtics teams were so dominant defensively in that time.

So yes, the idea of Russell blocking anywhere from 10-15 shots per game does seem realistic to me as does other centers from that time approaching 10.
Excellent observations, something I occasionally feel the need to mention on youtube whenever I encounter anything that I consider to be unnecessary & unfair criticism, not only about Dippy, but also about Russ & in that era in general.

I might also add that 2 additional factors leading to the higher shot-blocking opportunities were: 1) the rules favored the defensive player far more than the offensive player & 2)Around half the top scorers of the '60s were post players(i.e. power forwards & centers). Not attempting to negate what the defensive players and/or teams were able to accomplish, as it was quite epic & biblical on many accounts, only appropriating it in the proper historical context.

The only thing I take slight issue with here is you thinking because Russ dedicated himself a bit more on the defensive side than Wilt that he probably averaged more NBA blocks for his career. While I will say I unfortunately was not around during that era as some of you here were(I came up in the '80s & early '90s & became interested in the NBA when I became aware of Kareem's impending retirement), what I haveheard & read from those who were blessed enough to watch both of them master their craft(I prefer using "master their craft" because I believe it's somewhat disrespectful toward professional athletes to say they are "playing" a game, even though the people using the phrase "playing" probably don't intend any disrespect. But that's another drive for another day.)was that Wilt was far more intimidating inside, but Russ could block shots from 10 feet away & still recover toward the post(Paul Silas). I will suffice here by merely saying that, more so earlier in his career, Wilt, I believe probably averaged more blocks than Russell, but Russ was a somewhat more effective team defender because he had more lateral quickness to recover & rotate towards different players to challenge & alter shots. This I believe was partially, if not mainly, because Wilt needed to score what he obviously needed to score, but also to conserve his energy to have something in reserve later in games, which, of course, he obviously had.

In closing, here is a video that perhaps some of you on here may not have been aware of, and I wasn't either, until a couple years ago:

(Fast forward to the 20 minute version of this; it mentions Wilt's shot-blocking totals for his last 2 seasons with 76ers, which, I may add, was about what I estimated his averages to be for those respective seasons, according to the data that I've been able to procure from certain games.)
mstat13shuh
Junior

Post#137 » by mstat13shuh » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:52 am

I'm only uploading this now because I know now the minutes are unavailable for this game.

Logansport, IN Press
Oct. 11, 1961

Quote from article about preseason BOS CHI game

"Russell threw a block into some 40 shots by the Packers"

A few bullet points to add:

1) Elias Sports DOES NOT have preseason data back this far(I checked to be certain.)
2) According to the detailed articles which best covered this game, it appears to me that he played between 30-32 minutes.
3) While I do completely understand that this may be to some a mere preseason game, I'm still convinced it warrants sufficient coverage, for historical & documentary purposes.
4) Before I located this article(I actually located an earlier, brief coverage of the game from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch which mentioned something similar, but I wanted to see how much more detail I could collect.)believe it or not, I actually DID believe it was possible that Russ had 40 blocks or more AT LEAST once in a game. Did I think it occurred in preseason? No, but I didn't completely rule out this possibility either.
5) I wouldn't exactly close the book yet on this being Russ' highest NBA block total. It still may be possible someone, whether me or someone else, locates a total equally high, if not higher, than the above total.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#138 » by penbeast0 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:01 am

mstat13shuh wrote:...
In closing, here is a video that perhaps some of you on here may not have been aware of, and I wasn't either, until a couple years ago:

In this video it mentions that there is a stretch of over 100 games where they were keeping blocked shot totals on Wilt and Russell. Anyone ever seen these stats? I've never heard of this before.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
mstat13shuh
Junior

Post#139 » by mstat13shuh » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:48 am

penbeast0 wrote:
mstat13shuh wrote:...

In this video it mentions that there is a stretch of over 100 games where they were keeping blocked shot totals on Wilt and Russell. Anyone ever seen these stats? I've never heard of this before.
They, along with others, are probably from a website I contribute to: www.nbastats.net

Concerning Wilt's 66-67 & 67-68 blocks data, like I said above, I wasn't aware of that data until I located the video when I did.

Do I wish I had located it when it was initially uploaded so I could've inquired further details about it? Obviously yes, of course.

Nonetheless, I'm still truly blessed I was able to locate it when I did, even though I wasn't able to get as far with it as I've hoped.
But I STILL know there's more out there to discover...
penbeast0
And1: 8,679

Post#140 » by penbeast0 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:45 pm

So it's just Wilt? More Harvey Pollack data from games in Philly? He had some great stuff years/decades before anyone else. I remember the NBA prohibiting him from publishing his numbers he used to do on how much refs favored the home team (except for Mendy Rudolph who went the other way slightly, every other ref called more fouls on the away team in the year I saw, some by big percentages).
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.

Return to Player Comparisons