RE: Kevin Pelton & Realgm - Yes, Kobe IS A Top 10 Player of All Time

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Frosty
General Manager
And1: 13,470

Re: RE: Kevin Pelton & Realgm - Yes, Kobe IS A Top 10 Player of All Time 

Post#41 » by Frosty » Thu May 19, 2016 6:35 pm

Swagalicious wrote:He arbitarily decided what matters? Did you even read the explanation on why the other stats do NOT matter? That's why he didn't bring up the other "statistics", because they are truly the most arbitary values of them all. What would you like him to disclose, PER and its clones? Makes no sense imo.

He went into great detail in explaining his distain for PER. Specifically the claim that it was made to promote Lebron. The biggest issue with his claim is that ....well....PER was created before Lebron was ever in the league. I'm in no way defending PER or Hollinger. Just the logic of some of the claims in his manifesto. These types of uninformed rants undermine what could be an interesting presentation of data. But when you read how he's so biased in his desire to prove a point you end up questioning a lot of what he writes. He brings that on himself. I mean suggesting someone at ESPN get fired for not doing a deeper statistical analysis? Are you kidding me? Their target audience barely has the attention span to digest what he did present. They are not exactly gunning to compete with more serious sources.

He makes grandiose assertions like ". As soon as you start missing the point, supplanting your assumptions as facts, you start subtracting analytic value rather than adding it" and succumbs to that in his own discussion using stats and formulas he creates. With weightings he despises from others. He labels ORTG and TS% as "pure" and other "weighted" ones as less valid. Yet TS% is weighted with a never changing .44 factor that ignores every rule change that the league has implemented despite the fact that there would absolutely be impacts. The same issue arises in most per possession stats including ORTG.

He makes unnecessary claims like "Then the playoffs happened and Paul lost in round 2 to an inferior team. " That "inferior" team was SAS who had the same record. It just would have been much more convincing without such obvious bias. I mean the discussion points reek of bias which can't help but play into the actual analysis.

Or "There is no respectable & consistent criteria that has him losing out as MVP/POY all three seasons. None.". Well there's a well known and consistent requirement that's been around for years where players just don't win MVP's on teams under 50 wins. And the 2 seasons Kobe didn't win the MVP out of the three he had 45 and 42 wins. He may not consider it "respectable" but it's a consistent criteria that has been fine for everyone else.

In that argument there is a weird discussion around RAPM ratios to MVP

MVP stretch: the first number indicates where said player placed in the actual MVP voting and the second figure indicates where their seasonal (unadjusted) RAPM rates them.
2006 Nash: #1/#10 // 2006 Dirk: #3/#5 // 2006 Wade: #6/#1 // 2006 LBJ: #2/#7
2007 Nash: #2/#5 // 2007 Duncan: #4/#1 // 2007 Dirk: #1/#6
2008 KG: #3/#1 // 2008 CP3: #2/#26 // 2008 LBJ: #4/#5

Kobe Avg RAPM Finish: 7th (6.7)// Kobe AVG MVP Finish: 3rd (2.7)// Kobe MVP|RAPM Ratio: .403
Opposition Avg RAPM Finish: 7th (6.7)// Opposition AVG MVP Finish: 3rd (2.8) // Opp MVP|RAPM Ratio: .417

Why the weird selections? To get the ratios close? Why the ratios?

Kobe is performing a tiny bit better they the group he's compared him to.

If you looked at Lebron’s same three seasons (Avg RAPM Finish 5th (4.7)//Lebron avg MVP Finish 4th (3.7) Lebron MVP|RAPM Ratio : .79. So while he performed better in RAPM than Kobe he did worse in MVP voting.

He specifically decries the "ringz" argument and then uses it in his Bird/Magic discussion.
His “Finals Rate” was a 0.67, again, essentially right in line with the group at 0.71. However, his “Rings Rate” was also 0.67, while the group tracked at 0.48...I'll take 19% more chance at a ring over 1 extra RS win any day.

It all comes across as a great effort that loses it's effect because there are so many reasons to question the assertions.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,488

Post#42 » by Doctor MJ » Thu May 19, 2016 7:03 pm

andrewww wrote:I don't think his analysis even if he omitted certain parts...was any more offensive than your response. I also clearly know that you're not a fan of Kobe's so its not illogical to deduce that it seems that you're the one going on the offensive here.

Okay, I think that's fine of you to point out, but when tone goes bad, the problem is with the one who started the tone issues, and this is why I've encouraged D Nice to fix that.

Commend D Nice's effort, but with that tone, you're going to have issues with other people. Simple as that.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,488

Post#43 » by Doctor MJ » Thu May 19, 2016 7:44 pm

D Nice wrote:
2) I love RealGM but this isn't really the best audience. Fine to put this here, but consider putting it elsewhere as well. Clearly you're not impressed by the APBRmetrics guys, but realistically I don't know if anyone here has the background to have detailed debates on what you've done, and I think you should be pursuing devil's advocates.

Yeah...no. Even when Realgm Jars me it at least forces me to dig deeper and I've been exposed to people/posts that have influenced how I think, even if it literally only happened once or twice that's still something. These are the exact fantasy people I was talking about and the people who were telling me Marion > Nash >/= Kobe in 2006 (it's one thing when we quibble over the order of the top 5 or 6 players in the league, wholly another to suggest a fringe top 20 guy is the 2nd best player in the league...to do it that authoritatively turned me off forever). Feel free to post this over there and pm me questions or kickback or something and we can diolouge, you seem to have a handle on all of the math so you could probably field it yourself. Literally the only 2 people I'd ever want to see it on APBR (from what I've seen anyway, obviously have not done much message boarding in years) post on realgm (DRZA/Fplii...does SSB post there? If so 3). So yeah again nah. What exactly do you think they have a handle on that you don't? Also I think you're overstating the importance of mathematic rigor here: I wrote that stuff to elucidate but you don't have to be able to take it apart completely to follow the logic...at least that's how I tried to present it.

I can actually emphathize with this. I discovered APBRmetrics shortly after RealGM and really thought I'd end up leaving RealGM for a more intellectual crowd. I ended up really being annoyed with the folks on APBRmetrics for reasons much like you describe. But to be clear:

1) The issue wasn't that no analytics guys were worth talking to, it was that a lot of the people over there were guys who didn't understand the game enough to understand what the box score missed. This also meant that +/- stats were being mocked by a lot of them at the time, and such is no longer the case.

2) Nowadays you don't have to go on APBRmetrics to have such conversations, and there some really impressive guys operating with a toe in APBRmetrics & RealGM but who are mostly working on their own.

And to the extent you want to make sure you're coming to the right conclusions, you should seek them out.

And to the extent you think you're just that much smarter than all of them, I'd say that's naive. I'm not saying "They're much smarter than you." I'm trying not to make comparisons at all and just be even-handed, but to the extent analytics once was a bunch of cavemen who started using math, it's certainly not any more. There are guys who are using the same statistical techniques here that they apply professionally elsewhere, and they are doing so with solid basketball understanding and with the maturity that they listen to other people. Even if your technical prowess surpasses theirs, they would be able to have a conversation with you without issues.

D Nice wrote:
4) I don't your get perspective on APM. Surely you understand that it's not as simple as:

Purity: +/- > APM > RAPM
Math: RAPM > APM > +/-

You spend a lot of time talking about legit RAPM issues...that APM doesn't have, so why wouldn't you use APM alongside the other two?

Part of this is me coming from a chronological perspective. APM was around before RAPM so many of us got used to APM first. When all you had was raw +/- or APM, it was pretty easy to see why APM gave you something the raw stuff didn't, and while RAPM clearly gives us things APM doesn't, if you understand RAPM's biasing issues to me it should be clear that there is insight you can get from APM that you can't get as well from either RAPM or raw +/-.

So I see where you're coming at this logically but I evaluate things from the framework of a decision-maker; Obviously I know the differences are not as plain as I laid them out and ultimately I realize at some point to some people I will appear to brush things under the rug whereas others feel I over-elaborated. It's a balance. Yes you could use both and weigh both in some “ensemble” capacity but I already make it pretty clear I put very little stock in single-season RAPM so going back and adding an entire array of APM to an already-data-intensive post is useless when it isn't clarifying anything or adding to an argument. Maybe you're suggesting that looking at them side-by-side you could make inferences about Lasso error estimation? Is that what you're getting at? Because adding a less accurate model that happens to “dodge” a couple of the small flaws of the primary model mostly takes away from accuracy/efficacy...particularly when we don't even have any granular/quantitative assessment of the types of error we're actually getting in RAPM. Please let me know if I'm still missing something.

Okay so, you're being quite polite with me and I appreciate that. It really says to me that your previous vibe was from anger built up toward guys in the public sphere and doesn't mean we can't talk...

but I gotta say, while your tone isn't an issue here, early on in this part you said something that really set me off and I found myself having to calm down. It's funny, but I doubt anyone would have guessed it would set me off so, so I certainly can't blame you, but I'm going to get into the issue.

When you say you'r thinking about this as a "decision maker", you're implying that you think like an executive while I"m thinking like this like a pedantic fan. In reality, I have a graduate degree in CS and then I went on to be an executive at tech companies where I told technical people what to do in areas like this.

That sounds like I"m complaining about you hurting my ego, but this is not my issue. I'm well aware that my technical skills eroded and that I came to rely on others being experts in areas like this, and I have a lot of respect for those who further developed those skills - to the point where I"ve been quite successful both online and in the real world at handling talented tech guys who were known for being high maintenance...

and what that means is that I know what it means to be a decision maker, and the process you've been describing isn't it. A good decision maker simplifies as far as he can but goes no further than that. He has to execute, but he in his haste to execute he cannot miss nuance.

While I do understand that all of this basketball stuff is fluff, and that some statisticians cannot be bothered with doing side by side comparisons between individual players, you just spent a ton of time doing just that, so you really don't have that as an excuse.

You're using something where you bitch about it's weaknesses, but then you don't augment that with a similar stat without that issue along, and you go out of your way to roll your eyes at anyone who would use that stat in any capacity, and then you're doing all of this with weightings that in the end are arbitrary and coarse.

You do all this while essentially calling other people sloppy, without recognizing that for all the cool technical stuff you did, YOU have been sloppy too. So in addition to being motivated by anger and fandom, you aren't holding yourself to the same standards as other folks.

This isn't what a good decision maker does, nor is it what a good analyst does. Were you in a department I was running, I wouldn't feel like I'd be able to use your judgment were this how you were working. At most I could give you very precise technical specs.

I've been there done that. Give the guy something other guys can't do, and treat him with kid gloves because he gets upset so easily, then be a kind ear when he complains about things. Then do what I can to help make things better for him, but all the while noting that he's not going to ever stop complaining.

I hope in real life that's not what you are, but yeah man, that's how you're coming off here. I'm sorry to hit you like that when you just improved your tone, but it is what it is.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
drza
Analyst
And1: 1,852

Post#44 » by drza » Thu May 19, 2016 9:37 pm

First, I should point out that these responses are primarily to what was written. I didn't click on any of the data spreadsheets. That said...

*Really like the approach of offering a description of the different types of "advanced stats", how they're calculated, and some grounding on what they actually measure. That's so important to having a good discussion. Many tend to use the stats like a volume game, so if one stat disagrees with another they just cancel out in their minds (or worse, as you point out, many just pick the one that tells the story they like). So it's really cool that you started off by defining the tools and helping set the boundaries for the discussion.

*Like Doc MJ, I'm not sure about your decision to go kind of "all or nothing" with the different +/- approaches as opposed to using elements of each to help address weaknesses, where possible. I can see why you made the decision you did, especially if you're approach was to bring this to a strictly mathematical decision. When you do that, you have to make choices on which to include and which to not include. However, I tend to think a more complete story could be told by using some of the approaches you discard (such as multi-year APM and single-year prior-informed RAPM, for example) to help tease out your point.

For example (very general examples off top-of-my head, so I hope this doesn't end up being straw-man-ish), single-year on/off +/- data is pure, but can be heavily teammate/situation driven. Multi-year RAPM may be impacted by trying to assign someone an average value over multiple-years when their value may have changed several times over a given stretch. But the prior-informed, yearly RAPM scores may help to give some added yearly granularity that is more player-focused than the raw on/off +/- that helps characterize the multi-year RAPM results and make them make more sense. Or, in a different situation, maybe there is some concern that RAPM's tendency to minimize outlier impact might be falsely affecting a player's score. But if there is a multi-year APM study that covers that same period, we can get the perspective of a stat without that "outlier dampening" that might help us get a clearer picture.

*I'm not sure about your handling of older players like Oscar or Russell. Again, I can see the difficulty of producing a monolothic, statistically-driven list for the older players because much of the granular data we have for the current era just didn't exist back then. And the game is so different as well. It's very difficult to do. But again, when building my own mental framework, I don't have to be quite as rigorous and am freer to take whatever information I can find (whether it fits the statistcal models I was otherwise using or not) and putting it through my own mental filter. This of course opens us up even further to subjectivity and narrative, but in cases like the "old folks" I almost feels like there's no other way to do it.

In the case of Oscar, for example, you point out some of the stylistic elements of his game and give a reasonable thumbnail scouting report of the way he played and how it might translate. But the thing is, his approach was optimized for the time that he played, and there's no really great way to quantitatively say with any certainty how his game might have evolved if he came up in a different era. I'm fine with acknowledging that, and in cases like Mikan or something where there are huge phsyical/player availability issues I can see giving bigger "penalties" for this, but in the case of someone like Oscar who (using your examples) appeared to have floor generalship abilities similar to Paul or Nash but with a physical body type closer to Pierce's...I don't see anything to disqualify him from evolving his game to fit the more modern era. We just don't know. But (to me, more germanely) you also don't seem to attempt any kind of "impact" approach for Oscar. We don't have +/- data from the 60s, obviously, but team-based offensive performances of Oscar's offenses measure out as some of the GOATs, and Oscar's individual WOWY scores also measure out at GOAT-like levels. While neither of those metrics might have a slot among the metrics that you used, to me they are the best impact-data approaches that we have and to me they indicate that Oscar's in-era impact, particularly on offense, very well may have outsripped even Nash. So I wouldn't feel comfortable at all downgrading him out of contention for a top-10-ish ranking based on what I read of your arguments.

*I appreciated your argument for Kobe over Paul in 2008. It's an example of where single-year RAPM was a benefit. In 2008 I tended to feel like Kobe was a better player than Paul, but I couldn't find the evidence in the data to fully support it like I'd like. When we did the RPoY project, the RAPM data wasn't available yet and the arguments for both sides were so good that I ended up being torn on who was better. But the RAPM data, when it came out, was one of (the?) first dataset(s) I saw that clearly showed separation in Kobe's favor, and it was an impact-based measure which ran orthogonal to all of the boxscore-based approaches that favored Paul.

*I'll admit that I only barely skimmed the Kobe/Durant section, but I do agree with your bottom line. I've got my own marathon post floating around from Durant's peak season where I argue that even Durant at his best was never as good as the best we saw from Kobe.

*I'm iffy on your handling of playoff data, for similar reasons to how you handled the "old folks" data. Due to lack of regressed +/- data, and small samples of individual season raw +/- data, I again understand why your quantitative approach might not include much "impact" data. However, as you actually allude to later on in an argument for Kobe's defnse, we actually have playoff +/- data for the past almost 20 years that over years adds up to pretty significant levels of on/off data for superstar players. Thus, your playoff performance tab which (I believe I read you say) focuses almost entirely on the change in boxscore production from regular seaosn to playoffs...I'm just not sure how effective that approach is. As you point out in the rest of your post, the boxscores just aren't enough. While lacking any playoff +/- data at all from before 1997 is problematic in handling older players, since Kobe is the focus of your post I think it'd be fair to include some of the playoff +/- data for him and his contemporaries as a foil to the boxscore data comparison that tells a more full story.

*I don't think your modifications of KG's score were justified. Just in broad strokes, you base it heavily on your assumption that a) Troy Hudson couldn't possibly be as bad of a defender as the multi-year RAPM study suggests, b) that the multi-year RAPM over-emphasizes KG's Boston defense in the overall score, and c) that KG's score was overly inflated because of Thibideaux's defense. Addressing those individually:

a) Troy Hudson's defense. Paraphrased, your contention is that the 02 - 11 DRAPM dataset characterizes Hudson is a -2.6, the worst defender of the era, and that this is a specific type of error based on Garnett getting too much defensive credit carrying over from Boston. You support that by saying Hudson couldn't have been that bad of a defender, and scaling his defensive score back from -2.6 to either -1.6 (where Deron and Terry measure out) or even to -1 (where Telfair, Smush, and Calderon measure out). And if your assumption is true in that specific way, e.g. that Hudson only measures out that badly in the 10-year RAPM dataset specifically because he was downgraded due to Garnett getting a boost from his Boston time, then that justifies adjusted Garnett's DRAPM score from that 10-year dataset by 0.3 points or so. Is that a reasonable synopsis?

If so, some points for you to consider. First...yes, it's very possible that Hudson really was that bad of a defender (more on this below). And second, and more germane to your statistical argument, the available studies of the time (and therefore BEFORE Garnett went to Boston) ALSO concluded that Hudson was very likely the worst defender in the NBA during the 2002 - 2005 time era.

So, Hudson's defensive scouting report thumbnail. Hudson was physically very limited, short and extremely slight (listed at 6-1, 170 pounds). He had a narrow frame that didn't appear to hold much muscle, and that translated to a player that just couldn't/didn't fight through screens ever. His lateral movement was ok when healthy, but his length was crap and his defensive instincts sucked so he was very often out of position and unable to contest shots. He could be posted up, he could be driven upon and finished over/through...there just wasn't very much that he was good at defensively, even when healthy. Then, in 2003 he suffered a terrible ankle injury that drastically limited his mobility even out through 2005...which made his only possible redeeming quality (that he was decently quick) into another weakness.

Now, translate to the available studies of the time that would in NO WAY be affected by Garnett's time in Boston. Using Doc MJ's scaled RAPM spreadsheat, from 2002 - 2005, these were Hudson's scaled DRAPM splits:

2002: -4.93, 8th worst in NBA
2003: -2.38, 47th worst in NBA
2004: -4.43, 9th worst in NBA
2005: -5.20, T3rd worst in NBA

A few notes on the preceding. First, if you look at 02, 04, and 05 there is no player in the NBA that was worse than Hudson in defensive RAPM in all three seasons. There is only one that was worse than him in two (Michael Redd), and if you go back to your list of worst defenders according to the 02 - 11 DRAPM list, you'll see that Redd ties for 2nd worst defender just ahead of Hudson. Another important note: the terrible 2002 score came before Hudson even got to Minnesota, so no way it's a KG-dependent effect. Actually, the only year on that list that Hudson wasn't league-worst defender was the only year that he was both healthy and playing with Garnett. Considering that Garnett specialized in PnR defense, and Hudson sucked getting through picks, that would actually be logical. But there's another option as well...that, as you pointed out before, RAPM actually pulls outliers back towards the mean. So it's possible that Hudson is actually an even worse defender than RAPM shows, but that he was regressed more towards decent.

To that end, I point out Rosenbaum's APM study from 2005: http://www.82games.com/rosenbaum3.htm . In that study, Rosenbaum goes position-by-position and looks at the top-10 and bottom-10 defensive APM scores from 2005. It also lists the 2003 and 2004 defensive APM scores for each player. First note actually deals with the KG/Duncan/Wallace triad you mention later. According to Rosenbaum's pure APM, Garnett finished with better defensive APM than Duncan in both 03 and 04, and his 7.5 mark in 03 was better than any single-year mark that either Duncan or Wallace put up in that 3-year period (this is counter to what single-year RAPM says for those years, so just food for thought). But more germane to Hudson, his defensive APM scores in 03, 04 and 05 were INSANELY bad. Here is Rosenbaum's summary on Hudson as a defender in this period:

"Troy Hudson probably gets the award for the being the worst defender in the league. He is dead last among point guards in both the statistical and adjusted plus/minus ratings and his adjusted plus/minus ratings are consistently horrible. He is playing a game on the defensive end that is not remotely like anyone else’s in the league."

So, bringing it back to the point, yes, Hudson scouted out as very possibly the worst defender in the league. And looking at repeated single-year measurements for either APM or RAPM from the time (e.g. before KG went to Boston) argues strenuosly that yes, Hudson was really THAT BAD on defense. Most importantly, it invalidates your premise that it was some sort of Boston-based Garnett effect that caused Hudson to show up Horrible in the 10-year dataset. Hudson shows up THAT BAD defensively in any +/- based defensive study ever conceived, completely independent of Garnett's time in Boston.

b) That the 10-year RAPM study over-emphasizes Garnett's defense due to his time in Boston. You cite that the raw and RAPM defensive RAPM scores from 02 - 07 favor Duncan and Wallace a bit over Garnett, defensively, but that from 08 - 11 Garnett's scores are favored. I'm not going to spend too much time on the numbers here, so if you have a good rebuttal it could spark a discussion that would make me go back through the numbers. But I would argue that if you're right that Garnett's defensive 10-year RAPM may be over-estimated by his time in Boston, I would contend that his offensive RAPM is likely under-estimated for the exact same reason. In 2003, Garnett finished 2nd in the NBA in offensive RAPM and in 2004 he finished 1st. His single-year offensive RAPM in that time period was actually larger than his defensive RAPM. But in the 10-year study a lot of his value shows up as defensive. So I would say that it's not justified for you to in any way lower Garnett's overall RAPM score in your metrics by correcting only for defense, you'd have to spend as much effort into correcting his offense upwards.

c) You contend that Thibs' coaching schemes should count against Garnett's defensive RAPM scores. A few rebuttals. First, as you pointed out, while Thibs' team defensive rankings in Chicago were similar to Boston's, there was no defensive RAPM footprint on those Bulls even remotely similar to Garnett's in Boston. Despite having an (as you say justified) DPoY in Noah while playing in Chicago, there was no Garnett-like footprint. And if you apply the same "Thibideaux correction" to those Bulls teams as you do to Garnett, then team-leader Deng's defensive RAPM scores become pedestrian and DPoY Noah's defensive RAPM scores would fall completely into the noise. Without being overly rigorous, your approach seems problematic.

But going further, there is counter-evidence to your contention (that Thibs' defensive schemes inflated Garnett's DRAPM in a way that wasn't reflected in reality) that you don't consider and/or weigh much. First, the fact that Thibs was no longer coaching in Boston in 2011 or 2012 deserves more than a cursory blow-by sentence. Yes, the Celtics still used many of his schemes. But coaching is about much more than schemes, and players require active adjustments. If all that was needed was scheme, then the rest of the NBA should catch up pretty quickly, right? I mean, who wouldn't use a defensive scheme that was almost cheatingly ahead of everyone else? So then why, when Thibs left Chicago and they brought in a new coach, didn't the new coach utilize Thibs' defensive schemes and keep the team near the top of the league defensively? Noah is still there, the players remember the schemes, and by now (8 years after the 08 Celtics run) surely the rest of the league would have absorbed enough of Thibs' landscape-altering schemes that the Bulls should have been able to remain a top defense after he left. But they didn't. So for the Celtics to be a top defense for 2 full years after Thibs was gone argues that something else was going on there.

Another line of reasoning to consider is that even while Thibs was coaching in Boston, the defense flat didn't work without Garnett. From an old post of mine I found from 2011:

drza wrote:The thing is, because of Garnett's injuries in the past 4 years we can test exactly how the Celtics have played with and without him with a huge sample size each way. We also have a huge sample size with the starting unit without Perkins. I spent some time looking through 82games.com's 5-man units and this is what it told me about how the Rondo/Allen/Pierce units have played with every combination of big man the Celtics have had:

Garnett and Perkins: 112.4 points/100 possessions, 97.3 points allowed/100 poss
Garnett w/o Perkins: 111.9 points/100 possessions, 99.3 points allowed/100 poss
Perkins w/o Garnett: 109.5 points/100 possessions, 112.1 points allowed/100 poss

Now, let me be clear. Since Garnett arrived in 2007, the Celtics' main starting group (Rondo, Ray Allen, Pierce, and Perkins) in a Tom Thibideaux defense have given up 112.1 points/100 possessions when any other player besides Garnett was the 5th player on the floor with them. Just for clarity, the worst defense in the NBA this year gave up 112.7 points/100 possessions. And again, we're talking huge sample sizes here, from well over 200 games that Garnett has played in and 60 that he hasn't over the past 4 years. Conversely, with Garnett in the the line-up (with or without Perkins) the starting unit has given up 13 - 15 fewer points per 100 possessions. "

Yes, Thibs is a defensive genius and deserves props for his teams' defensive performance. But that Celtics defense was tied directly to the presence or absence of Garnett. When he was on the court, the defense was elite (at times historically so). When Garnett was off the court, even when Thibs was still around, the defense fell off a cliff. Thus, what RAPM tries to measure...the correlation between a player's presence and the team's scoring margin...was still measuring as accurately as it ever does. Garnett's presence DID correlate to huge changes in the defensive scoring margin that was independent of Thibs' presence.

Bottom line: I thought your OP had a lot of great stuff in it. Even if I don't agree with all of your approaches, it was a gargantuan effort. I do note some of the weaknesses that others have pointed out with respect to your tone and the sense that you had some of the same subjective/arbitrary weaknesses that you decried in others. Someone pointed out that you claimed PER to be designed for LeBron when he wasn't in the league yet...I've never been able to re-find the article, but I remember years and years ago reading that Hollinger actually designed PER for Jordan. That he wanted to come out with the combination of parameters that made Jordan's seasons measure out as the GOAT. Take that for what it's worth, but I'm almost positive it's true. In any case, the negatives of your OP don't outweigh the positives for me. I'm not convinced that Kobe is definitely a top-10 player, but in spite of any warts I think the post has good value for the informational content and the effort it took to create it.
Creator of the Hoops Lab: tinyurl.com/mpo2brj
Contributor to NylonCalculusDOTcom
Contributor to TYTSports: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTbFEVCpx9shKEsZl7FcRHzpGO1dPoimk
Follow on Twitter: @ProfessorDrz
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 17,717

Post#45 » by HotRocks34 » Thu May 19, 2016 9:57 pm

D Nice wrote:DATA PREAMBLE
Statistics is supposed to be used to build a robust set of tools but, unfortunately, Hollinger is essentially the guy associated with the “advanced stats” movement and its probably why I’ve had great pushback against it; the guy is a narrative-driven hack: his championing achievement of PER was crafted to make the new ESPN poster boy look better than the then pariah who was unanimously held as the games best player.

No.

For someone who apparently feels like there is some kind of conspiracy against Kobe by Pelton and others, you're probably not doing yourself any favors here by seemingly forming your own conspiracy.

Hollinger reportedly developed PER between 1998-2002 when he worked for OregonLive.com. And in his first published work, Pro Basketball Prospectus: 2002 Edition, he laid out the PER methodology. That book was published in October 2002.

So, apparently Hollinger began working on PER when LeBron was about 14 years old in 1998. And he fully elaborated on the formula in 2002, a year before LeBron even entered the league.

In fact, Hollinger first published the PER method just as the Lakers and their Next Jordan were coming off a three-peat. Before Colorado. So if anyone was a 'darling' at the time it would have been Kobe, not high-school LeBron. (Or, as drza points out, the recently-retired (Bulls version of) Jodan could have been the 'darling' for Hollinger; I've heard the same story about Holliner's PER and Jordan).

Sure, ESPN showed LeBron's high school games before he came into the league in 2003. But Hollinger didn't start working for ESPN until 2005 and thus would have had no reason from 1998-2002 to create a stat for an employer he didn't yet work for about a high-school player who no one knew would become an NBA star who excelled in Hollinger's previously-created formula.

I think that a real problem for Kobe when it comes to Top 10 lists, in addition to his relatively-unremarkable career as regards to a number of advanced stats, is that he always has seemed like a "second-best" guy. Second-best on the Lakers to Shaq; second-best in his generation to Duncan; second-best when compared with LeBron. If Kobe isn't better than 3 of his peers, some might think, then how is he to be considered better or at the same level as guys like Jordan, Russell, Kareem, Wilt, Magic, Bird, etc?

I personally have Kobe at about 10-11, depending on how I feel about Hakeem that day.
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the playoffs without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
dreamshake
Starter
And1: 2,462

Post#46 » by dreamshake » Thu May 19, 2016 10:13 pm

It seems to me that the most controversial or non-conventional conclusion you make has more to do with how low you rank the older guys like Russell, Wilt and Oscar than how high you rank Kobe. Obviously there's other names, like Larry, KG, etc. that many people would take issue with, but those don't stand out as dramatically to me as the old timers. Not necessarily calling you right or wrong - just pointing out that the bulk of your data/argument focuses on something other than what, to me, is the most contentious aspect of your claim.
D Nice
Veteran
And1: 473

Post#47 » by D Nice » Fri May 20, 2016 12:59 am

OK well now I'm not changing anything...

Doctor MJ wrote:When you say you'r thinking about this as a "decision maker", you're implying that you think like an executive while I"m thinking like this like a pedantic fan. In reality, I have a graduate degree in CS and then I went on to be an executive at tech companies where I told technical people what to do in areas like this.

That sounds like I"m complaining about you hurting my ego, but this is not my issue. I'm well aware that my technical skills eroded and that I came to rely on others being experts in areas like this, and I have a lot of respect for those who further developed those skills - to the point where I"ve been quite successful both online and in the real world at handling talented tech guys who were known for being high maintenance...

Ridiculous level of over-sensitivity here. The word choice was to underscore the exact point I made – short of anything granular to demonstrate that the value-added of adding ANOTHER single-year +/- model has specific value in the scenario you're bringing up (lasso/SS “correction”) it ; should be obvious to you I value what you have to say and I did NOT summarily dismiss anything out of hand. It's like you want me to do everything for you – If you have links to an aligned 10-year 02-11 APM study and some way of expounding on why you believe its other added sources of error don't detract from the analysis I'm all for it. But I stated MY OPINION in the post – when you literally have 10+ years of Raw +/- to balance against SRS that goes way way beyond the level of APM on the “noise/purity” tradeoff scale, ESPECIALLY when you have more robust multi-year data derived from more tractable math. If you disagree that is also fine. I'm all about ensembling man but when building an ensemble most of the time you add stuff it hurts – you have to be very careful about phenomena-isolation before you just stack like that.

When you say you'r thinking about this as a "decision maker", you're implying that you think like an executive while I"m thinking like this like a pedantic fan. In reality, I have a graduate degree in CS and then I went on to be an executive at tech companies where I told technical people what to do in areas like this.

I've been called high-maintenance and yet I'm the one who leads the explorations and design the UI/UX portions of all the software. Wonder how that could ever be with my petty small-mindedness. I will say I'm probably more in pure truth-seeker mode when building financial models (because there any kind of ego or short-sightedness gets in the way of making money) but this is completely different – I could really care less about “maximizing audience”; I set out to desmolish a rdiciulous set of double-standards and flat out lies that have been trumped up over the course of a decade and repeated so many times younger people are starting to think its true; to the point where I can't even kick back with a lady or friend in a sports bar and not overhear some clown saying “Kobe's not even top 5 or a top 10 player becauz advanced stats!” And even here I thought I was pretty up there on my “pure truth paradigm” - not a 10, but not any less than an 8.5

And to the extent you think you're just that much smarter than all of them, I'd say that's naive. I'm not saying "They're much smarter than you."

WTF? When was this ever stated or implied? I care very little about how smart you think I think I am, or how smart you think I think some random group of people on the internet from like 10 years ago are. I asked a very simple question of what you think they know that you or I don't so I can fill in any gaps in my skillset you seem to think exist/prevent me from making tractable derivations or assessments.

As to seeking them out...any potential holes in this are on the basketball side far more so than the math side. Which is another reason something like this goes here, not there – I literally all over the place say I am unsure about stuff and ask people to fill in if they've got something to say I haven't addressed/considered. Mathematically the only thing (that actually amounts to anything relevant to the logic laid out) up in the air is the KG stuff and even if you do NOT agree with my Garnett extrapolations re his 02-11 DRAPM fine...then he's the 3rd or 4th best player ever. That is not somehow mutually exclusive with Kobe being a top 10 player yet it seems to be treated as such...why I will never understand. But the next time I'm going to commit anything approaching this amount of time to a hobby activity is...never. It basically ate almost 3 weeks of my “downtime.”

HotRocks34 wrote:No. 

For someone who apparently feels like there is some kind of conspiracy against Kobe by Pelton and others, you're probably not doing yourself any favors here by seemingly forming your own conspiracy.

Hollinger reportedly developed PER between 1998-2002 when he worked for OregonLive.com. And in his first published work, Pro Basketball Prospectus: 2002 Edition, he laid out the PER methodology. That book was published in October 2002.

So, apparently Hollinger began working on PER when LeBron was about 14 years old in 1998. And he fully elaborated on the formula in 2002, a year before LeBron even entered the league.

In fact, Hollinger first published the PER method just as the Lakers and their Next Jordan were coming off a three-peat. Before Colorado. So if anyone was a 'darling' at the time it would have been Kobe, not high-school LeBron. (Or, as drza points out, the recently-retired (Bulls version of) Jodan could have been the 'darling' for Hollinger; I've heard the same story about Holliner's PER and Jordan).

Sure, ESPN showed LeBron's high school games before he came into the league in 2003. But Hollinger didn't start working for ESPN until 2005 and thus would have had no reason from 1998-2002 to create a stat for an employer he didn't yet work for about a high-school player who no one knew would become an NBA star who excelled in Hollinger's previously-created formula.

I appreciate the correction here man thanks. I'm one of those people who mostly does not believe in coincidences and all of the timing seemed forever suspect and I've literally never seen this posted by anyone so thanks. Literally does not change anything (people seem to be obsessing over small things that do not in any way relate to any of the suppositions/data but) but I'm all about accuracy. I won't edit the post to make it seem like I'm backtracking or whatever (the insinuation that PER is something that takes 4 years to devise is utterly and completely ridiculous) but I'm all about accuracy. +1.
I think that a real problem for Kobe when it comes to Top 10 lists, in addition to his relatively-unremarkable career as regards to a number of advanced stats, is that he always has seemed like a "second-best" guy. Second-best on the Lakers to Shaq; second-best in his generation to Duncan; second-best when compared with LeBron. If Kobe isn't better than 3 of his peers, some might think, then how is he to be considered better or at the same level as guys like Jordan, Russell, Kareem, Wilt, Magic, Bird, etc?
Did you read the post? This is mostly addressed. Don't have him anywhere near Kareem or Jordan. Magic was literally never the best player in the league if he is viewed through the same lens as Kobe...84-87 it is Bird, 88 and onward it is MJ. If 87 Magic > 87 Bird then Kobe was the best player on the planet in 2009.

DRZA wrote:*Really like the approach of offering a description of the different types of "advanced stats", how they're calculated, and some grounding on what they actually measure. That's so important to having a good discussion. Many tend to use the stats like a volume game, so if one stat disagrees with another they just cancel out in their minds (or worse, as you point out, many just pick the one that tells the story they like). So it's really cool that you started off by defining the tools and helping set the boundaries for the discussion.

Yeah thanks for this, I was actually contemplating deleting the opening portion after some of the responses but that's what I was going for.

*Like Doc MJ, I'm not sure about your decision to go kind of "all or nothing" with the different +/- approaches as opposed to using elements of each to help address weaknesses, where possible. I can see why you made the decision you did, especially if you're approach was to bring this to a strictly mathematical decision. When you do that, you have to make choices on which to include and which to not include. However, I tend to think a more complete story could be told by using some of the approaches you discard (such as multi-year APM and single-year prior-informed RAPM, for example) to help tease out your point. 

What you're positing sounds like the exact thing I did with the lasso adjustment, and you said you didn't read the Sheets but the Sheets are literally the point of the post, so maybe when you have time supplement this take by downloading?

For example (very general examples off top-of-my head, so I hope this doesn't end up being straw-man-ish), single-year on/off +/- data is pure, but can be heavily teammate/situation driven.

Which is why I only reference it when aggregating literally 4+ seasons of data...most references use 5 or more. That is a TON of data and, as I said, I balanced the “enviornment” factor with SRS – I never really refernce Raw +/- outside of unipolar discussions; for the impact stuff it is used to compute Boost for the reasons you laid out.

Multi-year RAPM may be impacted by trying to assign someone an average value over multiple-years when their value may have changed several times over a given stretch. But the prior-informed, yearly RAPM scores may help to give some added yearly granularity that is more player-focused than the raw on/off +/- that helps characterize the multi-year RAPM results and make them make more sense. Or, in a different situation, maybe there is some concern that RAPM's tendency to minimize outlier impact might be falsely affecting a player's score. But if there is a multi-year APM study that covers that same period, we can get the perspective of a stat without that "outlier dampening" that might help us get a clearer picture.

Yeah, this sounds like what Doc was suggesting, and what I responded to – I just don't know why I get the feeling you want me to do it when I've pretty clearly laid out why I'm using the metrics I am. If YOU GUYS want to do something like that I'd look at it, if you need help in doing something I'm more than happy to PM – data-wise I can pretty much build whatever.

*I'm not sure about your handling of older players like Oscar or Russell.......

Not to be an **** but maybe you and other people harping on this can give a better way? Instead of just basically saying “I don't like what you did here because I like how those guys thought about/approached things even if in terms of level of play there isn't much to go on.” I acknowledged the limitations of impact-centric analysis with those old guys when we only have reliable data for this era but the entire point of the post is that just relative to where guys like Duncan/Dirk/Lebron are ranked (5-15) Kobe is unequivocally close enough (better than some, close enough to others) in enough ways to state that he is outright a top 10 guy IF YOU HOLD YOUR LOGIC CONSISTENT. The only person I've ever encountered who is consistent in their criteria and Ranks Kobe outside his top 10 (I assume because I've never actually seen him say 1 way or the other but based on the way he talks about him) is Regul8r. That is literally it. Authoritative hypocrisy annoys the hell out of me.

*I'm iffy on your handling of playoff data, for similar reasons to how you handled the "old folks" data. Due to lack of regressed +/- data, and small samples of individual season raw +/- data, I again understand why your quantitative approach might not include much "impact" data. However, as you actually allude to later on in an argument for Kobe's defnse, we actually have playoff +/- data for the past almost 20 years that over years adds up to pretty significant levels of on/off data for superstar players. Thus, your playoff performance tab which (I believe I read you say) focuses almost entirely on the change in boxscore production from regular seaosn to playoffs...I'm just not sure how effective that approach is. As you point out in the rest of your post, the boxscores just aren't enough. While lacking any playoff +/- data at all from before 1997 is problematic in handling older players, since Kobe is the focus of your post I think it'd be fair to include some of the playoff +/- data for him and his contemporaries as a foil to the boxscore data comparison that tells a more full story.

This is one of those things, once you've read the entire post you'll see where I was going. The box-score approximations at that point were just to show that Kobe wasn't having any outlier-level dropoff in his PS offensive efficacy, in fact he drops off a tad less than most other ATG guys on offense. Beyond that most of the stuff leaning on the dropoff stuff pertains to Kobe vs. Magic & Bird as well as the KG/Karl/D-Rob notes.

So, Hudson's defensive scouting report thumbnail. Hudson was physically very limited, short and extremely slight (listed at 6-1, 170 pounds). He had a narrow frame that didn't appear to hold much muscle, and that translated to a player that just couldn't/didn't fight through screens ever. His lateral movement was ok when healthy, but his length was crap and his defensive instincts sucked so he was very often out of position and unable to contest shots. He could be posted up, he could be driven upon and finished over/through...there just wasn't very much that he was good at defensively, even when healthy. Then, in 2003 he suffered a terrible ankle injury that drastically limited his mobility even out through 2005...which made his only possible redeeming quality (that he was decently quick) into another weakness.

So, bringing it back to the point, yes, Hudson scouted out as very possibly the worst defender in the league. And looking at repeated single-year measurements for either APM or RAPM from the time (e.g. before KG went to Boston) argues strenuosly that yes, Hudson was really THAT BAD on defense. Most importantly, it invalidates your premise that it was some sort of Boston-based Garnett effect that caused Hudson to show up Horrible in the 10-year dataset. Hudson shows up THAT BAD defensively in any +/- based defensive study ever conceived, completely independent of Garnett's time in Boston.

Appreciated this response, thanks. As to the scaled sheet, that's completely flawed. I understand doing it for 2002/2003 due to the need for the algorithm to warm up but the same kind of assumption he's making here is the same as “POY shares” and its just wrong – there is no reason to believe all seasons follow similar impact footprint distributions, just like there is no reason to assume the 3rd ranked player in 1981 is better than the 4th ranked player in 2003. But yeah, the Troy Hudson stuff was way more esoteric than the Thibs stuff and matters a lot less. I'm totally cool with ignoring that adjustment but I think you're completely wrong about the Thibs stuff and Pierce's split is HUGE validation for me there. But that was EXACTLY the retort I was looking for. +1.

As to the Thibs stuff, nothing you said invalidates anything I said. In actuality I think it is bloody obvious you need to fill minimum skillset/understanding thresholds to enact any set of tactics and that without KG Boston's D suffered tremendously. But the fact that he was able to replicate this in Chi with Deng/Noah demonstrates that there wasn't anything singular in what Garnett was going compared to guys that are (by ATG standards) afterthoughts. The magnitude of the dropoff doesn't sync to the compression in the way I think you're thinking it does...there is literally no way to make the type of lift Thibs saw “evaporate” when running the algorithm without doing the exact type of thing I did in constructing the penalty. But even IF you find all of that to be horsecrap and truly believe that KG was 25% more impactful than Kobe on a per-possession basis over the course of their RS primes, and over 30% more impactful than Duncan, then absolutely rank KG 3rd or 4th but do NOT act like that is somehow evidence that Kobe isn't top 10 because even without permeating the data for these types of errors he tracks as exactly that...low-end top 10, better than KG/Dirk prime wise but not GOAT (Lebron...and again KG if you believe that).

@ People who keep accusing me of being arbitrary - I can't say what should be said because I'd surely be banned but either BE PRECISE or BE GONE.

EDIT - Do people literally not understand that the ATG scoring system is just a framework?? You do not have to in any way believe in/subscribe to for the actual arguments that matter to carry weight. I mean I cannot tell the difference between if people are literally just nitpicking or are being that obtuse. You can completely ignore any attempt to value and stack individual seasons (what other better way there is to do it I do not know) and it changes not one thing. :banghead:

DISCLAIMER: Career Score is not a quantitatively tractable metric - It is so YOU can see how I see things and gives people a starting point from which to argue if they think I'm off in either broad strokes or in a specific season evaluation.

Hopefully that suffices.
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 17,717

Post#48 » by HotRocks34 » Fri May 20, 2016 1:56 am

D Nice wrote:I appreciate the correction here man thanks. I'm one of those people who mostly does not believe in coincidences and all of the timing seemed forever suspect and I've literally never seen this posted by anyone so thanks. Literally does not change anything (people seem to be obsessing over small things that do not in any way relate to any of the suppositions/data but) but I'm all about accuracy. I won't edit the post to make it seem like I'm backtracking or whatever (the insinuation that PER is something that takes 4 years to devise is utterly and completely ridiculous) but I'm all about accuracy. +1.

No problem and you're welcome. Sure, it likely didn't take Hollinger 4 years to develop PER but I guess that's when he started to play around with different approaches to it. I don't know the definitive info, but that's the story about when he supposedly came up with the concept of PER.

I agree with you that people will take the "well he was wrong about 'X' (PER origins) and so he's wrong about 'Y'" (everything else) approach to what you wrote. That's a typical debating tactic and it's probably even more likely to be used here since you seem to know more about statistics than most of the people here do.

D Nice wrote:I think that a real problem for Kobe when it comes to Top 10 lists, in addition to his relatively-unremarkable career as regards to a number of advanced stats, is that he always has seemed like a "second-best" guy. Second-best on the Lakers to Shaq; second-best in his generation to Duncan; second-best when compared with LeBron. If Kobe isn't better than 3 of his peers, some might think, then how is he to be considered better or at the same level as guys like Jordan, Russell, Kareem, Wilt, Magic, Bird, etc?

Did you read the post? This is mostly addressed. Don't have him anywhere near Kareem or Jordan. Magic was literally never the best player in the league if he is viewed through the same lens as Kobe...84-87 it is Bird, 88 and onward it is MJ. If 87 Magic > 87 Bird then Kobe was the best player on the planet in 2009.

I read most of the post, yes. And I know you don't have him Top 5. I have not had the chance to go through all your data and links. I certainly agree with you about Bird as league's best from 84-86. I'm not sure about 1986-87 as that was a very good year for Magic. Agreed about 1988-on being MJ.

1986-87 was when Magic was first "unleashed" in the Lakers system rather than taking a backseat to Kareem, I'm pretty sure. Was Magic ever definitively the best player in the league? No, he wasn't. I agree with you about that and, yes, that is an analogous situation to Kobe and I understand the point you're making with that comparison.

You know more about statistics and statistical modelling than I do. I have no doubt about that.

I appreciate and respect the amount of work and knowledge that you put into the first posts and I encourage you to share your thoughts with others (as you're doing here), including people who might be able to "echo" them to a larger audience. I don't necessarily agree with your conclusions, but I definitely respect the amount of research and knowledge and effort it took for you to make the original posts.

Good job!
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the playoffs without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
microfib4thewin
Head Coach
And1: 454

Post#49 » by microfib4thewin » Fri May 20, 2016 5:22 am

The “Junk Data” Argument
Kobe had his fair share of injuries/non-prime seasons included in his split. If the argument is simply that this window paints him in a better light than a closer examination would otherwise it is incorrect. Looking strictly at their 3 worst RAPM showings Kobe’s peak/prime stretch is going to be held back more by his lower-level seasons than everybody else in the top 15 save Nash…and even with Nash there’s a caveat. See below.

You decided on your own that Kobe is the most screwed by the RAPM splits that are available(2002-11) with the exception of Nash, and that is something that I contest. Duncan is older than Kobe is and his prime arguably ended in 07 or 08. Dirk is the same age as Kobe, and the fact that '11 Dirk was that incredible isn't because he's in his prime. He was already 32. Kobe not being able to play at Dirk's level that year is Kobe's own shortcoming. Wade had one of his prime season wasted because of an injury and he had to play with Lebron whom you said likes to marginalize teammates. Right off the bat, you are already determined to say that it is the circumstances and not Kobe himself that is reflected by his inferior stats, which isn't all that different from other Kobe discussions that have come up.

I am no stat geek. I don't know what logic you used to adjust the RAPM data, and I only have Engelmann's RAPM(https://sites.google.com/site/rapmstats/) and this sheet(https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h20JYcZJu2tGNIyOwVbNfez0-zXXy5ItLyXC4qTE5D8/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0) for RAPM info. A cursory glance at them suggests:

Kobe is not close to Duncan

The spreadsheet had Duncan beating Kobe every year except 2009 and 2010. Kobe fared better in Engelmann's RAPM for the 02-11 split beating out Duncan slightly, but that doesn't count Duncan's 98-01 season while Kobe is only missing 01 as far as great seasons go. Duncan also beat out Kobe in 2012 and 2013 so that doesn't go in Kobe's favor either.

Dirk does have a case, though it may not be strong enough

The spreadsheet has Kobe beating Dirk in 02 and 08-10 while Dirk had Kobe beat in 03-07 and 11-12. There is a similar trend in Engelmann's RAPM except Dirk also beat Kobe in 02. Its 02-11 RAPM has Kobe beat Dirk by a slightly larger margin compared to Duncan.

Kobe has the same problem that Nash does

On both sources Kobe beat Nash in 06 and 09 whereas Nash is better in all the other years. However, the margin between them was nearly non-existent from 06-10, with Nash blowing Kobe out of the water in '11 and '12 just like Duncan and Dirk. Nash consistently had a higher ORAPM but a lower DRAPM. While Kobe is a better 2 way player compared to Nash I don't see Kobe's argument as a good 2 way player in general as his only years where his DRAPM was in the positive is 03 and 08-10. When his team got better and he started to improve on DRAPM in 08 his ORAPM declined. Overall though his RAPM in 08-10 is higher than 06-07.

As for Nash not being able to play in a more traditional lineup, that could be true, though Nash never had the opportunity to prove himself. The only time where he played with a traditional center was Shaq, and he was already 36 that didn't play a lick of defense. The FO may have consciously avoid doing that but I lean more towards FO incompetence. The Mavs had a great team in 03 and Cuban decide to tear it down for a team that played no D in 04. The Suns best decision was signing Nash for 10 mil/year. Ever since Nash joined the team kept losing assets and valuable players for nothing. The Lakers FO is light years ahead of the upper management that Nash had to work with.

As expected, T-Mac has nothing on Kobe

T-Mac had a better year in 05. Other than that nothing noteworthy about this comparison. I am not sure why you feel compelled to include T-Mac, as the only year where people feel he may have been better is 03 due to box stats.

2008 Kobe vs Paul

Kobe beat Paul in RAPM but Paul did not have the luxury of accumulating as many prime seasons as Kobe did. I have Paul as the MVP that year but I can accept the thinking that Kobe was more deserving. However, your argument is questionable to the point where I wonder if it can convince a neutral bystander. First, you decide to compare teammates using their 06-11 RAPM split, even though what they did in other seasons should not have any merit on what they actually did in 08. And to be fair, 08 RAPM did favor Paul's best teammates. Second, Kobe didn't play 21 games without Bynum and Gasol. They played their first game without Bynum on Jan 14 and their last game before Pau started playing on Feb 1 for a total of 9 games. In addition, saying that the Lakers 'played with three different rosters' as if it was anything impressive is disingenuous. Two of the iterations is replacing one all-star center with another and the third iteration is a mediocre Laker team that would not have amounted to anything team success wise. Fourth, using a single game as a major factor in this comparison simply because both teams were matched up with similar records at the last games of the season is nothing but narratives. One regular season game has no statistic significance regardless of context.

Kobe and Wade were a deadlock during their best

Wade had a higher RAPM in 06, Kobe overtook him in 07 and 08, and Wade led again in 09 and 10. What is surprising to me is that Wade didn't have any edge over Kobe in DRAPM as I thought Wade did better.

I may touch up on Durant, KG and Lebron later.

The RAPM Attribute for the Kobe/T-Mac and Kobe/Paul windows is standard RAPM ~ it would not have been fair to use Kobe's adjusted data here without a valid SYE for Paul or McGrady. I had to use NPI Data for Kobe/Tracy's 2001 RAPM cell. In the Kobe/Wade and Kobe/Nash window aRAPM is used for the RAPM Attribute cells. In seasons used in the Kobe/KD window were not concurrent and as such their in-season RAPM ranking (in terms of top listed players) was used.

The Boost Attribute combines pure raw +/- with Team SRS to balance team strength with the players on/off imprint. Its up to the individual how much he or she wants to weigh this but when you're talking about 4+ seasons of data it's a lot to ignore, particularly when it is the only truly pure data we have. The formula for Boost is simply: [(Raw +/-) + (1.5*SRS)]/2.

The Team O Attribute doesn't represent any distilled metric, I simply provided the Raw Offensive +/- and Seasonal Team Offensive Ranking for the player/team of interest.

You accuse Hollinger of conjuring up some magic formula and yet you decide to create your own. How did you come up with the weight that you have given on raw +/- and SRS? The teammate lift and the success section were extensions to something that you came up with that has no proper explanation on the science behind it.

While the effort is commendable I don't think the approach was proper. It is pretty obvious you could not let go of the bias you have for these players and it is hard to see this work as a neutral standpoint. There is so much subjectivity injected in these numbers and there is a lot of the whole 'Kobe had it worse than everyone else' when discussing context that this plays out more as another propaganda for Kobe.
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#50 » by Volcano » Fri May 20, 2016 8:11 am

microfib4thewin wrote:
The RAPM Attribute for the Kobe/T-Mac and Kobe/Paul windows is standard RAPM ~ it would not have been fair to use Kobe's adjusted data here without a valid SYE for Paul or McGrady. I had to use NPI Data for Kobe/Tracy's 2001 RAPM cell. In the Kobe/Wade and Kobe/Nash window aRAPM is used for the RAPM Attribute cells. In seasons used in the Kobe/KD window were not concurrent and as such their in-season RAPM ranking (in terms of top listed players) was used.

The Boost Attribute combines pure raw +/- with Team SRS to balance team strength with the players on/off imprint. Its up to the individual how much he or she wants to weigh this but when you're talking about 4+ seasons of data it's a lot to ignore, particularly when it is the only truly pure data we have. The formula for Boost is simply: [(Raw +/-) + (1.5*SRS)]/2.

The Team O Attribute doesn't represent any distilled metric, I simply provided the Raw Offensive +/- and Seasonal Team Offensive Ranking for the player/team of interest.

You accuse Hollinger of conjuring up some magic formula and yet you decide to create your own. How did you come up with the weight that you have given on raw +/- and SRS? The teammate lift and the success section were extensions to something that you came up with that has no proper explanation on the science behind it.

While the effort is commendable I don't think the approach was proper. It is pretty obvious you could not let go of the bias you have for these players and it is hard to see this work as a neutral standpoint. There is so much subjectivity injected in these numbers and there is a lot of the whole 'Kobe had it worse than everyone else' when discussing context that this plays out more as another propaganda for Kobe.

ahh..wtf, so he used a (likely flawed) team rating to rank an individual player?

Looking at SRS, it has nothing to do with individual impact:
http://www.sports-reference.com/blog/2015/03/srs-calculation-details/
http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=39

so he just multiplies team SRS by 1.5 and adds it to a player's raw +/- then divides it by two..am I understanding this correctly?
Blackmill
Senior
And1: 719

Post#51 » by Blackmill » Fri May 20, 2016 9:06 am

microfib4thewin wrote:I am no stat geek. I don't know what logic you used to adjust the RAPM data.

I can try to explain although I am not a stats person either. My experience in mathematics is more abstract.

As I understand it, the logic behind the adjustment is that single-year RAPM is unreliable, where else long run, multi-year RAPM is stable. Thus, if we wish to look at single-year RAPM values, we need make some form of correction.

If we assume the 10-year RAPM is an accurate measure, we can determine how inaccurate (on average) a player's single-year RAPM splits are by averaging them, and comparing the result to the player's 10-year RAPM. Specifically, we divide the average RAPM by the 10-year RAPM, to determine how far below a player's true RAPM his splits rate him.

For instance, Kobe's average RAPM splits over the ten years is 3.8 but his 10-year RAPM is 6.1, a large difference. This means, on average, Kobe's splits are 3.8/6.1=0.63 times what they should be assuming the premise. For comparison, Duncan's splits would, again on average, underrate him by a factor of 0.89.

Now, some players are hurt more by the inaccuracy in their splits than others, which is where the correction takes place. This is achieved by multiplying the player's splits by the average "inaccuracy" in the RAPM splits over all the players being evaluated, and dividing by how inaccurate the individual player's splits are. Essentially, we force the RAPM splits to "undervalue" each player equally.

Using the data as an example, the RAPM splits underrate the collection of eleven players by a factor of ~0.75, on average. Thus, we would multiply Kobe's RAPM splits by 0.75/0.63=1.19 to eliminate the error. So what does all this do? It makes a player's average RAPM over the ten years equal his 10-year RAPM times the average "inaccuracy" of the splits over every player.

I'll admit, that last part is something that confuses me. If we are assuming the 10-year RAPM is an accurate measurement of player impact I would think we would want the average of the player's adjusted splits to equal his 10-year RAPM. That said, this would make no difference in the results proportionally.

The validity of this method seems to depend on (1) whether the 10-year RAPM is actually representative of a player's true impact on the point differential and (2) whether the inaccuracy in a player's RAPM splits is distributed evenly over his seasons.

Finally, take what I wrote with a grain of salt, since I am not an expert in statistical modeling.
Frosty
General Manager
And1: 13,470

Post#52 » by Frosty » Fri May 20, 2016 2:45 pm

When you analyze their teams as the man closely I don't know how anyone can paint them as having tangibly more impact than Bryant did. In order to facilitate clean comparisons I used their uninterrupted stretches as “the man” while they were in their prime only on contender-quality teams; 84-89 Magic, 84-88 Bird, and 08-11 Kobe(2011 is not Kobe's prime but considering I used 6 years of Magic and 5 of Bird I wanted at least 4 from Kobe).

So we've established the sample time period

When you analyze their teams as the man closely I don't know how anyone can paint them as having tangibly more impact than Bryant did

On the opposite end of the spectrum Kobe shows him self to be a completely ridiculous team-carrier, a GOAT floor type guy. He averaged 44 freaking wins with the 06/07 Lakers

Larry joins the 29 win Celtics and immediately takes them to 61 Wins. That's GOAT level impact and GOAT floor.

Kobe is a top 10 player ever. Either that or Magic/Larry aren't and Lebron has 0 chance at top 5. Let's leave the narrative concoctions to Pelton & company

Any impact-centric argument made for Bird has to be strictly about defense.

No

He has the portability edge, Kobe has the Havoc edge, and the box scores are virtually inseparable.

Havoc? I thought we were leaving the narrative concoctions to others.

I could see someone slightly preferring Larry's RS numbers; he was a bit more efficient and 27ppg/7apg is (to me anyway) the optimal scoring/assisting threshold for every ATG wing not named Jordan (and Durant in the RS) – but, IMO, Kobe has the advantage in the PS: he's actually more efficient after factoring in turnovers and gives you +3.5ppg while trailing by only 1.0apg. Weighing RS/PS equally their per-possession offense is essentially a wash.

06-10 RS Kobe: 30.0ppg/5.0apg - 56.5TS% 10.5TO%
84-88 RS Bird: 27.0ppg/7.0apg - 59.0TS% 11.5TO%
06-10 PS Kobe: 30.0ppg/5.5apg - 57.0TS% 11.0TO%
84-88 PS Bird: 26.5ppg/6.5apg - 57.5TS% 12.0TO%

Interesting...Ummm wait a sec.. the original data for Kobe was 2008-2011 and you were crusing along with that data...then bam suddenly we add in 2 post seasons where Kobe exited in the first round playing against Phoenix (not known for their defense) in both years and remove his 2011 PS which isn't a very good season for him. hmmmmm

Also, including only scoring, assists and TS% is a very Kobe friendly limitation in these comparisons. Most people would agree that impact would include things like rebounds, blocks and steals etc. Both Magic and Bird often initiated their offense with rebounds to start the break.

The actual PS numbers (don't have time to see why their are slight variations in Bird's numbers) for the sample you were originally working with are.

Bird PS - 26.3P/9.7r/6.7a/1.9s/0.9b/3.1 TO TS% .575
Kobe PS - 28.9P/5.4r/5.2a/1.6s/0.6b/3.1 TO TS% .565

I really don't see the advantage being in Kobe's favor here. He's scoring 2.5 PPG more but everything else is in Bird's favor. Some by large margins.

After witnessing your strong feelings on how wrong people are on Kobe, how you feel strongly against using narratives (yet use them throughout your arguments) and how you feel people use stats dishonestly to favor their agenda I would think you would be more careful.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,782

Post#53 » by G35 » Fri May 20, 2016 3:20 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:andrewww, take my opinion however you'd like. I'll not hide from the fact that I don't like Kobe. I've been open and transparent about that my entire time here. However, I think if you look at my posts on Kobe as a player you will find that I tend to think more highly of him than most on this board.

But my comments had nothing to do with Kobe but rather what I saw as a hypocritical approach. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered as it was clear the thread was written for a pro-Kobe audience and was being appreciated by that group. But yeah I wasn't going to just be blinded by the mounds of text and data and ignore the obvious agenda. I knew that my comments would offend certain Kobe and Laker fans who didn't want to hear that.

But why is that a problem? Why is it when anything favorable for Kobe comes out and the usual suspects want to tear it down. Yet when you get pro-posts for other players and anything that is not supporting it is seen as trolling and not productive.

Yes, this post has an agenda, he is transparent about that in the title. You are one of the more reasonable posters and do not hide your feelings behind facts/analysis as much as others. But it should be transparent that Kobe is not able to have a "pro-Kobe" thread without immediate trolling. If this thread had been titled "Yes, KG is a top 10 player of all time...extensive analysis rocks the basketball community!", there would not have been this much extensive trolling.....
I'm so tired of the typical......
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,830

Post#54 » by Texas Chuck » Fri May 20, 2016 3:44 pm

G35 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:andrewww, take my opinion however you'd like. I'll not hide from the fact that I don't like Kobe. I've been open and transparent about that my entire time here. However, I think if you look at my posts on Kobe as a player you will find that I tend to think more highly of him than most on this board.

But my comments had nothing to do with Kobe but rather what I saw as a hypocritical approach. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered as it was clear the thread was written for a pro-Kobe audience and was being appreciated by that group. But yeah I wasn't going to just be blinded by the mounds of text and data and ignore the obvious agenda. I knew that my comments would offend certain Kobe and Laker fans who didn't want to hear that.

But why is that a problem? Why is it when anything favorable for Kobe comes out and the usual suspects want to tear it down. Yet when you get pro-posts for other players and anything that is not supporting it is seen as trolling and not productive.

Yes, this post has an agenda, he is transparent about that in the title. You are one of the more reasonable posters and do not hide your feelings behind facts/analysis as much as others. But it should be transparent that Kobe is not able to have a "pro-Kobe" thread without immediate trolling. If this thread had been titled "Yes, KG is a top 10 player of all time...extensive analysis rocks the basketball community!", there would not have been this much extensive trolling.....

G35,

I don't have an issue with a pro-Kobe post. I agree that Kobe often gets an unfair rap on this board and I'm all for someone making a reasoned defense of Kobe. It's clear from the posts of Doc and drza that some of his work in this regard has merit which is great. But sadly imo at least it loses much of its punch with the way he manipulates the data. I won't get into specifics as others have touched on that in some detail already. He did address the two guys who complemented his work, but has ignored other critics who were very polite and respectful in pointing out some issues with his work. That's not how someone behaves who is interested in honest debate. He had an agenda(fine) and clearly only wanted to hear praise for both his methodology and his conclusions.

My issue has nothing to do with Kobe specifically at all. If he had made the same post about KG I would have hated it. If he had made the same post about Dirk I would have hated it. Many of us here are also fans--of teams and/or players. I think that's awesome. I don't mind anyone who wants to try and "sell" a guy they are a huge fan of. But I hate intellectual dishonesty. We have a couple of pro-Dirk posters here who I constantly combat when they try and sell Dirk as something he isn't. And frankly I found this OP particularly egregious because of how much energy he devoted to taking the intellectual high ground something he only doubled and tripled down in his responses. And anyone who dared question him he accused of either not reading or not understanding.

So it goes back to my original response to him: Why post this here?
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
G35
RealGM

Post#55 » by G35 » Fri May 20, 2016 4:57 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
G35 wrote:

G35,

I don't have an issue with a pro-Kobe post. I agree that Kobe often gets an unfair rap on this board and I'm all for someone making a reasoned defense of Kobe. It's clear from the posts of Doc and drza that some of his work in this regard has merit which is great. But sadly imo at least it loses much of its punch with the way he manipulates the data. I won't get into specifics as others have touched on that in some detail already. He did address the two guys who complemented his work, but has ignored other critics who were very polite and respectful in pointing out some issues with his work. That's not how someone behaves who is interested in honest debate. He had an agenda(fine) and clearly only wanted to hear praise for both his methodology and his conclusions.

My issue has nothing to do with Kobe specifically at all. If he had made the same post about KG I would have hated it. If he had made the same post about Dirk I would have hated it. Many of us here are also fans--of teams and/or players. I think that's awesome. I don't mind anyone who wants to try and "sell" a guy they are a huge fan of. But I hate intellectual dishonesty. We have a couple of pro-Dirk posters here who I constantly combat when they try and sell Dirk as something he isn't. And frankly I found this OP particularly egregious because of how much energy he devoted to taking the intellectual high ground something he only doubled and tripled down in his responses. And anyone who dared question him he accused of either not reading or not understanding.

So it goes back to my original response to him: Why post this here?

I agree with pretty much everything you said here...honestly I'm not a big fan of "rah rah" posts even for players I am a fan of... but I'm not a fan of these fantasy "build your player" comparisons or "put as many ATG's on one team" posts either. I think this post is here in response to Kevin Pelton's article about Kobe, which I think is ok. If one perspective is put online then why can't an opposing view be featured. I do think intellectual honesty would improve some of these debates...if people could take out their partisanship in their arguments...but that is never going to happen. So the only way to make it equitable is to allow opposing viewpoints and the let the chips fall. I appreciate your reasonableness...you are a poster whose viewpoints I can seriously since you have candor and intellectual honesty at the same time......
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#56 » by NyCeEvO » Fri May 20, 2016 5:29 pm

D Nice, appreciate the work.

You deserve multiple And1s just for the amount of time and effort you put into this.

Ultimately, your post addresses multiple issues and could probably be bracketed into separate sections/chapters with the later more specific critique building upon the earlier deconstruction of advanced stats argument.

It's going to take some time for me to get through your posts (lol) but I like what I've read thus far and I'm glad you posted it here.

Even though much of it can be viewed as "heady" stuff, I absolutely agree with your criticism of the misunderstanding and over reliance of advanced stats by most users. I'd love a discussion/debate about this topic just on its own.
PCProductions
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,989

Post#57 » by PCProductions » Fri May 20, 2016 6:08 pm

When you were going through the whole "Lebron has terrible portability" argument and using Bosh/Love as your only test cases (I didn't see a link your Lift spreadsheet) I noticed you conveniently left out Kyrie's massive efficiency gain and Wade massive efficiency loss from 2014 -> 2015.
G35
RealGM

Post#58 » by G35 » Fri May 20, 2016 7:11 pm

PCProductions wrote:When you were going through the whole "Lebron has terrible portability" argument and using Bosh/Love as your only test cases (I didn't see a link your Lift spreadsheet) I noticed you conveniently left out Kyrie's massive efficiency gain and Wade massive efficiency loss from 2014 -> 2015.

Efficiency is only one part of the argument.

Wade had far better seasons without Lebron than with, which if we are being intellectually honest is only natural. When you put a lot of high powered players together someone is going to suffer a loss in production. Who suffered the most out of Lebron/Wade/Bosh....Lebron/Kyrie/Love.....
ElGee
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,202

Post#59 » by ElGee » Sat May 21, 2016 4:04 am

D Nice wrote:Statistically, there is a staggering amount of data to suggest the absolute GOAT defensive players max out at 60% of the unipolar impact of GOAT offensive players. Below are the highest 10-year RAPM, 6-Year RAPM, and Single Season Raw +/- (offense vs defense) of the data era.

I won't repeat what others said (both negative and positive) except to say that 3 weeks of effort and all kinds of thoughts and exploration like this are always good, especially with some advanced math skills. On to a few specifics:

The issue with the quoted text above is the time period. If you play a time-machine game, then it kind of makes sense to limit a defender like Russell based on available data. However, before the 3-point shot, when spacing and rules were entirely different, it's not only possible for Russell (and, IMO, Thurmond and Wilt) to exceed the impact of today's bigs but the faint statistical signal suggests this was the case. Remember, those guys could only play by the rules of their time, and Russell dominated by those rules.

Furthermore, because of the compression of the talent in the league, it was harder to create separation. When expansion came, we started to see scoring in differences in teams increase drastically. (In college, those differences are in the 20's or 30's.) I think you're overlooking this factors and that's leaving you with such low numbers on the old-timers.

Weighted Longevity Scoring System
DGT = 1.40 (+9.3)
ATG = 1.15 (+7.5)
MVP = 1.00 (+6.3)
Top 5 = 0.80 (+5.3)
Top 10 = 0.55 (+4.3)
Top 15 = 0.30 (+3.5)

"DGT" signifies "Demi-God Tier" and represent prime jordan (over +9) level seasons. You have to sustain that level of play in both the RS and PS to qualify, if you do not you end up getting "averaged down" - this occurs until you get down to top-10 level seasons (at which point you'd basically have to be unavailable to drop any further). "ATG" represents "All-Time Great," and so on. If you'd prefer “Expected Championships” to “Career Score” (it's probably more intuitive) divide the player of interest's score by 2.2. Durability matters and as such there are injury penalties; you drop a tier if you miss 15-19 games UNLESS you have an extended playoff run (at least 2 series) in which you go HAM...that can average you back into your RS tier. If you miss 20-25 games you drop 2 tiers tier (1 following the same playoff adjustment) and if you miss over 25 games you drop 3 tiers (2 if you go bonkers in a very deep PS run). No matter ho great a season is, if that player is injured to the point he can't perform (either prior to the PS or in one of the first few games) it is capped at a Top-10 Level season (00 Duncan/92 D-Rob/13 Kobe etc). If you miss over 30 games you cannot qualify for a "Value-Added" season unless you literally take your team to the finals playing at an ATG level...if that occurs it can qualify as Top 10/Top 15 (depending on how many games were missed/how awesome the play was during games played and in PS).

(Yes, I read disclaimer) Unless I missed something, this is one of those instances where you've done something fairly arbitrary that's actually a large factor in your outcome (top-30 rankings). I'm not sure where you came up with the scoring system (or 2.2x multiplier relative to expected titles) but they are sometimes noticeably different than what I've calculated for top seasons. For me, if I input these with normal portability I get something closer to:

9.3 = 1.09 (0.34 diff)
7.5 = 0.72 (0.43)
6.3 = 0.52 (0.48)
5.3 = 0.39 (0.41)
4.3 = 0.28 (0.27)
3.5 = 0.21 (0.09)

So guys in the "MVP" tier (or +/- one tier) get the largest "boost" based on the estimations your working with. You give Kobe 7-MVP seasons and 2 top-5's. That will slowly add up. More importantly, you've got some very crude buckets that you're forcing players to fall into, when there's a tremendous amount of nuance that can also add up over time. This leads to strange jumps -- for instance, you're positing that in 1987, Jordan improves 3 points per game (!) and gets 0.18 extra titles in 88. (For comparison, I think he improved a point and added 0.07 extra titles -- an enormous 2.6x difference for you. Bird in 83 to 84 does a similar thing.) These are crude jumps on the steepest part of the curve.

All of this always has me wondering how far apart are we evaluating players? Not that there shouldn't be differences, but I think people become obsessive about arbitrary numbers on a list where a lot of complex stuff adds up to create the final output. For instance, as of my last list, I have Kobe Bryant 14th. I also have Magic Johnson 11th. But...

I only have 8 players ahead of Kobe for all-time offensive peak. So one of the biggest sticking points for me with him are on defense, not offense. Going through your valuations, you likely rate Bryant higher than I do in every season but it's hard for me to see a pattern where this is really offense-based. I imagine most of this is from defense and the crude bucketing of value (since you never cite his peak as ATG but do so with almost all peak players I have ahead of him, save for Robinson, Russell and Dr. J.). You might like his 01 and 06 seasons a touch more than me offensively, but otherwise it's difficult to infer real tangible differences in the yearly valuations.* You do credit him for 2013 when he was injured (?) -- I don't entirely get the logic there and thus I don't count that as value-added either. Either that, or you think he had a GOAT-level offensive peak and then you should just start a separate thread. ;)

So the difference in our valuation might (and appears to) having little to do with how we view him as an offensive player over time and seems to be resulting from some methodological effects compounded with differences in defense. If I add a half point of defense to every Kobe season -- not a small deal IMO, but people are fairly casual about defensive evaluations -- he'd go from 14th to 9th. For all-time career offensive value, I'd only rate Magic and Jordan ahead of Kobe.

*For instance, here's how I'd rank Kobe annually from 00 to 12, and I'm always open to subtle re-evaluations:
    00 5th/6th
    01 4th (miles behind Shaq/Duncan)
    02 4th/5th (miles behind Duncan, clearly behind KG/Shaq)
    03 3rd-5th (well behind KG/Duncan)
    04 4th (well behind KG)
    05 8th (well behind KG/Duncan)
    06 5th (?) fairly close to all players at top
    07 2nd-4th (clearly behind Duncan)
    08 2nd/3rd (notch behind KG)
    09 4th (mile behind LBJ)
    10 5th (largely defensive drop off)
    11 10th/11th
    12 8th-11th (but a weak year)
Check out and discuss my book, now on Kindle! http://www.backpicks.com/thinking-basketball/
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,287

Post#60 » by Jedi32 » Sat May 21, 2016 4:45 am

great thread d nice. i to believe kobe is top ten and i believe it easily. i know that's not the popular opinion here but it is what it is. you did great with your opening post. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Return to Player Comparisons