Rings - star vs. team/opponent strength

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

parapooper
Sixth Man
And1: 913

Rings - star vs. team/opponent strength 

Post#1 » by parapooper » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:31 pm

Ok, this turned out a tad longer than originally planned. There are graphs sprinkled in for anyone to check if they want to bother reading

A. Motivation for this post
Recently there has been an unusual amount of ring-based arguments posted around here in GOAT threads (particularly MJ/KAJ/LBJ discussions) and elsewhere. Since it seems to be hard to grasp for many that using team accomplishments to rank players is nonsense I did some statistical analysis and illustrated it with colourful graphs to make that a bit more obvious than it already is.
It’s a purely statistical, very objective approach that uses common sense calculations and treats every player exactly the same.
It tries to determine how good a player was each season, how good his supporting cast was that year (and not just his 1-2 best teammates career reputation), how good his opposition was and how big the gap between his supporting cast and opposition was, which the player has to overcome to win.
Obviously it’s not perfect and does not account for series-to-series variations in supporting cast and individual play, but as shown below it works very well for determining the relative strengths of teams and supporting casts.
Since it’s a bit of work I only did it for top12ish players (minus Russel, Wilt and only partially for pre-74 KAJ due to lack of stats back then)

B. Methodology
Since we many of us use advanced stats to rank players the obvious choice seems to use the same stats to rank teams. For this one would just calculate the minute-weighted average stat of the team.

I had to decide which stat to use between a few widely available ones:
RAPM and similar - would be my favorite but only available back to 2000 --> have to use boxscore-derived stats instead
PER - has almost no correlation with defense, strongest usage dependence
So it was between WS/48 and BPM. WS/48 seems to be more influenced by teammate-quality – particularly defensively.
I also picked BPM because it’s independently verified by its much better correlation with RAPM, a completely orthogonal, non-boxscore stat:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/bpm.html:
RAPM correlation:
PER 0.388
Win Shares/48 0.525
Box Plus/Minus 0.661

I’m sure there are going to be the usual replies along the lines of “BPM is trash – player X had a BPM of y in 19xx”. Fair enough, but there are always outliers and for the main approach here I calculate the minute weighted average BPM of a team between 15ish players in the RS and in the PS, average that, then do the same for the opponent and calculate the difference. Then I average that over 10+ years of a player’s career for some of the results below. So there is a lot of averaging going on that should even out the outliers quite well.

For 10 GOAT-list players I calculated the following values for their own teams and their PS opponents separately and combined for the RS and PS of each of their prime seasons:
tBPM = team-BPM = minute-weighted average BPM of the whole team
sBPM = support-BPM = minute-weighted average BPM of the whole team, but with the GOAT-list player replaced by a 0 BPM player (a reasonable replacement level that’s also easy to use in Excel)
pBPM = personal-BPM = tBPM - sBPM (basically how much a player bumps up a team's BPM [BPM and fraction of team-minutes determine this])
matchup toughness = opponent tBPM - own sBPM – how much a player has to lift his team to make it as good as the opponent
RS and PS versions of all of these
50/50-weighted RS/PS averages of the above

I could not do this for Russell and Wilt (no BPM) and pre74 KAJ due technically to absence of BPM and ultimately of detailed stats in general back then since other stats are calculate differently pre74 as well.
(For KAJ I did approximate his pre-74 pBPMs by scaling his 1974 pBPM according the the PER and minutes played before 1974 vs. 1974 - obviously I couldn't do it for tBPM and sBPM due to work amount).
I only did the calculations back to 1980 anyway since anything before seems hard to compare anyway and doesn’t interest me personally.
Obviously, despite the averaging there is quite a bit of +/- left in these numbers – the reason I calculated them to 2 decimals is mainly to have less confusing overlaps in the graphs below.
Really the only judgement calls were using BPM (with WS the only real alternative, which agrees less well with the only available orthogonal statistical method), weighting RS and PS 50/50 and using a replacement level BPM of 0. Those are about as neutral as one could possibly be and don’t inherently favour any specific player.

C. Confirmation of the validity of the method:
C.1. tBPM in advancing PS rounds
To check if tBPM is a good rough measure of team strength here are the average tBPMs of the opponents of the last 37 champions (who as champions had on average high seeds):
1st round: -0.06 tBPM
2nd round: 1.01 tBPM
conf. final: 1.49 tBPM
NBA finals: 1.71 tBPM
champion: 2.36 tBPM
----> So that increasing tBPM each round is a good indication the method roughly makes sense.

C.2. best tBPM ranking
The strongest champion teams (tBPM) since 1980 were led by:
MJ 1996 3.88
MJ 1997 3.26
MJ 1991 3.245
Kawhi 2014 3.04
MJ 1992 2.95
LAL 2001 2.935
Bird 1986 2.88
MJ 1998 2.66
KG 2008 2.595
LBJ 2016 2.595
----> looks reasonable as well

C.3. tBPM matchup results
To check in more detail if the minute-weighted tBPM is actually a good measure of relative team strength I calculated the tBPM difference in all playoff matchups these players were involved in in their primes and checked if the win-loss result "predicted" by that matched the actual result of the playoff series.
For the 366 playoff series I checked (I counted series that 2 or more greats played in multiple times to save work):
320 (87.4%) were predicted correctly, while only 46 (12.6%) were predicted incorrectly with an average tBPM difference the wrong way of 0.38 tBPM and not a single series with a tBPM difference >1 tBPM predicted incorrectly.
----> this is an extremely solid result, considering that there are always surprises and evenly matched series. Even if you had a perfect way of measuring team strength (not saying this is) you would not expect a success rate >90%

C.4. PS toughest matchup vs. title chances

For further confirmation of the method here are the statistics on how often these players (in roughly their prime) won a championship when their toughest PS matchup (x=opp tBPM – sBPM) was:
X < 0: 100%
0 < x < 0.5: 82%
0.5 < x < 1: 63%
1< x < 1.5: 42%
1.5 < x < 1.8: 33% (without LBJ: 18%)
1.8 < x: 0 %
(there is one example where x>1.8 was done (by a player not on this list): Wade 2006 [1.995]– but that was aided by some unusual refereeing)

D. Results:
1. Star performance vs rings
First a look at the pBPMs (50/50 averages of RS and PS values) of the star players chronologically:

And here ordered from best to worst:
RS pBPM:
Here we see MJ, LBJ and KAJ clearly separated from the other all-time greats

PS pBPM:
Here MJ and LBJ are also clearly ahead while KAJ is bridging the gap between those two and rest - having similar peak seasons but falling off more.

RS/PS 50/50 pBPM:
Again MJ, KAJ and LBJ are so clearly separate that their curves are not even touching the curves of the rest.
This of course correlates well with those 3 being the pretty clear top3 GOAT candidates (disregarding Russel and Wilt)

Now to check how this personal performance correlates with titles:
RS/PS 50/50 pBPM, rings marked
Hmm, this looks like basically no correlation.

How about personal performance in the playoffs though:
There is a slight correlation (Bird won in his 3 best PS for instance) but overall it's hardly worth mentioning.

--> So the correlation between rings and personal performance of superstars is very marginal.
This may shock some in the “count the rings” camp but should not be a surprise to anyone capable of logical thought

2. matchup difficulty vs. rings
So what is logically the factor most likely to correlate with winning a ring? In my opinion the difficulty of the hardest matchup encountered in the playoffs.
So here I calculated matchup difficulty by calculating the tBPM (using RS and PS 50/50) for each playoff opponent of the 10 GOATish players I looked at and substracted the sBPM of their supporting casts that year (also using RS and PS 50/50) from that value.
The resulting value is the amount the star would have to bump his team's tBPM above the same team with a 0 BPM replacement player to make his team better than that particular opponent.

I considered adding the matchup difficulties over a playoff run, but ultimately the factor determining winning a ring or losing seems to be the difficulty of the toughest matchup that is encountered during a PS:

As you can see winning rings correlates exceptionally well with the difficulty of the toughest PS matchup.
For every player their rings are concentrated to an extremely clear extent in season when they had their easiest PS matchups and none of them won in their hardest couple of postseasons.

And the same is true when looking across all players (from above): the statistics on how often these players (in roughly their prime) won a championship when their toughest PS matchup (x=opp tBPM – sBPM) was:

With that in mind, who among these stars actually had the hardest PS matchups:
(prime years except for KAJ - couldn't be bothered with the 70s, plus KAJ won almost all his rings in the 80s anyway)
This will certainly come as a surprise to some
In agreement with the overall theme the GOATlist guys with the easiest matchups on average also have the most titles (MJ's matchups rank as pretty hard because he had the hardest matchups in non-winning seasons (see below)

How about winning vs. non-winning seasons:
in non-title seasons on average:
So MJ actually had the toughest matchups in the seasons he didn't win. (roughly 99-03 Garnett level [overall Garnett is lower due to 04 and 09-12 (which I included here although questionably prime)
For perspective, the only one among these players who won a matchup with a tBPM-sBPM >1.8 was MJ in the first rounds in 88 and 89 (2.19, 2.41). That was somewhat facilitated by shorter series though.

in title seasons, on average:
The toughest matchup that was one by one of these players in a 4-win series was 2000 Shaq vs. the Blazers at 1.79.

Obviously this method cannot account for outlier performances in particular series – but as the correlation with rings shows it still works exceptionally well.

Here are the rings were won by these GOATlist players ranked by toughest finals matchup:
(unless something really unusual was going on my over-the-thumb estimate from calculating all these numbers is that they are probably +/- 0.3ish correct, so please don’t reply with “haha 2012 harder than 2016” when we are talking about a gap of 0.02)
LBJ 2012 1.735
LBJ 2016 1.715
LBJ 2013 1.605
Magic 1988 1.525
Hakeem 1994 1.265
Magic 1982 1.245
Bird 1984 1.195
TD 2003 0.945
Hakeem 1995 0.875
Kobe 2010 0.86
Shaq 2000 0.835
Magic 1980 0.77
MJ 1991 0.74
KG 2008 0.69
MJ 1997 0.59
MJ 1992 0.565
Kobe 2009 0.475
Magic 1985 0.24
Magic 1987 0.215
MJ 1993 0.21
TD 2005 0.21
MJ 1998 0.16
Bird 1986 0.075
TD 1999 -0.04
TD 2007 -0.305
Bird 1981 -0.38
Shaq 2002 -0.395
MJ 1996 -0.44
Shaq 2001 -0.745
TD 2014 -1.19

And here the same with toughest PS matchup instead of finals matchup:
Shaq 2000 1.795
LBJ 2012 1.735
LBJ 2016 1.715
LBJ 2013 1.605
Magic 1988 1.525
Hakeem 1994 1.265
Magic 1982 1.245
Bird 1984 1.195
Hakeem 1995 1.13
Kobe 2010 1.08
TD 2003 1.05
TD 2007 1.01
Shaq 2002 0.96
Bird 1981 0.91
Magic 1980 0.77
TD 2005 0.75
MJ 1991 0.74
KG 2008 0.69
Kobe 2009 0.595
MJ 1997 0.59
MJ 1992 0.565
MJ 1998 0.245
Magic 1985 0.24
Magic 1987 0.215
MJ 1993 0.21
TD 1999 0.195
Bird 1986 0.08
Shaq 2001 0.06
MJ 1996 -0.44
TD 2014 -0.87

And here is how much these players lifted their teams during their championship postseasons, chronologically:

Here we can again see that winning rings correlates extremely strongly with this “toughest PS matchup” criterium (obviously a strongly negative correlation)……
…….and basically does not correlate at all with personal performance:
(except for Bird who played a lot better than usual during his title postseasons)

E. Some additional thoughts

First of all to repeat the main point from above - since some replies here seem to not get this:
Overall, there it is very clear that once a player has superstar impact him winning titles or not correlates _extremely_ well with the quality of his supporting cast and has almost no correlation with the variation in his personal performance (yes, there are counter-examples, but this is the overall-view.

It’s pretty clear that despite all the nonsense about LeBron having it easy he seems to be the player with the hardest-won titles, followed by Hakeem, while KAJ’s, MJ’s and TD’s titles were relatively low-hanging fruit on average mostly due to their strong (and well-performing) supporting casts. So if you actually were to use rings and consider the achievement involved in getting them then rings would actually be a pro-LeBron argument, not a pro-MJ and certainly not a pro-KAJ one. Not that I would favour this argument - you can only beat who you meet in the playoffs and you can only beat who is actually beatable (with 1-3 exceptions in NBA history). So it would be just as stupid to punish MJ for having no barely beatable matchups during his final runs as it is to punish LeBron for having more unbeatable ones.
So this doesn’t say anything against MJ for instance – he never lost a winnable series (outside of 1995) and surely also would have won those rings with tougher matchups (up to a certain point obviously). But to use his 6 rings as a discussion-ending argument over LBJ just doesn’t make sense. The variation in play between MJ, LBJ, KAJ's individual seasons is minuscule compared to the variation in play of their supporting casts.
All this should be obvious anyway, but hopefully the stats and graphs might bring it home for some who were not able (or willing) to grasp that.
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,237

Re: Rings - star vs. team/opponent strength 

Post#2 » by AdagioPace » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:35 am

1)Some players seem to be put in disadvantage given the amount of playoff series they played. The average naturally decreases. Dont you think. ? 2)Also. Obtaining a better regular season record gives you the disadvantage in this study and discredits the hardness of your PS effort. 3)I m fairly surprised about Lebron, especially regarding the toughness of those playoffs resulting in a ring. Maybe you put to much weight on the finals with teams like spurs and warriors skewing the numbers. if we made an average of the first 3 rounds Im sure the result would be much different.
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,793

Post#3 » by homecourtloss » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:35 am

Incredible post here. It's a shame that threads less well thought out than this get more views/replies.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,872

Post#4 » by eminence » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:15 am

If ever a post made me wish I wasn't color blind...
I bought a boat.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,990

Post#5 » by RCM88x » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:27 am

Surprised to see the Spurs '14 run ranked so poorly, wouldn't have expected that. Nothing else is really all that shocking. Amazing work OP, definitely going to spend some more time looking through this.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
Bad Gatorade
Senior
And1: 1,836

Post#6 » by Bad Gatorade » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:33 am

parapooper wrote:...

Essentially everything you wrote there is very intuitive, and matches my preconceived notions regarding the title runs for these players.

I've dabbled with a similar methodology before, but you've really gone to the limit here, and put in some wonderful work in not only showcasing an extremely reasonable set of results, but justifying your methodology rather well.

Biggest surprise is probably seeing how high 88 Magic ranked in "toughest PS matchup" - the 88 Magic have the 7th weakest regular season strength of schedule ever recorded. Looks like a bit of an outlier based on SRS analysis. Otherwise, the results generally make a lot of sense to me, simply based on my own knowledge and intuition.

Loved the "lack of correlation in title/non-title seasons" representation. Heck, I tend to enjoy anything taking a stab at championship bias, which I consider one of the hallmarks of lazy NBA analysis.

Absolutely wonderful work. This is what the Player Comparisons board needs.
I use a lot of parentheses when I post (it's a bad habit)
toodles23
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,468

Post#7 » by toodles23 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:55 am

Wow, awesome stuff OP. It would be a shame for this thread to not get more attention. Really hammers home the (should be) obvious point that basketball is a 5 man sport and one guy can only do so much, no matter how talented.

Kareem's basically the posterboy for your theory - he won 1 title in the 70s and 5 in the 80s, yet he only had two MVP level seasons in the 80s compared to 8 in the 70s (and it would be all 10 if not for the missed games in '75 and '78).
parapooper
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by parapooper » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:22 am

RCM88x wrote:Surprised to see the Spurs '14 run ranked so poorly, wouldn't have expected that. Nothing else is really all that shocking. Amazing work OP, definitely going to spend some more time looking through this.

Sorry, where exactly did you get that from (turned out to be a way too long post)?
The 2014 Spurs were actually the strongest non-MJ team on the list with a tBPM of 3.04. The Heat's sBPM was slightly negative in RS and PS, so if LeBron had actually covered hat 3.14+ BPM gap (4x higher than anything on the way to the finals) that would have been the biggest successful carrying job in all of the matchups I have analyzed for this (GOATlist guys since 1980) by a large margin. Where you should have seen 2014 rank very low (if I listed that somewhere) is in matchup difficulty for Tim Duncan (who had an extremely well-performing team with Kawhi better than him as well)
parapooper
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by parapooper » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:48 am

AdagioPace wrote:1)Some players seem to be put in disadvantage given the amount of playoff series they played. The average naturally decreases. Dont you think. ?

Yes, that is true. I tried to use only prime seasons for some of the averages, but a guy like Kareem would have his average pBPM and matchup difficulty decreased by his later years. That's why I have the year-by-year graphs in there as well and went to the extra trouble of estimating Kareems pre-74 pBPM. I could not do that for KAJ's matchups pre-74 - so that is another factor that makes KAJ's average matchup difficulty looks lower than it was (was a lot of work so I may not have labelled that everywhere).
So to be clear: I estimated Kareem's pBPM pre-74 (just by using same BPM/PER ratio as 74) but I could not do any of the team-related stats pre-74)

AdagioPace wrote:2)Also. Obtaining a better regular season record gives you the disadvantage in this study and discredits the hardness of your PS effort.

Record has nothing to do with it. A player would get an advantage in this if all his teammates (on a minute-weighted average) increased their playoff performance more than other teams do (on a minute-weighted average). I can relatively easily do these graphs for PS only but did not do it due to sample size and since for judging how good a team is weighting the RS 50% is reasonable - this still weights each PS game 4+ times stronger
Nothing is perfect - I just tried the most common-sense thing (50/50)

AdagioPace wrote: 3)I m fairly surprised about Lebron, especially regarding the toughness of those playoffs resulting in a ring. Maybe you put to much weight on the finals with teams like spurs and warriors skewing the numbers. if we made an average of the first 3 rounds Im sure the result would be much different.

Yes, of course, on average LeBron's runs are much easier than his hardest matchups. But as I showed in various graphs, it is the toughest matchup that correlates so extremely well with results. I was initially considering just adding up the matchup difficulty for each round, but that is intuitively not correlating with how difficult it is to win:
Say you have four matchup of +1,+1,+1,+1 - that would add up to +4 overall and be an almost certain ring (at least for MJ/LBJ).
If you however have four matchups of 0,0,0,+4 that would also add up to +4 but would be basically impossible to win a ring.

I think one way to score entire playoffs might to to add the squares of each matchup - so 0 -> 0, 0.5 -> 0.25, 1 -> 1, 1.5 -> 2.25, 2 -> 4 ... that seems pretty reasonablish. But as I said, toughest matchup correlates so well with winning I did not bother doing all that, plus that would introduce a much large personal input from me, whereas the above is really just a comparison of minute-weighted averages of the probably most reasonable stat with no manipulative weighting by me (unless you count 50/50 RS/PS as that)
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,990

Post#10 » by RCM88x » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:06 pm

parapooper wrote:
RCM88x wrote:Surprised to see the Spurs '14 run ranked so poorly, wouldn't have expected that. Nothing else is really all that shocking. Amazing work OP, definitely going to spend some more time looking through this.

Sorry, where exactly did you get that from (turned out to be a way too long post)?
The 2014 Spurs were actually the strongest non-MJ team on the list with a tBPM of 3.04. The Heat's sBPM was slightly negative in RS and PS, so if LeBron had actually covered hat 3.14+ BPM gap (4x higher than anything on the way to the finals) that would have been the biggest successful carrying job in all of the matchups I have analyzed for this (GOATlist guys since 1980) by a large margin. Where you should have seen 2014 rank very low (if I listed that somewhere) is in matchup difficulty for Tim Duncan (who had an extremely well-performing team with Kawhi better than him as well)

Ah I see, that makes more sense. I was looking at the "toughest finals matchup" and "toughest PS matchup instead of finals matchup' ranking where '14 Duncan was at the bottom of the ranking for both.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,792

Post#11 » by penbeast0 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:43 pm

Great Stuff
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by AdagioPace » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:38 pm

parapooper wrote:Yes, of course, on average LeBron's runs are much easier than his hardest matchups. But as I showed in various graphs, it is the toughest matchup that correlates so extremely well with results. I was initially considering just adding up the matchup difficulty for each round, but that is intuitively not correlating with how difficult it is to win:
Say you have four matchup of +1,+1,+1,+1 - that would add up to +4 overall and be an almost certain ring (at least for MJ/LBJ).
If you however have four matchups of 0,0,0,+4 that would also add up to +4 but would be basically impossible to win a ring.

I think one way to score entire playoffs might to to add the squares of each matchup - so 0 -> 0, 0.5 -> 0.25, 1 -> 1, 1.5 -> 2.25, 2 -> 4 ... that seems pretty reasonablish. But as I said, toughest matchup correlates so well with winning I did not bother doing all that, plus that would introduce a much large personal input from me, whereas the above is really just a comparison of minute-weighted averages of the probably most reasonable stat with no manipulative weighting by me (unless you count 50/50 RS/PS as that)

ah ok I understand what you want to say. You already found a way to quantify what I wanted to say,great! :D
I was just thinking that having easier rounds correlates with the OPPORTUNITY to play toughest matchups and thus even winning them. That's it. Its not even in contrast with your results.Just another thought...
you know,I was thinking it's unfair especially with people like Kobe and TD that they had to face the mighty Nets :D in the finals but had tough playoff rounds in the west .So we don't really know what they would have done if they faced toughest teams in the finals.
Also, having easier rounds have a lighter impact on your body, increasing your chances in the final round, but this fall outside of this study

can I ask you what are the conclusions you want to draw?
only descriptive? Because if one wants to infer "who's the best at winning" I think one should include somehow those last considerations or at least It's hard to conclude,from the opposite perspective, that kobe and TD were not good at winning toughest matchups,and this simply because the pattern of their playoffs was not helpful.
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,309

Post#13 » by Colbinii » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:14 pm

Great stuff, glad to see some of it go hand in hand with some theories I have had. Unfortunately, a lot of people will ignore data like this, but this is the type of stuff we need here. Well, thought out posts that come without bias and cover multiple era's.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
parapooper
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by parapooper » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:31 pm

AdagioPace wrote:
parapooper wrote:Yes, of course, on average LeBron's runs are much easier than his hardest matchups. But as I showed in various graphs, it is the toughest matchup that correlates so extremely well with results. I was initially considering just adding up the matchup difficulty for each round, but that is intuitively not correlating with how difficult it is to win:

ah ok I understand what you want to say. You already found a way to quantify what I wanted to say,great! :D
I was just thinking that having easier rounds correlates with the OPPORTUNITY to play toughest matchups and thus even winning them. That's it. Its not even in contrast with your results.Just another thought...
you know,I was thinking it's unfair especially with people like Kobe and TD that they had to face the mighty Nets :D in the finals but had tough playoff rounds in the west .So we don't really know what they would have done if they faced toughest teams in the finals.
Also, having easier rounds have a lighter impact on your body, increasing your chances in the final round, but this fall outside of this study

This is based on toughest PS matchups (except that list of finals matchups somewhere in there) so for some players in the West in the 2000s those were before the finals (and of course in the years they didn't reach the finals).
And yes, these are just overall stats of team-strength that season. I can't account for teams being tired (or injured) after tough early rounds this way. One might say tough, defense-oriented first rounds will drop the supporting cast BPM as well which leads to a higher matchup-toughness number in the finals, but that's obviously not a perfect compensation.
Another thing I can't account for are outlier performances of the supporting cast or opponent.
For instance LeBron's 2011 finals have a matchup difficulty around 1.6ish which is doable but very hard, which makes sense since the Mavs were better in RS and PS and the Heat supporting cast overall wasn't that great at all over the season. However, Wade had his best performance of the year in the finals and if we calculate the sBPM with a much higher pBPM from Wade then the matchup difficulty drops to about 1 or so (using a Wade BPM of 11 if I remember correctly) - so still harder than a lot of other GOAT-player titles were but definitely a must win for LeBron.

AdagioPace wrote:can I ask you what are the conclusions you want to draw?
only descriptive? Because if one wants to infer "who's the best at winning" I think one should include somehow those last considerations or at least It's hard to conclude,from the opposite perspective, that kobe and TD were not good at winning toughest matchups,and this simply because the pattern of their playoffs was not helpful.

The main conclusion here is really that one can't draw any conclusion from number of rings since they are very strongly correlated with the toughness of the hardest PS matchup (supporting cast strengt vs. strenght of strongest opponent) and hardly correlated at all with personal performance of the star.

Mostly all these GOAT guys did what could be expected of them - basically ranking them based on which matchups they were dealt by chance doesn't make much sense. I had a graph of winnable series somewhere (matchup difficulty below 1.8) that these guys lost and there weren't a lot. MJ and LBJ have 1 each (1995 and 2011) where they both were in unusual circumstances. A bunch of guys have 2. TD has the most but I also used a reaally long prime there for him so I wouldn't conclude anything from that. Obviously, a player would also have more winnable losses if he has more barely winnable matchups. MJ for instance had basically no chance in the 80s - to win or to lose a winnable series. His series against the Cavs were the greatest carrying jobs on my list and only won series with a difficulty above 2. I faintly remember looking at RS records which didn't explain why that should be the case, so I figure the Cavs must have played well in the PS and MJ's casts very badly plus noisy due to few playoff games weighted 50%. (Btw, my rationale for using 50/50 RS/PS no matter if the PS was 25 games or 3 games was that with fewer games a higher percentage of those games were games actually played between the opponents I'm looking at.)

I also checked the (low percentage) of series that this method "predicts" incorrectly but there are just too few to draw conclusions. I think all guys had mostly positive surprises. I remember Kobe was the only one whose teams never had a negative surprise. One may conclude that maybe Kobe is underestimated by BPM (or it could be sth else or just coincidence - it was 5 or 6 series). Kobe lost 3 winnable series (easier than 1.8) and the easiest one had a matchup difficulty around 1.3 (not sure which one) - that is pretty good even among these guys. Garnett had zero chance to make it out of the first before he did. 2010 was a must win but I think he wasn't healthy? Anyway I would not use these results to say anything negative about Kobe, TD or anyone really.

Eh, kind of got derailed:
The main message is really that using # of rings (even as #1 guy) to rank players just doesn't make sense.

PS: If I were to use anything here to rank players it would be the pBPM graphs I got as a side-result. They show a pretty clear separation between MJ, LBJ, KAJ and the rest, with MJ and LBJ hardly separable and a tad ahead of KAJ. The others are pretty much a wash according to that. Duncan is maybe a bit undervalued by this because of his low minutes.
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by AdagioPace » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:32 pm

parapooper wrote:...

So playoff performances are not often directly linked to championships, not definitive in assigning one place in the GOAT list.
I 'm sure also you recognize that without them there's no victory and almost any GOAT that has a ring,as the best player, has usually a great playoff performance x ring won

I would say
they are not sufficient but they are necessary so the greater the numbers of great PS performances the higher the chance for a ring. (few people don't abide by this logic: cp3)
they are somehow still "positively correlated" with a ring

infact when people talk about rings they're basically talking about,without being aware, how many,let's call them, rings shares :D a player has gained in all his life with great playoff performances.

anyway I don't think there are many people left that consider rings important in determining the goat placement anymore.
What matters are individual playoff performances, box score and advanced, regardless of the outcome.

I don't put Hakeem over GArnett because of one ring difference but because PS
I don't put TD over Malone because of the rings but because PS performances

I think what your study does best is separating Lebron from people with more rings like Kareem,TD,Kobe,Magic and maybe also Jordan! But as you showed Jordan has still a case regardless of the rings
parapooper
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by parapooper » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:54 am

AdagioPace wrote:
I think what your study does best is separating Lebron from people with more rings like Kareem,TD,Kobe,Magic and maybe also Jordan! But as you showed Jordan has still a case regardless of the rings

I wouldn't say it separates LeBron from Jordan, but it disproves some of the really stupid ring-based pro-MJ arguments, which seem to me a strange thing to use if the people using them really think MJ is by far the best. It's overall mostly helpful for LeBron mainly because he is the main target for the most nonsensical arguments I see around here and shows the most often used huge anti-Lebron argument (rings) is properly analyzed actually a slightly pro-LeBron argument.

The pBPM stuff separates him from others (not MJ and not really KAJ either) and is the sort of thing I personally would favor for ranking players but I got no problem with others using more eye-test, synergy and what not. The pBPM is also much more BPM-outlier affected than the matchup-analysis that averages BPMs over many players.

Mainly this post was really about what not to use for ranking players and "number of rings" seems about as useful as "number of pet hamsters"
Nbafanatic
Pro Prospect
And1: 214

Post#17 » by Nbafanatic » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:55 pm

Fantastic piece of work. Congrats!! As you said, there's still a great deal of variations that have no way to be counted, but a great baseline to start discussions, for sure. I wanna ask you something about Finals opponents strenght, though: Have you calculated BPM only for the playoff runs for those teams? And if it was like that, do we have to take into account the quality of the teams that those title runners-ups beat to get to the finals and adjust accordingly, right? For example, that was the list that I found the greater amount of outliers, outside of the best 5 or 6 teams:

LBJ 2012 1.735
LBJ 2016 1.715
LBJ 2013 1.605
Magic 1988 1.525
Hakeem 1994 1.265
Magic 1982 1.245
Bird 1984 1.195
TD 2003 0.945
Hakeem 1995 0.875
Kobe 2010 0.86
Shaq 2000 0.835
Magic 1980 0.77
MJ 1991 0.74
KG 2008 0.69
MJ 1997 0.59
MJ 1992 0.565
Kobe 2009 0.475
Magic 1985 0.24
Magic 1987 0.215
MJ 1993 0.21
TD 2005 0.21
MJ 1998 0.16
Bird 1986 0.075
TD 1999 -0.04
TD 2007 -0.305
Bird 1981 -0.38
Shaq 2002 -0.395
MJ 1996 -0.44
Shaq 2001 -0.745
TD 2014 -1.19

I mean, there's no way that the 2003 Nets was better than the 2008 Lakers, obviously they bennefited on playing an weaker conference. Same thing can be said about the 1991 Lakers for instance, as they had to go through maybe the best version of that Blazers team without HCA. Any Jordan's opponent in his 6 finals are certainly better than the 1994 Knicks, as well. And even the 2014 broken down version of the Heat is a better team than a bunch of others Finals teams. How can we reconcile with that?
parapooper
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by parapooper » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:31 am

Nbafanatic wrote:Fantastic piece of work. Congrats!! As you said, there's still a great deal of variations that have no way to be counted, but a great baseline to start discussions, for sure. I wanna ask you something about Finals opponents strenght, though: Have you calculated BPM only for the playoff runs for those teams? And if it was like that, do we have to take into account the quality of the teams that those title runners-ups beat to get to the finals and adjust accordingly, right?

I don't have runner-up strength listed by itself anywhere, just used it to calculate finals matchup difficulties. For that I just use sBPM of the star vs. tBPM of the opponent. If the opponent beat a team with higher tBPM on the way I don't take it into account. I was actually surprised how well the toughest matchups correlate with titles, so I did not see a reason to further complicate things

Nbafanatic wrote:For example, that was the list that I found the greater amount of outliers, outside of the best 5 or 6 teams:

LBJ 2012 1.735
LBJ 2016 1.715
LBJ 2013 1.605
Magic 1988 1.525
Hakeem 1994 1.265
Magic 1982 1.245
Bird 1984 1.195
TD 2003 0.945
Hakeem 1995 0.875
Kobe 2010 0.86
Shaq 2000 0.835
Magic 1980 0.77
MJ 1991 0.74
KG 2008 0.69
MJ 1997 0.59
MJ 1992 0.565
Kobe 2009 0.475
Magic 1985 0.24
Magic 1987 0.215
MJ 1993 0.21
TD 2005 0.21
MJ 1998 0.16
Bird 1986 0.075
TD 1999 -0.04
TD 2007 -0.305
Bird 1981 -0.38
Shaq 2002 -0.395
MJ 1996 -0.44
Shaq 2001 -0.745
TD 2014 -1.19

I mean, there's no way that the 2003 Nets was better than the 2008 Lakers, obviously they benefited on playing an weaker conference. Same thing can be said about the 1991 Lakers for instance, as they had to go through maybe the best version of that Blazers team without HCA. Any Jordan's opponent in his 6 finals are certainly better than the 1994 Knicks, as well. And even the 2014 broken down version of the Heat is a better team than a bunch of others Finals teams. How can we reconcile with that?

These are successful finals matchups (opponent tBPM - own sBPM) ordered by difficulty, not best teams.
For instance the 2003 Nets are indeed clearly worse than the 2008 Lakers. The list above says Duncans matchup 2003 was harder than Garnett's 2008 (in this case because Garnett had a much better supporting cast).
Duncan's other title-year supporting casts however were about as strong or stronger than his opponents, making those easy matchups for him. Btw that isn't really the same as saying they would have won those finals without Duncan since they were that strong in the context of that team that year which would have changed somewhat without Duncan.

Same with Jordan, his opponents were mostly better than the 1994 Knicks, but his supporting casts were much better than Hakeem's in 94, making all of MJ's finals matchups easier to win
Nbafanatic
Pro Prospect
And1: 214

Post#19 » by Nbafanatic » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:05 am

parapooper wrote:
Nbafanatic wrote:Fantastic piece of work. Congrats!! As you said, there's still a great deal of variations that have no way to be counted, but a great baseline to start discussions, for sure. I wanna ask you something about Finals opponents strenght, though: Have you calculated BPM only for the playoff runs for those teams? And if it was like that, do we have to take into account the quality of the teams that those title runners-ups beat to get to the finals and adjust accordingly, right?

I don't have runner-up strength listed by itself anywhere, just used it to calculate finals matchup difficulties. For that I just use sBPM of the star vs. tBPM of the opponent. If the opponent beat a team with higher tBPM on the way I don't take it into account. I was actually surprised how well the toughest matchups correlate with titles, so I did not see a reason to further complicate things

Nbafanatic wrote:For example, that was the list that I found the greater amount of outliers, outside of the best 5 or 6 teams:

LBJ 2012 1.735
LBJ 2016 1.715
LBJ 2013 1.605
Magic 1988 1.525
Hakeem 1994 1.265
Magic 1982 1.245
Bird 1984 1.195
TD 2003 0.945
Hakeem 1995 0.875
Kobe 2010 0.86
Shaq 2000 0.835
Magic 1980 0.77
MJ 1991 0.74
KG 2008 0.69
MJ 1997 0.59
MJ 1992 0.565
Kobe 2009 0.475
Magic 1985 0.24
Magic 1987 0.215
MJ 1993 0.21
TD 2005 0.21
MJ 1998 0.16
Bird 1986 0.075
TD 1999 -0.04
TD 2007 -0.305
Bird 1981 -0.38
Shaq 2002 -0.395
MJ 1996 -0.44
Shaq 2001 -0.745
TD 2014 -1.19

I mean, there's no way that the 2003 Nets was better than the 2008 Lakers, obviously they benefited on playing an weaker conference. Same thing can be said about the 1991 Lakers for instance, as they had to go through maybe the best version of that Blazers team without HCA. Any Jordan's opponent in his 6 finals are certainly better than the 1994 Knicks, as well. And even the 2014 broken down version of the Heat is a better team than a bunch of others Finals teams. How can we reconcile with that?

These are successful finals matchups (opponent tBPM - own sBPM) ordered by difficulty, not best teams.
For instance the 2003 Nets are indeed clearly worse than the 2008 Lakers. The list above says Duncans matchup 2003 was harder than Garnett's 2008 (in this case because Garnett had a much better supporting cast).
Duncan's other title-year supporting casts however were about as strong or stronger than his opponents, making those easy matchups for him. Btw that isn't really the same as saying they would have won those finals without Duncan since they were that strong in the context of that team that year which would have changed somewhat without Duncan.

Same with Jordan, his opponents were mostly better than the 1994 Knicks, but his supporting casts were much better than Hakeem's in 94, making all of MJ's finals matchups easier to win

Sure, you're right. I forgot about the own supporting cast strenght, no doubt. Thanks for the explanation!
mysticOscar
Starter
And1: 1,541

Post#20 » by mysticOscar » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:05 am

parapooper wrote:
Spoiler:
Ok, this turned out a tad longer than originally planned. There are graphs sprinkled in for anyone to check if they want to bother reading

A. Motivation for this post
Recently there has been an unusual amount of ring-based arguments posted around here in GOAT threads and elsewhere. Since it seems to be hard to grasp for many that using team accomplishments to rank players is nonsense I did some statistical analysis and illustrated it with colourful graphs to make that a bit more obvious than it already is.
It’s a purely statistical, very objective approach that uses common sense calculations and treats every player exactly the same.
It tries to determine how good a player was each season, how good his supporting cast was that year (and not just his 1-2 best teammates career reputation), how good his opposition was and how big the gap between his supporting cast and opposition was, which the player has to overcome to win.
Obviously it’s not perfect and does not account for series-to-series variations in supporting cast and individual play, but as shown below it works very well for determining the relative strengths of teams and supporting casts.
Since it’s a bit of work I only did it for top12ish players (minus Russel, Wilt and only partially for pre-74 KAJ due to lack of stats back then)

B. Methodology
Since we many of us use advanced stats to rank players the obvious choice seems to use the same stats to rank teams. For this one would just calculate the minute-weighted average stat of the team.

I had to decide which stat to use between a few widely available ones:
RAPM and similar - would be my favorite but only available back to 2000 --> have to use boxscore-derived stats instead
PER - has almost no correlation with defense, strongest usage dependence
So it was between WS/48 and BPM. WS/48 seems to be more influenced by teammate-quality – particularly defensively.
I also picked BPM because it’s independently verified by its much better correlation with RAPM, a completely orthogonal, non-boxscore stat:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/bpm.html:
RAPM correlation:
PER 0.388
Win Shares/48 0.525
Box Plus/Minus 0.661

I’m sure there are going to be the usual replies along the lines of “BPM is trash – player X had a BPM of y in 19xx”. Fair enough, but there are always outliers and for the main approach here I calculate the minute weighted average BPM of a team between 15ish players in the RS and in the PS, average that, then do the same for the opponent and calculate the difference. Then I average that over 10+ years of a player’s career for some of the results below. So there is a lot of averaging going on that should even out the outliers quite well.

For 10 GOAT-list players I calculated the following values for their own teams and their PS opponents separately and combined for the RS and PS of each of their prime seasons:
tBPM = team-BPM = minute-weighted average BPM of the whole team
sBPM = support-BPM = minute-weighted average BPM of the whole team, but with the GOAT-list player replaced by a 0 BPM player (a reasonable replacement level that’s also easy to use in Excel)
pBPM = personal-BPM = tBPM - sBPM (basically how much a player bumps up a team's BPM [BPM and fraction of team-minutes determine this])
matchup toughness = opponent tBPM - own sBPM – how much a player has to lift his team to make it as good as the opponent
RS and PS versions of all of these
50/50-weighted RS/PS averages of the above

I could not do this for Russell and Wilt (no BPM) and pre74 KAJ due technically to absence of BPM and ultimately of detailed stats in general back then since other stats are calculate differently pre74 as well.
(For KAJ I did approximate his pre-74 pBPMs by scaling his 1974 pBPM according the the PER and minutes played before 1974 vs. 1974 - obviously I couldn't do it for tBPM and sBPM due to work amount).
I only did the calculations back to 1980 anyway since anything before seems hard to compare anyway and doesn’t interest me personally.
Obviously, despite the averaging there is quite a bit of +/- left in these numbers – the reason I calculated them to 2 decimals is mainly to have less confusing overlaps in the graphs below.
Really the only judgement calls were using BPM (with WS the only real alternative, which agrees less well with the only available orthogonal statistical method), weighting RS and PS 50/50 and using a replacement level BPM of 0. Those are about as neutral as one could possibly be and don’t inherently favour any specific player.

C. Confirmation of the validity of the method:
C.1. tBPM in advancing PS rounds
To check if tBPM is a good rough measure of team strength here are the average tBPMs of the opponents of the last 37 champions (who as champions had on average high seeds):
1st round: -0.06 tBPM
2nd round: 1.01 tBPM
conf. final: 1.49 tBPM
NBA finals: 1.71 tBPM
champion: 2.36 tBPM
----> So that increasing tBPM each round is a good indication the method roughly makes sense.

C.2. best tBPM ranking
MJ 1996 3.88
MJ 1997 3.26
MJ 1991 3.245
Kawhi 2014 3.04
MJ 1992 2.95
LAL 2001 2.935
Bird 1986 2.88
MJ 1998 2.66
KG 2008 2.595
LBJ 2016 2.595
----> looks reasonable as well

C.3. tBPM matchup results
To check in more detail if the minute-weighted tBPM is actually a good measure of relative team strength I calculated the tBPM difference in all playoff matchups these players were involved in in their primes and checked if the win-loss result "predicted" by that matched the actual result of the playoff series.
For the 366 playoff series I checked (I counted series that 2 or more greats played in multiple times to save work):
320 (87.4%) were predicted correctly, while only 46 (12.6%) were predicted incorrectly with an average tBPM difference the wrong way of 0.38 tBPM and not a single series with a tBPM difference >1 tBPM predicted incorrectly.
----> this is an extremely solid result, considering that there are always surprises and evenly matched series. Even if you had a perfect way of measuring team strength (not saying this is) you would not expect a success rate >90%

C.4. PS toughest matchup vs. title chances

For further confirmation of the method here are the statistics on how often these players (in roughly their prime) won a championship when their toughest PS matchup (x=opp tBPM – sBPM) was:
(there is one example where x>1.8 was done (by a player not on this list): Wade 2006 [1.995]– but that was aided by some unusual refereeing)

D. Results:
1. Star performance vs rings
First a look at the pBPMs (50/50 averages of RS and PS values) of the star players chronologically:

And here ordered from best to worst:
RS pBPM:
Here we see MJ, LBJ and KAJ clearly separated from the other all-time greats

PS pBPM:
Here MJ and LBJ are also clearly ahead while KAJ is bridging the gap between those two and rest - having similar peak seasons but falling off more.

RS/PS 50/50 pBPM:
Again MJ, KAJ and LBJ are so clearly separate that their curves are not even touching the curves of the rest.
This of course correlates well with those 3 being the pretty clear top3 GOAT candidates (disregarding Russel and Wilt)

Now to check how this personal performance correlates with titles:
RS/PS 50/50 pBPM, rings marked
Hmm, this looks like basically no correlation.

How about personal performance in the playoffs though:
There is a slight correlation (Bird won in his 3 best PS for instance) but overall it's hardly worth mentioning.

--> So the correlation between rings and personal performance of superstars is very marginal.
This may shock some in the “count the rings” camp but should not be a surprise to anyone capable of logical thought

2. matchup difficulty vs. rings
So what is logically the factor most likely to correlate with winning a ring? In my opinion the difficulty of the hardest matchup encountered in the playoffs.
So here I calculated matchup difficulty by calculating the tBPM (using RS and PS 50/50) for each playoff opponent of the 10 GOATish players I looked at and substracted the sBPM of their supporting casts that year (also using RS and PS 50/50) from that value.
The resulting value is the amount the star would have to bump his team's tBPM above the same team with a 0 BPM replacement player to make his team better than that particular opponent.

I considered adding the matchup difficulties over a playoff run, but ultimately the factor determining winning a ring or losing seems to be the difficulty of the toughest matchup that is encountered during a PS:

As you can see winning rings correlates exceptionally well with the difficulty of the toughest PS matchup.
For every player their rings are concentrated to an extremely clear extent in season when they had their easiest PS matchups and none of them won in their hardest couple of postseasons.

And the same is true when looking across all players (from above): the statistics on how often these players (in roughly their prime) won a championship when their toughest PS matchup (x=opp tBPM – sBPM) was:

With that in mind, who among these stars actually had the hardest PS matchups:
This will certainly come as a surprise to some

How about winning vs. non-winning seasons:
So MJ actually had the toughest matchups in the seasons he didn't win.
For perspective, the only one among these players who won a matchup with a tBPM-sBPM >1.8 was MJ in the first rounds in 88 and 89 (2.19, 2.41). That was somewhat facilitated by shorter series though.
The toughest matchup that was one by one of these players in a 4-win series was 2000 Shaq vs. the Blazers at 1.79. Obviously this method cannot account for outlier performances in particular series – but as the correlation with rings shows it still works exceptionally well.

Here are the rings were won by these GOATlist players ranked by toughest finals matchup:
(unless something really unusual was going on my over-the-thumb estimate from calculating all these numbers is that they are probably +/- 0.3ish correct, so please don’t reply with “haha 2012 harder than 2016” when we are talking about a gap of 0.02)
LBJ 2012 1.735
LBJ 2016 1.715
LBJ 2013 1.605
Magic 1988 1.525
Hakeem 1994 1.265
Magic 1982 1.245
Bird 1984 1.195
TD 2003 0.945
Hakeem 1995 0.875
Kobe 2010 0.86
Shaq 2000 0.835
Magic 1980 0.77
MJ 1991 0.74
KG 2008 0.69
MJ 1997 0.59
MJ 1992 0.565
Kobe 2009 0.475
Magic 1985 0.24
Magic 1987 0.215
MJ 1993 0.21
TD 2005 0.21
MJ 1998 0.16
Bird 1986 0.075
TD 1999 -0.04
TD 2007 -0.305
Bird 1981 -0.38
Shaq 2002 -0.395
MJ 1996 -0.44
Shaq 2001 -0.745
TD 2014 -1.19

And here the same with toughest PS matchup instead of finals matchup:
Shaq 2000 1.795
LBJ 2012 1.735
LBJ 2016 1.715
LBJ 2013 1.605
Magic 1988 1.525
Hakeem 1994 1.265
Magic 1982 1.245
Bird 1984 1.195
Hakeem 1995 1.13
Kobe 2010 1.08
TD 2003 1.05
TD 2007 1.01
Shaq 2002 0.96
Bird 1981 0.91
Magic 1980 0.77
TD 2005 0.75
MJ 1991 0.74
KG 2008 0.69
Kobe 2009 0.595
MJ 1997 0.59
MJ 1992 0.565
MJ 1998 0.245
Magic 1985 0.24
Magic 1987 0.215
MJ 1993 0.21
TD 1999 0.195
Bird 1986 0.08
Shaq 2001 0.06
MJ 1996 -0.44
TD 2014 -0.87

And here is how much these players lifted their teams during their championship postseasons, chronologically:

Here we can again see that winning rings correlates extremely strongly with this “toughest PS matchup” criterium (obviously a strongly negative correlation)……
…….and basically does not correlate at all with personal performance:
(except for Bird who played a lot better than usual during his title postseasons)

Here you see who had the toughest PS matchups over their prime, on average:
in title seasons, on average:
and in non-title seasons, on average:

E. Some conclusions

Overall it’s pretty clear that despite all the nonsense about LeBron having it easy he seems to be the player with the hardest-won titles, followed by Hakeem, while KAJ’s, MJ’s and TD’s titles were relatively low-hanging fruit on average mostly due to their strong (and well-performing) supporting casts. So if you actually were to use rings and consider the achievement involved in getting them then rings would actually be a pro-LeBron argument, not a pro-MJ and certainly not a pro-KAJ one. Not that I would favour this argument - you can only beat who you meet in the playoffs and you can only beat who is actually beatable (with 1-3 exceptions in NBA history). So it would be just as stupid to punish MJ for having no barely beatable matchups during his final runs as it is to punish LeBron for having more unbeatable ones.
So this doesn’t say anything against MJ for instance – he never lost a winnable series (outside of 1995) and surely also would have won those rings with tougher matchups (up to a certain point obviously). But to use his 6 rings as a discussion-ending argument over LBJ just doesn’t make sense. The variation in play between MJ, LBJ, KAJ's individual seasons is minuscule compared to the variation in play of their supporting casts.
All this should be obvious anyway, but hopefully the stats and graphs might bring it home for some who were not able (or willing) to grasp that.

I commend you for doing all this work, I can imagine the time you must have spent on putting this together. However I really don't agree with your conclusion here.

You are literally down playing players that can integrate there game well and raise the impact of players around them.

parapooper wrote: C.2. best tBPM ranking
MJ 1996 3.88
MJ 1997 3.26
MJ 1991 3.245
Kawhi 2014 3.04
MJ 1992 2.95
LAL 2001 2.935
Bird 1986 2.88
MJ 1998 2.66
KG 2008 2.595
LBJ 2016 2.595

Looking at this list, your intention of downplaying MJ and his championship runs is really off mark. The way I look at that is how portable MJ's style and how his game really integrates into winning championships. I mean, 91, 92 all the way to 96, 97, 98 championships having the strongest tBPM. I mean, how different are the make up of the 91/92 team to the 96/97/98??

Looking at the BPM of the 2nd and 3rd options for MJ for those teams....they either are not effected negatively with MJ, in some cases they have there highest BPM in there careers when they are playing with MJ

How about Lebron? Dwyane Wade, Bosh, Kyrie, Love have there lowest BPM in there prime playing along with Lebron showing a drastic decline from the year prior without him vs the year they play with him.

Then to create pretty graphs to show how much the sum of the impact his support (that decline due to integrating there game to LEbrons) and then compare it to there opponent is really lacking proper context.

Do you see why i think your conclusion is wrong here?

Return to Player Comparisons