Who was the best player in 2007?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Who was the best player in the league in 2006-07 season?

Kobe Bryant
23%
Tim Duncan
30%
Kevin Garnett
4%
LeBron James
21%
Steve Nash
6%
Dirk Nowitzki
14%
other
2%

Total votes: 103

andrewww
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Re: Who was the best player in 2007? 

Post#61 » by andrewww » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:22 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
andrewww wrote:Even a lot of the mods are not immune to this disease. If I go on rambling out a list of names and the substance of their posts (its fine to have a preference but at least present objective facts rather than myths that fit their POV) I'll probably get banned lol.

I always wonder why when Mods are not acting in Mod capacity, why certain users want to single them out. Or why you think the PC board Mods are in the habit of banning posters who disagree with them. You should really familiarize yourself with the Mods of this forum who allow all kinds of open discussion and disagreements from countless posters who disagree with their particular opinion.

No if you were going to get banned, it would be for a post calling out other regular posters and accusing them of bias or anti-Kobe agenda. But I imagine they will even let that go, because they are familiar with your Kobe-centric approach. And they respect your right to take it. I'd say you owe them an apology for slandering them without cause or at least clarify which Mods you were speaking of.

Now I don't know that you were speaking of the Mods of this board, or just Mods in general. I know I have taken a different position than you in this thread and even directly responded to at least one of your posts. I don't have the authority to take Mod action against you, nor do I abuse my Mod powers against posters I disagree with. So feel free to address me by name. Feel free to disagree with the substance of my posts--I mean that's the purpose of the forum. I'm even willing to acknowledge that I do have some biases. I pride myself on making every effort to not allow that to impact my analysis, but I'm not naive enough to think I can honestly filter it all out.

I just don't know that it supports your case to attack other users, rather than making strong arguments for your case. Especially in regards to Kobe who is an all-time great player. Can't be more than 12-15 guys who I'd rate above Kobe for his career. He doesn't need to be blindly defended. His resume is excellent and speaks for himself.

Let me start by saying, its the moving goal posts and condescending posts/backhanded compliments/revisionist theories that annoy the heck out of me. More than any other player, you and I both know he (Kobe) is the most polarizing player on this forum bar none with minimal support. While I am a straight shooter and can be overly blunt sometimes (I'm a Virgo after all), I can spot what I feel are unreasonable biases a mile away. Dirk/Nash had better team situations in 2007, yet because they're on better teams it is often argued against Kobe's case of the best player because he was on a team that won in the high 40s (number of games). Duncan is argued against Kobe despite his minutes decrease and this was the year Duncan started his very slow decline.

However, the script is reversed in 2009/2010 when Kobe is on the championship team but then I hear arguments that Lebron has already surpassed him because of his monsters stats (but still cant hit a jumper or play in the post to save his life). So you're telling me its about individual play now, but in 2007 those other players get the benefit of the doubt because they're on winning teams? You see the double standard here?

Guys like Oscar/KG were great, but when you look at overall body of work its hard to rank these guys over Kobe. Did they have the greater peak? I think no but at worse its debatable. Were either of these guys perennial winners? Again no. Now I understand teams and different situations are often out of a player's control, but you can't punish someone for being in a better situation and actually taking advantage of it! Its like those saying Brady isnt the GOAT because he has the fortune of playing with Belichick. Or those who think Lemieux is the GOAT and not Gretzky because Lemieux is more talented. Results matter. I cant think of any consistent criteria that has Kobe ranked below 11 when you account for peak play and overall body of work.

For example, it is widely accepted that Kobe was the best player in the world from 2006-2008. You disagree? Thats cool. When someone has an offensive arsenal coupled with prime athleticism that he had these years, he was dropping 50 points at will in wins with Kwame Brown/Chris Mihm/Smush Parker as his core rotation players. Lamar Odom was the next best player! Anyone who watched Kobe play should have been able to see that 2006-2007 in particular was his peak but the supporting cast wasn't there, meaning Phil made it a point that he wanted Kobe to come out gunning in the RS these two years, then tone it back down against Phx in the first round (which worked almost perfectly until Tim Thomas hit that shot in game 6). The reasoning I hear often are things like "well Duncan won a ring in 2007", or that "Lebron made the Finals", or that "Nash made his guys better and not Kobe'. When Kobe wins a ring in 2009/2010, I hear arguments that Lebron's great series against Detroit was legendary and that he was already the best player in the world even though he didn't ring that year. In the 2010 Finals, there was legitimate discussion that had the Lakers lost, that Kobe would still have been given FMVP. Reading realgm, you hear more discussion that Pau Gasol should've won FMVP! The same Pau that disappeared on the road in games 4 and 5. Its the constant changing of narratives that irks me and I can tell that these posters are looking for excuses or any reason to put Kobe down.

FYI I define peak as the best version of said player if you were to plug them into the best possible team they had throughout their career, assuming all circumstances were equal.

When you have a forum that has him 23rd in peak play (the same guy that dropped 81 in a game and had numerous scoring outbursts at above average efficiency contrary to the popular and unfounded narrative that he was an AI level gunner) with 5 rings in which he was option 1 or 1a in 4/5 titles, and a number 2 in 1 on them...thats a joke. The reason why is partially because this forum thinks 2008 was his peak which it wasnt.

Then you have posters constantly creating losing polls where they know Kobe is going to lose the popular vote in a landslide. Whats the point of creating these threads when they ask for others opinion, then quickly jump in to say "no Kobe was inferior because of ____ reason". We get it you dont like the guy and will jump at every chance to talk down about his legacy.

Lebron had sub 40% FG shooting in the 2015 Finals yet is praised! Put Kobe in those shoes and regardless of what actually transpired, he would've gotten ripped for being selfish!

I'm not one of those fans who think the old school way where "Lebron cant form a superteam its not fair", or that "you have to take the final shot to be the man". Thats an old school way of thinking. Its about making the right basketball play, whether that be to pass or shoot. I have never hated on Lebron for these reasons, but for basketball reasons that I back up with facts.

I've said it before, the poster "senior" I can tell right away regardless of their position on Kobe I respect their opinion because it is objective, makes sense, and presented in a manner where I dont feel theyre moving goal posts. I'm actually learning stuff when I read their posts which are rich with substance.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,747

Post#62 » by eminence » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:17 pm

andrewww wrote:Dirk/Nash had better team situations in 2007, yet because they're on better teams it is often argued against Kobe's case of the best player because he was on a team that won in the high 40s (number of games). Duncan is argued against Kobe despite his minutes decrease and this was the year Duncan started his very slow decline.

However, the script is reversed in 2009/2010 when Kobe is on the championship team but then I hear arguments that Lebron has already surpassed him because of his monsters stats (but still cant hit a jumper or play in the post to save his life). So you're telling me its about individual play now, but in 2007 those other players get the benefit of the doubt because they're on winning teams? You see the double standard here?

A) Kobe doesn't come out in front of guys like Duncan/Nash/Dirk in terms of individual statistics. It's pretty even all around. So using success to separate players with similar statistics seems pretty reasonable.

B) The individual statistical dominance is a titanic gap in Lebron's favor between '09/'10 'Bron and '06/'07 Kobe.

C) Lebron was also having significantly more team success in '09/'10 than Kobe was having in '06/'07.

Short version...your 'double standard' is crap.
I bought a boat.
Pg81
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,661

Post#63 » by Pg81 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:00 pm

The MvP.
If you're asking me who the Mavs best player is, I'd say Luka. A guy like Delon Wright probably rivals his impact though at this stage in his career. KP may as well if he gets his **** together.
GeorgeMarcus, 17/11/2019
andrewww
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#64 » by andrewww » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:19 pm

eminence wrote:
andrewww wrote:Dirk/Nash had better team situations in 2007, yet because they're on better teams it is often argued against Kobe's case of the best player because he was on a team that won in the high 40s (number of games). Duncan is argued against Kobe despite his minutes decrease and this was the year Duncan started his very slow decline.

A) Kobe doesn't come out in front of guys like Duncan/Nash/Dirk in terms of individual statistics. It's pretty even all around. So using success to separate players with similar statistics seems pretty reasonable.

B) The individual statistical dominance is a titanic gap in Lebron's favor between '09/'10 'Bron and '06/'07 Kobe.

C) Lebron was also having significantly more team success in '09/'10 than Kobe was having in '06/'07.

The statistical dominance is actually more prominent in 06/07 compared to 09/10. But debatable unless youre wearing homer glasses.

Significantly more team success making the eastern conference semi finals vs a first round exit to a team of Phoenix's caliber?

Your post epitomizes what Ive been saying all along.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,273

Post#65 » by mademan » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:14 pm

andrewww wrote:
eminence wrote:

The statistical dominance is actually more prominent in 06/07 compared to 09/10. But debatable unless youre wearing homer glasses.

Significantly more team success making the eastern conference semi finals vs a first round exit to a team of Phoenix's caliber?

Your post epitomizes what Ive been saying all along.

You could very easily argue that 06 or 07 Kobe wasnt even the most statistically dominant. Wasnt leading in any advanced stat and wasnt even any good defensively. To me, Duncan has a stronger case in 07 than Kobe does, though I do think it's arguable that Kobe was the best player.

Contrast that to 09, and even though it was a much stronger year at the top, with Wade/CP3 having career years, Lebron still lead in all major categories (BPM, VORP, PER, WS, WS/48) and he won 66 games with a mediocre cast. There is literally no way you can look at both seasons and think that the gap between Kobe--other top players was the same or greater than the gap between Lebron---other top players
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,747

Post#66 » by eminence » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:35 pm

Mademan already made the point here, but to support it:

Kobe '06:
28.0 PER, 3rd
15.3 WS, 4th
5.8 BPM, 8th
6.5 VORP, 5th
45 win, 2.53 SRS, lost in the 1st round to a 54 win 5.48 SRS team

Kobe '07:
26.1 PER, 5th
13.0 WS, 4th
4.7 BPM, 14th
5.3 VORP, 6th
42 win, 0.24 SRS, lost in the 1st round to a 61 win 7.28 SRS team

Lebron '09:
31.7 PER, 1st
20.3 WS, 1st
13.0 BPM, 1st
11.6 VORP, 1st
66 win, 8.68 SRS, lost in ECF to a 59 win 6.48 SRS team

Lebron '10:
31.1 PER, 1st
18.5 WS, 1st
12.5 BPM, 1st
10.9 VORP, 1st
61 win, 6.17 SRS, lost in 2nd round to 50 win 3.37 SRS team

Don't have the RAPM numbers on hand, but they tell the same story, will add this evening.

Yes, Lebron was significantly more successful and dominated significantly more statistically.
I bought a boat.
tone wone
Pro Prospect
And1: 579

Post#67 » by tone wone » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:58 pm

mademan wrote:I'll get into this argument later, but put the 13 Heat in 07, same team success and Lebron with the same play, and he runs away with best player in the league, and it's not even a competition imo. Same thing with 00 Shaq, and the only reason people would even think about questioning it is the halo effect that winning a championship has (if we assume Duncan still wins the title)

Absolutely.
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:I don’t think LeBron was as good a point guard as Mo Williams for the point guard play not counting the scoring threat. In other words in a non shooting Rondo like role Mo Williams would be better than LeBron.
Senior
Sixth Man
And1: 3,668

Post#68 » by Senior » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:07 pm

kayess wrote:
Yes, I do mean another all-time "holy ****" season.

I think the bolded is where we differ then:
a) I think those guys were close - but 09 LeBron is still definitively better. Like, "ATG impact/carry job by some distance" better.
b) I absolutely would consider the 07 guys in a different stratosphere. You put any of the top 5 in 07 and they crush the competition.
c) 01 Shaq in the regular season IIRC wasn't as good, but he was a monster in the playoffs, so the MVP going to someone else is somewhat understandable

Main difference being I don't care what the narrative was at the time - especially if it's not the truth. In retrospect, it was clear Iverson was only a narrative vote, but that didn't affect who was actually the best player at the time. Someone voted for Carmelo Anthony in 2013, which tells you all you need to know about the care that needs to be exercised when using MVP votes.

'13 LeBron had '13 Durant btw - not a down year by any means. And I disagree about putting the 00 Lakers/13 Heat in '07. If you are simply saying that "07 Kobe/Duncan/Dirk/Nash are better than 00 KG/TD/Mourning and 13 Durant", then no arguments there, I agree.

But well-informed people wouldn't be thinking or arguing about who the best would be. Shaq would still be definitively at the top.

Overll, I'd agree with you if the element of perception by the fans was included, but if we're strictly speaking objective assessments, then I'd have to disagree.

OK. Seems like our only major disagreements are on how people would perceive the situation. 00 Shaq/13 Lebron are easily the best but I still think you'd have a few people even on this board making cases for Duncan/Nash/Dirk (since the Spurs/Mavs/Suns all proved to be title contenders). KG would probably sneak in there on RAPM or something too. That said we have no idea how it would play out and there's no real way to say one way or another regardless.
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

Post#69 » by freethedevil » Wed Aug 5, 2020 3:42 am

nash or duncan.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,426

Post#70 » by TheGOATRises007 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 4:24 am

Duncan for me. Has the least amount of negatives against him.

Lebron's horrific finals rules him out. I think he was arguably better the prior season.

Nash had a fine season, but Duncan's 2-way impact is hard to ignore and I think Nash could have played better vs the Spurs(I may be wrong though - just going off memory).

I think Kobe's defense hurts him. His DBPM during the RS was negative and barely above neutral in the playoffs.
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,757

Post#71 » by LukaTheGOAT » Wed Aug 5, 2020 5:39 am

Feel like I am joining this thread pretty dang late, but nonetheless this is a good discussion.

I'll go Duncan, though I think Dirk has a case as well.

WARNING: Incoming stats drop to prove my point, sorry for all who I may annoy.

Duncan was #1 in PIPM at 6.98, with the next closest person being Lebron at 5.39.

Duncan was #1 in Google sites RAPM at 8.8, with the next highest guy being Lebron at 7.3 https://sites.google.com/site/rapmstats/2007-rapm

Single year NPI RAPM has Duncan #1 overall. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/11181n4avq5wefk/AAAZ4muMkVh3aNDYIzq_NNHEa?dl=0&preview=2007.txt

Next RPM estimates (using the old formula) that try to predict a player's RPM, has Duncan #1 as well by some distance. http://web.archive.org/web/20140625110347/http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/ratings/2007.html

Next, Duncan had the highest scaled APM of his career and one of the highest on record in 07 (#1 for that year). https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h20JYcZJu2tGNIyOwVbNfez0-zXXy5ItLyXC4qTE5D8/edit#gid=3

He was #1 in AuPM 2.0 in 07 as well. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A-vid8kuilwdyjKNLDKu6Qvc-6pARwQGjAXMf-2ku4k/edit#gid=0

And while winning bias is a terrible thing...I mean the Spurs did win it all.

It's possible it was just a perfect storm of the right group of guys to make Duncan look good, and therefore his situational value wouldn't be as high in other setups. But as people have mentioned, the Duncan's two-way play will always give him a special intrigue over many of the other options like Dirk, Kobe, Lebron (at this point), because should offense be hard to come by for him, you know Duncan is bringing star level impact on one end regardless of team he is facing. And KG wasn't in the playoffs so that automatically makes him a tricky evaluation.

07 rates as a possible top 3-5 season of his career. The only thing I could see that might be used against Duncan is that he isn't quite the scorer that some of the other guys in contention with him are. But based off how Dirk, Kobe, and Lebron played, they certainly were far from unstoppable based off some of their performances. And Duncan did a darn good job of carrying the scoring load throughout the playoffs despite not having great offensive talent (though shoutout to Manu). I love Nash but, I always considered him a certain negative on D and feel like that is enough to put him below Duncan.

So the fact that the numbers say Duncan was not only the most impactful player in the league, but he did it on a team that won the championship, gives me more confidence than anyone else here.
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Post#72 » by No-more-rings » Wed Aug 5, 2020 1:24 pm

I've usually thought it was Kobe, but I'm not sure that answer makes sense anymore. Most evidence leans towards Duncan, he had supreme impact metrics and had the best playoff performance. Dirk had the best regular season, Nash was really great too. I'm not sure Kobe is even top 3 that year, but he's easily top 5.
slimreaper2021
Sophomore
And1: 7

Post#73 » by slimreaper2021 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:43 am

Probably Duncan.
Pharmacist
Sophomore
And1: 13

Post#74 » by Pharmacist » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:00 pm

2007 was Duncan's year.