Is Lebron James most hyped teenage player of All Time?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

ProfessorJM
Starter
And1: 1,176

Re: Is Lebron James most hyped teenage player of All Time? 

Post#41 » by ProfessorJM » Tue Apr 4, 2017 5:35 am

For sports recently, its only LeBron and Tiger to me. Incredibly hyped before they played a single pro game/match, and they actually managed to deliver on that hype. Tiger is basically at worst the # 2 player in golf history, and LeBron is probably right now Top 5 for sure, and you can definitely argue above that as well and he will be the best player of his generation. (He's in the Top 3 for me personally but he could go higher)
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,566

Post#42 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Apr 4, 2017 7:26 pm

I'm assuming you mean "hyped", so yes, I can't remember any prep athlete that was coronated (pun intended) so early before his pro career even started. It was a foregone conclusion that he'd go #1 in 2003 when he was basically 15-16 years old. The $90 million shoe deal he signed with Nike was unheard of for a player who wasn't even drafted yet.

Anyone who knew anything about basketball was drooling over getting the #1 pick in the 2002-03 season, so much so that it resulted in probably the most shameful and blatant instance of tanking between Denver and Cleveland, who both finished with just 17 wins that year.
Oscar9992
Analyst
And1: 2,927

Post#43 » by Oscar9992 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:52 am

Bump!!!
KobesScarf
Veteran
And1: 602

Post#44 » by KobesScarf » Tue Aug 1, 2017 3:30 am

ItsThatEasy wrote:Assuming OP didn't mean overhyped in a disrespectful sense.

LeBron James is the most successful teenage prodigy of all time across all sports with only Tiger Woods and Serena Williams coming close.

We're prisoners of the moment right now because he's crying in the media every night but one day soon people are going to realize how monumental LeBron James was to sports.

His hype level was beyond belief and to stay out of trouble and maintain focus and work as hard as he did with even more success off the court coming in the future from business moves, it's not far fetched to say LeBron will be the most memorable athlete of all time by the end of his lifetime (only way I could think to phrase this).

Ali is still #1 but LeBron has a shot.

Wayne Gretzky
Dr Huge Pecs
Senior
And1: 79

Post#45 » by Dr Huge Pecs » Tue Aug 1, 2017 3:34 am

he was monumental to sports marketing... but not sports. not even top 5 all time.
CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,167

Post#46 » by CodeBreaker » Tue Aug 1, 2017 3:41 am

He is not the most overhyped because he somewhat met the expectations. He's undoubtedly the most hyped.

Return to Player Comparisons