Giannis, not close
54%

Total votes: 100

Jim Naismith
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,973

Draymond vs. Giannis 

Post#1 » by Jim Naismith » Thu May 25, 2017 1:38 am

Draymond Green vs. Giannis Antetokounmpo: Who is better?

Vote above.

trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,239

Re: Draymond vs. Giannis 

Post#2 » by trex_8063 » Thu May 25, 2017 2:14 am

tbh, my initial reaction was to be suspicious this was another Draymond-involved troll thread (but probably only because we've had way too much of that recently). I personally think it's Giannis, and not overly close (perhaps not a big gap, but not small one either, imo). But there are enough posters (including several I consider well-respected) who are quite high on what Dray brings to the table, so I'll hope this thread produces some reasonable content.

I know this will be a polarized topic, but be warned: rude replies or shenanigans will earn immediate suspensions; I'm in no mood.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,883
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#3 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu May 25, 2017 2:30 am

I don't think either could lead a title team right now, and Draymond is a better fit next to most star teams with multiple ball handlers/scorers.

I'd build around Giannis all day now and in the future though.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,617

Post#4 » by eminence » Thu May 25, 2017 2:38 am

Give me Draymond pretty easily. Offensively it's close, who I'd choose would depend strongly on the situation - Giannis the better scorer, and a bit better ball handler, Dray's got the edge in passing (both willingness and actual vision) along with bringing more of the little things (screening, off-ball movement). Defensively the gap is quite large between the two. Giannis is good, Draymond is great.
I bought a boat.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,126

Post#5 » by clyde21 » Thu May 25, 2017 2:42 am

Draymond it the better player right now but I suspect that changing within the next couple of years.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#6 » by HeartBreakKid » Thu May 25, 2017 3:06 am

eminence wrote:Give me Draymond pretty easily. Offensively it's close, who I'd choose would depend strongly on the situation - Giannis the better scorer, and a bit better ball handler, Dray's got the edge in passing (both willingness and actual vision) along with bringing more of the little things (screening, off-ball movement). Defensively the gap is quite large between the two. Giannis is good, Draymond is great.

I'm not sure about that one, for what Green does is relatively unimpressive for a point forward. I think pretty much any point forward can make basic kick and drives to open 3 point shooteres, especially if they are loosely guarded by a big on the perimeter.

I would hope Green is more willing to pass than Giannis, Green is not even half the scorer Giannis is and he has the greatest scorers of the modern era to pass too while Giannis has a couple of 3&D guys.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 25,836

Post#7 » by azcatz11 » Thu May 25, 2017 3:29 am

eminence wrote:Give me Draymond pretty easily. Offensively it's close, who I'd choose would depend strongly on the situation - Giannis the better scorer, and a bit better ball handler, Dray's got the edge in passing (both willingness and actual vision) along with bringing more of the little things (screening, off-ball movement). Defensively the gap is quite large between the two. Giannis is good, Draymond is great.

The gap is not close offensively. You look very foolish saying that. I"m not even including context in saying my preface.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#8 » by Winsome Gerbil » Thu May 25, 2017 4:21 am

People should not think this is close. They will, of course, but they shouldn't.

Draymond Green plays an elite role buried deep beneath a wild stack of talent in Golden State. Giannis IS the wild stack of talent.

The Draymond myth is just...SMH. If this was titled Draymond vs. Durant would people be going, ooh yeah, that's a tight one? Why not just go all in and call it a tossup with LeBron while we're at it.
Xherdan 23
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,537

Post#9 » by Xherdan 23 » Thu May 25, 2017 4:39 am

Right now Draymond is the more effective player but I'm pretty sure next season this won't be the case.

Giannis improves at a rate never seen before and I expect him to surpass Green very quickly.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,243

Post#10 » by Clyde Frazier » Thu May 25, 2017 4:59 am

As a former draymond fan, I know this isn't answering the question, but I'd much rather have giannis on my team. He'd be a lot more fun to root for :-?

[As for the actual poll, I voted giannis, but it's close]
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,126

Post#11 » by clyde21 » Thu May 25, 2017 5:27 am

Winsome Gerbil wrote:People should not think this is close. They will, of course, but they shouldn't.

Draymond Green plays an elite role buried deep beneath a wild stack of talent in Golden State. Giannis IS the wild stack of talent.

The Draymond myth is just...SMH. If this was titled Draymond vs. Durant would people be going, ooh yeah, that's a tight one? Why not just go all in and call it a tossup with LeBron while we're at it.

"Elite role".

Draymond is one of the best defensive players of this generation and one of the best point-forwards in the entire NBA to boot. I agree with you that he's getting to be a bit overrated, but you're going overboard.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,221

Re: RE: Re: Draymond vs. Giannis 

Post#12 » by ardee » Thu May 25, 2017 6:08 am

Winsome Gerbil wrote:People should not think this is close. They will, of course, but they shouldn't.

One of the people who have posted in this thread actually DOES think he's comparable to LeBron

Sent from my SM-J700F using RealGM mobile app
Jiminy Glick
Assistant Coach
And1: 726

Post#13 » by Jiminy Glick » Thu May 25, 2017 6:27 am

Giannis in terms of being more of a talented player in terms of physical attributes and as well as how well he plays the game. In terms of who do you take on your team, do the Warriors get better with Giannis instead of Green. I don't know, so in that respect it depends on what your team needs. If your building a team though you take Giannis and I don't think it is close.
Xherdan 23
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,537

Post#14 » by Xherdan 23 » Thu May 25, 2017 6:57 am

Jiminy Glick wrote:Giannis in terms of being more of a talented player in terms of physical attributes and as well as how well he plays the game. In terms of who do you take on your team, do the Warriors get better with Giannis instead of Green. I don't know, so in that respect it depends on what your team needs. If your building a team though you take Giannis and I don't think it is close.

I'm not sure the warriors get worse with Giannis instead of Green, especially if freak will have a similar defensive improvement to KD this year.
They definitely aren't losing the playmaking as I think Giannis has the edge here and I would assume he can get to 30% from 3pt around Steph, Klay and KD.

The Bucks however aren't making the playoffs with Draymond instead of Giannis due to lack of scoring and IMO worse playmaking.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut
Jiminy Glick
Assistant Coach
And1: 726

Post#15 » by Jiminy Glick » Thu May 25, 2017 7:20 am

Xherdan 23 wrote:
Jiminy Glick wrote:Giannis in terms of being more of a talented player in terms of physical attributes and as well as how well he plays the game. In terms of who do you take on your team, do the Warriors get better with Giannis instead of Green. I don't know, so in that respect it depends on what your team needs. If your building a team though you take Giannis and I don't think it is close.

I'm not sure the warriors get worse with Giannis instead of Green, especially if freak will have a similar defensive improvement to KD this year.
They definitely aren't losing the playmaking as I think Giannis has the edge here and I would assume he can get to 30% from 3pt around Steph, Klay and KD.

The Bucks however aren't making the playoffs with Draymond instead of Giannis due to lack of scoring and IMO worse playmaking.

True, and they would be very exciting to watch.
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,868

Post#16 » by LakersLegacy » Thu May 25, 2017 7:36 am

Draymond better on D, Giannis miles better on O
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Re: RE: Re: Draymond vs. Giannis 

Post#17 » by Winsome Gerbil » Thu May 25, 2017 8:07 am

ardee wrote:

One of the people who have posted in this thread actually DOES think he's comparable to LeBron

ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,221

Post#18 » by ardee » Thu May 25, 2017 8:43 am

Yeah, no, this is Giannis and it ain't close. You replace Giannis with Draymond and the Bucks win maybe 25 games. The Warriors after an adjustment period would be just as good if you switched them.

H2tObes
RealGM
And1: 10,022

Post#19 » by H2tObes » Thu May 25, 2017 10:33 am

You're starting a team from scratch, who in their right mind picks Draymond over Giannis? This isn't even factoring in age. The answer is Giannis and it's not that close. Giannis is the type of player who can carry a team by himself
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,123

Post#20 » by AdagioPace » Thu May 25, 2017 11:09 am

If Draymond was a better scorer and attention-demanding player he could easily fit in the tradition of those impactful big men like Robinson,Duncan,Garnett (maybe for some users he already does :D based on the holy verb of +/- and related )

It will be interesting to see how Draymond will be seen by future generations and how he stack up among the all time best players
For me Draymond is a more comprehensive, modern version of Pippen

I pick Giannis, He's already playing at an MVP level
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes

Return to Player Comparisons