RealGM Top 100 All-Time (2017)

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,975

Re: RealGM Top 100 All-Time (2017)---List, voter panel, meta-thinking thre 

Post#161 » by RCM88x » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:59 pm

I don't​ really have any objections to the system itself. But I think it might add a lot of extra work and hurt participation later in the voting. Might be an interesting experiment just to see how it changes from years past, so I think if everyone is on board then we should go for it.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,748

Post#162 » by eminence » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:03 pm

I'm still against anything other than single vote due to increased voter burden lowering turnout and also likely spreading out the discussion more in any one thread (mostly the first reason).
I bought a boat.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,484

Post#163 » by Jaivl » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:18 pm

I like RCV.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,265

Post#164 » by trex_8063 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:18 pm

RCM88x wrote:I don't​ really have any objections to the system itself. But I think it might add a lot of extra work and hurt participation later in the voting. Might be an interesting experiment just to see how it changes from years past, so I think if everyone is on board then we should go for it.

eminence wrote:I'm still against anything other than single vote due to increased voter burden lowering turnout and also likely spreading out the discussion more in any one thread (mostly the first reason).

Valid concerns. What if very minimal (even one or two lines) argumentation were all that was required for your secondary candidate (I have edited my last post to reflect this)? One or two lines doesn't really add relevant work.
And again, let's not forget how much time this will shave off the whole project. A lot of people drift away from it just because of the exhaustive amount of time it takes to finish. And this could potentially shave literally two months off the project time.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#165 » by penbeast0 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:22 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:I'd like to participate. The voting panel looks great and I think the guidelines trex noted are terrific. (btw...one vote works better; otherwise you'll be sidetracked by secondary arguments.)

I’ve got the same problem/time issues some others have noted—I’ll be busy at times this summer (like … getting married), which may mean my input will slow down or be absent for a vote or two. But I’ll try my best to be consistent and stick to the end--I've done it before. I’ll understand if, because I haven’t been around, other voter/mods think it would be better to keep me in the “just discussion” group or out of this altogether.

I would love to have you back, missed you! :rockon:
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#166 » by JordansBulls » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:30 pm

RCM88x wrote:I don't​ really have any objections to the system itself. But I think it might add a lot of extra work and hurt participation later in the voting. Might be an interesting experiment just to see how it changes from years past, so I think if everyone is on board then we should go for it.

This to me would be the concern as well. I think maybe for the top 10-15 all time it wouldn't matter, you will have participation all the time, but say once you get to like 35-40 and further the participation will easily dwindle. It has even happened with just voting for 1 player in the past so imagine 3 guys.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#167 » by trex_8063 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:42 pm

JordansBulls wrote:

This to me would be the concern as well. I think maybe for the top 10-15 all time it wouldn't matter, you will have participation all the time, but say once you get to like 35-40 and further the participation will easily dwindle. It has even happened with just voting for 1 player in the past so imagine 3 guys.

See above post #164 (minimal supportive arguments required for secondary pick). Also, read more closely the protocol for RCV: it's 2 guys, not 3.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#168 » by Winsome Gerbil » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:17 pm

that'll work
BasketballFan7
Analyst
And1: 2,344

Post#169 » by BasketballFan7 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:21 pm

RCV is fine.
FGA Restricted All-Time Draft

In My Hood, The Bullies Get Bullied
PG: 2013 Mike Conley, 1998 Greg Anthony
SG: 2005 Manu Ginobili, 2015 Khris Middleton
SF: 1991 Scottie Pippen
PF: 1986 Larry Bird, 1996 Dennis Rodman
C: 1999 Alonzo Mourning
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,536

Post#170 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:41 pm

I don't love the 2nd and 3rd place vote ideas because it condenses everyone's arguments into the first time they bring up the player, and then they're not as interested to revisit those arguments by the time they actually get in. I would vote against the above 2nd place vote system as well since I think people will feel obligated to explain their votes, I prefer the run-off in the event of a tie

ardee wrote:IMO the nomination system is the messiest option. You're having two full-on simultaneous debates in the same thread, one of which will be rehashed ten threads later. It's going to be Jordan vs Russell in thread 1 along with say Oscar vs West, and then when it comes to thread 11, you'll see Oscar vs West all over again. It made the 2011 project very difficult to read through.

Fair enough, for me I like the nomination system because it allows people to be engaged in new arguments even when their player has no chance of getting in for multiple threads in a row
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,485

Post#171 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:02 pm

My only objection to ranked choice is the difficulty involved in actually doing the counting. I'd encourage you to formalize your process, meaning spreadsheets, etc, whatever you're going to use to do this, and give it a try on fake data before you actually tally real votes this way.

If you conclude you can do it without issue, it is indeed a stronger voting system.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Tesla
Analyst
And1: 102

Post#172 » by Tesla » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:23 pm

Im ok with RCV as well.
Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more.
-Nikola Tesla
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,235

Post#173 » by ardee » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:48 pm

It's probably a good idea that we're delaying this another 2 weeks because I just realized I need to do a lot of thinking now when it comes to comparing players. Might redo my entire top 50.
THKNKG
Pro Prospect
And1: 368

RealGM Top 100 All-Time (2017)---List, voter panel, meta-thinking thre 

Post#174 » by THKNKG » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:52 pm

Found something that easily calculates it for you, and the format is easy. Here are the examples I typed in (in the proper format):

Russell>Jordan>Kareem
Kareem>Russell>Jordan
Jordan>Lebron>Kareem
Jordan>Kareem>Russell
Kareem>Russell>Jordan
Russell>Duncan>Kareem
Duncan>Russell>Hakeem
Jordan>Shaq>Wilt
Wilt>Kareem>Jordan

Those were the results. It would take 15 minutes or less to do one whole thread I think. Plus, it gives you multiple options to play with. Here's the link:

http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~legrand/rbvote/calc.html

So with that particular example, Kareem won with a greater variety of methods, so he wins.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
All-Time Fantasy Draft Team (90 FGA)

PG: Maurice Cheeks / Giannis
SG: Reggie Miller / Jordan
SF: Michael Jordan / Bruce Bowen
PF: Giannis / Marvin Williams
C: Artis Gilmore / Chris Anderson
THKNKG
Pro Prospect

Post#175 » by THKNKG » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:35 pm

We could have a rule that discussion only focuses on the number 1 choice of a person's ballot, so no nitpicking their 2nd/3rd choice. If they want to pick an unreasonable 2nd choice, fine - it won't have any effect whatsoever on the voting.

So only discuss the first choice.

Here's what a sample ballot for #1 could be (using my current top 3).

1. Bill Russell
Insert long winded explanation....

2. Tim Duncan
I have him over Kareem because he peaked at the same time on O/D, and I value his post prime defensive longevity over KAJ's post prime scoring. I have him over Lebron/MJ because of longevity, and because I feel big men can be/are more impactful than wings.

3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Same as #2.

Then, in response to my ballot, people would only deal with my first choice, Russell.

This works because let's say someone thinks I'm crazy for having Duncan over MJ (I'm sure some do). There's no reason to address my second choice because 1. The #1 vote is the most important anyway and 2. If I really am that far off, that second vote won't make a difference at all (literally none - not just figuratively). Therefore it means if someone decides to be cute and vote Scalabrine, or try to agenda someone into the top 10, unless a lot of people agree with them, it's a waste, and thus we can save our breath by only addressing the #1 choice on the ballot.

trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#176 » by trex_8063 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:33 pm

micahclay wrote:We could have a rule that discussion only focuses on the number 1 choice of a person's ballot, so no nitpicking their 2nd/3rd choice. If they want to pick an unreasonable 2nd choice, fine - it won't have any effect whatsoever on the voting.

fwiw, I'm not going to place limitations regarding what can or cannot be discussed, as long as it's not obnoxious or derailing (to do so would sort of go against the spirit of the project). If people want to do a write-up about their secondary pick, that's great. And if other posters wish to discuss their secondary picks, fantastic.

However---since "extra work" appears to be a sticking point for some---if we do go with this RCV system, I've decided I will not require people do a write-up for their secondary picks. Presumably these secondary choices will be valid candidates who will be earning discussion (and potentially first ballots) from other posters anyway.

THKNKG
Pro Prospect

Post#177 » by THKNKG » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:48 pm

trex_8063 wrote:
micahclay wrote:We could have a rule that discussion only focuses on the number 1 choice of a person's ballot, so no nitpicking their 2nd/3rd choice. If they want to pick an unreasonable 2nd choice, fine - it won't have any effect whatsoever on the voting.

fwiw, I'm not going to place limitations regarding what can or cannot be discussed, as long as it's not obnoxious or derailing (to do so would sort of go against the spirit of the project). If people want to do a write-up about their secondary pick, that's great. And if other posters wish to discuss their secondary picks, fantastic.

However---since "extra work" appears to be a sticking point for some---if we do go with this RCV system, I've decided I will not require people do a write-up for their secondary picks. Presumably these secondary choices will be valid candidates who will be earning discussion (and potentially first ballots) from other posters anyway.

I certainly think that's reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,854

Post#178 » by Colbinii » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:53 pm

I am open minded and open to anything that we think should happen. Let's not let Russia infiltrate the ad's on this website with Jordan gear though.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
An Unbiased Fan
RealGM
And1: 5,512

Post#179 » by An Unbiased Fan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:07 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:I don't love the 2nd and 3rd place vote ideas because it condenses everyone's arguments into the first time they bring up the player, and then they're not as interested to revisit those arguments by the time they actually get in. I would vote against the above 2nd place vote system as well since I think people will feel obligated to explain their votes, I prefer the run-off in the event of a tie

I think you're exactly right. The run-off system worked well enough before, and allows better discussion by far. Simply put, it's inviting all sorts of issues and trouble to add 2nd/3rd places. The POY project comes to mind where people were deliberately dropping players low, and people felt compelled to just follow their previous ranks which negated discussion.
7-time RealGM MVPoster 2009-2016
Inducted into RealGM HOF 1st ballot in 2017
LA Bird
Analyst
And1: 3,145

Post#180 » by LA Bird » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:42 pm

RCV is alright but if the preferences on a vote is exhausted and does not transfer to any of the remaining candidates, is it removed from the total vote count? It is not guaranteed we will end up with only 2 candidates after transferring the votes in which case we might not end with a majority.

I still think a single vote with run off for majority is the simplest and most straightforward way to tally up the votes.

Return to Player Comparisons