LeBron
Shaq
GANGSTERDOG
Sixth Man
And1: 802

Re: RE: Re: Best ball handling team of all time 

Post#22 » by GANGSTERDOG » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:40 pm

clyde21 wrote:
70sFan wrote:Unless you think about flashy moves, James has vastly superior handles than Durant. That's one of the reasons why he's so dangerous as a playmaker. There are very few players in NBA history over 6'7 who are comparable to James as ballhandlers. Grant Hill, Magic Johnson - they are comparable, not KD

Nonsense.

This is Hilarious. The OP thinks that it's so impressive that a 20ish year old KD can out maneuver a 50 year old VC, KG and Matt Barnes lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
3Diamantidis
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,301

Re: Best ball handling team of all time 

Post#23 » by 3Diamantidis » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:58 pm

Penny Hardaway
Pete Maravich
Grant Hill
Kevin Garnett
Arvydas Sabonis
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#24 » by penbeast0 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:42 pm

clyde21 wrote:List the best ball handlers 1-5 of all time, in your opinion, to create the best ball handling team.

Something like:

PG: Kyrie Irving
SG: Pete Maravich
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Shawn Marion
C: DeMarcus Cousins

How would they do in today's NBA?

If you are talking And1 abilities, you can justify Irving and Maravich as your backcourt (I don't think you can justify Marion, his handles were one of the weaknesses of his game). If you are talking ability to get where you want on the court at will without turning the ball over, there are clearly better PG's (Chris Paul for example, or Muggsy Bogues) and probably a few hundred better than the flashy but mistake prone Maravich whose handles were often spectacular but loose (Iverson if you want to go by listed position; Magic if you want to go by defensive assignments; even though Magic's turnover rates are high, that's mainly because he tried to do so much with his passes rather than loose handles).
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Witzig-Okashi
Rookie
And1: 379

Post#25 » by Witzig-Okashi » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:44 pm

Durant has a tendency to carry practically every time he performs a crossover, and though his handle for a guy his height is intriguing to watch at times, I can't make an argument that he is better than Grant Hill or LeBron for the 3.

Penny Hardaway would get serious consideration for the one outside of the typical names generally thought of here, as I don't think I saw his name (I could've overlooked)

Sent from my SM-G386T using RealGM mobile app
"Everybody eats"
-Bradley Beal
"*Sigh* The things I do for love."
-Courage the Cowardly Dog
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#26 » by Ballings7 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:52 pm

Kawhi Leonard in terms of ball control on scoring moves, is actually elite, due to his very large hands.

He makes shots that are quite difficult generally that you don't think will go in on a regular basis due to this. The shots are actually good shots for him because of his ability to hold onto the ball while in scoring motion like almost no one else I've seen since MJ. Some of the shots he's made around the rim are similar in nature to MJ (who also had big hands for a wing player).

Kawhi's hands are barely smaller than Shaq's

How did he finish on that dunking angle? Due to his hand controlling the ball like it was glued to it. Watch at 0:42 for the replay - the extension is remarkable.

More examples. Incredible, especially if watch closely. The ball is like a rubber toy-basketball for Leonard.

clyde21 wrote:
70sFan wrote:Unless you think about flashy moves, James has vastly superior handles than Durant. That's one of the reasons why he's so dangerous as a playmaker. There are very few players in NBA history over 6'7 who are comparable to James as ballhandlers. Grant Hill, Magic Johnson - they are comparable, not KD

Nonsense.

When one thinks of point-forwards and impressive dribble drives with handles, Durant just isn't someone people think of.

Durant is not an elite ballhandler like LeBron, Pippen, Hill, Joe Johnson, Turkoglu, Bird were/are. Durant is good and certainly capable, but not that close to any of those guys.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
NormanDale
Rookie
And1: 629

Post#27 » by NormanDale » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:51 pm

Lakerfan17 wrote:Jamal Crawford or Iverson
Kobe
McGrady or Hill
LeBron
Shaq

Glad you mentioned Iverson, but he was a 2-guard for most of his career, so that's where I'm putting him. He's easily the best ball-handling 2-guard of all time. Also glad you mentioned Hill, who gets forgotten. McGrady was a 2-guard in his prime, though.

Isiah Thomas (Detroit)
Iverson
Hill
LeBron (4 is his best position these days, and has been for at least 5 years)
Draymond

If LeBron and Draymond are considered cheating, I'm going with Blake Griffin and Karl Towns in those two spots.
Hear you tell it, man I'm fallin/Well somebody must have caught him/Cause every fourth quarter/I like to Mike Jordan 'em.

"I think you'll find that these are the exact same dimensions as our gym back at Hickory."
KobesScarf
Veteran
And1: 602

Post#28 » by KobesScarf » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:34 am

Paul
Maravich
T-Mac
Webber
Wilt
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,532

Post#29 » by dhsilv2 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:10 am

PockyCandy wrote:

What if you qualify Durant as a PF/C? How many 6'11-ish guys (which is supposedly his height barefoot) can handle the ball like Durant? Maybe Bob McAdoo? Giannis? The list is pretty short.

I dunno a lot of guys could do it if they were allowed to take 4-5 steps and palm the ball at will. A lot of people are focused on the ability of a player to move vs just ball handling. Sabonis for example had great ball handling. But in the nba he was pretty slow. Hakeem had great ball handling. Tim Duncan I saw way way too often bringing the ball up. Shaq had sick handles as well. Neither were guys I'd want to take the ball off the dribble, but that's a different topic.
Baski
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,950

Post#30 » by Baski » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:46 am

Paul
Frobe
McGrady( I'm inclined to say Hill but i never saw him in his day)
Blake
Cousins for sure. Never seen any center dribble like him, past or present.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,235

Post#31 » by ardee » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:17 am

Kyrie
Kobe
LeBron
Griffin
Pau

Sent from my SM-J700F using RealGM mobile app
Lou Fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 673

All-Time ball handling team 

Post#32 » by Lou Fan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:26 am

PG Bogues
SG Iverson
SF McGrady
PF Webber
C Cousins
That's my team what do you think?
smartyz456 wrote:Duncan would be a better defending jahlil okafor in todays nba
penbeast0

Re: All-Time ball handling team 

Post#33 » by penbeast0 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:34 am

Are you talking about just handles, passing ability, or playmaking in the open court? Lists could be very different depending on what you are talking about and if you are talking about ability relative to others in league since the handling rules have changed as or more dramatically than any other part of the game.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Lou Fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 673

Post#34 » by Lou Fan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:50 am

penbeast0 wrote:Are you talking about just handles, passing ability, or playmaking in the open court? Lists could be very different depending on what you are talking about and if you are talking about ability relative to others in league since the handling rules have changed as or more dramatically than any other part of the game.

Just handles and probably relative to the competition.
smartyz456 wrote:Duncan would be a better defending jahlil okafor in todays nba
SHAQ32
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,947

Post#35 » by SHAQ32 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:01 am

I like Danny Manning at power forward.

You could go with Odom too but he played the 3 a few seasons.
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#36 » by LakerLegend » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:04 am

We just had a thread on this:

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1599116#start_here
euroleague
General Manager
And1: 1,869

Post#37 » by euroleague » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:10 am

AI
MJ
KD
KG
DMC

ok, fine. not them - but they are my all-time best handles acronym team.
penbeast0

Post#38 » by penbeast0 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:05 pm

In terms of actual team, I'd go with the Sacramento Kings of:
Mike Bibby -- solid PG handles
Christie -- excellent handles for a wing
Peja -- good handles for a 3/4, average for a wing
Webber -- excellent handles for a 4/5
Vlade -- handles weren't great but for a guy over 7' tall were solid and excellent court vision

In terms of 5 deep team, they were to me the GOAT handling/passing team because both their bigs were well above average

Return to Player Comparisons