Larry Bird in today's league: How good would he be?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Re: Larry Bird in today's league: How good would he be? 

Post#61 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Aug 5, 2017 2:38 am

wojoaderge wrote:
thekdog34 wrote:Bird averaged 1.7 steals per game.

Now steals aren't everything, but it's an indication that he was a stronger defender that some of the guys he's being compared to (Love, Dirk).

Yes but he couldn't guard a chair

Bird could guard a Bulldozer. Bird could not guard a Dr J or anybody with blazing foot speed unless the guy with foot speed had no jumper in which case Bird could just wait for them to come to the paint and Bird could gurd them.

Bird's problem was staying in front of fast players with good dribbles on the outside. Other than that one glaring problem Bird was an excelent defender.

The Celtics soved Bird's defensive problem buy letting Bird defend the power forwards. Bird mostly did not guard small forwards. The Celtics learned early that Maxwell and McHale needed to guard people like Dr J and let Bird guard bigger people.

Now days you would have the power forward set a pick out at the 3 point line to force Bird to switch onto a guard. That tactic was not used much in Bird's time. In Bird's time there was nobody that could shoot 3s off the dribble while coming off a pick so even if a pick was set Bird and his teammate could head back towards the rim and leave the guard and power forward undefended at the 3 point line.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#62 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Aug 5, 2017 2:53 am

Ballerhogger wrote:I look at bird as meaner, tougher dirk in this current NBA climate.

Dirk is probably the best comparison except Dirk is an inch taller and has a more perfect stroke while Bird was significantly superior to Dirk in every other way. Bird has more releases, gets a quicker start reacting to every play, is more creative, has court vision better than every player over 6' 4" that has ever played the game and Bird was meaner and tougher.
wojoaderge
Veteran
And1: 1,492

Post#63 » by wojoaderge » Sat Aug 5, 2017 3:04 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
wojoaderge wrote:

Now steals aren't everything, but it's an indication that he was a stronger defender that some of the guys he's being compared to (Love, Dirk).

Bird could guard a Bulldozer. Bird could not guard a Dr J or anybody with blazing foot speed unless the guy with foot speed had no jumper in which case Bird could just wait for them to come to the paint and Bird could gurd them.

Bird's problem was staying in front of fast players with good dribbles on the outside. Other than that one glaring problem Bird was an excelent defender.

The Celtics soved Bird's defensive problem buy letting Bird defend the power forwards. Bird mostly did not guard small forwards. The Celtics learned early that Maxwell and McHale needed to guard people like Dr J and let Bird guard bigger people.

Now days you would have the power forward set a pick out at the 3 point line to force Bird to switch onto a guard. That tactic was not used much in Bird's time. In Bird's time there was nobody that could shoot 3s off the dribble while coming off a pick so even if a pick was set Bird and his teammate could head back towards the rim and leave the guard and power forward undefended at the 3 point line.

I don't know. Anyone can look acceptable guarding the other's team's non-featured forward
"Coach, why don't you just relax? We're not good enough to beat the Lakers. We've had a great year, why don't you just relax and cool down?"
thekdog34
Starter
And1: 782

Post#64 » by thekdog34 » Sat Aug 5, 2017 3:10 am

wojoaderge wrote:

It seems to me that PFs need to be able to defend the paint while also being able to run out quickly to the 3pt line

I don't know that they are actually on islands against drive penetration that much. I could be wrong.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#65 » by Kabookalu » Sat Aug 5, 2017 3:11 am

I think Bird could do better defensively in today's league than his own to be honest. I think one of the many gifts of Larry Bird that goes overlooked is his strong hands. They're very Chris Paul and Kawhi Leonard in that sense. When you see him in a scuffle for the ball, you'll almost always see Bird come out with it already racing towards the other side of the court. I don't think there were a lot of opportunities in his era to make use of his hands as double teaming wasn't allowed, and I think they introduced that rule around the early part of his career too actually. Today I'm amazed at the attention to detail coaches like Carlisle and Thibs put into their defenses. I think Bird could thrive defensively to make use of his strong hands and would be viewed as a terrific help defender.
Read on Twitter
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#66 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Aug 5, 2017 3:34 am

wojoaderge wrote:
wojoaderge wrote:Yes but he couldn't guard a chair

I don't know. Anyone can look acceptable guarding the other's team's non-featured forward

Bird made the 2nd team all NBA defensive team and it was not just because Bird was white and Bird was an offensive star. It was coaches not writers giving out the award at that time. When a player is a bad man to man defender but a good team defender it makes sense to get that player onto a secondary scorer.

I rewatched the Jordan goes crazy good game vs the great 1986 celtics. Woolridge was the Bulls 2nd scorer. Woolridge was a good scorering small forward but he wasn't used to facing a super long armed defender like McHale so Woolridge was inneficiency. Bird had Oakley. Bird kept cheating off Oakley and Bird created problems for the Bulls as a help defender. Bird stripped Corzine because Corzine is only watching Parrish. Bird helps McHale with Woolridge and helps the guards with Jordan. Bird jumps passing lanes and gets steals. But Bird has the peripheral vision to keep an eye on Oakley so Bird can give help without losing Oakley and Bird can battle Oakley for rebounds while still giving help. Oakley generally demolishes people in rebounding but he doesn't demolish Bird in rebounding despite Bird being all over the court helping out.
wojoaderge
Veteran
And1: 1,492

Post#67 » by wojoaderge » Sat Aug 5, 2017 4:06 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:When a player is a bad man to man defender

That's all i'm saying
"Coach, why don't you just relax? We're not good enough to beat the Lakers. We've had a great year, why don't you just relax and cool down?"
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#68 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Aug 5, 2017 4:18 am

wojoaderge wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:When a player is a bad man to man defender

That's all i'm saying

Bird is not a bad man to man defender at power forward. I think Bird would do OK defending Karl Malone or Dirk or Duncan but you don't want Bird defending Dominque Wilkins or Vince Carter or LeBron James.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#69 » by studcrackers » Sat Aug 5, 2017 8:14 am

Ballerhogger wrote:I look at bird as meaner, tougher dirk in this current NBA climate.

Dirk is probably the best comparison except Dirk is an inch taller and has a more perfect stroke while Bird was significantly superior to Dirk in every other way. Bird has more releases, gets a quicker start reacting to every play, is more creative, has court vision better than every player over 6' 4" that has ever played the game and Bird was meaner and tougher.

When did Dirk shrink 4 inches?
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Oscar9992
Analyst
And1: 2,935

Post#70 » by Oscar9992 » Sat Aug 5, 2017 2:17 pm

Bird would be better in today's NBA then he would be 10-20 years ago... cause of importance of 3PT shooting and shooting overall.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,514

Post#71 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Aug 5, 2017 3:17 pm

It's funny to say this, but Dirk's peak was in a very different era of the nba. I know he's active and all, but 2011 was a different time and 06 was a very different time. The more I watch the more I think Jokic is actually a good comp, just he'd have a jumper and better hands on defense.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#72 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Aug 5, 2017 3:20 pm

Kabookalu wrote:I think Bird could do better defensively in today's league than his own to be honest. I think one of the many gifts of Larry Bird that goes overlooked is his strong hands. They're very Chris Paul and Kawhi Leonard in that sense. When you see him in a scuffle for the ball, you'll almost always see Bird come out with it already racing towards the other side of the court. I don't think there were a lot of opportunities in his era to make use of his hands as double teaming wasn't allowed, and I think they introduced that rule around the early part of his career too actually. Today I'm amazed at the attention to detail coaches like Carlisle and Thibs put into their defenses. I think Bird could thrive defensively to make use of his strong hands and would be viewed as a terrific help defender.

Double teams were legal, zone where you don't really guard anyone but stand between players was banned. Given the poor spacing Bird was able to double plenty down low. Hand checking was also legal then so if someone was trying to take bird off the dribble he could be much more aggressive with his hands. He played in a great era for his hands, imo far better than today with hand checking banned.
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#73 » by Kabookalu » Sat Aug 5, 2017 3:37 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Kabookalu wrote:I think Bird could do better defensively in today's league than his own to be honest. I think one of the many gifts of Larry Bird that goes overlooked is his strong hands. They're very Chris Paul and Kawhi Leonard in that sense. When you see him in a scuffle for the ball, you'll almost always see Bird come out with it already racing towards the other side of the court. I don't think there were a lot of opportunities in his era to make use of his hands as double teaming wasn't allowed, and I think they introduced that rule around the early part of his career too actually. Today I'm amazed at the attention to detail coaches like Carlisle and Thibs put into their defenses. I think Bird could thrive defensively to make use of his strong hands and would be viewed as a terrific help defender.

Double teams were legal, zone where you don't really guard anyone but stand between players was banned. Given the poor spacing Bird was able to double plenty down low. Hand checking was also legal then so if someone was trying to take bird off the dribble he could be much more aggressive with his hands. He played in a great era for his hands, imo far better than today with hand checking banned.

That's right my mistake, meant to say that double teaming off the ball was illegal.

What you say sounds good in theory, however it's not rooted with reality. For one, because the spacing is poor, that made it more likely for illegal double teams to occur. The rules back then promoted a ton of one on one play, and for the most part that's what happened. Relative to this era there wasn't a whole lot of help defense going on outside of centers protecting the paint. And hand checking doesn't mean a player is able to completely arm bar someone from getting to their desired spots. There's nothing that anyone can do when they're beaten off the dribble; they can't just grab that person's arm. Hand checking allowed good perimeter defenders to do a slightly better job of keeping up with their man. It didn't completely make up for a complete lack of foot speed and lateral quickness.

Read on Twitter
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#74 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Aug 5, 2017 3:59 pm

Kabookalu wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

That's right my mistake, meant to say that double teaming off the ball was illegal.

What you say sounds good in theory, however it's not rooted with reality. For one, because the spacing is poor that made it more likely for illegal double teams to occur. The rules back then promoted a ton of one on one play, and for the most part that's what happened. Relative to this era there wasn't a whole lot of help defense going on outside of centers protecting the paint. And hand checking doesn't mean a player is able to completely arm bar someone from getting to their desired spots. There's nothing that anyone can do when they're beaten off the dribble; they can't just grab that person's arm. Hand checking allowed good perimeter defenders to do a slightly better job of keeping up with their man. It didn't completely make up for a complete lack of foot speed and lateral quickness.

Bird played a lot in the paint on defense where he had Parish and McHale around. Similarly he was there too to double. Absolutely there was more iso though.

As for hand checking, it's harder to drive past someone who can physically hit your hand while you're dribbling. This was one of MJ's greatest strengths as well. Dan Majerle who was a pretty good athlete, but wasn't very fast latterally and got only worse as he aged was still getting steals off players and not getting beat off the dribble thanks to his hands well into his 30's.
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#75 » by Kabookalu » Sat Aug 5, 2017 4:13 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Kabookalu wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

What you say sounds good in theory, however it's not rooted with reality. For one, because the spacing is poor that made it more likely for illegal double teams to occur. The rules back then promoted a ton of one on one play, and for the most part that's what happened. Relative to this era there wasn't a whole lot of help defense going on outside of centers protecting the paint. And hand checking doesn't mean a player is able to completely arm bar someone from getting to their desired spots. There's nothing that anyone can do when they're beaten off the dribble; they can't just grab that person's arm. Hand checking allowed good perimeter defenders to do a slightly better job of keeping up with their man. It didn't completely make up for a complete lack of foot speed and lateral quickness.

Bird played a lot in the paint on defense where he had Parish and McHale around. Similarly he was there too to double. Absolutely there was more iso though.

As for hand checking, it's harder to drive past someone who can physically hit your hand while you're dribbling. This was one of MJ's greatest strengths as well. Dan Majerle who was a pretty good athlete, but wasn't very fast latterally and got only worse as he aged was still getting steals off players and not getting beat off the dribble thanks to his hands well into his 30's.

I mean he was there, it just didn't happen too often though. It's not like the refs were super strict about calling every single instance of a player doubling a non ballhandler, however they almost ALWAYS called it when the player was being doubled while still in possession of the ball, and then passed it out. That helper better be running away from the player they were doubling like their life depended on it, or else it's a surefire whistle. Those were the easiest calls to make just because the refs are always focusing on the ballhandler. Double teaming was discouraged and it just didn't happen a lot. That's a free point they're giving up.

Hitting someone on the hand while they're dribbling is illegal in any era, lol. Hand checking allowed defenders to put their hands and forearm on the ballhandler, they weren't allowed to slap the player around.

Read on Twitter
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#76 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Aug 5, 2017 4:40 pm

Kabookalu wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Kabookalu wrote:

I mean he was there, it just didn't happen too often though. It's not like the refs were super strict about calling every single instance of a player doubling a non ballhandler, however they almost ALWAYS called it when the player was being doubled while still in possession of the ball, and then passed it out. That helper better be running away from the player they were doubling like their life depended on it, or else it's a surefire whistle. Those were the easiest calls to make just because the refs are always focusing on the ballhandler. Double teaming was discouraged and it just didn't happen a lot. That's a free point they're giving up.

Hitting someone on the hand while they're dribbling is illegal in any era, lol. Hand checking allowed defenders to put their hands and forearm on the ballhandler, they weren't allowed to slap the player around.

You're correct on hand checking...though I sure saw enough hands getting swatted in that era...

As for the defense, the rule was you cannot double from the weakside, but you still had the 3 second rules and all that. Bird was often involved in doubles in the paint. But not on the outside. Still hand checking and tigher spacing imo made bird a better defender. Today his lack of speed would limit his ability to be that zone double team guy.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#77 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Aug 5, 2017 9:06 pm

studcrackers wrote:

6'' 4" is not about Dirk. Dirks court vision isn't anything special.

6 4 because I am not saying Bird has better court vision that Steve Nash.

I am saying Bird had better court vision than Magic Johnson and Jason Kidd.

There may be some slow 6' 1" guards with poor shots but court vision better than Bird sitting at the end of some NBA bench that have better court vision than Bird but have never been noticed by me.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#78 » by Ballerhogger » Sat Aug 5, 2017 10:09 pm

studcrackers wrote:

There may be some slow 6' 1" guards with poor shots but court vision better than Bird sitting at the end of some NBA bench that have better court vision than Bird but have never been noticed by me.

I wouldn't say he better vision that magic .
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#79 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Aug 5, 2017 10:22 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Kabookalu wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

You're correct on hand checking...though I sure saw enough hands getting swatted in that era...

As for the defense, the rule was you cannot double from the weakside, but you still had the 3 second rules and all that. Bird was often involved in doubles in the paint. But not on the outside. Still hand checking and tigher spacing imo made bird a better defender. Today his lack of speed would limit his ability to be that zone double team guy.

There is a difference between 1980s and 1990s. From what I have read I think it might be coach Cotton Fitzsimmons in the late 1980s who came up with clearing out a side with non shooter standing out at the weak side 3 point line to forces the refs to call illegal defense if anybody tried to sag over to the strong side. He got copied by coaches that came later in the 1990s.

I also have this vague memory of the NBA promoting so e minor rule tweak in tgec1990s that was supposed to give us fans more exciting one on one match ups like Michael Jordan vs Gary Payton with Gary Payton on an island. I can't find that minor rule tweak when I search for it in the history of rule changes.

We fans in the 1990s (or at least the media) believed the NBA's promotion that we were going to be excited by one on play but then we discovered extreme isolation basketball was boring basketball and the NBA got worried about TV ratings and the NBA changed their mind about promoting one on one basketball.

The 3 point shooting was the other big change. Players and coaches were anti-3 point shot because they that it was an ABA gimmick. They told us that 3 point shots will create long rebounds leading to fast breaks and therefore taking 3 point shots will harm teams even if the team has a decent 3 point shooter. The coaches were wrong. I read that Rick Pitino in the late 1980s was the first coach to embrace the 3 point shot. Pitino had been forced to use the 3 point shot in college because he had a team that could not win without the 3 point shot and then Pitino found himself coaching young Patrick Ewing who was struggling with his insde scoring because help defenders were bothering Ewing. Pitino had some players that could shoot 3s like Trent Tucker and Pitino had them start firing up 3s to create floor spacing for Ewing. Nobody had tried to use 3 point shooting to get the help defenders out of the paint before Pitino.

Bird claims he never practiced 3s except for just before the all star weekend three point shooting contests.

I was a Celtic fan in the 1980s before I moved to Northern California. I had never seen a modern team team set as many screens as the regular season 2015-2016 Warriors. I did see game film of 1960s teams setting very man screens to set up team mates for catch and shoot 10 foot shots. It was as if the 2015-16 Warriors had taken a 1960s offense and extended it out to the 3 point line.

What I saw Bird do in the 1989s is create screens for himself by running his defenders into other defenders that have their heads turned because they are trying to defend one of Bird's teammates.

Young 1980s Jordan would catch the ball at 18 feet out (within his shooting range) and beat his man off the dribble and then at about 9 feet out Jordan is seeing 3 help defenders coming over and Jordan picks the clearest path to the rim and tries to go arround and the help defenders and through the sea if reaching arms. That was more exciting basketball than any Jordan vs Payton one on one isolation. Too bad young Jordan did not have enough help from his teammates to put on his show deep in the playoffs.

The 1980s played fluid interior passing offenses compared to the 1990s. If there was a problem with the 1980s game it was poor defensive effort prior to the 4th quarters. In the 4th quarters the teams with extensive playoff experience cranked up their playoff versions of team defense while the teams without playoff experience cranked up their effort but looked disjointed and confused about where to sag to and when to rotate and switch.

The 1980s playoff experienced defense blatantly broke the illegal defense rules and the refs allowed that. They played a zonish man to man similar to what is played today excepts they sort of half pretended to defend their own men by moving a bit when their men moved even if they were in the paint and the man they were theoretically guarding was 12 feet away. These were extreme sags but they still were loosely connected to the guys they were theoretically guarding. Today players don't have to pretend to guard anybody but somebody has to guard the 3 point shooters. In the 1980s the 3 point shooters were not good enough to be guarded. The idea was just to let players shoot 3s and if they are good enough to hit thoses shots you put about with that. When a good shooter got to about 16 feet from the basket the sagging defender would stop sagging and would get back to his man.

The 1980s knew the long 2 was a bad shot for anybody except somebody like Andrew Toney. What the 1980s did not understand was how much better a 3 point shot was. If a mediocre shooter hits 17 footers at 40% let him shoot them but if he shoots 3s at 35% that is a good shot and he should keep firing 3s until his defenders guards him instead of sagging to provide help defense. Even if the 1980s NBA understood floor spacing they stil dis not have many players that could shoot open 3s at 35%. The 1980s NBA had guys that could shoot open 3s at 25% even though they never practiced 3 point shooting. all thoses guys that could hit 3% at 25% should have been practicing 3s to turn themselves into 35% three point shooters.

The NBA was full of smart coaches but they were not thinking outside of the box and they could not understand the value of 3 point shooting. What I find scary about 1980s coaches not understanding the value of the 3 point shoot is how many of our government policies are based on stuck in the box incorrect pack thinking every bit as stupid as the world's best coaches not understanding the value of floor spacing. At least in the NBA coaches eventually learn.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#80 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Aug 5, 2017 10:37 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:
studcrackers wrote:

I wouldn't say he better vision that magic .

I know saying Bird has better Court vision than Magic is controversial. Magic has all thoses assists but Magic had the ball in his hand and could dribble against pressure while maintaining his court vision. Bird's difficulty dribbling against good dribble defenders is what makes comparing Bird and Magic's court vision difficult. I do think Bird had the better court vision but Magic's vision is at least almost as good and Magic's dribbling was a lot better than Bird's. If Bird had Magics foot speed And arm length it would have helped Bird.

Magic did not have the fastest foot speed but Magic compensated by dribbling the ball were the defender was not. Magic could extend his dribble left, right or leed himself forward by pushing the dribble far forward depending on where the defender was. LeBron uses Magic's dribbling techniques. The Lakers almost did not draft Magic because they had some concern about whether Magic's technique of dribbling the ball extended away from his body would work at the NBA level.

Bird had short arms so Bird was not a good candidate to try the Magic / LeBron dribbling style.

Return to Player Comparisons