PC Board OT Thread Take 3

Moderators: trex_8063, PaulieWal, Quotatious, penbeast0, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Eskobar13
Starter
And1: 1,286

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 3 

Post#4481 » by Eskobar13 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:44 am

Dr Spaceman wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:What line of work you in Spaceman?

I’ve been working as a tour guide for 2.5 years. Backed out of medical school and moved to Europe 3 years ago and have been doing odd jobs since then. I have a European passport so I can kinda just do whatever I want. Don’t know exactly what I’ll do in Portugal yet, probably get a job as a server at a tourist bar for a bit and look into starting my own business. I’d love to start some sort of outdoor adventure company.

I can actually give you some pointers and maybe even introduce you to some people to help in that! (I work in hospitaly/tourism myself, although I'm trying to bounce lol)

I'm likely going to be out of posting the forum for a while now, but also if you're looking for a help with getting a room or something, send a pm and I'd be able to help if I can.
Jaivl
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,572

Post#4482 » by Jaivl » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:26 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Eskobar13 wrote:.

Joey Wheeler wrote:.

Looks like I’ll be moving to Lisbon around Oct 1st. Super excited, I love everything about Portugal. Would be awesome to catch some games with you guys when the season starts. For the last three years all my game watching has been done in a dark room by myself on an iPad :lol:

Dude, it's only a 5h drive away from here. Not "whole roundtrip on the same day" like Porto, but still doable.
Maf wrote:I'd undestand if anyone had KG outside top ten PF's. Having him top five all-time? Often I jokingly rank Kyle Korver as the GOAT but I never try to fake serious discussion about it.

ShawnKemp96 wrote:Infact he made a lot more steals than the statisticians think.
Joey Wheeler
Sixth Man
And1: 1,129

Post#4483 » by Joey Wheeler » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:00 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:

Looks like I’ll be moving to Lisbon around Oct 1st. Super excited, I love everything about Portugal. Would be awesome to catch some games with you guys when the season starts. For the last three years all my game watching has been done in a dark room by myself on an iPad :lol:

Awesome, hope things work out for you in Lisbon. I'm defo game for watching some NBA games together. Also if you want to meet up just in general, we can do it too, I'm assuming you already know Lisbon rather well but eh I've been living here all my life, I'm sure there's still a thing or two I can show you + I love showing people around Lisbon.

Also are you planning to live in center Lisbon or somewhere in the Cascais line?
PockyCandy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 15,883

Post#4484 » by PockyCandy » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:43 am

My time covering a soccer team has proven to me that, regardless the sport, coaches value defense far more than offense. Are you a talented midfielder who can score goals with the best of them, but is a sieve on defense and aimlessly floats around when the other team has possession? To the bench you go!

My Youtube Channel. The #1 place to watch highlights of classic running-backs AND forgotten NBA legends:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRCZ96IaHDaW8xr5TZq3GUQ
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 9,244

Post#4485 » by Dr Spaceman » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:04 pm

Joey Wheeler wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Awesome, hope things work out for you in Lisbon. I'm defo game for watching some NBA games together. Also if you want to meet up just in general, we can do it too, I'm assuming you already know Lisbon rather well but eh I've been living here all my life, I'm sure there's still a thing or two I can show you + I love showing people around Lisbon.

Also are you planning to live in center Lisbon or somewhere in the Cascais line?

Yeah that would be fantastic! I just booked my flight- one way ticket arrives 1 Oct. Not sure about housing yet- any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I was in Lisbon for 7 days but really only did tourist stuff, so it would be great to get another perspective on the city. I know a few people there already but the more friends the merrier. I’ll shoot you a PM with my contact info later on
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 18,543
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#4486 » by E-Balla » Thu Aug 1, 2019 2:26 pm

Spaceman is living the life. I'd love to be able to just chill abroad for a while and see the world while I'm young. :lol:
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." - Martin Luther King
ardee
RealGM
And1: 3,823

Post#4487 » by ardee » Fri Aug 2, 2019 1:37 am

Dr Spaceman wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:What line of work you in Spaceman?

I’ve been working as a tour guide for 2.5 years. Backed out of medical school and moved to Europe 3 years ago and have been doing odd jobs since then. I have a European passport so I can kinda just do whatever I want. Don’t know exactly what I’ll do in Portugal yet, probably get a job as a server at a tourist bar for a bit and look into starting my own business. I’d love to start some sort of outdoor adventure company.

Oh guess I misread what you said the last time you posted about this. I thought the plan was to go to Europe TO go to med school.
The High Cyde
Starter
And1: 4,138

Post#4488 » by The High Cyde » Fri Aug 2, 2019 6:11 pm

Anyone watch Goliath, it's an Amazon Prime original.
It's pretty damn good; Billy Bob Thornton is the lead, he's been typecast into the drunk who redeems lol but he plays it well. Just binged the first season haha
Zeitgeister
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,144

Post#4489 » by Zeitgeister » Sat Aug 3, 2019 4:39 am

Speaking of Amazon Prime originals, the Boys is one of the best shows I've seen in some time. It not only bucks the superhero trope of them being all good guys, it's a take down of celebrity worship, addresses the greed of corporations and corrupt institutions that will cover up their crimes no matter how bad they are in order to perpetuate themselves. The characters are three dimensional, even those who are committing immoral acts, it's hard not to empathize with them in some way. It also has one of the best villains I've ever seen.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 10,908

Post#4490 » by HeartBreakKid » Sat Aug 3, 2019 7:45 am

Zeitgeister wrote:Speaking of Amazon Prime originals, the Boys is one of the best shows I've seen in some time. It not only bucks the superhero trope of them being all good guys, it's a take down of celebrity worship, addresses the greed of corporations and corrupt institutions that will cover up their crimes no matter how bad they are in order to perpetuate themselves. The characters are three dimensional, even those who are committing immoral acts, it's hard not to empathize with them in some way. It also has one of the best villains I've ever seen.

I've been looking at the boys for a while, seems like it has a lot of hype on youtube. Wasn't sure about watching a series that is entirely set in one color tone (from the thumbnails ive seen lol).

I did get The Expanse which is supposed to be stellar, and is being renewed by Amazon. Guess Amazon is going for the jugular with its originals.

I see they have a Good Omens adaption also (I'm reading Sandman by Neil Gaiman at the moment).
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 14,922

Post#4491 » by MisterHibachi » Sat Aug 3, 2019 11:11 am

Most excited for Amazon's Lord of the Rings series. Seems like it'll be set in the Second Age.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
eminence
Head Coach
And1: 3,357

Post#4492 » by eminence » Sat Aug 3, 2019 12:13 pm

The Boys comic is pretty solid, not sure I'll get around to watching the show or not (have to carefully choose the shows I'll watch in my freetime, doubt The Boys would be appropriate for my toddler).
'17-'18 APBR Win Projections Champion (1st of 20)
'18-'19 5th of 18
Zeitgeister
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,144

Post#4493 » by Zeitgeister » Sat Aug 3, 2019 1:12 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
Zeitgeister wrote:Speaking of Amazon Prime originals, the Boys is one of the best shows I've seen in some time. It not only bucks the superhero trope of them being all good guys, it's a take down of celebrity worship, addresses the greed of corporations and corrupt institutions that will cover up their crimes no matter how bad they are in order to perpetuate themselves. The characters are three dimensional, even those who are committing immoral acts, it's hard not to empathize with them in some way. It also has one of the best villains I've ever seen.

I've been looking at the boys for a while, seems like it has a lot of hype on youtube. Wasn't sure about watching a series that is entirely set in one color tone (from the thumbnails ive seen lol).

I did get The Expanse which is supposed to be stellar, and is being renewed by Amazon. Guess Amazon is going for the jugular with its originals.

I see they have a Good Omens adaption also (I'm reading Sandman by Neil Gaiman at the moment).

Amazon is definitely interested in producing high quality shows, the new Lord of the Rings series has a 1 billion dollar budget. I haven't been too drawn in by their output up until the Boys came out though, I tried watching Sneaky Pete but that didn't grab me, same with Hanna but I need to give that a bit more of a chance.

The Boys is pretty special though, I've been pretty burned out on the super heroes thing but this was a breath of fresh air.

eminence wrote:The Boys comic is pretty solid, not sure I'll get around to watching the show or not (have to carefully choose the shows I'll watch in my freetime, doubt The Boys would be appropriate for my toddler).

I haven't read the comic but what seems to be the consensus is that the show is an improvement across the board. It's definitely not light on gore and there's nudity too so yeah, not great viewing for a toddler.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 10,908

Post#4494 » by HeartBreakKid » Sun Aug 4, 2019 10:06 am

Zeitgeister wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:

Amazon is definitely interested in producing high quality shows, the new Lord of the Rings series has a 1 billion dollar budget. I haven't been too drawn in by their output up until the Boys came out though, I tried watching Sneaky Pete but that didn't grab me, same with Hanna but I need to give that a bit more of a chance.

The Boys is pretty special though, I've been pretty burned out on the super heroes thing but this was a breath of fresh air.

eminence wrote:The Boys comic is pretty solid, not sure I'll get around to watching the show or not (have to carefully choose the shows I'll watch in my freetime, doubt The Boys would be appropriate for my toddler).

I haven't read the comic but what seems to be the consensus is that the show is an improvement across the board. It's definitely not light on gore and there's nudity too so yeah, not great viewing for a toddler.

I don't have my hopes up for LOTR.

I watched The Boys this weekend and it was really good. These type of stories are done a lot in comics, so it didn't really stick out as a comic book.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#4495 » by E-Balla » Sun Aug 4, 2019 12:51 pm

Man I woke up to news there was another mass shooting last night and assumed I was misreading it...

That's the Garlic Festival, Walmart, and now Dayton shooting in the last week. 2 in less than 24 hours.

31 dead, 81 injured between the 3 shootings IIRC. No info on the third shooter but the first two are confirmed gen z white nationalists. This is the result of the school shooter generation hitting adulthood?

America is ****.
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." - Martin Luther King
Dr Spaceman
General Manager

Post#4496 » by Dr Spaceman » Sun Aug 4, 2019 1:51 pm

E-Balla wrote:Man I woke up to news there was another mass shooting last night and assumed I was misreading it...

That's the Garlic Festival, Walmart, and now Dayton shooting in the last week. 2 in less than 24 hours.

31 dead, 81 injured between the 3 shootings IIRC. No info on the third shooter but the first two are confirmed gen z white nationalists. This is the result of the school shooter generation hitting adulthood?

America is ****.

There is something rotten brewing at the core of American society. I don’t want to be too dramatic but I don’t know of any society on earth right now that has this type of affinity for violence. Gun control won’t solve the whole problem. It’s necessary but it’s a band aid. The problem is multifaceted and has to do with some really fundamental tenets of American society. I don’t see how this ends without continuing to get worse.
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 14,922

Post#4497 » by MisterHibachi » Sun Aug 4, 2019 2:06 pm

There are probably already too many guns for simple gun control to solve the problem. The state would have not just prevent the purchase of new guns but also aggressively reduce the supply already in the market.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
Dr Spaceman
General Manager

Post#4498 » by Dr Spaceman » Sun Aug 4, 2019 2:16 pm

MisterHibachi wrote:There are probably already too many guns for simple gun control to solve the problem. The state would have not just prevent the purchase of new guns but also aggressively reduce the supply already in the market.

I am pro-gun control as it has worked wonders in every stable developed nation on earth but there are other ways to perform mass killings. Not as efficient of course but this is the result of a radicalization of young white males at a scale that is quickly growing catastrophic.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#4499 » by E-Balla » Sun Aug 4, 2019 2:28 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Man I woke up to news there was another mass shooting last night and assumed I was misreading it...

America is ****.

There is something rotten brewing at the core of American society. I don’t want to be too dramatic but I don’t know of any society on earth right now that has this type of affinity for violence. Gun control won’t solve the whole problem. It’s necessary but it’s a band aid. The problem is multifaceted and has to do with some really fundamental tenets of American society. I don’t see how this ends without continuing to get worse.

I don't think you are being dramatic. America is the ONLY country on Earth with bounty hunters. We let random people get guns and hunt other people for money. Things like this story only happens in America, and I mean that as literally as possible:

https://fox17.com/news/local/7-bounty-hunters-shot-at-wrong-car-in-clarksville-charged-with-murder

These guys got acquitted earlier this week.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#4500 » by E-Balla » Sun Aug 4, 2019 2:30 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
MisterHibachi wrote:There are probably already too many guns for simple gun control to solve the problem. The state would have not just prevent the purchase of new guns but also aggressively reduce the supply already in the market.

I am pro-gun control as it has worked wonders in every stable developed nation on earth but there are other ways to perform mass killings. Not as efficient of course but this is the result of a radicalization of young white males at a scale that is quickly growing catastrophic.

And gun control is broad. I don't know anyone against ALL gun control. I'm against things like an assault weapon ban but I can 100% see why background checks need to be universal for example and guns need licenses like cars (as likely as that is to be used to disarm, or criminalize black men).

Return to Player Comparisons