PC Board OT Thread Take 3

Moderators: trex_8063, PaulieWal, Quotatious, penbeast0, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 6,516

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 3 

Post#4501 » by Colbinii » Sun Aug 4, 2019 4:19 pm

E-Balla wrote:Man I woke up to news there was another mass shooting last night and assumed I was misreading it...

That's the Garlic Festival, Walmart, and now Dayton shooting in the last week. 2 in less than 24 hours.

31 dead, 81 injured between the 3 shootings IIRC. No info on the third shooter but the first two are confirmed gen z white nationalists. This is the result of the school shooter generation hitting adulthood?

America is ****.

It is an issue societally that nobody wants to talk about. It's sad and fortunately for me I have been camping all weekend disconnected from it all.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.
The High Cyde
Starter
And1: 4,138

Post#4502 » by The High Cyde » Mon Aug 5, 2019 5:22 pm

Ya'll thought I was kidding about this world being completely ****ed.

Sandy Hook sealed the deal for me. We're not going to do **** about guns if we didn't do anything about Sandy Hook. Full stop. Don't kid yourselves into thinking this will be any different. If 23 dead kids didn't convince these **** to do something, nothing is going to.

My girlfriend's dad and his friend were at the Gilroy Garlic Festival, they go damn near every year. They were about 200 yards away from where it happened, and thankfully they're safe...but this is getting too close...I was planning to take my entire family to the LA Fair when it opens later this month...but I'm scared now man. There's just no reasoning to chaos and madness. It'll drive you mad yourself.

I might have to buy my little nieces and nephews **** bullet proof backpacks and ask their parents to talk to them about how to respond to a school shooting...

What a joke of a country, seriously.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 9,244

Post#4503 » by Dr Spaceman » Mon Aug 5, 2019 7:00 pm

I saw Midsommar last night. I’m still thinking about it. I am legitimately disturbed and I don’t think this combination of emotions has been elicited by a movie for me, ever. “Enjoy” is a difficult word to use here, but I was riveted and will absolutely see it again this weekend. It is legitimately a masterpiece.

EDIT: I almost feel the need to put a warning in here though. This movie might honestly be too upsetting for a lot of people to get through. It’s not run of the mill horror stuff. Only go in if you feel okay with being legitimately **** up.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 18,543
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#4504 » by E-Balla » Mon Aug 5, 2019 7:58 pm

The High Cyde wrote:Ya'll thought I was kidding about this world being completely ****ed.

Sandy Hook sealed the deal for me. We're not going to do **** about guns if we didn't do anything about Sandy Hook. Full stop. Don't kid yourselves into thinking this will be any different. If 23 dead kids didn't convince these **** to do something, nothing is going to.

My girlfriend's dad and his friend were at the Gilroy Garlic Festival, they go damn near every year. They were about 200 yards away from where it happened, and thankfully they're safe...but this is getting too close...I was planning to take my entire family to the LA Fair when it opens later this month...but I'm scared now man. There's just no reasoning to chaos and madness. It'll drive you mad yourself.

I might have to buy my little nieces and nephews **** bullet proof backpacks and ask their parents to talk to them about how to respond to a school shooting...

Even at this point it's like every shooter it's the same story. The Dayton shooter got caught keeping a rape and kill list of other students in 2012 (he was 17/18). No legal action or expulsion was pursued. I got kicked out of school for getting into a fight (no injuries at all to anyone involved) when I was 11 under the threat of being charged with assault and battery.

If I didn't change schools I wouldn't be legally allowed to own a gun right now, but he still is allowed to because instead of stopping him before he escalated the system stop supported, and protected him.
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." - Martin Luther King
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#4505 » by Colbinii » Mon Aug 5, 2019 10:00 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:I saw Midsommar last night. I’m still thinking about it. I am legitimately disturbed and I don’t think this combination of emotions has been elicited by a movie for me, ever. “Enjoy” is a difficult word to use here, but I was riveted and will absolutely see it again this weekend. It is legitimately a masterpiece.

EDIT: I almost feel the need to put a warning in here though. This movie might honestly be too upsetting for a lot of people to get through. It’s not run of the mill horror stuff. Only go in if you feel okay with being legitimately **** up.

I know it isn't similar to Mother but is it **** up like that?

Zeitgeister
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,144

Post#4506 » by Zeitgeister » Mon Aug 5, 2019 10:59 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:I saw Midsommar last night. I’m still thinking about it. I am legitimately disturbed and I don’t think this combination of emotions has been elicited by a movie for me, ever. “Enjoy” is a difficult word to use here, but I was riveted and will absolutely see it again this weekend. It is legitimately a masterpiece.

I need to see this still, might just wait until its on streaming/DVD. Have you seen Hereditary? I'm sure for people who have seen that, they will know what they are getting into as its the same director. Ari Aster and Robert Eggers seem to be the two most creative minds in horror right now. I'm not much of a horror fan but Hereditary and the Witch are both great movies and I'm interested in anything these two are making.

Eggers's new movie the Lighthouse looks brilliant:

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#4507 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Aug 6, 2019 2:45 am

MisterHibachi wrote:There are probably already too many guns for simple gun control to solve the problem. The state would have not just prevent the purchase of new guns but also aggressively reduce the supply already in the market.

It's also not a good sign that one of the most failed examples of strict gun control laws is Mexico (basically everything you would fear, all the laws did it ensure the criminals have all the guns and the legal citizens don't) is mainly because they border America. America has so many military and police weapons in it that they would likely leak to their own black market just as easily, in addition to all the people who currently have guns.

I have always questioned the logic that a firearm law is supposed to reduce the number of homicides in the US when most criminals are a) Using illegal guns already to not get caught b) Committing a 1000x times more serious crime in murder, therefore rendering the crime of illegally owning a gun to do it as irrelevant as crime of burning a body is to someone who just committed murder. I understand the logic that some school shooters wouldn't get their hands on their parents gun as easily if they were illegal, but gun laws can't be built around the tiny % of homicides that are school shootings, and it's not like even if you banned guns you would get rid of all school shootings - Kids might get their hands on their parents illegally owned gun, they might make a bomb or something, or they wait until they graduate high school and can go buy their own gun from the black market and just do a mass shooting like the ones this week, plus some school shootings are prevented not caused by guns. Overall I understand the wish for guns like assault rifles to be harder to get especially for mentally ill people, but I think it is likely American males have a higher probability of becoming someone who wants to commit mass murder than males in other countries. Maybe some combination of celebrity culture, violence worship, virgin shaming, poor family units, or a greater strand of crazy in American genetics. Idk.
1. Using a team's play in games their star is injured should send you to SSS jail
2. ORTG/DRTG ranks are connected in back and forth play and energy expenditure
3. RAPM/RPM is proven measuring regular season value, but not postseason
Dr Spaceman
General Manager

Post#4508 » by Dr Spaceman » Tue Aug 6, 2019 5:12 am

Colbinii wrote:

I know it isn't similar to Mother but is it **** up like that?

Haven’t seen Mother yet so I don’t have a good answer but there is nothing supernatural in Midsommar. It is straight up realistic horrifying scenarios playing out in broad daylight. Idk if that helps. But the fact the movie is so down to earth makes it so much more affecting.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager

Post#4509 » by Dr Spaceman » Tue Aug 6, 2019 5:18 am

Zeitgeister wrote:

I need to see this still, might just wait until its on streaming/DVD. Have you seen Hereditary? I'm sure for people who have seen that, they will know what they are getting into as its the same director. Ari Aster and Robert Eggers seem to be the two most creative minds in horror right now. I'm not much of a horror fan but Hereditary and the Witch are both great movies and I'm interested in anything these two are making.

Eggers's new movie the Lighthouse looks brilliant:

I have seen Hereditary. I didn’t love it as much as the consensus, thought it was very solidly executed but it didn’t really impact me. Midsommar was the opposite. I think I had the reaction to Midsommar that lots of people did with Hereditary. They’re very different movies. Midsommar is a much slower burn and much less plot-focused. If you liked Hereditary you’ll ,Ike this one, just don’t expect the same thing because you’ll be disappointed.

If you’re in the US it’s probably going to be difficult to find screenings of Midsommar at this point. I do recommend seeing it in theaters though. The jarring contrast of sitting in pitch blackness with the use of extreme brightness and primary colors in the movie really addd to the effect IMO.

Ari Aster unfortunately has said he’s gonna be leaving the horror genre for a while. I’m on board for whatever he decides to do of course but it’s a shame to lose such a talent. I’ve always been into thrillers though so I appreciate the genre revival.
The High Cyde
Starter
And1: 4,138

Post#4510 » by The High Cyde » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:08 pm

E-Balla wrote:
The High Cyde wrote:Ya'll thought I was kidding about this world being completely ****ed.

Even at this point it's like every shooter it's the same story. The Dayton shooter got caught keeping a rape and kill list of other students in 2012 (he was 17/18). No legal action or expulsion was pursued. I got kicked out of school for getting into a fight (no injuries at all to anyone involved) when I was 11 under the threat of being charged with assault and battery.

If I didn't change schools I wouldn't be legally allowed to own a gun right now, but he still is allowed to because instead of stopping him before he escalated the system stop supported, and protected him.

That's rough, close call there.

You know, I read your sig sometimes, and it's an absolutely great quote. And I can't help but think it's speaking to me, because I am remaining silent on many, many things; I feel defeated against it. MLK is probably rolling over in his grave seeing what's happening in this country.

The system, whatever it is, is failing it's citizens. I can't fathom how to fix it, but I think it's the "American psyche", it's very much ingrained in the thoughts and minds of the people of this country, or at least some majority of it.

This country for whatever reason, thinks it's the greatest country that there ever was, currently is, and will continue to be for hundreds of years...it's completely counter productive and that's bled into the citizens. This country is done. Probably peaked during the 80s and 90s and it's gonna be downhill from here.

I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday and of course the shootings came up, and we pretty much agreed that America just isn't a safe country anymore. Not that it ever was.

You shouldn't be afraid of getting shot in a movie theater.
Or getting ran over at the beach.
Or getting shot while you're dancing at a concert.
Or out shopping at the mall with your mom and sister.
Or going to your local garlic festival with your friends.

You shouldn't have to be scared you'll never see you kid again when you drop them off at school.

Like, this is what people don't understand. This is what I'm deeply afraid of, that the kid I helped bring into this world and then who became my world... will get shot and die and the shooter kills himself and then wtf am I supposed to do?

Let's just imagine that for a minute. It's hard to even comprehend.

We're all just different manifestations of life, like how waves are just temporary manifestations of the ocean, each wave, each person has a right to life, a right for their time on the shore, each one is fragile and unique and only here a short amount of time. It should be respected, and most of all treasured.
PockyCandy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 15,883

Post#4511 » by PockyCandy » Wed Aug 7, 2019 2:02 am

Rich Paul is pretty much the American dream personified, right? He comes from nothing, but knew someone successful. He took that connection, worked hard, and made a lucrative career because of the opportunity he got from knowing someone. I mean, there's a million people who know famous athletes, but only Rich Paul has turned that into a way to make him an influential agent. I almost feel like he should be admired.

My Youtube Channel. The #1 place to watch highlights of classic running-backs AND forgotten NBA legends:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRCZ96IaHDaW8xr5TZq3GUQ
PockyCandy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4512 » by PockyCandy » Wed Aug 7, 2019 7:12 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

The jokes write themselves.

Read on Twitter

My Youtube Channel. The #1 place to watch highlights of classic running-backs AND forgotten NBA legends:

Colbinii
RealGM

Post#4513 » by Colbinii » Wed Aug 7, 2019 8:54 pm

I didnt realize Ben Shapiro knew anything about Sports. I always took him for a racist and I can never forget his embarrassing interview on the BBC.

E-Balla
RealGM

Post#4514 » by E-Balla » Thu Aug 8, 2019 2:18 pm

Colbinii wrote:I didnt realize Ben Shapiro knew anything about Sports. I always took him for a racist and I can never forget his embarrassing interview on the BBC.

"Took him for" is a nice way to put it I guess lol. The man said Muslims like bombing people and swimming in sewage instead of building settlements and called for the genocide of Palestinians before (IIRC he took it back claiming he was young, but age is no excuse for that) I think he's as textbook as it gets.
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." - Martin Luther King
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#4515 » by Colbinii » Thu Aug 8, 2019 3:49 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Colbinii wrote:I didnt realize Ben Shapiro knew anything about Sports. I always took him for a racist and I can never forget his embarrassing interview on the BBC.

"Took him for" is a nice way to put it I guess lol. The man said Muslims like bombing people and swimming in sewage instead of building settlements and called for the genocide of Palestinians before (IIRC he took it back claiming he was young, but age is no excuse for that) I think he's as textbook as it gets.

Don't get me started on Israel...

E-Balla
RealGM

Post#4516 » by E-Balla » Thu Aug 8, 2019 4:09 pm

Colbinii wrote:
E-Balla wrote:

Don't get me started on Israel...

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,077

Post#4517 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Aug 9, 2019 7:13 pm

PockyCandy wrote:Rich Paul is pretty much the American dream personified, right? He comes from nothing, but knew someone successful. He took that connection, worked hard, and made a lucrative career because of the opportunity he got from knowing someone. I mean, there's a million people who know famous athletes, but only Rich Paul has turned that into a way to make him an influential agent. I almost feel like he should be admired.

I think it's always worth breaking down the characteristics of people and how they contribute to their successes and failures, and when you do that you can also say "I admire X about Rich Paul" without implying you endorse his entirety.

Of course, when you get into the nitty gritty mind machinery, the good and the bad tend to be hard to meaningfully separate.
In another world...
Your Longshoremen of Long Beach...

And now introducing...
The Song of Westeros...
LeBron James
John Stockton
Bobby Jones
Rudy Gobert
Khris Middleton
Connie Hawkins
Otto Porter
Ryan Anderson
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 3,637

Post#4518 » by penbeast0 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:39 pm

PockyCandy wrote:My time covering a soccer team has proven to me that, regardless the sport, coaches value defense far more than offense. Are you a talented midfielder who can score goals with the best of them, but is a sieve on defense and aimlessly floats around when the other team has possession? To the bench you go!

I don't think that's true per se. Coaches value players who LISTEN. That tends to be more defensive at times because it tends to be more structured while offense is more improvisational but it also takes into account passing, taking high percentage shots, etc. You just get so tired of telling the same people the same things over and over and over.
[quote="Nivek"] This post could come only from a Wizards fan. It somehow combines delusional optimism with soul-crushing pessimism.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,077

Post#4519 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:45 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
PockyCandy wrote:My time covering a soccer team has proven to me that, regardless the sport, coaches value defense far more than offense. Are you a talented midfielder who can score goals with the best of them, but is a sieve on defense and aimlessly floats around when the other team has possession? To the bench you go!

I don't think that's true per se. Coaches value players who LISTEN. That tends to be more defensive at times because it tends to be more structured while offense is more improvisational but it also takes into account passing, taking high percentage shots, etc. You just get so tired of telling the same people the same things over and over and over.

This, plus the fact that every guy you have on the team who doesn't show buy-in to what a coach is doing does damage to the coach's credibility.

More and more I've come to appreciate David Robinson & Tim Duncan for giving Pop the credibility he needed to create that awesome Spurs' culture. They could have been jerks and would have been too talented for Pop to speak against, but because they did what they were asked, everyone else had to buy in.
In another world...
Your Longshoremen of Long Beach...

And now introducing...
The Song of Westeros...
LeBron James
John Stockton
Bobby Jones
Rudy Gobert
Khris Middleton
Connie Hawkins
Otto Porter
Ryan Anderson
PockyCandy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4520 » by PockyCandy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:40 pm

E-Balla wrote:...

With the NFL season nearly upon us, what are your predictions for the Eagles season? Do you see Carson Wentz as having a MVP-caliber season?

and I have an sig bet in mind, if you're interested.

Return to Player Comparisons