PC Board OT Thread Take 3

Moderators: Quotatious, Clyde Frazier, trex_8063, penbeast0, Doctor MJ, PaulieWal

ardee
RealGM
And1: 3,862

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 3 

Post#4541 » by ardee » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:30 am

PockyCandy wrote:Andrew Luck is retiring from the NFL.

Not a football fan in the least but this is insane isn't it? There is probably no comparison one can draw to the NBA for this situation is there?

I guess it just goes to show how much worse the physical beating NFL players take is than NBA players.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 18,723
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#4542 » by E-Balla » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:35 am

ardee wrote:

Not a football fan in the least but this is insane isn't it? There is probably no comparison one can draw to the NBA for this situation is there?

I guess it just goes to show how much worse the physical beating NFL players take is than NBA players.

It's like if AD retired during the preseason. I'm mad the fans booed him off though. He gave his body to that franchise and they mismanaged him and his injuries so bad I don't think he can physically keep up anymore and he's even said mentally he's spent.
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." - Martin Luther King
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#4543 » by E-Balla » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:36 am

The whole 2012 top 4 is tragic. Blackmon, Richardson, Luck, and RG3.
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." - Martin Luther King
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 11,101

Post#4544 » by HeartBreakKid » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:25 pm

E-Balla wrote:The whole 2012 top 4 is tragic. Blackmon, Richardson, Luck, and RG3.

What's tragic about Richardson? Didn't he just suck?
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#4545 » by E-Balla » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:28 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
E-Balla wrote:The whole 2012 top 4 is tragic. Blackmon, Richardson, Luck, and RG3.

Whenever you're one of the biggest draft busts ever that's a tragedy to me. So much talent and no vision.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 6,539

Post#4546 » by Colbinii » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:52 am

E-Balla wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:

Whenever you're one of the biggest draft busts ever that's a tragedy to me. So much talent and no vision.

The issue with Richardson being a bust falls completely on the shoulders of this "old school" mentallity in football where management overrated and overpaid running backs.

I always thought Blackmon was overrared as a prospect though it goes to show you how bad alcoholism is.

I wish Kahlil would have been better. Drafting an offensive lineman that high and having him be average to bad is awful considering the success rate of offensive lineman. Vikings did the same thing with McKinnie.

Did you like Phillys 2012 draft?
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#4547 » by E-Balla » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:12 am

Colbinii wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:What's tragic about Richardson? Didn't he just suck?

The issue with Richardson being a bust falls completely on the shoulders of this "old school" mentallity in football where management overrated and overpaid running backs.

I always thought Blackmon was overrared as a prospect though it goes to show you how bad alcoholism is.

I wish Kahlil would have been better. Drafting an offensive lineman that high and having him be average to bad is awful considering the success rate of offensive lineman. Vikings did the same thing with McKinnie.

Did you like Phillys 2012 draft?

We got 4 starters from our SB team including the best player on the team (Cox) and the SB MVP (Foles). One of the best drafts in team history.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#4548 » by HeartBreakKid » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:47 pm

PockyCandy wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
E-Balla wrote:I don't really have predictions because Philly has been the most injury riddled team for 2 years in a row. Beyond that I think Philly is clearly the most talented team in football and if they can stay relatively healthy we should coast to a ring. Seriously when I look unit to unit we have an elite QB, below average but decent RBs, the best offensive line, the best WR/TE group, the best defensive line, a top 10 LB group, and a bottom 10 DB group. Really that's one weakness and it's one we had when we won it all, meanwhile our strengths are better and our offense should be on another level.

I think Wentz was close enough to MVP-caliber last year when he played even with a fractured back so there's no doubt in my mind he'll be MVP caliber if healthy.

I'm down for a sig bet any time too, no way the baby GOAT let's me down if Desean is healthy.

I think the Vikings have the best WR/Te's but our O-line is trash.

Honestly, when is the last time we had a good offensive line? 2012? 2009?

What's the story behind your sports teams by the way? Vikings/Lakers/Arsenal - I reckon based on your previous post you're a southerner, so how did you end up with these clubs?
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#4549 » by E-Balla » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:48 pm

I just saw this earlier. For you Pocky:

PockyCandy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,018

Post#4550 » by PockyCandy » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:58 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
What's the story behind your sports teams by the way? Vikings/Lakers/Arsenal - I reckon based on your previous post you're a southerner, so how did you end up with these clubs?

My father is a Lakers/Vikings fan, so I just inherited those teams from him. Of course, I also started watching sports seriously in 2009, and both of those teams were good back then. the Lakers were on their way to the 2010 Finals, and the Vikings had their best season since 1998. It was easy to root for those teams at that time. I thought the Lakers were going to win the title every year, and the Viking were going to win the Super Bowl the next season :lol:

As for Arsenal: I just started watching soccer (I cover a soccer team), and my friends told me the EPL was the best league in the world. A few of them are Arsenal fans, and their logo is a f***ing cannon, so why not root for Arsenal?

My Youtube Channel. The #1 place to watch highlights of classic running-backs AND forgotten NBA legends:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRCZ96IaHDaW8xr5TZq3GUQ
PockyCandy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4551 » by PockyCandy » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:31 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:...

And now I've decided to rep my school ahead of their game against the Vols. The Mocs might actually get the W in Neyland.

I thought Florida State had a bad day, but Tennessee's loss takes the cake :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you can't tell, I'm really enjoying today.

My Youtube Channel. The #1 place to watch highlights of classic running-backs AND forgotten NBA legends:

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,148

Post#4552 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Sep 1, 2019 7:14 pm

ardee wrote:

It's hard to keep a bloodsport firing on all cylinders when your gladiators get rich and get at least some education about what their future holds if they keep playing. The NFL is in a rough place between this and the political hard place they got in with the president turning the fanbase against the athletes over the kneeling protest (something only possible with a conservative-dominant fanbase, which the NBA doesn't have).

I also think the NFL is going to get hit hard when the Brady-Rodgers generation actually calls it quits. The NFL has not been able to manufacture new stars in recent years so unless we get some super-dramatic breakthroughs soon, the league will also likely deteriorate here as well.

It's a good time to be the NBA. Funny now thinking back to the NBA 15 years ago when everything was a broken shell of its former self and the league seemed to be in a downward spiral and rookie LeBron truly felt like the potential savior ("Witness") we didn't really think could recapture the magic of Jordan. (And of course, he didn't, but he's been a driving force of new things we didn't predict.)

I feel like the big question going forward for the NBA is how it can monetize social media when television inevitably offers new contracts that reflect the fact that people aren't plopping down and watching games like they used to, and thus television ads likely aren't worth what they used to be worth for advertisers.
In another world...
Your Longshoremen of Long Beach...

And now introducing...
The Song of Westeros...
LeBron James
John Stockton
Bobby Jones
Rudy Gobert
Khris Middleton
Connie Hawkins
Otto Porter
Ryan Anderson
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#4553 » by E-Balla » Mon Sep 2, 2019 1:05 am

PockyCandy wrote:

And now I've decided to rep my school ahead of their game against the Vols. The Mocs might actually get the W in Neyland.

I thought Florida State had a bad day, but Tennessee's loss takes the cake :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You wanna know a real good day? Imagine going to State. Imagine also being an LSU fan. I got to see LSU trash the fake GSU, and to see the real GSU beat Tennessee.
PockyCandy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4554 » by PockyCandy » Mon Sep 2, 2019 12:52 pm

E-Balla wrote:
PockyCandy wrote:

You wanna know a real good day? Imagine going to State. Imagine also being an LSU fan. I got to see LSU trash the fake GSU, and to see the real GSU beat Tennessee.

You must be on cloud nine right now. btw, I picked Desean Jackson in fantasy football last night. I'm expecting at least a couple 4ctch-120yds-2tds games out of the "GOAT deep threat" this season.

Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 9,548

Post#4555 » by Dr Spaceman » Mon Sep 2, 2019 4:38 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
ardee wrote:

It's hard to keep a bloodsport firing on all cylinders when your gladiators get rich and get at least some education about what their future holds if they keep playing. The NFL is in a rough place between this and the political hard place they got in with the president turning the fanbase against the athletes over the kneeling protest (something only possible with a conservative-dominant fanbase, which the NBA doesn't have).

I also think the NFL is going to get hit hard when the Brady-Rodgers generation actually calls it quits. The NFL has not been able to manufacture new stars in recent years so unless we get some super-dramatic breakthroughs soon, the league will also likely deteriorate here as well.

It's a good time to be the NBA. Funny now thinking back to the NBA 15 years ago when everything was a broken shell of its former self and the league seemed to be in a downward spiral and rookie LeBron truly felt like the potential savior ("Witness") we didn't really think could recapture the magic of Jordan. (And of course, he didn't, but he's been a driving force of new things we didn't predict.)

I feel like the big question going forward for the NBA is how it can monetize social media when television inevitably offers new contracts that reflect the fact that people aren't plopping down and watching games like they used to, and thus television ads likely aren't worth what they used to be worth for advertisers.

Basketball is a sleeping giant. I’d actually say on its current trajectory it’s poised to become the 2nd most popular sport in the world, and it’s popularity abroad may even eclipse its popularity domestically at some point. It’s growth internationally is going to be unprecedented in the coming years.

The hysteria around Giannis in Greece right now is alarming. Many people who had barely even heard of the sport are turning in to watch all of his games. He’s like Ronaldo for the Portuguese. I’ve met quite a lot of Europeans who do the same crazy things I do like waking up at 2 AM to watch playoff games. In countries like Serbia and the other former Yugoslav republics basketball is a way of life. I never in my wildest dreams thought I could strike up a casual conversation about Nemanja Bjelica, let alone in Europe, and yet here we are.

And we’re only beginning to scratch the surface of potential basketball talent in Africa. The next generation of kids from these countries could make up a significant percentage of the league. When NBA scouts start getting serious about searching for talent in Africa this thing is going to explode.

I wouldn’t be shocked if at some point 50% of NBA players are foreign-born. I don’t know what this means domestically but I do know that internationally this is not a fad. The NBA is sitting on a literal goldmine the level of which we probably haven’t ever seen in sports before.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#4556 » by Doctor MJ » Mon Sep 2, 2019 8:48 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
ardee wrote:

Basketball is a sleeping giant. I’d actually say on its current trajectory it’s poised to become the 2nd most popular sport in the world, and it’s popularity abroad may even eclipse its popularity domestically at some point. It’s growth internationally is going to be unprecedented in the coming years.

The hysteria around Giannis in Greece right now is alarming. Many people who had barely even heard of the sport are turning in to watch all of his games. He’s like Ronaldo for the Portuguese. I’ve met quite a lot of Europeans who do the same crazy things I do like waking up at 2 AM to watch playoff games. In countries like Serbia and the other former Yugoslav republics basketball is a way of life. I never in my wildest dreams thought I could strike up a casual conversation about Nemanja Bjelica, let alone in Europe, and yet here we are.

And we’re only beginning to scratch the surface of potential basketball talent in Africa. The next generation of kids from these countries could make up a significant percentage of the league. When NBA scouts start getting serious about searching for talent in Africa this thing is going to explode.

I wouldn’t be shocked if at some point 50% of NBA players are foreign-born. I don’t know what this means domestically but I do know that internationally this is not a fad. The NBA is sitting on a literal goldmine the level of which we probably haven’t ever seen in sports before.

Cool to hear about your experiences. Definitely encouraging.

I actually too quite hope for a vastly more international NBA than even now because that would probably mean more and more worldwide popularity along with better and better opportunity grooming.
In another world...

And now introducing...
The Song of Westeros...
LeBron James
John Stockton
Bobby Jones
Rudy Gobert
Khris Middleton
Connie Hawkins
Otto Porter
Ryan Anderson
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#4557 » by E-Balla » Mon Sep 2, 2019 9:47 pm

PockyCandy wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
PockyCandy wrote:

You must be on cloud nine right now. btw, I picked Desean Jackson in fantasy football last night. I'm expecting at least a couple 4ctch-120yds-2tds games out of the "GOAT deep threat" this season.

Better hope you get lucky then. :lol:

It's always hard to tell when he's going to go off because it's usually big plays not big games. I'd bet on him getting tons of yards early before defenses start selling out for him.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 9,548

Post#4558 » by Dr Spaceman » Tue Sep 3, 2019 6:03 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

Cool to hear about your experiences. Definitely encouraging.

I actually too quite hope for a vastly more international NBA than even now because that would probably mean more and more worldwide popularity along with better and better opportunity grooming.

It’s not a coincidence that this year’s MVP was from Greece, ROY was from Slovenia, DPOY was from France, and MIP was from Cameroon. That is 4 of the 5 major awards going to international players. It’s a sign of things to come.

The infrastructure is already set up for basketball to dominate globally. It has the second most professional leagues in the world after Futbol and international tournaments like FIBA, Olympics and Eurobasket. It’s the third most watched sport in the world and NBA teams are funding youth leagues and summer camps all over Africa and sending players there as well. The coming generation of Europeans will grow up with basketball being a mainstream sport which wasn’t true even ten years ago.

Even in Canada basketball is blowing up. There was a great Lowe Post podcast where two Toronto guys talked about how basketball fans were the “weird kids” when they were growing up, and now millions of people are behind the Raptors.

Basketball is having a moment right now.

It’s a weird position where basketball could be in 3rd place domestically but 2nd place or 1b globally. But if I were running the NBA I’d be investing heavily in international growth especially in emerging markets. That’s how the EPL is such a success even with only 30% native-born payers. I’d be worried less about domestic cable deals and far more about building out a streaming service to get more and more eyeballs on the sport. I think the rest will follow from that.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#4559 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue Sep 3, 2019 9:50 pm

The NBA is already self aware that basketball is the 2nd most popular sport or soon will be. NBA has planned to outscale NFL by going global, something the NFL can't do. It's not news to them, and they're not sacrificing their domestic market for their international market at all. They have greatly profited from the absurd contracts they got domestically, it was easily worth it for them.

By the way I was walking by down town Taipei last weekand saw Terry Rozier and Danny Green giving kids basketball lessons randomly lol.

The NFL needs to get teams into the UK and Canada already, they're dumb as hell for not doing so by now. There are only so many places their product can reach.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#4560 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Sep 4, 2019 4:32 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:The NBA is already self aware that basketball is the 2nd most popular sport or soon will be. NBA has planned to outscale NFL by going global, something the NFL can't do. It's not news to them, and they're not sacrificing their domestic market for their international market at all. They have greatly profited from the absurd contracts they got domestically, it was easily worth it for them.

By the way I was walking by down town Taipei last weekand saw Terry Rozier and Danny Green giving kids basketball lessons randomly lol.

The NFL needs to get teams into the UK and Canada already, they're dumb as hell for not doing so by now. There are only so many places their product can reach.

Good points though I'm skeptical there's much more the NFL could have done. I mean, they built a European league after all, and nursed it well into the 2000s. I think probably there was just a limit to how much American Football could penetrate a market where another sport named "football" was already the dominant sport. And even if there wasn't, I think it's hard to go from zero to professional grade like that.
In another world...

And now introducing...
The Song of Westeros...
LeBron James
John Stockton
Bobby Jones
Rudy Gobert
Khris Middleton
Connie Hawkins
Otto Porter
Ryan Anderson