PC Board OT Thread Take 3

Moderators: Quotatious, Clyde Frazier, trex_8063, penbeast0, Doctor MJ, PaulieWal

Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 9,548

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 3 

Post#4561 » by Dr Spaceman » Wed Sep 4, 2019 5:47 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:The NBA is already self aware that basketball is the 2nd most popular sport or soon will be. NBA has planned to outscale NFL by going global, something the NFL can't do. It's not news to them, and they're not sacrificing their domestic market for their international market at all. They have greatly profited from the absurd contracts they got domestically, it was easily worth it for them.

By the way I was walking by down town Taipei last weekand saw Terry Rozier and Danny Green giving kids basketball lessons randomly lol.

The NFL needs to get teams into the UK and Canada already, they're dumb as hell for not doing so by now. There are only so many places their product can reach.

Good points though I'm skeptical there's much more the NFL could have done. I mean, they built a European league after all, and nursed it well into the 2000s. I think probably there was just a limit to how much American Football could penetrate a market where another sport named "football" was already the dominant sport. And even if there wasn't, I think it's hard to go from zero to professional grade like that.

Well most former British colonies have some version of the game, be it Rugby or Aussie Rules or Gaelic football. These games are never popular outside the country of origin, probably because the rules are hellishly complicated and if you didn’t grow up playing and learning them there’s no reason to invest the time as an adult. This also limits potential growth in places like Australia (which has been huge in basketball’s emergence) and Britain itself.

Basketball on the other hand has a fairly simple and intuitive rule set. All you really need to know is that you can’t move with the ball without dribbling and you can’t hit an opposing player hard enough that it stops his movement and you can’t go out of bounds. Basketball also offers free movement like European football and very unlike American football.

Basketball also doesn’t really have any analogue whereas American Football was an evolutionary branch of a family of already established sports. There was nothing like basketball being played anywhere else in the world.

And basketball’s growth is mostly organic. The leagues in Europe and Australia and China and the Middle East spring up not because the NBA tried to force it but just because people wanted to play and watch it.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
Dr Spaceman
General Manager

Post#4562 » by Dr Spaceman » Wed Sep 4, 2019 6:05 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:The NBA is already self aware that basketball is the 2nd most popular sport or soon will be. NBA has planned to outscale NFL by going global, something the NFL can't do. It's not news to them, and they're not sacrificing their domestic market for their international market at all. They have greatly profited from the absurd contracts they got domestically, it was easily worth it for them.

By the way I was walking by down town Taipei last weekand saw Terry Rozier and Danny Green giving kids basketball lessons randomly lol.

The NFL needs to get teams into the UK and Canada already, they're dumb as hell for not doing so by now. There are only so many places their product can reach.

I think it is a fair question whether the domestic market for basketball will be as strong if American players are a minority. It works for EPL in part because English football has a lot of tribalism in their cities and clubs the way American Football does. It’s not the same as basketball which relies on marketing celebrity-athletes whose faces are everywhere and who hop between teams every few years. I know plenty of fans who change team allegiances with their favorite players.

The path forward for the NBA is to just become the global showcase for the absolute best basketball talent worldwide. This does come with a downside though in a sport where players are first and foremost and we feel like we have a personal relationship them which is art of the league’s appeal. I’m not saying I know the answer, but to worth asking if the athlete-celebrity model is compatible with a mostly international game.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 11,100

Post#4563 » by HeartBreakKid » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:14 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:

I think it is a fair question whether the domestic market for basketball will be as strong if American players are a minority. It works for EPL in part because English football has a lot of tribalism in their cities and clubs the way American Football does. It’s not the same as basketball which relies on marketing celebrity-athletes whose faces are everywhere and who hop between teams every few years. I know plenty of fans who change team allegiances with their favorite players.

The path forward for the NBA is to just become the global showcase for the absolute best basketball talent worldwide. This does come with a downside though in a sport where players are first and foremost and we feel like we have a personal relationship them which is art of the league’s appeal. I’m not saying I know the answer, but to worth asking if the athlete-celebrity model is compatible with a mostly international game.

It seems like being star first is even more compatible. People identify with players not clubs makes it easier for international fans to follow in my opinion. It also makes it easier to market them on social media which is what is the most important part of marketing now, and the gap between that and more traditional forms of marketing will grow.

American basketball will not be any less popular than it is today at the very least in USA. It might reach a ceiling soon at worst, but probably not - I think if anything the virtue of Baseball possibly being too slow and the league too traditional and health concerns around Football will leave a bit of a vacuum for basketball (and hockey, soccer) to continue to grow in USA.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#4564 » by HeartBreakKid » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:17 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:

Good points though I'm skeptical there's much more the NFL could have done. I mean, they built a European league after all, and nursed it well into the 2000s. I think probably there was just a limit to how much American Football could penetrate a market where another sport named "football" was already the dominant sport. And even if there wasn't, I think it's hard to go from zero to professional grade like that.

I'm not sure if there is anything they can do either, but the European league was too expansive. They really did just go into a bunch of places that have no idea what American Football was and expected people to show - it was a waste of money.

They should at the very least have set up a team in the UK first, and from the data they collect there MAYBE launching a Euro league might have been a good calculated risk.

Anyway, as they are now, they've done a mega slow burn on London and it seems like enough people go to at least start up a homebase there. I'm excited personally for the Jaguars to spend time to make London their offical city (I've read that they plan to essentially make Jacksonville their base when they are on a stretch of home games, which I think is a good compromise).
Dr Spaceman
General Manager

Post#4565 » by Dr Spaceman » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:52 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

It seems like being star first is even more compatible. People identify with players not clubs makes it easier for international fans to follow in my opinion. It also makes it easier to market them on social media which is what is the most important part of marketing now, and the gap between that and more traditional forms of marketing will grow.

American basketball will not be any less popular than it is today at the very least in USA. It might reach a ceiling soon at worst, but probably not - I think if anything the virtue of Baseball possibly being too slow and the league too traditional and health concerns around Football will leave a bit of a vacuum for basketball (and hockey, soccer) to continue to grow in USA.

I’m talking about strictly US fans though. I don’t know if US fans will be as invested in these players if most of them aren’t from the US.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 18,722
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#4566 » by E-Balla » Wed Sep 4, 2019 4:11 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

I’m talking about strictly US fans though. I don’t know if US fans will be as invested in these players if most of them aren’t from the US.

People in the NFL don't follow teams for players. I don't think anyone would care.
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." - Martin Luther King
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,148

Post#4567 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Sep 4, 2019 6:39 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

Well most former British colonies have some version of the game, be it Rugby or Aussie Rules or Gaelic football. These games are never popular outside the country of origin, probably because the rules are hellishly complicated and if you didn’t grow up playing and learning them there’s no reason to invest the time as an adult. This also limits potential growth in places like Australia (which has been huge in basketball’s emergence) and Britain itself.

Basketball on the other hand has a fairly simple and intuitive rule set. All you really need to know is that you can’t move with the ball without dribbling and you can’t hit an opposing player hard enough that it stops his movement and you can’t go out of bounds. Basketball also offers free movement like European football and very unlike American football.

Basketball also doesn’t really have any analogue whereas American Football was an evolutionary branch of a family of already established sports. There was nothing like basketball being played anywhere else in the world.

And basketball’s growth is mostly organic. The leagues in Europe and Australia and China and the Middle East spring up not because the NBA tried to force it but just because people wanted to play and watch it.

I agree with all this and I'll add:

Basketball grew rapidly because it could be cheaply built into cities. Put up some hoops on asphalt, the only equipment you need is a ball. It's basically the urban equivalent of soccer in terms of ease of play.

And yeah, it's amazing how hard it is to get started playing real American football compared association football (soccer) or basketball, and this was always something that to me sealed its fate as a regional thing.

I'm with you, I think basketball will continue to grow and become the other main sport on the planet along with soccer for reasons tied to this.
In another world...
Your Longshoremen of Long Beach...

And now introducing...
The Song of Westeros...
LeBron James
John Stockton
Bobby Jones
Rudy Gobert
Khris Middleton
Connie Hawkins
Otto Porter
Ryan Anderson
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#4568 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Sep 4, 2019 6:45 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

I'm not sure if there is anything they can do either, but the European league was too expansive. They really did just go into a bunch of places that have no idea what American Football was and expected people to show - it was a waste of money.

They should at the very least have set up a team in the UK first, and from the data they collect there MAYBE launching a Euro league might have been a good calculated risk.

Anyway, as they are now, they've done a mega slow burn on London and it seems like enough people go to at least start up a homebase there. I'm excited personally for the Jaguars to spend time to make London their offical city (I've read that they plan to essentially make Jacksonville their base when they are on a stretch of home games, which I think is a good compromise).

Well I get that argument, and given their actual approach failed it's worth revisiting...but there are major logistic issues to having to travel across the Atlantic as a matter of course. I mean, when is the game? If Americans don't watch it you're bleeding money, and if its inconvenient for the UK then they aren't going to get into it. Speaking as a tennis fan who has been known to wake up in the middle of the night for a grand slam final in another time zone, I've always seen it as basically impossible for tennis to compete in the US with sports that are played entirely in the US. For tennis that's a problem but still okay to a degree because of established appeal worldwide, but only Americans really care about American football, so it feels like a bigger issue.
In another world...

And now introducing...
The Song of Westeros...
LeBron James
John Stockton
Bobby Jones
Rudy Gobert
Khris Middleton
Connie Hawkins
Otto Porter
Ryan Anderson
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#4569 » by E-Balla » Wed Sep 4, 2019 7:41 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

Basketball grew rapidly because it could be cheaply built into cities. Put up some hoops on asphalt, the only equipment you need is a ball. It's basically the urban equivalent of soccer in terms of ease of play.

And yeah, it's amazing how hard it is to get started playing real American football compared association football (soccer) or basketball, and this was always something that to me sealed its fate as a regional thing.

I'm with you, I think basketball will continue to grow and become the other main sport on the planet along with soccer for reasons tied to this.

We need a European Pop Warner because football wouldn't be nearly as big as it is in the US.
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." - Martin Luther King
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#4570 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Sep 4, 2019 10:34 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

We need a European Pop Warner because football wouldn't be nearly as big as it is in the US.

Meanwhile, how long can American Pop Warner last?

I'll add that aside from the very recent data on the subject, my dad was a HUGE Pop Warner supporter with my elder brother. By the time I came around he put me in soccer instead. We had Chargers season tickets...but he wouldn't put another son through the meat grinder after seeing some kids get major injuries playing on the gridiron.

Kinda one of those things, if we're honest, we still love watching bloodsports...but putting your own child into a bloodsport? Less and less parents are likely to do that.
In another world...

And now introducing...
The Song of Westeros...
LeBron James
John Stockton
Bobby Jones
Rudy Gobert
Khris Middleton
Connie Hawkins
Otto Porter
Ryan Anderson
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#4571 » by E-Balla » Thu Sep 5, 2019 12:55 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

Meanwhile, how long can American Pop Warner last?

I'll add that aside from the very recent data on the subject, my dad was a HUGE Pop Warner supporter with my elder brother. By the time I came around he put me in soccer instead. We had Chargers season tickets...but he wouldn't put another son through the meat grinder after seeing some kids get major injuries playing on the gridiron.

Kinda one of those things, if we're honest, we still love watching bloodsports...but putting your own child into a bloodsport? Less and less parents are likely to do that.

Honestly not even. I don't have the same reaction I used to to big hits. I would cheer back in the day but now I feel bad and I think many more people feel like that now judging off watching games in public.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#4572 » by HeartBreakKid » Thu Sep 5, 2019 8:06 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

Well I get that argument, and given their actual approach failed it's worth revisiting...but there are major logistic issues to having to travel across the Atlantic as a matter of course. I mean, when is the game? If Americans don't watch it you're bleeding money, and if its inconvenient for the UK then they aren't going to get into it. Speaking as a tennis fan who has been known to wake up in the middle of the night for a grand slam final in another time zone, I've always seen it as basically impossible for tennis to compete in the US with sports that are played entirely in the US. For tennis that's a problem but still okay to a degree because of established appeal worldwide, but only Americans really care about American football, so it feels like a bigger issue.

If it is a national game then it works out fine enough? There is a 5-8 hour difference timezone difference depending where you are in the USA - most games on Sunday are at 1 PM Eastern Time, so it would be 6 PM in London. They can still have the 8 PM EST main event slot via an occasional home game in Jacksonville or of course, road games. The main event slot is pretty hard to get in general, so I don't think it's much of a problem - teams are fortunate to get one of those per year.

Considering football players only play once a week, it wouldn't be that complex of an issue to schedule around.

Super Rugby has teams in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Japan and Argentina. I think football fans are greatly overlooking the travel issue with the UK, they are fortunate the UK isn't further away.
PockyCandy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,018

Post#4573 » by PockyCandy » Sun Sep 8, 2019 1:26 am

NFL fans are acting like the Antonio Brown story is the craziest thing they've ever seen. I'm not even sure this would even crack the top 5 for wild stories to come out of the NBA in the last 12 months.

Also, I can't wait to see how this ""fun and exciting LSU offense!!!!" finds new and creative ways to score less than 10 points against Alabama this year. I feel like I've seen this exact same script every year since 2015.

My Youtube Channel. The #1 place to watch highlights of classic running-backs AND forgotten NBA legends:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRCZ96IaHDaW8xr5TZq3GUQ
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#4574 » by E-Balla » Sun Sep 8, 2019 7:58 pm

E-Balla wrote:
PockyCandy wrote:
E-Balla wrote:You wanna know a real good day? Imagine going to State. Imagine also being an LSU fan. I got to see LSU trash the fake GSU, and to see the real GSU beat Tennessee.

You must be on cloud nine right now. btw, I picked Desean Jackson in fantasy football last night. I'm expecting at least a couple 4ctch-120yds-2tds games out of the "GOAT deep threat" this season.

Better hope you get lucky then. :lol:

It's always hard to tell when he's going to go off because it's usually big plays not big games. I'd bet on him getting tons of yards early before defenses start selling out for him.

I hope you took my advice and started Desean Pocky. My brother didn't take my advice and didn't start Lamar Jackson, and this is the only other piece of advice I've given someone on who to start so you better have listened.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#4575 » by E-Balla » Sun Sep 8, 2019 8:04 pm

PockyCandy wrote:NFL fans are acting like the Antonio Brown story is the craziest thing they've ever seen. I'm not even sure this would even crack the top 5 for wild stories to come out of the NBA in the last 12 months.

Also, I can't wait to see how this ""fun and exciting LSU offense!!!!" finds new and creative ways to score less than 10 points against Alabama this year. I feel like I've seen this exact same script every year since 2015.

Who's the last NBA player to freeze their feet in a cyro chamber, get into a dispute with the league over equipment rules, threaten retirement, call his GM a cracker at practice, release a recorded phone call with the coach after they got reinstated to play, and tweet for his team to cut him?

This is the craziest sports story in a while, topping Magic and the KD burners pretty cleanly.

And the gap between the usual narrative on LSU and this year is that usually in game 1 you can see the offense totally remained the same. They're running a spread offense now and it looks totally different. Plus Burrow seems to have figured it out. LSU has scored more points than ever before through 2 games and have scored 40+ 5 straight games for the first time ever.

Bama is still gonna crush us, but LSU is looking like the clear #3 if their offense is that good.
PockyCandy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4576 » by PockyCandy » Sun Sep 8, 2019 8:43 pm

E-Balla wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
PockyCandy wrote:
You must be on cloud nine right now. btw, I picked Desean Jackson in fantasy football last night. I'm expecting at least a couple 4ctch-120yds-2tds games out of the "GOAT deep threat" this season.

Better hope you get lucky then. :lol:

It's always hard to tell when he's going to go off because it's usually big plays not big games. I'd bet on him getting tons of yards early before defenses start selling out for him.

I hope you took my advice and started Desean Pocky. My brother didn't take my advice and didn't start Lamar Jackson, and this is the only other piece of advice I've given someone on who to start so you better have listened.

I forgot to put DJ as my flex option, so sadly I got to watch him put up 30 points on my bench.

On the more positive side of things, I started Lamar Jackson, since I'm rolling with him for the the season as my QB. Yeah, Miami is a garbage fire, but 5 TDs is awesome, and I'm guessing he will utilize his legs more as the season goes on and he plays real defenses.

My Youtube Channel. The #1 place to watch highlights of classic running-backs AND forgotten NBA legends:

Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,333

Post#4577 » by Clyde Frazier » Mon Sep 9, 2019 5:46 pm

Read on Twitter

Senile racists sure do have a way with words.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#4578 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:32 am

I got Lamar and Ingram in my fantasy leagues really late, (one league I got Lamar in the 12th round). Ravens finna take me to the promise land
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#4579 » by E-Balla » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:04 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:I got Lamar and Ingram in my fantasy leagues really late, (one league I got Lamar in the 12th round). Ravens finna take me to the promise land

How did he go so late???? I thought he had a legit shot at being the #1 fantasy QB at least in points per week for when he's healthy. 12th round is egregious for someone with the legs and arm he has. Especially the legs, he would've been top 10 in fantasy last season if he started each game right over Brees. As a rookie.
PockyCandy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4580 » by PockyCandy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:16 pm

E-Balla wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:I got Lamar and Ingram in my fantasy leagues really late, (one league I got Lamar in the 12th round). Ravens finna take me to the promise land

How did he go so late???? I thought he had a legit shot at being the #1 fantasy QB at least in points per week for when he's healthy. 12th round is egregious for someone with the legs and arm he has. Especially the legs, he would've been top 10 in fantasy last season if he started each game right over Brees. As a rookie.

I got Jackson in the 9th round. Someone was an idiot and grabbed Mahomes in the third round, and then someone picked Rodgers in the 7th, and then Jackson was my pick in the 9th. Aside from our commissioner, nobody in our league really values quarterbacks.

My pals didn't believe that Jackson would be worth a pick, as he's an unproven second-year QB. I thought they were crazy, since Lamar is basically a QB/RB combo in one player. He's what Johnny Manziel should have been.

Return to Player Comparisons