16. Julius Erving
17. Dirk Nowitzki
18. David Robinson
19. Charles Barkley
20. Moses Malone
21. John Stockton
22. Dwyane Wade
23. ????

Am somewhat undecided. Leaning toward Chris Paul as my 1st pick, but not certain. And if I do go with Paul for my first pick, I'm REALLY undecided for my 2nd, as this has always been a difficult region of my all-time list. Strongest candidates for me feel like Ewing and Durant, but am also considering Pippen, Nash, and Pettit (also maybe Hondo).
Whadya' got?

eminence wrote:.

penbeast0 wrote:.

Clyde Frazier wrote:.

PaulieWal wrote:.

Colbinii wrote:.

Texas Chuck wrote:.

drza wrote:.

Dr Spaceman wrote:.

fpliii wrote:.

euroleague wrote:.

pandrade83 wrote:.

Hornet Mania wrote:.

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:.

SactoKingsFan wrote:.

Blackmill wrote:.

JordansBulls wrote:.

RSCS3_ wrote:.

BasketballFan7 wrote:.

micahclay wrote:.

ardee wrote:.

RCM88x wrote:.

Tesla wrote:.

Joao Saraiva wrote:.

LA Bird wrote:.

MyUniBroDavis wrote:.

kayess wrote:.

2klegend wrote:.

MisterHibachi wrote:.

70sFan wrote:.

mischievous wrote:.

Doctor MJ wrote:.

Dr Positivity wrote:.

Jaivl wrote:.

Bad Gatorade wrote:.

andrewww wrote:.

colts18 wrote:.

Moonbeam wrote:.

Cyrusman122000 wrote:.

Winsome Gerbil wrote:.

Narigo wrote:.

wojoaderge wrote:.

TrueLAfan wrote:.

90sAllDecade wrote:.

Outside wrote:.

scabbarista wrote:.

janmagn wrote:.

lebron3-14-3 wrote:.

Arman_tanzarian wrote:.

oldschooled wrote:.

Pablo Novi wrote:.

john248 wrote:.

mdonnelly1989 wrote:.

Senior wrote:.

twolves97 wrote:.

CodeBreaker wrote:.

JoeMalburg wrote:.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,201

Re: RealGM 2017 Top 100 List: #23 

Post#2 » by Outside » Wed Aug 2, 2017 7:22 pm

Will have limited availability over the next few days, so getting my vote in now, which is a repeat from the previous thread.

Vote: Baylor
Alternate: Mikan

Baylor was the original spectacular basketball player, the progenitor of Dr. J, Jordan, and all the high-fliers who came after. His stats are inflated by the fast pace of the time, but his per-36-minute career averages of 24.6 points/12.2 rebounds/3.9 assists (RS) and 23.7 points/11.3 rebounds/3.5 assists (PS) are impressive for any era. Baylor has an impressive streak of era dominance in playoff performance, leading the league in playoff scoring for four seasons. Baylor was also top 10 in MVP shares eight times, including top 5 seven times.

I'm picking Mikan due to era dominance. I downgrade Mikan for longevity and strength of era, but we're in the range where he deserves to be placed.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#3 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Aug 2, 2017 7:24 pm

Posts on Pettit, Mikan, Nash, Durant, Baylor, Curry, Ewing, Paul, Pippen, Isiah, Havlicek from last thread:

Spoiler:
Bob Pettit - Case for: Considered legit megastar status in his time, 2x MVP. Solid longevity, an all-star for all his 11 seasons and in his prime for roughly 9 of those. Excellent rebounder. Likely posted outstanding offensive rebound numbers. ATG great big at getting to line. Floor spacing big. Solid playoff performer including big performance to win title. Still a superstar in early-mid 60s, which likely means he’d have translated to late 60s and expansion diluted 70s. Great intangibles, played hard every single minute and great toughness. Slightly above average defense at a big man position would still add value. Case against: Scoring efficiency for his era is above average but not freakish. Doesn’t appear to be an elite defender. Lacks post prime years. An offensive driven player at big man which is a less offensive position than perimeter players in contention here.

George Mikan - Case for: Dominance in his time is only matched by players in the top 5. Including his NBL years, has a 8 year competitive prime longevity to other candidates here. The best defensive player in the league at the most defensive position C. Did everything you could ask him to do. Case against: Benefitted from lesser competition and unrefined style of game. Even within the shotclock era, peaked earlier when the competition was presumably worse. Not a perfect offensive player of his era. Plays least offensive position in C and passed by pre shot clock players offensively such as Cousy, pre War Arizin, Johnston. When taking into account weaker competition, may have one of weaker offensive cases in contention for this spot.

Steve Nash - Case for: As with Pettit, rated a legit superstar in his prime as shown by multiple MVPs. Has a reasonable 8 seasons of longevity in Phoenix alone. Spectacular ORAPM in Phoenix, elite offensive player at most offensive position PG. Makes All-NBA teams in Dallas so those are hardly irrelevant years. Good portability, great intangibles. Quality playoff performer. Case against: A weak defender, hurts even at PG. RAPM lukewarm on Dallas version which hurts overall superstar longevity. In Phoenix not an elite overall boxscore performer, with WS and BPM not supporting his case as a superstar.

Kevin Durant - Case for: Elite, MVP caliber peak. ATG portability, due to both his off ball game and defensive potential when he is able to save energy. Good teammate. Good playoff performer including big Finals MVP performance. Good playmaker and rebounder. Case against: Removing first two years where his impact stats sucked and his foot injury year, a little light in longevity side in 7 other seasons. Not truly embraced by RAPM/RPM compared to his boxscore stats.

Elgin Baylor - Case for: Huge peak for his time as a scorer, rebounder and passer. In his prime a good playoff performer and a shot from carrying Lakers to championship in 62. Continued to be rated as an all-star, 1st team All NBA and top 10 MVP vote guy the rest of the 60s with rebounding and passing helping make up for shooting efficiency. Case against: Prime cut short at about 4 years due to injury. Declines after his injury and while continues to be an all-star, never ranks in top 10 in WS again after 63 due to shooting % issues. Takes a lot of shots on a team with a better offensive player.

Stephen Curry - Case for: Arguably the best peak left on the board. Truly amazing offensive impact in his prime years due to the floor warping impact of his shooting along with his boxscore production. The most valuable player on 2 champions. Solid defender. Great intangibles. Case against: Very weak longevity compared to other candidates. About 4 season prime, 3 at best player in the league level. Wasn’t his GOAT level regular season self in the 2016 playoffs possibly due to injury. Not much defensive impact between good not great play, and playing PG.

Patrick Ewing - Case for: Great defensive center at the most defensive position gives him high baseline of value. Solid decade long prime and a good player as a rookie on. Made it to Game 7 of Finals with pretty weak team and overall had bad luck running into Jordan Bulls. High effort level, the sweat gawd. Some floor spacing value. Case against: Not a natural offensive player at least offensive position. Mediocre passer. Despite solid offensive numbers, few believe in his impact on that end.

Chris Paul - Case for: Superb advanced stats. One of the best boxscore peaks left and a very strong RAPM/RPM performer. Plays an offensive role in ballhandling, creating guard and is one of the best at it with his passing, shot creating, non turnover play. Excellent defensive PG. Quality playoff performer and his skillset translates against tough defenses. A solid 8-9 year prime and then some other decent years, gives him more longevity than options like Durant, Curry, Wade. Case against: Injury prone, getting banged up has cost his team in the playoffs and has several 60 game-ish seasons in his prime. Questionable leadership, he didn't gel with Blake and Deandre and Clippers lockerroom has been said to be "complicated". Orchestra conductor who yells at you if you don't mess up like Oscar. In several of biggest playoff moments as his team is choking was sitting idly by.

Scottie Pippen - Case for: All time great wing defender at a position with solid defensive value gives him a baseline. Players who dribble and pass well for their position tend to have quality offensive value. Solid longevity. Quality playoff performer. Without Jordan put up a great season and was in MVP convo. Good portability, he played beside a star who he wasn't a good fit with offensively and still had a terrific career. Has good ORAPM in late 90s, defense rated as ok but at his age a decline is probably expected. Case against: Rated on tier below MVP level players on his time by peers and the ultimate "2nd banana". Good not elite scorer and overall offensive skillset.

Isiah Thomas - Case for: Great playoff performer who coming up big had a lot to do with Detroit 2x titles. Plays high value offensive role as high assist creating guard. At peak is rated by peers as the 2nd best PG in the game hands down. Is credited with helping make Detroit into a winner culturally. Ability to create his own shot useful at end of game and big playoff moments. Case against: Mediocre efficiency and turnover prone. Non elite defender. His role as "alpha on a champion" is not supported by either the stats or award voting whether he barely makes a blip in either MVP or All-NBA despite MVP voting typically being all over the best offensive player on the best team. Idea that he tanked his mid 80s form to fit in his team doesn't show up in stats as he continued to shoot as much in championship years.

John Havlicek - Case for: Elite, Stockton-esque longevity and durability. Great portability as he played multiple roles in support during Russell era to star on his own team. Great defender at a solid defensive position, and good passer. Great intangibles and all time effort level on the court guy to set an example. Decorated big game playoff career. Case against: Not rated an MVP caliber player in his own time peaking at 4th/5th, and Cowens was considered best player of the title teams. His 28-29ppg seasons are highly inflated by pace and minutes. Per possession they're sub peak Pippen and Marion in scoring volume. Scoring efficiency concerns throughout his career.

I am intrigued by most of the players on this list including the cases for players like Pippen, Baylor and Ewing, but I'm going to go with two players who were MVP caliber players and have stats backing that up (WS type of stats for Pettit, RAPM for Nash) and who have quality longevity, moreso in Pettit's case. Durant has a great combination of MVP caliber play and long enough longevity but needs one or two more years for me

Vote: Bob Pettit

2nd: Steve Nash
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,669

Post#4 » by penbeast0 » Wed Aug 2, 2017 7:55 pm

Although he played in the weakest NBA era, George Mikan is 2 levels above anyone else left in terms of dominance. He put up Jordan level scoring numbers (relative to his peers), great rebounding, and from all reports, was the dominant defender of the early 50s as well. He dominated physically with his strength and athleticism (he wasn't appreciably taller than his peer, but he was built strong . . . like Shaq v. Shawn Bradley wasn't about height). He won consistently, almost every year during his prime. He is the only truly dominant player left with more than a 3 year or so resume.

Bob Pettit was the dominant player in the 50s between Mikan and Russell and remained a top 5 player even as the game drastically changed from the set shot/hook shot era of the 50s into the more modern game of the 60s. Although not as spectacular as Elgin Baylor, he was more efficient, a better rebounder, and stronger defensively though Baylor's playmaking is superior.

Kevin Durant has a decade as a top 5 player in the league even if he's never been #1. Stephen Curry had one of the GOAT seasons in 2016 and two others where he was in consideration of best player our of his short 7 year (has it been that long?) career. He also deserves a mention but I am not sure he deserves to be ahead of Durant yet though he's well on the way. Some posts have made me question Durant's impact. I will leave the vote for now, but am seriously considering Pettit or Curry here. For that matter Patrick Ewing and Chris Paul as well although I value playoff success highly.

Vote: George Mikan
Alternate: Kevin Durant
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,500

Post#5 » by 70sFan » Wed Aug 2, 2017 8:12 pm

Another project in which Pettit become underrated. I hope he will make Top 25, though it's unlikely...
wojoaderge
Veteran
And1: 1,492

Post#6 » by wojoaderge » Wed Aug 2, 2017 8:17 pm

Not much more to say about George Mikan other than he's my first vote once again. To repeat, no one left on the board was as dominating in his particular time or served as the go-to guy on as championship teams as he did.

1-George Mikan
2-Bob Pettit

Curry, KD, and Nash are in the next group for me and i'm going to have to sort them out
"Coach, why don't you just relax? We're not good enough to beat the Lakers. We've had a great year, why don't you just relax and cool down?"
wojoaderge
Veteran

Post#7 » by wojoaderge » Wed Aug 2, 2017 8:19 pm

70sFan wrote:Another project in which Pettit become underrated. I hope he will make Top 25, though it's unlikely...

He was 3rd last vote, hopefully 2nd this time and 1st next
"Coach, why don't you just relax? We're not good enough to beat the Lakers. We've had a great year, why don't you just relax and cool down?"
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,083

Post#8 » by therealbig3 » Wed Aug 2, 2017 8:32 pm

So with regards to Durant, it just really bothers me that there is such a disconnect between his +/- and his box score stats, and that people for the most part tend to be infatuated by the latter. I pretty much only care about how much those numbers translate into impact, otherwise Adrian Dantley should go soon as well.

And this has held true despite two different team circumstances and two different sets of teammates. His DRAPM wasn't even very impressive, even on GS, despite that being a consensus improvement for him this year.

Now, I for one am not really surprised that Durant isn't a super high impact player (relative to other superstars...he's obviously a high impact player overall), because when I watch him, he doesn't seem to be imposing his will on the game on either side of the court, because he's not skilled enough offensively or defensively, and I'm pretty confident in believing that a player who scores 30+ PPG on 60%+ TS isn't necessarily having elite offensive impact, but that seems to be where most people are getting tripped up when it comes to Durant. His box score looks amazing, but the evidence shows that GS didn't even really improve all that much with him, and they still depend a lot more on Curry, even if he scored less on lower TS%.

To me, Durant has empty stats to a degree. Not to the point where he's no longer a stud of a player, but to the point that I see him as a borderline top 5 player instead of the "arguably best in the league" player that seems to be the popular narrative now...I would take LeBron, Curry, and CP3 over Durant without much hesitation, and I think I would probably favor Kawhi as well, and I think Westbrook has a really strong case too.

With all that in mind, I really don't think he should go ahead of Ewing, Paul, Nash, or Curry. Durant just isn't an all time great offensive anchor, due to the severe lack of gravity he has compared to Paul/Nash/Curry, and his defense has become pretty wildly overrated...to me, I don't see him as much more than an above average defensive wing. Certainly nowhere close to Ewing's defensive impact, and Ewing himself was a really good offensive big.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,391

Post#9 » by Hornet Mania » Wed Aug 2, 2017 8:42 pm

Same votes as last time for me:

23. Patrick Ewig
Alt vote: Elgin Baylor

After this I'm considering the old-school legends (Mikan, Pettit) and a mix of 90s/00s players (Nash, Kidd, Pippen, Drexler). Once we get more towards 30 the younger guys with great peaks but short resumes (relative to retired players anyway) will start gaining traction.
Hornet Mania
General Manager

Post#10 » by Hornet Mania » Wed Aug 2, 2017 8:47 pm

therealbig3 wrote:So with regards to Durant, it just really bothers me that there is such a disconnect between his +/- and his box score stats, and that people for the most part tend to be infatuated by the latter. I pretty much only care about how much those numbers translate into impact, otherwise Adrian Dantley should go soon as well.

And this has held true despite two different team circumstances and two different sets of teammates. His DRAPM wasn't even very impressive, even on GS, despite that being a consensus improvement for him this year.

Now, I for one am not really surprised that Durant isn't a super high impact player (relative to other superstars...he's obviously a high impact player overall), because when I watch him, he doesn't seem to be imposing his will on the game on either side of the court, because he's not skilled enough offensively or defensively, and I'm pretty confident in believing that a player who scores 30+ PPG on 60%+ TS isn't necessarily having elite offensive impact, but that seems to be where most people are getting tripped up when it comes to Durant. His box score looks amazing, but the evidence shows that GS didn't even really improve all that much with him, and they still depend a lot more on Curry, even if he scored less on lower TS%.

To me, Durant has empty stats to a degree. Not to the point where he's no longer a stud of a player, but to the point that I see him as a borderline top 5 player instead of the "arguably best in the league" player that seems to be the popular narrative now...I would take LeBron, Curry, and CP3 over Durant without much hesitation, and I think I would probably favor Kawhi as well, and I think Westbrook has a really strong case too.

With all that in mind, I really don't think he should go ahead of Ewing, Paul, Nash, or Curry. Durant just isn't an all time great offensive anchor, due to the severe lack of gravity he has compared to Paul/Nash/Curry, and his defense has become pretty wildly overrated...to me, I don't see him as much more than an above average defensive wing. Certainly nowhere close to Ewing's defensive impact, and Ewing himself was a really good offensive big.

I get what you're saying, but at the same time +/- isn't gospel truth for deciding player value either. GSW were an absolute machine before Durant joined so it's not great surprise that they were more comfortable when they could go back to the old core and not have to concern themselves with feeding a new superstar.

Durant's impact can be seen in the way the Thunder became appreciably worse as soon as he left. They dropped off from a team capable of going up 3-2 on GSW (and were one Klay Thompson explosion away from the Finals) to a one-man show with no chance to escape the 2nd round. Some of that could be attributed to OKC leaning too heavily on Westbrook when they could be better off with a balanced attack, I don't believe that myself but it's at least debatable, though I think even the most optimistic scenario featuring Kanter/Roberson/Adams with more touches wouldn't bridge much of that gap.

Dantley isn't a great comparison because in spite of his offensive similarity he was a laughable defender. Durant has always been at least respectable since entering his prime and last year better than that. In this case I think +/- just isn't telling the whole story.
THKNKG
Pro Prospect
And1: 368

Post#11 » by THKNKG » Wed Aug 2, 2017 8:50 pm

Right now, the 4 players I have highest are Nash, Paul, Ewing, and Mikan. Pettit is difficult for me, because I don't know how to interpret a player of his caliber being arguably the second best playoff performer on his team some years.

Nash has the overall longevity edge on Paul, but CP3's longevity is better than I realized. He has 10 full prime years, arguably 11. The one caveat of course is his durability in those years. I dock Shaq some for missing so many RS games, but going off of memory, he rarely if ever missed playoff games. For some reason, CP3 has an unfortunate ability to miss games at the most inopportune times. I don't know how much to dock him, though.

Ewing vs Nash is tough, because it's awesome team defenses vs awesome team offenses in a sense.

Mikan scored in the 0.80's range on my relative longevity scale (1 is average; Magic and Larry are slightly above him - about 0.05 higher), so his longevity issues are slightly overstated relative to his era. His actual era strength is an issue though.
All-Time Fantasy Draft Team (90 FGA)

PG: Maurice Cheeks / Giannis
SG: Reggie Miller / Jordan
SF: Michael Jordan / Bruce Bowen
PF: Giannis / Marvin Williams
C: Artis Gilmore / Chris Anderson
Hornet Mania
General Manager

Post#12 » by Hornet Mania » Wed Aug 2, 2017 8:53 pm

micahclay wrote:Right now, the 4 players I have highest are Nash, Paul, Ewing, and Mikan. Pettit is difficult for me, because I don't know how to interpret a player of his caliber being arguably the second best playoff performer on his team some years.

Nash has the overall longevity edge on Paul, but CP3's longevity is better than I realized. He has 10 full prime years, arguably 11. The one caveat of course is his durability in those years. I dock Shaq some for missing so many RS games, but going off of memory, he rarely if ever missed playoff games. For some reason, CP3 has an unfortunate ability to miss games at the most inopportune times. I don't know how much to dock him, though.

Ewing vs Nash is tough, because it's awesome team defenses vs awesome team offenses in a sense.

Mikan scored in the 0.80's range on my relative longevity scale (1 is average; Magic and Larry are slightly above him - about 0.05 higher), so his longevity issues are slightly overstated relative to his era. His actual era strength is an issue though.

How much do you penalize Paul for being injured in several of those prime playoff runs? That hurts his longevity a lot in my eyes, and drops him below Nash/Kidd for the time being. It's not his fault, but it's a factor.
Pablo Novi
Senior
And1: 233

Post#13 » by Pablo Novi » Wed Aug 2, 2017 9:15 pm

In thread, #21,trex addressed the question of not voting for one's #1 choice if that player is getting no traction. So I posted the following in response:
"trex,
Thanx for taking the time & effort to spell this out.
It's pretty weird for me. Of all the players remaining, Cousy is both my highest ranked AND the one I care the least about. imo, he was the #3 PG of all time (after Magic & "O" - and treating Jerry West as a SG). He's tied for THE highest ranking remaining player in terms of ALL-NBA 1st-Team (with 10, along with Elgin Baylor & Bob Pettit) (and if we include 2nd-Team selections - he's the #1 remaining player) and even though I penalize him significantly for most of his greatness playing out in the 1950's - he still comes in 4th of the remaining players (after Baylor, Pettit & Rick Barry - all of whom I liked a good deal more than Cousy).

I've said before in these threads that I attended a number of Celtics' games in the mid-1960s at the Gaaaden - and the racist nastiness of the fans towards even the great Bill Russell - just killed my love for that team. So, fighting for Cousy over everybody else is not easy for me - still, I DO think he's the best remaining player, vis-à-vis his own position, PG - and we've only picked two so far - so this is overdue." [N.B. We've recently taken Stockton who I have just below Cousy on my GOAT PG list]
-----
Vote: Pettit
Alt: Elgin Baylor (Elgin's finally getting some traction; and I feel he'll go before Cousy - thus my switched vote).
H.M. Bob Cousy (who I feel strongly should go next; but is getting close to zero traction)

My #1 criteria is the number of "Great Years" each player accumulated in their careers; "Great Years" defined as: getting selected ALL-League 1st-Team or 2nd-Team. Accumulating several of these says that you dominated YOUR position in YOUR era.

These are the only three guys with 10 ALL-League 1st-Team selections not yet chosen for our GOAT list.
A "decade's" worth of domination of the players at their position is a tremendous achievement (only achieved by a total of 10 players in the 80 years of 1938 season to 2017 season!) Of those ten, only three (K.Malone, Kobe & LeBron) have 11 1st-Team selections. In other words, these three could hardly have done more.

Besides, each of them revolutionized their respective positions. We've been (collectively) putting players on our GOAT list with FAR LESS positional-era-dominance. I don't much see what more they could have done to "satisfy" this board?

Imo, all three of these guys should go next.

Permit me to add: the selectors are IDEALLY suited - it was/is their job to report on the sport; and COLLECTIVELY, there are enough of them to override pretty much any and all personal, "homerist" biases. Imo, their selection process TRUMPS all stats or combinations of them. I'd also note, that over the last 58 years of NBA-NBL-ABA "rabidity", I've never once had a MAJOR objection to their selections.

Further, there are only 22 players in total who even accumulated at least 6 1st-Team ALL-League selections - showing just how difficult getting TEN is.

btw, I consider Elgin Baylor to have been a superior player to both Pettit & Cousy (and, along with Jerry West, he's my co- All-Time favorite player - because of their bi-racial harmony and artistry (and pretty equal in skills). I have been voting Pettit & Cousy OVER Elgin because I consider it more important that there be more POSITIONAL balance in a GOAT list. I accomplish that balance by selecting one player per position per descending set of 5 GOAT spots. (Example, my GOAT Top 5: KAJ, Magic, MJ, LBJ & TD).

Surely, bigs, especially Centers have historically (especially until about the turn of the century) a bigger influence on Defense. But, generally speaking, the smaller the position / player the more they: run around, cut, stop-and-go, dribble, pass, etc. For me, this almost equals the bigs' defensive advantage. Combining the two factors, while I have, as I said, one player form each position in each descending set of 5 GOAT spots; I always have the Center as the highest ranked.
Sublime187
Rookie
And1: 1,092

Post#14 » by Sublime187 » Wed Aug 2, 2017 9:23 pm

How is Mikan even being considered at this point when none of his contemporaries are even close to being selected. Doesn't that speak volumes of the terrible competition he had? Yes he beat what was in front of him but that should not allow him to be this high on this list. At least not in front of others guys currently being discussed.
Hornet Mania
General Manager

Post#15 » by Hornet Mania » Wed Aug 2, 2017 9:30 pm

Sublime187 wrote:How is Mikan even being considered at this point when none of his contemporaries are even close to being selected. Doesn't that speak volumes of the terrible competition he had? Yes he beat what was in front of him but that should not make allow him to be this high on this list. At least not in front of others guys currently being discussed.

I can't speak for anyone else but for me it's strictly respect for the pioneers. Mikan was era-relative far more dominant than anyone else left, once the guys with top 25ish resumes get sorted out I'm fine with giving a pioneer a nod to show respect for a guy who laid the foundation the others took to the next level and to acknowledge "the original" GOAT.
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#16 » by Outside » Wed Aug 2, 2017 9:32 pm

70sFan wrote:Another project in which Pettit become underrated. I hope he will make Top 25, though it's unlikely...

I've got him at 25. We're in the midst of a group that are very, very close, though some of us think certain players are a notch above. I'd have no problem voting for Pettit here, but I happened to pick Baylor and Mikan as slightly above. I've got Havlicek, Nash, Barry, Pippen, and Ewing in the same group. I might include Curry in with them, but I'm not sure about that yet. I didn't have Wade or Dirk this high, so that's messing me up.
wojoaderge
Veteran

Post#17 » by wojoaderge » Wed Aug 2, 2017 9:47 pm

Pablo Novi wrote:Cousy

If it's any consolation, i'll very likely be voting for him in the 30s. Winning an MVP and a ring is a big deal to me, and by my calculations there are 12 players left who accomplished both. I will definitely be voting for 11 out of the 12, and the 12th is a possibility (even if he was kicked off his team during the Finals). Of those 11, 9 were also arguably the best players on least one championship team. Those 9 are all in my Top 50. Of the other two, one was definitely not the best player on his championship team(despite winning the Finals MVP for some very strange reason) and not good enough anyway be in my Top 50. The other was a 6th man but I consider him good enough to make my Top 50.
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#18 » by Outside » Wed Aug 2, 2017 9:51 pm

Sublime187 wrote:How is Mikan even being considered at this point when none of his contemporaries are even close to being selected. Doesn't that speak volumes of the terrible competition he had? Yes he beat what was in front of him but that should not make allow him to be this high on this list. At least not in front of others guys currently being discussed.

Regarding Mikan's contemporaries, a lot of that is unfamiliarity -- Bob Cousy is sorta kinda known, but Paul Arazin, Dolph Schayes, Walt Bellamy, and Zelmo Beatty don't get much recognition -- but the era is rightly downgraded due to black players being excluded and top athletes going to other sports.

Mikan easily rises above the rest. He had a short career (though it's important to note that he had two years in the NBL that aren't listed on b-r.com), but his dominance during that era is significant. Mikan led his team to titles in five of seven years he played in the BAA/NBA, plus two titles in two years in the NBL prior to that. Seven titles in nine years is impressive (one of those non-title years being a comeback attempt after retiring), and that's while leading his team and often the league in scoring and rebounding.

The deduction for the era is up to each person, but if there was no deduction, he'd easily be top 10. Dropping into the twenties seems reasonable.
wojoaderge
Veteran

Post#19 » by wojoaderge » Wed Aug 2, 2017 10:00 pm

wojoaderge wrote:If it's any consolation, i'll very likely be voting for him in the 30s. Winning an MVP and a ring is a big deal to me, and by my calculations there are 12 players left who accomplished both. I will definitely be voting for 11 out of the 12, and the 12th is a possibility (even if he was kicked off his team during the Finals). Of those 11, 9 were also arguably the best players on least one championship team. Those 9 are all in my Top 50. Of the other two, one was definitely not the best player on his championship team(despite winning the Finals MVP for some very strange reason) and not good enough anyway be in my Top 50. The other was a 6th man but I consider him good enough to make my Top 50.

Actually there's 13 - also a 6th man when he won a ring, probably not good to make my top 50
Bad Gatorade
Senior
And1: 1,815

Post#20 » by Bad Gatorade » Wed Aug 2, 2017 10:37 pm

Vote 1 - Chris Paul

I'll throw my post from last time once again -

Spoiler:
So, for this spot, I’m going to go slightly homer.

He won’t win this spot, and I don’t even know if I’m 100% sure that I’d want him right at this spot, but he’s certainly worthy in my mind, and I thought that I’d throw the case out for him now. I’m voting for the guy I’m arguably most highly associated with on this board – Mr Christopher Emmanuel Paul.

This will probably garner a bit of controversy, thanks to his playoff success and (relatively) incomplete career, but IMO, he’s had a ridiculously good prime, and supplemented it with just enough longevity that he should absolutely be discussed around this point in the convo. And honestly, there are quite a few candidates whose placement at this stage of the project is entirely valid, and it’s up to us to concoct a case for guys we feel should be ranking highly.

Box Score
I don’t even think I need to expand on this all that much, due to general incompleteness of the box score, and due to how highly CP3 performs here. CP3’s numbers are generally quite good – he’s been a consistent 19-10-2 type guy on some very good efficiency. These numbers don’t truly jump out at people though, until we look at his advanced statistics.

Just as a very quick summary – his PER ranks 6th all time, his WS/48 ranks 2nd all time, and his BPM ranks 3rd all time. In the playoffs, these numbers change to… 5th all time, 5th all time, 3rd all-time respectively. Now, I’ll be the first to admit that this isn’t an entirely fair ranking – playing in a 30-team era, it’s a bit easier for top end players to accrue higher advanced stats, because they’re greater outliers with respect to their league than in the 80s and 90s. CP3’s career hasn’t finished yet, so he hasn’t had post-prime play diminishing his averages. Box score stats aren’t the be all and end all. But considering we’re now outside of the top 20 of the project, and CP3 is ranking so highly after 12 years in the league should showcase that his advanced box score stats are… awesome.

Even looking at his PER 100 stats (normalising for pace and what not), he actually seems to be better than he first appears.

For his career, CP3 has averaged 27.6 points per 100 and 14.6 assists per 100. If we look at the amount of seasons every player has had accruing at least 25 PP100 and 10 AP100 with at least 10 WS (qualifiers well below his career averages), CP3 has had 8 seasons eclipsing these milestones. The next highest out of everybody in league history (since 1974, i.e. since per 100 stats became a thing) is Magic Johnson/LeBron James, with 5 each. I included WS as a quick catch-all for things such as team success and efficiency – obviously not a resolute metric, but for a brief litmus test, CP3’s got some great box scores on some very good teams.

Looking at him compared to Magic/Nash (the two guys who ran arguably the two greatest offensive dynasties ever) -

Prime Magic, from 85-91 averaged 27.2 PP100 and 16.2 assists.
Prime Nash, from 05-10 averaged 24.8 PP100 and 15.9 assists.
Over the past 10 years, CP3 averaged 28.3 PP100 and 15.1 assists.

Considering all 3 of these guys were highly efficient, the cursory glance is that CP3 threw together some awesome box scores given the minutes/pace he played. Box score doesn’t even matter all that much in isolation, really – it’s more so some information for those who prefer the box score to other methods of assessment. At least, it shows that he’s carrying a load that compares to the other passing orientated premier offensive players in NBA history. And that's the biggest thing about box scores - they show you why high impact players are useful, and Paul is simply an efficient point/assist production machine.

Impact
For all of his excellence in the box score, this is where I feel like CP3 really shines. His impact stats are similarly awesome.

Looking at a couple of our larger datasets –

08-11 RAPM – 6th with 7.3, with 2nd place being 7.8 and 7th place being 6.7 (i.e. he was closer to being 2nd than being 7th).

15 year RAPM – 5th in the 2001-2015 dataset behind LeBron, Garnett, Duncan and Stockton with the age adjustment (dubious in the case of Stockton due to Stockton being 40...), and 3rd (behind LeBron and Garnett) without the age adjustment.

Year by year PI RAPM – from 2009 onwards (i.e. once he entered his prime + no longer had enough non-prime minutes depressing his prior) he ranked in the top 10 every single year, and was in the top 5 every single year as a Clipper.

Team rating
– on court, he’s been a +8.6, with a +13.8 on/off rating since 2008. This became as high as +14.2 in 2016-17 for the former, and +20.9 in 2014-15 as the latter!

Win Probability
– 5th behind LeBron (the clear leader), Garnett, Duncan and Nowitzki. His effect on win probability is only 1 point behind #2 (Garnett). Aside from Ginobili (19.1), CP3 is well ahead of everybody else in the dataset.

Simply put – he’s had some amazing impact results. All of CP3’s peers with regard to impact since 2001 have already been voted in (i.e. LeBron and the “big 3” power forwards of the 2000s), and a number of the players often perceived to be in his impact realm, or greater (e.g. Kobe, Wade) are actually well below CP3 here! Now, simply looking at RAPM is not entirely conclusive either (in particular, I think there are elements of Kobe that underrate his impact) but the cursory glance, much like the box score, appears to bode well for CP3 too.

So far, his raw metrics paint him very favourably, so let’s look at a few of the reservations people have about him –

His perceived “drop off”

There’s a lot of chatter around CP3’s peak seasons being 2008 and 2009. IMO, a lot of this is simply due to aesthetics (fans remember that CP3 was more “drive-heavy” back then) and because he had better per game stats.

The former is because guards that drive to the hoop with reckless abandon generally resonate better with the eye test (and CP3 has gradually gravitated more to the perimeter during his career) and the latter is due to a combination of reduced minutes and playing alongside Blake. Blake is a very good player, and compared to most bigs, controls the ball quite a lot – in fact, he ranked as high as 10th in 2014-15 and 11th in 2015-16 in “touches per game,” which is a statistic traditionally dominated by guards and LeBron James. So, not only does this depress CP3's stats a bit, but the idea that CP3 is so ball dominant that guys like Blake aren't fully used (which is often proposed around here) just seems like a silly narrative at this point.

If we observe CP3's traditional statistics from the 2008 and 2009 seasons, and look at the past 3 seasons without Blake via WOWY data, here are CP3’s per 100 statistics –

2008-09
31.2 PTS, 6.8 REB, 16.1 AST, 3.9 STL, 3.9 TOV, 58.8 TS%

Past 3 seasons without Blake (2,681 minutes)
30.8 PTS, 7.2 REB, 16.0 AST, 3.0 STL, 4.1 TOV, 57.6 TS%

There is almost no major difference between these stats – scoring, rebound, assist and turnover volume are almost identical. There’s a reduction in his steals, and a minor reduction in his TS%, but these aren’t actually due to a reduction in skill – CP3, despite accruing less steals, is actually a better defender by DRAPM, because his defensive instincts and man defence have improved in order to compensate – his highest DRAPM results are actually his Clipper results, not his 2008/2009 results. And he’s got a minor reduction in TS%, but this is because he’s actually having a larger effect on team spacing now, and allows DeAndre to occupy the interior more. Without DeAndre, he has (in an admittedly small sample of 805 minutes) been averaging 34.4 points per 100 possessions on 60.1 TS% because he’s more free to occupy the space under the rim!

And heck, he’s actually been producing his best RAPM results as a Clipper, rather than as a Hornet. I cannot stress this enough - for all the talk about how 2008 and 2009 was "peak" Paul, andnowhere near this level now, RAPM actually says the exact opposite story.

A lot of CP3 “dropping off” is honestly pure narrative, and because his athleticism isn’t quite as impressive nowadays – it’s not uncommon to hear that CP3 has been getting onto the all-defensive NBA teams by his reputation, and that he’s dropped off… although his best DRAPM results have actually been in the past 4 seasons, finishing as high as 4th in DRAPM last season! This doesn’t mean I’d peg him as the #4 defender, but the best empirical tool we have for measuring defence actually paints him as improving on this front, rather than getting worse!

So, for those who view his 2008/09 seasons highly, is there really any reason to place them above CP3 of the recent seasons?

Playoff success/Big game play

This is the big one. The monkey that has plagued CP3 throughout his career is his play in the big moments. How much of this is actually due to CP3 himself?

I’ve been a bit strapped for time in general (thank you fatherhood), so I’ll blatantly copy-paste one of my former posts:

[spoiler]Really, the only series that CP3 has played in where his team “should” have won prior to the start of the series are the 2015 Rockets series, and the 2016 Trailblazers series. I’m definitely on board with the idea that a few of these series could have been won, but weren’t, but it doesn’t hurt to look over CP3’s elimination series career in a bit more detail.

2008 Spurs
Even though the Spurs were the defending champions, I don’t think they were really notably better than the Hornets. The series went to 7 games, with the Hornets losing games 6 and 7.

The Hornets lost game 3, with CP3 playing excellent basketball, so there’s not really anything else he could have done. Game 4, he wasn’t quite as good, but he still threw in a solid performance on the whole, and the Hornets lost by 20. It could be argued that CP3 may have done better siphoning some shots away from West (4/15) or Pargo (4/14), but it wasn’t made easier when the Hornets were right in this game after the 1st quarter (-2), and then went down to -13 once CP3 went to the bench for 5 minutes. The team outside of CP3 had a TS% of 0.410… that’s pathetic, so I’m almost entirely certain that CP3 trying to look for his own shot may have made things closer, but his teammates were downright poor, and this game was likely lost anyway due to how poor his teammates were.

Game 6, CP3 played a solid game, but one that wasn’t remarkable by any means (although the Spurs were clearly better on the whole, and likely would have won anyway). Game 7, similar story – his game wasn’t bad, per se, but unlike game 6, I think CP3 approaching his “standard” level of play would have likely won them the game. So, on the whole, I think that the Hornets could have taken game 7, making this series quite “winnable.” In a way, the Hornets don’t have that chance without CP3 playing as well as he did throughout the series, but I think they could have taken game 7 had CP3 approached his normal standard of play. So, he had a very good series overall, but had he had one of his “great” games in game 6, or had a “normal quality” game in game 7, I think the Hornets make it through. Probably one of the more winnable series that CP3 didn’t win in his career.

2009 Nuggets
CP3 was banged up in this series, and the Nuggets were a better team than the Hornets – I think a healthy, regular season quality CP3 keeps it competitive, so I’m not entirely sure how to assess this any further.

2011 Lakers
A lot of people are saying this series should have been winnable for the Hornets, but I think people are being quite harsh here – the Lakers were defending champions, and a much better team than this Hornets squad. The Hornets lost games 2, 3, 5 and 6.

Game 2, CP3 had quite a nice game overall, IMO. Very efficient 20 points and 9 assists, and his team shot very poorly on the whole. More than anything, Bynum and Odom were killing the Hornets this game, IMO. Game 3, the Lakers were simply the better team. CP3 played a solid, but unspectacular game, and spectacular game would have been what was needed to trump the Lakers. I think game 5 was a similar story – the Hornets actually went on their best runs in games 3 and 5 when CP3 was playing particularly pass-first, so I’m not so sure “aggression” is where the key factor is here, as much as it was the Lakers simply being better. Game 6, CP3 didn’t have a great game, but the Lakers were likely better anyway, and there’s no guarantee that they win game 7.

Calling this series “winnable” is a stretch, IMO, even if it’s “technically” accurate – the Hornets were a far worse squad than the Lakers, but CP3 played an excellent series (22 and 11.5, incredible shooting efficiency) and the rest of the Hornets were out of their depth. Their best stretches in their “loss” games occurred when CP3 wasn’t really looking for his shot, so I’m not sure you can even pin this down to aggression – the Hornets (who were already a much worse squad, and lost West) were simply out of their depth. I don’t really call this series winnable, just because CP3 was incredible in game 1 – the Hornets won that game by 9, and that’s with CP3 rocking 33 points and 14 assists on 2 turnovers and 71 TS% - this is the sort of standard he would have needed for the series to be winnable, and, well, those expectations are a bit too high, IMO.

2012 Spurs
They weren’t winning this series anyway, but this was one of the rare “poor” playoff series that CP3 has played.

2013 Memphis
This is another series that people often say is winnable, so let’s look at games 3 to 6, and see if it really was –

Game 3, CP3 played like crap. No two ways about it. If he played better, they go up 3-0, and they get the series. Game 4, CP3 was pretty good, but the Clippers lost by 21 due to the utter annihilation their frontcourt faced by Memphis. Gasol, Randolph and Prince, of all people, were savaging the Clippers frontcourt. CP3 isn’t changing this game.

Game 5, none of the Clippers play well aside from CP3, who roasted the Grizzlies for 35 points on efficient shooting with only 1 turnover. Nothing coming from CP3 is changing this game. Game 6, CP3 was excellent again, but the Grizz won comfortably. It wasn’t really the team’s offence that was subpar either – it was their team’s defence.

And that is the story of the 2013 Memphis series, IMO – CP3’s overall play was actually really good, and the Clippers were a +8 ORTG against the league’s second best defence that year, so I’m not entirely sure his “aggression” was at fault here. He played like crap in game 3, and it’s utterly true that winning game 3 may have changed the outcome of the series. But games 4-6, CP3 was clearly not the problem. The problem was Blake’s injury, as well as the team’s defence – the Clippers were destroyed by Gasol and Randolph (with solid performances from Conley and Allen). Honestly, even though the Clippers may have seemed on a similar playing field to the Grizzlies before the series, CP3 played a great series overall, and games 4-6 weren’t really his to blame. In one way, the series was “winnable” but the fact that they lost the series isn’t on CP3, and aside from game 3, I’m not sure how much he could have done. And these games happen – teams often go up 2-0, and then don’t play quite as well in game 3. But after that point, CP3 was really the only Clipper doing anything worthwhile against a very strong Memphis team.

2014 Thunder
I think the Thunder were the better team (I was very high on the Durant/Westbrook era Thunder, and thought they were an excellent squad). This series was unique, in the sense that all of the stars (CP3, Westbrook, Durant, Blake) played a really good series, and it went down to the wire. The Thunder won by less than 1 point per game.

Game 2 – CP3 was okay, but he was absolutely outplayed by Westbrook. I think he could have played better and made the result more competitive, but he didn’t “choke” or anything this game. Game 3, he was awesome, but so were Durant (who was downright unreal) and Westbrook. The biggest difference in this game is that the Thunder role players were better than the Clippers role players, IMO. Game 5 was settled by 1 point, and there’s the infamous “choke” that people allude to quite frequently on this board – not a terrific game from him, but his presence still led the Clippers to a +11 with him on the court. The biggest negative (much like the rest of the series) was Crawford, who absolutely killed the game whenever he was on the court. So, CP3 wasn’t great, and he could have helped take the elusive game 5 with better play, but the biggest impact on the Clippers in the rest of the game occurred when CP3 left the court, and OKC began feasting. So, I’m a bit undecided on game 5. He choked the ending, definitely, but I’m not sure that it’s a choke-job without him on the court in the first place.

Game 6, CP3 was great, but the Clippers lost because Durant was more awesome, and because his team sucked again.

I don’t know how to feel about this series – I think this series could very well be a series where CP3 played some excellent basketball throughout, but had clear elusive junctions in which he could have played better and captured another game or two. But then again, there were also games where there’s no chance that the Clippers win if CP3 didn’t play as well as he did. I think it was a winnable series, overall (and the end result was very close) but I don’t actually hold the series against him, because his actual level of play was quite good on the whole, and the series doesn’t seem like a “choke” if he didn’t play quite as well at certain other junctions to begin with. It’s worth mentioning that CP3 was a net +6.6 per 100 when on the court, so even if he didn’t capture a couple of moments that could have won the series, he was also the primary reason that the series was as close as it was. If Jamal Crawford wasn’t such a playoff choke artist that annihilated his own team whenever he takes the court in the playoffs, there’s a good chance the Clippers win, and a different narrative occurs.

2015 Rockets
A lot is made of the Rockets series, and how the Clippers “choked,” but to be short and sweet – it was the rest of the team, not CP3, and I fully believe this. CP3 put up 26 points and 10-11 assists per game in the infamous final 3 games of the series on elite efficiency.

The rest of the team? TS% of 46.8. That is absolutely pathetic.

Crawford (token team killer), Redick, Rivers… they were all abhorrently bad. Especially Crawford – he shot 12/41 and was -16, -26 and -22 in the past 3 games. CP3’s teammates absolutely wet the bed here, and I really can’t blame the final 3 games on him. I know some people will disagree, but I genuinely don’t, and think that there are some clearly more egregious moments in his career that are worth being lambasted for above this series.

2016 Blazers
Injured along with Blake, so they had no chance.

So on the whole, there’s a bit of a mixed bag with CP3’s playoff career. His overall play has been excellent, IMO. He’s all over the playoff statistics leaderboard, and is just as good of a player as he is in the regular season, where he is excellent.

The main critiques regarding his playoff performance is how “passive” he is, and choking in key moments.

The latter has occurred, definitely. His worst game in 2008 was game 7, and there was the OKC game 5 that he clearly could have won. So I understand the reservations regarding his playoff history here.

I do, however, think people are notoriously harsh on him sometimes – he gets blamed for being too passive in a lot of series, but a lot of the time, there’s nobody outside of LeBron James who could carry a team playing so poorly to victory. Rockets 2015 is a prime example – people would say that he let the game get away, but a 26-10 average across the last 3 games isn’t being “too passive” at all, IMO. Heck, in the first round that year, he was averaging 23 and 8 against the Spurs, but because he happened to hit a couple of big shots in the final game, people would laud the series as an example of how CP3 managed to “perfect” his level of aggression and decision making… but I’m not fully sure that aside from a couple of big shots (which can often be due to chance), that he was all that different against the Spurs than he was against many other teams at other points in his career.

I think that CP3’s “clutch” issues are heavily magnified by how poor his team has been defensively at certain junctions. To use an example, Wade was outstanding in the 2006 NBA finals (34.7 PPG, 57.2 TS%) and he definitely took the game into his own hands (only 3.8 assists per game). He was terrific, and there are no two ways around it. But it’s also worth mentioning that despite a gargantuan performance, his team only mustered a 101 ORTG that series. His teammates were quite poor offensively (average TS% of 50.4), but yes, Wade’s performance, as herculean as it was, only lifted the team to a 101 ORTG. Of course, the Heat only gave up an ORTG of 99 in the series, so they won, and Wade’s efforts were rightfully recognised. But their defence was absolutely integral to their victory too, and if the Mavs played at their normal offensive level, they take the series. It doesn’t mean Wade was any worse – he has an outstanding series either way. But considering how low a 101 ORTG really is (a -4.0 compared to the Mavs “typical” defence that season), it shows you just how important factors such as defence can be to the outcome of a series. And in a few of these series (e.g. 2011 Lakers, 2013 Grizzlies, 2015 Rockets), the inability for the rest of the team to cope defensively is what has brought them down at crucial junctions, even more than CP3’s play/the offensive play of his teammates.

Offensively, CP3’s teams have generally been really, really good in the playoffs, and he is by far the biggest reason for this. It’s their defence that has frequently let them down in the series that they’ve lost. I’ve already made some posts about how the Clippers have still been an elite offensive team in their elimination series, but their defence has basically been “worst in the league” level in these series.

I’d also say they’re magnified, because in certain series (e.g. 2011 Lakers), CP3 comes out with a scintillating performance, and then “cools down” towards the end of the series. He’s still normally very, very good, but not quite as good as he sometimes performs at the start of a series. For this reason, I think some of his series are labelled as choke jobs/more winnable than they really should be, simply because he’s performed at such high levels at certain points in the series that people expect this to be emulated every single game, and every single moment. And sometimes, these expectations are simply far too high to reasonably expect of anybody.
It’s also likely magnified because CP3, aside from the 2016 Blazers (where he got injured), has never actually played a team in the playoffs that has won less than 51 games, so some of these series go unnoticed.

Are there moments that he’s choked? Sure. Are there are few series that he could have won that he didn’t? Sure, and there are a couple of times (2008 Spurs, 2014 Thunder) where there’s a very good chance that the series could have been won, or changed, had CP3 played better at certain moments. But it’s just as likely that without CP3’s play, his teams never reach that point in the first place.

So, really, there are series that CP3 could have won that he didn’t, but at the same time, I’m not sure that some of these series really receive a fair critique, given how well that he has had to play in order to bring his team to that point in the first place.

Apologies for formatting - blatant copy/paste there.

That’s a lot to read, and basically, it reads like this – there have absolutely been moments where CP3 has played poorly at crucial junctions. There have been moments where he has played brilliantly, and the odds were simply against him. There have been moments where he has been injured. But, I’m fairly adamant in believing that luck (and the ragtag western conference) has been a huge factor that has hampered his playoff success.

After all, CP3 has only played three and a half playoff games against a team that has won fewer than 51 games, ever. The 3.5 games he played were against Portland in 2016, where he and Blake were injured in game 4 and missed the rest of the series. In Magic’s fabled 1987 season, he played teams that won 37, 42 (on a -2.54 SRS) and 39 games before making the finals. That is a large, large dissonance, and it's the type of difference that can greatly affect team results. Heck, Kidd is often credited for his 2 finals runs in 2002 and 2003 (and rightfully so, because he was a big part of it) but he did not play a single eastern conference team that actually had a win total matching any single team that CP3 has ever played in the playoffs, ever! (sans Portland)

I’d like to repeat one notion that I brought up that really makes me think twice about the criticisms levelled CP3’s way – his “aggression” which is so frequently brought up.

CP3 was berated in the 2015 conference finals for letting the series slip away in the last 3 games, where he averaged 26-10. He was lauded for his aggression vs the Spurs, where he averaged 23-8. In the elusive game 7 (known as one of the “big game moments” in his career), he only took 13 shots, well below his playoff average. He took 4 free throws. He had only 6 assists. In other words, he was 3.4 assists below his career playoff average, 3.1 shots and 1.1 free throws below his career FGA and FTA averages. But, he shot 5/6 from 3, hit a couple of big shots and the Clippers won by 2 points in a dramatic fashion vs the defending champs, so it’s now an aggressive, big time performance.

Is there really such a discernible positive difference from how he approached the Spurs compared to how he’s approached his other postseason opposition? Honestly… there isn’t, IMO. And considering how widespread this sort of opinion is, it demonstrates just how much winning bias is at play within our perceptions. If CP3 shoots 4/6 (still an excellent percentage) in that final Spurs game, he is no longer throwing in a clutch performance, but rather, the narrative morphs to, “he only took 13 shots in a 1 point, game 7 playoff loss.” And that’s honestly why over time, this individual series has actually pushed me away from resonating with the playoff results criticism from CP3 – I’m not really a winning bias fan, and that’s exactly where I feel the attitudes to CP3’s playoff career largely stem from.

How about how he has performed in close/significant games?

In elimination/closeout games for his career in the playoffs –
20.4 PPG, 9.7 AST, 2.3 STL, 2.7 TO, 56.3 TS%

In all games –
21.4 PPG, 9.4 AST, 2.2 STL, 2.7 TO, 58.5 TS%

So, he’s shooting slightly worse (but still clearly above average) in elimination and closeout games, but the rest of his stats are… almost identical, once again.

How about clutch stats?

I haven’t added the 2016-17 numbers to my personal stats, but CP3 has averaged 26.9 PP 36 minutes in the regular season (58.0 TS%) and 26.7 PP 36 (58.3 TS%) in the playoffs prior to last season. Considering that he creates so many of his own shots, his ability as a scorer in the clutch are actually quite noteworthy. These are the numbers for his entire career, not just an arbitrarily defined prime!

Honestly, almost any variable I choose to employ shows very little difference in terms of performance for CP3 depending on the severity of the scenario. His regular season/playoff box scores are highly comparable. His elimination game statistics don’t show any large scale drop off at all. Things such as his win probability once factoring in scoring margin, his close game performance (i.e. clutch stats) all seem to show a very similar story – CP3 doesn’t hit a magical new level in the clutch (certainly not like the way, say, Isiah Thomas seems infinitely better in the playoffs than in the regular season) but his performance, across the board, tends to be highly resilient. And the largest sample baseline we have for his performance (his regular season box score + impact) is incredible.

I get the idea of knocking him for injuries – he does get injured quite a bit, and that’s something that’s going to reduce his career value. But when he’s playing, he’s unreal. And that's why I'm picking him.

My next pick is Stockton. The debate between him and Paul is really, really hard for me - Paul's the clearly better player for me, but Stockton has clearly better longevity. I'm severely in two minds between these guys.

After this, I'm leaning towards Pettit, and giving Wade and Nash a serious look. Mikan is somewhere in the mix too.

So in summation -

#21 - Chris Paul
#22 - John Stockton

I'd like to also add - much of the discussion in the previous thread on CP3 spoke about whether or not he was being aggressive enough in the playoffs.

Most of the statistics out there (e.g. the clutch statistics LA Bird posted, his 4th quarter career playoff statistics, elimination game statistics) actually paint him in a very positive light in this respect. And even in the series in which he's been eliminated, his team ORTG has generally been strong. Looking at series that he has lost, but he has played well (08 Spurs, 11 Lakers, 13 Grizzlies, 14 Thunder, 15 Rockets, 17 Jazz), his team has an average ORTG of +5.7. The 11 Lakers series (+0.9) is literally the only playoff series where his team didn't play, at the minimum, very good offence (the next lowest is +4.6, against the Jazz), but when Carl Landry and Trevor Ariza are the #2 and #3 scorers on that team, that should hardly be considered a knock on Paul.

I get that his playing style might be conducive to acquiring more complementary offensive pieces, rather than a guy like Wade (who is more of a, "get out of my way and let me score") type guy, but the defence that the Clippers have played in the playoffs have been nothing short of appalling at times. Absolutely appalling. Heck, even in his heavily-lauded Spurs series, the Clippers offence was +6.0 - this is almost exactly in line with what Paul has been doing in series in which they've lost. I still get the vibe that with the amount of credit going to series like this, and the amount being ignored in certain other junctions of his career, there is a bit too much philosophical reasoning being concocted to try and justify the wins and losses.

And heck, even looking at, say, Wade, his team in the 2006 Mavs finals series wound up with a -4 ORTG. Wade, of course, did just enough to take the series, but the Miami defence/poor shooting of the Mavs is ridiculously underplayed. People have mentioned that other players in contention (e.g. Wade, who was just voted in) took series by the throat, and he absolutely did, but the play of the individual star is just one factor. The team matters more than we often want the team to matter.

Senior alluded to a comparison to Isiah Thomas, whose team success improved when throwing more defensively minded players around him. I kind of wish this happened around CP3 - he's a good enough and IMO, underrated scorer, and good at facilitating limited offensive players (Mbah a Moute, Chandler, even Jordan to an extent) who place more of an impact on defence than offence. He's also a real good defender himself - for all the glamorising of the Clippers, the team had a lot of weaknesses that kind of get swept under the rug. I think people overblow his size - it's true that a "contested shot" from Paul might not mean as much as it does from a larger player, but he is so pesky on defence that he's still got really heavy impact. Even in the series against Westbrook in 2014 - the percentage of contested jumpers Westbrook took went from something like 41% in the regular season to 64% in the playoffs! His eFG% on uncontested jumpers went up 8% - don't have the numbers on me but I remember that it was the uncontested jumpers that really made a dramatic difference to his efficiency, as well as interior shooting percentages (which reflect just as much on Jordan as Paul). Westbrook playing at an incredible level would have happened against practically anybody.

I feel like his lack of "glamorous" playing style, as well as his size, actually underrate him visually - the team offence and defence both scale up dramatically with Paul. So when coupled with his lack of playoff success, his excellence gets downplayed a bit more than it should.

Vote 2 - Bob Pettit - had some awesome all-star longevity himself. 10 years of being an elite player is probably the best we've got remaining.

therealbig3 wrote:...

I think I actually agree with you on Durant - I think that he's a really good, top 5ish player, but I agree that his box score stats are somewhat misleading WRT his impact, especially in his first 5 or so years in the league.

His box score looks terrific, but even glancing at the box score, he had an assist/turnover ratio < 1 for the first 5 years in the league. For all of his individual scoring excellence, there's actual box score evidence that showcases that for much of his career, Durant has struggled as a shot creator for his teammates. It's improved in recent years, but in say, years 3-5 of his career, I think he wasn't quite as good as a general glance at the box score implied on offence. And RAPM bears this out - it's certainly possible that RAPM is underrating him, but even in recent years with his improvement as a passer, Durant hasn't really dominated offensive RAPM the way we'd expect it to from his box scores.

I think his defence is a bit overrated too - his general defensive impact is in the "above average, but comfortably away from elite range." He's played some terrific defence at certain junctions before, and his isolation defence is very good, but I do think that the reputation as a defender is a bit higher than his actual results (I suppose isolation defence + absurd length and athleticism will increase this reputation)
I use a lot of parentheses when I post (it's a bad habit)

Return to Player Comparisons