18. David Robinson
19. Charles Barkley
20. Moses Malone
21. John Stockton
22. Dwyane Wade
23. Chris Paul
24. ???

OK, go.
Even though I'll not be lending my votes to George Mikan yet, I almost want him to win, just because it feels like he lost a marginal vote on a technicality. And I'm starting to feel sorry for penbeast0 et al who keep voting for him. :(

eminence wrote:.

penbeast0 wrote:.

Clyde Frazier wrote:.

PaulieWal wrote:.

Colbinii wrote:.

Texas Chuck wrote:.

drza wrote:.

Dr Spaceman wrote:.

fpliii wrote:.

euroleague wrote:.

pandrade83 wrote:.

Hornet Mania wrote:.

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:.

SactoKingsFan wrote:.

Blackmill wrote:.

JordansBulls wrote:.

RSCS3_ wrote:.

BasketballFan7 wrote:.

micahclay wrote:.

ardee wrote:.

RCM88x wrote:.

Tesla wrote:.

Joao Saraiva wrote:.

LA Bird wrote:.

MyUniBroDavis wrote:.

kayess wrote:.

2klegend wrote:.

MisterHibachi wrote:.

70sFan wrote:.

mischievous wrote:.

Doctor MJ wrote:.

Dr Positivity wrote:.

Jaivl wrote:.

Bad Gatorade wrote:.

andrewww wrote:.

colts18 wrote:.

Moonbeam wrote:.

Cyrusman122000 wrote:.

Winsome Gerbil wrote:.

Narigo wrote:.

wojoaderge wrote:.

TrueLAfan wrote:.

90sAllDecade wrote:.

Outside wrote:.

scabbarista wrote:.

janmagn wrote:.

lebron3-14-3 wrote:.

Arman_tanzarian wrote:.

oldschooled wrote:.

Pablo Novi wrote:.

john248 wrote:.

mdonnelly1989 wrote:.

Senior wrote:.

twolves97 wrote:.

CodeBreaker wrote:.

JoeMalburg wrote:.

dhsilv2 wrote:.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Re: RealGM 2017 Top 100 List: #24 

Post#2 » by Winsome Gerbil » Fri Aug 4, 2017 11:36 pm

I'll just reiterate my opinion: Chris Paul is a bit of a paper tiger. Talent, and more importantly cute little advanced stats that have been apropos of very little. But no mojo behind it. He's done nothing legendary, and we're still working in the range of legends.

Since neither of these guys got taken last time, I guess I stay with:

24: Mikan
25: Petit

Although I have noticed an unexpected thing on this board in the last year: despite the putative on and off respect for defense, Scottie Pippen is actually getting a bit underrated/forgotten about. Which is pretty remarkable really.
JoeMalburg
Pro Prospect
And1: 520

Post#3 » by JoeMalburg » Fri Aug 4, 2017 11:46 pm

Winsome Gerbil wrote:I'll just reiterate my opinion: Chris Paul is a bit of a paper tiger. Talent, and more importantly cute little advanced stats that have been apropos of very little. But no mojo behind it. He's done nothing legendary, and we're still working in the range of legends.

I very much agree. And I think this is a simple but extremely important sentiment that many of the sharpest, most critical thinkers on this board have either lost sight of or are willingly dismissing or overlooking.

There needs to be results to verify the greatness the numbers suggest at this point of the project. And though it's a personal sentiment, I'll hold strong to the belief that what actually happened always trumps what should have or what the numbers suggest was most likely.

I'll add that what's most frustrating for the Mikan/Pettit contingent seeing the last three rounds unfold is that the vast majority of those voting against the old school guys seem unwilling to consider/engage on the players were voting for. It's a couple sentences dismissing their results as dated, insufficient or incomplete.

Following Emersons advice that the journey not the destination is the true reward, I don't think the results cheapen the project, it's very worthwhile, but a bit more open mindedness is called for I believe.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#4 » by JordansBulls » Fri Aug 4, 2017 11:51 pm

1st Vote: George Mikan - 2nd all time in Playoff PER and a 5x time champion
2nd Vote: Clyde Drexler
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
mischievous
General Manager
And1: 3,482

Post#5 » by mischievous » Fri Aug 4, 2017 11:58 pm

Paul went way too high.
pandrade83
Starter
And1: 604

Post#6 » by pandrade83 » Sat Aug 5, 2017 12:04 am

Much of last time is the same - some tweaks have been made to acknowledge some good insights from TRex & address some of the Durant criticism from last time. The only thing I'm going to preface with is regarding Pettit and it's based on some comments I saw from the Pettit supporters that I felt needed addressed:

Through 4 games - when Russell sprained his ankle in the '58 Finals, the series against Pettit's Hawks was tied. Boston had a 7.5 per game point differential. Obviously anything could happen, but Pettit didn't REALLY beat Russell; this is a distinction I want to make sure people are aware of vs. just seeing Pettit got a ring against the '58 Celtics. If it doesn't impact your vote, I can respect that.

My Top 2 Point Guards left: Steph/Payton
My Top 2 wing/forwards left: Durant/Pettit
My Top 2 Centers left: Ewing/Mikan full disclosure - I grew up a Knicks fan. :banghead: :roll:

Kevin Durant is great. He really is. For a second, I was worried he would be the Drexler to Lebron. I'm glad he's became so much more (and that's not an insult to Drexler). I loved that he figured out in the Finals that he is the best center in the league because he is the evolution of where that position is going. I loved that he really took his defensive game to another level this year. I loved that he went right at Lebron in the Finals. I sincerely believe he has the potential to become a Top 10 GOAT player and pass Bird. If he doesn't get injured those two years (I really believe OKC wins the '13 title if he doesn't get hurt), the narrative changes and he's in the Top 20. He's still "only" 44th in Win Shares, "only" 33rd in VORP, I think he will get to where he is going. He's a situation where the RPAM stats are wrong. Some things that highlight his impact:

- > 60% TS every year since '12 on >25 ppg every year during that time span. That's amazing efficiency - better than Dirk - who got all kinds of love earlier.
- A strong playmaker on top of his deadly efficiency - hovering at or around 5 apg since '13; that's why his TOV rate hovers around 12.
- OKC falls from 2nd in offensive efficiency to 16th once he departs
- GS improves from -2.6 to -4.8 on Defense this year. I know some are saying his D Impact is questionable and his career advanced stats are middling but I believe that's due to the context of the team; the improvement when he arrived in GS is material.
-His '13/'14/'16 playoffs have been criticized as "under-performing". In '13, he got 31-9-6, '14 he got 30-9-4 & '16 he got 28-7-3. He scored pretty efficiently in all 3 of those playoffs with the potential exception of '16 where he only shot 54% TS.

Patrick Ewing anchored a defense that was best in the league for 3 straight years and Top 4 for nearly a decade. He forced MJ into a Game 7, and had MJ down 2-0 in '93. Everyone holds the '94 Finals over his head - what is forgotten is that he set the Finals blocks record in that series. He never won the big one and has some memorable defeats - but even in defeat he was a monster ('95 Gm 7 vs Indy, '97 Gm 7 vs. Miami, '92/'93 series vs. Chicago). He was what got them over the hump ('90 vs. Boston, '92 vs. Detroit) and he never played with another player in their prime who will sniff this list. It's unfortunate that he never quite got a chip - his offensive deficiencies had a way of showing up at the worst times.

Steph: Right with Durant, he has the potential to be an all time Top 10 player. Every metric that you'd want is there - he's also the only multiple time MVP with a title against quality* (see my Pettit post for the disclaimer) competition left. The only reason he's not higher is the years aren't there - yet.

Mikan: I need to reconcile the fact that at peak, for his era his impact is as great as anyone's - but the era he played in would probably get taken to the cleaners by the ACC - even after nutrition/medical benefits are applied. I have him slotted as my next Center to get my support after Ewing is in.

Point Guards: I need to do more work here; 1 or 2 more good years from Steph & he probably passes Pettit - but I'm not ready to put him in over Ewing - yet - nor do I feel that way about any of the other point guards. More to come.

Pettit: Very impressive for his era and for his era, I think you can definitely argue he did more than Durant. His era was just a lot weaker than Durant's. His prime held up well - no "hanging on" years - 10 really good seasons. Held his own against Baylor/West just fine, worked with Hagan to knock off Russell's Celtics (albeit Russell only played 4 games) and was the best player in that series - dropped 50 in the final game. He held up very well even after Chamberlain & Russell joined the league & the league became progressively more athletic. He's a little bit lucky to get his chip - but that's part of how things go - ultimately he did get the chip and he DID anchor the league's best offense until the Big O & West came around. He'd be my 2nd choice here except for 1) the whole 50's thing & 2) I don't put as much stock in titles won from that era unless you beat one of Pettit, Russell, Chamberlain, West/Baylor, Robertson to do so. And he didn't actually BEAT Russell - that series was tied - but Boston had a massive point differential edge and nearly won Games 5 & 6 which lead me to believe that the Celtics would've won. Trex did a great post about the history of the early part of the league which makes me think that the quality of the league in '58 was materially better than what Mikan faced - but the base of Mikan's league was so poor I consider it to be worse than the best college conferences. By the time Pettit got his chip, it's evolved past that - but still very weak overall. I'll be voting for him before Mikan because of how he held up in a league that had those elite players in it - whereas I don't even think Mikan does that well if he is transported just 10 years ahead.

More to come on why I have GP this high as we get closer to the point where he's actually on my ballot; right now there's not a need to write about it.

1st choice: Kevin Durant
Alternate Selection: Patrick Ewing
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,265

Post#7 » by trex_8063 » Sat Aug 5, 2017 1:05 am

I'm again going with Patrick Ewing as my top pick.

*Amazing defensive center who anchored TWO of the eight best defenses EVER. How dominant were those defenses? Well, they led the league in both DREB% and Opp eFG% (the two FF components that a center has the most imprint on) BOTH years. Career avg of 2.4 bpg, excellent team defender, very good pnr defender (better than Hakeem, imo, up until his lateral mobility went to hell).
**Simultaneously was a much better than average offensive center who averaged 21 ppg @ 55.3% TS for his seventeen year career (though struggled a pinch in the playoffs at times). In the TEN years from '88-'97, he avg 24.0 ppg @ 56.3% TS (fwiw, over that same span he avg 22.5 ppg @ 52.8% TS in the playoffs).
***Still came close to a title once or twice (as well as taking the '92 Bulls to seven games) despite never in his prime playing with any other player who will even get a mention in this top 100 project.
****Excellent longevity, roughly 10-year prime, 15 years as a relevant player in the league.

I'm kinda stuck on who to go with for my 2nd pick. I'm leaning mostly toward Kevin Durant or Bob Pettit (maybe leaning slightly toward Pettit, if for no other reason out of a sense of fairness given how much support he had in the last thread); Pippen, Nash, as well as Hondo getting consideration, too. The 23-29 range on my ATL is very fluid; I never land on an order that I'm happy with for too long.

Tentatively, I'll go with this:

1st vote: Patrick Ewing
2nd vote: Bob Pettit
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,407

Post#8 » by Hornet Mania » Sat Aug 5, 2017 1:28 am

My first vote is the same as last round, but the Pettit supporters have turned me so he has leapfrogged Baylor for my alternate vote. A lot of strong arguments but the point that stuck with me most was how the Lakers suffered far more without West than when they were without Baylor. I had generally been of the opinion West was only marginally better (and to be honest, I had some suspicion West may have been considered "better" to many observers in that era because he was white. Cynical, I know, but it was the 60s) but obviously if this is not the case he doesn't have that extra edge over Pettit who was my next man up.

24. Patrick Ewing
Alt vote: Bob Pettit
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,536

Post#9 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Aug 5, 2017 1:37 am

Thoughts on Pettit, Mikan, Nash, Durant, Baylor, Curry, Ewing, Pippen, Isiah, Havlicek from last thread:

Spoiler:
Bob Pettit - Case for: Considered legit megastar status in his time, 2x MVP. Solid longevity, an all-star for all his 11 seasons and in his prime for roughly 9 of those. Excellent rebounder. Likely posted outstanding offensive rebound numbers. ATG great big at getting to line. Floor spacing big. Solid playoff performer including big performance to win title. Still a superstar in early-mid 60s, which likely means he’d have translated to late 60s and expansion diluted 70s. Great intangibles, played hard every single minute and great toughness. Slightly above average defense at a big man position would still add value. Case against: Scoring efficiency for his era is above average but not freakish. Doesn’t appear to be an elite defender. Lacks post prime years. An offensive driven player at big man which is a less offensive position than perimeter players in contention here.

George Mikan - Case for: Dominance in his time is only matched by players in the top 5. Including his NBL years, has a 8 year competitive prime longevity to other candidates here. The best defensive player in the league at the most defensive position C. Did everything you could ask him to do. Case against: Benefitted from lesser competition and unrefined style of game. Even within the shotclock era, peaked earlier when the competition was presumably worse. Not a perfect offensive player of his era. Plays least offensive position in C and passed by pre shot clock players offensively such as Cousy, pre war Arizin, Johnston. When taking into account weaker competition, may have one of weaker offensive cases in contention for this spot.

Steve Nash - Case for: As with Pettit, rated a legit superstar in his prime as shown by multiple MVPs. Has a reasonable 8 seasons of longevity in Phoenix alone. Spectacular ORAPM in Phoenix, elite offensive player at most offensive position PG. Makes All-NBA teams in Dallas so those are hardly irrelevant years. Good portability, great intangibles. Quality playoff performer. Case against: A weak defender, hurts even at PG. RAPM lukewarm on Dallas version which hurts overall superstar longevity. In Phoenix not an elite overall boxscore performer, with WS and BPM not supporting his case as a superstar.

Kevin Durant - Case for: Elite, MVP caliber peak. ATG portability, due to both his off ball game and defensive potential when he is able to save energy. Good teammate. Good playoff performer including big Finals MVP performance. Good playmaker and rebounder. Case against: Removing first two years where his impact stats sucked and his foot injury year, a little light in longevity side in 7 other seasons. Not truly embraced by RAPM/RPM compared to his boxscore stats.

Elgin Baylor - Case for: Huge peak for his time as a scorer, rebounder and passer. In his prime a good playoff performer and a shot from carrying Lakers to championship in 62. Continued to be rated as an all-star, 1st team All NBA and top 10 MVP vote guy the rest of the 60s with rebounding and passing helping make up for shooting efficiency. Case against: Prime cut short at about 4 years due to injury. Declines after his injury and while continues to be an all-star, never ranks in top 10 in WS again after 63 due to shooting % issues. Takes a lot of shots on a team with a better offensive player.

Stephen Curry - Case for: Arguably the best peak left on the board. Truly amazing offensive impact in his prime years due to the floor warping impact of his shooting along with his boxscore production. The most valuable player on 2 champions. Solid defender. Great intangibles. Case against: Very weak longevity compared to other candidates. About 4 season prime, 3 at best player in the league level. Wasn’t his GOAT level regular season self in the 2016 playoffs possibly due to injury. Not much defensive impact between good not great play, and playing PG.

Patrick Ewing - Case for: Great defensive center at the most defensive position gives him high baseline of value. Solid decade long prime and a good player as a rookie on. Made it to Game 7 of Finals with pretty weak team and overall had bad luck running into Jordan Bulls. High effort level, the sweat gawd. Some floor spacing value. Case against: Not a natural offensive player at least offensive position. Mediocre passer. Despite solid offensive numbers, few believe in his impact on that end.

Scottie Pippen - Case for: All time great wing defender at a position with solid defensive value gives him a baseline. Players who dribble and pass well for their position tend to have quality offensive value. Solid longevity. Quality playoff performer. Without Jordan put up a great season and was in MVP convo. Good portability, he played beside a star who he wasn't a good fit with offensively and still had a terrific career. Has good ORAPM in late 90s, defense rated as ok but at his age a decline is probably expected. Case against: Rated on tier below MVP level players on his time by peers and the ultimate "2nd banana". Good not elite scorer and overall offensive skillset.

Isiah Thomas - Case for: Great playoff performer who coming up big had a lot to do with Detroit 2x titles. Plays high value offensive role as high assist creating guard. At peak is rated by peers as the 2nd best PG in the game hands down. Is credited with helping make Detroit into a winner culturally. Ability to create his own shot useful at end of game and big playoff moments. Case against: Mediocre efficiency and turnover prone. Non elite defender. His role as "alpha on a champion" is not supported by either the stats or award voting whether he barely makes a blip in either MVP or All-NBA despite MVP voting typically being all over the best offensive player on the best team. Idea that he tanked his mid 80s form to fit in his team doesn't show up in stats as he continued to shoot as much in championship years.

John Havlicek - Case for: Elite, Stockton-esque longevity and durability. Great portability as he played multiple roles in support during Russell era to star on his own team. Great defender at a solid defensive position, and good passer. Great intangibles and all time effort level on the court guy to set an example. Decorated big game playoff career. Case against: Not rated an MVP caliber player in his own time peaking at 4th/5th, and Cowens was considered best player of the title teams. His 28-29ppg seasons are highly inflated by pace and minutes. Per possession they're sub peak Pippen and Marion in scoring volume. Scoring efficiency concerns throughout his career.

I find it near impossible to pick between this group, but Pettit has a quality decade of longevity and reached best offensive player in the league level between his scoring, floor spacing, and I'm going to say a likely top 3-5 offensive rebounder in history between his TRB, Pettit claiming it was the thing he did the best, and being known for having A+ motor. He played until 65 at which point the condensed league makes up for smaller talent pool.

My 2nd pick is between Nash and Durant. Both awards voting and impact stats suggest Nash as an elite player and he has a solid 8 years in Phoenix plus his Dallas years and great intangibles. I am a little surprised he isn't getting more play here. Durant is also an MVP at his peak and has high playoff moments. I can see the case for him here but I felt Pettit and Nash's longevity was better and not convinced enough peak Durant is better

Vote: Bob Pettit

2nd: Steve Nash
andrewww
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#10 » by andrewww » Sat Aug 5, 2017 1:40 am

Vote: Kevin Durant
Alternate: Bob Pettit

Given the serious candidates at this spot (Durant/Pettit/Ewing/Mikan/Nash/Curry/Baylor/Isiah), I am of the opinion that KD was simply the best player in the group. As an impact two way player in the mold of a poor man's David Robinson, I must give Ewing his props but relative to his era, Pettit was more dominant. Though I must say, I feel Curry's impact is simply on another level compared to Pettit/Mikan/Ewing once he puts together a few more prime years. Given their style of play and impact being relatively similar to weight on defense vs offense, I think Pippen deserves a few more mentions if Ewing is going to be discussed.

Nash is also an interesting case because I happen to think his peak was superior to that of Paul who just got voted in. More legendary performances in big moments from Nash resonate with me over Paul. Nash really has played on championship caliber teams like the 2007 and 2010 Suns (especially 2007). They're up there with the 2002 Kings as the best teams that never won, and I dont think any other PG in history could have done what he did with that cast other than Magic/Oscar/Paul when discussing skill set. Not once did I think Nash cost his team a playoff series during those prime years.

EDIT: Baylor and Isiah deserve discussion too. In fact, understanding how the 60s players were viewed makes it difficult not to have him as alternate selection. However, I am holding off on this as I believe Pettit was superior to the other two bigs being considered.
drza
Analyst
And1: 1,852

Post#11 » by drza » Sat Aug 5, 2017 1:48 am

andrewww wrote:Vote: Kevin Durant

Given the four serious candidates at this spot, I am of the opinion that KD was simply the best player in the group. As an impact two way player in the mold of a poor man's David Robinson, my second vote goes to Pat. Relative to his era, Pettit was perhaps more dominant but in the toughest era of centers, Ewing held his own too. Though I must say, I feel Curry's impact is simply on another level compared to Pettit/Mikan/Ewing once he puts together a few more prime years.

Your 2nd vote and your description, I don't' believe. You say 2nd is Pat, but wrote Petit. Not big deal if you changed your mind, just wanted to make sure it wasn't a mistake.
Creator of the Hoops Lab: tinyurl.com/mpo2brj
Contributor to NylonCalculusDOTcom
Contributor to TYTSports: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTbFEVCpx9shKEsZl7FcRHzpGO1dPoimk
Follow on Twitter: @ProfessorDrz
andrewww
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#12 » by andrewww » Sat Aug 5, 2017 1:53 am

drza wrote:
andrewww wrote:Vote: Kevin Durant

Given the four serious candidates at this spot, I am of the opinion that KD was simply the best player in the group. As an impact two way player in the mold of a poor man's David Robinson, my second vote goes to Pat. Relative to his era, Pettit was perhaps more dominant but in the toughest era of centers, Ewing held his own too. Though I must say, I feel Curry's impact is simply on another level compared to Pettit/Mikan/Ewing once he puts together a few more prime years.

Your 2nd vote and your description, I don't' believe. You say 2nd is Pat, but wrote Petit. Not big deal if you changed your mind, just wanted to make sure it wasn't a mistake.

Made a typo as a whole bunch of my thoughts were being typed at the same time :D
wojoaderge
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Post#13 » by wojoaderge » Sat Aug 5, 2017 1:54 am

Not much more to say about George Mikan other than he's my first vote once again. To repeat, no one left on the board was as dominating in his particular time or served as the go-to guy on as championship teams as he did.

1-George Mikan
2-Bob Pettit

I concur with WG, JM, and M. I don't mind Mikan losing that way, I just wish he would have lost to someone who has actually accomplished something, and Chris Paul hasn't accomplished jack, relatively speaking. All he's done is put up a bunch of nice stats for awhile. Artis Gilmore did that too. I would have been happier it was him, at least he won something
"Coach, why don't you just relax? We're not good enough to beat the Lakers. We've had a great year, why don't you just relax and cool down?"
oldschooled
Veteran
And1: 2,702

Post#14 » by oldschooled » Sat Aug 5, 2017 2:01 am

Damn. Chris Paul is your 23rd greatest player of all time gents. Cant believe he leapfrogged multiple MVP winners (Mikan, Pettit, Nash and Curry) and multiple champions. Just wow.
Frank Dux wrote:
LeChosen One wrote:Doc is right. The Warriors shouldn't get any respect unless they repeat to be honest.

According to your logic, Tim Duncan doesn't deserve any respect.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,322

Post#15 » by Clyde Frazier » Sat Aug 5, 2017 2:04 am

trex_8063 wrote:I'm again going with Patrick Ewing as my top pick.

*Amazing defensive center who anchored TWO of the eight best defenses EVER. How dominant were those defenses? Well, they led the league in both DREB% and Opp eFG% (the two FF components that a center has the most imprint on) BOTH years. Career avg of 2.4 bpg, excellent team defender, very good pnr defender (better than Hakeem, imo, up until his lateral mobility went to hell).
**Simultaneously was a much better than average offensive center who averaged 21 ppg @ 55.3% TS for his seventeen year career (though struggled a pinch in the playoffs at times). In the TEN years from '88-'97, he avg 24.0 ppg @ 56.3% TS (fwiw, over that same span he avg 22.5 ppg @ 52.8% TS in the playoffs).
***Still came close to a title once or twice (as well as taking the '92 Bulls to seven games) despite never in his prime playing with any other player who will even get a mention in this top 100 project.
****Excellent longevity, roughly 10-year prime, 15 years as a relevant player in the league.

I'm kinda stuck on who to go with for my 2nd pick. I'm leaning mostly toward Kevin Durant or Bob Pettit (maybe leaning slightly toward Pettit, if for no other reason out of a sense of fairness given how much support he had in the last thread); Pippen, Nash, as well as Hondo getting consideration, too. The 23-29 range on my ATL is very fluid; I never land on an order that I'm happy with for too long.

Tentatively, I'll go with this:

1st vote: Patrick Ewing
2nd vote: Bob Pettit

Vote 1 - Patrick Ewing

Vote 2 - Bob Pettit

Piggybacking on trex's post...

Those knicks teams were built on defense, and while there’s no question ewing had great defensive players around him, he was the anchor nonetheless. NY’s defensive RTG ranks from 92-99:

92 - 2nd
93 - 1st
94 - 1st
95 - 1st
96 - 4th
97 - 2nd
98 - 4th
99 - 4th

Top 5 defense for 8 straight seasons and best in the league for 3 straight? That’s damn impressive any way you slice it. 92 was riley’s first year as head coach, and he found a way to manage all these strong personalities (mason, oakley, mcdaniel, starks, harper, etc.) and help them channel that towards performance on the court.
euroleague
General Manager
And1: 1,869

Post#16 » by euroleague » Sat Aug 5, 2017 2:13 am

PG: Curry, Cousey, Isiah Thomas
SF: Baylor, Durant
C: Mikan

HM: Dominique Wilkins, Ewing

These are the players I'm considering at this position, who have accomplished great things and won in great ways (excepting durant).

While Mikan was dominant, his era was hugely affected by segregation and lack of predecessors- how he would've done against high school Wilt (a 7 foot track athlete) is questionable. Because of his era's weakness, despite his world-changing dominance, I can't rank him in the top 25 - many rookies came in and had immediate league-altering dominance. Mikan's team was challenged in the playoffs quite often, and even without him was a playoff team. His coach is the one who brought Mikan onto the team and encouraged him, Mikan didn't independently conclude his height would allow him to dominate.

Baylor was an elite player, who was in active military service in the middle of an nba season and still led his team in many ways. People saying Jerry West had a far more dominant edge in impact is obviously flawed - Baylor joined the Lakers when they were in last place, and led them to the NBA Finals his rookie year...
The knicks played better without Ewing, and Jerry West was a good leader during Baylor's absence. But Baylor had done amazing things without West already...

Cousey's passing influenced the way the game was played hugely, and he did so in an unconventional way that didn't gain any unfair advantage a la goaltending. He won an MVP as his prime was ending, and his offensive style lives on far past his retirement and beyond his success leading the Celtics pre-Russell (questionable how Russell's passing would've developed without Cousey).

Curry - GOAT level regular season in 2016, derailed by injuries in the post-season. Judging by 2017 when Durant was injured, and the winning streak even without harrison barnes, Curry still is a favorite for best player in the game. Broke many records in dominance both individual and team, don't need to say too much more - huge peak.

Durant - played at an MVP level for many years, should've won in 2016 after Curry was injured except the refs didn't suspend Green for his antics against Steven Adams until the finals against the cavs - so the cavs won for Green's cheap shot on Adams. Thunder were up 3-1 on warriors. Warriors were up 3-1 on cavs. Thunder crushed the spurs with athleticism. Cavs, with KLove/JR Smith, aren't the most athletic. Seems the thunder would be favorites. That would be a legacy changing victory for durant, and propel him much higher than he currently is.

Isiah Thomas may be the most underrated player here. He was challenging the Celtics in 86/87 with a Pistons team that was clearly less talented than the Lakers, and arguably pushed them far harder. Pistons should've 3peated except for a wrong foul call against Kareem in 88. Legendary 55 point performance, had impacts on offense and defense far above his basic stats or even advanced stats. Beat the Celtics, beat the Lakers, beat the Bulls for what should've been 3 straight years in almost all of those teams primes - but still, no recognition. His teammates were Laimbeer, Rodman, etc. with Dumars as his number 2. MJ needed Pippen in his prime to overcome Isiah with Dumars. Bird had McHale, Magic had Worthy and Kareem. People talk about the Pistons as a team, but seem to forget Isiah's role in it.

This being said, I'm gonna change it up a bit as my secondary vote (and primary) don't look to change things here.

#24: Cousey
Alt: Curry
HM: Isiah Thomas, Durant
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,265

Post#17 » by trex_8063 » Sat Aug 5, 2017 2:19 am

euroleague wrote:
HM: Durant

Just out of curiosity, what pushed Baylor (who was your 1st vote last thread, and is still on the table) out of the top 3 for you?

euroleague
General Manager
And1: 1,869

Post#18 » by euroleague » Sat Aug 5, 2017 2:26 am

trex_8063 wrote:
euroleague wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what pushed Baylor (who was your 1st vote last thread, and is still on the table) out of the top 3 for you?

Baylor's dominance is above these three, still, in my rankings. I valued his narrative very highly, previously - however, I feel like there is a lot of support for the narrative of Curry (which I had previously ruled out as homerism) as a GOAT level player who had a great impact on coaching and other team's play, an impact beyond just putting up a ridiculous regular season in 2016. Cousey is obviously huge as the first elite passer.

I would normally have Baylor far higher than this, but I only have two votes. The HMs don't count in the voting, so I'm primarily doing those to preface my future voting and point to players who I think deserve heavy consideration.

Editing in - I included Isiah Thomas, as I think he certainly deserves more consideration at this stage. Can't believe I'm seeing Steve Nash before Isiah Thomas. I also forgot to include Havlicek :o , I'm used to him being off the board by now.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,536

Post#19 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Aug 5, 2017 2:41 am

euroleague wrote:
trex_8063 wrote:
euroleague wrote:

Baylor's dominance is above these three, still, in my rankings. I valued his narrative very highly, previously - however, I feel like there is a lot of support for the narrative of Curry (which I had previously ruled out as homerism) as a GOAT level player who had a great impact on coaching and other team's play, an impact beyond just putting up a ridiculous regular season in 2016. Cousey is obviously huge as the first elite passer.

I would normally have Baylor far higher than this, but I only have two votes. The HMs don't count in the voting, so I'm primarily doing those to preface my future voting and point to players who I think deserve heavy consideration.

Editing in - I included Isiah Thomas, as I think he certainly deserves more consideration at this stage. Can't believe I'm seeing Steve Nash before Isiah Thomas. I also forgot to include Havlicek :o , I'm used to him being off the board by now.

You aren't even considering Pettit? And why not?
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,532

Post#20 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Aug 5, 2017 2:41 am

1. Bob Pettit
10x 1st Team All NBA
1x 2nd Team All NBA
2x MVP
ROY
1 Ring
2 Scoring Championships
1957 NBA Finals – Lost in 7 to the Boston Celtics by 1 point.
Game 7 39 pts 19 rebounds 3 assists 14-34 from the field 11-13 from the line.
Finals Series 30.1 18.3 2.4
1958 NBA Finals – Beat Boston in 6.
Pettit 29.3 17.0 2.2
1960 NBA Finals – Lost to Boston in 7 (beat baylor’s lakers to make the finals)
25.7 14.9 3.6
1961 NBA Finals – Lost to Boston in 5 (beat baylor’s lakers to make finals)
28.4 16.4 3.0

Pettit vs Baylor
Head to head 38-30 regular season and 16-16 in the playoffs.
Pettit vs Russel
Head to head 21-47 regular season and 10-13 in the playoffs.
Pettit vs Wilt
Head to head 33-23 regular season and 3-4 in the playoffs.

The point of all of this is to put Pettit against a guy being considered (Baylor) and against two no question top 10 players for most people here. Pettit absolutely held his own for the most part against players that are already ranked ahead of him. He is the guy who beat the Celtics, injuries to Russel aside, that was a real accomplishment. Next to baylor he had more all nba selections and won 2 MVP’s to Baylor’s 0. He was also top 5 in MVP voting 8 times (He was on also 6th once).

He is 7th all-time in NBA history in PER despite playing in a low efficiency league. He is 12th all-time in WS/48 and ranks 33rd all-time in total winshare despite playing a relatively short career.

This is the most dominate player left outside of Mikan and he went head to head with two of our top 10 players and did pretty well all things considered. If you believe Wilt and Russel are worthy of their top 10 accolades, then I feel that you must have Pettit at or near the top of your list for this next vote.

2. This one is still hard. I however want to take some time to explain away one of the leading candidates here. Ewing being voted in right now is just way too soon.
We are right now nearing the end of the top 25, top 25 should really mean something. These should be dominating players, all of them. I’m not sure we’ve done that completely, but for the most part the peaks of everyone with the exception of Stockton were pretty high (wade for his finals run plus a freaky great year when everyone else had one too is also a bit off but I see his case). Ewing doesn’t really fit with any of these remaining players.
Resume – 1 all nba first team 6 all nba second team. 11x allstar. Rookie of the year. 3x second team all defense. 7 top 10 MVP votes (never higher than 4th place, twice). 0 NBA titles. Took his team to 1 finals. His team made the finals in 99 with him injured.

I am already pretty low on Ewing from the resume alone. That isn’t a top 25 resume. Go look at Pettit’s resume!

We already have placed 3 centers who played against him ahead of him (Hakeem, Robinson, and Shaq). He would be the 4th player from his era to make our list without winning a ring. Unless it is the belief that this was the greatest era of basketball by a margin, none of this is passing my smell test. Unlike Stockton he doesn’t have elite longevity. Advanced stats don’t seem to love him. Never made top 5 in PER, BPM, or WS/48. His highest VORP was 8th in the league, best WS was 6th.

Were his teams just bad? He played a long stretch of his career with Mark Jackson who is 4th all-time in assists. He had a solid shooting guard in John Starks. Charles Oakley was a well thought of defensive power forward who he played most of his career with. Basically, he had some pretty good guys who made an all-star game or two, maybe made an all-defensive team. Hakeem didn’t really have better. Robinson didn’t really have better until Duncan. Barkley didn’t get better until phoenix (I’m not counting his first few years). He also had a hall of fame all-time great coach in Pat Riley. Perhaps he didn’t have the best roster/team, but I can’t look at the talent and compare him to his peers and think he was really working with a sub par level team.

So I have to ask those voting Ewing to explain how a guy who was never a serious MVP candidate, made 1 first team all-nba, and was never a top 5 guy in the analytics be called a top 25 all-time player?

My vote will go again to Nash for second. I’d be open to changing this if someone can compel me that there’s a better direction. 3 first team selections, 2 MVPs, and most importantly is a modern player who directly lead to real changes in the game. No titles, but at least he’s a no title guy from a different era. He played in a very strong western conference with Duncan and Shaq trading titles through most of his career. Then Kobe landed Gasol to keep that door closed. He also gets some credit for longevity at the point guard spot which outside of Kidd and Stockton tends to be position where careers don’t last.

Return to Player Comparisons