Pablo Novi
Senior
And1: 233

Re: Top 25 players of all time based on MVP shares 

Post#61 » by Pablo Novi » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:40 am

penbeast0 wrote:
Pablo Novi wrote:...

2) I've also added a note about #6, Jerry West based on four things:
a) a quote from Gail Goodrich, who said (paraphrased slightly) : "When we played together, I was the Point Guard & Jerry West was the Shooting Guard". (They played together for about half of Jerry West's seasons);
c) Jerry's stats were more SG-like than PG-like, imo; ...

West played 13.5 seasons in the NBA; 6.5 with Goodrich (a bit less than half) and Goodrich was a reserve for 3 of those 6.5 (behind Walt Hazzard and Archie Clark as well as West). Of the 3 full seasons Goodrich started next to West, he had half West's assist average in 1971 (4.8 to 9.5), less than half in 72 (4.5 to 9.7), and half again in 73 (4.4 to 8.8) . . . while playing close to equal minutes and scoring nearly as much. West was 4th, led the league, and would have been 2nd in assists/game if he hadn't missed games during those three years he played with Goodrich starting next to him.

In other words, this sounds like a bunch of hooey. I'd like to see the actual quote (maybe, I sometimes played PG when playing next to Jerry West which would be accurate) but every piece of evidence that we have shows West as the primary ballhandler and playmaker or, as we call it, point guard.

West led the Lakers in assists/game for every year of his career except his rookie year (more so than Magic Johnson for example who played off guard next to Norm Nixon until the Lakers dealt Nixon for Byron Scott) although the Laker system used both guards as ballhandler and shared playmakers . . . nearly up until the Goodrich years. Goodrich may have had the least PG responsibilities of any starting Laker guard during West's career though he did play PG in Phoenix.

I KNOW I read the quote from Gail saying that when he played with West, Gail was the PG - but I can't find it. btw, I said, " (They played together for about half of Jerry West's seasons);" so I don't get why YOU are making a big "hooey" about it being slightly less than half?
Here's the first FOUR sites I found when looking for either Goodrich or West - BOTH call Gail the PG and West the SG. There's TONS more. Again so I don't get why YOU are making a big "hooey" about it?

#1: "Top 5 Point Guards in Lakers History
By Ramneet Singh -
04/03/2012

2: Gail Goodrich

Hall-of-Famer Gail Goodrich comes in at number two for his incredible career with the Los Angeles Lakers. Goodrich is one of the few players to have his jersey retired with the Lakers and was a member of the 1972 title team. He was the leading scorer on that team, beating out all-time greats like Wilt Chamberlain and Jerry West.

Goodrich was a native of Los Angeles and he had a nine season tenure with the Lakers. Goodrich averaged 19 points per game in his time with the Lakers and is no doubt one of the most underrated players in franchise history.

Not many people understand what Goodrich did for the Lakers and despite being an intricate part of the team’s 1972 title team, observes still question who number 25 is ranging in the rafters.

There may be those who think Goodrich was more of a shooting guard than a point guard, but since his greatest moments came will playing point with Jerry West, he makes this list rather than our shooting guard list."
-------------
#2: https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/10-of-the-greatest-nba-shooting-guards-of-all-time.html/?a=viewall
Here West is ranked All-Time SG #3 (after MJ and Kobe - exactly the same as I have them).
--------
#3: from ESPN: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/nbarankSGs/ranking-top-10-shooting-guards-ever
"3. Jerry West
Focus on Sport/Getty Images

Teams
Los Angeles Lakers (1960-1974)

Honors
Finals MVP (1969), 14-time All-Star, 12-time All-NBA selection, five-time All-D selection, Hall of Fame

Championships
1 (1972)

Career stats
27.0 PPG, 6.7 APG, 2.6 SPG, .474 FG%

The player
A legendary performer in the postseason, West averaged 40.6 points per game in the 1965 playoffs (Jordan is the only other player in NBA history to average 40 points per game for an entire postseason) and remains the only player from a losing team to win Finals MVP (in 1969). -- Adams

Consider how great you have to be to earn a reputation as one of the best clutch performers ever despite your team losing eight times in nine trips to the Finals. Only West could do it. -- Pelton

What amazes me most about West is how he switched to point guard late in his career ... and led the league in assist average. -- Doolittle

As relentlessly competitive and prolific as Jordan; there's a reason West's silhouette is the NBA's logo. -- Peterson"
-----
#4 http://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/the-greatest-shooting-guards-in-nba-history?utm_expid=16418821-321.JB5yr2hCTp2WeaBHXzLclg.0&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fduckduckgo.com%2F
This is a fan-based vote; they have Jerry West 9th SG in history.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,523

Post#62 » by dhsilv2 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:51 am

I reduced the value of ABA MVP award share. I just halved it. Anyway this is the new list

Rank Player
1 Michael Jordan*
2 LeBron James
3 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar*
4 Larry Bird*
5 Magic Johnson*
6 Bill Russell*
7 Shaquille O'Neal*
8 Karl Malone*
9 Tim Duncan
10 Kobe Bryant
11 Wilt Chamberlain*
12 David Robinson*
13 Kevin Durant
14 Moses Malone*
15 Kevin Garnett
16 Bob Pettit*
17 Hakeem Olajuwon*
18 Julius Erving*
19 Oscar Robertson*
20 Charles Barkley*
21 Steve Nash
22 Stephen Curry
23 Jerry West*
24 Dirk Nowitzki
25 Chris Paul

That's seriously a shockingly good list. I believe of the 25 all of them made the top 30 in the rankings being done here.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#63 » by penbeast0 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:51 am

I'm not saying people don't say it . . . I'm saying they are wrong. West shared the starting backcourt with Goodrich for 3 full seasons (plus a half in his final year). West got over twice the assists per game that Goodrich did when they were playing similar minutes and even scoring at a reasonable similar rate. West even led the league in assists. How the heck does that make Goodrich the PG?

That's like calling Magic the SG and Byron Scott the PG on those Lakers teams . . . . which no one does even though Scott is closer to the PG role than Goodrich (at least Scott consistently guards the smaller quicker guard so he's the PG defensively, Lakers switched that up). I don't know how this myth got started but agree that you hear it from people a lot; maybe because Oscar and West were always the starting All-NBA guards and Oscar was setting the all-time assist records (pre-Stockton of course).
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
mysticOscar
Starter
And1: 1,541

Post#64 » by mysticOscar » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:48 am

dhsilv2 wrote:I reduced the value of ABA MVP award share. I just halved it. Anyway this is the new list

Rank Player
1 Michael Jordan*
2 LeBron James
3 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar*
4 Larry Bird*
5 Magic Johnson*
6 Bill Russell*
7 Shaquille O'Neal*
8 Karl Malone*
9 Tim Duncan
10 Kobe Bryant
11 Wilt Chamberlain*
12 David Robinson*
13 Kevin Durant
14 Moses Malone*
15 Kevin Garnett
16 Bob Pettit*
17 Hakeem Olajuwon*
18 Julius Erving*
19 Oscar Robertson*
20 Charles Barkley*
21 Steve Nash
22 Stephen Curry
23 Jerry West*
24 Dirk Nowitzki
25 Chris Paul

That's seriously a shockingly good list. I believe of the 25 all of them made the top 30 in the rankings being done here.

It looks great and i would have no arguments if we just use RS GOAT list. But if we include post season, some of the order changes. Gap of MJ to 2nd widens. Larry Bird, KMalone, Robinson, Durant etc... drops. Shaq, Duncan, Olajuwon etc.. rises.
rebirthoftheM
Sixth Man
And1: 1,847

Post#65 » by rebirthoftheM » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:33 am

penbeast0 wrote:I'm not saying people don't say it . . . I'm saying they are wrong. West shared the starting backcourt with Goodrich for 3 full seasons (plus a half in his final year). West got over twice the assists per game that Goodrich did when they were playing similar minutes and even scoring at a reasonable similar rate. West even led the league in assists. How the heck does that make Goodrich the PG?

That's like calling Magic the SG and Byron Scott the PG on those Lakers teams . . . . which no one does even though Scott is closer to the PG role than Goodrich (at least Scott consistently guards the smaller quicker guard so he's the PG defensively, Lakers switched that up). I don't know how this myth got started but agree that you hear it from people a lot; maybe because Oscar and West were always the starting All-NBA guards and Oscar was setting the all-time assist records (pre-Stockton of course).

Just to chime in here. Just because someone is described, and noted in the box score as a point guard, does not mean it reflects reality. Please see the Lakers back courts since 2000-2011. The only non-kobe pg over this period was Gary Payton, and even he shared duties with Kobe. Yet nobody in this world would ever describe Kobe as a point guard despite him functioning as a point guard for his teams, because the box score would note him down as a shooting guard.

So yeah..let's not get bogged down in these distinction. West/Kobe/MJ/Wade etc were really combo guards. They were neither traditional 1s nor 2s.
euroleague
General Manager
And1: 1,869

Post#66 » by euroleague » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:55 am

mysticOscar wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:I reduced the value of ABA MVP award share. I just halved it. Anyway this is the new list

Rank Player
1 Michael Jordan*
2 LeBron James
3 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar*
4 Larry Bird*
5 Magic Johnson*
6 Bill Russell*
7 Shaquille O'Neal*
8 Karl Malone*
9 Tim Duncan
10 Kobe Bryant
11 Wilt Chamberlain*
12 David Robinson*
13 Kevin Durant
14 Moses Malone*
15 Kevin Garnett
16 Bob Pettit*
17 Hakeem Olajuwon*
18 Julius Erving*
19 Oscar Robertson*
20 Charles Barkley*
21 Steve Nash
22 Stephen Curry
23 Jerry West*
24 Dirk Nowitzki
25 Chris Paul

It looks great and i would have no arguments if we just use RS GOAT list. But if we include post season, some of the order changes. Gap of MJ to 2nd widens. Larry Bird, KMalone, Robinson, Durant etc... drops. Shaq, Duncan, Olajuwon etc.. rises.

Why would Larry Bird drop? Malone wasn't a slouch in the PS either. LBJ is the one who would drop... so many chokes and ridiculous mistakes. If Curry hadn't been injured in 16, AND draymond suspended, he would be not so fondly regarded in cleveland.

Considering the beating LBJ got from the Spurs in '14, it's safe to say a rising star in Kawhi would've delivered again in 15, if the Clippers hadn't eliminated them in a first round epic then gotten injured.

Anyways, the list is pretty good, although it favors extended RS primes and detracts from epic PS runs. Would like to see FMVP votes factored in. At 1/3 weight or something.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#67 » by dhsilv2 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:02 am

euroleague wrote:
mysticOscar wrote:

Rank Player
1 Michael Jordan*
2 LeBron James
3 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar*
4 Larry Bird*
5 Magic Johnson*
6 Bill Russell*
7 Shaquille O'Neal*
8 Karl Malone*
9 Tim Duncan
10 Kobe Bryant
11 Wilt Chamberlain*
12 David Robinson*
13 Kevin Durant
14 Moses Malone*
15 Kevin Garnett
16 Bob Pettit*
17 Hakeem Olajuwon*
18 Julius Erving*
19 Oscar Robertson*
20 Charles Barkley*
21 Steve Nash
22 Stephen Curry
23 Jerry West*
24 Dirk Nowitzki
25 Chris Paul

Why would Larry Bird drop? Malone wasn't a slouch in the PS either. LBJ is the one who would drop... so many chokes and ridiculous mistakes. If Curry hadn't been injured in 16, AND draymond suspended, he would be not so fondly regarded in cleveland.

Considering the beating LBJ got from the Spurs in '14, it's safe to say a rising star in Kawhi would've delivered again in 15, if the Clippers hadn't eliminated them in a first round epic then gotten injured.

Anyways, the list is pretty good, although it favors extended RS primes and detracts from epic PS runs. Would like to see FMVP votes factored in. At 1/3 weight or something.

Your childish lebron trolling aside. Bird likely drops because he is ahead of magic and russell. Just tue sheer volume of finals and title edges likely would cause a shift. Clearly duncan would pass malone being just behind him.

I know that post was just about trolling lebron fans, but not well thought out at all.
euroleague
General Manager

Post#68 » by euroleague » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:56 am

dhsilv2 wrote:Your childish lebron trolling aside. Bird likely drops because he is ahead of magic and russell. Just tue sheer volume of finals and title edges likely would cause a shift. Clearly duncan would pass malone being just behind him.

I know that post was just about trolling lebron fans, but not well thought out at all.

Duncan was on 5 winning teams, so he may pass more than just Malone.

Russell will likely pass more than just Bird. at least 9 retroactive FMVPs (the award technically has his name on it; does he win it every year because of that?) will move him well past LBJ into contention with MJ.

LBJ will fall relatively (probably double his current position) far compared to Bird/Malone..
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#69 » by Laimbeer » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:12 pm

It's solid, but there are anomalies. Wilt at 11, I assume because he went head to head with Russell. Durant is surprisingly high.

Guys like Stockton and Pierce gets punished since they aren't MVP material but were very good for a very long time.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#70 » by dhsilv2 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:51 pm

euroleague wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:Your childish lebron trolling aside. Bird likely drops because he is ahead of magic and russell. Just tue sheer volume of finals and title edges likely would cause a shift. Clearly duncan would pass malone being just behind him.

Russell will likely pass more than just Bird. at least 9 retroactive FMVPs (the award technically has his name on it; does he win it every year because of that?) will move him well past LBJ into contention with MJ.

LBJ will fall relatively (probably double his current position) far compared to Bird/Malone..

There is no playoff MVP award and the FMVP should never be used as a post season metric. As there's no award to use for the post season, we'd have to do some kind of retro active playoff mvp award to use as a comparable metric.

But now that you agree that a player like Malone would fall (you were debating this and yet you then think it's about finals mvp's were he has none?) and that a Bird might fall as well, I'm not sure why you responded since you now agree.

I'm still not going to discuss lebron with you. You have an unhealthy hate of the guy and you childishly bring him up everywhere. You need to just not bring him up as nobody is going to want to engage you in a conservation on him.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#71 » by dhsilv2 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:56 pm

Laimbeer wrote:It's solid, but there are anomalies. Wilt at 11, I assume because he went head to head with Russell. Durant is surprisingly high.

Guys like Stockton and Pierce gets punished since they aren't MVP material but were very good for a very long time.

Personally, I really like seeing Wilt closer to where I'd rank him at 11. I have him higher, but 11 to me is better than top 5. The list breaks down if we try and talk about non top 25 players, but to me Stockton and Pierce aren't top 25 guys (stockton has a case) so their absence from the list seems perfectly justified.

Of course your rankings are your rankings. For a top 25 player, I expect a certain level of MVP consideration. 25-50 is where I would stop being concerned with MVP level play and would value length of career at a high level.
euroleague
General Manager

Post#72 » by euroleague » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:37 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
euroleague wrote:

There is no playoff MVP award and the FMVP should never be used as a post season metric. As there's no award to use for the post season, we'd have to do some kind of retro active playoff mvp award to use as a comparable metric.

But now that you agree that a player like Malone would fall (you were debating this and yet you then think it's about finals mvp's were he has none?) and that a Bird might fall as well, I'm not sure why you responded since you now agree.

I'm still not going to discuss lebron with you. You have an unhealthy hate of the guy and you childishly bring him up everywhere. You need to just not bring him up as nobody is going to want to engage you in a conservation on him.

Malone wouldn't fall that far. FMVP is worth 1/3 of one MVP... it won't change that much.

I don't know why you consider me to hate LBJ, although clearly it's important to you that you comment on my "childish" behavior regarding him. If you don't want to discuss him with me, please refrain from demeaning my argument regarding him. Thanks.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#73 » by dhsilv2 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:41 am

euroleague wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
euroleague wrote:

Malone wouldn't fall that far. FMVP is worth 1/3 of one MVP... it won't change that much.

I don't know why you consider me to hate LBJ, although clearly it's important to you that you comment on my "childish" behavior regarding him. If you don't want to discuss him with me, please refrain from demeaning my argument regarding him. Thanks.

I didn't comment on your statement on lebron as you've had to be asked even by the mods to stay on topic with your random rants about him. I would however like you to refrain from attacking him for no reason when quoting me. If you need to know why it's a childish rant, you referenced choking when discussing a metric based on award share.

I'm not sure where you get this FMVP is 1/3 of the MVP? Either we're objectively reviewing the playoffs or we shouldn't even consider the playoffs. the finals MVP would add little to nothing of value to these kinds of rankings.

Though if we did include it, it would be interesting. I've not seen the voting numbers or "finals MVP %". But I'd assume Malone would get a 0% in that. I can't imagine people voting for him in a loss to the bulls either year. Thus Duncan, Kobe, and possibly Wilt would all move past him given your 1/3 ranking. This moves Malone out of the top 10.
euroleague
General Manager

Post#74 » by euroleague » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:56 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
I didn't comment on your statement on lebron as you've had to be asked even by the mods to stay on topic with your random rants about him. I would however like you to refrain from attacking him for no reason when quoting me. If you need to know why it's a childish rant, you referenced choking when discussing a metric based on award share.

I'm not sure where you get this FMVP is 1/3 of the MVP? Either we're objectively reviewing the playoffs or we shouldn't even consider the playoffs. the finals MVP would add little to nothing of value to these kinds of rankings.

Though if we did include it, it would be interesting. I've not seen the voting numbers or "finals MVP %". But I'd assume Malone would get a 0% in that. I can't imagine people voting for him in a loss to the bulls either year. Thus Duncan, Kobe, and possibly Wilt would all move past him given your 1/3 ranking. This moves Malone out of the top 10.

Mods haven't asked anything remotely in that line.... I have no doubt mods use PM when discussing this type of thing anyways, so you wouldn't know regardless.

Even though I've asked you to either focus on the content in my posts or refrain from demeaning my post, you again seem to focus on "childish rants" and "random rants. I'll ask again; please stop discussing my posts in demeaning fashion if you don't intend to discuss the content in the post that is relevant to the thread.

Someone said Larry Bird and Karl malone would fall if we included my suggestion regarding FMVP. Because they were talking about my suggestion, it seems reasonable I discuss the topic - which include LBJ falling far more than Bird or malone, as he's currently in 2nd with 3 FMVPs and only 3 titles.

Finals losers often get 1-2 votes, including players like Karl Malone, as FMVP involves a far smaller player pool. I don't see how Wilt would move past him. LBJ would move back 1/2 to 2/2 places. Because there's no way Malone falls 4 places, he won't fall farther than the minimum LBJ would... not worth debating.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#75 » by dhsilv2 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:55 am

euroleague wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Mods haven't asked anything remotely in that line.... I have no doubt mods use PM when discussing this type of thing anyways, so you wouldn't know regardless.

Even though I've asked you to either focus on the content in my posts or refrain from demeaning my post, you again seem to focus on "childish rants" and "random rants. I'll ask again; please stop discussing my posts in demeaning fashion if you don't intend to discuss the content in the post that is relevant to the thread.

Someone said Larry Bird and Karl malone would fall if we included my suggestion regarding FMVP. Because they were talking about my suggestion, it seems reasonable I discuss the topic - which include LBJ falling far more than Bird or malone, as he's currently in 2nd with 3 FMVPs and only 3 titles.

Finals losers often get 1-2 votes, including players like Karl Malone, as FMVP involves a far smaller player pool. I don't see how Wilt would move past him. LBJ would move back 1/2 to 2/2 places. Because there's no way Malone falls 4 places, he won't fall farther than the minimum LBJ would... not worth debating.

Wilt likely would have gotten votes in theory if the award excisted. Clearly Duncan and Kobe would move past him using YOUR 1/3 value scale. And honestly Bird who is just behind LBJ isn't jumping him. Magic possibly. Nobody else would though. Are you looking at the numbers?
euroleague
General Manager

Post#76 » by euroleague » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:28 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
Wilt likely would have gotten votes in theory if the award excisted. Clearly Duncan and Kobe would move past him using YOUR 1/3 value scale. And honestly Bird who is just behind LBJ isn't jumping him. Magic possibly. Nobody else would though. Are you looking at the numbers?

Bill Russell would go past LBJ.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#77 » by dhsilv2 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:14 am

euroleague wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

I don't think so. If we use your system and we assume he gets 100% vote for all 11 titles, I guess maybe. That gives him 8.41. Lebron get votes in some of his losses so he should have over 1 point which should have them neck and neck. But that's if we assume Bill should get 100% for all 11 titles.
euroleague
General Manager

Post#78 » by euroleague » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:43 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
euroleague wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

I don't think so. If we use your system and we assume he gets 100% vote for all 11 titles, I guess maybe. That gives him 8.41. Lebron get votes in some of his losses so he should have over 1 point which should have them neck and neck. But that's if we assume Bill should get 100% for all 11 titles.

Bill Russell has 5 MVPs and 10 FMVPs (as I believe Jerry West won it in 69). However, this system of voting (where voters didn't vote for second place) hurts 60s MVPs because they can't get any second place votes if certain voters have a particular favorite - MVPs were won with much smaller percentages.

LBJ has 4 MVPs and 3 FMVPs.

It is quite obvious that, in terms of MVP measurement, Bill Russell must be higher.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#79 » by dhsilv2 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:05 pm

euroleague wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
euroleague wrote:

Bill Russell has 5 MVPs and 10 FMVPs (as I believe Jerry West won it in 69). However, this system of voting (where voters didn't vote for second place) hurts 60s MVPs because they can't get any second place votes if certain voters have a particular favorite - MVPs were won with much smaller percentages.

LBJ has 4 MVPs and 3 FMVPs.

It is quite obvious that, in terms of MVP measurement, Bill Russell must be higher.

I am just telling you the math doesnt agree, nothing more.
Pablo Novi
Senior
And1: 233

Post#80 » by Pablo Novi » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:01 am

I have THREE main arguments for my GOAT-list building system being better than any other I've seen:
1. It's "VALIDITY" as A basic measurement of player performance; no, much more accurately stated, as THE BEST measurement of the performance of the League's best players - i,e, THE BEST way to seperate the "men from the boys", the ALL-Time Greats from the other All-Stars)
2. The question of comparability of the 5 positions (particularly in previous decades); and
3. The actual results it produces (i.) my overall GOAT list; ii.) my DECADES' GOAT lists; iii.) my POSITIONAL GOAT lists:
and a BONUS, yippee!:
4. "Predictive Power" and "Ease Of Usage"

1. THE "VALIDITY" OF MY METHOD (greatest emphasis on the number of a players' ALL-League selections, with more points for higher team selections):
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20810860/superteam-standings-thunder-big-three-warriors-level
Here's an article by Tom Haberstroh today at ESPN. The focus of the article is comparing the League's teams based on if they have at least 3 big stars - up to the moment (just after the Melo trade to OKC and before DWade's destination is determined). Notice please that he rates the players by EXACTLY MY ONE DOMINANT CRITERIA: ALL-NBA selections (though in his case here: from the previous three seasons for players under 35 years of age). From all the incredible variety of "stats" and/or opinions and/or combinations of them, this top NBA analyst chose the single criteria of: ALL-NBA selections. Additionally, he sets up a "Points" system as: 1st-Team = 5 "Points"; 2nd-Team = 3 "Points"; 3rd-Team = 1 "Point" (This is nearly an exact duplicate of my system; but for the 2010s, I give 1.8 "Points" for 3rd-Team selections - a very minor difference).

Please note. This then is treating players REGARDLESS OF POSITION as equal - with EVERYTHING depending on ALL-NBA selections.

So this is a kind of Step 1 in a would-be defense of my system.

2) POSITIONAL "COMPARABILITY" (particularly in previous decades (those before the great lowering of the value assigned to the Center position, particularly in the 2000s and 2010s).

I think it can safely be assumed that IF we just go by the standard way of evaluating players, Centers dominate the 1900s. BUT I strongly disagree with that "standard". Sure, as we all know, Centers play a more important STATISTICAL, measureable, role on DEFENSE. BUT, there is one GENERAL AREA of play that virtually NEVER gets included in the discussion: NON-STATISTICAL CONTRIBUTIONS:

i) Bringing the ball up the court Centers are terrible at this and it does count for a significant portion of EVERY POSSESSION - including the defensive pressure put up by the non-Centers to stop it. Generally speaking, the smaller the position, the greater the role in bringing the ball up (and the more wear-and-tear over a career);

ii) The half-court sets DRIBBLING: Same understanding here: the smaller the position, the more dribbling involved AND the more effort to try to interfere with that dribbling on defense;

iii) The half-court sets PASSING: Again, the smaller the position the more effort involved in both the passing and in trying to disrupt effective passing on defence;

iii) Half-Court cutting, stop-and-starting and general running around: Once again, the smaller the position the more effort on both sides of the ball - I wonder if there have been studies done comparing the amount of "mileage" PER POSITION that's happening.

iv) Fast-Breaks: Still another example of the "smalls" putting out more effort than the bigs.

v) TEAM-work: I take a Magic pass or LeBron pass over a Magic or LBJ shot any day of the week. The assist is the ESSENCE of TEAM-work imo. I appreciate teams with better quality TEAM-work than I do teams with players with crazy scoring ability (although naturally I love that too; just less so). But TEAM-work effort involves all the other things (other than passing; i.e.: bringing the ball up, dribbling, cutting, fast-break work; that contribute up to the moments when the stats mostly start to represent things

To sum up this (sub-)section: imo, the overwhelmingly non-statistical additional contributions listed above ALMOST equal the extra contributions statistically measured for the BIGS - thus, why in each descending set of 5 GOAT spots, I have one player per position WHILE, for my GOAT Top 50, the Center is always ranked first within each set of 5. (Another way to put this, no team composed only of BIGS would ever beat a team composed of the Top PGs, or smalls in general - because the BIGS won't be able to: bring the ball up, run the half-court sets, succeed on the fast break, or have good-enough passing-based TEAM-work.)

3) RESULTS:
3A) My GOAT List is better than any of your's AND better than our collective RealGM GOAT list (nah-nee, nah-nee, nah-naa! lol)
I've never seen a better list than my GOAT list (in order) ... All facetiousness aside, I think this is a darned good list.

01-05: KAJ, Magic, MJ, LBJ, TD
06-10: Wilt, Kobe, Dr J, "O", Karl Malone
11-15: Shaq, Jerry West, Larry Bird, Pettit, Cousy
16-20: Russell, Bill Baylor, Elgin; Barkley, Charles; Stockton, John; Gervin, George
21-25: Olajuwon, Hakeem; Barry, Rick; Nowitzki, Dirk; Paul, Chris; Wade, Dwyane
26-30: Malone, Moses; Durant, Kevin; Garnett, Kevin; Kidd, Jason; Moncrief, Sidney
31-35: Robinson, David; Payton, Gary; Schayes, Dolph; Pippen, Scottie; Greer, Hal
36-40: Howard, Dwight; Iverson, Allen; McGrady, Tracy; Lucas, Jerry; Westphal, Paul
41-45: Ewing, Patrick; Nash, Steve; Wilkins, Dominique; Stoudemire, Amar'e; Harden, James
46-50: Mikan, George; Frazier, Walt; Hill, Grant; Drexler, Clyde; McGinnis, George

I'd take my "GOAT Top 5" as a team over any other set of 5 players, INCLUDING RealGM's new GOAT Top 5.
I'd take my "GOAT Top 10" as a team (with 5 bench players) over any other set of 10 players.
Also, I've NEVER seen a more Center-centric GOAT list than our developing RealGM list. In other words, ours represents, for me, the worst example of the over-valuing of the role of Centers in previous decades; the worst example of under-valuing the roles of "smalls".

3B) MY DECADAL GOAT LISTS (are a darned good reflection of who actually the best players each decade):

1938 - 1949 (12 years: NBL & BAA)
....... ALL-Lg
# Pts Xs P L A Y E R
1 7.4 6 McDermott, Robert
2 6.0 3 Mikan, George
3 5.7 8 Edwards, Leroy
4 5.6 4 Cervi, Al
5 5.1 5 Jeannette, Buddy
6 4.5 7 Shipp, Charley
7 4.3 2 Pollard, Jim
8 4.2 5 Dancker, Edward
9 4.1 3 Fulks, Joe
10 4.1 3 Zaslofsky, Max
11 4.0 2 Davies, Bob
12 3.4 2 Holzman, Red
13 2.6 3 Stephens, Ben
14 2.3 2 Riebe, Mel
15 2.1 4 Bush, Gerard
16 2.0 1 Todorovich, Mike
17 1.9 2 Feerick, Bob
18 1.7 1 Lewis, Freddie
19 1.7 3 Vaughn, Ralph
20 1.7 3 Cable, Howard
21 1.6 2 Sadowski, Ed
22 1.5 2 Glamack, George
23 1.4 4 Ozburn, Jack
24 1.4 1 Carpenter, Bob
25 1.3 1 Patrick, Stan
26 1.2 2 Kautz, Wilbert
27 1.1 1 Brian, Frankie
28 1.1 1 Englund, Gene
29 1.1 1 Mehen, Dick
30 1.1 1 Otten, Don
31 1.1 2 Pelkington, Jake
32 1.0 1 Armstrong, Curly
33 1.0 1 Chuckovits, Charles
34 1.0 1 Dallmar, Howie
35 1.0 2 Lautenschlager, Reuben
36 1.0 2 Suesens, Kenneth
37 1.0 1 Wager, Clint
38 1.0 2 Calihan, Robert
39 0.9 1 McKinney, Bones
40 0.9 1 Miasek, Stan
41 0.7 2 Young. Jewell
42 0.7 1 Novak, Mike
43 0.6 1 Hartman, Pierre
44 0.6 1 Triptow, Dick
45 0.5 1 Andres, Ernest
46 0.5 1 Boswell, Wyatt
47 0.5 1 Frankel, Nat
48 0.5 1 Kolar, Otto
49 0.5 1 Schaefer, Herm
50 0.4 1 Birch, Paul
51 0.4 1 Sines, John
52 0.4 2 Bloedorn, Charles
53 0.3 1 Hapac, William
54 0.2 1 Moir, John
55 0.2 1 Armstrong, Scott
56 0.2 1 Neu, Robert
57 0.1 1 Kessler, Robert
58 0.1 1 McGowan, Vince
59 0.1 1 Quinn, Bart
60 0.1 1 Wooden, John

1 9 5 0 s
# Pts Xs P L A Y E R
1 25.5 8 Cousy, Bob
2 23.2 10 Schayes, Dolph
3 17.0 5 Pettit, Bob
4 17.0 6 Sharman, Bill
5 13.8 5 Johnston, Neil
6 13.0 5 Mikan, George
7 11.0 4 Arizin, Paul
8 8.5 4 Macauley, Ed
9 8.5 4 Davies, Bob
10 8.5 5 Martin, Slater
11 5.5 2 Russell, Bill
12 5.5 2 Yardley, George
13 5.3 4 Mikkelsen, Vern
14 5.2 3 Stokes, Maurice
15 5.0 3 Pollard, Jim
16 4.5 2 Gallatin, Harry
17 4.2 3 Wanzer, Bob
18 4.0 2 Groza, Alex
19 3.7 1 Baylor, Elgin
20 3.7 2 Hagan, Cliff
21 3.3 2 Beard, Ralph
22 3.0 1 Foust, Larry
23 3.0 2 Seymour, Paul
24 2.9 2 Brian, Frankie
25 2.7 2 Phillip, Andy
26 2.3 1 Zaslofsky, Max
27 1.8 1 Guerin, Richie
28 1.8 1 Garmaker, Dick
29 1.8 1 Gola, Tom
30 1.5 1 Fulks, Joe
31 1.5 1 Braun, Carl
32 1.5 1 George, Jack
33 1.5 1 Lovellette, Clyde
34 1.4 1 Cervi, Al
35 1.2 1 Schaus, Fred
36 1.2 1 McGuire, Dick

1 9 6 0 s (including ABA)
# Pts Xs P L A Y E R
1 45.0 9 Robertson, Oscar
2 42.5 9 Baylor, Elgin
3 40.0 9 Chamberlain, Wilt
4 35.0 8 West, Jerry
5 27.5 6 Pettit, Bob
6 25.0 8 Russell, Bill
7 17.5 5 Lucas, Jerry
8 17.5 7 Greer, Hal
9 15.0 3 Barry, Rick
10 15.0 4 Cousy, Bob
11 10.0 2 Hawkins, Connie
12 10.0 4 Heinsohn, Tom
13 7.5 3 Havlicek, John
14 7.5 2 Daniels, Mel
15 7.5 2 Shue, Gene
16 7.5 3 Jones, Sam
17 5.0 1 Bing, Dave
18 5.0 2 Johnson, Gus
19 5.0 2 Schayes, Dolph
20 5.0 2 Guerin, Richie
21 5.0 2 Twyman, Jack
22 5.0 1 Monroe, Earl
23 2.5 1 Cunningham, Billy
24 2.5 1 Reed, Willis
25 2.5 1 Sharman, Bill
26 2.5 1 Costello, Larry
27 2.5 1 Howell, Bailey
28 2.5 1 Unseld, Wes

1 9 7 0 s (including ABA)
# Pts Xs P L A Y E R
1 37.5 9 Abdul-Jabbar, Kareem
2 30.0 7 Erving, Julius
3 27.5 7 Barry, Rick
4 22.5 5 Frazier, Walt
5 20.0 4 West, Jerry
6 18.0 8 Gilmore, Artis
7 15.8 4 Maravich, Pete
8 15.5 5 McGinnis, George
9 15.0 4 Archibald, Nate"Tiny"
10 14.3 5 Hayes, Elvin
11 13.3 4 Gervin, George
12 12.5 3 Westphal, Paul
13 12.5 4 Thompson, David
14 11.8 3 Cunningham, Billy
15 10.8 4 Issel, Dan
16 7.5 7 Havlicek, John
17 7.0 4 Haywood, Spencer
18 6.5 2 Walton, Bill
19 5.5 3 Calvin, Mack
20 5.0 2 Davis, Walter
21 5.0 3 Jones, Bobby
22 5.0 1 Bing, Dave
23 5.0 1 Goodrich, Gail
24 5.0 1 Johnson, Marques
25 5.0 1 Malone, Moses
26 5.0 1 Reed, Willis
27 5.0 1 Robinson, Truck (Leonard)
28 4.5 3 Daniels, Mel
29 3.8 2 White, Jo Jo
30 3.5 2 Knight, Billy
31 3.3 2 Robertson, Oscar
32 3.3 2 Boone, Ron
33 3.3 2 McAdoo, Bob
34 3.3 1 Dandridge, Bobby
35 3.0 1 Ford, Phil
36 2.5 1 Free, Lloyd B.
37 2.5 2 Freeman, Donnie
38 2.5 2 Kenon, Larry
39 2.5 1 Lucas, Maurice
40 2.5 2 Jones, Jimmy
41 2.5 1 Silas, James
42 2.5 1 Simpson, Ralph
43 2.5 1 Chamberlain, Wilt
44 2.5 1 Hawkins, Connie
45 2.5 2 Johnson, Gus
46 2.5 1 Jones, Larry
47 2.0 1 Melchionni, Bill
48 1.0 1 Scott, Charlie
49 1.0 1 Hollins, Lionel
50 1.0 1 Maxwell, Cedric
51 1.0 1 Smith, Randy
52 1.0 1 Taylor, Brian
53 1.0 1 Williams, Gus
54 0.8 1 Chenier, Phil
55 0.8 1 Dampier, Louie
56 0.8 1 Jabali, Warren
57 0.8 1 Nater, Swen
58 0.5 1 Beaty, Zelmo
59 0.5 1 Brown, Roger
60 0.5 1 Clark, Archie
61 0.5 1 Hudson, Lou
62 0.5 1 Love, Bob
63 0.5 1 Verga, Bob

1 9 8 0 s
# Pts Xs P L A Y E R
1 45.0 9 Bird, Larry
2 39.0 9 Johnson, Magic
3 28.0 8 Malone, Moses
4 27.0 7 Abdul-Jabbar, Kareem
5 23.0 5 Erving, Julius
6 22.0 6 Thomas, Isiah
7 19.0 5 Olajuwon, Hakeem
8 18.0 4 Jordan, Michael
9 18.0 4 Gervin, George
10 18.0 6 Moncrief, Sidney
11 16.0 4 Barkley, Charles
12 13.0 3 King, Bernard
13 12.0 4 Wilkins, Dominique
14 9.0 3 Johnson, Dennis
15 9.0 5 Dantley, Adrian
16 9.0 3 English, Alex
17 8.0 2 Malone, Karl
18 8.0 2 Williams, Gus
19 7.0 3 McHale, Kevin
20 7.0 5 Parish, Robert
21 7.0 3 Johnson, Marques
22 6.0 2 Stockton, John
23 6.0 2 Ewing, Patrick
24 6.0 4 Drexler, Clyde
25 5.0 1 Westphal, Paul
26 5.0 3 Roundfield, Dan
27 4.0 2 Cummings, Terry
28 4.0 2 Paxson, Jim
29 4.0 2 Lever, Fat (Lafayette)
30 3.0 1 Johnson, Kevin
31 3.0 1 Mullin, Chris
32 3.0 1 Chambers, Tom
33 3.0 1 Archibald, Nate "Tiny"
34 3.0 1 Birdsong, Otis
35 3.0 1 Williams, Buck
36 3.0 3 Nance, Larry
37 3.0 3 Richardson, Micheal Ray
38 3.0 1 Sampson, Ralph
39 3.0 1 Robertson, Alvin
40 2.0 2 Gilmore, Artis
41 2.0 2 Cheeks, Maurice
42 2.0 2 Blackman, Rolando
43 1.0 1 Price, Mark
44 1.0 1 Daugherty, Brad
45 1.0 1 Davis, Walter
46 1.0 1 Jones, Bobby
47 1.0 1 Rollins, Tree
48 1.0 1 Washington, Kermit
49 1.0 1 Aguirre, Mark
50 1.0 1 Ruland, Jeff
51 1.0 1 Williams, Ray
52 1.0 1 McCray, Rodney
53 1.0 1 Floyd, Eric (Sleepy)
54 1.0 1 Ellis, Dale

1 9 9 0 s
# Pts Xs P L A Y E R
1 50.0 10 Malone, Karl
2 35.0 7 Jordan, Michael
3 28.6 8 Robinson, David
4 25.9 9 Stockton, John
5 25.3 7 Barkley, Charles
6 24.9 8 Olajuwon, Hakeem
7 23.6 7 Pippen, Scottie
8 18.3 6 Payton, Gary
9 17.0 5 Ewing, Patrick
10 15.3 5 Hardaway, Tim
11 14.9 6 O'Neal, Shaquille
12 14.0 4 Hill, Grant
13 11.6 5 Richmond, Mitch
14 11.3 3 Hardaway, Anfernee
15 10.6 4 Drexler, Clyde
16 10.3 4 Johnson, Kevin
17 10.0 2 Duncan, Tim
18 10.0 2 Johnson, Magic
19 9.3 3 Mullin, Chris
20 9.0 3 Kemp, Shawn
21 7.6 3 Price, Mark
22 7.3 3 Wilkins, Dominique
23 5.6 3 Dumars, Joe
24 5.0 1 Kidd, Jason
25 5.0 1 Iverson, Allen
26 5.0 1 Mourning, Alonzo
27 5.0 1 Sprewell, Latrell
28 4.3 2 Baker, Vin
29 4.3 2 Rice, Glen
30 3.9 3 Miller, Reggie
31 3.0 1 Webber, Chris
32 3.0 1 Bird, Larry
33 3.0 1 Chambers, Tom
34 3.0 1 Johnson, Larry
35 3.0 1 Strickland, Rod
36 2.6 2 Worthy, James
37 2.6 2 Coleman, Derrick
38 2.6 2 Rodman, Dennis
39 1.3 1 Bryant, Kobe
40 1.3 1 Garnett, Kevin
41 1.3 1 Mutombo, Dikembe
42 1.3 1 Mason, Anthony
43 1.3 1 McDyess, Antonio
44 1.3 1 King, Bernard
45 1.3 1 Daugherty, Brad
46 1.3 1 Willis, Kevin
47 1.3 1 Petrovic, Drazen
48 1.3 1 Schrempf, Detlef
49 1.3 1 Howard, Juwan

2 0 0 0 s
# Pts Xs P L A Y E R
1 44.0 10 Duncan, Tim
2 42.6 10 Bryant, Kobe
3 36.6 8 O'Neal, Shaquille
4 32.1 9 Nowitzki, Dirk
5 30.6 8 Garnett, Kevin
6 23.0 5 Kidd, Jason
7 22.1 7 McGrady, Tracy
8 21.1 6 Nash, Steve
9 21.0 5 James, LeBron
10 20.6 6 Iverson, Allen
11 12.6 4 Wade, Dwyane
12 12.6 4 Webber, Chris
13 12.1 5 Wallace, Ben
14 11.6 3 Howard, Dwight
15 11.0 3 Stoudemire, Amar'e
16 10.7 5 Ming, Yao
17 9.6 3 Payton, Gary
18 8.0 2 Paul, Chris
19 7.7 4 Pierce, Paul
20 6.1 3 Billups, Chauncey
21 6.1 3 O'Neal, Jermaine
22 6.1 3 Arenas, Gilbert
23 4.7 3 Anthony, Carmelo
24 4.6 2 Malone, Karl
25 4.6 2 Mutombo, Dikembe
26 4.6 2 Carter, Vince
27 4.6 2 Allen, Ray
28 3.1 2 Robinson, David
29 3.1 2 Marbury, Stephon
30 3.1 2 Marion, Shawn
31 3.0 1 Williams, Deron
32 3.0 1 Roy, Brandon
33 3.0 1 Bosh, Chris
34 3.0 1 Hill, Grant
35 3.0 1 Mourning, Alonzo
36 3.0 1 Cassell, Sam
37 3.0 1 Stojakovic, Peja
38 3.0 1 Brand, Elton
39 1.6 1 Parker, Tony
40 1.6 1 Gasol, Pau
41 1.6 1 Ginobili, Manu
42 1.6 1 Boozer, Carlos
43 1.6 1 Mashburn, Jamal
44 1.6 1 Jones, Eddie
45 1.6 1 Davis, Baron
46 1.6 1 Redd, Michael
47 1.6 1 World Peace, Metta

2 0 1 0 s (8 years so far: 2010-2017)
# Pts Xs P L A Y E R
1 40.0 8 James, LeBron
2 31.0 7 Durant, Kevin
3 22.8 6 Paul, Chris
4 22.0 6 Westbrook, Russell
5 20.0 4 Bryant, Kobe
6 19.8 5 Howard, Dwight
7 16.8 4 Harden, James
8 16.0 4 Curry, Stephen
9 11.6 4 Wade, Dwyane
10 10.8 4 Griffin, Blake
11 10.0 2 Davis, Anthony
12 10.0 2 Leonard, Kawhi
13 9.0 3 Parker, Tony
14 8.6 3 Duncan, Tim
15 8.6 3 Jordan, DeAndre
16 8.4 4 Aldridge, LaMarcus
17 8.0 2 Gasol, Marc
18 7.8 3 Nowitzki, Dirk
19 7.8 3 Anthony, Carmelo
20 7.8 3 Gasol, Pau
21 6.0 2 Stoudemire, Amar'e
22 6.0 2 Love, Kevin
23 6.0 2 Cousins, DeMarcus
24 5.4 3 George, Paul
25 5.0 1 Rose, Derrick
26 5.0 1 Noah, Joakim
27 4.8 2 Lillard, Damian
28 4.8 2 Green, Draymond
29 3.6 2 Thompson, Klay
30 3.0 1 Nash, Steve
31 3.0 1 Williams, Deron
32 3.0 1 Bynum, Andrew
33 3.0 1 Antetokounmpo, Giannis
34 3.0 1 Gobert, Rudy
35 3.0 1 Thomas, Isaiah
36 1.8 1 Roy, Brandon
37 1.8 1 Ginobili, Manu
38 1.8 1 Johnson, Joe
39 1.8 1 Randolph, Zach
40 1.8 1 Chandler, Tyson
41 1.8 1 Jefferson, Al
42 1.8 1 Bogut, Andrew
43 1.8 1 Horford, Al
44 1.8 1 Rondo, Rajon
45 1.8 1 Lee, David
46 1.8 1 Dragic, Goran
47 1.8 1 Irving, Kyrie
48 1.8 1 Drummond, Andre
49 1.8 1 Lowry, Kyle
50 1.8 1 Butler, Jimmy
51 1.8 1 DeRozan, DeMar
52 1.8 1 Wall, John

3C: POSITIONAL GOAT RANKINGS: TOP 10 EACH
PGs
1 Johnson, Magic
2 Robertson, Oscar
3 Cousy, Bob
4 Stockton, John
5 Paul, Chris
6 Kidd, Jason
7 Payton, Gary
8 Iverson, Allen
9 Nash, Steve
10 Frazier, Walt

SGs
1 Jordan, Michael
2 Bryant, Kobe
3 West, Jerry
4 Gervin, George
5 Wade, Dwyane
6 Moncrief, Sidney
7 Greer, Hal
8 Westphal, Paul
9 Harden, James
10 Drexler, Clyde

SFs
1 James, LeBron
2 Erving, Julius
3 Bird, Larry
4 Baylor, Elgin
5 Barry, Rick
6 Durant, Kevin
7 Pippen, Scottie
8 McGrady, Tracy
9 Wilkins, Dominique
10 Hill, Grant

PFs
1 Duncan, Tim
2 Malone, Karl
3 Pettit, Bob
4 Barkley, Charles
5 Nowitzki, Dirk
6 Garnett, Kevin
7 Schayes, Dolph
8 Lucas, Jerry
9 Stoudemire, Amar'e
10 McGinnis, George

Centers
1 Abdul-Jabbar, Kareem
2 Chamberlain, Wilt
3 O'Neal, Shaquille
4 Russell, Bill
5 Olajuwon, Hakeem
6 Malone, Moses
7 Robinson, David
8 Howard, Dwight
9 Ewing, Patrick
10 Mikan, George

BONUS SECTION:
4. "Predictive Power" and "Ease Of Usage"
This is a kind of play on the words "Predictive Power". What I have in mind here is that using this system it's SUPER-EASY to predict what up-and-coming players will need to achieve (vis-a-vis All-League selections) to move up the GOAT lists.

As to "Ease Of Usage": What could be easier than just referring to one list (mine in this case, lol) for "all your needs"?
As compared to referring to one individual stat (regular or advanced) or some combination of them.
-----
Given how incredibly different from each other GOAT lists are; I wonder how my GOAT list compares to a "composite" GOAT list (composed of several highly-esteemed individual lists)?
-----
As to: "Lastly, I can't help being skeptical of a criteria that utilizes a VERY narrow scope of the available information and yields results which [at times] cannot be supported by almost ANY other means. To me, that's problematic."

Yes, I completely understand why, at first glance, this particular criteria (ALL-League selections) may APPEAR narrow in scope. BUT, the ALL-League selectors are the very people in THE BEST position to judge the players' performances of the just-passed Regular Season. It is their job to report on the games; and their results, imo, super-closely match how the players actually did (better, if not far better, than any other criteria).

In other words, their "subjective" collective opinion results in more "objective" analysis than any objective stat or combination of stats.

Return to Player Comparisons