Better Spur: LaMarcus Aldridge or Larry Kenon

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

smartyz456
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,692

Better Spur: LaMarcus Aldridge or Larry Kenon 

Post#1 » by smartyz456 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:24 am

Before everyone rips me for asking a seemingly easy question, here are some facts I'd like to point out:

-LMA was an all star for the Spurs in his first year with the team
-LMA also put up insane numbers against the Thunder at the same year's playoffs
-Larry Kenon made 5 all star teams but all of which were during the 70s (the worst time for basketball) and his first 3 all star teams were with the ABA (NBA > ABA talent-wise)

You could say that in this case 5 > 1 is not necessarily the case when 5 of Kenon's all star years were stained with the quality of the basketball league and the decade whereas LMA made an all star team in a time where there's an influx of talented players and in a stacked Western conference
wojoaderge
Veteran
And1: 1,493

Re: Better Spur: LaMarcus Aldridge or Larry Kenon 

Post#2 » by wojoaderge » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:30 am

smartyz456 wrote:-Larry Kenon made 5 all star teams but all of which were during the 70s (the worst time for basketball) and his first 3 all star teams were with the ABA (NBA > ABA talent-wise)

No sale
"Coach, why don't you just relax? We're not good enough to beat the Lakers. We've had a great year, why don't you just relax and cool down?"
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Post#3 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:46 am

It is not so clear that Aldridge is better than Kenon. I suspect Kenon would be better at creating his own shot. Aldridge has been inconsistent. Kenon is really before my time but I suspect he also was inconsistent. Aldridge plays in a great system. Kenon played in a confused system.

How was Kennon's defense? Those 1970s Spurs had talent but did they dislike playing defense?
wojoaderge
Veteran

Post#4 » by wojoaderge » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:53 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:It is not so clear that Aldridge is better than Kenon. I suspect Kenon would be better at creating his own shot. Aldridge has been inconsistent. Kenon is really before my time but I suspect he also was inconsistent. Aldridge plays in a great system. Kenon played in a confused system.

How was Kennon's defense? Those 1970s Spurs had talent but did they dislike playing defense?

Doug Moe's system was confused?

Spurs defense - Gale, Paultz, and Dietrick were good defenders. Special K and The Iceman pretty went for the steal and the block respectively though
"Coach, why don't you just relax? We're not good enough to beat the Lakers. We've had a great year, why don't you just relax and cool down?"
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#5 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:33 am

wojoaderge wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:It is not so clear that Aldridge is better than Kenon. I suspect Kenon would be better at creating his own shot. Aldridge has been inconsistent. Kenon is really before my time but I suspect he also was inconsistent. Aldridge plays in a great system. Kenon played in a confused system.

Spurs defense - Gale, Paultz, and Dietrick were good defenders. Special K and The Iceman pretty went for the steal and the block respectively though

My vague image of those Spurs is probably more 1980 than 1977. They won games but I didn't feel like they were scrapers. I liked Johnny Moore but I think that is after Kenon's time.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,508

Post#6 » by 70sFan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:38 am

Larry was at least fun to watch. Blazers Aldridge vs Spurs Kenon is more interesting debate and I always knew that Lamarcus has been overrated.

Give me Kenon over Spurs LA without any doubts.
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#7 » by Goudelock » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:43 pm

70sFan wrote:Larry was at least fun to watch. Blazers Aldridge vs Spurs Kenon is more interesting debate and I always knew that Lamarcus has been overrated.

Give me Kenon over Spurs LA without any doubts.

Aldridge is softer than the pillow on my bed, but I'd still take Aldridge over Kenon. I just don't like Special K's "Shoot, shoot, and shoot some more" game, and it doesn't entertain me at all. I'd rather have Lamarcus' rebounding and rim protection.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
wojoaderge
Veteran

Post#8 » by wojoaderge » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:55 pm

[quote="PockyCandy"I just don't like Special K's "Shoot, shoot, and shoot some more" game, and it doesn't entertain me at all. I'd rather have Lamarcus' rebounding and rim protection.[/quote]
Kenon was a just as good a rebounder if not better. Besides, he played with much more style . . .
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#9 » by Goudelock » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:59 pm

wojoaderge wrote:[quote="PockyCandy"I just don't like Special K's "Shoot, shoot, and shoot some more" game, and it doesn't entertain me at all. I'd rather have Lamarcus' rebounding and rim protection.

Kenon was a just as good a rebounder if not better. Besides, he played with much more style . . .[/quote]

Fine, I'd rather have Lamarcus' rim protection. I'm trying to find any reason not to pick Kenon.

He's in my top 5 least favorite players to watch ever, along with Pero Antic, George McGinnis, Danny Ainge, and Adrian Dantley.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,508

Post#10 » by 70sFan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:01 pm

PockyCandy wrote:
wojoaderge wrote:[quote="PockyCandy"I just don't like Special K's "Shoot, shoot, and shoot some more" game, and it doesn't entertain me at all. I'd rather have Lamarcus' rebounding and rim protection.

Kenon was a just as good a rebounder if not better. Besides, he played with much more style . . .

Fine, I'd rather have Lamarcus' rim protection. I'm trying to find any reason not to pick Kenon.

He's in my top 5 least favorite players to watch ever, along with Pero Antic, George McGinnis, Danny Ainge, and Adrian Dantley.[/quote]

I know we have much different preferences :D
wojoaderge
Veteran

Post#11 » by wojoaderge » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:04 pm

PockyCandy wrote:Fine, I'd rather have Lamarcus' rim protection. I'm trying to find any reason not to pick Kenon.

He's in my top 5 least favorite players to watch ever, along with Pero Antic, George McGinnis, Danny Ainge, and Adrian Dantley.

Oh boy. We can't be friends anymore . . .
ThaRegul8r
Head Coach
And1: 3,019

Post#12 » by ThaRegul8r » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:02 pm

smartyz456 wrote:Before everyone rips me for asking a seemingly easy question, here are some facts I'd like to point out:

-LMA was an all star for the Spurs in his first year with the team
-LMA also put up insane numbers against the Thunder at the same year's playoffs

Aldridge put up big numbers in two games of a six-game series. The first two games. Let's tell it like it actually happened, and not leave out that fact. What did he do for the other two-thirds of the series? I'm looking at my notes from that year, and "insane" wouldn't be the appropriate adjective.

The beautiful ball movement that has sent basketballphiles' heads spinning was gone, replaced by isolation grinds which the Thunder snuffed out and manhandled. The scoring balance was absent as the Spurs turned again and again to LaMarcus Aldridge, who had two great games and then returned to just being a mid-range shooting power forward, high in volume, low in efficiency.
(May 13, 2016)
I remember your posts from the RPOY project, you consistently brought it. Please continue to do so, sir. This board needs guys like you to counteract ... worthless posters

Retirement isn’t the end of the road, but just a turn in the road. – Unknown
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#13 » by penbeast0 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:08 am

wojoaderge wrote:

Actually Moe's system was probably closer to the modern system (absent spamming of 3's) than almost anyone else in the league. He used a motion offense based on 4 or 5 men moving away from the basket rather than the more traditional drive and dish/post up offense more commonly used then . . . just without the 3, he emphasized quick shots and creating transistion opportunities (like Red Auerbach in the 50s/60s only with more success offensively . . . and much much less defensively).
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#14 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:28 am

Spurs have a good defensive record one year under Moe, 1978-79. The other years the Spurs have mediocre or bad defensive stats but are good on offense.

Return to Player Comparisons