15 of the RealGM Top 25 played with another at a high level, won title(s)

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,322

Re: 15 of the RealGM Top 25 played with another at a high level, won title(s) 

Post#21 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:25 am

CodeBreaker wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:
Timmaytime wrote:
Yeah, very few instances that I can think of where a ATG player won without another star.

2011 for sure.

1994 for sure, and maybe 1995, depending on how you feel about Drexler at that point.

1975, which makes you think a little bit about Rick Barry, considering his help was Butch Beard, Clifford Ray and rookie Jamaal Wilkes.

I would also argue 1981 (Bird, but the next best players were Parish and past-prime Tiny Archibald), and 2016.

Drexler was still very good in 95, especially in the finals:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/1995-nba-finals-rockets-vs-magic.html

Around 2013 Wade-good level

Ok? He had a similar regular season, but much better postseason.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,211

Post#22 » by bondom34 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:27 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Disagree with Harden, he imo was why the 2012 team made the finals. He's a great piece. Westbrook I agree with however.

You say this realizing Westbrook has been a better postseason performed I'd hope. With a lead in BPM, OBPM, assist rate, rebound rate, TO rate, scoring volume, and a lesser drop in efficiency while having more team success and showing up more often. It's building around nearly the same guy.

You know...sometimes I just want to see a guy use his brain. I would never want westbrook in the playoffs to make a decision over harden. Call me crazy, biased, or irrational. Westbrook is a better basketball player until the right play really matters imo. It's hard to explain, but I'm not the first to say this. I doubt i'm the last.

And yet we've seen him come up huge late game so many times (see vs. LAC game 5), and Harden come up small so many times (see game 6 Spurs). Yes, I'd call that either biased or irrational, because there's zero backing for the statement. I'd never want Harden in the playoffs over Westbrook. Because he's worse.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,532

Post#23 » by dhsilv2 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:42 am

bondom34 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:You say this realizing Westbrook has been a better postseason performed I'd hope. With a lead in BPM, OBPM, assist rate, rebound rate, TO rate, scoring volume, and a lesser drop in efficiency while having more team success and showing up more often. It's building around nearly the same guy.

You know...sometimes I just want to see a guy use his brain. I would never want westbrook in the playoffs to make a decision over harden. Call me crazy, biased, or irrational. Westbrook is a better basketball player until the right play really matters imo. It's hard to explain, but I'm not the first to say this. I doubt i'm the last.

And yet we've seen him come up huge late game so many times (see vs. LAC game 5), and Harden come up small so many times (see game 6 Spurs). Yes, I'd call that either biased or irrational, because there's zero backing for the statement. I'd never want Harden in the playoffs over Westbrook. Because he's worse.

That sampling is so meaningless. Dismissing me if you want, but that isn't even remotely a case here. The issue isn't BETTER it is smarter.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#24 » by Winsome Gerbil » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:53 am

mdonnelly1989 wrote:
RCM88x wrote:No great player is able to win titles without other great players. Simple as that really.

But it's interesting though because take someone for instance like Charles Barkley who in a vacuum is a lock top 5 power forward of all time and yet, I find that it would be hard to build a championship around him because of his style of play.

Oddly I don't think it's the least bit difficult.

Steph Curry.

There, I just won a title.

Kobe Bryant and a good rim protecting center.

Just won another one.

Most Dirk builds work for Barkley too.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,211

Post#25 » by bondom34 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:58 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

That sampling is so meaningless. Dismissing me if you want, but that isn't even remotely a case here. The issue isn't BETTER it is smarter.

And the issue there is that Harden still isn't. Unless it's smart to just blatantly not show up, in which case OK.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Timmaytime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,717

Post#26 » by Timmaytime » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:51 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:
Timmaytime wrote:
RCM88x wrote:No great player is able to win titles without other great players. Simple as that really.

Yeah, very few instances that I can think of where a ATG player won without another star.

2011 for sure.

1994 for sure, and maybe 1995, depending on how you feel about Drexler at that point.

1975, which makes you think a little bit about Rick Barry, considering his help was Butch Beard, Clifford Ray and rookie Jamaal Wilkes.

I would also argue 1981 (Bird, but the next best players were Parish and past-prime Tiny Archibald), and 2016.

Drexler was still very good in 95, especially in the finals:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/1995-nba-finals-rockets-vs-magic.html

Fair, I guess there's a reason they went from going 7 games with Ewing's Knicks to sweeping Shaq & Penny, arguably a much better team..
ComboGuardCity wrote:If Bellinelli drops 50 and we lose I’ll eat my dog

Return to Player Comparisons