65%

Total votes: 54

PCProductions
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,989

Re: 2017 Steph Curry vs 1989 Michael Jordan 

Post#41 » by PCProductions » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:01 am

mischievous wrote:
PCProductions wrote:I wonder how different this comparison would be if Kyrie hadn't made that three in the Finals.

My guess, exactly the same since the op says 2017.

Well it really changed everything, though. People were comparing 2016 Curry to peak Jordan and 1989 is a slight step behind that. 2017 Curry had a better playoffs and maintained his historic impact from the year before. And now we're here witnessing some people exclaiming that the comparison is laughable.

I'm telling you, losing that 2016 title changed everything despite the fact that he's just as impactful a player this year as last. Narrative is really against Curry right now.
mischievous
General Manager
And1: 3,482

Post#42 » by mischievous » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:04 am

PCProductions wrote:
mischievous wrote:
PCProductions wrote:I wonder how different this comparison would be if Kyrie hadn't made that three in the Finals.

My guess, exactly the same since the op says 2017.

Well it really changed everything, though. People were comparing 2016 Curry to peak Jordan and 1989 is a slight step behind that. 2017 Curry had a better playoffs and maintained his historic impact from the year before. And now we're here witnessing some people exclaiming that the comparison is laughable.

I'm telling you, losing that 2016 title changed everything despite the fact that he's just as impactful a player this year as last. Narrative is really against Curry right now.

I mean it wouldn't change the fact that Curry played like garbage in that finals. Win or lose, his season was viewed differently because of his underperformance in the playoffs, not because of one shot made by Kyrie.

Those saying Curry>peak Jordan were wrong then and they'd be wrong if they said it now.
PCProductions
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,989

Post#43 » by PCProductions » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:09 am

mischievous wrote:I mean it wouldn't change the fact that Curry played like garbage in that finals. Win or lose, his season was viewed differently because of his underperformance in the playoffs, not because of one shot made by Kyrie.

Those saying Curry>peak Jordan were wrong then and they'd be wrong if they said it now.

I think it was a legit discussion that was sabotaged by injury and now Durant adds more uncertainty to Curry's seismic impact. It's a funny situation for Curry that makes him suddenly one of the more underrated superstars in our league, and his impact isn't far off peak Jordan.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#44 » by Sark » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:17 am

PCProductions wrote:
mischievous wrote:I mean it wouldn't change the fact that Curry played like garbage in that finals. Win or lose, his season was viewed differently because of his underperformance in the playoffs, not because of one shot made by Kyrie.

I think it was a legit discussion that was sabotaged by injury and now Durant adds more uncertainty to Curry's seismic impact. It's a funny situation for Curry that makes him suddenly one of the more underrated superstars in our league, and his impact isn't far off peak Jordan.

2016 Curry can be compared to a prime Jordan season. 2017 Curry is significantly behind the production that prime Jordan put up.
mihail_petkov
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,431

Post#45 » by mihail_petkov » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:01 pm

Sark wrote:
PCProductions wrote:

2016 Curry can be compared to a prime Jordan season. 2017 Curry is significantly behind the production that prime Jordan put up.

RS 2017 - yes, but PS 2017 Curry was simply amazing. GOAT level playoffs.
28.1 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 6.7 apg, 2.0 spg, 125 ORTG, 105 DRTG, 66% TS, 27.1 PER, 0.272 WS/48, 10.8 BPM, +20.6 On/Off
Triples333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,671

Post#46 » by Triples333 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:11 pm

Joey Wheeler wrote:
RCM88x wrote:
fileman3 wrote:Why on earth would anyone pick curry?

3pt shooting is more valuable than mid-range shooting maybe, and perimeter defense isn't all that valuable.

I'd still go with Jordan though. However I personally don't think is a silly comparison.

But Jordan scored on a higher volume and efficiency anyway. Not just higher volume, much higher volume.

This'd not be close even if the question was simply who the better offensive player is, it's still Jordan easily, at least in the playoffs. When you factor in their defense too...

Scored on a higher volume, but also took a higher volume of shots. 4 more attempts and 5 more FT's a game. Curry's efficiency was down over his prior MVP seasons and 89' MJ was his most efficient scoring season, but it was actually still less efficient than '17 Curry. Obviously with the offensive talent on Golden State in comparison to those Bulls (and in just 33 mpg), no player is going to take as many offensive possessions as MJ then.

Overall, offensively I think it's close and Curry the past few seasons has an argument against anyone in history including peak MJ, but the D of '89 MJ definitely sways him ahead imo.

Return to Player Comparisons