It sickens me that people actually think KD is >>>>

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

mdonnelly1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,325

It sickens me that people actually think KD is >>>> 

Post#1 » by mdonnelly1989 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:19 am

I have this gut feeling that most of the world now thinks KD > Stephen Curry aside from RealGM it's pretty even which is at least respectable.

But NBA 2K has rated KD a 96 and Curry a 94!?? If you think KD is better fine, but 2 WHOLE points better. He should be at best no lower than 1 and more respectively the same rating. I personally feel like Curry is 1 point ahead or at least even.

Also to those who think KD is better than Lebron now......not realizing that he has a top 3 or 4 player in the league pending on your order of Curry/Kawhi/Westbrook.

A top 15 player in the league in Draymond and a Top 25 player in the league in Klay. The bottom line is this. If you switched Lebron James and KD. Warriors would go 80-2 and sweep through the playoffs and finals EASILY.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,973

Re: It sickens me that people actually think KD is >>>> 

Post#2 » by RCM88x » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:25 am

I can understand the 2K ratings just because it doesn't weigh offense and defense in a realistic manner, nor does it weight the value of 3pt shooting more than mid range shooting or whatever. Its not really a good player rating tool imo.

Though yes, I sort of feel the same way. KD has always been slightly overrated as a player in my eyes simply because of the combination of his skill set and size. People rave "ohhhhh he has handles and skill like a SG but is 7ft tall he must be super good", then they see him make a jump shot and claim he's one of the best offensive players ever.

If his production and impact were the exact same but he was only 6'8" I don't think people would rate him nearly as highly as they do.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#3 » by pelifan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:26 am

Everyone but Curry on that team is overrated. Draymond shouldn't even have HOF trajectory.

Curry though is all time. One of the 5 best offensive players ever and the only one other than Lebron to have an argument for best player in the league.
CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,190

Post#4 » by CodeBreaker » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:38 am

Simply because most people see KD scoring, rebounding, blocking, and all more than Curry on that team.

And when you separate them and place KD back to the Thunder, Curry whoops his arse
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,803

Post#5 » by Prez » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:47 am

The general/casual basketball fanbase is always going to gravitate towards the freakish athletic/physical talent with a more "dominant" two-way skill set on paper. Curry's greatness and insane on-court impact will just never be fully appreciated. It sucks but that's just the way it is.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,232

Post#6 » by Statlanta » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:52 am

It's easier for the general public to say KD dominated and is better due to better stats than to analyze the context of why he dominated the stat-sheet almost like Shaq in the Finals.

I don't think 2K is particularly KD bias as Steph was appropriately higher by the end of 2K16
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
thekdog34
Starter
And1: 782

Post#7 » by thekdog34 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:59 am

I argue with my friends about this, and they pay attention to analytics.

It's just weird.

People need to become aware that impact stats>box score stats. They are more predictive.

And KDs box score isn't even better!
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#8 » by Winsome Gerbil » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:09 am

thekdog34 wrote:I argue with my friends about this, and they pay attention to analytics.

It's just weird.

People need to become aware that impact stats>box score stats. They are more predictive.

That's a LONG way from being true. Impact stats can be noisy as hell too. Moreso in fact.

Did you know the Spurs were only +1.6 better in ORTG/DRTG differential last year with Kawhi Leonard on the court vs. off? They were +4.6 with David Lee on/off.

Meanwhile Zaza Pachulia carried a 2.92 RAPM. Marc Gasol carried a 2.58. Karl Anthony-Towns carried a 2.13.
Joey Wheeler
Starter
And1: 1,359

Post#9 » by Joey Wheeler » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:10 am

Basically everyone I talk basketball to irl thinks Durant is the better of the two, to the point where the topic is never really debated because it's just accepted as a given. This even before Durant moved to GSW.

Durant defo isn't better than Lebron, but he's closer to Lebron than someone like Curry is to him. Durant can do most of what Curry does while being much bigger, stronger, more athletic...

Also, it's interesting that despite the fact Curry is mostly widely accepted as the GOAT shooter, Golden State was putting the ball in KD's hands every single time they needed a bucket to stop Cavs runs in the Finals. This happened because aside from his amazing shooting ability KD's size makes it almost impossible to effectively contest his shot, he'll get a good look regardless of what the defense does. That's what won GSW games 3 and 5 of the Finals, KD constantly hitting tough contest midrange (and some 3s) shots in key junctures, the kind of shot Curry struggles to create for himself. That's one of the big reasons KD is better, the other one of course being the big defensive gap.
thekdog34
Starter
And1: 782

Post#10 » by thekdog34 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:34 am

Winsome Gerbil wrote:
thekdog34 wrote:I argue with my friends about this, and they pay attention to analytics.

It's just weird.

That's a LONG way from being true. Impact stats can be noisy as hell too. Moreso in fact.

Did you know the Spurs were only +1.6 better in ORTG/DRTG differential last year with Kawhi Leonard on the court vs. off? They were +4.6 with David Lee on/off.

Meanwhile Zaza Pachulia carried a 2.92 RAPM. Marc Gasol carried a 2.58. Karl Anthony-Towns carried a 2.13.

When it comes to predicting wins and losses, box score stats are terrible unless you blend with impact stats. 538 tried a box score only model last year and it sucked.

I believe the winner of the apbr contest won with a blend of player-tracking plus-minus and rapm two years in a row. And the winner last year was an impact stats model I believe.

Kawhi finished 5th in RPM.

Here's the article by 538:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/whats-new-in-our-nba-player-projections-for-2017-18/

"as a predictive tool, BPM does not appear to be as accurate as RPM. Instead, BPM has trouble picking up on factors such as defense and team cohesion. That led CARMELO to overrate teams such as the Minnesota Timberwolves and underrate more defensive teams such as the San Antonio Spurs last year. If we’d run the numbers using RPM instead of BPM in 2016-17, our projections would have been above-average again

The upshot is that in the short run, we’re using a blend of two-thirds RPM and one-third BPM for this edition of the CARMELO projections. In the long run, we’re interested in developing our own plus-minus stat (but no promises about that quite yet)."
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#11 » by Dupp » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:12 am

My argument for KD is you could probably plug him into any situation and he'd have a bigger impact than curry. As it is now, on the warriors, curry is clearly the petter player to me.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,314

Post#12 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:26 am

It sickens you? That seems like an extreme reaction.
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#13 » by Volcano » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:20 am

KD is being underrated here
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#14 » by bondom34 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:24 am

I don't know about "sickens" but it's an incorrect statement. I think a lot of it comes from the fact that Curry doesn't seem as physically imposing, nor is he as athletic in general. To add to it his box score numbers don't always fly off a page at you like Durant's but he's overall more impactful in a 5 on 5 setting than Durant is. I think a lot of people rate players off of 1 on 1 ability when that's not how the game is generally played.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#15 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:20 am

thekdog34 wrote:
Winsome Gerbil wrote:

It's just weird.

When it comes to predicting wins and losses, box score stats are terrible unless you blend with impact stats. 538 tried a box score only model last year and it sucked.

I believe the winner of the apbr contest won with a blend of player-tracking plus-minus and rapm two years in a row. And the winner last year was an impact stats model I believe.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/whats-new-in-our-nba-player-projections-for-2017-18/

"as a predictive tool, BPM does not appear to be as accurate as RPM. Instead, BPM has trouble picking up on factors such as defense and team cohesion. That led CARMELO to overrate teams such as the Minnesota Timberwolves and underrate more defensive teams such as the San Antonio Spurs last year. If we’d run the numbers using RPM instead of BPM in 2016-17, our projections would have been above-average again

The upshot is that in the short run, we’re using a blend of two-thirds RPM and one-third BPM for this edition of the CARMELO projections. In the long run, we’re interested in developing our own plus-minus stat (but no promises about that quite yet)."

Does predicting better automatically mean it's the better stat? Or can a stat predict better simply by focusing on things that are more predictable?
BigRedWarrior
Sophomore
And1: 26

Post#16 » by BigRedWarrior » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:56 am

A point guard's impact traditionally has been more cast-dependent relative to bigs/wings.

For now, Curry is the better player because of what GS can surround him with; in a vacuum, the median outcome for a KD team would probably be better because of his versatility on both ends.
That's probably why Kerr and others say KD > Curry, but that's pure speculation and subjectivity coming into play.
Really seems to me that RealGm has a good understanding of this concept (evidenced by this thread).
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#17 » by Winsome Gerbil » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:15 am

thekdog34 wrote:
Winsome Gerbil wrote:

It's just weird.

What you are unintentionally suggesting is that impact stats, along with many metrics, are slanted to favor TEAM factors ( especially wins) rather than to cleanly measure individual ability. It is, to be kind, muddy thinking. "Joe plays on a good team. Therefore Joe must be a good player."
Timmaytime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,717

Post#18 » by Timmaytime » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:05 pm

pelifan wrote:Everyone but Curry on that team is overrated. Draymond shouldn't even have HOF trajectory.

Curry though is all time. One of the 5 best offensive players ever and the only one other than Lebron to have an argument for best player in the league.

I would argue Magic as best in the league in at least '87
ComboGuardCity wrote:If Bellinelli drops 50 and we lose I’ll eat my dog
Timmaytime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,717

Post#19 » by Timmaytime » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:05 pm

KD gets points for strength, rebounding, defense, etc. that Curry doesn't while being close to Steph as a shooter. Curry's the better player as of now but the 2k rating makes sense
ComboGuardCity wrote:If Bellinelli drops 50 and we lose I’ll eat my dog
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,677

Post#20 » by penbeast0 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:35 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:
Does predicting better automatically mean it's the better stat? Or can a stat predict better simply by focusing on things that are more predictable?

Automatically? No, okay maybe if it's over the long term. But even used over the course of one year like this it's a pretty good starting point in looking at stats/systems.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.

Return to Player Comparisons