Ignoring rings, why is CP3 not considered a unanimous top 10, fringe top 5 player on this board?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Lost92Bricks
Starter
And1: 2,438

Re: Ignoring rings, why is CP3 not considered a unanimous top 10, fringe top 5 player on this board? 

Post#21 » by Lost92Bricks » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:12 pm

O_6 wrote:But there's just a feeling of "Even if he's ON, the other team can still overcome it" with him. That can't be said for Magic/Curry, and imo Peak Nash had a scarier aura to him because it always felt like he could drop 40 when he wanted to.

There were other players on Magic and Curry's teams that you had to worry about stepping up.

With CP3, he is the best scorer (shouldn't be), passer, and arguably defender on his teams in the playoffs.

He was the best shooter on the Clippers come playoff time.

He was the one like you said that had to try and stop Kevin Durant (and Westbrook). There was no Klay Thompson on his team.

He's definitely played with a couple quality players but there is nobody you could say he benefited from. When has anybody ever said "CP3 was lucky he had ______". Every single player considered "great" had that.

He didn't benefit from his teams. It's the other way around, the Hornets and Clippers were lucky they had him. He helped give them their best stretch in their franchise's history.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,508

Re: Ignoring rings, why is CP3 not considered a unanimous top 10, fringe top 5 player on this board? 

Post#22 » by 70sFan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:19 pm

I love CP3, he's the essence of PG and my favorite playmaker in the league right now but I wouldn't take any of his seasons over what Magic did in 1991 for example. Johnson had better teams for most of his career, but with weaker cast he was still able to take control of the game and win as much as possible. Paul can't do that, mostly because he's injury prone.
rebirthoftheM
Sixth Man
And1: 1,847

Post#23 » by rebirthoftheM » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:14 pm

AdagioPace wrote:
rebirthoftheM wrote:
AdagioPace wrote:simply because reducing everything to an accumulation (over time) of stats is talibanistic way to see things.
Basketball is not "long jump" or "olympic shooting"

In order to reach the legendary status you have to achieve success,fame, you have to show to be capable of herculean efforts when it matters most.
Fulfilling a series of numerical values might put you in an objective exclusive club (no one is denying CP3 is part of the all time elite) but how much that objectivity is worth is still matter of debate. Top 10 players all time are remembered for peculiar feats.
I don't think randomness is the only thing separating cp3 from the Olympus. A top 10 player is a top 10 player for a reason. they are anomalies.
"they don't come easy"
Cp3 is simply not a "once in a 10-15 years player". He's closer to Durant than to TD/KG.
Curry might have a better chance to be included in the top 10 than CP3 does

cp3 should firstly be compared to DRob and K.Malone. That is his company. Then go to the upper block of players if (a BIG if) he goes past those two who are pretty similar players to him

What is a herculean effort to you? Something like KG Game 7 v the Kings in 04? Because honestly, a lot of the criticisms (outside of the longevity/injury stuff) against CP3 are the same stuff thrown at KG.

"herculean effort"
not only a specific event in time like a game 6 or 7

KG was a flat out better player than CP3 at his best,even only considering "the great flatness" of being a great regular season player (and very FEW people are better than RS cp3 !)
Even excluding longevity

KG was like a better version of CP3.
CP3 basically lacked that part of career that Curry is living right now or KG in 04. When you are the best player on the planet (or top 2).
A dynamic peak version of yourself. A period of domination. Every player in the top 10-12 (inlcuding kobe and KG) is recognizable by a 2 years peak (an MVP,a great playoff run, a finals mvp, a carry job etc..)

I'm not creating parameters ex novo. I'm just stating what usuallly makes a top 10 player special

Ahh peak considerations? I wouldnt disagree with the point that he clearly peaked lower than KG (then again KGs 04 RS campaign can stand toe to toe with anyone else)

To play devil's advocate though...there were a couple of years atleast where his ability to be #1 in the L in the stat/metric departments was prevented by the presence of LBJ, a consensus top 5, and a top 3 player of all time IMO. Should CP3 be downgraded because he had the unfortunate circumstances playing in a league with LBJ? Im thinking 14/15

70sFan wrote:I love CP3, he's the essence of PG and my favorite playmaker in the league right now but I wouldn't take any of his seasons over what Magic did in 1991 for example. Johnson had better teams for most of his career, but with weaker cast he was still able to take control of the game and win as much as possible. Paul can't do that, mostly because he's injury prone.

Care to point what you mean by "taking control of the game" as a plus for 91 Magic over CP3? What about 08 CP3?

Jaivl wrote:Oh, of course this was a KG thread after all. Didn't expect less.

:lol:

Paranoia is messy.
thekdog34
Starter
And1: 782

Post#24 » by thekdog34 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:59 pm

I would rank him alongside Kawhi, KD, and Westbrook
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,508

Post#25 » by 70sFan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:13 pm

Magic Johnson played with extremely good teammates in 1980s. In 1991 that wasn't the case though. Despite relatively weak supporting cast Lakers with him beat very strong Portland team as underdogs. He was excellent in playoffs and he was unstoppable in a very unique way. He took more risk in his play than Paul and that made him more turnover prone but also more dangerous. I can't exactly say what makes him so special but you feel that when you watch him.

My biggest problem with Paul is that he's consistently injured in playoffs. One or two minor injures aren't very important, but he just isn't durable enough. Some of his injures really destroyed Hornets/Clippers chances to win it all.

To be fair, I'm not advanced stats guy - I base my conclusion more on eye test and simple stats. Both players impress me a lot, but Magic had more playoffs success not only because he had better teammates. Because it's not true that he always had better teammates. Paul didn't have much luck and that's not fair to blame him for that, but for me it's the same situation as with Duncan and Garnett. They are resonably close, but I prefer Duncan/Magic styles of play and it seems that they created higher chance of success. I'm not sure if it's fair, but I can't explain it better.
Bad Gatorade
Senior
And1: 1,815

Post#26 » by Bad Gatorade » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:35 pm

See, even though there are shades of KG reference in this post (does anybody, even the most statistically inclined, really view CP3 as a top 10?) I kind of agree with you. Not just because I'm the token CP3 guy on this board, but because so many people downplay just how good he has been because "winning bias/aggression lol."

Firstly, no, he's not top 10. Despite his gargantuan statistical production, there are some clear caveats -

He's still in his prime - contrary to popular belief that he peaked at some absurdly high level in 2008/09 that he's never been able to replicate, he's been a fairly similar level player, and that player is a top 5/borderline top 5 player for a decade now. Stats such as his gaudy PER, BPM etc are likely to fall off once CP3 is deeper into his career, so he'll be hard pressed to maintain this type of career statistical production forever. We won't be saying "CP3 is 6th all time in PER" in 10 years time.

Along this note, if one values peak highly, then it's worth noting that CP3 has been at a fairly similar level for such a long time, that there are players that might be, say, better over a 5 year span, but worse than a 10 year span that deserve to be ranked above CP3.

Expanded league - now, I think it's actually slightly harder to be considered a top 5 player now than it has ever been before, because the population that players are drawn from is larger than ever. In other words, being the 5th best player out of 227 million people in 1980 probably isn't quite as hard as being the best player out of 309 million people in 210 (this is incredibly simplified and is ignoring international influence, actual bball playing population, top level talent at certain points in the league etc but you get my point). BUT, I'd say that it's easier to accrue box score stats that stray further from the mean, thanks to the increase in NBA players, than in other eras. Eg, Larry Bird led the league in PER with 25.6 in 1986, and CP3 was 9th last year with 26.2.

Injuries - fairly self explanatory, but obviously worth mentioning. And honestly, anybody choosing to bring down CP3 from injuries isn't doing anything unreasonable at all, IMO. In the same way that Walton isn't considered a top 15 all time player because of injuries, penalising CP3 for his injuries is perfectly okay.

The underrating of other players via the box score - in 2014, the creation of BPM showcased that BPM and RAPM actually rate Paul the same (7.4 from 2001-2014). But, there were players such as Tim Duncan that performed worse in BPM, but better in RAPM across this same period. The takeaway here is that Paul is amazing via either metric, but there's reason to believe that some of the older guys whose box scores are comparable/slightly worse than Paul's could very well also be underrated in terms of actual impact (e.g. Hakeem - not quite as impressive on a metric level as Paul, but he's certainly got a better top 10 case, right?).

That being said, I think CP3 is generally underrated around here too, and I'm one of his biggest (if not the biggest) proponents on this board.

Some of the other reasons that his perception doesn't quite match up to his stats -

His raw box score doesn't stand out - he's a 19/10 guy. Even though he performs better in terms of impact than the other guys who get 19/10 (or better) such as Westbrook, Harden, Wall etc, it's hard to believe that a guy averaging 19/10 is still elite whilst not putting up video game numbers.

His game doesn't stand out as aggressive - one of the factors that makes Paul so good is that he doesn't make many mistakes. This is often criticised, i.e. I sometimes feel like people would prefer a guy averaging 20-10 with a TS% of 55 and 3 TOVs than CP3 doing the same with a higher TS% and fewer turnovers.

He's 6'0 - one of the selling points of Paul's game is his defence. This is reflected in his DRAPM (although it's not strictly his defence giving CP3 a higher DRAPM), and people often handwave this because he's short, and "therefore does not impact the game the way that a larger guard does." I actually don't disagree that Paul's defensive stats might be overrated relative to a guy like LeBron (whose DRAPM is similar, but clearly turns it up more in the playoffs) but IMO, they're dismissed far too easily based on his height. The guy is destroying point guard DRAPM right now.

People look harder to criticise CP3 - because he hasn't made the conference finals yet, I feel like people look harder to actually come up with weaknesses for CP3 than for other players. A lot of people state that CP3 isn't aggressive as a scorer, although he shoots at a notably higher rate than, say, Magic, who is never criticised for not shooting enough. And he shouldn't be - the way Magic did things works wonderfully, and he shouldn't have done it any differently. But because Magic won, this is never, ever brought up in a comparison. In no way am I saying Paul is better than Magic, but Magic (who feasted on some stupidly easy teams in the 80s, whereas Paul has never played an elimination game against a team winning under 51 games) is certainly criticised less because of his good fortune.

But, where my contention lies, is that people literally look at the win/loss result and come up with a conclusion. All too many times, I've heard people champion CP3's game 7 vs the Spurs as a display of aggression (when he took only 13 shots, only 5 free throws and had only 6 assists + 1 turnover. In other words, according to what many people state, one of CP3's clearly lower volume playoff games is apparently one of his rare showcases of aggression. And it bugs me, because the Clippers won by 2, and Paul shot lights out (5-6 from 3). If Paul shoots 4-6 from 3 instead, which is still a very, very good percentage, all of a sudden, the Clippers lose by 1, and Paul is "simply a choker again." Paul's career clutch playoff stats + elimination game results are outstanding, even against his ridiculously tough opposition.

If we look at the series where Paul played well (thanks to the box score), and his team got eliminated, his team has an average ORTG of +5.7. That's... pretty good. Without crunching the numbers now, I'm almost sure that this would be higher without his paltry Hornets supporting cast - I recall something like a +8.0 from the years 2013-2015. In other words, his team is still playing really good offence, even when they lose. The reason that CP3's teams tend to bow out of the playoffs is because they completely collapse on defence at the worst times. And before anybody mentions Westbrook in 2014, it's worth noting that Westbrook's numbers were epic in 2014 because he was on fire, not because he wasn't defended (his % of contested jumpers went up from 41% to 64%!). To an extent, this is because of team construction (and that's partly on how the Clippers have chosen to build around Paul), but if a team with Isiah Thomas can almost 3 peat based on a strong defensive supporting cast, I don't see why arguably the best defensive PG in the league (who is also an elite offensive player) couldn't do the same.

This isn't to say that he's without his flaws, but a lot of the criticism that he receives is simply because people look to find reason to criticise him, because he hasn't won.

Nobody looks to criticise Wade's clutch scoring game, because he won, but...

2006-11 Wade in the playoffs (clutch) - 27.3 PP36, 51.9 TS%
2012-17 Paul in the playoffs (clutch) - 26.1 PP36, 64.4 TS%

Would anybody, at all, have picked that to be the case without looking it up? (FWIW, the regular season sample for Wade is also quite underwhelming on this front).

I could mention more, but I'm at work atm, so I have to stop the post here. But yeah, that's some food for thought.
I use a lot of parentheses when I post (it's a bad habit)
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#27 » by Warspite » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:42 am

"Hello you play to win the game."

Your stats tell us how/why you won. If you lost your stats are without meaning. I don't care what your TS% is in home playoff games that you lost. I would much rather have a guy with more TOs, a lower FG% that wins.
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
magicmerl
Analyst
And1: 830

Post#28 » by magicmerl » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:51 am

Bad Gatorade wrote:People look harder to criticise CP3 - because he hasn't made the conference finals yet, I feel like people look harder to actually come up with weaknesses for CP3 than for other players.

Is this really true? I mean, it's easy to explain lack of success by a player by pointing the finger at his teammates. But I think the onus is on the 'pro' people to advocate for a 'winning' player when his teams don't, well, win.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#29 » by Ballerhogger » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:57 am

The lack of playoff success the 3-1 blown Semfinals lead as clipper. His MVP candidate year against Kobe was pretty good . The injuries probably hurt him the most overall
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,592

Post#30 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:29 am

One thing is ignoring rings, another is ignoring the complete lack of PO success

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using Tapatalk
Слава Украине!
ThaRegul8r
Head Coach
And1: 3,019

Post#31 » by ThaRegul8r » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:35 am

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:One thing is ignoring rings, another is ignoring the complete lack of PO success

Presumably that was the point of beginning with "ignoring rings." Since you first have to have some kind of PO success in order to be in a position to win a ring, that was a preemptive measure.

(Obligatory disclaimer that I don't care about Paul one way or another.)
I remember your posts from the RPOY project, you consistently brought it. Please continue to do so, sir. This board needs guys like you to counteract ... worthless posters

Retirement isn’t the end of the road, but just a turn in the road. – Unknown
rebirthoftheM
Sixth Man
And1: 1,847

Post#32 » by rebirthoftheM » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:35 am

Warspite wrote:"Hello you play to win the game."

Your stats tell us how/why you won. If you lost your stats are without meaning. I don't care what your TS% is in home playoff games that you lost. I would much rather have a guy with more TOs, a lower FG% that wins.

This makes little sense in the sense that it ignores differences in supporting casts completely. Basketball is a team sport. If one superstar is outplaying another in a series, but the latter's team wins, I would think the more appropriate approach would be to consider the reasons why the latter team won.

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:One thing is ignoring rings, another is ignoring the complete lack of PO success

By PO success, do you mean him not making the western conference finals? Isn't that an arbitrary distinction to make? What to you is "PO success"?

I mean, back in the mid 00s, getting out of the first round was the marking point. Tmac used to be endlessly criticized for always losing in the first round. It's very slippery approach.
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,151

Post#33 » by AdagioPace » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:54 am

rebirthoftheM wrote:
Warspite wrote:"Hello you play to win the game."

This makes little sense in the sense that it ignores differences in supporting casts completely. Basketball is a team sport. If one superstar is outplaying another in a series, but the latter's team wins, I would think the more appropriate approach would be to consider the reasons why the latter team won.

By PO success, do you mean him not making the western conference finals? Isn't that an arbitrary distinction to make? What to you is "PO success"?

I mean, back in the mid 00s, getting out of the first round was the marking point. Tmac used to be endlessly criticized for always losing in the first round. It's very slippery approach.

are we talking about cp3 candidacy for a top 10 all time spot or a top 5 player in the league? Because I consider CP3 to be one of the best in the league.
In the first scenario we need some special/abnormal material to work with. I'm not satisfied about: "cp3 still performs good when he loses, he's efficient, there's some tough competition nowadays"

because
we're talking about whether he deserves a top 10 spot all time!!
as you alluded in your first post

"basketball is a team sport"
I agree only until a certain level. Unlike other sports like soccer a Basketball Superstar can have huge impact, way bigger than 1/5 or 20%. The more impact you exert the more you are responsible for the results of your team and the performances of your teammates. I never see this mentioned often but it's an intuitive connection. Instead what I hear is: "the bigger the impact,the more excusable you are. Blame teammates 10.0"
It's not like CP3 performances are completely detached from team results. He's embedded in his team,in the best and in the worst. Even if you want to give him a pass for his team's shortcomings,every top 10 player has shown multiple times to overcome their team's deficiencies by stepping up in crucial situations or they were able to limit at minimum the situations where they didn't.
top 10 players in history are such because they deserve a big share of merits regarding their championships. I'm firm believer of the term: "ring shares".
-----------
Efficiency (CP3 is basically the poster boy) is often been overrated because completely ignores context:
WHAT
WHERE
WHEN

I put myself in an alien's shoes that watches basketball for the first time:
He could jump to the conclusion that efficiency is first and foremost a symptom of shyness/passivity and he wouldn't be wrong
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#34 » by Winsome Gerbil » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:57 am

O_6 wrote:Long story short... he's not a "Game Breaker", he's a "Game Manager". His lack of playoff success also allows a lot of people to view his downright historic efficiency as overrated.

But just think about the following sentence...

Arguably the most efficient PG ever on offense + tenacious defender who has spent stretches guarding a prime Durant (a 7 foot scoring monster)

I mean just read that sentence. Chris Paul's diversity of skills is truly mind blowing. Curry/Magic/Nash are probably the only 3 PGs who have been better than CP3 offensively in the 3pt era, yet all of them struggled guarding PGs... forget about being able to guard someone like Durant.

But there's just a feeling of "Even if he's ON, the other team can still overcome it" with him. That can't be said for Magic/Curry, and imo Peak Nash had a scarier aura to him because it always felt like he could drop 40 when he wanted to.

Offensively, there's a "dink and dunk NFL QB" vibe to him... someone who doesn't throw a lot of INTs and makes extremely accurate simple passes, but whose lack of risk-taking hurts his team at times and limits their ceiling.

I'm hoping he's able to explore more of a "Game Breaker" role in Houston next to Harden.

I thought this was especially clever and on point for me:

Offensively, there's a "dink and dunk NFL QB" vibe to him... someone who doesn't throw a lot of INTs and makes extremely accurate simple passes, but whose lack of risk-taking hurts his team at times and limits their ceiling.
Shanghai Kid
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#35 » by Shanghai Kid » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:39 am

I have to say, the "dink and dunk nfl qb" vibe is basically perfectly spot on with how i feel.
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,592

Post#36 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:13 am

rebirthoftheM wrote:By PO success, do you mean him not making the western conference finals? Isn't that an arbitrary distinction to make? What to you is "PO success"?

For Top10 all time?
Think about the top20, the only players arguably in it who didn't win it all are Barkley and Malone, both of them had much more playoff success, they reached the finals and had very dominant RS as well, no less than Paul (quite the opposite).
What kind of arguments you're going to find for him ahead of the likes of jordon, Alcindor, Russell, Duncan, LeBron, Shaq, Hakeem, Magic, Bird, Chamberlain or Kobe, who have multiple rings, multiple rs/finals MVPs and great RS stats as well? And there are still the Malones, Oscar, West, Dirk, Garnett, Barkley...

There's just no case for him in the top10.

On TMac: he's still criticized for not making it out of the first round, and that impacts heavily on how and where he can be ranked.
Слава Украине!
Senior
Sixth Man
And1: 3,668

Post#37 » by Senior » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:02 pm

Bad Gatorade wrote:See, even though there are shades of KG reference in this post (does anybody, even the most statistically inclined, really view CP3 as a top 10?) I kind of agree with you. Not just because I'm the token CP3 guy on this board, but because so many people downplay just how good he has been because "winning bias/aggression lol."

Firstly, no, he's not top 10. Despite his gargantuan statistical production, there are some clear caveats -

He's still in his prime - contrary to popular belief that he peaked at some absurdly high level in 2008/09 that he's never been able to replicate, he's been a fairly similar level player, and that player is a top 5/borderline top 5 player for a decade now. Stats such as his gaudy PER, BPM etc are likely to fall off once CP3 is deeper into his career, so he'll be hard pressed to maintain this type of career statistical production forever. We won't be saying "CP3 is 6th all time in PER" in 10 years time.

Along this note, if one values peak highly, then it's worth noting that CP3 has been at a fairly similar level for such a long time, that there are players that might be, say, better over a 5 year span, but worse than a 10 year span that deserve to be ranked above CP3.

Expanded league - now, I think it's actually slightly harder to be considered a top 5 player now than it has ever been before, because the population that players are drawn from is larger than ever. In other words, being the 5th best player out of 227 million people in 1980 probably isn't quite as hard as being the best player out of 309 million people in 210 (this is incredibly simplified and is ignoring international influence, actual bball playing population, top level talent at certain points in the league etc but you get my point). BUT, I'd say that it's easier to accrue box score stats that stray further from the mean, thanks to the increase in NBA players, than in other eras. Eg, Larry Bird led the league in PER with 25.6 in 1986, and CP3 was 9th last year with 26.2.

Injuries - fairly self explanatory, but obviously worth mentioning. And honestly, anybody choosing to bring down CP3 from injuries isn't doing anything unreasonable at all, IMO. In the same way that Walton isn't considered a top 15 all time player because of injuries, penalising CP3 for his injuries is perfectly okay.

The underrating of other players via the box score - in 2014, the creation of BPM showcased that BPM and RAPM actually rate Paul the same (7.4 from 2001-2014). But, there were players such as Tim Duncan that performed worse in BPM, but better in RAPM across this same period. The takeaway here is that Paul is amazing via either metric, but there's reason to believe that some of the older guys whose box scores are comparable/slightly worse than Paul's could very well also be underrated in terms of actual impact (e.g. Hakeem - not quite as impressive on a metric level as Paul, but he's certainly got a better top 10 case, right?).

With you so far. I personally don't care for stats such as PER/BPM/etc but the injuries thing takes away chances to lead his team. Nothing to do but move on.
His raw box score doesn't stand out - he's a 19/10 guy. Even though he performs better in terms of impact than the other guys who get 19/10 (or better) such as Westbrook, Harden, Wall etc, it's hard to believe that a guy averaging 19/10 is still elite whilst not putting up video game numbers.

I don't agree with this. People using the box-score as a primary separator tend to get googly-eyed with CP's efficiency and assist totals. Westbrook and Harden are outlier seasons, but one of the reasons CP used to get traction over someone like Kobe was because of the assists and everything that came after that (such as AST/TO ratio, AST%, etc). The blowback against PPG and volume scoring made people view assists as more "valuable".
His game doesn't stand out as aggressive - one of the factors that makes Paul so good is that he doesn't make many mistakes. This is often criticised, i.e. I sometimes feel like people would prefer a guy averaging 20-10 with a TS% of 55 and 3 TOVs than CP3 doing the same with a higher TS% and fewer turnovers.

He doesn't make many mistakes, but does that mean his ceiling is lower? And if so, would you rather have the guy with the higher floor or higher ceiling in the playoffs?

He's 6'0 - one of the selling points of Paul's game is his defence. This is reflected in his DRAPM (although it's not strictly his defence giving CP3 a higher DRAPM), and people often handwave this because he's short, and "therefore does not impact the game the way that a larger guard does." I actually don't disagree that Paul's defensive stats might be overrated relative to a guy like LeBron (whose DRAPM is similar, but clearly turns it up more in the playoffs) but IMO, they're dismissed far too easily based on his height. The guy is destroying point guard DRAPM right now.

What makes PG defense so valuable isn't just defense at the 1, it's the size to switch onto 2s and 3s without getting torn apart. Look at all the elite PG defenders. Payton. Kidd. Frazier. Mookie Blaylock. Dennis Johnson. All of them had a good 3-4 inches on CP and Frazier was 6'7". CP3 is incredibly smart, he prevents shot attempts well through his positioning and beating his man to his spots, but against anyone 6'4" and up it's going to be tough for him to do much. His defense vs Durant was a perfect storm - overrated handles from Durant + surprise factor + inability to maintain that kind of defense for long stretches. That Game 4 4th quarter + Game 5 is basically the only time KD had trouble, so although the defense was definitely impressive, I'm not counting on it being any kind of trump card in the playoffs. I know for sure the Clippers almost always got pasted on defense in the playoffs, and I'd be surprised if CP maintained a defensive impact close to his RS DRAPM. Not his fault, but size matters (ha).

People look harder to criticise CP3 - because he hasn't made the conference finals yet, I feel like people look harder to actually come up with weaknesses for CP3 than for other players. A lot of people state that CP3 isn't aggressive as a scorer, although he shoots at a notably higher rate than, say, Magic, who is never criticised for not shooting enough. And he shouldn't be - the way Magic did things works wonderfully, and he shouldn't have done it any differently. But because Magic won, this is never, ever brought up in a comparison. In no way am I saying Paul is better than Magic, but Magic (who feasted on some stupidly easy teams in the 80s, whereas Paul has never played an elimination game against a team winning under 51 games) is certainly criticised less because of his good fortune.

Eh, the thing with Magic is that his Lakers defeated better teams than Paul's teams did. Say what you will about the supporting cast, but teams such as the Sixers, Celtics, and Pistons were just stacked as LA and LA went 5-3 against them. Replace Magic with CP3 on those Showtime teams and I think they lose to at least Boston and Detroit. Magic's raw averages are probably inflated because of the terrible Western defenses but he has the benefit of the doubt because he won against the Eastern Finals teams.

I'll get to the last point later, but that's definitely the most interesting divide on CP to me. Why haven't his obscene numbers translated into any meaningful playoff runs?
Lost92Bricks
Starter
And1: 2,438

Post#38 » by Lost92Bricks » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:22 pm

Senior wrote:I'll get to the last point later, but that's definitely the most interesting divide on CP to me. Why haven't his obscene numbers translated into any meaningful playoff runs?

It's not only the playoffs, his teams are inferior to the best teams in the west even in the regular season.

The Kobe era-Lakers, Durant/Westbrook-era Thunder, Spurs and the Warriors were all better than the Hornets and Clippers.

Even in the regular season, those were the teams people had in the WCF every year.

If you want to go into why his teams have not been better in the regular season then go ahead.

But there isn't some "flaw" in his game that prevents him from winning specifically in the playoffs.

If he plays his career in the east and faces 45 win Hawks teams in the 2nd round instead of Durant and Westbrook does that make him a better player?

Would we be talking about him "lowering" his team's ceiling then?
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,685

Post#39 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:44 pm

Like, Top-10 player ever? I could flip it around and say that what would be the case even with the gaudy statistics? WS/48 and RPM don't, by themselves, make a Top-10 player resume.

I'm not usually a proponent of team success being a large factor in evaluating overall greatness, but in a case like CP3 who's been surrounded by ample talent for a good portion of his career now, you can't just throw out the fact that his teams have always underwhelmed relative to Expected Win-Loss and SRS. Like the poster said immediately above me, it's not just about Ringzzz, it's about team success across the board (RS and postseason) never translating from what his gaudy impact numbers should theoretically project. There's a disconnect in where people refuse to believe that there are sometimes exceptions to the rule even with widely accepted numerical metrics.
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,753

Post#40 » by G35 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:09 pm

OrlandoTill wrote:As I said on the GB
I believe the general public isn't fully up to date on advanced stats and don't care about longevity that much(at least in comparison to peak/prime). Curry's and Westbrook's single season peaks match or top Paul's. Damian Lillard, Mike Conley, Kyle Lowry, James Harden, Isaiah Thomas have enjoyed just as much team success as Chris Paul.

Circa 2008-2012 he received the benefit of the doubt by being called the best statistical PG in a league of PGs like Deron Williams, Derek Fisher, Jason Kidd, Mario Chalmers, Jameer Nelson, Rajon Rondo, Andre Miller, Jose Calderon. He doesn't get that anymore now that is prime is mostly over.

I say this as a guy who owns more Chris Paul jerseys than of any other player in the league.

But I'm confused, why wouldn't his statistics hold weight for the informed basketball fan regardless of where CP3 is in his career? The data is clear and we have seen him during his career...all the information is there....we've used all the tools. It should be clear that CP3 is at least a top 20 player all time with the supporting data.......
I'm so tired of the typical......

Return to Player Comparisons