Pablo Novi wrote:.

john248 wrote:.

mdonnelly1989 wrote:.

Senior wrote:.

twolves97 wrote:.

CodeBreaker wrote:.

JoeMalburg wrote:.

dhsilv2 wrote:.

Just a reminder to BOLD your votes. This was a requirement stated at the beginning of the project, and your vote may not get counted otherwise.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,669

Re: RealGM 2017 Top 100 List: #34 

Post#2 » by penbeast0 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:55 am

PG -- Frazier has traditionally been my top choice among the remaining PGs. He's the guy I want shooting it, he ran an offense well known for doing all the right things ("It's Clyde's ball, he just lets us play with it," Willis Reed), he was great in the only two titles in Knicks history, and of course I grew up hating him. But, looking at the impact of Jason Kidd who consistently ran below average offenses until the very end of his career as a 3 and D player around Dirk Nowitzki, I was really surprised to see how much better the Gary Payton led offenses in Seattle were than Frazier's in NY (and of course than Kidd's in Phoenix and NJ which were weak). Frazier's offenses were in the top half of the league, Payton's were better with good shooting wings, Shawn Kemp (for better and for worse), and mediocre center play. During the 6 years he played for George Karl, a reasonable facsimile of Payton's prime, the offenses he led (and their is no doubt that Payton was always Seattle's leader) averaged 5 points better offensively than the league . . . finishing 2nd in the league twice, 3rd twice, 5th once, and 8th once.

Add to that Payton's defensive rep, his longer prime), and Frazier's playing much of his career in the relatively weak era of the 70s and I think I have to switch to the Glove or be inconsistent in my analysis and criteria. His scoring blows away the likes of Jason Kidd too (though not Frazier). Especially for PGs, team offense matters and the personnel isn't grossly in Payton's favor but the results are. I am looking at the Detroit pair of Thomas and Billups over Kidd too.

SG -- Like the PGs, the guy with the best 5 year prime has a very short career (as short as Curry and unlike Curry, his knees left him a shadow of himself for his last few years). That would be Sidney Moncrief, the GOAT defensive 2 and a superefficient, 20ppg scorer on a spread the wealth offense (sensing a theme!). George Gervin is probably the next greatest. High volume, high efficiency scorer who led good teams often with lesser talent to the playoffs for a long time. Admittedly his defense is a problem. Reggie Miller and Sam Jones are also worth considering, maybe Ray Allen too. Lots of scorers here.

SF -- Best SF left could be Alex English, Paul Pierce, Adrian Dantley (who I feel gets an unfair rap at times), or 50s star Paul Arizin. Players who bring great defense instead of great offense would include Bobby Jones or Shawn Marion. Could be Rick Barry but his crappy attitude is a problem and his defense is Gervinesque; however his 1975 run is legendary so he does get some consideration here. However, I would take English, Pierce, Jones, or Marion over Barry if I were actually building a team, no matter the era. It's a team game and despite 1975, Rick Barry is not a good team player great as he was individually.

PF -- What to do with Hayes, McHale, Webber, Amare, and Dennis Rodman. I think some of these guys compare to the current candidates, particularly McHale. No sure I'd have him higher but I think it's a comparison worth looking into.

C -- The next C that I have is Artis Gilmore, outstanding defensive peaks though Gilmore's was in the ABA (not nearly as impressed by his post merger defense), superefficient but not aggressive scorer, mediocre passer. Similar to a significantly taller but shy Dwight Howard. Gilmore's 75 run would have been at least as legendary as Barry's, especially since it was arguably the worst year of Dan Issel's long career, but the big name writers generally didn't watch the outlaw league. I don't have Mel Daniels, Willis Reed, or Dave Cowens quite as high.

PICK: THE GLOVE

Alternate: The A-Train mainly for his ABA years.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,834

Post#3 » by Joao Saraiva » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:47 am

Guys I considered for this spot:
Gary Payton, Jason Kidd, Artis, Frazier, Billups, Barry...

I know this is not gonna be too useful right now but:

1st vote - Chauncey Billups - Hell yeah I'm voting for him.

This guy was a great PG. He was a great closer, he was the 1st option on those Pistons teams that were very successfull - several conference finals appearence, a tittle in 04 and another finals presence in 05 (and he did very well against the Spurs).

Billups was a very good scorer: didn't put up gigantic volume but he did put great efficiency. Constantly flirting with 60ts%.

He was also a very good playmaker: his ast/to ratio was very good. Usually made the right play. Not among the greatest gamblers of all time, but he certainly did make the right play and did make it happen.

Now this is something that doesn't show up on stat sheets. Billups was a great pace controller, and a great decision maker on when to go for the score himself or when to distribute. I think his pace control was essential on those Pistons teams, and it's not surprise for me that Detroit fell apart after he left and Denver (and Carmelo) did great with Billups on the squad.

Also he was not an exploitable guard on defense. He had the size to switch more than most guards and he was a good one on one defender too. Again, not much of a gambler but he had very good movement of his feet and stayed in the right spots.

With his size he also was smart to read mismatches. Put a smaller guard on him and he'll definitely take it to the post and be effective.

I know his stat sheet is not that impressive compared to others, but just like Kidd I think Billups bring up something special to the table. I like him more than Kidd because during his prime he was a great shooter, and I feel he was more able to take matters by himself when it mattered than Jason.

I'd also like to add the fact that he usually played very well in the playoffs. The way I see it he has 6 really relevant long playoff runs. Feel confident with him over Payton, since I believe Billups was a better playoff performer.

[b]Alternate vote: Walt Frazier
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#4 » by Winsome Gerbil » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:03 pm

well, obviously I'm once again going to go with Barry as my #34 now. But #35 is less clear, except that it is almost surely going to be a small guard. In fact I think the strongest guys perhaps all the way out to #40 are going to be smaller guards. If the Top 20 is the land of the giants, then this #25-#40 range is where the guards get their revenge. So:

34) Barry

Serious candidates for #35:

Cousy -- about time we start the conversation now. Like Mikan I don't know how you fairly assess his pioneering game against successors who were all superior basketball players. But like Mikan, I think once you run out of the special PGs, its about time to think about recognizing the grandfather of the position with the fistful of early rings.

Frazier -- think in years past he was even up in the 20s with his two way fill up the boxscore game, although I'm not sure he was a standalone superstar

Isiah Thomas -- had a backer long ago in this project, but it really is getting about time that he makes an appearance. I don't know how to condone the relatively modest numbers, but once upon a time nobody doubted his greatness, and he was the leader of a multiple time championship squad.

Iverson -- not a popular figure on this board, but undeniable as a standalone MVP who carried his team to the Finals, a 4x scoring champion, 11x All Star and 7 time All NBA guy. When he retired considered the greatest little guard of all time.

Westbrook -- as I mentioned when Curry was taken, once you do that, then Westbrook is absolutely in the running not long after. In fact his career numbers are bigger, and what he did last year was insane.

Payton -- possibly the greatest defensive PG of all time.

Kidd -- for a long time joined at the hip with Payton in a rivalry for Top PG, but lingered on and on and finally got his ring with Dirk in 2011. 2nd all time in assists.
pandrade83
Starter
And1: 604

Post#5 » by pandrade83 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:16 pm

Pick: Gary Payton
Alternate: Artis Gilmore

My Top Point Guards left (in order): Payton/Kidd/Frazier
My Top Wings left (in order): Barry/Gervin
My Top Center left: Artis

Addressing all the point guards getting traction:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Isiah section

If you're taking Isiah here, I understand the case. You're putting all the weight on leadership and playoff clutch performance. Regular season stats don't matter to you and it's hard to build a case around Isiah based on advanced metrics.

So, let's compare playoff results:

During Payton's 10 year prime ('94-'03) he put up 24-8-5, 2 steals, 3 Turnovers & 53% TS.
During Isiah's 10 year prime ('83-'92) he put up 20-9-5, 2 steals, 3.3 Turnovers & 52% TS.

Very comparable - probably a slight edge to Payton but it's close; if the Isiah supporter wanted to call it a wash, I'm OK with that.

Next, let's look at closeout/elimination game performance:

Same time periods -

Isiah put up 21-9-5, 2 steals & 3.1 Turnovers on 50% TS
Payton put up 23-8-6, 2 steals & 2.7 Turnovers on 55% TS

Payton gets a fairly decisive edge here.

Next, let's look at how they performed during the later rounds. For Payton during the prime I referenced, we only have '96-'98 to look at, so we'll compare that against Isiah's '88-'90 perfomance.

Patyon put up 21-7-5, 2 steals, and 2.9 TO on 55% TS
Isiah put up 20-8-5, 2 steals, 3.5 TO on 52% TS

Again - edge goes to Payton - and keep in mind - that Payton was an elite defender and the only PG to win DPOY. He put up better offensive #'s while being his team's defensive anchor.

You won't see D like this on MJ from Isiah.

I know - Isiah won the rings. Did he light it up in the defining games of the Bad Boys' runs where they overcame/held off an obstacle?

'88 vs. Boston when they slayed the Celtic monster, he went 1-11 for 9 points, 9 assists & 5 rebounds. Not a great game - he was lucky that Vinnie & Edwards went off for 39 off the bench & Dantley got 22. He was really lucky that the defense clamped down on Bird (4/17), Parish & Ainge (4 points combined for those two).

In '89 after Magic pulled his hamstring, the series was never in doubt. But in the Final game, the Lakers clinged to a 2 point lead.

Isiah was fine. He went 5-9 for 14 points, 5 ast & 3 reb. But others like Dumars (23 & 6) were more impactful - and Dumars won the FMVP.

In '90, when Detroit held off Chicago for one last time, Isiah was very good - 21, 11 & 8.
He was very good in the closeout game in the Finals vs. Portland too, taking over with 29 points on 13/20 shooting. He did have 7 turnovers which is a bit much but OK.

My point isn't that Isiah was a poor playoff performer; that would be un-true - this isn't to trash him.

The point is that GP was a stronger playoff performer and that Isiah wasn't this killer who dominated every big win either as he is being lionized for. Payton was a better playoff performer and everything we have shows he was the better overall player in the regular season as well.

As to leadership/competitive spirit, Isiah has a case for the GOAT amongst point guards. But it's not like Payton is poor in this area, he's not Chris Paul or anything. His trash talk was a psychological weapon and he is highly respected by his contemporaries and those who followed him.

Stockton: "Consistent, Tremendous Warrior-like play"
Jason Terry: "My idol Gary Payton"
George Karl: "Gary Payton was the best player I ever coached"
SI posted a great article about how Payton had transformed into a strong leader https://www.si.com/vault/1999/12/20/271562/the-hustler-the-surprising-sonics-are-taking-their-cue-from-brash-gary-payton-who-has-blossomed-into-a-team-leader-as-well-as-the-best-all-around-guard-in-the-game

Had Karl figured out defensive strategy sooner, Seattle could've potentially pulled a monstrous upset over the '96 Chicago Bulls, but alas it wasn't meant to be. Compared to players who we're taking about here, Isiah is as good as you're going to get on the leadership/intangibles component. No one left is better - few are his equal. I'd rate the Glove as above average but not great.

If you're going to take Isiah for his leadership/intangibles, there's a healthy amount of tangibles to overcome first. But let me borrow from a Chuck Klosterman quote in Simmons' book:

"The problem, of course, is my use of the word "tangible". Anything described as tangibly good is inferred to mean intangibly flawed. . . .
His wins validate everything. . . .

The real question is this: who was better in a vacuum? If we erase the social meaning of their careers - in other words, if we ignore the unsophisticated ciche that suggests the only thing valuable about sports is who wins the last game of the season - which of these two men was better at the game?"

The answer is fairly clearly Payton - and that's after engaging Isiah on his turf. Isiah's intangibles will have me taking him over players who were probably statistically better. But I'm not quite to the point of supporting Isiah yet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Cousy Section

Looking at the pre-Russell era, adjusting for nutritional benefits & population growth would basically yield an NBA that had 16 teams composed of all white American born players. Presently there's a little over 40 such players in the real NBA so we don't even have enough players to fill out the starting lineups. This means you have a bunch of guys who aren't making a living playing basketball today playing in this league - we're talking guys like former Louisville stars Kyle Kuric and Luke Hancock. Your best players in that league would be Kevin Love & Gordon Hayward. Cousy couldn't lead a team to the finals in that era and was consistently eliminated by Dolph Schayes - who was the best player on a title team in that era. None of Cousy's contemporaries are getting any support - and some achieved more (see: Schayes).

Then when Russell comes along, Boston starts winning all kinds of championships but the offensive rating drops even as the pace remains relatively constant (an outlier to the fast side) relative to rest of league, so it's fairly obvious that they're winning with defense (i.e. - Russell). For me, it's hard to take Cousy as a candidate at this stage.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Kidd section

Jason Kidd is the best regular season point guard left. I'm taking Payton for being the stronger playoff performer in their prime & for being better on intangibles.

Playoffs:

Kidd ('98-'07): 16-9-8, 2 steals, 3.4 TOV, 49% TS
Payton ('94-'03): 24-8-5, 2 steals, 3.0 TOV, 53% TS

Playoffs in clutch/elimination games:

Kidd (same years as above): 17-9-7, 2 steals, 3.7 TOV, 50% TS
Payton (same years as above): 23-8-6, 2 steals, 2.7 TOV, 55% TS

Intangibles:

I view guys competing for the Top 100 spots in 4 categories:

1) Excellent. Their leadership qualities & characteristics had a materially positive impact on those around them; they are effectively a 2nd coach for the team, guys will kill for this player and they embody what it means to be a teammate - these players will be nominated before their playing impact says they should. Remaining example: Isiah Thomas

2) Good. These are strong competitors, they show up in big games, they can be a psychological/emotional leader and they're well respected by their teammates. The difference between this group and the above group is that no one is voting them in early because of it - it's not something where there's reams of quotes available on it. Remaining example: Gary Payton

3) Indifferent/Mixed: They're not hurting the team in the locker room/on the sidelines/off the court but the lack of fire/drive/interaction with others means that they need another emotional leader to reach their potential and/or they're hyper-competitive in a way that hurts the team. Gilmore is an example because of his lack of fire, CP3/Oscar probably hurt their teams based on what we know.

4) Cancerous: They're doing something off the court which causes a major distraction and actively impairs the team's ability to win. The team is not reaching their full potential explicitly because of something this guy does.

This article outlines Kidd's escapades well and while they are slightly overstate the effects, the incidents themselves all happened.
http://thebiglead.com/2014/06/30/jason-kidd-brooklyn-milwaukee-toni-braxton-wife-power-play-failed/

There's just too much of Kidd's career where he's in that bottom tier. Gary Payton isn't the best leader of an NBA Team ever, but the difference between Payton & Kidd in this area plus the superior playoff performance gives GP the edge.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frazier

My logo shows I'm a Knicks fan. :nonono:

I respect what's came before my era and have gone back & watched some of those meaningful games from that era. I think Frazier is great - he's a ton of fun to watch. Ultimately, GP gets the edge for longevity. Frazier doesn't really have a useful pre OR post prime.

If we look at his 7 All-D Years as his prime, Payton basically delivers everything Frazier does, plus 2 more of those years. On top of that, we get an extra 5 years of Payton as a functional/useful starter PLUS a 6th man role in Miami where he was pivotal in the two finals.

That's too much of a trade off for me.

I don't think Billups will get enough support to challenge Payton this round and I'm also out of time.
euroleague
General Manager
And1: 1,869

Post#6 » by euroleague » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:58 pm

Vote: Cousy
Alt: Isiah Thomas
HM: Rick Barry
HM2: McHale

Defended my votes in past threads. Don't like to copy paste.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,712

Post#7 » by eminence » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:03 pm

For those supporting Cousy for his pioneering, what would you say that he pioneered that we hadn't already seen from players like Davies or Haynes?
I bought a boat.
90sAllDecade
Starter
And1: 793

Post#8 » by 90sAllDecade » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:38 pm

Hey guys, I've been playing real life games so I'm late to the party. I've always wanted to learn more about players in this range, so I may play the role of wild card as I have no favorites here.

Gary Payton looks good here, although I will research Gilmore and Moncrief among others and contribute to the conversation. I'm open to arguments and my mind can be changed.
NBA TV Clutch City Documentary Trailer:
https://vimeo.com/134215151
THKNKG
Pro Prospect
And1: 368

Post#9 » by THKNKG » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:53 pm

I'm considering Rick Barry, Gary Payton, and Reggie Miller for this spot.
All-Time Fantasy Draft Team (90 FGA)

PG: Maurice Cheeks / Giannis
SG: Reggie Miller / Jordan
SF: Michael Jordan / Bruce Bowen
PF: Giannis / Marvin Williams
C: Artis Gilmore / Chris Anderson
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,201

Post#10 » by Outside » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:10 pm

Pick: Barry
Alternate: Thurmond

HM: Frazier

(Repeat of my vote from the prior thread.)

Barry was a great scorer and passer, and while not a great defender, he had a great BBIQ that helped him get steals (averaged 2.0 steals for the second half of his career; steals weren't recorded for his first seven seasons).

RS averages of 24.0 pts / 6.7 reb / 4.9 ast / 52.5 TS% (1,020 games)
PS averages of 27.3 pts / 6.4 reb / 4.3 ast / 51.8 TS% (105 games)

During the Warriors' title run in the 1975 PS, Barry averaged 28.2 pts / 5.5 reb / 6.1 ast / 2.9 steals. He was an unstoppable force. In the finals, the Bullets resorted to having Mike Riordan club Barry from behind, trying to instigate a fight to get Barry thrown out, but coach Al Attles went after Riordan so that he'd get thrown out instead of Barry. Golden State won in the most improbable sweep in NBA history. The Bullets at 60-22 had tied for the best record in the league and had Wes Unseld, Elvin Hayes, and Phil Chenier, while the Warriors were only 48-34 that season.

I'm introducing Thurmond as someone deserving of traction soon. More about him next.
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by Outside » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:11 pm

Nate Thurmond. Nate the Great. My favorite player ever, so I can't claim to be impartial, but I can be his advocate for this project.

Thurmond was a great, great defender and rebounder, and his offense was very good. Even though he was better at defense than Wilt and Kareem and better at offense than Russell, his profile never rose above those three, and he's overlooked because of it.

Defensively, he was second only to Russell. The Warriors with Thurmond were consistently top 5 in DRtg, including 2nd or 3rd for a four-year stretch, and that was with Russell's Celtics in the league. When the league began recognizing All-Defensive Team honors in 1968-69, his sixth season, he was 1st team twice and 2nd team three times.

He was an exceptional shotblocker, one of the best the game has ever seen, but blocks weren't recorded until 1973-74, his 11th season in the league. Even though the game had taken a toll on his knees by that point, he was still top 10 in blocks the next two seasons (8th and 3rd).

Once blocks and steals became official stats, another stat became possible -- the quadruple-double. Thurmond was the first to record one, with 22 points, 14 rebounds, 13 assists, and 12 blocks. There have been only three other quadruple-doubles since.

But to provide some context, Thurmond said this:

Any good basketball fan knows that there were plenty of quadruple-doubles back in the 1960s... Let me put it this way: I had 12 blocks in my quadruple-double game, and it was my 12th year in the league. That’s with two bad knees and more than 30,000 minutes pounding NBA floors, night after night. You bet I had plenty of quadruple-doubles before 1974. I’m not trying to brag, but there were games where it was ridiculous the number of shots I blocked. When I was young, there were nights when guys couldn’t come close to getting shots off on me. Only Russell could have blocked more in his career.

Said Walt Hazzard: "As for blocking shots, I've seen guys get offensive rebounds and then go back 15 feet to make sure they can get a shot off. They know Nate is there."

Kareem said Thurmond was his toughest opponent. "He plays me better than anybody ever has, He's tall, has real long arms, and most of all he's agile and strong. When I score on Nate, I know I've done something."

Wilt Chamberlain: "Nate Thurmond was an incredible defensive basketball player. He played me as well as Bill Russell."

As a rebounder, Thurmond was one of the best:

-- NBA record for rebounds in a quarter - 18
-- One of only four players with 40 rebounds in a game (Russell, Chamberlain, Lucas)
-- One of only five players to average 20 rebounds for a season (Russell, Chamberlain, Pettit, Lucas);
-- One of only five players to average 15 rebounds for a career (Russell, Chamberlain, Pettit, Lucas)
-- 10th all time in career rebounds

Offensively, Thurmond had an inside and outside game. He averaged 15 PPG for his career and had five straight 20-point seasons. His outside shot could be inconsistent, but he was one of the earliest centers with floor spacing ability, benefitting his team by drawing the opposing center outside. Often overlooked are the other aspects of his offensive game -- he was an excellent passer for a big man and one of the best at setting screens.

Thurmond had six seasons with MVP shares, including 1966-67, when he came in second to Wilt and well ahead of Russell and Oscar.

Nate Thurmond was beloved by teammates and coaches and respected by opponents. His number 42 jersey is retired by both Golden State and Cleveland.

penbeast0

Post#12 » by penbeast0 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:39 pm

Outside wrote:Nate Thurmond. Nate the Great. My favorite player ever, so I can't claim to be impartial, but I can be his advocate for this project.

Thurmond was a great, great defender and rebounder, and his offense was very good....

I disagree. Thurmond was a very good defender and rebounder and his offense was . . . putrid. As a big man working in the post, his fg% for his career was .421. That's worse than Bill Russell .440 who at least didn't shoot that much and who was a much better passer. . . and is still considered a poor offensive center by most. He may be the worst shooting center that we will consider in the whole top 100 project. His offense was NOT "very good."
penbeast0

Post#13 » by penbeast0 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:42 pm

euroleague wrote:Vote: Cousy
Alt: Isiah Thomas
HM: Rick Barry
HM2: McHale

Defended my votes in past threads. Don't like to copy paste.

People don't generally go back and read old threads. If you don't post reasons, your vote doesn't count . . . that was in the original project explanation.
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#14 » by Outside » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:00 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
Outside wrote:Nate Thurmond. Nate the Great. My favorite player ever, so I can't claim to be impartial, but I can be his advocate for this project.

Thurmond was a great, great defender and rebounder, and his offense was very good....

I disagree. Thurmond was a very good defender and rebounder and his offense was . . . putrid. As a big man working in the post, his fg% for his career was .421. That's worse than Bill Russell .440 who at least didn't shoot that much and who was a much better passer. . . and is still considered a poor offensive center by most. He may be the worst shooting center that we will consider in the whole top 100 project. His offense was NOT "very good."

I consider his offense "very good" in totality, including his passing, screen setting, and floor spacing in addition to offensive production. FG% is just one aspect of offense, and "putrid" is an unfair characterization of Thurmond's offensive game.

His career FG% is less than Russell's, but due to better FT%, their TS% is the same (47.1 vs 47.0), and Russell didn't have anywhere near the range that Thurmond had.

A look at the FG% / TS% of selected other contemporaries:

Mikan: 40.4 / 48.3
Pettit: 43.6 / 51.1
Baylor: 43.1 / 49.4
Hayes: 45.2 / 49.1

Those are all players known for their scoring, three of whom are already voted in, and Thurmond's percentages are comparable.

Then there's Bob Cousy, known more as a passer and floor general but definitely not as a defender who shot 37.5 / 44.6 for his career and 37.8 / 45.2 in his MVP season. Ben Wallace (77th in 2014), like Thurmond known primarily for defense and rebounding, shot 47.4 / 47.4 (not a typo, his FG% and TS% were the same) while taking the vast majority of his shots within five feet of the basket and scoring a paltry 5.7 PPG. Wallace's shooting percentages are worse than Thurmond's relative to his era.

Wes Unseld (69th in 2014) and Dikembe Mutombo (49th in 2014) will get voted in, and sure their percentages are better than Thurmond's, but they were never a primary scoring threat. Unseld was ROY and MVP while being the 5th leading scorer on his team; in that same season, Thurmond averaged more rebounds (19.7 vs 18.2, which was Unseld's career high), points (21.5 vs 13.8), and assists (3.6 vs 2.6), and Thurmond was named 1st team all-defense (Unseld wasn't named to either 1st or 2nd). Unseld was the 5th leading scorer on his team or lower every year except 1971-72, when he was 4th. The year Washington won the title, Unseld was the 9th leading scorer on the team.

Thurmond, on the other hand, was a primary scorer for much of his career:

66-67 - 2nd leading scorer (18.7) behind Rick Barry (35.6)
67-68 - 2nd leading scorer (20.5) behind Rudy LaRusso (21.8)
68-69 - 2nd leading scorer (21.5) behind Jeff Mullins (22.8)
69-70 - 2nd leading scorer (21.9) behind Mullins (22.1)
70-71 - 2nd leading scorer (20.0) behind Mullins (20.8)
71-72 - 2nd leading scorer (21.4) behind Mullins (21.5)
72-73 - 3rd leading scorer (17.1) behind Barry (22.3) and Mullins (17.8)

That's a responsibility that Ben Wallace, Wes Unseld, and Dikembe Mutombo never had, and Thurmond was a better defender than all of them, even Wallace and Mutombo.
penbeast0

Post#15 » by penbeast0 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:06 pm

Outside wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:

I consider his offense "very good" in totality, including his passing, screen setting, and floor spacing in addition to offensive production. FG% is just one aspect of offense, and "putrid" is an unfair characterization of Thurmond's offensive game.

His career FG% is less than Russell's, but due to better FT%, their TS% is the same (47.1 vs 47.0), and Russell didn't have anywhere near the range that Thurmond had.

A look at the FG% / TS% of selected other contemporaries:

Mikan: 40.4 / 48.3
Pettit: 43.6 / 51.1
Baylor: 43.1 / 49.4
Hayes: 45.2 / 49.1

Those are all players known for their scoring, three of whom are already voted in, and Thurmond's percentages are comparable.

Then there's Bob Cousy, known more as a passer and floor general but definitely not as a defender who shot 37.5 / 44.6 for his career and 37.8 / 45.2 in his MVP season. Ben Wallace (77th in 2014), like Thurmond known primarily for defense and rebounding, shot 47.4 / 47.4 (not a typo, his FG% and TS% were the same) while taking the vast majority of his shots within five feet of the basket and scoring a paltry 5.7 PPG. Wallace's shooting percentages are worse than Thurmond's relative to his era.

Wes Unseld (69th in 2014) and Dikembe Mutombo (49th in 2014) will get voted in, and sure their percentages are better than Thurmond's, but they were never a primary scoring threat. Unseld was ROY and MVP while being the 5th leading scorer on his team; in that same season, Thurmond averaged more rebounds (19.7 vs 18.2, which was Unseld's career high), points (21.5 vs 13.8), and assists (3.6 vs 2.6), and Thurmond was named 1st team all-defense (Unseld wasn't named to either 1st or 2nd). Unseld was the 5th leading scorer on his team or lower every year except 1971-72, when he was 4th. The year Washington won the title, Unseld was the 9th leading scorer on the team.

Thurmond, on the other hand, was a primary scorer for much of his career:

66-67 - 2nd leading scorer (18.7) behind Rick Barry (35.6)
67-68 - 2nd leading scorer (20.5) behind Rudy LaRusso (21.8)
68-69 - 2nd leading scorer (21.5) behind Jeff Mullins (22.8)
69-70 - 2nd leading scorer (21.9) behind Mullins (22.1)
70-71 - 2nd leading scorer (20.0) behind Mullins (20.8)
71-72 - 2nd leading scorer (21.4) behind Mullins (21.5)
72-73 - 3rd leading scorer (17.1) behind Barry (22.3) and Mullins (17.8)

That's a responsibility that Ben Wallace, Wes Unseld, and Dikembe Mutombo never had, and Thurmond was a better defender than all of them, even Wallace and Mutombo.

I was reasonably young when I watched him but don't remember him as a good passer at all; and don't remember his screening being anything special either (and as a big Unseld fan back then, I actually cared about that). Feel free to convince me I'm wrong and I will move Thurmond up; I don't give him extra credit for scoring in volumes when he was bad at it . . . and only the 50s guys of those you mentioned (when the league average was appreciably lower) have gotten my support so far.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#16 » by Winsome Gerbil » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:37 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
I was reasonably young when I watched him

Oh come on now, you were never reasonably young :P

Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by Outside » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:21 pm

penbeast0 wrote:I was reasonably young when I watched him but don't remember him as a good passer at all; and don't remember his screening being anything special either (and as a big Unseld fan back then, I actually cared about that). Feel free to convince me I'm wrong and I will move Thurmond up;

As you know, for players from the early years, it's tough to come by data to back up arguments about passing, but it's fair to challenge my assertions. Contemporary players, both teammates and opponents, have credited Thurmond for his passing, but locating those quotes will be time-consuming to come by (though I believe it's mentioned in the video in my first Thurmond post).

In lieu of that, I did a B-R search for centers in Thurmond's prime (1966-67 to 1974-75) who had a season of 4.0 APG or better (http://bkref.com/tiny/hLXrr). There were 27 such seasons during that time period:

6 - Wilt
5 - Kareem
3 - Russell, Cowens
2 - Thurmond, Unseld, Lanier
1 - four players

That at least shows that Thurmond was good in that category.

Regarding screening, all I'll be able to offer to back that up is testimonials from contemporary players. There are no stats for that, and there is precious little video of Thurmond.

I'll see what I can do, but I've got a busy weekend ahead, and it will likely be next week before I can pull something together. Which is fine, because it's not like Nate is a contender to get voted in by then.

I don't give him extra credit for scoring in volumes when he was bad at it

That doesn't make sense to me in the comparison to the players I mentioned. As I pointed out, TS% puts him in a more favorable light than FG%, and Thurmond has clearly better offensive production than Unseld, Mutombo, and Wallace. If he'd been asked to score at their levels, it's a fair assumption that his shooting percentages would've been higher, so it's fair to give Thurmond credit for being a better scorer than those guys.

My overall point is that Thurmond was a better offensive player than one-dimensional guys like Wallace and Mutombo. Wallace averaged 5.7 points for his career, never scored in double-digits in any season, and averaged 41.4 FT% -- are you arguing that he was better offensively than Thurmond?
penbeast0

Post#18 » by penbeast0 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:51 pm

Outside wrote:That doesn't make sense to me in the comparison to the players I mentioned. As I pointed out, TS% puts him in a more favorable light than FG%, and Thurmond has clearly better offensive production than Unseld, Mutombo, and Wallace. If he'd been asked to score at their levels, it's a fair assumption that his shooting percentages would've been higher, so it's fair to give Thurmond credit for being a better scorer than those guys.

My overall point is that Thurmond was a better offensive player than one-dimensional guys like Wallace and Mutombo. Wallace averaged 5.7 points for his career, never scored in double-digits in any season, and averaged 41.4 FT% -- are you arguing that he was better offensively than Thurmond?

No, I don't think there has been a worse offensive player than Ben Wallace in the history of the NBA; you never want him to touch the ball unless it's a wide open layup or a rebound. I was saying that compared to the guys we were looking at here, Thurmond's offense is a liability. When he is matched up against Elvin Hayes or Jermaine O'Neal then it's a different argument. (Fwiw, Mutombo was a high percentage scorer, but with poor hands and passing; Unseld was the GOAT for pick setting and outlet passing so his offensive value, which is still not that high, mainly comes from non-boxscore production.)
penbeast0

Post#19 » by penbeast0 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:54 pm

Winsome Gerbil wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:
I was reasonably young when I watched him

Oh come on now, you were never reasonably young :P

I look good in that picture; still have a six-pack and a full head of hair. :eyebrows:
Pablo Novi
Senior
And1: 233

Post#20 » by Pablo Novi » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:18 pm

Outside wrote:Pick: Barry
Alternate: Thurmond

HM: Frazier

(Repeat of my vote from the prior thread.)

Barry was a great scorer and passer, and while not a great defender, he had a great BBIQ that helped him get steals (averaged 2.0 steals for the second half of his career; steals weren't recorded for his first seven seasons).

RS averages of 24.0 pts / 6.7 reb / 4.9 ast / 52.5 TS% (1,020 games)
PS averages of 27.3 pts / 6.4 reb / 4.3 ast / 51.8 TS% (105 games)

During the Warriors' title run in the 1975 PS, Barry averaged 28.2 pts / 5.5 reb / 6.1 ast / 2.9 steals. He was an unstoppable force. In the finals, the Bullets resorted to having Mike Riordan club Barry from behind, trying to instigate a fight to get Barry thrown out, but coach Al Attles went after Riordan so that he'd get thrown out instead of Barry. Golden State won in the most improbable sweep in NBA history. The Bullets at 60-22 had tied for the best record in the league and had Wes Unseld, Elvin Hayes, and Phil Chenier, while the Warriors were only 48-34 that season.

I'm introducing Thurmond as someone deserving of traction soon. More about him next.

VOTE: Rick Barry
ALTERNATE: Bob Cousy
Honorable Mention: George Gervin

Barry section:

In addition to what Outside says above; Barry had what should have been one of his greatest years stolen from him thru NBA legal manuevers. Even without that year, he is the 2nd highest rated player, by ALL-League selections remaining in OUR selection process here. He had NINE what I call "Great Years", with "Great Years" being defined by getting selected to the ALL-League 1st-Team or 2nd-Team. Only Cousy had more of our not-yet selected players.

MY GOAT-List SYSTEM:

My basic orientation for building a GOAT list is thru comparing how each individual player dominated (or didn't) HIS position during HIS era. No player can do much more than that; and the greater number of years they did that; for me, the higher up my GOAT list they go. My basic CRITERIA is ALL-League selections. (While before the 1960s I "award" lower values given the decidedly lower level of play), since then I "award" 5 "Points" for ALL-League 1st-Team selections; with 2nd-Team selections rising over the decades up to 3 "Points" (60% of 1st-Team "Points"; and 3rd-Team selections rising over the decades to 1.8 "Points" (60% of 2nd-Team "Points").

The INITIAL GOAT list this produces, imo, beats any other GOAT list I've ever seen. This doesn't surprise me at all because who'd be better to judge the comparative level of player of all the players each year than the very set of people whose job it is to report on that.

(After calculating that out; I allow myself a quite limited range for "adjustments" based on all other factors).

COUSY SECTION:
How this relates to Cousy: with his TEN 1st-Team selections and TWO additional 2nd-Team selections (and despite serious discounts for his mostly pre-60's career) - he ends up with more "Points" than any other Point Guard not named: Magic or "O" (btw, I treat Jerry West as a SG; but he "out-points" Cousy by a big amount regardless of what position he is "assigned".). In other words, Bob Cousy is my 3rd highest ranked PG.

My GOAT list system includes one player per position in each descending set of 5 GOAT spots. So that'd put Cousy in the GOAT range of spots: #11-15. Compared to the other players I have in that range (Shaq, Jerry West, Larry Bird, Bob Pettit - in that order); Cousy is last (by "Points" and by my "eye test" and by most other measures) ... so I have Cousy as my GOAT #15 - way above where we are now in OUR selection process.

As to Cousy's low shooting percent - it wasn't unusually low for HIS position in HIS era. As for his team's lack of Play-Off success (prior to Bill Russell and others joining the team); I treat the Post-Season as less significant than most other GOAT - list builders do (mostly because the sample size is less than 10% of the Regular Season - but also because, particularly in the Post Season, which TEAM advances is less individual player-dependent due to: injuries, match-ups, length & difficulty of previous series, etc.)

In sum, Bob Cousy DOMINATED HIS position during HIS era, more than any other Point Guard except Magic & the Big "O" - which is basically all one can ask / require of an individual player.

Return to Player Comparisons