Pablo Novi wrote:.

john248 wrote:.

mdonnelly1989 wrote:.

Senior wrote:.

twolves97 wrote:.

CodeBreaker wrote:.

JoeMalburg wrote:.

dhsilv2 wrote:.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,675

Re: RealGM 2017 Top 100 List: #38 

Post#2 » by penbeast0 » Sat Sep 2, 2017 10:05 pm

I have Walt Frazier as my first pick. He is one of the top 3 or so defensive PGs of all time, an extremely efficient scorer for his day and a PG who ran a share the ball passing offense that coaches raved about and copied for many years. There is a question of primacy between him and Willis Reed but his numbers were better in the championships (a player who elevated his game on the highest stage both offensively and defensively) and, as Reed said, "It's Clyde's ball, he just let's us play with it."

Bob Cousy's early to mid 50s years were certainly elite (in a weak league) but I actually have Paul Arizin's 50s run as stronger than Cousy's and Cousy's post-Russell years were characterized by a lot of truly awful playoff inefficiency.

Westbrook is interesting too. Short and spectacular, but I can't support someone whose primary argument is his ridiculous point/assist totals when his efficiency and turnovers are so poor; at least not yet. Harden is an efficient scorer but his defense is worse than George Gervin's and his turnovers are equally high. If I am going for a short prime player, it's going to be Sidney Moncrief who was an extremely efficient 20 point/game scorer for the 4-5 years his body held up while also being probably the greatest perimeter man defender in the history of the NBA.

However, there are a lot of wings with long, high scoring careers. The aforementioned Arizin, George Gervin (the most likely to take over a game), Alex English, Reggie Miller, Ray Allen, and Paul Pierce are the ones I look at first, before the inefficiency and poor leadership of an Alan Iverson or Pete Maravich.

Defensive forwards Bobby Jones and Shawn Marion (maybe James Worthy and Larry Nance as well) could also get traction but to me, the best big remaining is probably Kevin McHale. I have questions about his ability to deal with consistent double teams as he played his career next to Larry Bird but I think he showed enough when Bird was injured to trust this. He is also less than stellar as a rebounder and post passer but gives you excellent offense and defense in the post with the ability to also defend well out onto the floor.

Vote: Walt Frazier
Alternative: Kevin McHale
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Pablo Novi
Senior
And1: 233

Post#3 » by Pablo Novi » Sat Sep 2, 2017 11:14 pm

VOTE: Bob Cousy
ALT: George Gervin

Of those not-yet selected, only Gervin comes close to Cousy's domination of their own position during their own era. Cousy was selected 1st-Team ALL-NBA TEN times (one of only 10 players ever so honored in the 80 combined years of the: NBL, ABA, NBA); plus two additional 2nd-Team ALL-NBA selections. Sure most of his Great Years were during the 1950's, a decade definitely weaker than all subsequent decades - but he DOMINATED his position for a decade - one can hardly do more or ask for more than that. (Btw, I'm no Celtics' or Cousy fan; nor was/am I a big fan of Gervin's - I liked both of their's play but neither was a favorite of mine).

Gervin was selected ALL-League NINE times (5 X 1st-Team, 4 X 2nd-Team) (the highest number of selections for any player we have not yet voted-in not-named Cousy).

The significance of being selected to ALL-League teams can not be over-stated. The 100++ people who are the selectors are PAID to report on the sport - who could possibly be in a better position to report on which players dominated each year. Further, the large number of them is super-effective in canceling out any individual biases (much like, but much better than: Olympic Diving voting (where the top and bottom votes are eliminated, and the diver's score is based on the remaining votes)).

The ALL-League selection process is so good, that since I've been paying attention to it (the 59-1960 season); I've never had any MAJOR problems with it. Imo, it TRUMPS by a huge margin any and all reliance on any other factor / stat or combination of them. Again, THEY were there, it was THEIR JOB to observe closely and report accurately. They did get it right.

Cousy (and Gervin) had WAY MORE Great Years (as defined here as being selected ALL-League 1st-Team or 2nd-Team) than many of the players we've already voted in to our GOAT list; and WAY MORE Great Years than ALL of the players currently getting more traction than they are.
pandrade83
Starter
And1: 604

Post#4 » by pandrade83 » Sat Sep 2, 2017 11:55 pm

This is coming down to Frazier or Thomas I suspect so most of my Frazier arguments will be centered around him. After doing a lot of homework, my Alternate is a bit of a surprise in Wes Unseld.

Pick: Walt Frazier
Alternate: Wes Unseld

I am not even sure it's close between Frazier & any other PG and I'm going to articulate why I don't see it as close between Frazier & Isiah.

Frazier was the best best player on two title teams - and the advanced metrics (that we do have) back me up on both.

In '73, I think it's generally accepted that Frazier was the best player on the Knicks - I don't really think I have to justify that one.

But did you know that in '70, Frazier led the Knicks in both regular season AND playoff win Shares? Not to mention his epic Game 7 close-out performance against the Lakers?

You might be thinking "wait a sec, Isiah was the best player on 2 chip teams as well".

And I think you're right, although by not as much. Isiah didn't lead either team in regular season win shares, VORP or BPM and he didn't lead the '89 team in playoff win shares - but he did lead both teams in all other metrics.

If you're making your case for Isiah, it's ALL about the playoffs. The gap between Frazier & Isiah in Win Shares is equal to the gap between Lebron & Dr. J to put it in perspective. At the tail end of an (admittedly abbreivated) prime, Frazier hits VORP 6 twice in '74 & '75 - not even his best years - and BPM 5.5+ twice - these are levels that Isiah never achieves. The regular season is

So, then I look at playoff metrics - which is really where Isiah has to make his hay, and I think I give Frazier the edge - and noting the TS% edge is important. There's immense value in having a 20 ppg scorer who shoots 54% TS when the league average is typically around 50. By the time Isiah won his chips, the league average was around 54%, so he was actually doing worse than average.

Frazier ('69-'78):
20.5-7.2-6.4, 2 steals, 54% TS - 4% higher than league average

Isiah:
20.4-8.9-4.7, 2 steals, 52% TS - 2% lower than league average.

Frazier was an outstanding defender as well, making 7 All NBA Teams.

The Isiah supporters love to note how many elite players he knocked out in his title runs so let's compare guys who are already in who were in their prime (being loose with Pippen & Baylor - but I listed both to be consistent) when Frazier/Isiah KO'd them en route to a title.

Isiah - Jordan ('89), Ewing ('90), Jordan ('90), Pippen ('90) Drexler ('90). It's really not as many as you might think. The only time Detroit beat Bird in his prime was '88 - not a title year and he didn't beat Magic or Kareem in their primes - Magic missed virtually the whole series in '89 and Kareem was washed up.

Frazier's Knicks toppled Kareem ('70), Wilt ('70), West ('70), Baylor ('70), Hondo ('73), Wilt ('73), West ('73),

The list of guys Frazier's Knicks knocked out is actually comparable to Isiah's.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what's up with Mr. Unseld and why am I taking him? I have a suspicion that his impact is much larger than what we see in the data and that he had a lot to do with strong team success.

Let's tackle the data piece first.

He hits VORP 5 twice - that doesn't seem that impressive - except when you realize, that doesn't cover a huge part of his career ('69-'73). His Win Shares in the two VORP 5+ years were 10.6 & 9.5; he has 10 other years of 10+ WS where we don't have VORP data. It's likely that he hit VORP 5 6 times - which is a lot for guys that are left. For comparison, that's how many times Gasol & Howard have hit that figure COMBINED.

He gets to BPM 5+ 3 times - but again, that doesn't cover all of his career. If we assume he got there the other 4 times he hit 10 + Win Shares (probably a safe assumption), that gets him there 7 times.

That's as many as Cowens (if we give him credit for '72 & '73) & Reed COMBINED (if we assume he got there in '69-'71).

And he did this without scoring a ton of points either. While his scoring average is fairly low, he impacts the game through strong passing for his position (8 years @ 4+ assists), outstanding rebounding, and being the center for strong defenses (Top 5 3 X pre-Hayes arrival with Top 3 finishes twice, outstanding metrics every time with Hayes).

In the playoffs, he maintains his strong performance - averaging 10/15/4/with 1.8 TOs (on fairly limited data) which is right on par with his career averages.

Unseld's teams win. In his first year, Baltimore improves by 21 games without any other material changes to the roster. He only misses the playoffs once ('81 - his final year). The most infamous defeat one of his teams suffer isn't really on him (the '75 Finals). He does his thing - 12-17-4 on 54% TS. That's who he was.

The only reason he's not higher is because we just don't have data on the era he played in. That shouldn't stop us from recognizing the impact he had on the game and on winning year in year out.
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,666

Post#5 » by scrabbarista » Sun Sep 3, 2017 1:23 am

No complaints about Kidd. I have him 31st. However, I have these two guys slightly higher:

38. Isiah Thomas

39. [Yes, 19 spots higher than he finished in 2014] Elvin Hayes

I. Isiah Thomas is the only player left who was the best player on two championship teams. It could be argued he was also a rolled ankle away from holding that distinction for three championship teams.

[Same as in the last few threads,] here are some excerpts of mine from an old thread on Isiah Thomas:

Isiah is not overrated, unless someone is rating him in the top 20. The simple version - which obviously the media and public at large prefer - is that he was the best player on two championship teams, as well as the best or second best on a team that probably lost a third Finals because he twisted his ankle. He was also the best player on an NCAA champ. Only Jordan, Bird, and Magic made more All-NBA teams in the 80's. All of this is hard to dispute.

The more complex version hinges first and foremost on his elevating his play in the postseason. The post containing his all-time rankings in postseason improvement over the regular season should not be casually glossed over. The vast majority of players decrease their productivity in the playoffs, while the elite of the elite consistently increase it. Thomas' increases are historically high.

Secondly, the complex version states that he led and orchestrated top offenses for nearly his entire career, rather than relied on great defenses. There were four or five seasons when his team's OR even exceeded its DR.

A third point in the complex version is that Thomas was the galvanizing/uniting/driving leader behind the Pistons for all of the 80's. To illustrate, a player from the '88 team team has stated on record that when he and his teammates saw Isiah's heroic fourth quarter performance in game 6 of the 1988 Finals, they finally understood the depth of his determination, and they knew that even if he couldn't contribute in game 7 (he couldn't), they would come back the following year and win it all. Anyone who was paying close attention in 2014 should understand that the Spurs didn't win that year simply because of their system or their talent. The system was perfected and the talent was maximized over the course of nearly one hundred games because of the collective determination and focus that sprang from the agony of Ray Allen's miraculous shot in game 6 of the '13 Finals. Isiah's ankle injury in '88 played the same role as Allen's corner three in '13. If Isiah hadn't had the character, will, and desire that enabled him to excel on virtually one leg, his teammates might have lost a measure of confidence in their leader, and we might be looking at extra championships for Magic, Michael, or Clyde Drexler.

The people who say, "Show me where it says "character," "will," or "desire" on the stat sheet!" and accuse others of being simple-minded or narrative-dominated in their thinking are in fact the ones who fail to see the subtleties in the difference between winning and losing. No one person sees all the subtleties, but we must acknowledge their existence. As an example, when Dwight Howard, in a particularly tense moment in the playoffs, calls out his teammates even when they're doing their best, simply because he thinks he's looked bad on a particular possession, team cohesiveness is damaged as those players realize Dwight cares more about his own image than building up his teammates for the sake of collective success. Then Dwight leaves the court in the next timeout, and those players, still on the court, are trying to regain the focus and flow that Dwight's outburst cost them. Their play diminishes slightly, and Dwight's on/off numbers go up - or the quality of his "supporting cast" appears weaker. The stat sheet is lying - every part of it except the win/loss column. A hundred related scenarios occur in every game, and more occur on the practice court and in the locker room. More can occur in comments made to the media. Heck, this type of stuff has probably even happened in strip clubs.

A person who tries to sell you on a player based solely on stats without a narrative context is like someone who'll tell you he has a great marriage because he lasts a long time in bed with his wife - and then tells you exactly how long, down to the second.

I'm not one to echo Vince Lombardi's "winning is the only thing" quote. (That, too, would ignore context.) Karl Malone, in my opinion, had twice as good of a career as Isiah Thomas. But Thomas is a top 25 player [Top 28 now] because winning is the one "stat" that tells us what all the other stats never could. Winning is a coordinate on an imaginary graph: where a player's talent meets his daily determination to maximize it.

--------------

"I don't know man, I can't really get behind motivation and leadership being this huge of a factor into deciding who is greater. But we'll get to that."

I just can't help but what wonder what kind of life experiences a person has had so say something like "motivation and leadership are not huge factors in deciding who is greater." Like, have you ever had a job? Ever worked with other people? Maybe on a project with a bad leader? Or a great one? Ever notice the difference between the two - the difference in the results produced? Ever tried hard? Ever slacked off? Ever noticed the difference in the results between the two?

I can't force you to see things how I see them, but I watched last night's Game 2 and I saw a Cavs team that was more motivated than the Warriors team. It was obvious that Lebron and Dellavadova were working harder than anyone on the court - and this lead to multiple key offensive rebounds, not to mention loose balls that were saved or tipped - even one of which could have been the difference in the game. I'm not implying that actually making shots is irrelevant or that some of the things I've mentioned don't show up in the box score - that's a straw man - I'm just saying some things exist outside of the box score. The game is much more subtle and complex than the numbers alone can account for.

"Elevating play in the postseason is a great thing, but it's relevant only so far as to what level that increase actually leads to. If you're starting from a much smaller base than someone who doesn't improve as much, does it really matter if your increase is bigger if you still end up below them? The fact that the vast majority of players don't improve is irrelevant, because we aren't comparing Isiah to the vast majority of players here."

I agree with you. Only the end results matter in evaluating someone's greatness. I've just seen others on these boards highlight improvements and drops in playoff performance so many times that I guess it thought it might be relevant to this discussion.

Lest you be confused by my saying only the end results matter, then going on about process and narrative, my point in writing about process and narrative has never been that either is grounds for my rankings. They emphatically are not - my list is at least 99% results-driven. It depends almost exclusively on results that any objective observer could agree actually happened. The point I've been trying to make is that team success is one such result. Process and narrative only come into the discussion when they become useful in explaining why team success can be attributed to great players' actions that don't appear in the box score.

"Well, I wouldn't exactly call them great. Outside of the 1st place finish in 84, the Pistons while Isiah was an all-star level player were never a top 5 offense. And the defense being below average might have something to do with Isiah himself no? And the Pistons didn't make the conference finals until 87, the year their defense first replaced the offense as the better unit. So until the Pistons began "relying" on great defenses, they had basically no postseason success."

Perhaps they weren't great offenses. At least not plural. At least not when he was an "All-Star level player." As to below average defenses having something to do with Isiah, would you say the same about the Clippers defense and Chris Paul? It's generally acknowledged that point guard is the position that can have the least impact on a team's defense. Still, I happen to think all five players are important on both sides of the ball, so yes, he had something to do with it, and he also had something to do with the "great defenses" that came after. My original intent was just to dispel the myth that he never led a great offense.

"I can't get behind this. There's really no way to tell how much, if any at all, the drive of a player impacts the players around him. It's impossible, and always will be."

There's only one way: did the team do enough to get the job done? This is the same way leaders are evaluated in every walk of life.

"Saying Ray Allen's shot was the basis of the Spur's title run the next year is just so out there. It'd be like me saying the reason Duncan became a hall of fame player was because of the hurricane that destroyed the olympic swimming pool in his hometown that forced him to focus on basketball."

No, it's more like Duncan himself saying, "Me and my community were so devastated by that hurricane that I decided to do everything in my power to rise above it and make millions of dollars playing basketball to show that neither me nor my community could be bowed by the whims of fate." What you say has nothing to do with it. That's why I pointed out that a Pistons player actually said Isiah's determination drove them the entire following year. The Spurs players have said they were hoping to face the Heat. You can bet that desire was there from the moment game 7 of the '13 Finals ended, and you can bet the Spurs would not have been quite as focused against another team in the Finals. (They still would have won, obviously. They were too good by that time.) I never meant to imply that without Allen's shot, the Spurs don't win the championship. I did mean to imply, though, that it was a factor. Probably a very big factor.

"Every event is connected in the journey, as you say. But the way you tell it, it was Isiah's game 6 performance that was the most important moment of their 89 title run. That's ridiculous. It'd be way down on the list, waaaaaaaaaaay behind the level of play of the individual Pistons players during the actual season, which is what everyone else is using as the primary evaluator to make their all time list. Changes in confidence play a part, but not anywhere near THAT much. Having confidence in your leader isn't suddenly going to change you from a run of the mill playoff team into a champion. If I were to evaluate the 89 Pistons, I'd say their title was due to the emergence of Rodman and Dumars and the trade of Dantley making their team better and more cohesive, the way the rest of the Pistons played, the Celtics getting worse, the Lakers being injured, any amount of refereeing and injury randomness, how their other playoff opponents played, general randomness that's associated with all competitive sports (shots not falling etc.) and a whole bunch of other stuff. I can't see how looking at Isiah's leadership is going to come even close to having the impact those things do."

Again, it wasn't the way I told it. If it was just me making up a story, it would lose a lot of credence. It's there in the Bad Boys documentary. The players felt that way. Everything you mention was undoubtedly a factor. Just as in life, when a team has to work together on any common goal or project, everything that happens is a factor, and dozens of individual occurrences might each be the difference between success and failure. Many of these might be random. But what is the unifying concept throughout? The way the group responds to these occurrences. And what drives these responses? Leadership.

Again, I'm not saying that that previous paragraph explains why I rate Isiah where I do. What explains why I rate him where I do is the simple fact that he lead his teams to ultimate victory and near-ultimate victory four times in his career, three in the NBA and one in college. That previous paragraph was just to say that leadership is a real thing and it exists and it makes a difference in outcomes.

"First off, I don't really see anyone having an attitude like that. And I don't get the comparison to Dwight, because I don't think anyone here is calling Dwight a top 25 player either. And if Dwight's teammates are really that affected by a random "you guys suck" comment (and making an assumption that this has any impact on their play at all is a BIG assumption), they probably shouldn't be in the NBA in the first place. NBA players are getting heckled by fans, the media, and their teams ALL the time."

Correct, Dwight is not a top 25 player, but he may have more talent than Isiah. Most would probably say he does. Which is exactly my point. Talented players are often separated by "intangibles." Stating that human beings are affected by random "you suck" comments is not an assumption. It's common knowledge. And these random "you suck" comments tend to be more affecting when they come from people close to us or people on a higher level than us, and when they happen in public - all of which would describe Dwight in relation to someone like Ariza or Brewer, calling guys out on TV in the playoffs

I don't know how to save this and I need to go to work soon, but when you're talking about players getting heckled: a straw man. Dwight didn't heckle anybody in my example. Also, the fans and media are not in positions of leadership or in intimate relationships with the players. Also, there is a difference between making fun of someone and calling them out - and as I said, there is a difference in whether it is done to save Dwight's own face or to build up the cohesion of the team. Human relationships.

"The people you'd be comparing Isiah to if you think he's top 25 are guys like the usual suspects (MJ, Magic, Bird, Russell, Duncan, Kareem etc.) or more guys like Dirk, KG, Havlicek, Baylor, Barkley, Wade etc. Are we somehow going to argue that Isiah is a better leader than them? Or had more determination than them? How would we even go about that? We already have too much to look at with their respective basketball abilities and the circumstances in which they displayed those abilities."

We'd go about it by looking at wins. Determination, etc., do not appear on my ATG list. Winning does. If we're talking about how I evaluate players, then we're talking about stats, wins, and consensus - nothing else.

"Determination, like I said with the playoff thing earlier, is only relevant in how it affects your ability to play basketball. It's the starting from the lower base thing again. When compared with a guy who never meets his potential (like, say, Shaq) does it matter that Isiah had more determination if even with that determination Shaq was still in another stratosphere as a player?"

No, it doesn't matter. Shaq is higher than Isiah because he produced better results.

"Winning is a coordinate on a graph where a player's talent meets his daily determination to maximize it... AND where said player's teammates' talent meets their daily drive, AND where said player's opponents' talent meets their daily drive, AND where said player's coaches abilities to manage said talent, AND how lucky your team gets with injuries, AND how lucky your opponents get with injuries, AND how lucky your team gets with refereeing, AND a whole bunch of other things."

True, all of that factors in, but all of that also factors in to every other stat besides winning. So why would we decide other stats are more relevant than winning in evaluating players? Winning is the goal of the game. To ignore it or even minimize it is something I have a hard time understanding.

"The common thing here is talent. The talent and ability is the most important thing. And Isiah just didn't have enough talent and ability to be ranked where the consensus has him. The winning was just as much or more due to those other factors as it was to Isiah himself."

Talent Is Overrated. It's a good book. Check it out. As for Isiah's responsibility or lack thereof in his team's successes, I take the position that people often create their own opportunities and luck: when we consistently find a person in successful positions, in spite of all the other factors that might have been at play, the common thread is the person himself. I therefore give credit to that person.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#6 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Sep 3, 2017 1:46 am

Thoughts on Cousy, Frazier, Thomas, Billups, Miller, Gervin, Tmac, Mourning, Dwight, Schayes, Iverson from last thread:

Spoiler:
Bob Cousy - Case for: Superb longevity. He is still a 2nd team All-NBA level, all-star in his 13th season. Highly regarded by his peers with all his All-NBA, wins MVP, and in 1980 which is about the halfway point for this project is one of 11 players selected for the 35th anniversary team ahead of some contenders here like Barry and Frazier. Being one of the best slashers of his era and the best passer are both high value offensive roles. Helped Boston to 1st ORTGs when he was the best player. Case against: Played against mostly segregated players in his prime. Being the best guard passer in a poor passing league doesn't necessarily mean he was better at it than future players. Weak TS leads to disappointing OWS and WS production, never finishes higher than 8th/9th in WS. The Celtics dynasty was predicted to collapse without him but they did just fine. Likely overcredited in his time for Boston's offensive success, noting that this was a time where they didn't know any better than to think whoever scored the most points had the best offense, eg. in Cousy's MVP year they had the 5th highest ORTG but scored the most points easily so they may have credited the offensive player as the driving force.

Walt Frazier - Case for: Fabulous boxscore stats despite steals not being tracked a lot of his prime. Has multiple 2nd/3rd finishes in WS and if steals were tracked earlier would've done fabulously in VORP, he 4th/3rd the first two seasons it's tracked in 74 and 75 despite his offensive stats not being what it was a few years earlier. High value offensive role as a scorer/creator and one of the top defensive PGs making all-defensive 1st team throughout his prime. Great playoff career including one of the great Finals games. Case against: Average longevity (6-7 years prime). No top 3 finishes in WS and voters at the time seemed to clearly prefer Reed as the Knicks best player, although a theory could be use racism (Frazier being "too black") having something to do with that.

Isiah Thomas - Case for: Very solid longevity being great for about a 11 year prime. Great intangibles and praised by many teammates. Strong playoff career leading his team to the top of the mountain. One of the best passers in the league which is a highly valuable offensive skill, along with creation ability. Case against: Average TS leading to only one top 10 finish in WS at 7th, and a 4th/7th in VORP. A good not great scoring career when you consider the volume and efficiency. Finishes 5th in MVP once and never above 8th and surprisingly underrecognized in Pistons title years in either MVP or All-NBA. Despite being a great leader and passer he struggles to fit in his most talented teammate ever in Dantley and keeps shooting as much as ever.

Chauncey Billups - Case for: Combination of passing, getting to the line and free throw line all of which is highly valuable on offense. Somewhat ahead of his time in appreciation for his skillset and value of 3pt spacing. Very good boxscore player with a few top 5s in WS (3rd/5th) and other top 10s and solid but would do better in VORP if his defense was rated better as it probably should've been. Leads Pistons to some strong seasons even without Ben Wallace. Iverson for Billups trade looks terrific for his case with his impact on the Nuggets both as a player and leader and Pistons decline without him. Case against: Ok longevity with about 8 strong years. Good but not great RAPM career, mainly peaking later in his prime. Felt less talented than other players in contention here. Not rated a superstar in his time, not even a star on the level of players like Pierce, Allen and Kidd. His reasonable MVP/All-NBA career somewhat misrepresents the lack of real star labelling there was for Billups. Seen somewhat like the game manager QB on an elite football defense, great at it, but still a game manager. Doesn't necessarily "put pressure on the defense" athletically.

Reggie Miller - Case for: Increases his stock in the playoffs where he is on several occasions a killer. Game translates to playoffs well since he can create open shots by movement. Outstanding longevity and durability and still has value late in his career as floor spacer. 17th in career WS. High floor spacing effect that he know better now than they did in the 90s the value of. Solid passing stats and ability to get to the FT Line, not just a spot up shooter. Good RAPM support. Case against: Shockingly little accolades in his time, not just missing MVP and All-NBA but all-star games half the time. Difficult to make the case he was ever a top 5 player, even in the stat that loves him WS he never finishes top 5. Limited RAPM sample also has him as very good but more of a fringe top 10 guy.

George Gervin - Case for: One of the best offensive careers left, leads the league in scoring 4x and a highly efficient scorer and leads good offenses and contenders. Considered a superstar on his time, 2x 2nd and 1x 3rd MVP finishes and 5 straight 1st team All-NBA. Case against: The Harden of his era on defense, probably worst top 50 defender if Harden doesn’t get in. Only finishes top 5 once in WS and peaks at 6th in VORP in NBA. Mediocre passing for his scoring volume, playmaking is typically critical for high offensive impact for a guard.

Tracy McGrady - Case for: Amazing statistical peak in 2003 right up there (9.7 BPM!) that’s up there with any Kobe season. Great playmaking wing increasing his value throughout his career along with high volume scoring. Good playoff performer. Case against: Weak longevity and health. Poor intangibles and often seemed half asleep. TS average outside of 03. Never makes it past 1st round as a real player. Him and Yao never seemed to reach their potential together and the Rockets suspiciously overperformed whenever one got injured.

Alonzo Mourning - Case for: One of the best defensive centers remaining, as elite shotblocker and 2x DPOY. Plays the right position to be defense first. Peaks at 2nd in MVP voting in 00 and 1st in 99 RAPM (ascreamingacrossthecourt). Solid 8 years before kidney problems, decent play in 02 and valuable few years as mega shotblocking backup C in 06 and 07. 20 point scorer with above average TS and has midrange floor spacing. Outstanding intangibles, he is both the anti-Dwight and anti-Gilmore in a way. Case against: Not a great offensive threat. Terrible passing numbers and assist to turnover rate. Visually a Meh scoring skillset. May have got the job done in the regular season but to win a title there needs to be a more dynamic offensive player on the team.

Dwight Howard - Case for: Excellent accolades in his time, finishing 2nd in MVP (and possibly deserving to win) and 2x 4th place and 1x 5th place. 3rd a few times in WS and peaks at 5th/6th in VORP. The consensus best defender in the league in his prime and offensively is a 20 point, highly efficient scorer who creates gravity on the pick and roll. The defense alone is highly valuable at center. Peaks at 5th/8th in RAPM. Case against: Poor intangibles, annoying manchild. Very poor passing center who turns it over, and a complete non floor spacer at C. Played in a perfect offensive fit for his style, with ahead of its time floor spacing giving him room inside to score and he has never been the same without it. His offensive skillset never fully passed the eye test. Defensive impact seemed to evaporate after Orlando. When looking at how much better a player like late career Mourning was on defense than post prime Dwight, is it a clue about their ability on that end in their prime?

Dolph Schayes - Case for: Terrific all around offense for his time. High volume scoring, highly efficient, good passing and one of the original floor spacing bigs. Quality longevity as still a relevant player (2nd team All-NBA) in his 12th season and production as late as 61 shows he wasn't just a product of pre shot clock. Defense is hard to gauge but he did well in DWS and finished 1st in the league once. A clearcut top 5 player for his time which many of the alternatives above were not. Won a title as best player. Case against: Played in mostly segregated era and has an antiquated shooting style. Doesn't appear to have had a good defensive skillset even if he was good for his time - he just played in weaker era.

Allen Iverson - Case for: Rated well in his time, MVP winner with two other top 5 finishes. Tremendous volume scorer, on ball playmaker which is high value offensive role. For an advanced stats lightning rod, is a respectable 42nd in VORP. Solid longevity compared to other options here, a solid decade. Made Finals with role players. Efficiency problems somewhat connected to context. Played on defense first team with terrible spacing, in pre handcheck rules era. TS improved in Denver when this was rectified. Imagine if he played with the spacing Harden has right now. Case against: Not a great advanced stats player. Rated as overrated by RAPM and WS on the whole. TS when it dips low enough in PHI makes it harder to say he's worth it. Weak defense. Poor intangibles. Very weak portability both for his style of game and his attitude.

I value players who have a case for top 5 players at this point so long as their longevity isn't brutal. Frazier has excellent boxscore stats (WS and VORP) and is an offensive scorer/playmaker with high defensive value which seems like it would lead to high impact. Good playoff record. HIs longevity is ok but not brutal, he still has 4.4 VORP in his 9th season. The biggest question mark is why everyone thought Reed was the best player on those teams. But I'm comfortable with him here.

Vote Walt Frazier

2nd Alonzo Mourning
mischievous
General Manager
And1: 3,482

Post#7 » by mischievous » Sun Sep 3, 2017 1:40 pm

How does Westbrook compare to Frazier for you guys? Frazier still has the longevity edge, but his longevity overall isn't great and Westbrook already has a 3 year stretch that imo is superior to Frazier's.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,505

Post#8 » by 70sFan » Sun Sep 3, 2017 2:17 pm

mischievous wrote:How does Westbrook compare to Frazier for you guys? Frazier still has the longevity edge, but his longevity overall isn't great and Westbrook already has a 3 year stretch that imo is superior to Frazier's.

I don't agree with you. 1971-73 Frazier played more efficient, better type of basketball. I have no doubts in my mind that Frazier could have averaged better numbers, but he didn't because he played selfless basketball.

Also, he was much better defender for what it's worth. I'd rather have him on my team than even last year Westbrook.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,309

Post#9 » by Clyde Frazier » Sun Sep 3, 2017 2:25 pm

Vote 1 - Walt Frazier

Vote 2 - George Gervin

Reasoning: viewtopic.php?p=58257557#p58257557
mischievous
General Manager

Post#10 » by mischievous » Sun Sep 3, 2017 3:07 pm

70sFan wrote:
mischievous wrote:How does Westbrook compare to Frazier for you guys? Frazier still has the longevity edge, but his longevity overall isn't great and Westbrook already has a 3 year stretch that imo is superior to Frazier's.

I don't agree with you. 1971-73 Frazier played more efficient, better type of basketball. I have no doubts in my mind that Frazier could have averaged better numbers, but he didn't because he played selfless basketball.

Also, he was much better defender for what it's worth. I'd rather have him on my team than even last year Westbrook.

He was a little more efficient on way lower volume, so that's not a valid argument. Westbrook's insane athleticism and relentless attacking style puts infinitely more pressure on the defense than Frazier ever could. Defense is the only thing making it a debate.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#11 » by 70sFan » Sun Sep 3, 2017 5:50 pm

mischievous wrote:
70sFan wrote:

He was a little more efficient on way lower volume, so that's not a valid argument. Westbrook's insane athleticism and relentless attacking style puts infinitely more pressure on the defense than Frazier ever could. Defense is the only thing making it a debate.

Not really. I see Clyde as a better, more all-around player compared to Westbrook. He's better shooter and better off-ball player. Westbrook wasn't nearly as efficient scorer even with smaller volume. He is what he is and you can take him over Frazier. I believe Walt would make my team better, he's more portable.
Lou Fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 673

Post#12 » by Lou Fan » Sun Sep 3, 2017 8:26 pm

Now that Kidd's off the board that opens up a whole new tier of guys for me to consider here.
Next Tier: Frazier, Gervin, Nique, T-Mac, Dwight, Reggie, Harden, Zo, Isiah, Billups, McHale. I might be forgetting a couple guys but this is generally where my head's at.
Frazier: I think he tends to get overrated by advanced stats such as VORP and WS but he still had an outstanding 6 year prime. He was very efficient as a scorer and had a great TS% despite being a 78% career shooter from the line. He was a great defender/rebounder for a pg and he was a big game playoff performer. I believe that Reed was actually the best player on the 70 team and my eye test seems to support that. Reed was more often the focus of the defense and he still put up about the same scoring numbers as Walt. I think there are guys still on the board with a better six year prime that also have more longevity.

Gervin: Iceman gets criminally underrated in most GOAT discussions especially here with a lot of people on this forum underrating volume scoring. He led the league in scoring 4 times on unbelievable efficiency for his time. He could take over games in the blink of an eye he could ring 40 on you. Gervin as a scorer imo tops Kobe as well as many other ATG scorers. I bet most people can't name a single Gervin teammate except maybe Kenon and they were still a tough team in the post-season. In 79' they blew a 3-1 in the ECF and I think they would've had a great chance in the finals against Seattle. He put up 42 in Game 7 and they still lost. Gervin was a great playoff performer but he was often let down by his teammates. However, Gervin had some gaping holes in his game most notably defense and passing. Gervin a bad defender but the degree to which he was a bad defender is overstated. He was clearly a better defender than Harden and anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about. However his passing is usually understated as a problem he averaged more turnovers per game than assists for his career. If he could've been just a solid passer he probably has a ring and we are probably discussing him in the top 20.

Nique: He was a slightly worse 80s version of Gervin who also suffers because of this forums dislike of volume scorers but until Gervin goes Nique can't be considered.

Howard: In 99.9% of cases I couldn't care less about intangibles and Howard falls in that .1%. Dwight is just so incredibly toxic and delusional I can't give him a pass for his ridiculous immaturity and stupidity. That being said Dwight the player gets way too much hate because of Dwight the person. He was a BEAST. Best player in the league defensively throughout his peak and his 4 DPOYs were deserved. He led the league in DWS 4 times as well. His defense at the C position alone makes him incredibly valuable but he was an efficient scorer as well. He consistently averaged around 20 ppg in his prime and he had solid gravity in the paint and in the pick and roll. He's an ATG rebounder on both ends and he led the league in rebounds 5 times. Post-prime/current Dwight also gets an unfairly bad rap as he is still probably a top 50 player in the league and his defense and rebounding are still really valuable. His 14 ppg this year where on his highest fg% of his career. That being said his horrible intangibles aren't his only weakness. He's a terrible passer and he commits at least 1 dumb/unnecessary turnover per game. With the amount of attention he drew in the paint 1.5 assists per game is unacceptable. He also faced pretty weak competition at the center position and in the east.

Reggie: 2nd greatest off ball player of all-time. ATG ceiling raiser and absolutely incredible playoff performer. He was also one of the clutchest players of all time. I understand the concern with his extremely underwhelming box score stats for a top 50 all-time player. However, his way ahead of the competition efficiency makes the low assists and rebounding numbers hurt a little less. He has the GOAT ORTG. However, he only did one thing well, score the basketball and even more specifically shoot the basketball. The defensive attention that followed him around and the awesome efficiency with which he shot the ball is what puts him in this conversation but he was average to poor at everything else so I'm not ready for him. yet....

Harden: Awesome peak and the rightful MVP this year (triple doubles are so overrated :noway:). Great efficiency as a scorer and just a great well rounded player...... offensively :lol: :lol: . His lack of defense and longevity means its a bit too early for him.

Zo: Great peak in 00 and one of the best defensive centers of all time. Got unlucky playing the golden era of centers for most of his prime. Lack of playoff success is eye opening but the presence of an elite guard could probably have changed that. When he had Tim Hardaway they won 61 games and made the Eastern Conference Finals (barely). He surpasses his stats according to my eye test but mediocre impact stats mean I might be wrong.

Isiah: Not sure what to think of him. I'll look at him more closely once Frazier is off the board because I'm confident Frazier is better.

Billups: I love him and his style of play and his willingness to spread the wealth directly correlated to the Pistons success. He has awesome impact stats which I think are deserving and the Denver trade bodes well for him in examining his impact. Mr. Big Shot deserves a long hard look at this stage.

McHale: He had the most polished effective post-game that I've ever seen. Super high basketball IQ and obviously an integral part of the Celtics dynasty. He was also one of the best m2m post defenders of all time. He was a super efficient scorer despite his free throws and he doesn't get enough credit as a rebounder. He wasn't great but he was pretty solid. He was very inconsistent facing double teams and I often wonder whether he would've been nearly as effective/successful without Larry legend.

Last but not least my favorite player of all-time (yes I'm admitting to my slight bias though I try not to be) Tracy McGrady. T-Mac was the ideal point-forward and if for some reason we were cloning shooting guards I'd argue T-Mac would be the best choice. McGrady had it all 6'9" elite athleticism and wingspan. He had absolutely no holes in his game. I'll go through every portion of his game but not overly extensive. First his passing ability was great, truly elite. He knew how to find his teammates at the best time in the best spot and had the type of vision you can only be born with. He could pass out of any double-team and he basically never turned the ball over. His turnover pct was often below 10% which is really incredible. Another reason for his turnover averse play was his ball-handling. Tracy McGrady is the greatest SG ball handler of all time and at 6'9" that's really saying something. He could dribble the ball anywhere he wanted on the court and while sometimes his fancy displays of ball-handling killed ball movement they mostly enabled him to attack and score from wherever he wanted. These two traits made him the best point-forward of his time (pre LBJ of course). He could do literally whatever he wanted as far as scoring the basketball. He could get to the basket and finish with ease, he had a solid post up game with a great fadeaway, he could pull up for 3 off-the dribble, he could spot up and hit shots, he could run off screens, he could any type of step-back, turnaround, hop step mid range jumpers you could think of, he could play in the pick and roll to score or pass, and he could explode out of the triple-threat. He had the most variety in his coring of any player I've ever seen and possibly the most ever. He was really the perfect wing. T-Mac was really beautiful to watch. Watching T-Mac play was like watching Federer play tennis it looks as tho they were born to play the sport and they just glide around the court gracefully dismantling their opponents in a way that seems effortless. This seemingly effortlessness in McGrady's game probably partially contributed to the perception of him being a lazy player. McGrady's work ethic was pretty poor and if he had Kobe or MJ killer in him, provided he was healthy, he'd be top 3 all-time. He was never a great leader and he was a pretty quiet guy but his intangibles other than work ethic weren't a negative. I can't honestly blame him for his lack of effort if your best teammates were Juwan Howard and Mike Miller you'd probably be pretty frustrated and lazy too. Those Orlando supporting casts are so laughably bad that they dwarf LBJ and Kobe's and even Garnett's. No wonder his back couldn't take him carrying all those scrubs for 4 years :lol:. His situation was just completely hopeless. Maybe that's why he always settled for deep contested 2s his jumper was awesome but no one can hit contested perimeter shots consistently at a high percentage. He easily could've gotten to the rim more or created more open looks but he really seemed to half-ass games at time because of how **** his teams were. He was literally the only guy on the team who could create any shots for himself or others. That's probably another reason he settled because he was tasked with doing literally everything for his team and he was probably exhausted. Had he played on even a decent team he would have the energy to attack the rim way more. Same goes for defense when he was playing at 100% effort he looked like an All-NBA defender but he was an average defender his whole career because he didn't care to play defense most of the time and he also didn't have energy to play D. McGrady was the only person on his team that defenses had to give any **** about and he still destroyed defenses. At his peak in 03 he had 30 ast % to 8.4 yes 8.4 tov % and had the greatest season of all-time tied with Michael Jordan according to OBPM. The Magic still only went 42-40 and he played amazing in the playoffs and they still lost in 7 to the Pistons. It's honestly depressing to think about. If only Tim Duncan signed with the Magic and Grant Hill could stay healthy they would've been the greatest team of all-time and maybe McGrady's back wouldn't have been destroyed by carrying the 600 pound Shawn Kemp and all those other scrubs on his back. His 1 year peak is top 10 and his 7 year prime is awesome but it could've been so much more. He was the third best player in the league in the early 00s behind Shaq and TD and was the best offensive player in a time dominated by defense. This is getting ridiculously long so I'm done but I could go on for even longer if I wanted lol. I'm willing to answer any questions/debate with people about this but I think it's time for McGrady.
1st Vote: T-Mac
2nd: Gervin
smartyz456 wrote:Duncan would be a better defending jahlil okafor in todays nba
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,459

Post#13 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Sep 3, 2017 8:41 pm

Vote: Reggie Miller
Alt: Walt Frazier

70sFan wrote:
mischievous wrote:
70sFan wrote:

Not really. I see Clyde as a better, more all-around player compared to Westbrook. He's better shooter and better off-ball player. Westbrook wasn't nearly as efficient scorer even with smaller volume. He is what he is and you can take him over Frazier. I believe Walt would make my team better, he's more portable.

This is really well said. I've talked before about not being settled on how to evaluate Westbrook. I don't think Frazier could have done what Westbrook did last year, but it's more of a question of whether Westbrook could do what Frazier did because that's a more portable approach.

Of course as I say this, you probably favor Frazier over Miller, and in the past I've agree with this so it's worth me speaking a bit more to why I have Miller so high.

I've actually had a Reggie obsession for a while. That implies a blind infatuation, but really I just mean I think it's important to understand his game, its direct benefits, and its indirect effects.

Let's digress into American football for a second. In that sport, roles are rigidly designated in a player's instructions, but coaching schemes can go wherever a coach's creativity says. This leads to an immensely complicated sport with an arms-race-mentality second to no other sport even as many of the players don't have to think very much at all.

In basketball we fall into a trap of thinking that the official positions are meaningful designations along the lines of what you get in football. And they are not. The game is too fluid for that. Each player has to do a variety of different things depending on the context on the court, and that means its actually very difficult for a truly slow thinker to get on the court, and when they do, you can see it fairly quickly.

Because of this it makes sense to evaluate players based on what could be called their 'routine'. What are they doing over the course of a possession? What effects does it have? And a corollary:

If everything a player is doing out there is having positive benefits, is there a reason to knock that player for not doing other things?

So you have Reggie out there running all around. Superficially, he's running to get a shot, and the benefit he creates is in making those shots. Since that's not a high volume, and he's not getting a lot of assists or rebounds, that makes him look like he's not that valuable.

But approach the situation from a football perspective and ask: Does it make sense for us to have a player doing this role? What positive effects happen downstream from having a guy play like this?

Well, you tire out the man chasing him of course, and that's not a small thing. But the bigger thing is the gravitational effect. With someone like Reggie, if you fall behind him, his teammates are looking for him, and he'll be taking a high percentage shot. So then, since that's too dangerous, wherever he goes, he effectively yanks the defense out of position, and out of focus. The more they respect Reggie, the more vulnerable they are left to Reggie's teammates.

Does it make sense to have a guy play like that? I think it does, and Reggie's Pacers were clearly a contenders over a broad range of years effectively built around this.

The only question then, from a GOAT list perspective, is just how valuable this role is. We can agree its a great thing to have, but it's a great thing to have other guys too, where do we place Reggie next to guys in other roles?

I'll leave it there. Y'all know that I like +/- for this, and that I think Reggie looks pretty good by these metric for the years we have. Not so good that you'd have to necessarily side with him here, but good enough that I think he deserves to be in your thoughts as a legit contender here. And I emphasize this because a good amount of people think it's just ludicrous to have such a "one dimensional player" so high, and as I say, I think that's the wrong way to categorize him.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
mischievous
General Manager

Post#14 » by mischievous » Sun Sep 3, 2017 9:12 pm

70sFan wrote:
mischievous wrote:
70sFan wrote:

Frazier to my knowledge wasn't some elite shooter, so I'm not sure how much that in itself is supposed to be worth. You can say Frazier is better all around but without backing it up with some sort of evidence, it can be taken with a grain of salt and probably chalked up to nostalgia goggles. I mean it pretty much boils down to you just not liking Westbrook which is fine, but he just put up the highest BPM in nba history by a significant margin, and his PER was only beat out by greats like Lebron, Mj, Shaq, Wilt, Drob, then Curry and Davis from recent times. His impact is undeniable and this crap narrative about his play not being conducive to winning or empty stats is just nonsense. He's shown to be a keystone to legit high level contending teams as well as dragging poor casts to respctable levels.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,459

Post#15 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Sep 3, 2017 9:18 pm

mischievous wrote:
70sFan wrote:
mischievous wrote:He was a little more efficient on way lower volume, so that's not a valid argument. Westbrook's insane athleticism and relentless attacking style puts infinitely more pressure on the defense than Frazier ever could. Defense is the only thing making it a debate.

Frazier to my knowledge wasn't some elite shooter, so I'm not sure how much that in itself is supposed to be worth. You can say Frazier is better all around but without backing it up with some sort of evidence, it can be taken with a grain of salt and probably chalked up to nostalgia goggles. I mean it pretty much boils down to you just not liking Westbrook which is fine, but he just put up the highest BPM in nba history by a significant margin, and his PER was only beat out by greats like Lebron, Mj, Shaq, Wilt, Drob, then Curry and Davis from recent times. His impact is undeniable and this crap narrative about his play not being conducive to winning or empty stats is just nonsense. He's shown to be a keystone to legit high level contending teams as well as dragging poor casts to respctable levels.

I personally would have stayed away from the phrase "better shooter", and just said that Frazier has a better understanding of what a good shot actually is and that's why he was more naturally efficient of a shooter.

As I've said, I'm not looking to get on a soap box saying that Westbrook is fatally flawed in his approach, but I worry about his tendency to want to do everything himself. Players like that often struggle to actually think through a team-first lens, and as a result they tend to squander the talent around them.

It is entirely possible that Westbrook's play in '16-17 was the best way to make that team as good as possible, and yet still Westbrook will face intractable issues when his teammates get better, and so that's what I'm waiting to see.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
70sFan
RealGM

Post#16 » by 70sFan » Sun Sep 3, 2017 9:42 pm

mischievous wrote:
70sFan wrote:
mischievous wrote:He was a little more efficient on way lower volume, so that's not a valid argument. Westbrook's insane athleticism and relentless attacking style puts infinitely more pressure on the defense than Frazier ever could. Defense is the only thing making it a debate.

I've never called him not being conducive to winning or empty stats player. That's not my words. I don't like Westbrook, everybody know that. It doesn't mean that I'm not fair for him. I see him on the same level with Frazier. I just prefer Clyde style because he was more portable.

Also? Frazier was excellent shooter. Well, if you think only about 3 point shooting then right - he didn't have 3 point range. By this logic though MJ wasn't good shooter either. Frazier had one of the best midrange games I've ever seen. He made tough shots with ease. I don't know how someone who saw even a few games with him can't come up with conclusion that he was great shooter. Westbrook isn't in the same stratosphere in terms of midrange game and that's objective argument.

You can believe that Westbrook is better. He's more athletic and agressive player. He's also better playmaker. He's also worse off-ball player and shooter. I also trust Clyde handles more than RW. Of course, Frazier is much bettwr defender too.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#17 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Sep 3, 2017 9:54 pm

twolves97 wrote:Zo: Great peak in 00 and one of the best defensive centers of all time. Got unlucky playing the golden era of centers for most of his prime. Lack of playoff success is eye opening but the presence of an elite guard could probably have changed that. When he had Tim Hardaway they won 61 games and made the Eastern Conference Finals (barely). He surpasses his stats according to my eye test but mediocre impact stats mean I might be wrong.

I thought impact stats were a positive if anything for Mourning based on ascreamingcomesacrossthecourt numbers where in RPI RAPM he is 2nd in 98, 1st in 99 and 10th on 00. In 02 he is mediocre in J.E. RAPM (168th) but that's not a prime season by any means, and he was still +7.1 in raw on/off that year
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,263

Post#18 » by trex_8063 » Mon Sep 4, 2017 1:51 am

I think I'm gonna break the ice on Paul Pierce and make him my pick here.
And just by way providing a new means of supportive materials, I'm going to share the results of some formulas I use to help inform some rough tiers or approximate ranks.
I know a few others are fond of using a formula for ranking players (scabbarista, 2klegend, I believe Joao Saraiva, too, just to name a few). Whereas I believe 2klegend at least bases his ATL exactly off of formula results, again I want to be clear: I merely utilize it as a few of several means which form the foundation of my own ATL.

Anyway, figure I ought to outline what these formulations are based upon (this gets kinda long, btw).....

The most in-depth formula I made attempts to incorporate LOTS of factors. Without totally spilling formula’s guts for inspection, I’ll summarize to say it’s based on the following:
1) Career Production and efficiency: in the original (which we’ll call “Version 1.0”, although it has actually undergone at least a half-dozen modifications) this was done with a heavy emphasis on PER (because that was the all-in-one metric I was into at the time, and which produced I think a touch of bias toward volume players)---weighted against mpg---though I also used some cumulative pts/reb/ast (part of my accounting for longevity, which is very important to me), ppg (minimally weighted factor, though this further biases it toward volume scorers), WS, and WS/48 to a smaller degree. PER and WS/48 were also weighted against rs win% (which may have created a touch of rs “winner’s bias” in the “original” formula, but this was part of my accounting for context).
For playoffs I used PER (again, the heaviest input and again weighted against mpg and playoff win%) along with playoff WS and WS/48.
Regular season inputs were factored against total seasons played (another accounting of longevity), and playoffs against total playoff games played.
2) **Awards, honors. This was neither a huge nor small contributing factor to final score. I had a point system for valuation of All-Star nominations, All-NBA honors (different for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd team), All-Defensive honors, DPOY, Scoring champ (minimal for that one, fwiw), MVP; MVP is worth less than some of the other honors because I also included MVP Award shares.
3) **MVP Award Shares (this also is a somewhat substantial component toward a player’s final score, more so than awards/honors).

**Obviously some previous players are held back by some of these honors not being present in their careers (no defensive honors or FMVP until ‘69--->effects on Bill Russell, for example?; no MVP prior to ‘56--->effects on George Mikan? etc). These are simply considerations I have to hold in the back of my mind when scrutinizing their scores; and I have created hypothetical versions of them to see how the MIGHT have scored if these things had been available.

4) Peak season value (as measured by PER * WS/48 * mpg).
5) rDRtg. For players with seasons prior to ‘74 I used team DRtg as a proxy, making marginal adjustments from the team average based on defensive reputation, subjective opinion, etc. I didn’t want to get too liberal in how much I deviated from the team avg, though; consequently, for example, someone like Bill Russell is likely being undercredited by the DRtg I assigned him (while some of his teammates, such as Bob Cousy or Tom Heinsohn, are likely be over-credited in their DRtg’s).
6) ”Title points”. These are accrued for being a member a title team, winning a FMVP (worth same value as a title/ring), or simply making it to the finals (4/10 the value of a title). I didn’t make different values relative to one’s role on a title team, though that may be an adjustment I make on a future version.
7) Included with/without records as a means of measuring impact (did not use RAPM, given the relatively limited time period that’s been available for).
8) Also gave a tiny (seriously tiny) bit of weight to ppg (both career ppg---weighted against seasons played---and peak season ppg), on the philosophy that a primary scorer can take over in certain moments in a way that other players can’t.

NOTE: Awards/honors are weighted against a “Positional Era Rating”......an evaluation of the strength of high-end competition at their position (C, F. or G), which I rated each and every year individually by position and overall (by a combination of objective and subjective means).

ALL OTHER FACTORS are weighted against the “Overall Era Rating”, which was also created by sort of adding up the high-level talent in the league year-by-year, though also giving a slight mathematical favoritism to leagues with a larger number of teams. My reason for doing so was assuming larger league represents an increasingly global popularity of the game and larger player pool to sample from, as well as more technically advanced (or “modern”) technique and style of play, and also noting tougher playoff structure (as compared to when six of eight teams in the league would make the playoffs, and a team may only have to win ONE series to make it into the finals).
Ultimately though----for most things which are weighted against the Overall Era Rating----I ended up using a variable to dilute the overall era ratings. I admit this was purely a “massaging the results” adjustment, as the formula initially seemed to otherwise under-credit older players. I somewhat justify the dilution noting that what talent was present was more concentrated in those earlier years. This is perhaps relevant when noting, for instance, that someone like Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlain didn’t have the “luxury” of---literally every other game---facing opposing centers who were roughly the quality of Len Elmore, Kent Benson, Herb Williams, James Edwards, Dave Corzine, Steve Johnson, Wayne Cooper, Jerome Whitehead, or Tree Rollins (great rim protector, but offensive zero).......such as Moses Malone was facing every other game in the early 80’s.

In summary, the formula (Version 1.0) derives the largest portions of a player’s score from rs PER weighted against mpg, seasons played, and win% (and diluted era strength rating); MVP award shares (where applicable, and weighted against era strength); and playoff PER weighted against mpg, playoff games played, playoff win%, and diluted era strength rating.
Award points is the next most highly weighted factor (weighted directly against positional era rating), followed closely by “title points” (weighted against diluted era strength rating), and then followed by some cumulative numbers (rs pts/reb/ast, rs WS, playoff WS…….these to better reward meaningful longevity), and a peak rating (as measured by the highest PER*WS/48*mpg product). The least weighted factors are the with/without records, DRtg (individual DRtg can be a bit sketchy, especially when using estimates for pre-1974), and ppg numbers.

I made a second version (we’ll call it Version 2.0) which has the following major alterations from V1.0:
1) MUCH less rewarding to longevity.
2) PER and WS/48 are accounted only in their relation to a “replacement level player” (in Version 1.0 a PER of 5.0, for example, would still yield some degree of positive score; in this version it effects the score up or down based on how much above or below replacement level it is). Can outline what “replacement level” parameters I used; Owly helped come up with the figures.
…..And then there were the following minor alterations:
3) Slightly less rs winner’s bias (less accounting for rs win%).
4) Slightly more consideration toward efficiency (by way of greater weight for WS/48); NOTE: PER still weighted more heavily, though.
5) Slight more emphasis toward big-man defenders (recognizing their often huge defensive value as rim protectors (used rebounds as a proxy for this)).
6) Slightly less ppg emphasis.

Then I made a third version (“Version 3.0”) which has the following major alterations from V1.0:
1) Much MUCH more consideration toward efficiency (via MUCH heavier weighting for WS/48, now weighted heavier than PER).
2) Much more “Title points” emphasis (really isn’t TOO huge a contributing factor in first two versions; I made it fairly prominent in this one, though).
3) PER and WS/48 are accounted for by their relation to a replacement level player (even accounting of this than the 16.8.1 version).
4) Significantly greater emphasis on big-man defenders (using rebounds as proxy to even greater degree than in version 16.8.1; also greater weight given to DRtg).
…...and the following minor alterations:
5) Little more emphasis on longevity.
6) Slightly more award/honors emphasis
7) Slightly less MVP award shares emphasis.
8) Somewhat firmer accounting of era strength (i.e. not “diluting” my Overall Era Ratings as much).
9) Slightly less ppg emphasis.

Recently I did a "Version 4.0", which is exactly the same as V1.0, except with slightly more fair Overall Era Ratings.

So anyway, here are the scores and rankings these formulas spit out. I'll highlight Paul Pierce in each, as well as any inductees who rank behind him, and any players still on the table who rank ahead of him. May also bold a few other individuals who are gaining traction.
*next to players of interest who are under-credited by formula, often due to lack of awards/accolades in his era (I do NOT lose sight of these things when viewing these results, fwiw)

Version 1.0
1. Lebron James (211.273)
2. Michael Jordan (209.332)
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (203.929)
*4. Wilt Chamberlain (181.360)
5. Tim Duncan (178.991)
6. Shaquille O'Neal (172.426)
7. Karl Malone (165.466)
8. Kobe Bryant (162.505)
9. Magic Johnson (159.421)
10. Larry Bird (151.084)
11. Hakeem Olajuwon (140.267)
*12. Bill Russell (139.161)
13. Kevin Garnett (136.831)
14. David Robinson (134.929)
15. Julius Erving (133.670)
16. Dirk Nowitzki (133.469)
17. Charles Barkley (132.401)
18. Jerry West (126.830)
19. Oscar Robertson (125.742)
20. Moses Malone (123.121)
21. John Stockton (119.611)
22. Kevin Durant (116.762)
23. Dwyane Wade (115.039)
24. Chris Paul (113.663)
25. Elgin Baylor (107.918)
26. Scottie Pippen (107.905)
27. Bob Pettit (107.755)
28. Jason Kidd (105.313)
29. Patrick Ewing (103.341)
30. Artis Gilmore (100.662)
31. Clyde Drexler (99.127)
32. Steve Nash (98.993)
33. John Havlicek (98.306)
34. Gary Payton (95.999)
35. Dwight Howard (95.895)
36. Rick Barry (95.595)
37. Stephen Curry (94.954)
38. Paul Pierce (93.051)
39. Allen Iverson (91.667)
40. Robert Parish (91.389)
*41. Dolph Schayes (91.358)
42. Pau Gasol (91.107)
43. Elvin Hayes (90.106)
44. Russell Westbrook (90.063)
45. Dan Issel (88.498)
46. Ray Allen (86.401)
47. Tony Parker (86.332)
48. Kevin McHale (85.334)
49. Isiah Thomas (84.796)
50. Chauncey Billups (83.721)
51. Tracy McGrady (83.387)
52. Reggie Miller (83.125)
53. Bob Cousy (82.406)
54. George Gervin (81.956)
55. Walt Frazier (81.670)

*56. George Mikan (81.590)

Version 2.0
1. Lebron James (238.707)
2. Michael Jordan (236.301)
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (221.699)
4. Wilt Chamberlain (199.242)
5. Tim Duncan (196.107)
6. Shaquille O'Neal (193.409)
7. Karl Malone (176.318)
8. Kobe Bryant (171.368)
9. Magic Johnson (170.303)
10. Larry Bird (157.802)
11. Hakeem Olajuwon (152.601)
12. David Robinson (148.133)
13. Charles Barkley (145.627)
14. Dirk Nowitzki (145.262)
15. Kevin Garnett (144.681)
16. Julius Erving (142.672)
*17. Bill Russell (138.197)
18. Jerry West (136.678)
19. Oscar Robertson (132.711)
20. Moses Malone (129.591)
21. John Stockton (126.060)
22. Chris Paul (125.544)
23. Kevin Durant (125.525)
24. Dwyane Wade (122.421)
25. Bob Pettit (115.305)
26. Elgin Baylor (110.486)
27. Artis Gilmore (105.570)
28. Patrick Ewing (103.361)
29. Scottie Pippen (102.764)
30. Clyde Drexler (100.104)
31. Steve Nash (99.200)
32. Dwight Howard (99.118)
33. Jason Kidd (98.353)
34. Stephen Curry (98.190)
35. Rick Barry (97.023)
*36. Dolph Schayes (96.899)
37. Pau Gasol (93.956)

*38. George Mikan (91.017)
39. Dan Issel (90.972)
40. John Havlicek (90.286)
41. Paul Pierce (90.253)
42. Allen Iverson (89.642)
43. Russell Westbrook (89.203)
44. Gary Payton (89.014)
45. Robert Parish (87.252)
46. Tracy McGrady (84.996)
47. Kevin McHale (84.629)
48. Elvin Hayes (84.041)
49. Chauncey Billups (83.589)
50. Reggie Miller (83.293)
51. James Harden (82.889)
52. George Gervin (82.810)
53. Walt Frazier (80.886)

54. Ray Allen (80.528)
55. Bob Lanier (80.524)
56. Manu Ginobili (80.415)
57. Dominique Wilkins (79.807)
58. Adrian Dantley (79.159)
59. Isiah Thomas (78.546)
60. Tony Parker (77.796)
61. Bob Cousy (77.367)

Version 3.0
1. Lebron James (349.084)
2. Michael Jordan (344.251)
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (338.712)
4. Tim Duncan (298.779)
5. Wilt Chamberlain (286.249)
6. Shaquille O'Neal (272.676)
7. Karl Malone (254.020)
8. Magic Johnson (245.837)
9. Kobe Bryant (240.482)
10. Dirk Nowitzki (217.944)
11. Hakeem Olajuwon (214.170)
12. Larry Bird (212.326)
13. Julius Erving (210.825)
14. Bill Russell (204.819)
15. David Robinson (204.612)
16. Kevin Garnett (202.285)
17. Charles Barkley (201.792)
18. John Stockton (197.668)
19. Jerry West (196.082)
20. Moses Malone (182.995)
21. Oscar Robertson (177.620)
22. Dwyane Wade (163.968)
23. Chris Paul (163.550)
24. Kevin Durant (159.819)
25. Artis Gilmore (158.610)
26. Scottie Pippen (151.532)
27. Bob Pettit (143.324)
28. Reggie Miller (140.637)
29. Clyde Drexler (138.397)
30. Patrick Ewing (136.927)
31. Dan Issel (136.701)
32. Pau Gasol (134.746)

33. Elgin Baylor (133.736)
34. Robert Parish (133.688)
35. John Havlicek (133.522)
36. Paul Pierce (132.870)
37. Jason Kidd (132.279)
38. Dwight Howard (132.053)
39. Dolph Schayes (131.565)
40. Kevin McHale (131.108)
41. Steve Nash (129.382)
42. Rick Barry (129.046)

43. Chauncey Billups (128.440)
44. Manu Ginobili (125.866)
45. Ray Allen (122.130)
46. Gary Payton (121.122)
47. Stephen Curry (118.127)

48. Walt Frazier (115.485)
49. Elvin Hayes (111.540)
50. Horace Grant (110.918)
51. Adrian Dantley (108.185)
52. George Gervin (107.210)
*53. George Mikan (106.807)
54. Bob Lanier (105.219)
55. Russell Westbrook (103.764)
56. Tony Parker (103.455)
57. James Harden (102.891)
58. Allen Iverson (100.754)
59. Isiah Thomas (99.522)
60. Sam Jones (98.503)
61. Tracy McGrady (98.089)
62. Shawn Marion (97.893)
63. Chris Bosh (97.204)
64. Vince Carter (96.408)
65. Bob Cousy (95.979)

Version 4.0
1. Lebron James - 210.114
2. Michael Jordan - 208.491
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - 203.842
4. Wilt Chamberlain - 181.800
5. Tim Duncan - 178.159
6. Shaquille O’Neal - 171.584
7. Karl Malone - 164.869
8. Kobe Bryant - 161.738
9. Magic Johnson - 159.072
10. Larry Bird - 150.733
11. Hakeem Olajuwon - 139.799
*12. Bill Russell - 139.524
13. Kevin Garnett - 136.168
14. David Robinson - 134.291
15. Julius Erving - 133.578
16. Dirk Nowitzki - 132.826
17. Charles Barkley - 131.957
18. Jerry West - 127.108
19. Oscar Robertson - 126.033
20. Moses Malone -122.878
21. John Stockton - 119.264
22. Kevin Durant - 116.061
23. Dwyane Wade - 114.468
24. Chris Paul - 113.030
25. Elgin Baylor - 108.185
26. Bob Pettit - 108.028
27. Scottie Pippen - 107.530
28. Jason Kidd - 104.903
29. Patrick Ewing - 102.994
30. Artis Gilmore - 100.589
31. Clyde Drexler - 98.843
32. Steve Nash - 98.508
33. John Havlicek - 98.435
34. Rick Barry - 95.633
35. Gary Payton - 95.610
36. Dwight Howard - 95.407
37. Stephen Curry - 94.344
38. Paul Pierce - 92.664
*39. Dolph Schayes - 91.525
40. Allen Iverson - 91.236
41. Robert Parish - 91.183
42. Pau Gasol - 90.687
43. Elvin Hayes - 90.112
44. Russell Westbrook - 89.586
45. Dan Issel - 88.451
46. Ray Allen - 86.000
47. Tony Parker - 85.960
48. Kevin McHale - 85.127
49. Isiah Thomas - 84.618
50. Chauncey Billups - 83.291
51. Tracy McGrady - 82.912
52. Reggie Miller - 82.813
53. Bob Cousy - 82.457
54. George Gervin - 81.892
55. Walt Frazier - 81.731

*56. George Mikan - 81.685

Pierce has also been a fairly solid (not great, but pretty consistently solid) defensive player, which is poorly captured by these formulas (at least given he never received any All-D honors), and his overall impact appears fairly consistent with his placement in these rankings.

So I'm likely going with him. Am considering Frazier, Gasol, Dwight Howard, as well as maybe Parish and more recently Reggie Miller as my alternate pick.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by trex_8063 » Mon Sep 4, 2017 1:58 am

OK, so just outlined some partial reasoning above.

1st vote: Paul Pierce
2nd vote:
will tentatively say Walt Frazier. This might be a touch of a "strategic" alternate vote, as the other guys I'm considering for my alternate pick just don't have the traction yet. Reggie Miller is the only other guy I'm kinda considering who is perhaps on the verge of significant traction.

trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#20 » by trex_8063 » Mon Sep 4, 2017 2:02 am

Thru post #19:

Walt Frazier - 4 (Clyde Frazier, Dr Positivity, pandrade83, penbeast0)
Isiah Thomas - 1 (scabbarista)
Bob Cousy - 1 (Pablo Novi)
Paul Pierce - 1 (trex_8063)
Tracy McGrady - 1 (twolves97)
Reggie Miller - 1 (Doctor MJ)

This thread will be open about 18 more hours.

eminence wrote:.

penbeast0 wrote:.

Clyde Frazier wrote:.

PaulieWal wrote:.

Colbinii wrote:.

Texas Chuck wrote:.

drza wrote:.

Dr Spaceman wrote:.

fpliii wrote:.

euroleague wrote:.

pandrade83 wrote:.

Hornet Mania wrote:.

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:.

SactoKingsFan wrote:.

Blackmill wrote:.

JordansBulls wrote:.

RSCS3_ wrote:.

BasketballFan7 wrote:.

micahclay wrote:.

ardee wrote:.

RCM88x wrote:.

Tesla wrote:.

Joao Saraiva wrote:.

LA Bird wrote:.

MyUniBroDavis wrote:.

kayess wrote:.

2klegend wrote:.

MisterHibachi wrote:.

70sFan wrote:.

mischievous wrote:.

Doctor MJ wrote:.

Dr Positivity wrote:.

Jaivl wrote:.

Bad Gatorade wrote:.

andrewww wrote:.

colts18 wrote:.

Moonbeam wrote:.

Cyrusman122000 wrote:.

Winsome Gerbil wrote:.

Narigo wrote:.

wojoaderge wrote:.

TrueLAfan wrote:.

90sAllDecade wrote:.

Outside wrote:.

scabbarista wrote:.

janmagn wrote:.

Arman_tanzarian wrote:.

oldschooled wrote:.

Pablo Novi wrote:.

john248 wrote:.

mdonnelly1989 wrote:.

Senior wrote:.

twolves97 wrote:.

CodeBreaker wrote:.

JoeMalburg wrote:.

dhsilv2 wrote:.

Return to Player Comparisons