The Dream
91%

Total votes: 69

Cp3fan12
Freshman
And1: 41

Draymond Green vs Hakeem Olajuwon 

Post#1 » by Cp3fan12 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:53 pm

Defense only? Some guys think this is a legit debate. Personally i think its a joke comparison.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,745

Re: Draymond Green vs Hakeem Olajuwon 

Post#2 » by eminence » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:33 pm

I'd take Dream, but wouldn't go so far as to say it's a joke comparison. Kind of like an MJ vs Kobe offensive comparison I think almost all reference frames and data leads to MJ>Kobe (or Hakeem>Dray in this case), but calling it a joke comparison is beyond insulting to another great player.
I bought a boat.
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#3 » by SlowPaced » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:51 pm

Hakeem and it's not a legit debate at all.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#4 » by clyde21 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:08 pm

Cp3fan12 wrote:Defense only? Some guys think this is a legit debate. Personally i think its a joke comparison.

You're so petty. All I was saying in the other thread was that it's ridiculous to claim that Hakeem is "easily better defender" than Dray/Gobert. I gave you my reasons which you ignored and ran out to create a ridiculous thread like this with a false premise.

Maybe instead of creating this thread you could've actually answered my post in the other one?
SlowPaced
RealGM

Post#5 » by SlowPaced » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:10 pm

clyde21 wrote:You're so petty. All I was saying in the other thread was that it's ridiculous to claim that Hakeem is "easily better defender" than Dray/Gobert.

It's not ridiculous though. Hakeem is easily a better defender than Draymond and Gobert.

He has a massive rim protection and rebounding edge on Draymond, and a massive pick 'n' roll defense and mobility edge on Gobert.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,067

Post#6 » by Laimbeer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:11 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Cp3fan12 wrote:Defense only? Some guys think this is a legit debate. Personally i think its a joke comparison.

You're so petty. All I was saying in the other thread was that it's ridiculous to claim that Hakeem is "easily better defender" than Dray/Gobert. I gave you my reasons which you ignored and ran out to create a ridiculous thread like this with a false premise.

Isn't that saying it's a legit debate?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#7 » by clyde21 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:26 pm

SlowPaced wrote:
clyde21 wrote:You're so petty. All I was saying in the other thread was that it's ridiculous to claim that Hakeem is "easily better defender" than Dray/Gobert.

It's not ridiculous though. Hakeem is easily a better defender than Draymond and Gobert.

He has a massive rim protection and rebounding edge on Draymond, and a massive pick 'n' roll defense and mobility edge on Gobert.

And Draymond has a massive edge on on him in terms of being able to defend 1-5 and all the way out to 30 feet, being able to switch and with help defense. Why are you looking at it only in the lens of rim protection? There's a lot more to defense than that.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#8 » by clyde21 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:27 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Isn't that saying it's a legit debate?

Semantics either way, and I'm still waiting for him to respond to me in the other thread.
SlowPaced
RealGM

Post#9 » by SlowPaced » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:31 pm

clyde21 wrote:And Draymond has a massive edge on on him in terms of being able to defend 1-5 and all the way out to 30 feet, being able to switch and with help defense. What makes rim protection more valuable than all of those?

First off, Draymond cannot defend PGs and SGs save from few and far between possessions. He can guard 3 through 5. Secondly, he doesn't really have an edge on help defense, it's just that modern defenses utilize fast switching and trapping based schemes much more often. Hakeem didn't exactly lack mobility, the guy moved like a guard on offense.

For someone who's very enamored with Steph's gravity on offense, you should know the value of the gravity elite rim protection brings to a defense.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#10 » by clyde21 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:31 pm

And yes, it's completely ridiculous to say Hakeem is 'easily' better than one of the best defensive players of this generation. Utter nonsense, and screams of romanticizing older players just because "people did it better back in the day" crap narrative.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#11 » by clyde21 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:34 pm

SlowPaced wrote:
clyde21 wrote:And Draymond has a massive edge on on him in terms of being able to defend 1-5 and all the way out to 30 feet, being able to switch and with help defense. What makes rim protection more valuable than all of those?

First off, Draymond cannot defend PGs and SGs save from few and far between possessions. He can guard 3 through 5. Secondly, he doesn't really have an edge on help defense, it's just that modern defenses utilize fast switching and trapping based schemes much more often.

For someone who's very enamored with Steph's gravity on offense, you should know the value of the gravity elite rim protection brings to a defense.

Draymond can defend PGs, SGs, SF, PFs, Centers. He can literally defend 1-5. He can literally defend from 3 feet out to 30 feet. He's also probably the best help defender in the entire league because of his BBIQ and defensive prowess on the switches. So yes, defense isn't just about protecting the rim (maybe that's way it was in the 90s).

No one is disputing Hakeem is a better rim defender...but Dray is probably better at everything else...and makes a defensive impact on more ways than Hakeem did if you're accounting offenses in this era.
SlowPaced
RealGM

Post#12 » by SlowPaced » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:37 pm

clyde21 wrote:Draymond can defend PGs, SGs, SF, PFs, Centers. He can literally defend 1-5. He can literally defend from 3 feet out to 30 feet. He's also probably the best help defender in the entire league because of his BBIQ and defensive prowess on the switches. So yes, defense isn't just about protecting the rim (maybe that's way it was in the 90s).

No one is disputing Hakeem is a better rim defender...but Dray is probably better at everything else...and makes a defensive impact on more ways than Hakeem did if you're accounting offenses in this era.

You just repeated the things that you said previously. Color me convinced, can't argue with that.
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,147

Post#13 » by AdagioPace » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:37 pm

I value rim protection more than any other defensive "assignment" and I don't consider Draymond top 10 all time in this department. Versatility doesn't impress me enough. Gimme Hakeem (and drob, and duncan, and mutombo,and Gobert too!! etc...)
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
Cp3fan12
Freshman

Post#14 » by Cp3fan12 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:46 pm

clyde21 wrote:

Maybe instead of creating this thread you could've actually answered my post in the other one?

I did respond and more than once so don't be dishonest.
Cp3fan12
Freshman

Post#15 » by Cp3fan12 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:50 pm

SlowPaced wrote:
clyde21 wrote:Draymond can defend PGs, SGs, SF, PFs, Centers. He can literally defend 1-5. He can literally defend from 3 feet out to 30 feet. He's also probably the best help defender in the entire league because of his BBIQ and defensive prowess on the switches. So yes, defense isn't just about protecting the rim (maybe that's way it was in the 90s).

You just repeated the things that you said previously. Color me convinced, can't argue with that.

That's all he ever does is regurgitates the same trash even after it's been proven wrong. I guess he thinks the more you repeat something the more true it becomes lol.

Interesting that he claims to be an expert on what elite defense entails considering he's been watching Nba for what 3-4 years now.

Lol
Triples333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,671

Post#16 » by Triples333 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:54 pm

clyde21 wrote:And yes, it's completely ridiculous to say Hakeem is 'easily' better than one of the best defensive players of this generation. Utter nonsense, and screams of romanticizing older players just because "people did it better back in the day" crap narrative.

I wouldn't go that far. We're comparing essentially 3 seasons of truly elite defense from Draymond to more than a decades worth of supreme dominance from Dream (stats wise Draymond's best season would not rate in Dream's top 5) on that end; dominance that had/has him soundly regarded as one of the top defenders in NBA history. You might be underrating Hakeem's versatility as well. He was not some plodding rim protector who did not stave away from the block, he was dynamic in his own right and had lighting quick hands + was extremely smart in understanding where a player was moving. That combined with his upper echelon height/length made for a player who was regularly racking up 2 steals and 3.5+ blocks a night.

Draymond's D (down to his rim protection... granted against today's offensive bigs) is arguably better suited for this particular era (that's the argument I would stick to personally), but even then that is probably a stretch. Dream would be comparable to a more fleet of foot Gobert with far better hands/instincts. It's a case where while Draymond is SUCH an intelligent/disruptive defensive force that it's unwise for people to just brush him off in the debate without thinking it through, it is still clearly open/shut advantage Dream.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#17 » by clyde21 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:01 pm

SlowPaced wrote:

I repeated what I said because you didn't address it. What makes Hakeem's rim protection more valuable than Draymond's ability to guard 1-5? Or to able to guard 3ft-30ft?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#18 » by clyde21 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:03 pm

Triples333 wrote:We're comparing essentially 3 seasons of truly elite defense from Draymond to more than a decades worth of supreme dominance from Dream

We're not comparing them or ranking them based on their careers, though. We're comparing their defensive peaks.
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#19 » by bledredwine » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:03 pm

SlowPaced wrote:Hakeem and it's not a legit debate at all.

This. It IS a joke comparison. "Draymond or the greatest paint defender of all time?"
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
SlowPaced
RealGM

Post#20 » by SlowPaced » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:04 pm

clyde21 wrote:
SlowPaced wrote:

I repeated what I said because you didn't address it. What makes Hakeem's rim protection more valuable than Draymond's ability to guard 1-5? Or to able to guard 3ft-30ft?

I didn't address it? Are you **** kidding me? Bother to read people's responses if you want to debate them. Jesus Christ.

I DISPUTED your statement regarding Draymond being able to guard 1-5. You're still regurgitating it like I didn't dispute it.

In regards to rim protection vs versatility, I said this

SlowPaced wrote:For someone who's very enamored with Steph's gravity on offense, you should know the value of the gravity elite rim protection brings to a defense.

But go on, keep repeating the same stuff again and again and keep ignoring the fact that people don't take your arguments at face value.

Return to Player Comparisons