Worst 90s star who would put the Jordan Bulls above GSW for sure?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Re: Worst 90s star who would put the Jordan Bulls above GSW for sure? 

Post#21 » by pelifan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:05 pm

The 96 Bulls ability to run Jordan, Pippen, Rodman 3-5 would be absolutely terrifying for GS. While youd be tempted to go with a younger bulls team to get a better Jordan. I think this version of the bulls would be able to best beat the dubs at their own game. As far as a 90s star to pair with that group, Reggie Miller or Stockton maybe.

As for everyone who says 3>2 the best shot in the NBA is still at the line, followed by at the rim.

Not sure how GS keeps the Bulls from either shot.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,747

Post#22 » by eminence » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:09 pm

20th, 16th, 26th, 26th, 28th, 21st

The Bulls league rank in FTA/FGA in their title winning years. Well well below average, I don't see Golden State having any problems at all keeping them from the line.
I bought a boat.
Mystical Apples
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,349

Post#23 » by Mystical Apples » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:16 pm

Ray Allen would've been a great fit. Esp. prime Ray Allen playing off ball with starters and running offense with the bench. I'd put him on the 1996 team and start Rodman at center.

Another option is Kevin Garnett but that feels a little scorched earth -- I'd for sure take the Bulls.
geometry
eminence
RealGM

Post#24 » by eminence » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:26 pm

Mystical Apples wrote:Ray Allen would've been a great fit. Esp. prime Ray Allen playing off ball with starters and running offense with the bench. I'd put him on the 1996 team and start Rodman at center.

Another option is Kevin Garnett but that feels a little scorched earth -- I'd for sure take the Bulls.

Late 90's KG is a great mention imo, think he'd fit great and would still allow them to run 2 bigger guys in him and Rodman or Grant.
I bought a boat.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#25 » by E-Balla » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:36 pm

92 Bulls are the best Bulls to me but I'm using 96 as the base for their bench (because you need depth against the GSW. Add 96 Grant back and they might be better than Golden State.

Kerr/Harper
Jordan
Scottie
Rodman/Kukoc
Grant/Longley

They just matchup well with them and the series will come down to Rodman dominating the boards imo. Their rebounding id their Achilles heel and we saw what happens when you dominate the boards against them when Cleveland won in 2016.
Mystical Apples
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,349

Post#26 » by Mystical Apples » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:39 pm

eminence wrote:
Mystical Apples wrote:Ray Allen would've been a great fit. Esp. prime Ray Allen playing off ball with starters and running offense with the bench. I'd put him on the 1996 team and start Rodman at center.

Late 90's KG is a great mention imo, think he'd fit great and would still allow them to run 2 bigger guys in him and Rodman or Grant.

Yeah gotta go with additive value without the diminishing returns of usage. Kirilenko next to Pippen/Rodman would be fascinating but unfortunately early 2000's.
geometry
KempwiththeDunk
Freshman
And1: 15

Post#27 » by KempwiththeDunk » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:49 am

kabstah wrote:In a time machine comparison? No one.

Once a team gets sufficiently good at three point shooting, then high volume three point shooting necessarily becomes the optimal strategy simply because 3 > 2. That level of shooting skill simply did not exist in the 90's, however, so GSW's strategy would be completely alien to anyone from that era. It'd be like if the NBA champions from the year 2040 came back to today, and everyone on that team has mastered the art of the half-court skyhook.

The Rockets beat the Warriors last night. They just got more shots. The Warriors have always been a team that has to get more shot attempts to win. How are they going to get more shot attempts than the Bulls with
Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, and Harper.

Also anyone that knows the Bulls knows that the Warriors would be held to under 35% on threes every game. The Bulls used to hold everyone under 25% every game, even against teams like the Rockets, Spurs, Mavs, and Lakers who all shot a lot of threes. Also the Mavs were the first team to shoot threes. They were averaging 50 attempts per game in 1997. They had D. Scott. G. McCould, Harris, Jim Jackson and players like that. It didn't really help them win even though they were making 38% which would be top 5 in todays NBA.
Last edited by Clyde Frazier on Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: poster trolling, locking post
KempwiththeDunk
Freshman
And1: 15

Post#28 » by KempwiththeDunk » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:56 am

Just to play along, Add David Robinson and the Bulls win by 40 every game. Because the Bulls are already way better than the Warriors. The Bulls would already win every game 90-70. They would completely crush the warriors confidence. Add Robinson and they win 100-60
kabstah
Sixth Man
And1: 1,007

Post#29 » by kabstah » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:53 am

KempwiththeDunk wrote:

Once a team gets sufficiently good at three point shooting, then high volume three point shooting necessarily becomes the optimal strategy simply because 3 > 2. That level of shooting skill simply did not exist in the 90's, however, so GSW's strategy would be completely alien to anyone from that era. It'd be like if the NBA champions from the year 2040 came back to today, and everyone on that team has mastered the art of the half-court skyhook.

The Rockets beat the Warriors last night. They just got more shots. The Warriors have always been a team that has to get more shot attempts to win.

The Warriors set the record for highest team-wide TS% two years in a row. By definition that means they don't need more shot attempts to win. Quite the opposite actually.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,265

Post#30 » by trex_8063 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:57 am

pandrade83 wrote:I'm assuming this player is going on the '92 Bulls - which had an offensive rating of 115.5 btw.

I need to address as many of the following as possible with one guy:

-3 Point Shooting
-Rim Protection
-Ability to make my roster eat into the Cartwright/Perdue/King minute slot

I was kinda thinking the same things (especially the latter two). And I was thinking perhaps not even quite as good as Schrempf. I thought maybe Rik Smits.

The line-up of Jordan/Paxson/Pippen/Grant/Smits, with all that depth that the have.......I thought that team could have a chance against the Warriors.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#31 » by Dr Spaceman » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:25 pm

KempwiththeDunk wrote:

The Rockets beat the Warriors last night. They just got more shots. The Warriors have always been a team that has to get more shot attempts to win. How are they going to get more shot attempts than the Bulls with
Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, and Harper.

Also anyone that knows the Bulls knows that the Warriors would be held to under 35% on threes every game. The Bulls used to hold everyone under 25% every game, even against teams like the Rockets, Spurs, Mavs, and Lakers who all shot a lot of threes. Also the Mavs were the first team to shoot threes. They were averaging 50 attempts per game in 1997. They had D. Scott. G. McCould, Harris, Jim Jackson and players like that. It didn't really help them win even though they were making 38% which would be top 5 in todays NBA.

They also made more steals than the statisticians think.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
eminence
RealGM

Post#32 » by eminence » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:33 pm

Just in case anyone got bamboozled, the '97 Mavs shot 16 3's a game (19/29 in the league) at 32.7% (27/29). In '96 they at least led the league in attempts at 24.9 per game, shooting 36%, good for 18/29.
I bought a boat.
Jiminy Glick
Assistant Coach
And1: 726

Post#33 » by Jiminy Glick » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:23 pm

1999 Kobe on the 1991 Bulls
jaypo
Lead Assistant
And1: 436

Post#34 » by jaypo » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:44 pm

Matchup wise, I think any version of the 3 peat Bulls (both) would fare well against these GSW. Pippen would defend KD like nobody could. MJ would either shut Klay down or have Curry on his knees. That would leave Green as the only other superior matchup. And I think Ho Grant does well there. Now, if we're talking about Rodman, well, Green would be kicked out of the first game! Rodman would eat his lunch and get in his head!

So basically, that Chicago D would turn the Warriors into a team with only 1.5 superior weapons, being whoever MJ and Pipp are not guarding and possibly Green. They wouldn't be the 3.5 headed monster they are now. And on offense, NOBODY is stopping MJ.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,484

Post#35 » by Jaivl » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:36 am

Jiminy Glick wrote:1999 Kobe on the 1991 Bulls

OP clearly stated "star".

Spoiler:
:devil:
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
Jiminy Glick
Assistant Coach
And1: 726

Post#36 » by Jiminy Glick » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:19 am

Jaivl wrote:
Jiminy Glick wrote:1999 Kobe on the 1991 Bulls

OP clearly stated "star".

Spoiler:
:devil:

He was, in fact he had already made the 1998 all-star game. Actually I am not even sure if that is enough to get it done though, perhaps he was too inexperienced.

Return to Player Comparisons