john248 wrote:.

mdonnelly1989 wrote:.

Senior wrote:.

twolves97 wrote:.

CodeBreaker wrote:.

JoeMalburg wrote:.

dhsilv2 wrote:.

iggymcfrack wrote:.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,263

Re: RealGM 2017 Top 100 List: #54 

Post#2 » by trex_8063 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:18 am

Flip-flopping my last primary/alternate vote.....

1st vote: Bob Lanier
2nd vote: Allen Iverson

My biggest reservation about Lanier has been his defense. I was recently watching Game 6 of the '76 WCSF (Pistons '76/Warriors)---which is a fabulous game, btw, available on YouTube---and my impression of Lanier's defense was.......that's it's sporadic. I would see some lazy defensive possessions intermingled with some brilliant defensive plays (like his two blocks in a row at the end of regulation).
However, Owly assuaged my concerns somewhat last thread with these details:

Owly wrote:Team level D might be held against him but his Drtg (hardly perfect, but I think sufficient for the point/claim being made) in '74 when he played 81 games led the league.

A concern might be that he missed quite a few games, including playing (just) less than 65 games and 2500 minutes for three of his five short prime/extended peak years ('76, '77 and '78 of '74-'78). Still for that 5 year span he looks like the 2nd or 3rd best player in the league (even after minutes are factored in) and he lasted much better than McAdoo.
cf:
The five year span in question http://bkref.com/tiny/64BQL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The 70s: http://bkref.com/tiny/0DbJe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reviews on D
The 1975 Pro Basketball Handbook from 1974 wrote:Lanier is the big difference. He played only when in the mood before last season. He concentrated more on stopping other teams from penetrating and fourth in blocked shots with 247.

[individual bio]
Called "Moses" by his teammates ... For leading them out of the wilderness ...... trimmer last season ...... Defense was his biggest improvement

The 1977 Pro Basketball Handbook from 1976 wrote:Depending on who's in there, the Pistons can make you work. When one of the "whos" is either Trapp or Howard Porter, the opponents can relax a bit. But Rowe, Ford, Mengelt, Kevin Porter, Money and Lanier will get down and play some defense. Lanier, in fact often surprises people by jumping out to pick up guards or forwards. He also clogs the middle nicely.
[individual bio]
Has become a very intimidating defensive player who, like Dave Cowens, is not afraid to switch out on unsuspecting forwards and guards.

The 1978 Pro Basketball Handbook from 1977 wrote:Somewhat confusing. Lanier is a mammoth figure to try and get around [and some other decent players but the Porters are bad and the bench "woefully weak" ... comunication and fouling called a problem, perhaps coaching semi-implied as a problem based on that?]
[individual bio]
Can rebound, block shots, play defense, do everything but clean the kitchen floor ...... [unrelated but I've touched on this] Injuries have been a problem, though, but he has always played hurt

The 1979 Pro Basketball Handbook from 1978 wrote:[Vitale will be looking to emphasize D] Lanier gives him a head start. That is the advantage of having a big center. Lanier seals off the middle and is tough and aggressive.

The 1980 Pro Basketball Handbook from 1979 wrote:[individual bio]Devensively he can be as imposing as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or Bill Walton or Artis Gilmore

Depending on how much you allow hypotheticals, you might also consider that Detroit rushed him back in his rookie year which may have been detrimental to his long term health.

I know it's subjective/anecdotal, but still better than nothing. And the guy was an outstanding offensive big.
And though I didn't quote it here to keep the length down, Owly also presented some data pertaining to Lanier's impact. I'll present my own [more coarse] findings in WOWY (with a few different means of looking at '80):

With/Without Records/Wins added per season (pro-rated to 82 games)
‘75: 39-37 (.513) with Lanier, 1-5 (.167) without him/+28.4 wins
‘76: 30-34 (.469) with Lanier, 6-12 (.333) without him/+11.1 wins
‘77: 38-26 (.594) with Lanier, 6-12 (.333) without him/+21.4 wins
‘78: 31-32 (.492) with Lanier, 7-12 (.368) without him/+10.2 wins
‘79: 21-32 (396) with Lanier, 9-20 (.310) without him/+7.1 wins
‘80 Pistons: 9-28 (.243) with Lanier, 5-12 (.294) without
‘80 Pistons overall before trade (for Kent Benson): 14-40 (.259)
‘80 Pistons after trade: 2-26 (.071)
‘80 Bucks before obtaining Lanier: 29-27 (.518)
‘80 Bucks after obtaining Lanier: 20-6 (.769) (Lanier played all 26 games)
*‘81: 48/49-18/19 with Lanier, *11/12-3/4 without him
*he actually played 67 games, but game log data only recording 66 (48-18); is possible [likely] they won they other game he played in, making the with record 49-18 (.731) and 11-4 (.733) without. Would be -0.1 wins added in that instance.
‘82: 53-21 (.716) with Lanier, 2-6 (.250) without him/+38.2 wins

The above data spans eight years, SIX different head coaches, and a fair amount of supporting cast turnover.

So one way are another, Lanier's impact appears to have been pretty consistently substantial in nature (and was so across multiple settings). And while Lanier's lack of All-NBA honors will work against him for some people, I'd caution against thinking that this means he was scarcely ever a top 5-10 player: he finished 3rd in the MVP vote in '74, 4th in '77 (POST-merger), and had TWO other top 10 finishes, and received at least slight MVP consideration in a total SEVEN seasons.

wrt Iverson:

Here's some WOWY findings from '99-'06.....
AVERAGE effect of having Iverson vs. not having him over these years:
NOT weighted for games played/missed
+7.3 ppg
+1.1% TS%
+2.3 ORtg
+4.61 SRS
WEIGHTED for games played
+7.4 ppg
+1.2% TS%
+2.5 ORtg
+4.21 SRS
Weighted for games missed
+7.1 ppg
+0.8% TS%
+1.4 ORtg
+2.90 SRS
39-59 record (.398) without, 251-193 record (.565) with (avg of +13.7 wins per 82-game season).

And again: '04 was a definitive outlier within this time period; he was playing banged up and performing well below his usual standard. If I can cherry-pick a little and remove that year from consideration.....
AVERAGE effect of having Iverson vs. not having him during '99-'02, '05 and '06:
NOT weighted for # of games played in each season
+7.8 ppg
+1.4% TS%
+3.0 ORtg
+5.49 SRS
WEIGHTED for games played
+7.7 ppg
+1.4% TS%
+3.0 ORtg
+4.81 SRS
WEIGHTED for games missed
+8.3 ppg
+1.5% TS%
+3.2 ORtg
+4.82 SRS
25-39 record (.391) without, 232-164 record (.586) with: avg of +16 wins per 82-game season.

In terms of rate metrics, Iverson often isn't quite an apples to apples comparison to some other players, due to the extreme mpg he was typically playing. Just as a few for instances, looking at best 9-year spans:

Alex English ('81-'89): 21.5 PER, .139 WS/48, +2.3 BPM in 36.6 mpg
Dominique Wilkins ('86-'94): 23.2 PER, .173 WS/48, +3.5 BPM in 37.4 mpg
Manu Ginobili ('04-'12): 22.4 PER, .222 WS/48, ~+6.4 BPM in 28.7 mpg---->just want to point out that fatigue or pacing one's self is almost never an issue in these kinds of minutes for a conditioned NBA athlete.
Allen Iverson ('98-'06): 22.1 PER, .139 WS/48, +3.7 BPM in 41.9 mpg---->fatigue would become a nightly significant issue for most players (especially while shouldering his kind of usage), which would effect their rate metrics. His rate metrics are still slightly better than those of English, and only slightly behind those of Wilkins. Significantly behind those of Manu, though again there's more than an entire quarter of play difference in their respective playing times, so it's a bit hard to make the straight up comparison.

Manu soundly trumps all in terms of impact metrics, though I'll say again: impact is not player quality. It's player quality + role/fit/circumstance......and I do think Manu got the best of the latter category among pretty much everyone else on the table at this time. I must confess to worrying about his health/longevity in other settings, too, fwiw.
Impact measures are also rate metrics, too, don't forget (again referring to his limited minute role).

Not saying Manu isn't a good candidate here; he is [imo]. He's among the cluster of guys I'd be most content with getting voted in presently. But for a variety of reasons, I'm not comfortable voting for him myself.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,672

Post#3 » by penbeast0 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:24 am

For modern players, I am looking at Manu Ginobili is probably my top guy at the moment. The minutes limits are troubling (as they are for Bobby Jones) and it seems odd to have a guy who played most of his career as a reserve here (like Bobby Jones) but Manu was an exception to a lot of rules. 90s have been picked through pretty well except for the oddity that is Dennis Rodman, GOAT rebounder in regular season, but big dropoffs in the postseason or I'd probably be looking at him here.

80s, Sidney Moncrief had a short career but every time I saw him he was brutally effective, particularly defensively. Bobby Jones is another great two way player with limited time (not length of career for him but minutes per game). On the other end, Adrian Dantley is probably the next great scorer over Nique (and King/Aguirre/Marques who didn't have the longevity even if they peaked higher). To paraphrase LA Bird, the only real argument for Nique over English is style over substance; they scored roughly equivalent amounts but English was more efficient, a clearly superior defender, and he scored them in the context of the Nuggets offense without having to have constant isos run for him. No one left is as offensively impressive to me as English and Dantley except for the shorter modern careers like James Harden.

60s guys, I am looking at Sam Jones, Hal Greer, Dave Debusschere, and Nate Thurmond, maybe Chet Walker. Thurmond is hurt by his offense and his team winning a title just after trading him for Cliff Ray. 70s there are a bunch of guys like Daniels, Cowens, Hayes, Reed, and McAdoo just among big men. Of these, I'd rather have Dave Cowens though the stats don't always back me up. But having watched them a lot, he had an Alonzo Mourning attitude with stretch the floor midrange shooting. 50s guys, Arizin is the best left then maybe Neil Johnston, the Amare of the 50s, whose great looking numbers overrate his impact.

Vote: Alex English
Alt: Manu Ginobili

“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,052

Re: Re: RealGM 2017 Top 100 List: #54 

Post#4 » by iggymcfrack » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:52 am

I'm gonna be voting for Manu Ginobili again for sure. My alternate vote, I'm a little more up in the air about. Took McGrady last time, but wasn't crazy about how his RAPM numbers were so poor in his prime years when I looked at them. Was thinking about maybe switching alternate vote to Mutombo, but now he's gone look seriously at Harden, McGrady, Rodman, Bobby Jones, Iverson for sure, and am open to being convinced on second place.
pandrade83
Starter
And1: 604

Post#5 » by pandrade83 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:17 am

Have limited time so this won't be as long as some other posts.

1st Choice: James Harden
2nd Choice: Chauncey Billups

I think everyone knows the arguments for Harden - this is a recent player so unless you're not paying attention to current basketball, you understand the case for. I'll tackle the case against instead.

Longevity - he has 7 high impact years; so there's a solid base there and his impact in Houston has been a very strong peak/prime - imo, the best left.

Defense - He sucks at this and I'm not going to try and defend it. The only thing I will say is that it's already baked into the team performance and in spite of this he was able to . . .

Lead a Team - Your supporting cast doesn't suck just because you don't play with another all-star. But Harden is the straw that stirs the drink for that team. He allows those 3 point shooters to shoot at a high rate, he allows Capela & Harrell to get the looks they get & he allowed Beverly to be Beverly last year. The team's depth is (imo) why the RAPM data looks the way it does, & I felt that the way he was able to lead the team last year & a couple years back when they made the WCF was very impressive.

Playoff performance - I dingg him all time time about his game 6 v Spurs & the '12 Finals. Let's look at those runs in fuller context:
Last year he averaged 29-9-6 58% TS in the playoffs. The 5 TO per game is a bit alarming - but still - pretty strong.

Let's look at '12:

16-5-3 on 61% TS. And as bad as he was in the Finals, I think he was their 2nd best player against the Spurs in the WCF that year.

When we take into consideration the massive peak, and that he has a few years on the same order of magnitude - just not as high - I'm comfortable putting him in here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Billups: Strong playoff performer who had a big impact on winning from '03-'11. Led multiple contenders in Detroit & fueled deep playoff runs including a chip & a very close '05 Finals vs. the Spurs. When swapped for Iverson, we see Denver improve dramatically & Detroit fall off a cliff. Transformed into a true offensive anchor and anchored offenses that finished 6th or better in pts per possession from '06-'08 & when swapped for Iverson, Denver accelerates their offensive rating from 11th to 7th and then 3rd in '09. Has a higher peak than you think breaking the 15 WS mark in '06 with a WS/48 exceeding the .25 mark.
penbeast0

Post#6 » by penbeast0 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:32 pm

pandrade83 wrote:Have limited time so this won't be as long as some other posts.

I think everyone knows the arguments for Harden - this is a recent player so unless you're not paying attention to current basketball, you understand the case for. I'll tackle the case against instead.

Longevity - he has 7 high impact years; so there's a solid base there and his impact in Houston has been a very strong peak/prime - imo, the best left.

Defense - the full impact of that is already showing up in the team performance - and what he did last year is one of the most impressive carry jobs we've ever seen.

Playoff performance - I dingg him all time time about his game 6 v Spurs & the '12 Finals. Let's look at those runs in fuller context:
Last year he averaged 29-9-6 58% TS in the playoffs. The 5 TO per game is a bit alarming - but still - pretty strong.

Let's look at '12:

16-5-3 on 61% TS. And as bad as he was in the Finals, I think he was their 2nd best player against the Spurs in the WCF that year.

When we take into consideration the massive peak, and that he has a few years on the same order of magnitude - just not as high - I'm comfortable putting him in here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Billups: Strong playoff performer who had a big impact on winning from '03-'11. Led multiple contenders in Detroit & fueled deep playoff runs including a chip & a very close '05 Finals vs. the Spurs. When swapped for Iverson, we see Denver improve dramatically & Detroit fall off a cliff. Transformed into a true offensive anchor and anchored offenses that finished 6th or better in pts per possession from '06-'08 & when swapped for Iverson, Denver accelerates their offensive rating from 11th to 7th and then 3rd in '09. Has a higher peak than you think breaking the 15 WS mark in '06 with a WS/48 exceeding the .25 mark.

I'd be reasonably comfortable with either but you are still putting the comment about Harden carrying Houston under the heading, "Defense," which is just wrong.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
pandrade83
Starter
And1: 604

Post#7 » by pandrade83 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:04 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
pandrade83 wrote:Have limited time so this won't be as long as some other posts.

Defense - the full impact of that is already showing up in the team performance - and what he did last year is one of the most impressive carry jobs we've ever seen.

Let's look at '12:

I'd be reasonably comfortable with either but you are still putting the comment about Harden carrying Houston under the heading, "Defense," which is just wrong.

This literally made me laugh out loud so I went back & edited it.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by trex_8063 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:15 pm

iggymcfrack wrote:I'm gonna be voting for Manu Ginobili again for sure. My alternate vote, I'm a little more up in the air about. Took McGrady last time, but wasn't crazy about how his RAPM numbers were so poor in his prime years when I looked at them. Was thinking about maybe switching alternate vote to Mutombo, but now he's gone look seriously at Harden, McGrady, Rodman, Bobby Jones, Iverson for sure, and am open to being convinced on second place.

Harden - I'm not quite ready for due to impact which is generally a bit underwhelming relative to his box-metrics, and due to lacking longevity: just 8 seasons to his credit; with one more season----not even as good as last year or as '15, but rather just "average prime-level" for him----and I'd certainly be ready for him at this stage. But for now, there's still others I'd prefer before him.

Rodman - The narrative you frequently hear about Rodman is that he gives you GOAT-level defense and GOAT-level rebounding......but outside of perhaps 1-2 seasons, that is quite simply not true. In most of his GOAT-level rebounding years, he was actively sacrificing defense in order to chase rebounds; at times to the degree that his defense was downright bad (see '95 WCF for example). So Rodman was giving either GOAT-level PF defense or GOAT-level rebounding.....but very rarely both. His maturity/stability/on and off-court antics possibly put him on the shortlist of all-time worst intangibles players for me, too. otoh, countering that to some degree, I will hand it to him that I'm not sure anyone played the crowd better than Dennis Rodman; and that does have tangible value, imo. Getting the crowd behind you can really be beneficial as far as motivating your teammates. Overall though, he's not one I'm yet considering.

McGrady - Yeah. Any way you look at it he's a perfectly sound candidate around now, imo.

Iverson - Obviously I've been supporting him for a couple threads now. His accolades overstate him, for sure; but even with that in mind, his overall career resume carries more than enough weight to give him consideration at this stage.

Bobby Jones - I'm trying to get a handle on Bobby Jones, as many seem to be REALLY high on him. Toward that end, I've had some free-time at work today and have been watching some Sixer playoffs games from '82 and '79. He's generally regarded as on the super-shortlist of all-time best defensive forwards. As I watch him (admittedly I'm watching with a fairly critical eye, sort of reactionary to his reputation), I'm actually not super-impressed with his halfcourt man defense. Not necessarily bad; but just not appearing "special" either. His real defensive value appears to come from his tendency to sort of "play free safety", and use his great length and athleticism on the help D. His steal and block numbers are easily referenced, and he certainly is coming over and helping (and changing) lots of other shots. EDIT: Though I note he gambles from time to time in going for blocks/steals.
Otherwise, within the context of his halfcourt man defense, I see him having some difficulty getting thru/around screens to stay with his man (perhaps a function of his relatively slight frame? EDIT2: perhaps also related is he seems at times a touch...."frail" when bodying up and taking contact down low, occasionally even shying away from it), which was sporadically an issue on a few plays. I also have seen a mental error or two: one in which he's guarding Larry Bird; Bird has popped out and caught the pass at the top of the key 19-20 ft out, turned and squared to the hoop......and Jones sort of hangs back and only minimally contests. I mean, it's Larry Bird; how is allowing a clean 19-20 footer the lesser of two evils than risking him beating you on the dribble in a clogged lane (especially when you have Jones' length and quickness)?
I also note (this opinion mostly based on statistical evidence) that he's a fairly mediocre rebounding PF (fairly nice outlet passer when he does rebound, though).
Not sure where that leaves my overall defensive grade of him. Certainly a strong positive on that end, though I worry his reputation is slightly overstated. Does anyone have handy the link to the RAPM for those early Sixer squads?

Offensively, he scores slightly above average volume on elite efficiency, and appears a fairly good passing PF. Not infrequently he's facilitating from the baseline/wing (or occasionally the high post) to a cutter or posting teammate. As far as scoring, he doesn't create for himself with any regularity. The vast majority of his shots appear to be open catch-and-shoots along the baseline (or occasionally elbow) from 10-15 ft and transition buckets (plus the odd tip-in/put-back). He rarely puts the ball on the floor (and if he does it's typically one dribble). In many ways, his role on offense reminds me of Horace Grant's, except Horace was a significantly better offensive rebounder and generally in better position for easy hoops off a drive-and-dish, while Jones was better running and finishing in transition.

So given this assessment of him, combined with a career that spans just 12 seasons of generally limited minutes, he too is not someone I'm ready to lend my support just yet.

Just my 2c.....

Fundamentals21
Bench Warmer
And1: 624

Post#9 » by Fundamentals21 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:08 pm

Vote: Willis Reed
Alt: Manu Ginobilli

Main Pick: Willis Reed

I am impressed enough to give him the nod here. Only issue with Reed was longevity but that's okay. My other main considerations didn't have long primes either. Iverson fell off the cliff right away, Manu always had durability issues, Billups hit prime very late, etc.

Willis Reed is a reliable low MVP type big. He'll put up around 18/9 type numbers in modern day. Sort of like Pau Gasol. I'd say he has around 16 TRB% ball park which is on the same level. Hit the .200+ W/S mark in both playoffs and RS a couple different times in his career. 3 Top 5 MVP finishes is really good at this level, too. Maybe 1 was fluky, but the overall respect and consideration given to him wasn't. He also is one of those players that displays ability to play through injury and in the process inspire teammates to elevated play, something that a guy like Tracy McGrady wasn't capable of.

On the Knicks' first play from scrimmage Reed jumps from the top of the key and the shot goes in. "He ain't hurt," Walt Frazier says to himself, behind his muttonchop grin. Soon, though, Reed is hobbling like Chester chasing vainly after Marshall Dillon. Willis is to hit his second (and last) shot in another minute, but before that what he does at the other end of the court is even more significant. Wilt takes the ball at his spot to the left of the lane. He moves left. If he keeps going that way, can Reed stay with him? Can he shuffle fast enough or can he possibly cross over with that dragging, painful right leg? Willis stays with Wilt for a step. It is enough. Wilt goes no farther. He stops, fakes and throws the ball out. Thereafter, he goes almost exclusively sideways to the right, not driving in, just flipping his finger-rolls. Before Reed goes out with 3:05 left in the half, Wilt gets the ball 17 times in the pivot. He makes only two baskets in nine tries against the disabled Reed.

Some more cool stuff on Wilt-Reed matchups https://www.si.com/vault/1973/05/21/618334/where-theres-a-willis

----

I am going in a slightly different direction with Iverson than my initial perception. Doc MJ had a point - Iverson does fall a bit too short on impact metrics. I feel the most reliable RAPM test maybe from 97-14 I saw had him right next to Chauncey Billups. Anyway, Iverson deserves to be a Top 60 lock, but it's not quiet Top 45 the way I originally had him. The greatest struggle I had with Iverson is how much value to give a weak offensive superstar. Regardless of ranking, I do still view him the same way, and I do intend to give him the nod in a couple spots, but I have decided to give other players more consideration - players that may not put up the raw numbers but still lead their respective team offenses.

---

Namely my Alt Pick Manu Ginobilli, and it's probably controversial I gave him the edge of Iverson. Always rocked the +/- metrics and did well enough in the playoffs for Pop to trust him all the way up until he started falling off the cliff. And even then, Manu has been trusted with the more important games in playoff time. There was some questioning of Manu's competition coming off the bench, but Pop's faith proves otherwise.

Stuff like this is VERY common with Manu.

Read on Twitter

Now if you place a dose of context on the role he played, he was expected to run the offense with Duncan as the steady anchor of the ship. I would say overall he has done a brilliant job from the 05-14 span. Many people pointed to this Olympics as well which was an impressive feat to overcome Team USA (coincidentially, the other side's offense was being run by Allen Iverson/Marbury).

Manu is the type of guy whose impact I felt was like a Pippen to MJ, and obviously Pippen fell into the 30's. However, due to the lack of durability I never really ranked him on an All Time list, but this spot feels okay - along with less effective #1's such as Iverson and incredible team leads such as Billups.

The James Harden stuff is interesting. Suffice to say I feel both Westbrook and Harden are Top 50 locks in a couple years. With Harden right now, I feel he's clearly ahead of the pool in terms of peak. Presently he has 5 great superstar type years and 1 6th man star level year. I would feel slightly more comfortable voting him in at Age 30. That's really just it. Harden is clearly the first one that did D'Antoni's thing the way D'Antoni wanted it done since Steve Nash, and that's saying something. I frankly don't care too much of his defense. From what I've seen even if he's a negative, it's generally not worse than other ballhandling superstars. Harden will likely get a vote from me by #60 or so.

With Bob Lanier, I have been uncertain. Lanier seems to fall short defensively of both although trex presented a good argument in favor. Lanier also lost a good amount of years spending time on average to mediocre Detroit teams, which is perhaps why I didn't pay as much attention to him when I looked into top bigmen. With so much of defense coming down to coaching, chemistry and well organized communication, timed switching, etc. teammates are extremely important and that's why someone like even KG couldn't make his real defense known in Minnesota. Suffice to say I may be ready to bump him up, but I'll take a good hard look at him vs other bigs such as Cowens or Elvin Hayes, too.

Alex English and Nique both come short of do-it-all guards such as Manu or Iverson in my head. Generally from a player consuming that amount of possessions, I would prefer to have better passing/team floor awareness than either 1 did. Both players were ultimately responsible for lower team ceilings as I would expect. Carmelo is the closest modern day equivalent, most likely, and his game has best translated to FIBA rather than the NBA (still did perennial all star well, but never enough to merit the attention of a superstar). I'll at least give English the nod with his efficiency which wasn't so bad, and in addition to this he seemed to have the rep of an iron man, which I do value as well in rankings.

Tracy McGrady - Just had to throw him out here. I sort of prefer him over Nique or English. He was certainly a better player, but curious if his lack of longevity is a problem. I figure I'll use some sort of metric to do a side by side comparison here.

Bobby Jones - I have him in a similar category as Cunningham or Dave Debus. Actually is Shawn Marion all that behind? The little I know he's likable, but there are around 8-10 candidates I prefer at this time.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,295

Post#10 » by Clyde Frazier » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:09 pm

Vote 1 - Willis Reed

Vote 2 - Elvin Hayes

On their way to the championship in 1970, willis helped the knicks knock off 2 of the most dominant centers of all time in wilt and kareem. Undersized for a center at 6’9”, his brute strength and good defensive instincts were still able to deter them. He also had a great outside shot for a big man, which was very effective against wilt in his later years. He would again get the best of wilt in 73 when the knicks took down the lakers in the finals.

I don’t have a problem with questioning his 2 finals MVPs relative to Clyde’s level of play in those series. However, I don’t doubt that reed was a player whose impact went beyond the box score, and I’d say that’s what voters were recognizing when selecting him as finals MVP in both seasons. This was best exemplified in the famous moment when reed came through the tunnel in game 7 of the 70 finals:

As the lakers were warming up, they froze as they saw willis coming onto the court (he had previously missed game 6 with a torn muscle in his thigh, and no one expected him to play). He hit his first 2 jumpers, and the rest was history. Dramatic narrative? Of course, but Clyde himself said they wouldn’t have had the confidence to go out there and perform like they did without their captain leading the way. When you have the talent to back it up as willis did, that makes a difference.

He was certainly deserving of winning reg season MVP in 1970, leading the knicks to a 60-22 record and the #1 ranked SRS in the league. He put together season averages of 21.7 PPG, 13.9 RPG, 2 APG, 50.7 FG, 75.6% FT, 55.2% TS (+4.1% above league avg) and .227 WS/48.

From 69-73, reed would anchor a knicks defense that ranked in the top 3rd of the league for 4 seasons:

69 - 4th
70 - 1st
71 - 2nd
73 - 4th

The season after reed retired, the knicks dropped to 11th (of 18) in DRTG. His impact on that end of the floor was clear, as was the ability to lead a group of players to what’s often considered one of the best stretches of “team play” in NBA history.
penbeast0

Post#11 » by penbeast0 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:46 pm

Fundamentals21 wrote:
Alex English and Nique both come short of do-it-all guards such as Manu or Iverson in my head. Generally from a player consuming that amount of possessions, I would prefer to have better passing/team floor awareness than either 1 did. Both players were ultimately responsible for lower team ceilings as I would expect. ....

(a) Allen Iverson is a "do-it-all guard?" He didn't play good defense, created primarily for himself, did so inefficiently, all he did is shoot one heck of a lot. He's as one dimensional as any MVP in NBA history if not more so.

(b) English and Wilkins are not the same type of player when it comes to passing and floor awareness. Alex English was a very good passing forward who worked in a spread offense and could play the point forward role if needed. And many of those Denver teams had excellent offenses; the complaint is on the defensive end and most of the blame for defense goes to weak defensive centers like Dan Issel, Blair Rasmussen, and Danny Schayes. Wayne Cooper is the best rim protector the Nuggets had in his decade plus and that's not much.
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,013

Post#12 » by Owly » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:54 pm

Fundamentals21 wrote:Alex English and Nique both come short of do-it-all guards such as Manu or Iverson in my head. Generally from a player consuming that amount of possessions, I would prefer to have better passing/team floor awareness than either 1 did. Both players were ultimately responsible for lower team ceilings as I would expect. Carmelo is the closest modern day equivalent, most likely, and his game has best translated to FIBA rather than the NBA (still did perennial all star well, but never enough to merit the attention of a superstar). I'll at least give English the nod with his efficiency which wasn't so bad, and in addition to this he seemed to have the rep of an iron man, which I do value as well in rankings.

Wilkins' Hawks peaked at 7.18 SRS (59th all-time), on a team with no other "stars" (checking it, all-star wise: Kevin Willis came in as an injury replacement for Nique in '92 and they had washed up Gus Williams on the roster).

That they won almost as much with D as with O would be fair. And despite a lack "star" power, one can reasonably like the cast (peak Rivers, Spud Webb as a superb backup; a pretty good year from Kevin Willis - Levingston and Carr offering different looks, fresh bodies and pretty good play for reserve forwards - defense and role play from Koncak and Rollins, only SG really looks "weak). So I could see differing opinions on the value of Wilkins here. Still, based on what "his" team (read: a team he was on) actually did, I wouldn't necessarily accept that Wilkins offered a low ceiling.
Fundamentals21
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by Fundamentals21 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:43 pm

Owly wrote:
Fundamentals21 wrote:Alex English and Nique both come short of do-it-all guards such as Manu or Iverson in my head. Generally from a player consuming that amount of possessions, I would prefer to have better passing/team floor awareness than either 1 did. Both players were ultimately responsible for lower team ceilings as I would expect. Carmelo is the closest modern day equivalent, most likely, and his game has best translated to FIBA rather than the NBA (still did perennial all star well, but never enough to merit the attention of a superstar). I'll at least give English the nod with his efficiency which wasn't so bad, and in addition to this he seemed to have the rep of an iron man, which I do value as well in rankings.

Wilkins' Hawks peaked at 7.18 SRS (59th all-time), on a team with no other "stars" (checking it, all-star wise: Kevin Willis came in as an injury replacement for Nique in '92 and they had washed up Gus Williams on the roster).

That they won almost as much with D as with O would be fair. And despite a lack "star" power, one can reasonably like the cast (peak Rivers, Spud Webb as a superb backup; a pretty good year from Kevin Willis - Levingston and Carr offering different looks, fresh bodies and pretty good play for reserve forwards - defense and role play from Koncak and Rollins, only SG really looks "weak). So I could see differing opinions on the value of Wilkins here. Still, based on what "his" team (read: a team he was on) actually did, I wouldn't necessarily accept that Wilkins offered a low ceiling.

Well, to clarify lower ceiling was lower ceiling in comparison to other superstar peers. This is an interesting enough detail to give me some pause. 51 teams have above 8 SRS. Amongst the ones below that... most still do have superstars. Only exceptions are the Larry Nance/Price Cavs, Love/Walker Bulls or 2012 Thibodeau Bulls. However, I'll hand it to you - it's still higher than the 09 or 02 Laker title teams.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#14 » by trex_8063 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:29 am

penbeast0 wrote:
Fundamentals21 wrote:
Alex English and Nique both come short of do-it-all guards such as Manu or Iverson in my head. Generally from a player consuming that amount of possessions, I would prefer to have better passing/team floor awareness than either 1 did. Both players were ultimately responsible for lower team ceilings as I would expect. ....

(a) Allen Iverson is a "do-it-all guard?" He didn't play good defense, created primarily for himself, did so inefficiently, all he did is shoot one heck of a lot. He's as one dimensional as any MVP in NBA history if not more so.

See, I think you're being somewhat unfair to Iverson, particularly within the context of who we're comparing him to at this point in the project. I mean, you're probably right he's about as one-dimensional as any MVP has been (with the possible exception of Derrick Rose), but there aren't many MVP's left on the table (and pretty much all of the other ones have significantly worse longevity).
He's not particularly one-dimensional compared to many of the guys on the table presently, though.

I think you undercredit him as a playmaker, for one. I know apg does not = playmaking ability......but this is someone who averaged >7 apg FIVE SEPARATE SEASONS (FOUR of those while saddled with casts that have some difficulty putting it in the hoop). That doesn't happen for someone who isn't a decent passer/playmaker.
Defensively his biggest fault was probably his size (fighting thru screens and/or providing meaningful contest on shots from taller opponents), though he's usually giving decent effort and has the quickness to stay in front of opponents. Although he gambled some, he did lead the league in spg three consecutive seasons, too. Impact metrics pretty much never have him worse than a small negative on the defensive end (occasionally a marginal positive).
He didn't turn the ball over much for all he accounted for offensively.
He did break down defenses in a way that seems to have enabled offensive rebounders.

I suspect we'll never see eye-to-eye on this character, but really only the last of the above points is even remotely conjecture (though is kinda suggested by the data, too).

Not to turn this back to him yet again, but Adrian Dantley is as one-dimensional as ANY player who could reasonably get consideration here. He did ONE thing well: score (and he did that very well). But he wasn't a noteworthy playmaker, rebounder, defensive player, didn't have a particularly good turnover economy, and [seemingly] didn't have a style of play that nurtured offensive flow for his teammates.

I know you're no longer supporting Dantley for this spot, but jsia.....there's possibly a touch of a dichotomy in criticizing Iverson as one-dimensional while supporting Dantley ahead of him.

penbeast0 wrote:(b) English and Wilkins are not the same type of player when it comes to passing and floor awareness. Alex English was a very good passing forward who worked in a spread offense and could play the point forward role if needed. And many of those Denver teams had excellent offenses; the complaint is on the defensive end and most of the blame for defense goes to weak defensive centers like Dan Issel, Blair Rasmussen, and Danny Schayes. Wayne Cooper is the best rim protector the Nuggets had in his decade plus and that's not much.

My 2c....
I don't disagree with the notion that English was a decent offensive anchor. I just don't understand denying that Wilkins was one as well. I noted in the last thread that English anchored an amazing (+7.4 rORTG) offense and another elite (+5.0 rORTG).......but he did it while having not one but TWO other fantastic scorers in Kiki Vandeweghe and Dan Issel, while also having a capable offensive player like Billy McKinney and a lot of depth. His next best was a +3.9 rORTG (with the same basic cast, + a prime David Thompson).
Wilkins anchored +4.9 rORTG with the other starters being post-prime Moses Malone, Kevin Willis, a backcourt of Spud Webb and Doc Rivers, and a primary bench of John Battle and Cliff Levingston.
He anchored a +4.4 rORTG team with post-prime Moses Malone and Cliff Levingston starting the frontcourt with him, Reggie Theus and Doc Rivers starting the backcourt, and primary bench of John Battle, Jon Koncak, Antoine Carr, and Spud Webb.
And he anchored a +4.3 rORTG with Kevin Willis and Tree Rollins starting in the frontcourt with him, Doc Rivers and Randy Whitman starting the backcourt, and a primary bench of Cliff Levingston and Jon Koncak.

I'm not definitively saying that's better than what English managed; but how is that worse?

trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#15 » by trex_8063 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:35 am

Thru post #14:

Willis Reed - 2 (Clyde Frazier, fundamentals21)
Bob Lanier - 1 (trex_8063)
Alex English - 1 (penbeast0)
James Harden - 1 (pandrade83)

This thread goes to runoff in a little less than 24 hours guys.

Spoiler:
eminence wrote:.

penbeast0 wrote:.

Clyde Frazier wrote:.

PaulieWal wrote:.

Colbinii wrote:.

Texas Chuck wrote:.

drza wrote:.

Dr Spaceman wrote:.

fpliii wrote:.

euroleague wrote:.

pandrade83 wrote:.

Hornet Mania wrote:.

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:.

SactoKingsFan wrote:.

Blackmill wrote:.

JordansBulls wrote:.

RSCS3_ wrote:.

BasketballFan7 wrote:.

micahclay wrote:.

ardee wrote:.

RCM88x wrote:.

Tesla wrote:.

Joao Saraiva wrote:.

LA Bird wrote:.

MyUniBroDavis wrote:.

kayess wrote:.

2klegend wrote:.

MisterHibachi wrote:.

70sFan wrote:.

mischievous wrote:.

Doctor MJ wrote:.

Dr Positivity wrote:.

Jaivl wrote:.

Bad Gatorade wrote:.

andrewww wrote:.

colts18 wrote:.

Moonbeam wrote:.

Cyrusman122000 wrote:.

Winsome Gerbil wrote:.

Narigo wrote:.

wojoaderge wrote:.

TrueLAfan wrote:.

90sAllDecade wrote:.

Outside wrote:.

scabbarista wrote:.

janmagn wrote:.

Arman_tanzarian wrote:.

oldschooled wrote:.

Pablo Novi wrote:.

penbeast0

Post#16 » by penbeast0 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:18 am

trex_8063 wrote:...

I know you're no longer supporting Dantley for this spot, but jsia.....there's possibly a touch of a dichotomy in criticizing Iverson as one-dimensional while supporting Dantley ahead of him.

Agree with everything you say about Dantley, the difference is that Dantley (individually) is a super efficient high volume scorer, Iverson (individually) is an inefficient gunner. If you are going to be a one dimensional player, you need to be good at that one dimension. And you are right, I stopped supporting Dantley when I saw that his individual numbers didn't support even average team numbers which I think is important.

penbeast0 wrote:(b) English and Wilkins are not the same type of player when it comes to passing and floor awareness. Alex English was a very good passing forward who worked in a spread offense and could play the point forward role if needed. And many of those Denver teams had excellent offenses; the complaint is on the defensive end and most of the blame for defense goes to weak defensive centers like Dan Issel, Blair Rasmussen, and Danny Schayes. Wayne Cooper is the best rim protector the Nuggets had in his decade plus and that's not much.

My 2c....
I don't disagree with the notion that English was a decent offensive anchor. I just don't understand denying that Wilkins was one as well. I noted in the last thread that English anchored an amazing (+7.4 rORTG) offense and another elite (+5.0 rORTG).......but he did it while having not one but TWO other fantastic scorers in Kiki Vandeweghe and Dan Issel, while also having a capable offensive player like Billy McKinney and a lot of depth. His next best was a +3.9 rORTG (with the same basic cast, + a prime David Thompson).
Wilkins anchored +4.9 rORTG with the other starters being post-prime Moses Malone, Kevin Willis, a backcourt of Spud Webb and Doc Rivers, and a primary bench of John Battle and Cliff Levingston.
He anchored a +4.4 rORTG team with post-prime Moses Malone and Cliff Levingston starting the frontcourt with him, Reggie Theus and Doc Rivers starting the backcourt, and primary bench of John Battle, Jon Koncak, Antoine Carr, and Spud Webb.
And he anchored a +4.3 rORTG with Kevin Willis and Tree Rollins starting in the frontcourt with him, Doc Rivers and Randy Whitman starting the backcourt, and a primary bench of Cliff Levingston and Jon Koncak.

I'm not definitively saying that's better than what English managed; but how is that worse?

I didn't say anything (this time) about either's scoring or even their effect on team offense, my point was that the poster was lumping Wilkins and English into the category of players who didn't have much playmaking or court awareness and English, at least, was a very capable playmaker. I do think English gives you a higher ceiling with his versatility as well as more effort on defense (mainly eye test), but that wasn't the point I was responding to.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by trex_8063 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:36 pm

Thru post #16 (5 votes) :( :

Willis Reed - 2 (Clyde Frazier, fundamentals21)
Bob Lanier - 1 (trex_8063)
Alex English - 1 (penbeast0)
James Harden - 1 (pandrade83)

~12 hours left till runoff.

Spoiler:
eminence wrote:.

penbeast0 wrote:.

Clyde Frazier wrote:.

PaulieWal wrote:.

Colbinii wrote:.

Texas Chuck wrote:.

drza wrote:.

Dr Spaceman wrote:.

fpliii wrote:.

euroleague wrote:.

pandrade83 wrote:.

Hornet Mania wrote:.

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:.

SactoKingsFan wrote:.

Blackmill wrote:.

JordansBulls wrote:.

RSCS3_ wrote:.

BasketballFan7 wrote:.

micahclay wrote:.

ardee wrote:.

RCM88x wrote:.

Tesla wrote:.

Joao Saraiva wrote:.

LA Bird wrote:.

MyUniBroDavis wrote:.

kayess wrote:.

2klegend wrote:.

MisterHibachi wrote:.

70sFan wrote:.

mischievous wrote:.

Doctor MJ wrote:.

Dr Positivity wrote:.

Jaivl wrote:.

Bad Gatorade wrote:.

andrewww wrote:.

colts18 wrote:.

Moonbeam wrote:.

Cyrusman122000 wrote:.

Winsome Gerbil wrote:.

Narigo wrote:.

wojoaderge wrote:.

TrueLAfan wrote:.

90sAllDecade wrote:.

Outside wrote:.

scabbarista wrote:.

janmagn wrote:.

Arman_tanzarian wrote:.

oldschooled wrote:.

Pablo Novi wrote:.

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#18 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:02 pm

Vote Bob Lanier

Peaks high in WS/BPM/MVP, good longevity, good portability, good intangibles

2nd Manu Ginobili
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by trex_8063 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:39 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:Vote Bob Lanier

Peaks high in WS/BPM/MVP, good longevity, good portability, good intangibles

2nd Manu Ginobili

Will let it pass here, but for future reference, this is skirting [arguably the wrong side of] the line of minimum acceptable content for a counted vote.

Fundamentals21
Bench Warmer

Post#20 » by Fundamentals21 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:50 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
Fundamentals21 wrote:

(b) English and Wilkins are not the same type of player when it comes to passing and floor awareness. Alex English was a very good passing forward who worked in a spread offense and could play the point forward role if needed. And many of those Denver teams had excellent offenses; the complaint is on the defensive end and most of the blame for defense goes to weak defensive centers like Dan Issel, Blair Rasmussen, and Danny Schayes. Wayne Cooper is the best rim protector the Nuggets had in his decade plus and that's not much.

For B) I suppose I'll reconsider.

For A) I've generally thought of him that way. The 76ers were predictably dependent upon him to the point where they didn't really exist without him. He was the entire offense. It wasn't uncommon to find him playing 45-48 MPG. His 76ers routinely had him running the entire show. Just a very high level workload. I didn't have an issue with the creation as much compared to other SG's. No he was not as great as some other superstars, but maybe outside of T-Mac/Harden they've all been voted in.

If there were some statistical evidence to support he went about killing role player careers, I'd look into it. Otherwise, he did okay for a ball dominant guard. He wasn't surrounded by players who would've done considerably better in that situation. There's no non-superstar you would bring in and expect to garner the same type of results. I am not very confident even with some of the guards that have already been voted in, really. With Iverson, you likely need spacing, rebounding and defense, and this is true for any other SG superstars we witnessed in the same era.

Return to Player Comparisons