john248 wrote:.

mdonnelly1989 wrote:.

Senior wrote:.

twolves97 wrote:.

CodeBreaker wrote:.

JoeMalburg wrote:.

dhsilv2 wrote:.

iggymcfrack wrote:.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
pandrade83
Starter
And1: 604

Re: RealGM 2017 Top 100 List #55 

Post#2 » by pandrade83 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:38 pm

Have limited time so this won't be as long as some other posts - this has still held true but I'm gradually modifying it.

1st Choice: James Harden
2nd Choice: Chauncey Billups

I think everyone knows the arguments for Harden - this is a recent player so unless you're not paying attention to current basketball, you understand the case for. I'll tackle the case against instead.

Longevity - he has 7 high impact years; so there's a solid base there and his impact in Houston has been a very strong peak/prime - imo, the best left.

Defense - He sucks at this and I'm not going to try and defend it. The only thing I will say is that it's already baked into the team performance and in spite of this he was able to . . .

Lead a Team - Your supporting cast doesn't suck just because you don't play with another all-star. But Harden is the straw that stirs the drink for that team. He allows those 3 point shooters to shoot at a high rate, he allows Capela & Harrell to get the looks they get & he allowed Beverly to be Beverly last year. The team's depth is (imo) why the RAPM data looks the way it does, & I felt that the way he was able to lead the team last year & a couple years back when they made the WCF was very impressive.

Playoff performance - I ding him all time time about his game 6 v Spurs & the '12 Finals. Let's look at those runs in fuller context:
Last year he averaged 29-9-6 58% TS in the playoffs. The 5 TO per game is a bit alarming - but still - pretty strong.

Let's look at '12:

16-5-3 on 61% TS. And as bad as he was in the Finals, I think he was their 2nd best player against the Spurs in the WCF that year.

When we take into consideration the massive peak, and that he has a few years on the same order of magnitude - just not as high - I'm comfortable putting him in here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Billups: Strong playoff performer who had a big impact on winning from '03-'11. Led multiple contenders in Detroit & fueled deep playoff runs including a chip & a very close '05 Finals vs. the Spurs. When swapped for Iverson, we see Denver improve dramatically & Detroit fall off a cliff. Transformed into a true offensive anchor and anchored offenses that finished 6th or better in pts per possession from '06-'08 & when swapped for Iverson, Denver accelerates their offensive rating from 11th to 7th and then 3rd in '09. Has a higher peak than you think breaking the 15 WS mark in '06 with a WS/48 exceeding the .25 mark. A plus defensively as well as a 2 X All-D Performer. The more i look at it, the more this "feels" like the right spot for him.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,263

Post#3 » by trex_8063 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:19 pm

1st vote: Bob Lanier
2nd vote: Allen Iverson

My biggest reservation about Lanier has been his defense. I was recently watching Game 6 of the '76 WCSF (Pistons '76/Warriors)---which is a fabulous game, btw, available on YouTube---and my impression of Lanier's defense was.......that's it's sporadic. I would see some lazy defensive possessions intermingled with some brilliant defensive plays (like his two blocks in a row at the end of regulation).
However, Owly assuaged my concerns somewhat last thread with these details:

Owly wrote:Team level D might be held against him but his Drtg (hardly perfect, but I think sufficient for the point/claim being made) in '74 when he played 81 games led the league.

A concern might be that he missed quite a few games, including playing (just) less than 65 games and 2500 minutes for three of his five short prime/extended peak years ('76, '77 and '78 of '74-'78). Still for that 5 year span he looks like the 2nd or 3rd best player in the league (even after minutes are factored in) and he lasted much better than McAdoo.
cf:
The five year span in question http://bkref.com/tiny/64BQL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The 70s: http://bkref.com/tiny/0DbJe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reviews on D
The 1975 Pro Basketball Handbook from 1974 wrote:Lanier is the big difference. He played only when in the mood before last season. He concentrated more on stopping other teams from penetrating and fourth in blocked shots with 247.

[individual bio]
Called "Moses" by his teammates ... For leading them out of the wilderness ...... trimmer last season ...... Defense was his biggest improvement

The 1977 Pro Basketball Handbook from 1976 wrote:Depending on who's in there, the Pistons can make you work. When one of the "whos" is either Trapp or Howard Porter, the opponents can relax a bit. But Rowe, Ford, Mengelt, Kevin Porter, Money and Lanier will get down and play some defense. Lanier, in fact often surprises people by jumping out to pick up guards or forwards. He also clogs the middle nicely.
[individual bio]
Has become a very intimidating defensive player who, like Dave Cowens, is not afraid to switch out on unsuspecting forwards and guards.

The 1978 Pro Basketball Handbook from 1977 wrote:Somewhat confusing. Lanier is a mammoth figure to try and get around [and some other decent players but the Porters are bad and the bench "woefully weak" ... comunication and fouling called a problem, perhaps coaching semi-implied as a problem based on that?]
[individual bio]
Can rebound, block shots, play defense, do everything but clean the kitchen floor ...... [unrelated but I've touched on this] Injuries have been a problem, though, but he has always played hurt

The 1979 Pro Basketball Handbook from 1978 wrote:[Vitale will be looking to emphasize D] Lanier gives him a head start. That is the advantage of having a big center. Lanier seals off the middle and is tough and aggressive.

The 1980 Pro Basketball Handbook from 1979 wrote:[individual bio]Devensively he can be as imposing as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or Bill Walton or Artis Gilmore

Depending on how much you allow hypotheticals, you might also consider that Detroit rushed him back in his rookie year which may have been detrimental to his long term health.

I know it's subjective/anecdotal, but still better than nothing. And the guy was an outstanding offensive big.
And though I didn't quote it here to keep the length down, Owly also presented some data pertaining to Lanier's impact. I'll present my own [more coarse] findings in WOWY (with a few different means of looking at '80):

With/Without Records/Wins added per season (pro-rated to 82 games)
‘75: 39-37 (.513) with Lanier, 1-5 (.167) without him/+28.4 wins
‘76: 30-34 (.469) with Lanier, 6-12 (.333) without him/+11.1 wins
‘77: 38-26 (.594) with Lanier, 6-12 (.333) without him/+21.4 wins
‘78: 31-32 (.492) with Lanier, 7-12 (.368) without him/+10.2 wins
‘79: 21-32 (396) with Lanier, 9-20 (.310) without him/+7.1 wins
‘80 Pistons: 9-28 (.243) with Lanier, 5-12 (.294) without
‘80 Pistons overall before trade (for Kent Benson): 14-40 (.259)
‘80 Pistons after trade: 2-26 (.071)
‘80 Bucks before obtaining Lanier: 29-27 (.518)
‘80 Bucks after obtaining Lanier: 20-6 (.769) (Lanier played all 26 games)
*‘81: 48/49-18/19 with Lanier, *11/12-3/4 without him
*he actually played 67 games, but game log data only recording 66 (48-18); is possible [likely] they won they other game he played in, making the with record 49-18 (.731) and 11-4 (.733) without. Would be -0.1 wins added in that instance.
‘82: 53-21 (.716) with Lanier, 2-6 (.250) without him/+38.2 wins

The above data spans eight years, SIX different head coaches, and a fair amount of supporting cast turnover.

So one way are another, Lanier's impact appears to have been pretty consistently substantial in nature (and was so across multiple settings). And while Lanier's lack of All-NBA honors will work against him for some people, I'd caution against thinking that this means he was scarcely ever a top 5-10 player: he finished 3rd in the MVP vote in '74, 4th in '77 (POST-merger), and had TWO other top 10 finishes, and received at least slight MVP consideration in a total SEVEN seasons.

wrt Iverson:

Here's some WOWY findings from '99-'06.....
AVERAGE effect of having Iverson vs. not having him over these years:
NOT weighted for games played/missed
+7.3 ppg
+1.1% TS%
+2.3 ORtg
+4.61 SRS
WEIGHTED for games played
+7.4 ppg
+1.2% TS%
+2.5 ORtg
+4.21 SRS
Weighted for games missed
+7.1 ppg
+0.8% TS%
+1.4 ORtg
+2.90 SRS
39-59 record (.398) without, 251-193 record (.565) with (avg of +13.7 wins per 82-game season).

And again: '04 was a definitive outlier within this time period; he was playing banged up and performing well below his usual standard. If I can cherry-pick a little and remove that year from consideration.....
AVERAGE effect of having Iverson vs. not having him during '99-'02, '05 and '06:
NOT weighted for # of games played in each season
+7.8 ppg
+1.4% TS%
+3.0 ORtg
+5.49 SRS
WEIGHTED for games played
+7.7 ppg
+1.4% TS%
+3.0 ORtg
+4.81 SRS
WEIGHTED for games missed
+8.3 ppg
+1.5% TS%
+3.2 ORtg
+4.82 SRS
25-39 record (.391) without, 232-164 record (.586) with: avg of +16 wins per 82-game season.

In terms of rate metrics, Iverson often isn't quite an apples to apples comparison to some other players, due to the extreme mpg he was typically playing. Just as a few for instances, looking at best 9-year spans:

Alex English ('81-'89): 21.5 PER, .139 WS/48, +2.3 BPM in 36.6 mpg
Dominique Wilkins ('86-'94): 23.2 PER, .173 WS/48, +3.5 BPM in 37.4 mpg
Manu Ginobili ('04-'12): 22.4 PER, .222 WS/48, ~+6.4 BPM in 28.7 mpg---->just want to point out that fatigue or pacing one's self is almost never an issue in these kinds of minutes for a conditioned NBA athlete.
Allen Iverson ('98-'06): 22.1 PER, .139 WS/48, +3.7 BPM in 41.9 mpg---->fatigue would become a nightly significant issue for most players (especially while shouldering his kind of usage), which would effect their rate metrics. His rate metrics are still slightly better than those of English, and only slightly behind those of Wilkins. Significantly behind those of Manu, though again there's more than an entire quarter of play difference in their respective playing times, so it's a bit hard to make the straight up comparison.

Manu soundly trumps all in terms of impact metrics, though I'll say again: impact is not player quality. It's player quality + role/fit/circumstance......and I do think Manu got the best of the latter category among pretty much everyone else on the table at this time. I must confess to worrying about his health/longevity in other settings, too, fwiw.
Impact measures are also rate metrics, too, don't forget (again referring to his limited minute role).
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,669

Post#4 » by penbeast0 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:23 am

For modern players, there's no one I'm completely sold on. Willing to be sold though. 90s have been picked through pretty well except for the oddity that is Dennis Rodman, GOAT rebounder in regular season, but big dropoffs in the postseason or I'd probably be looking at him here.

80s, Sidney Moncrief had a short career but every time I saw him he was brutally effective, particularly defensively. Bobby Jones is another great two way player with limited time (not length of career for him but minutes per game). On the other end, Alex English and Adrian Dantley are probably the next great scorers over Nique (and King/Aguirre/Marques who didn't have the longevity even if they peaked higher). To paraphrase LA Bird, the only real argument for Nique over English is style over substance; they scored roughly equivalent amounts but English was more efficient, a clearly superior defender, and he scored them in the context of the Nuggets offense without having to have constant isos run for him. Worthy is worth a look if you are strong on playoff performances but he doesn't space the floor or playmake for anyone except himself.

60s guys, I am looking at Sam Jones, Hal Greer, Dave Debusschere, and Nate Thurmond, maybe Chet Walker. Thurmond is hurt by his offense and his team winning a title just after trading him for Cliff Ray. 70s there are a bunch of guys like Daniels, Cowens, Hayes, Reed, and McAdoo just among big men. Of these, I'd rather have Dave Cowens though the stats don't always back me up. But having watched them a lot, he had an Alonzo Mourning attitude with stretch the floor midrange shooting. 50s guys, Arizin is the best left then maybe Neil Johnston, the Amare of the 50s, whose great looking numbers overrate his impact.

Vote: Alex English
Alt: Dave Cowens (willing to switch)
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,049

Post#5 » by iggymcfrack » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:30 am

Been flip-flopping around a bit on this spot, but after looking at more different RAPM numbers and seeing he actually performs very well in a few of them, I'm picking:

Vote: Tracy McGrady

-Led the league in PER with a 30.3 in 2002/2003. This is #10 all-time for best peak PER by a player. For his career, he ranks #31 even though he played a lot of years/minutes after he was greatly reduced by injury, as well as coming into the league very, very young and having some adjustment years in his teens.

-Led the league in scoring 2 years in a row including a 32.1 PPG season in a VERY slow/defensive era. If you take this on a per-possession basis, it's #8 all-time for best peak scoring season for a player. (13th best season overall as Jordan has several on the list.)

-Even though his career was cut short by injury, he still has solid longevity as he actually played 31,000 minutes over 15 seasons. His VORP is #29 all-time.

-He's often criticized for playoff failures, but unlike my alternate choice here, his numbers actually went UP in the playoffs. His regular season averages of 20/6/4 go up to 22/6/5 in the postseason, and he goes from a 22.1 PER and 4.6 BPM to a 23.4 PER and 6.1 BPM. His playoff PER ranks 12th all-time right between Dirk and Steph Curry and his playoff BPM ranks 16th, in between David Robinson and Tim Duncan.

Alternate: James Harden

Very similar player to McGrady who's had 5 straight seasons averaging at least 25 PPG on at least a .598 TS%. Among players that average at least 20 PPG, his TS% is 4th all-time trailing only Steph Curry, Adrian Dantley, and Reggie Miller. And within that group, he and Curry are the only actual playmakers. The last couple years especially, Harden's transitioned into a role that transcends box score numbers as he's been setting up 3-point assists at rates completely unprecedented in the previous history of the game.

Harden ranks 22nd all-time in PER and 11th all time in BPM in a career substantial enough that he'll pass Willis Reed in total combined games played before we're even done with this list. He's already had a longer prime than Reed.

His impact metrics while less impressive than his box score stats are still very solid and much better than some might think. For instance, here's how he compares to Kevin Durant in RPM the last 3 years:
Harden: +4.81 (13th), +4.39 (16th), +8.78 (3rd)
Durant: +5.74 (11th), +6.48 (8th), +4.20 (24th)

Overall, I'm giving McGrady the edge since he was a little better defender, his stats didn't drop off in the playoffs, and he has more longevity, but both are incredible basketball players, and I'd take them both over a lot of perimeter players that went much earlier.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,456

Post#6 » by dhsilv2 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:40 am

Reed - MVP 2x finals MVP big man with a jumper, played in the era of short careers due to idiot pace and horrible coaching.

Iverson - If you don't love his stats and legacy....think about free throw attempts and fouls drawn on bigs.

I'll try and add more but for now these two are imo far above the guys who are getting thought who never did much.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,834

Post#7 » by Joao Saraiva » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:06 am

1st vote - Chauncey Billups

Fantastic leadership. Tremendous team success. Efficient, made the right play and proved to be very useful in two different teams (Pistons and Nuggets).

Great pace controller, clutch, not exploitable on defense as some of the guards that have been voted in so far.

2nd vote - Allen Iverson

HM to James Harden. After Westbrook he just makes sense.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,500

Post#8 » by 70sFan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:34 am

I'd like to see Arizin getting more consideration. He wasn't far from Dolph Schayes and I'd argue that his peak is on another level to any available wing. This guy was phenomenal.
LA Bird
Analyst
And1: 3,145

Post#9 » by LA Bird » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:58 am

1. Chauncey Billups
Probably the most portable point guard before Steph Curry. Didn't get much love when he was playing because people were still using FG% to measure scoring efficiency without looking at 3s and ability to draw fouls. The slow pace of the Pistons didn't help his raw averages either. Led a few top 5 level offenses with Flip Saunders as coach and continued to lead Detroit to great success even after Ben Wallace left. I don't think he deserved any All Defense selections but he is not quite as bad as where he is in DRAPM ratings either. Strong playoffs on-offs during his prime on championship contending teams in both Detroit and Denver. Great intangibles and was the inaugural winner of the NBA Teammate of the Year Award.

2. Vince Carter
Never thought Carter would end up ahead of Iverson/McGrady at the time but he stuck around and continued to climb up the rankings long after the other two are done. He passed AI in career points last season and is ahead of TMac in just about every box score statistic. Also is the best of the three in shooting efficiency and plus minus type stats.

I would consider changing the alternate vote to Thurmond/Hayes but it seems like neither are getting any votes at this point...
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#10 » by trex_8063 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:08 pm

Is anyone intrigued enough by a particular match-up among the candidates to do a comparison?

I'd done a Wilkins/English comp a thread or two ago (can re-post if anyone wants); I personally side [slightly] with Wilkins in that comparison.

I don't feel like making additional arguments against anyone's picks so far, because overall I don't feel strongly between many of the candidates. At this stage it gets to be like groupings or tiers for me; within a given grouping, I generally don't feel to strongly about one over another (they sort of occupy a floating position---I'm constantly shifting them---within that group).
For me and my criteria, there are about 6 EXCELLENT candidates [that is: candidates I'd agree most strongly with] remaining for this spot: Lanier, Iverson, Billups, Hayes, Wilkins, and McGrady.

Just a tiny step below them are another 4 "OK/Pretty good" candidates: English, Carter, Cowens, and perhaps Kevin Johnson.

Another tiny step beneath them are a handful of "slightly weak, but not bad" candidates [again: this according to my own criteria and sensibilities]: the foremost/tops among this group are probably Reed and Thurmond, but also includes McAdoo, *Harden, and perhaps Dantley and Tony Parker. *Where Harden is concerned, I get that I value longevity more than most; so I can understand how he'd be a stronger candidate to those who don't put so much emphasis on longevity.

trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by trex_8063 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:16 pm

70sFan wrote:I'd like to see Arizin getting more consideration. He wasn't far from Dolph Schayes and I'd argue that his peak is on another level to any available wing. This guy was phenomenal.

I'd agree his peak is very comparable to Schayes. Bottom line to me is that he played 10 seasons vs. Schayes's 15. Schayes has an edge of 283 rs games played, an estimate 6500-7000 more rs minutes (that difference in minutes is like 3 relatively injury-free seasons of starter level minutes). And while many of those extra minutes were not prime minutes, some were, and only for 24 games (350 minutes) of his career (his final season) was Schayes useless or ineffectual.

This far out on the list, the difference between adjacent spots is quite literally nothing; the difference between FIVE places (e.g. 50 to 55) is still paper-thin. So a longevity edge of that size (assuming other things equal--->debatable) demands ~18-28 places separation for me.....and Schayes only went in 9 spots ago.

My 2c....

pandrade83
Starter
And1: 604

Post#12 » by pandrade83 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:32 pm

trex_8063 wrote:
70sFan wrote:I'd like to see Arizin getting more consideration. He wasn't far from Dolph Schayes and I'd argue that his peak is on another level to any available wing. This guy was phenomenal.

I'd agree his peak is very comparable to Schayes. Bottom line to me is that he played 10 seasons vs. Schayes's 15. Schayes has an edge of 283 rs games played, an estimate 6500-7000 more rs minutes (that difference in minutes is like 3 relatively injury-free seasons of starter level minutes). And while many of those extra minutes were not prime minutes, some were, and only for 24 games (350 minutes) of his career (his final season) was Schayes useless or ineffectual.

This far out on the list, the difference between adjacent spots is quite literally nothing; the difference between FIVE places (e.g. 50 to 55) is still paper-thin. So a longevity edge of that size (assuming other things equal--->debatable) demands ~18-28 places separation for me.....and Schayes only went in 9 spots ago.

My 2c....

This is how I feel - except it seems like Schayes held up a little better as the game evolved. I see myself supporting Arizin around the 70-75 range?
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by trex_8063 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:02 pm

pandrade83 wrote:
trex_8063 wrote:

My 2c....

This is how I feel - except it seems like Schayes held up a little better as the game evolved. I see myself supporting Arizin around the 70-75 range?

I'm not sure if I agree Schayes held up better in an evolving league. Most people would probably argue the opposite, as Arizin has the more modern-looking game (though that's still sort of fuzzy as far as determining era portability, as I think great players will always be able to develop the skills [to some degree] required of the era they're reared in).

I mean, if we look at '55-'62, Schayes looks a little better----21.8 PER, .187 WS/48 in 36.3 mpg over those 8 years; vs Arizin who was an 18.9 PER and .173 WS/48 in 37.7 mpg in those 8 years----and Schayes does appear to have the better post-shotclock peak year, too. So maybe you're right.

However, if we narrow it toward near-prime years in which integration and other evolutions were really beginning to take off, like '60-'62: Arizin was collectively a 16.4 PER, .145 WS/48 in 36.4 mpg over those three years. Schayes was a 19.0 PER, .140 WS/48 in 34.4 mpg (caveat: I believe '62 was somewhat of an injury year for him). But that's very comparable overall. And in '62 alone, Arizin had very equivalent rate metrics as Schayes, but while playing like +9 mpg (again, though: possible injury year for Schayes). They were identical in age (like 6 weeks separating their birthdays), too.

So idk......Schayes decided to hang around for a couple of extra years after '62 (only one in which he was minimally effective) whereas Arizin retired, but I don't fully know what to make of that; maybe Arizin's ego wouldn't allow those kind of "twilight seasons".

Arizin's military service is one thing that gives me pause in how I assess his longevity, though. I never know how to consider something like that, and sometimes think I should give them a partial pass on it. idk....

Anyway, I generally agree with your placement of him, though. I tentatively have Arizin #71 on my own ATL presently.

Fundamentals21
Bench Warmer
And1: 621

Post#14 » by Fundamentals21 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:03 pm

Did the Willis Reed support die again :lol:

This is one of those threads where I've come in late and wondering if I should go with one of the mains or just continue with my support of Willis Reed forever.

Ahh screw it, I suppose the run off voting will let me decide between the chosen candidates.

Vote: Willis Reed
Alt: Allen Iverson

Main Pick: Willis Reed

I am impressed enough to give him the nod here. Only issue with Reed was longevity but that's okay. My other main considerations didn't have long primes either. Iverson fell off the cliff right away, Manu always had durability issues, Billups hit prime very late, etc.

Willis Reed is a reliable low MVP type big. He'll put up around 18/9 type numbers in modern day. Sort of like Pau Gasol. I'd say he has around 16 TRB% ball park which is on the same level. Hit the .200+ W/S mark in both playoffs and RS a couple different times in his career. 3 Top 5 MVP finishes is really good at this level, too. Maybe 1 was fluky, but the overall respect and consideration given to him wasn't. He also is one of those players that displays ability to play through injury and in the process inspire teammates to elevated play, something that a guy like Tracy McGrady wasn't capable of.

On the Knicks' first play from scrimmage Reed jumps from the top of the key and the shot goes in. "He ain't hurt," Walt Frazier says to himself, behind his muttonchop grin. Soon, though, Reed is hobbling like Chester chasing vainly after Marshall Dillon. Willis is to hit his second (and last) shot in another minute, but before that what he does at the other end of the court is even more significant. Wilt takes the ball at his spot to the left of the lane. He moves left. If he keeps going that way, can Reed stay with him? Can he shuffle fast enough or can he possibly cross over with that dragging, painful right leg? Willis stays with Wilt for a step. It is enough. Wilt goes no farther. He stops, fakes and throws the ball out. Thereafter, he goes almost exclusively sideways to the right, not driving in, just flipping his finger-rolls. Before Reed goes out with 3:05 left in the half, Wilt gets the ball 17 times in the pivot. He makes only two baskets in nine tries against the disabled Reed.

Some more cool stuff on Wilt-Reed matchups https://www.si.com/vault/1973/05/21/618334/where-theres-a-willis

Thinking of my Alt Pick, Allen Iverson.

Outside of James Harden or T-Mac's injury ridden career. this is the strongest candidate in my head. He's one of the three weak MVP's on board. Two of them I am picking here, and I'll likely throw a vote for Cowens very soon.

Went through Iverson's 76ers tenure, 00-07.

00 - Theo Ratliff/Tyrone Hill were his other options. It was a Larry Brown team, really wasn't enough to get past a quality team. I actually liked Iverson led team producing 49 Wins this season. Not necessarily impressive, but without him, this team appears to be broke. BTW, for those saying Iverson is not a creator, his supporting players do just fine on the team - McKie, Hill, Ratliff etc. were all having their best scoring years in Philly.

01- This is the legendary season, and I think outside of Harden, I don't trust too many on board to make this sort of run. It was something special. Granted with Mutombo, Snow, etc. he had great defensive support.

02 - Iverson missed a good amount of games this year, and the team faced a decent amount of missed games between McKie, Snow, Coleman, etc. Still scraped 43 Wins and lost an entertaining series to Pierce's Boston.

03 - Iverson had some decent scoring outside him for once (Van Horn) and they 76ers were made the 2nd round, but got bounced out in a tough series to Detroit. Regardless he was responsible for making the run interesting and as I noted earlier Iverson was so integral to everything that he had an average of .2 minutes rest this entire series. Van Horn was unable to deliver his ~16 point average in the RS and fell woefully short in this series.

04 - Missed playoffs. Iverson only played 48 games this season. The 2nd best scorer, Robinson, only played 42. The 76ers were a lost cause this year.

05 - The 76ers acquired C-Webb, but he only was dealing with various injuries and delivered a 95 O-Rating in the first round. This was another of those 43-39 type seasons.

06 - Iverson was surrounded by a remodeled supporting cast. C-Webb was back, but this really proved to be a bad fit with Iverson. In addition to this, Webber had turned into a horrid defender (he was a -2.4 in RAPM which was one of the worst totals in the league, David Lee level defense), and with Snow/Mutumbo gone, there was no one to make this up for this, so it ended up being a chaotic 38 W type total for the 76ers.

07/08 with Melo - I think most agreed that Iverson only helped his image here. Unfortunately his prime was on its tail end and by the Laker series in 08 he confessed in his interview that he wasn't feeling the same fire anymore.

Really analyzing his cast, players like Snow, McKie, Mutmbo, Tyrone Hill, Van Horn pretty much played up to their ability and their numbers didn't suffer a significant dip. His tenure in Denver only raised his opinion in most people's eyes and overall with the 76ers he performed around expectations. 7 years is a pretty long time to be with the 76ers management, and he certainly made the most out of what he got. Even his "good" supporting cast seasons relied on him heavily enough to play him ~48 MPG when good team matchups rolled about. Going by his team construction, I would say he never underachieved. It was always at expectations or above.

All in all I am comfortable taking him here.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#15 » by dhsilv2 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:34 pm

trex_8063 wrote:Is anyone intrigued enough by a particular match-up among the candidates to do a comparison?

I'd done a Wilkins/English comp a thread or two ago (can re-post if anyone wants); I personally side [slightly] with Wilkins in that comparison.

I don't feel like making additional arguments against anyone's picks so far, because overall I don't feel strongly between many of the candidates. At this stage it gets to be like groupings or tiers for me; within a given grouping, I generally don't feel to strongly about one over another (they sort of occupy a floating position---I'm constantly shifting them---within that group).
For me and my criteria, there are about 6 EXCELLENT candidates [that is: candidates I'd agree most strongly with] remaining for this spot: Lanier, Iverson, Billups, Hayes, Wilkins, and McGrady.

Just a tiny step below them are another 4 "OK/Pretty good" candidates: English, Carter, Cowens, and perhaps Kevin Johnson.

Another tiny step beneath them are a handful of "slightly weak, but not bad" candidates [again: this according to my own criteria and sensibilities]: the foremost/tops among this group are probably Reed and Thurmond, but also includes McAdoo, *Harden, and perhaps Dantley and Tony Parker. *Where Harden is concerned, I get that I value longevity more than most; so I can understand how he'd be a stronger candidate to those who don't put so much emphasis on longevity.

For a while now I've wanted us to vote for 5 guys, top 10 are our voting pool for a few 5 or so spots then repeat. I think we'd get a much better result.

I somewhat strongly think english is a bit early, and Tmac has issues for me as well. But neither seem horrendous.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#16 » by dhsilv2 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:36 pm

Fundamentals21 wrote:Did the Willis Reed support die again :lol:

This is one of those threads where I've come in late and wondering if I should go with one of the mains or just continue with my support of Willis Reed forever.

Outside of James Harden or T-Mac's injury ridden career. this is the strongest candidate in my head. He's one of the three weak MVP's on board. Two of them I am picking here, and I'll likely throw a vote for Cowens very soon.

I voted Reed again.

Though I think you're forgetting Rose who's still left on the board and Walton. We got 5 MVP's left! And I guess ABA guys....but I'm not going here.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by trex_8063 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:46 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
For a while now I've wanted us to vote for 5 guys, top 10 are our voting pool for a few 5 or so spots then repeat. I think we'd get a much better result.

Too much room for people to stack the deck AGAINST players they don't want to get in any time soon. Also, this method sort of leaves the sporadic participants out of the loop (if they're not present at the time the candidacy is decided, we've selected eligible candidates without them).

penbeast0
And1: 8,669

Post#18 » by penbeast0 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:17 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Fundamentals21 wrote:Did the Willis Reed support die again :lol:

I voted Reed again.

Though I think you're forgetting Rose who's still left on the board and Walton. We got 5 MVP's left! And I guess ABA guys....but I'm not going here.

I'll go there. Mel Daniels was a similar player to Reed, not as good a shooter, more ferocious rebounder, not as high a defensive IQ, in a weaker league (so I favor Reed) but with multiple MVPs and multiple titles as the best player (if not the best scorer).

Connie Hawkins was arguably the best (or at least the most talented) forward alive in the 1960s (yes, more than Baylor or Pettit). He was not allowed to play because his mother was seeing a professional gambler and the NBA was worried about their rep in the wake of the Gola/Kentucky point fixing scandals. Not in the NBA, he played a year in the ABL winning MVP over Bill Bridges and George Yardley at age 19. Then he played nothing but playground or semipro ball until the ABA started and was the first and most dominant star in the first year (MVP/Title) and a half (outplaying Rick Barry until injured). He did rehab and came to the NBA as more of a stationary shooter and less of a slasher winning 1st team All-NBA before suffering another nasty knee injury and finishing out his career as a slowed, less athletic player who could still score, pass, and rebound but couldn't move the way he used to.

Spencer Haywood and George McGinnis were both also MVPs and spectacular individual players who were also All-Pro after coming to the NBA but both had questions about their team play.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Fundamentals21
Bench Warmer
And1: 621

Post#19 » by Fundamentals21 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:28 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
I voted Reed again.

Oh yeah, technically speaking. Both fell off with injuries. I don't know if either cracks my Top 100. Will have to see.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#20 » by dhsilv2 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:34 pm

trex_8063 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Too much room for people to stack the deck AGAINST players they don't want to get in any time soon. Also, this method sort of leaves the sporadic participants out of the loop (if they're not present at the time the candidacy is decided, we've selected eligible candidates without them).

All it does it gives us a list of guys to look at for only say 5 votes. You can't really stack the deck if you get less votes than players selected. I agree there's an issue with participation, but still they can vote from the pool of 10 where we only bring in 5 and then build a new pool. And as for the pool size, we could let is vary if we don't have a clear 10 and we just vote for half as many in the pool till we're we build a new pool.

This also earlier on lets people start making cases for and against that group, which I'd *hope* would increase discussion and make comparisons easier to discuss.

The negative is I guess you'd have a feeling of where people's minds are so they could more easily vote with someone else, but at this point we can all do it now. We all know everyone's next 2 and many have hinted at their next 4-5 already. Plus I'm not sure I mind someone voting for their number 58 guy to keep their 80 guy from going this round. I think that results in a better list personally, but I'd be open to why you may think that's not the case as i'm sure you've done this before.

Return to Player Comparisons