john248 wrote:.

mdonnelly1989 wrote:.

Senior wrote:.

twolves97 wrote:.

CodeBreaker wrote:.

JoeMalburg wrote:.

dhsilv2 wrote:.

iggymcfrack wrote:.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,263

Re: RealGM 2017 Top 100 List #59 

Post#2 » by trex_8063 » Fri Nov 3, 2017 10:51 pm

1st vote: Elvin Hayes

Hayes had poor shot selection, though as I've stated for others of his era (or earlier), I feel compelled to give him a partial pass on that as an entire generation of basketballers didn't seem to recognize good shot selection. From the games I've watched, Hayes was an excellent finisher around the rim, respectable offensive rebounder, made his FT's at a respectable rate for a big man, and was a decent outlet passer in his own right during his Bullets years (overshadowed by Unseld here).
He was always a very good rebounder and defender during his prime, and let's not forget an utter ironman: missing just 9 games in 16 seasons.
Anecdotally a poor teammate, though in his defense I'll again quote Owly, who had some interesting counterpoint:

Owly wrote:
Intangiables: Not that these were "good". But the narrative may have been one-sided. Obviously some stuff, like Fitch's comments on him in regards to Sampson, seem pretty damning. Read through year by year and besides moody and grating you also see "he is by far the most civic minded of the Bullets, eager to make public appearances, many without payment" (from 1979 Complete Handbook of Pro Basketball, though that type of refrain is often repeated in the series) and he was consistently in superb shape and motivated (this is occasionally somewhat set in contrast with Unseld's apparent indifference to basketball, though obviously he gave a lot of his body, setting picks, working back from injuries) which helped allow him the longevity. There are some flattering comments from Motta, such as after his first year, saying the critics were wrong on Elvin, that he had been "easy to coach". To be clear I'm not saying he's good here (I think it may have been tough to be his teammate), just maybe not as bad as sometimes made out or, more specfically, not without positives.

His poor shot selection (and resulting mediocre shooting efficiency) hurts his WS/48 metric, and yet he's still 47th all-time in career win shares in ABA/NBA-combined history.

Some stuff on apparent impact......

In '68, the San Diego Rockets were 15-67 (dead last by a full 8 games to the next worst team) and -7.94 SRS (dead-last). They were the 12th-rated (of 12) team offensively and 10th of 12 defensively.

In '69 they lose Dave Gambee, John Barnhill, Jon McGlocklin, and an aging Johnny Green. Only noteworthy new acquisitions are rookies Rick Adelman and Elvin Hayes (same coach and everything).......they improve by 22 games (to 37-45) and 7.64 SRS pts (to -0.30, 7th of 14). Their ORtg improves by 2.2 relative to the league (now 12th of 14, as apposed to dead-last). DRtg improves by 4.7 relative to league (now 3rd of 14).
Admittedly, they never would quite get over mediocrity during Hayes's four seasons there; but that's a heck of jump from the extreme basement of the league (which I think they can mostly thank Hayes for).

In '72, the Baltimore Bullets---who had Wes Unseld, Archie Clark, Phil Chenier, and Jack Marin (all basically healthy and in their primes), along with at least a couple decent role players in Dave Stallworth and Mike Riordan----went 38-44, -1.26 SRS (10th of 17). They were 10th of 17 offensively, 9th of 17 defensively.

In '73, they still have all of the above characters (basically all healthy except Archie Clark who misses 43 games), same coach, too; only real noteworthy new acquisitions are rookie Kevin Porter (would only play 17.1 mpg his rookie season), and Elvin Hayes........they improve by 14 games to 52-30 and by 4.1 SRS pts to +2.84 (7th of 17). In ORtg, although their league rank fell from 10th to 12th of 17, they actually did improve by 0.9 relative to the league average. In DRtg, they improved by 3.2 relative to league (finishing 5th of 17).

Two years later they would be in the NBA finals. Three years after that they would win the title. Hayes would lead the league in playoff WS during that title run: 20.3 PER and .169 WS/48 in playoffs that year (20.7 ppg/11.9 rpg/1.6 spg/2.0 bpg @ .509 TS% in the finals).

Although I've voiced some concerns over methodology, Hayes rates very well in Elgee's WOWY studies, too (regressed career value of +3.8, iirc).

In short, I think we're past [perhaps well-past] the point where his negatives remove him from valid candidacy.

2nd vote: Dominique Wilkins

Nique is another who gets ho-hummed out of contention on the basis of pedestrian shooting efficiency. I'm going to suggest that his style (which was not long on holding the ball, and frequently attacked the rim and put pressure on the defense to rotate, etc) is the sort which can have value which is difficult to quantify.
I think one potential way is in offensive rebounding: not only perhaps occasionally in the manner that Allen Iverson can boost team ORtg (by getting shots up on the rim after he's forced the defense to rotate/help/collapse), but also by banging the glass himself (Nique has one of the best offensive rebounding rates among SF's). The Hawks were top 5 in the league in OREB% in SEVEN of Nique's nine prime seasons (full or partial) with them---top 3 three times---and were NEVER below average. One of their two worst years in this span (10th/27 in the league) was in the year where Nique missed almost half the season with injury. They were 4th/27 in '94 (when Nique was with them for about 60% of the season); fell to 14th/27 the next year without him.

He also had a VERY small turnover rate (even in light of his relatively scant playmaking). Later in his prime, he's also got the floor-spacing box checked.

The team offensive results (with him as the consistent centerpiece) were consistently excellent during Nique's prime:

Atlanta Hawks rORtg and league rank during Nique’s prime
‘86: +0.7 rORTG (11th/23)
‘87: +4.3 rORTG (4th/23)
‘88: +3.3 rORTG (5th/23)
‘89: +4.4 rORTG (4th/25)
‘90: +4.9 rORTG (4th/27)
‘91: +3.0 rORTG (8th/27)
‘92 (Nique misses 40 games): -0.9 rORTG (16th/27)
*Important to note Nique missed 40 games this^^^ year. They were +0.8 rORTG in the 42 games he played, -2.6 rORTG in the 40 he missed.
‘93: +1.3 rORTG (10th/27)
‘94 (Nique traded late season): +0.9 rORTG (12th/27)

And I want to point out who his primary supporting cast was, in descending order of playing time, for that 5-year stretch in which they were >+3.0 rORTG each year.....
'87: Kevin Willis, Doc Rivers, Randy Whitman, Cliff Levingston, Tree Rollins, Jon Koncak
'88: Doc Rivers, Randy Whitman, Cliff Levingston, Kevin Willis, Tree Rollins, Antoine Carr, Spud Webb, John Battle
'89: [late prime/early post-prime] Moses Malone, Reggie Theus, Doc Rivers, Cliff Levingston, John Battle, Jon Koncak, Antoine Carr, Spud Webb
'90: Moses Malone (post-prime), Kevin Willis, Spud Webb, Cliff Levingston, Doc Rivers, John Battle
'91: Doc Rivers, Kevin Willis, Spud Webb, Jon Koncak, Moses Malone (35 yrs old, very post-prime), John Battle

Here is some more general WOWY records:
Dominique Wilkins with/without records in prime
‘86: 49-29 (.628) with, 1-3 (.250) without
‘87: 56-23 (.709) with, 1-2 (.333) without
‘88: 48-30 (.615) with, 2-2 (.500) without
‘89: 51-29 (.638) with, 1-1 (.500) without
‘90: 39-41 (.488) with, 2-0 without
‘91: 43-38 (.531) with, 0-1 without
‘92: 22-20 (.524) with, 16-24 (.400) without
‘93: 39-32 (.549) with, 4-7 (.364) without
‘94: 42-32 (.568) with, 4-5 (.444) without

I don't have time to provide more right now, but will try to come back to this.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,484

Post#3 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 12:11 am

I'm open to changing both of these.

Vote Cowens - last remaining MVP who doesn't give me pause. Longevity is not great, but it's reasonable. Multiple top 5 MVP finishes, high character and intangibles. Plus a quality defender. Was considered the best player on a title team and was close with Hondo for another. I don't feel great with this one, but my general voting logic tells me I should consider Cowens.

Alt Dominique Wilkins

Much like my view on Iverson guys who can cut to the basket and get to the rim, can have higher value in spacing than we generally think. Again Wade showed this in his off ball abilities even late in his career. I feel Iverson when he rarely wasn't on ball had a similar effect. Wilkins game should lend itself to this. Trex already brought up the higher offensive rebound rate potential. The final value is he was another high free throw guy.

Hayes seems like the next choice, Sam Jones needs more attention, and still not loving him this early but harden should start to get consideration. Thurmond is also on the radar. Of course English will get consideration once Wilkins goes in, but I might consider Carter over him.

For super old guys, Arzin and Heinsohn need to consideration but I haven't had time to dig in, and those celtrics teams were so hard to judge.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,675

Post#4 » by penbeast0 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 12:19 am

Vote Alex English
Alt Dave Cowens

Alex English v. James Harden and Tracy McGrady.

There comes a time when you have to give a player credit for being an outstanding reliable player who gives you good effort every day and that every day is every day for over a decade. This is English, it is not either James Harden or Tracy McGrady.

All were good scorers, Harden and TMac peaked higher in terms of volume but in short peaks where they dominated the ball to an extreme degree. English had no year where he matched the sheer volume of Harden's 17 season or TMac's 03 but he was a consistent high volume scorer averaging almost 25ppg for a full decade. And, he did it within the confines of a spread, passing offense similar to what Golden State has had such success with.

And, in addition to English's highly efficient, high scoring, consistent offense that he produced for himself, he produced career years for a number of other players around him. Not just Lever and Issel (accounting for ABA/NBA differential) but Michael Adams was a marginal reserve when he came to Denver, playing in an offense that let him spam threes. Kiki Vandeweghe and Calvin Natt, two very different combo forwards, had career years playing next to English because he was able to provide the post up interior scoring that Vandeweghe lacked and the range to spread the floor that Natt lacked (when I saw Natt, he was most comfortable as an Adrian Dantley type post up combo forward). The Nuggests could play TR Dunn (think Andre Roberson with less range and more rebounding), they got career years out of journeymen centers like Wayne Cooper and Danny Schayes, very different stylistic centers. How? (a) an offense that spread the wealth and allowed each player to do what they did best and (b) English's ability to adapt different roles to cover the areas of the offense that those players were less adept at and still produce efficient offenses. I'm not implying that this is a Shaq effect case where English had gravity that warped defenses; but that his versatility extends his value beyond his admittedly outstanding numbers.

Further, English was one of the players universally acknowledged as a great teammate. He won the Walter Kennedy award for citizenship. In addition to his offense, he gave consistent effort on defense as well. Compare that to Harden, practically a byword for lazy defense in today's NBA, TMac, known for lazy practice habits and inconsistency that matched his brilliance, they are more in the Allen Iverson mode. I admire what Harden has accomplished (and actually love his ability to draw fouls as well as shoot threes, a great combination) but cringe every time I see him dog it on defense. Tmac had all the tools to be a top 20 player in NBA history but what bothered me about him is that he would only seem to be fully engaged and playing his best when his best teammates like Yao (or for his one truly great year, Grant Hill) were injured. Then he would suddenly turn himself into superman and carry his team singlehandedly but he never really seemed to get the whole team concept. English did; and made himself the consumate team player . . . outscoring the likes of Larry Bird, Dominique Wilkins, or James Worthy for the decade of the 80s while remaining unselfish and as close to ego free as any superstar I have ever seen. He deserves to be in before Harden (at least at this point in Harden's career) and Tmac.

I see Nique is getting support again. Compared to English, Nique has a slight advantage in volume and rebounding, English is more efficient and much the better playmaker. English also was a decent defender while Nique was voted least interested in playing defense in the league in a Sporting News poll of his fellow players. Nique was far more spectacular but a vote for Nique over English to me is a vote for style over substance.

Cowens was not as big or physically intimidating as Thurmond or Hayes but he is the one of the three I would take first. All three were considered outstanding defenders . . . Thurmond and Hayes better shotblockers, Cowens better at defending out on the floor or after switches. Cowens was easily the best passer of the three and also shows consistently better range. Plus, Cowens has very high reported intangibles unlike Hayes; his teams outperformed their talent (depending on what you think of Havlicek/Barry as a 1st option) unlike Thurmond.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#5 » by JordansBulls » Sat Nov 4, 2017 2:00 am

Vote: Dominique Wilkins (Led the league in scoring, finished 2nd to peak Bird in MVP voting, won 2 dunk contests, one of the greatest scorers of all time and a top 3 player several years in the league.

2nd Vote: Tracy Mcgrady
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by trex_8063 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 2:37 am

Outside wrote:.

I think it was you (though I could be wrong) who had gone on about the effect of spring-loaded rims on shooting percentages......not that I didn't believe it previously, but if I hadn't, Jeremy Lamb just made a shot that would make me a believer. Never seen such a forgiving rim.

pandrade83
Starter
And1: 604

Post#7 » by pandrade83 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 5:06 am

1st Choice: James Harden
2nd Choice: Tracy McGrady

Harden's starting to turn into Reed in the way he's lost a couple run-offs in a row. He's arguably the highest non-Walton peak left.

I think everyone knows the arguments for Harden - this is a recent player so unless you're not paying attention to current basketball, you understand the case for. I'll tackle the case against instead.

Longevity - he has 7 high impact years; so there's a solid base there and his impact in Houston has been a very strong peak/prime - imo, the best left.

Defense - He sucks at this and I'm not going to try and defend it. The only thing I will say is that it's already baked into the team performance and in spite of this he was able to . . .

Lead a Team - Your supporting cast doesn't suck just because you don't play with another all-star. But Harden is the straw that stirs the drink for that team. He allows those 3 point shooters to shoot at a high rate, he allows Capela & Harrell to get the looks they get & he allowed Beverly to be Beverly last year. The team's depth is (imo) why the RAPM data looks the way it does, & I felt that the way he was able to lead the team last year & a couple years back when they made the WCF was very impressive.

Playoff performance - I ding him all time time about his game 6 v Spurs & the '12 Finals. Let's look at those runs in fuller context:
Last year he averaged 29-9-6 58% TS in the playoffs. The 5 TO per game is a bit alarming - but still - pretty strong.

Let's look at '12:

16-5-3 on 61% TS. And as bad as he was in the Finals, I think he was their 2nd best player against the Spurs in the WCF that year.

When we take into consideration the massive peak, and that he has a few years on the same order of magnitude - just not as high - I'm comfortable putting him in here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The arguments for are pretty straight forward - the massive peak, the outstanding 8 year run, leading league in OBPM twice, etc.

The elephant in the room - the only reason he's not in right now is the first round thing.

Here's what his playoff #'s look like during his Orlando/Houston time:

30-7-6. I know the TS% isn't ideal (52%) but still - look at that again. Were some of the series winnable? Of course. That's why he's not in the Top 50. But it's time. With 30-7-6, it's time to give him a real look.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#8 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 12:01 pm

Seeing the quote of Harden having the best non Walkton Peak, thought I'd take a look. Since WS is really our best long term stat I just took that in.

best RS left is Bob Feerick, don't see anyone from the 40's getting in, and his guys' career was too short.
Next is Neil Johnston who I would think should get consideration, but likely not here.
Alex Grozal has the next 2 spots and had he not been banned for life, maybe he would get considerations.
Next is Bob McAdoo who has 2 really standout WS years.
Now we get to 2015 Harden.

Other names of note in this group are Tmac, and Arzin who should be consideration for best peak left as well.

Switching to WS/48 and knocking out sub 1000 minute seasons.

Larry Foust
Kawhi Leonard (who if we're talking peaks, I think has a case against Harden here)
Anthony Davis
Vern Mikkelsen
Chet Waler
Multiple Niel Johnston years
Harden
Tmac
Amar'e
Arzin

Interestingly enough Gobert scores out really highly here and just ahead of McAdoo. Surprised on this but 96 Terrell Brandon and that ultra slow paced cavs offense score really highly on this list.

Dantley scores 28th on this list as his best performance. English's best is 732nd of those remaining. Wilkins is 192nd.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,836

Post#9 » by Joao Saraiva » Sat Nov 4, 2017 1:30 pm

1st vote - Adrian Dantley

Fantastic scorer, one of the best ever in the game. He was also a good rebounder.

I think some people go against him because when he got out from the Pistons they finally won, but I don't think that's something that should go against him.

He played well for the Jazz and took us to the playoffs. He was a better franchise player than Pete Maravich and we actually never underachieved because of him.

With the Pistons... well, the Lakers definitely lost a step after Dantley left, so that has something to do with going from losing to winning.

Has he got some flaws as a player? Definitely. Defense wasn't positive but also not trash, sometimes he could stop the ball too. But he had many ups in his game too. Footwork was excellent, he did shoot really well too and crashed the boards pretty well.

I think he gets underrated due to some lack of more team success.

2nd vote - Vince Carter
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
pandrade83
Starter

Post#10 » by pandrade83 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 3:24 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:Seeing the quote of Harden having the best non Walkton Peak, thought I'd take a look. Since WS is really our best long term stat I just took that in.

best RS left is Bob Feerick, don't see anyone from the 40's getting in, and his guys' career was too short.
Next is Neil Johnston who I would think should get consideration, but likely not here.
Alex Grozal has the next 2 spots and had he not been banned for life, maybe he would get considerations.

Other names of note in this group are Tmac, and Arzin who should be consideration for best peak left as well.

Larry Foust
Kawhi Leonard (who if we're talking peaks, I think has a case against Harden here)
Anthony Davis
Vern Mikkelsen
Chet Waler
Harden
Tmac
Amar'e
Arzin

Interestingly enough Gobert scores out really highly here and just ahead of McAdoo. Surprised on this but 96 Terrell Brandon and that ultra slow paced cavs offense score really highly on this list.

Dantley scores 28th on this list as his best performance. English's best is 732nd of those remaining. Wilkins is 192nd.

I think Kawhi is debateable for sure as is AD; I don't think the rest are after adjusting for strength of era.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,505

Post#11 » by 70sFan » Sat Nov 4, 2017 3:26 pm

pandrade83 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:Seeing the quote of Harden having the best non Walkton Peak, thought I'd take a look. Since WS is really our best long term stat I just took that in.

Larry Foust
Anthony Davis
Vern Mikkelsen
Chet Waler
Harden
Tmac
Amar'e
Arzin

I think Kawhi is debateable for sure as is AD; I don't think the rest are after adjusting for strength of era.

Arizin is not debatable but Kawhi is with 3 prime seasons?
pandrade83
Starter

Post#12 » by pandrade83 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 4:16 pm

70sFan wrote:
pandrade83 wrote:

Larry Foust
Anthony Davis
Vern Mikkelsen
Chet Waler
Harden
Tmac
Amar'e
Arzin

I was strictly talking peaks which is part of the argument for Harden - wasn't thinking overall.
feyki
Veteran
And1: 447

Post#13 » by feyki » Sat Nov 4, 2017 4:22 pm

How could be Mutombo and Billups higher than Lanier? It's just overlooking.
“The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe that you might block every shot.”
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,013

Post#14 » by Owly » Sat Nov 4, 2017 6:22 pm

trex_8063 wrote:

I think it was you (though I could be wrong) who had gone on about the effect of spring-loaded rims on shooting percentages......not that I didn't believe it previously, but if I hadn't, Jeremy Lamb just made a shot that would make me a believer. Never seen such a forgiving rim.

Hmmm ...

Wouldn't this have caused a spike in free-throw percentages at the point of transition?

Free throw percentages at a league level have held fairly constant around 75%, from say '56 onwards (with some dips arguably attributable to Chamberlain and O'Neal).

So far as I can tell the major league-wide alteration was the introduction of the breakaway rim, which seems to have been universal at the start of the 1981-82 season. Here free-throw percentage drops very slightly.

I could buy rims being less standardised, less consistent in the 40s and into the 50s (especially as the BAA absorbed a lot of NBL teams). Still, I think I'd need evidence pointing to a specific point or period of transition and what was changed (and an explanation why free throw percentage didn't) for anything beyond that.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,304

Post#15 » by Clyde Frazier » Sat Nov 4, 2017 7:18 pm

Vote 1 - Adrian Dantley

Vote 2 - Elvin Hayes

As I took a closer look at english vs. dantley, english had a slightly longer prime and better durability. However, dantley still had a substantial prime in his own right, and his 29.6 PPG on 63.2% TS and .205 WS/48 from 80-86 is pretty staggering. He was also a better playoff performer in similar sample size. I admittedly came away more impressed with english’s skill set as a scorer (just more fluid and gervin-esque in my opinion), but you can’t argue with results, either.

One other point of reference: as a rookie in 77, dantley scored 20.3 PPG on 60.1% TS. The league average TS% that season was 51.1%.

I then look at the controversy with dantley leaving DET and them winning the championship following his departure, and it seems overblown. Dantley’s averages in the 88 finals (loss) are as follows:

21.3 PPG, 5 RPG, 2.3 APG, .6 SPG, 57.3% FG, 85.6% FT, 67.6% TS, 127 ORTG

Games 6 and 7 of the 88 finals were decided by a total of 4 points, and this was with a substandard game 7 by the injured isiah thomas. If he’s healthy, they very well could’ve won the title that year. I don’t hold the turn of events against dantley all that much relative to general perception.

Some great research here by Moonbeam on Dantley and other star SFs of the 80s:

Moonbeam wrote:I love looking at these guys because most of my favorite players are small forwards, and it was such an exciting time to watch, as these guys were each capable of amazing offensive outbursts.

Spoiler:
One thing I've taken a hard look at is how to weigh up offensive statistics in the context of team offense. There has been a fair bit of discussion in the Top 100 poll about how to gauge individual performance based on team performance (e.g. Garnett's Minny teams did not generally excel on defense, how to compare Kidd's team offenses to Payton's given teammate quality), so I tried to come up with a rough model of expectations for team offense.

I used offensive win shares as the basis for this analysis. I know many aren't happy with OWS, but on a team-level, it is very strongly correlated with offensive rating, which is a good measure of overall team offensive performance. I looked at all regular season data from 1977-2014 to come up with a set of aging curves to encompass different types of peak shapes. I've used five different levels of peak sharpness and five different peak ages (21, 24, 27, 30, and 33), which makes it possible to model a player's career based on OWS/48, like this:

This is a very simple approach, but I wanted something specific enough to broadly capture the relationship between offensive production and aging, but not too specific as to produce perfect models - I'm interested in the deviations from expectations, after all, so I'm happy with a bit of noise. :)

Based on these curves of expected OWS/48, I then looked at team offense relative to expectations as judged by total OWS. I'm still looking to road-test this analysis, so if you know of any instances where you felt a team overachieved or underachieved its talent level, I'd be eager to check it against my model!

I parsed out performance relative to expectations for each of these players plus Larry Bird (in >28 MPG seasons) and their respective teammates as a whole. Why 28 MPG? I wanted to include enough seasons to get a big picture view, plus I wanted to avoid discontinuities where I could (e.g. Bernard King's 1988 season). Here are the resulting plots of player OWS, player expected OWS, teammate ("help") OWS and expected teammate OWS:

Over this span, here are the MP-weighted averages for player OWS, % of team OWS, both rate and raw difference of help OWS to expectations:

Code: Select all

Player   WtOWS   %Off  Help Rate  Help Diff
Aguirre  5.112  0.166    1.018      +0.428
Bird     7.429  0.220    1.048      +1.056
Dantley  8.803  0.394    0.844      -2.155
English  6.536  0.246    1.016      +0.307
Johnson  5.954  0.253    1.040      +0.636
King     4.466  0.269    0.887      -1.413
Wilkins  6.084  0.255    1.015      +0.260
Worthy   5.065  0.155    1.116      +2.809

On the surface, it looks like Dantley (and to a lesser extent, King) may be getting their Win Shares somewhat at the expense of teammates, while Bird and Worthy are associated with boosts for their teammates. How much praise (or blame) should be apportioned for performance of teammates is up for debate, but I think it at least provides a framework for comparison.

Taking a look at the 5-year intervals in the OP:

Code: Select all

Player  Years   WtOWS   %Off  Help Rate  Help Diff
Aguirre 84-88   5.920  0.187    1.041      +1.005
Bird    84-88   9.933  0.302    0.989      -0.257
Dantley 80-84  11.213  0.553    1.083      +0.606
English 82-86   7.849  0.268    1.026      +0.548
Johnson 79-83   7.192  0.275    1.057      +0.984
King    81-85   6.675  0.323    0.919      -1.268
Wilkins 86-90   7.835  0.270    1.158      +2.891
Worthy  86-90   6.465  0.180    1.181      +4.496

Dantley is clearly the leader in both OWS and percentage of team offense (some of those supporting casts in Utah look dreadful), but perhaps he didn't provide the "lift" as others (or worse, perhaps his presence deflated his teammates offense). If we split his career into phases, it seems his early career is where his teammates fared the worst (0.731 rate, fit issues with Lakers?), while in Utah they performed nearly to (awful) expectations (0.968 rate), while in Detroit during 87-88, the rate fell to 0.801 (problems of fit with Isiah?), and across 89-90, it was 0.935.

I don't think Worthy's help numbers are attributable to him so much as they are to Magic, but he clearly fit into Showtime quite well. Wilkins looks like he could have provided decent lift across 86-90, and Aguirre's apparent issues with teammates did not seem to affect his teams' offenses.

I've got H2H stats I can post later, but I thought I'd put this out there as it's a fascinating comparison for me. :)

Entire discussion here:

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=41264223#p41264223
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#16 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 7:59 pm

pandrade83 wrote:
70sFan wrote:
pandrade83 wrote:

I was strictly talking peaks which is part of the argument for Harden - wasn't thinking overall.

McAdoo and Johnston I think have real peak debates over Harden. Adjusting for era is certainly a challenge, especially when Johnston. Similarly I'm not sure why 03 Tmac is not right there with 15 Harden either.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#17 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Nov 4, 2017 8:11 pm

Vote Vince Carter

Carter has strong peak by advanced stats (leads league in OBPM) and is a portable fit with other players due to shooting, passing. Quality longevity. If just going by regular season value Harden may be ahead but his game appears to be easier to guar din the playoffs.

2nd: Dave Cowens
penbeast0
And1: 8,675

Post#18 » by penbeast0 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 8:54 pm

feyki wrote:How could be Mutombo and Billups higher than Lanier? It's just overlooking.
defense? era?
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
pandrade83
Starter

Post#19 » by pandrade83 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 9:01 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
pandrade83 wrote:
70sFan wrote:

McAdoo and Johnston I think have real peak debates over Harden. Adjusting for era is certainly a challenge, especially when Johnston. Similarly I'm not sure why 03 Tmac is not right there with 15 Harden either.

Tmac should be there - oversight on my part; he is my alternate candidate right now though so it's not like I've forgotten about him completely. Taking Harden/Tmac over McAdoo due to era that McAdoo peaked in (pre-merger 70's).
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#20 » by trex_8063 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 9:07 pm

Owly wrote:
trex_8063 wrote:

Hmmm ...

Wouldn't this have caused a spike in free-throw percentages at the point of transition?

Free throw percentages at a league level have held fairly constant around 75%, from say '56 onwards (with some dips arguably attributable to Chamberlain and O'Neal).

So far as I can tell the major league-wide alteration was the introduction of the breakaway rim, which seems to have been universal at the start of the 1981-82 season. Here free-throw percentage drops very slightly.

I was only being half-serious with that comment.
But anyway, good point. We should, theoretically, see a spike (or some manner of upward trend) upon their induction. Though fwiw, looking at league avg FT% isn't the best means of scrutinizing FT shooting, as it doesn't take into account WHO is doing the shooting. Suppose we have two leagues, and each league is only 10 players (to simplify):
In League 1, all ten players shoot 70% from the FT-line.
In League 2, two players shoot 40%, two players shoot 50%, four players shoot 60%, one player shoots 80%, and one shoots 90%.....but the guys shooting 40-60% only took 10 FTA each, while the guys shooting 80/90 took 50 FTA each.

In these examples, the league avg (as you're citing it) for League 2 would look marginally better at 70.6%, vs 70% for League 1.

But if we simply were looking at the average among the ten individuals (each weighted equally), League 2's avg is 59%; the median avg of League 2 would be 60% (meanwhile both are obviously 70% for League 1).

I'd done a study some months back looking at the year-by-year median FT% for three different groups---PG/SG/(SF), (SF)/PF, and C (and subsequently made a scaled FT% model from it).
Anyway, based on those position-specific FT%, I can say that FT% have not been stable since the late 50's, fwiw; though within the context of this discussion it proves nothing wrt breakaway rims (would more suggest they have no effect, actually), as there's no sudden improvement upon their induction.

Return to Player Comparisons