54. Manu Ginobili
55. Chauncey Billups
56. Willis Reed
57. Bob Lanier
58. Allen Iverson
59. Adrian Dantley
60. Dave Cowens
61. ????

Cowens snuck in there for #60, who will be next?....

Spoiler:
eminence wrote:.

penbeast0 wrote:.

Clyde Frazier wrote:.

PaulieWal wrote:.

Colbinii wrote:.

Texas Chuck wrote:.

drza wrote:.

Dr Spaceman wrote:.

fpliii wrote:.

euroleague wrote:.

pandrade83 wrote:.

Hornet Mania wrote:.

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:.

SactoKingsFan wrote:.

Blackmill wrote:.

JordansBulls wrote:.

RSCS3_ wrote:.

BasketballFan7 wrote:.

micahclay wrote:.

ardee wrote:.

RCM88x wrote:.

Tesla wrote:.

Joao Saraiva wrote:.

LA Bird wrote:.

MyUniBroDavis wrote:.

kayess wrote:.

2klegend wrote:.

MisterHibachi wrote:.

70sFan wrote:.

mischievous wrote:.

Doctor MJ wrote:.

Dr Positivity wrote:.

Jaivl wrote:.

Bad Gatorade wrote:.

andrewww wrote:.

Moonbeam wrote:.

Cyrusman122000 wrote:.

Winsome Gerbil wrote:.

Narigo wrote:.

wojoaderge wrote:.

TrueLAfan wrote:.

90sAllDecade wrote:.

Outside wrote:.

scabbarista wrote:.

janmagn wrote:.

Arman_tanzarian wrote:.

oldschooled wrote:.

Pablo Novi wrote:.

john248 wrote:.

mdonnelly1989 wrote:.

Senior wrote:.

twolves97 wrote:.

CodeBreaker wrote:.

JoeMalburg wrote:.

dhsilv2 wrote:.

iggymcfrack wrote:.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,263

Re: RealGM 2017 Top 100 List #61 

Post#2 » by trex_8063 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:49 pm

(same as previous thread, but with a few edits/additions)

1st vote: Elvin Hayes

Hayes had poor shot selection, though as I've stated for others of his era (or earlier), I feel compelled to give him a partial pass on that as his entire generation of basketballers didn't seem to recognize good shot selection.
From the games I've watched, Hayes was an excellent finisher around the rim, respectable offensive rebounder, made his FT's at a respectable rate for a big man, and was a decent outlet passer in his own right during his Bullets years (overshadowed by Unseld here).
He was always a very good rebounder and defender during his prime, and let's not forget an utter ironman: missing just 9 games in 16 seasons.
Anecdotally a poor teammate, though Owly provided some anecdotal counterpoint, suggesting Hayes may have been more misunderstood than anything:

Owly wrote:
Intangiables: Not that these were "good". But the narrative may have been one-sided. Obviously some stuff, like Fitch's comments on him in regards to Sampson, seem pretty damning. Read through year by year and besides moody and grating you also see "he is by far the most civic minded of the Bullets, eager to make public appearances, many without payment" (from 1979 Complete Handbook of Pro Basketball, though that type of refrain is often repeated in the series) and he was consistently in superb shape and motivated (this is occasionally somewhat set in contrast with Unseld's apparent indifference to basketball, though obviously he gave a lot of his body, setting picks, working back from injuries) which helped allow him the longevity. There are some flattering comments from Motta, such as after his first year, saying the critics were wrong on Elvin, that he had been "easy to coach". To be clear I'm not saying he's good here (I think it may have been tough to be his teammate), just maybe not as bad as sometimes made out or, more specfically, not without positives.

His poor shot selection (and resulting mediocre shooting efficiency) hurts his WS/48 more than any other rate metric we have, and yet he's still 47th all-time in career win shares in ABA/NBA-combined history.

Some stuff on apparent impact......
In '68, the San Diego Rockets were 15-67 (dead last by a full 8 games to the next worst team) and -7.94 SRS (dead-last). They were the 12th-rated (of 12) team offensively and 10th of 12 defensively.

In '69 they lose Dave Gambee, John Barnhill, Jon McGlocklin, and an aging Johnny Green. Only noteworthy new acquisitions are rookies Rick Adelman and Elvin Hayes (same coach and everything).......they improve by 22 games (to 37-45) and 7.64 SRS pts (to -0.30, 7th of 14). Their ORtg improves by 2.2 relative to the league (now 12th of 14, as apposed to dead-last). DRtg improves by 4.7 relative to league (now 3rd of 14).
Admittedly, they never would quite get over mediocrity during Hayes's four seasons there; but that's a heck of jump from the extreme basement of the league (which I think they can mostly thank Hayes for).

In '72, the Baltimore Bullets---who had Wes Unseld, Archie Clark, Phil Chenier, and Jack Marin (all basically healthy and in their primes), along with at least a couple decent role players in Dave Stallworth and Mike Riordan----went 38-44, -1.26 SRS (10th of 17). They were 10th of 17 offensively, 9th of 17 defensively.

In '73, they still have all of the above characters (basically all healthy except Archie Clark who misses 43 games), same coach, too; only real noteworthy new acquisitions are rookie Kevin Porter (would only play 17.1 mpg his rookie season), and Elvin Hayes........they improve by 14 games to 52-30 and by 4.1 SRS pts to +2.84 (7th of 17). In ORtg, although their league rank fell from 10th to 12th of 17, they actually did improve by 0.9 relative to the league average. In DRtg, they improved by 3.2 relative to league (finishing 5th of 17).

Two years later they would be in the NBA finals. Three years after that they would win the title. Hayes would lead the league in playoff WS during that title run: 20.3 PER and .169 WS/48 in playoffs that year (20.7 ppg/11.9 rpg/1.6 spg/2.0 bpg @ .509 TS% in the finals).

And although I've voiced some concerns over methodology, Hayes rates very well in Elgee's WOWY studies, too (regressed career value of +3.8, iirc).

In short, I think we're past [perhaps well-past] the point where his negatives remove him from valid candidacy.

2nd vote: Dominique Wilkins

Nique is another who gets ho-hummed out of contention on the basis of pedestrian shooting efficiency. I'm going to suggest that his style (which was not long on holding the ball, and frequently attacked the rim and put pressure on the defense to rotate, etc) is the sort which can have value which is difficult to quantify.
I think one potential way is in offensive rebounding: not only perhaps occasionally in the manner that Allen Iverson can boost team ORtg (by getting shots up on the rim after he's forced the defense to rotate/help/collapse), but also by banging the glass himself (Nique has one of the best offensive rebounding rates among SF's). The Hawks were top 5 in the league in OREB% in SEVEN of Nique's nine prime seasons (full or partial) with them---top 3 three times---and were NEVER below average. One of their two worst years in this span (10th/27 in the league) was in the year where Nique missed almost half the season with injury. They were 4th/27 in '94 (when Nique was with them for about 60% of the season); fell to 14th/27 the next year without him.

He also had a VERY small turnover rate (even in light of his relatively scant playmaking). Later in his prime, he's also got the floor-spacing box checked. As mentioned above, he attacked defenses, forced a certain degree of collapse or rotation, which can help teammates out (more so if he were a better playmaker, it's true, but I still think this has benefit, again perhaps especially on the offensive rebounding).
Otherwise, from a purely individual level, he scored A LOT of points at a little bit above average efficiency, and he did a fair bit of that unassisted. I know everyone says "meh" to taking that many shots on that kind of efficiency, but when you look at some of the supporting casts below, I ask you: "who should be taking those shots?"

And one can hardly argue with the team offensive results (again: especially in light of the supporting casts some years; see below).
The team offensive results (with Nique as the consistent centerpiece) were consistently excellent during his prime:

Atlanta Hawks rORtg and league rank during Nique’s prime
‘86: +0.7 rORTG (11th/23)
‘87: +4.3 rORTG (4th/23)
‘88: +3.3 rORTG (5th/23)
‘89: +4.4 rORTG (4th/25)
‘90: +4.9 rORTG (4th/27)
‘91: +3.0 rORTG (8th/27)
‘92: -0.9 rORTG (16th/27)*
*Important to note Nique missed 40 games this^^^ year. They were +0.8 rORTG in the 42 games he played, -2.6 rORTG in the 40 he missed.
‘93: +1.3 rORTG (10th/27)
‘94 (Nique traded late season): +0.9 rORTG (12th/27)

And I want to point out who his primary supporting cast was, in descending order of playing time, for that 5-year stretch in which they were >+3.0 rORTG each year.....
'87: Kevin Willis, Doc Rivers, Randy Whitman, Cliff Levingston, Tree Rollins, Jon Koncak
'88: Doc Rivers, Randy Whitman, Cliff Levingston, Kevin Willis, Tree Rollins, Antoine Carr, Spud Webb, John Battle
'89: [late prime/early post-prime] Moses Malone, Reggie Theus, Doc Rivers, Cliff Levingston, John Battle, Jon Koncak, Antoine Carr, Spud Webb
'90: Moses Malone (post-prime), Kevin Willis, Spud Webb, Cliff Levingston, Doc Rivers, John Battle
'91: Doc Rivers, Kevin Willis, Spud Webb, Jon Koncak, Moses Malone (35 yrs old, very post-prime), John Battle

Here are some general WOWY records:
Dominique Wilkins with/without records in prime
‘86: 49-29 (.628) with, 1-3 (.250) without
‘87: 56-23 (.709) with, 1-2 (.333) without
‘88: 48-30 (.615) with, 2-2 (.500) without
‘89: 51-29 (.638) with, 1-1 (.500) without
‘90: 39-41 (.488) with, 2-0 without
‘91: 43-38 (.531) with, 0-1 without
‘92: 22-20 (.524) with, 16-24 (.400) without
‘93: 39-32 (.549) with, 4-7 (.364) without
‘94: 42-32 (.568) with, 4-5 (.444) without

This is still muddy, but trends are definitely emerging in the above data.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,669

Post#3 » by penbeast0 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:49 pm

Vote Alex English
Alt:

Alex English v. James Harden and Tracy McGrady.

There comes a time when you have to give a player credit for being an outstanding reliable player who gives you good effort every day and that every day is every day for over a decade. This is English, it is not either James Harden or Tracy McGrady. There will come a time very soon where Harden's greater offensive dominance passes English's longevity and consistency or when the Beard steps up and takes over a playoff and this will no longer be close but for me, it's not yet.

All were good scorers, Harden and TMac peaked higher in terms of volume but in short peaks where they dominated the ball to an extreme degree. English had no year where he matched the sheer volume of Harden's 17 season or TMac's 03 but he was a consistent high volume scorer averaging almost 25ppg for a full decade. And, he did it within the confines of a spread, passing offense similar to what Golden State has had such success with.

And, in addition to English's highly efficient, high scoring, consistent offense that he produced for himself, he produced career years for a number of other players around him. Not just Lever and Issel (accounting for ABA/NBA differential) but Michael Adams was a marginal reserve when he came to Denver, playing in an offense that let him spam threes. Kiki Vandeweghe and Calvin Natt, two very different combo forwards, had career years playing next to English because he was able to provide the post up interior scoring that Vandeweghe lacked and the range to spread the floor that Natt lacked (when I saw Natt, he was most comfortable as an Adrian Dantley type post up combo forward). The Nuggests could play TR Dunn (think Andre Roberson with less range and more rebounding), they got career years out of journeymen centers like Wayne Cooper and Danny Schayes, very different stylistic centers. How? (a) an offense that spread the wealth and allowed each player to do what they did best and (b) English's ability to adapt different roles to cover the areas of the offense that those players were less adept at and still produce efficient offenses. I'm not implying that this is a Shaq effect case where English had gravity that warped defenses; but that his versatility extends his value beyond his admittedly outstanding numbers.

Further, English was one of the players universally acknowledged as a great teammate. He won the Walter Kennedy award for citizenship. In addition to his offense, he gave consistent effort on defense as well. Compare that to Harden, practically a byword for lazy defense in today's NBA, TMac, known for lazy practice habits and inconsistency that matched his brilliance, they are more in the Allen Iverson mode. I admire what Harden has accomplished (and actually love his ability to draw fouls as well as shoot threes, a great combination) but cringe every time I see him dog it on defense. Tmac had all the tools to be a top 20 player in NBA history but what bothered me about him is that he would only seem to be fully engaged and playing his best when his best teammates like Yao (or for his one truly great year, Grant Hill) were injured. Then he would suddenly turn himself into superman and carry his team singlehandedly but he never really seemed to get the whole team concept. English did; and made himself the consumate team player . . . outscoring the likes of Larry Bird, Dominique Wilkins, or James Worthy for the decade of the 80s while remaining unselfish and as close to ego free as any superstar I have ever seen. He deserves to be in before Harden (at least at this point in Harden's career) and Tmac.

Alex English v. Dominique Wilkins
I see Nique is getting support again. Compared to English, Nique has a slight advantage in volume and rebounding, English is more efficient and much the better playmaker. English also was a decent defender while Nique was voted least interested in playing defense in the league in a Sporting News poll of his fellow players. Having watched them a lot, I was always far more impressed with English.

While both Harden and TMac get run down for their playoff results, Nique was easily the worst of the bunch in the playoffs. English and Tmac have nice numbers, Harden's are inconsistent, Wilkins is one of the all-time greats with serious fall off, particularly in efficiency, when it comes to the playoffs. This might be expected, since his isolation heavy game can more easily be defensed than English's quick attack within the parameters of a spread offense or Harden's heavy 3 point range based scoring. But it is a definite question mark for Nique.

Alternative

Hmmm, Sam Jones, Nate Thurmond, Elvin Hayes, Dominique Wilkins, Sidney Moncrief, Carter, Tmac, and Harden. OF that group, Moncrief is my favorite though his window is so friggin short, but he basically took a similarly talented Milwaukee team farther than Nique ever took Atlanta even beating Bird's Celtics superteam before running into the fo fo fo Sixers. Hayes at the other end is missing the efficiency and intangibles that make Sid so special but his longevity is almost Karl Malone level and he DID take the Bullets to their only championship in their long history of mediocrity. Willing to listen.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4 » by trex_8063 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:10 pm

penbeast0 wrote:

Alt: Adrian Dantley

Ahem, Dantley was voted in #59.

Thanks

Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,834

Post#5 » by Joao Saraiva » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:45 am

1st vote Vince Carter - legit 1st option, good longevity, prime and peak. Adapted himself well to other roles, and even right now he's still a good veteran presence in the NBA.

2nd vote James Harden
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
pandrade83
Starter
And1: 604

Post#6 » by pandrade83 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:26 pm

1st Choice: James Harden
2nd Choice: Tracy McGrady

Harden's starting to turn into Reed in the way he's lost a couple run-offs in a row. He's arguably the highest non-Walton peak left.

I think everyone knows the arguments for Harden - this is a recent player so unless you're not paying attention to current basketball, you understand the case for. I'll tackle the case against instead.

Longevity - he has 7 high impact years; so there's a solid base there and his impact in Houston has been a very strong peak/prime - imo, the best left.

Defense - He sucks at this and I'm not going to try and defend it. The only thing I will say is that it's already baked into the team performance and in spite of this he was able to . . .

Lead a Team - Your supporting cast doesn't suck just because you don't play with another all-star. But Harden is the straw that stirs the drink for that team. He allows those 3 point shooters to shoot at a high rate, he allows Capela & Harrell to get the looks they get & he allowed Beverly to be Beverly last year. The team's depth is (imo) why the RAPM data looks the way it does, & I felt that the way he was able to lead the team last year & a couple years back when they made the WCF was very impressive.

Playoff performance - I ding him all time time about his game 6 v Spurs & the '12 Finals. Let's look at those runs in fuller context:
Last year he averaged 29-9-6 58% TS in the playoffs. The 5 TO per game is a bit alarming - but still - pretty strong.

Let's look at '12:

16-5-3 on 61% TS. And as bad as he was in the Finals, I think he was their 2nd best player against the Spurs in the WCF that year.

When we take into consideration the massive peak, and that he has a few years on the same order of magnitude - just not as high - I'm comfortable putting him in here. He has many years that are much better than several other players being nominated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The arguments for are pretty straight forward - the massive peak, the outstanding 8 year run, leading league in OBPM twice, etc.

The elephant in the room - the only reason he's not in right now is the first round thing.

Here's what his playoff #'s look like during his Orlando/Houston time:

30-7-6. I know the TS% isn't ideal (52%) but still - look at that again. Were some of the series winnable? Of course. That's why he's not in the Top 50. But it's time. With 30-7-6, it's time to give him a real look.
LA Bird
Analyst
And1: 3,145

Post#7 » by LA Bird » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:45 pm

1. Vince Carter
Carter has a clear longevity advantage against McGrady and Harden who peaked higher. Against volume scorers with similar longevity, Carter's 3pt shot spaces the floor better and he is a better passer than Wilkins, a better defensive player than Iverson.
A great all round player who wasn't far off from Pierce (who was voted in 15 places ago BTW) during their primes. Somewhat questionable intangibles early on especially in how he left Toronto but turned into a great teammate towards the end of his career. FWIW, I have Carter ranked as 2nd best sixth man in the league in his first season off the bench with the Mavs and it's not often you see a star of his caliber transition into a bench role this successfully.

2. Nate Thurmond
Disappointed to see Thurmond dropping below both Reed and Cowens. He probably would have been voted in by now if he didn't peak in the same year as Wilt and won a MVP.

Adding something new for Carter since I've been reposting the same votes for a while....

Number of seasons with net on/off above 10 (since 1994)
12 Garnett
9 James
8 Carter <--- Only 2 of these seasons in NJ and Kidd was traded halfway through one of them
7 Nowitzki
6 O'Neal, Malone, Paul, Blaylock, Kidd
5 Curry, Duncan, Nash, Stockton
4 Bryant, Pierce, Mutombo

Carter's cumulative career stats (122 WS, 54 VORP) are among the best of the candidates left. He has a great 8 season prime (25/5/4 on +1% TS relative to league average), significant longevity and elite plus minus numbers to show his high impact throughout his career.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by trex_8063 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:26 pm

Sorry I haven't contributed more in this one. Been quite busy; hopefully late tonight or tomorrow morning I can inject some more conversation. Anyway.....

Thru post #7:

Vince Carter - 2 (LABird, Joao Saraiva)
James Harden - 1 (pandrade83)
Elvin Hayes - 1 (trex_8063)
Alex English - 1 (penbeast0)

About 21-22 hours left before this one goes to runoff.

btw penbeast0, still waiting on your alternate pick; let me know when you decide. Might I suggest Elvin Hayes? :D
Seriously, if you haven't already read the section of my vote post on him, give it a quick read. Without being too wordy, I think it paints a fairly compelling case for him (especially given we're beyond the top 60 here). It even speaks directly to the main criticisms you have of him (shooting efficiency and intangibles) at various points within that section of text.

Spoiler:
eminence wrote:.

penbeast0 wrote:.

Clyde Frazier wrote:.

PaulieWal wrote:.

Colbinii wrote:.

Texas Chuck wrote:.

drza wrote:.

Dr Spaceman wrote:.

fpliii wrote:.

euroleague wrote:.

pandrade83 wrote:.

Hornet Mania wrote:.

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:.

SactoKingsFan wrote:.

Blackmill wrote:.

JordansBulls wrote:.

RSCS3_ wrote:.

BasketballFan7 wrote:.

micahclay wrote:.

ardee wrote:.

RCM88x wrote:.

Tesla wrote:.

Joao Saraiva wrote:.

LA Bird wrote:.

MyUniBroDavis wrote:.

kayess wrote:.

2klegend wrote:.

MisterHibachi wrote:.

70sFan wrote:.

mischievous wrote:.

Doctor MJ wrote:.

Dr Positivity wrote:.

Jaivl wrote:.

Bad Gatorade wrote:.

andrewww wrote:.

Moonbeam wrote:.

Cyrusman122000 wrote:.

Winsome Gerbil wrote:.

Narigo wrote:.

wojoaderge wrote:.

TrueLAfan wrote:.

90sAllDecade wrote:.

Outside wrote:.

scabbarista wrote:.

janmagn wrote:.

Arman_tanzarian wrote:.

oldschooled wrote:.

Pablo Novi wrote:.

john248 wrote:.

mdonnelly1989 wrote:.

Senior wrote:.

twolves97 wrote:.

CodeBreaker wrote:.

JoeMalburg wrote:.

dhsilv2 wrote:.

iggymcfrack wrote:.

dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,456

Post#9 » by dhsilv2 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:06 am

Vote McGrady.
Alt Wilkins

At this point I think a number of players are perfectly fine in this spot. For me Hayes, Harden, Thurmond, Jones, Arizin, and McAdoo all seem like reasonable picks.

McGrady's 7 all nba's and 03 peak really for me put him a hair over Wilkins who was also a 7 time all nba guy himself. I just saw McGrady as the more complete player of the two which gives him the nod here.

On wilkins one thing I've never understood was why he went and played in greece in 96, he was still putting up good numbers and then itally in 98. I feel like those two years could easily sway me.

that said McGrady checks out strongly in VORP and doesn't lose out by enough on WS for me to feel like he's out of place here.
penbeast0

Post#10 » by penbeast0 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:07 am

trex_8063 wrote:...

btw penbeast0, still waiting on your alternate pick; let me know when you decide. Might I suggest Elvin Hayes? :D
Seriously, if you haven't already read the section of my vote post on him, give it a quick read. Without being too wordy, I think it paints a fairly compelling case for him (especially given we're beyond the top 60 here). It even speaks directly to the main criticisms you have of him (shooting efficiency and intangibles) at various points within that section of text.

Go ahead and make the case for Hayes over Thurmond (and for that matter Mel Daniels!), I'm still listening.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,201

Post#11 » by Outside » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:31 am

Copying from the last thread, to get my vote in.

Vote: Nate Thurmond

Alternate: Elvin Hayes

I was pleased to see that in The Undefeated's recent redo of the top 50 players in NBA history, Nate still made the cut.

http://theundefeated.com/features/nba-50-greatest-players-remix/?addata=espn:frontpage

Thurmond went to the finals twice, losing to two of the greatest teams in league history.

With Wilt in his rookie season, the Warriors lost to a Celtics team that Russell considered the best of his teams -- they won the 6th of 8 consecutive titles that season, Havlicek had arrived, Sam Jones and Tom Heinsohn were at their peak, and they had defensive specialists KC Jones and Tom Sanders and sixth man Frank Ramsay. Thurmond played out of position at power forward in order to accommodate Wilt, but even as a rookie, he still averaged a double-double of 11 points and 13 rebounds in the finals.

His second trip to the finals was in 1967 against Wilt's Sixers, a team that set the record for wins that season. In the finals against Wilt, Thurmond averaged 14.2 points and 26.7 rebounds going against Wilt, who averaged 17.7 points and 28.5 rebounds. They took the Sixers to six games.

Thurmond was second to Wilt in MVP voting that season, ahead of Russell, Oscar, and teammate Rick Barry, who averaged 35.6 PPG.

I've brought up Thurmond's Cleveland jersey retirement on multiple occasions because it demonstrates how impactful he was as a leader and teammate. He played in Cleveland for less than two seasons, only 114 games, which is the shortest tenure of any player who has had his jersey retired by an NBA franchise. He was at the end of his career, and his statistics were a shadow of his former production -- 18.7 minutes, 5.0 points, 6.3 rebounds. Yet he was so important in being a leader for that team, teaching a young franchise how to win, that he became the first Cleveland Cavalier to have his jersey retired.

Nate Thurmond, one of the greatest defenders, rebounders, shot blockers, leaders, and teammates to ever play the game.
LA Bird
Analyst
And1: 3,145

Post#12 » by LA Bird » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:53 am

penbeast0 wrote:

Go ahead and make the case for Hayes over Thurmond (and for that matter Mel Daniels!), I'm still listening.

If you are looking at ABA bigs, shouldn't Dan Issel be ahead of Mel Daniels? Not only did he play in the later period when the ABA was stronger and more comparable to the NBA, Issel also went on to play multiple seasons in the NBA after the merger. Daniels' career ended before the merger when he was only 30 years old and his career longevity is only like half of Issel's.

Also, may I suggest Vince Carter for the alternate vote? Alex English is your #1 vote and Carter is the closest player to him if you are looking for an all-rounded scorer with great longevity.
penbeast0

Post#13 » by penbeast0 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:43 pm

Dan Issel isn't close to Daniels in terms of impact. Issel was a scorer (clearly better than Daniels) but a weak defender and only an average or below average rebounder. In Denver, they used to anticipate replacing him at center (letting him move to PF, not to get rid of him) every year. Daniels was a two time MVP, a warrior, rebounder, and plus defender with a very solid offensive game who led the Pacers to 3 ABA titles, though McGinnis was the featured star on the 3rd one. Basically Daniels was Alonzo Mourning with more rebounding, less shotblocking, in a much weaker league with stronger support.
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,049

Post#14 » by iggymcfrack » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:44 pm

Vote: McGrady
Alternate: Harden

Don't like copy/pasting, but don't feel like writing too long of a case here either. Basically, both have played unprecedentedly dominant offensive basketball in a very tough era. T-Mac has the 19th best single-season PER of all-time. Anyone else with a Top 69 season is already in except for Anthony Davis (for obvious reasons). And I'll always take a few years of elite production over being a very good player that didn't quite make it to that level (*cough* Vince Carter *cough). With T-Mac, you're not even missing much on the longevity as he played at a very high level for a number of years. Alex English also seems like a poor man's version of any of those 3. Look at MVP shares, all-NBA teams, PER, almost any way you compare it, McGrady and Harden are clearly ahead.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#15 » by trex_8063 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:46 pm

penbeast0 wrote:

Hayes vs Daniels
Daniels appears the better rebounder (statistically).
Statistically (via pts/100 and rTS%), Daniels appears the slightly better scorer......though he appears (based on the partial career data we have for Hayes) to have a worse turnover rate, too (with neither being a relevant playmaker). So from a purely statistical standpoint it appears pretty much a wash offensively.
Defensively, I figure you'll rate Daniels the better defensive anchor. I don't necessarily disagree, though I think it's debatable. It's certainly close enough that it would be disingenuous to use hyperbolic phrases like "much better" or "not close" or similar.

Though as this is primarily a statistical comparison, there's perhaps a grain of salt needed when looking at Daniels numbers, because they were achieved in a less competitive league: not just because Daniels played in the ABA, but in particular because 1)
much of his prime (and ALL of his best years) occurred in the early ABA (can quibble about parity between the NBA and ABA during the later years of the ABA's existence; but in the first 3-4 seasons of the ABA, it was quite clearly the less competitive league). And 2) Hayes' career (even some of his best seasons) continued WELL INTO the post-merger NBA--->clearly the most competitive circumstance in either of their respective careers.

I know you'll cite the intangible arguments in Daniel's favour, and probably rightly so. In Hayes' defense, I'll again refer to the Owly quote in my above vote post to suggest that perhaps Hayes' poor reputation on this front isn't entirely warranted.

Overall, I think Hayes and Daniels are somewhat similar player types and similar overall quality (you can point out Daniels' two MVP's, but I can point out that Hayes [despite poor popularity] TWICE finished as high as 3rd in the MVP vote, three times in the top 5, and did so against a significantly more competitive field).
I'd probably give Daniels the small edge as a player at their respective bests, but it is just that: small (possibly even splitting hairs).

Now let's take a moment to scrutinize just how long they provided their services.....
Daniels' entire career was just over 8 seasons, 639 rs games, 22,466 rs minutes (about 6 seasons, 479 rs games, and 18,155 minutes of that were in his prime).
Hayes' career was 16 seasons, 1303 rs games, 50,000 rs minutes (11 seasons, 897 rs games, and 37,558 minutes of that in his prime).

So in essence, Hayes = Daniels (or at least fairly close), but for LITERALLY twice as long. To me, that [quite easily] settles it. Any edge Daniels has as a player----if he has any at all [there's room to debate that]----is not large enough to overcome that fact that Hayes [again: LITERALLY] gives you twice as long a prime and twice as long a career.

Hayes vs Thurmond
This one is closer, but here goes.....
For however much you criticize Hayes on his shooting efficiency, Thurmond would warrant even more criticism on this front. Below is Thurmond's rTS and fga/36 by year....

rTS% and FGA/36 min by year
‘64: -6.19% on 10.1
‘65: -2.33% on 14.1
‘66: -3.22% on 13.9
‘67: -1.30% on 13.9
‘68: -3.16% on 15.1
‘69: -3.37% on 15.6
‘70: -2.80% on 15.5
‘71: +0.05% on 15.1
‘72: -1.26% on 15.6
‘73: +0.07% on 12.2
‘74: -2.39% on 10.1
‘75: -9.91% on 9.0
‘76: -6.17% on 8.7
‘77: -5.27% on 8.9

Note he has just two season (out of 14) above league average--->and both of those are above by <0.1%. He's otherwise got just two other seasons where he even manages better than -2% rTS, and then a spectrum down to as bad as nearly -10% rTS (and always on ~9 fga/36 or more; several years >15 fga/36).

I'll note again that among the advanced box-based rate metrics we have (PER, WS/48, and BPM), WS/48 is [by far] the one most influenced by individual shooting efficiency. And yet in career rs WS, Hayes ranks #47 all-time in NBA/ABA history........Thurmond ranks #161.

Thurmond is almost undoubtedly the better defensive anchor; by how large a margin is what is debatable. Thurmond looks fantastic in WOWY studies. And though I utilize WOWY data for older era players (where better metrics like RAPM are unavailable), I still take it with a grain of salt (as it's quite noisy). Guys like Jack Marin and Bill Cartwright rate out as all-time great superstars in Elgee's regressed WOWY scores, for example. But yes, Thurmond does look brilliant in these studies (as I noted in post #2 itt, Hayes looks very good, too, fwiw).

And once again there's the longevity/durability/consistency edge for Hayes:
Thurmond's career is 14 seasons, 964 rs games, 35,881 rs minutes (his prime is 10 seasons, 681 rs games, 28,769 minutes).
Elvin's again was 16 seasons, 1303 rs games, 50,000 rs minutes (11 seasons, 897 rs games, and 37,558 minutes of that in his prime).

So ultimately I leave it to you to decide for yourself and your own sensibilities if Thurmond's edge as a defensive anchor is enough to outweigh his abysmal shooting efficiency and significantly lesser longevity in this comparison. EDIT: I'd also note that---with a greater portion of his career [and prime] coming in the post-merger NBA---Hayes' collective career was likely in a marginally more competitive era.

penbeast0

Post#16 » by penbeast0 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:55 pm

Actually, I think Hayes was slightly the better defensive anchor than Daniels though Daniels was the better man defender. I have Daniels significantly better offensively (I'm a big efficiency believer for volume scorers particularly), but certainly understand both the short career and weaker league arguments. I actually may have Moncrief ahead of him. But I thought he should be at least looked at with 2 MVPs and 3 championships to attest to his abilities.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#17 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:01 pm

Vote Vince Carter - Good combination of slashing, shooting, passing skills and stats. Better longevity than Harden. Solid role player career. Harden has some issues translating in the playoffs.

2nd: James Harden
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#18 » by trex_8063 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:32 pm

penbeast0 wrote:I have Daniels significantly better offensively (I'm a big efficiency believer for volume scorers particularly),

For completeness on the topic.....

Here are Daniel's pts/100 possessions and rTS% by year (league avg volume is going to hover in the vicinity of 20 pts/100, btw):
'68: 26.4 @ -3.66%
'69: 26.8 @ +0.83%
'70: 23.0 @ +0.89%
'71: 24.1 @ +3.61%
'72: 22.1 @ +2.80%
'73: 20.5 @ +0.24%
'74: 22.0 @ -2.58%
'75: 20.4 @ -4.00%
('77 [11 NBA games]: 14.3 @ -7.85%)

Career Avg rTS% (Method 1: adding the year-by-year's and finding the mean, weighting '77 at 1/7th value): -0.38%
Career Avg rTS% (Method 2: his career TS% vs the collective league avg of years involved---'77 again weighted at 1/7th value): -0.28%

Here are the same numbers for Hayes by year:
'69: 24.4 @ -0.80%
'70: 23.6 @ -1.92%
'71: 26.2 @ -3.24%
'72: 24.9 @ -3.31%
'73: 22.65 @ -2.06%
'74: 21.7 @ -4.57%
'75: 24.6 @ -0.62%
'76: 24.5 @ -0.28%
'77: 26.2 @ +3.29%
'78: 21.9 @ -2.61%
'79: 26.0 @ -0.70%
'80: 27.3 @ -3.88%
'81: 23.0 @ -5.13%
'82: 21.5 @ -2.59%
'83: 21.3 @ -1.68%
'84: 18.5 @ -9.32%

Career Avg rTS% (Method 1): -2.46%
Career Avg rTS% (Method 2): -2.48%

So for careers, avg scoring volume very similar in terms of pts/100 possessions (maybe slightest marginal edge to Hayes)----Hayes also playing larger mpg load, fwiw----and an avg efficiency edge for Daniels of just over 2% in terms of rTS%.
Ast/100 are nearly identical.
Turnover rate appears to favor Hayes:

mTOV% = TO/[TO + TSA + (2 * Ast)+ (0.04 * Reb)]

Daniels rs mTOV% ('68-'75): 11.85%
Hayes rs mTOV% ('78-'84--->mostly post-prime, when this number tends to worsen for most players): 10.58%

Perhaps semantics, but speaking for myself, I'd be reluctant to declare that an edge of ~2.1-2.2% rTS, but on slightly lesser volume and with a higher turnover rate, AND in a less competitive league constitutes a "significant" edge offensively.

Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,274

Post#19 » by Clyde Frazier » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:35 pm

Vote 1 - Elvin Hayes
Vote 2 - Alex English

Hayes had unbelievable durability: in his 16 seasons in the league, he played in 80+ games in every season, missing a total of 9 games.

REG SEASON 69-79
23.7 PPG, 14.5 RPG, 2 APG, 1 SPG, 2.5 BPG, 45% FG, 67% FT, 49% TS, .130 WS/48

PLAYOFFS 69-79
23.2 PPG, 13.1 RPG, 1.9 APG, 1.2 SPG, 2.6 BPG, 47% FG, 65.3% FT, 50.6% TS, .143 WS/48

While he wasn't a very efficient scorer in his prime, he wasn't abysmal, either. From 69-79, his TS% of 49% was slightly below the league avg of 50.6% during that span. He also shot better in the playoffs at a 50.6% TS clip. I will still take a player's ability to score at ~average efficiency over a player who can't score at all. He used his above average athleticism on both ends of the floor to his advantage, and helped the bullets to 3 finals runs including a championship in 78.

He also had a good case for finals MVP in 78. Per writer Dave Heeren:

Remember the Elvin Hayes incident? During the 1978 playoffs, the Championship series between Washington and Seattle reached the seventh game. Rick Barry, whose Golden State team had not qualified for the playoffs that year, was announcing that game and doing his usual candid job. He pointed out that one of the referees had a short temper and that he was especially apt to make hasty foul calls against Hayes, whom he did not like because Hayes did a lot of complaining about his calls. Hayes, who had been the series' outstanding player to that point, picked up his fourth foul during the third quarter and argued before going to the bench. The same official whistled him for his fifth and sixth fouls in quick succession after he reentered the game early in the fourth quarter. Replays showed that Hayes had not committed either of the fouls. On one of them there had been no physical contact at all.

But Hayes was out of the game, and a vindictive referee could have deprived Washington of a league championship becaus the Bullets were ahead by 8 or 10 points when Hayes went out. Paced by Bob Dandridge, the Bullets did hold on to win. But Hayes was deprived of an award he wanted and deserved. Since he had not played during the closing minutes of the championship game, the championship series MVP trophy was given to Wes Unseld. Unseld, then in the twilight of his career, had produced little offense for the Bullets and had been victimized by Seattle center Marvin Webster for 30 points, or a basket more or less, in the final game.

There's talk about attitude problems with hayes, but that largely seemed to be off the court-related, and that doesn't matter to me unless it affects on the court performance.

However, once he came the Bullets, he instantly seemed to mesh with the team, both on and off the court. Combining with Wes Unseld to anchor a potent double post offense that dominated on the boards, Hayes' arrival allowed coach Gene Shue to play an up-tempo, fast breaking three guard lineup that improved from 38 to 52 wins in just one year. The team never looked back and was a legitimate juggernaut for the rest of the 1970s.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2012/8/22/3258406/elvin-hayes-jack-marin-trade-washington-bullets

When hayes went to the bullets, he cut his shot attempts down to 18.3 per game from 75-79 vs. 69-74 where he took 23.4 per game. He adapted his game and became a major factor in helping them win the championship. His game did change for the better in washington. I wouldn’t call it lucky for hayes to end up next to unseld on the front line, because if he really was that rigid, it wouldn’t have worked out. It’s not uncommon for teams to make sense conceptually, but end up falling short. I think it’s clear that they mutually benefited from each other’s skill sets.
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,201

Post#20 » by Outside » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:41 pm

trex_8063 wrote:Hayes vs Thurmond
This one is closer, but here goes.....
For however much you criticize Hayes on his shooting efficiency, Thurmond would warrant even more criticism on this front. Below is Thurmond's rTS and fga/36 by year....

rTS% and FGA/36 min by year
‘64: -6.19% on 10.1
‘65: -2.33% on 14.1
‘66: -3.22% on 13.9
‘67: -1.30% on 13.9
‘68: -3.16% on 15.1
‘69: -3.37% on 15.6
‘70: -2.80% on 15.5
‘71: +0.05% on 15.1
‘72: -1.26% on 15.6
‘73: +0.07% on 12.2
‘74: -2.39% on 10.1
‘75: -9.91% on 9.0
‘76: -6.17% on 8.7
‘77: -5.27% on 8.9

Note he has just two season (out of 14) above league average--->and both of those are above by <0.1%. He's otherwise got just two other seasons where he even manages better than -2% rTS, and then a spectrum down to as bad as nearly -10% rTS (and always on ~9 fga/36 or more; several years >15 fga/36).

I'll note again that among the advanced box-based rate metrics we have (PER, WS/48, and BPM), WS/48 is [by far] the one most influenced by individual shooting efficiency. And yet in career rs WS, Hayes ranks #47 all-time in NBA/ABA history........Thurmond ranks #161.

Thurmond is almost undoubtedly the better defensive anchor; by how large a margin is what is debatable. Thurmond looks fantastic in WOWY studies. And though I utilize WOWY data for older era players (where better metrics like RAPM are unavailable), I still take it with a grain of salt (as it's quite noisy). Guys like Jack Marin and Bill Cartwright rate out as all-time great superstars in Elgee's regressed WOWY scores, for example. But yes, Thurmond does look brilliant in these studies (as I noted in post #2 itt, Hayes looks very good, too, fwiw).

And once again there's the longevity/durability/consistency edge for Hayes:
Thurmond's career is 14 seasons, 964 rs games, 35,881 rs minutes (his prime is 10 seasons, 681 rs games, 28,769 minutes).
Elvin's again was 16 seasons, 1303 rs games, 50,000 rs minutes (11 seasons, 897 rs games, and 37,558 minutes of that in his prime).

So ultimately I leave it to you to decide for yourself and your own sensibilities if Thurmond's edge as a defensive anchor is enough to outweigh his abysmal shooting efficiency and significantly lesser longevity in this comparison.

Do you have rTS% and FGA/36 min numbers for Hayes? Maybe those have been posted previously, but I couldn't find them at initial glance, and I recall when looking at them before that Hayes was also below average in rTS%. To adequately compare the two, it would be best to see them side by side. If you don't have them, I'll see what I can do to put that together.

Also, I'll point out that the four worst years of Thurmond's rTS% are easily identifiable outliers -- his rookie season, when he played out of position at power forward due to Wilt being on the team, thus leading to far fewer shots in the post since Wilt occupied that territory, and the last three years in Chicago and Cleveland, when he played in different systems with different players and generally significantly fewer minutes.

As for the points regarding WOWY and advanced box-based rate metrics, it's disappointing that you promoted the one where Hayes looks good, WS/48, with minimal qualifiers but dismissed where Thurmond looks good, WOWY, as too noisy to be useful. Stat-keeping for those early days was so rudimentary that advanced metrics are of minimal value, and WS/48 is of particularly little value to a defensive-oriented player like Thurmond. Blocks (an area where Thurmond was an all-time great) and steals weren't recorded until 1973-74, so they don't even factor into Thurmond's WS/48 for any of his prime. Much of an individual player's "rating" is based on team performance, so the Warriors, who had financially straggling ownership that couldn't afford a top roster, don't stand out in that regard.

For example, Bill Russell, a defensive and rebounding specialist with below average TS% (47.1 compared to Thurmond's 47.0) is 26th in career WS/48; Russell is widely considered one of the most impactful, winning players ever, yet his WS/48 doesn't reflect that, and the only reason he's ranked that high is due to being on great teams.

Look at these career stat lines:

Thurmond -- 964 games, 15.0 PPG, 15.0 RPG, 2.7 APG, 47.0 TS%
Russell -- 963 games, 15.1 PPG, 22.5 RPG, 4.3 APG, 47.1 TS%

Russell's edge in rebounds looks big, but he and Wilt (22.89 RPG) were huge outliers, and Thurmond's 15.0 is 5th best all-time.

Russell deserves to be top-five all-time (I struggled between him and Kareem at no. 1), and Thurmond isn't in that lofty group. But elevating Thurmond's TS% as the defining characteristic of his play seems unfair when Russell's TS% is swatted aside due to his defense, rebounding, and leadership. Russell was perhaps the greatest ever in those areas and deserves his top-five rank, but Thurmond is also an all-time great in those same areas, and we're well past the time when he should also be recognized.

EDIT: I see you posted rTS% for Hayes and Daniels while I was writing this post, so thanks for providing that.

Return to Player Comparisons