RealGM 2017 Top 100 #66

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,534

Re: JAMES HARDEN v. NATE THURMOND RealGM Top 100 #66 

Post#21 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:24 am

Wow this will be an interesting run off!
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,844

Post#22 » by Joao Saraiva » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:26 am

Run-off vote: James Harden

He's adding MVP season after MVP season.

Offensive impact is tremendous. Great scorer, very good playmaker. Honestly I feel he might even be lower on the list than he should be getting voted in now.

Nate was a great player but I wouldn't trust him as much as a franchise player as I do with Harden.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,256

Re: RealGM Top 100 #66 

Post#23 » by Outside » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:26 am

penbeast0 wrote:Wasn't speaking of everything, just that one film when I broke it down. Presumably his line for the rest of the game was far superior because other than those out of bounds passes, his offense that quarter was not good.

Interesting, because I saw a lot of positives.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,521

Post#24 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:35 am

Vote: James Harden

Tough one. Both are absolutely deserving of the spot.

I just think Harden is more exceptional. I have my criticisms of the man, but I have to say he has a unique basketball intellect to him. No one's ever played like Harden plays, and the way Harden plays is devastating in its effectiveness.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Fundamentals21
Bench Warmer
And1: 626

Post#25 » by Fundamentals21 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:55 am

Runoff Vote: James Harden

Thurmond is up and coming in my votes, but Harden is frankly too good to be at this level. He dropped off in part because of his defense, but I am frankly not convinced it hurts his team more than someone like Nash, who I championed in the 20's. His playoff record has a couple holes here and there, but he's also been markedly consistent depending on the playoff series and season we're looking at. He's very clearly in the middle of a fantastic superstar run and well on the pace to being Top 20-30 all time, and even now he's borderline Top 50. He's another level of great in comparison to Thurmond, and at this point I am more than willing to ignore the fact that he's only in his 9th season.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,538

Post#26 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:07 am

Vote Nate Thurmond

Thurmond has such high defensive impact that he only needs to be decent on offense to be a great player, and his longevity is much better than Harden's
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#27 » by penbeast0 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:38 pm

Outside wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:Wasn't speaking of everything, just that one film when I broke it down. Presumably his line for the rest of the game was far superior because other than those out of bounds passes, his offense that quarter was not good.

He was a willing pick setter and had good mechanics on the picks, he had two good shots, one a fallaway from the baseline and one nice dunk, no turnovers trying to be a hero which is a good thing too.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,256

Post#28 » by Outside » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:36 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
Outside wrote:

He was a willing pick setter and had good mechanics on the picks, he had two good shots, one a fallaway from the baseline and one nice dunk, no turnovers trying to be a hero which is a good thing too.

On a side note, I saw a lot of turnovers from other players who tried to force passes into tight windows, some of which seemed to have a really small chance of success. It's one of the many areas where the game has evolved, where now taking care of the ball and valuing possessions is a point of emphasis. I've always been curious about the pace of that era, why the stats show it was so high when I watch the games and it's not like it's ping pong with the teams going back and forth at breakneck speed; the Suns "seven seconds or less" teams seem like they went just as fast, and I've heard that today's teams play at a faster pace than those Suns on average.

Anyway, watching this video made me think that turnovers might be a significant factor in the pace stats from the 60s, because pace is a measure of how many possessions a team has per game, and if they throw the ball away more frequently, that would inflate the pace numbers. The NBA didn't record turnovers until 1977-78, so the info isn't available.
penbeast0

Post#29 » by penbeast0 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:27 pm

I think you have a good point. I see a lot of turnovers and attempts to force assists in most of those games, even from players like Jeff Mullins in that game who have a reputation as being very fundamentally sound.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
penbeast0

Post#30 » by penbeast0 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:31 pm

Votes now stand at Harden 6, Thurmond 4; calling it for Harden.

Spoiler:
eminence wrote:.

penbeast0 wrote:.

Clyde Frazier wrote:.

PaulieWal wrote:.

Colbinii wrote:.

Texas Chuck wrote:.

drza wrote:.

Dr Spaceman wrote:.

fpliii wrote:.

euroleague wrote:.

pandrade83 wrote:.

Hornet Mania wrote:.

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:.

SactoKingsFan wrote:.

Blackmill wrote:.

JordansBulls wrote:.

RSCS3_ wrote:.

BasketballFan7 wrote:.

micahclay wrote:.

ardee wrote:.

RCM88x wrote:.

Tesla wrote:.

Joao Saraiva wrote:.

LA Bird wrote:.

MyUniBroDavis wrote:.

kayess wrote:.

2klegend wrote:.

MisterHibachi wrote:.

70sFan wrote:.

mischievous wrote:.

Doctor MJ wrote:.

Dr Positivity wrote:.

Jaivl wrote:.

Bad Gatorade wrote:.

andrewww wrote:.

Moonbeam wrote:.

Cyrusman122000 wrote:.

Winsome Gerbil wrote:.

Narigo wrote:.

wojoaderge wrote:.

TrueLAfan wrote:.

90sAllDecade wrote:.

Outside wrote:.

scabbarista wrote:.

janmagn wrote:.

Arman_tanzarian wrote:.

oldschooled wrote:.

Pablo Novi wrote:.

john248 wrote:.

mdonnelly1989 wrote:.

Senior wrote:.

twolves97 wrote:.

CodeBreaker wrote:.

JoeMalburg wrote:.

dhsilv2 wrote:.

Return to Player Comparisons