john248 wrote:.

mdonnelly1989 wrote:.

Senior wrote:.

twolves97 wrote:.

CodeBreaker wrote:.

JoeMalburg wrote:.

dhsilv2 wrote:.

2/3 finished.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Re: RealGM Top 100 Project #67 

Post#2 » by penbeast0 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:43 am

Moncrief is my favorite left, though his window is so friggin short. He basically took a similarly talented Milwaukee team farther than Nique ever took Atlanta even beating Bird's Celtics superteam before running into the fo fo fo Sixers. Probably the best man defender on the perimeter of all time; Jordan, when fired up played at that level but Moncrief played at it consistently. And, a terrific offensive player capable of going for 20ppg without being a featured iso star. (Which to me is harder than scoring 25ppg on a team that builds its offense to feature you.) Not a player that ever showed much of a 3 point shot but his ability to draw fouls on opposing big men is something that the Iverson fans were talking about previously so his very high foul draw would tend to counterbalance that. KJ was very very good, though not as dominant as Moncrief in my book and also with injury problems though his allowed him to play for a lot more years, even if many of them were interrupted. Walton just didn't play enough for me to list him in any top 100 careers though his peak was terrific. I have to look at Bobby Jones as well.

Sam Jones is the best second option, think he has an edge on contemporary Hal Greer with his efficiency and playoff performances. Greer was the one with more accolades though possibly it was more just about the PPG and a lesser emphasis on how efficient that scoring was and how it integrated into the team game plus of course those accolades are regular season. Although Sam's defense was not special, what we have for numbers and watching what limited games we have makes him willing and not clueless. And, he (and before him Frank Ramsey) turned into something special in the playoffs quite frequently. You can't doubt that a team can win big and win consistently with Sam Jones as their second star.

Thurmond suffers from the opposite problem. His defense, particularly his man defense, was outstanding; his rebounding terrific. But his offense was putrid. He fell in love with his mediocre jumper and frequently not even when he was in post position with the offense revolving around it. He shot too much and too badly in his prime and his passing was not particularly good either. Again, his defense and rebounding make him a strong consideration but I am far from sure I have him ahead of Mel Daniels (big frog in a small puddle but with 2MVPs and 3 titles, 2 as the best player) or Bob McAdoo (weaker league in the 70s but won MVP over Kareem and did it seemingly playing out of position mainly at the C when he was clearly physically outmatched . . . sort of the Amare Stoudamire of his day with more defense but more openly discussed team issues and lack of team success).

Vote: Sam Jones
Alternate: Sidney Moncrief
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,056

Post#3 » by iggymcfrack » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:47 am

I really like Moncrief and Ben Wallace at this point. I think Moncrief’s a player whose reputation would probably benefit a lot from modern impact metrics. Everything we do have points to him being one of the best perimeter defenders of all time. Then on top of that, he was an incredibly efficient scorer. His TS% of .591 is 15th all-time among players who averaged at least 15 PPG.

Wallace meanwhile at peak was pretty much Bill Russell-esque in his ability to utterly dominate a game purely through his defense. For 97-14 RAPM points above average he ranks #22 and for 91-14 xRAPM points above average he ranks #11. Also, there is the factor that he was the best player on the ‘04 Pistons who won a ring over one of the original superteams, the Shaq/Kobe/Malone/Payton Lakers that everyone expected to steamroll to a ring after beating a 57-win Duncan led Spurs team and a 58-win KG led Wolves team.

I like Moncrief the better of the two but both are excellent choices. Kevin Johnson also an excellent choice at this point. Incredibly efficient scorer and amazing playmaker who I’d put ahead of Isiah Thomas on the point guard list.
pandrade83
Starter
And1: 604

Post#4 » by pandrade83 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:10 pm

iggymcfrack wrote:I really like Moncrief and Ben Wallace at this point. I think Moncrief’s a player whose reputation would probably benefit a lot from modern impact metrics. Everything we do have points to him being one of the best perimeter defenders of all time. Then on top of that, he was an incredibly efficient scorer. His TS% of .591 is 15th all-time among players who averaged at least 15 PPG.

Wallace meanwhile at peak was pretty much Bill Russell-esque in his ability to utterly dominate a game purely through his defense. For 97-14 RAPM points above average he ranks #22 and for 91-14 xRAPM points above average he ranks #11. Also, there is the factor that he was the best player on the ‘04 Pistons who won a ring over one of the original superteams, the Shaq/Kobe/Malone/Payton Lakers that everyone expected to steamroll to a ring after beating a 57-win Duncan led Spurs team and a 58-win KG led Wolves team.

I like Moncrief the better of the two but both are excellent choices. Kevin Johnson also an excellent choice at this point. Incredibly efficient scorer and amazing playmaker who I’d put ahead of Isiah Thomas on the point guard list.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way.
pandrade83
Starter

Post#5 » by pandrade83 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:13 pm

Primary Vote: Kevin Johnson
2nd vote: Bob McAdoo

Kevin Johnson, Bob McAdoo, Sidney Moncrief, Mel Daniels & Paul Arizin are the next guys up who seem to move the needle enough where they can be the best player on a contender over a multi-year stretch who also had any kind of longevity.

I'm setting aside Arizin because of the 50's era for now & Daniels due to a combination of being unimpressed with his game tape & concerns that his best work was done before the ABA upped it's quality. I remember KJ, & I've watched some YouTube clips of McAdoo/Moncrief to feel like they're all 3 objectively good enough to succeed in any era.

So, KJ vs. McAdoo vs. Moncrief -

From a longevity standpoint, all have done "just enough" to warrant consideration here. Ironically enough, each finished with just about 90 WS (93 for KJ, 89 for Big Mac, 90 for Sid).

Given that, I'm really going to focus in on their best 5 years (89-92, 97 for KJ, '74-78 for McAdoo, '82-'86 for Sid). If you're picking these guys, it's not for longevity, so if we're going to pick primes, let's pick primes.

WS
McAdoo - 66
Sid - 62
KJ - 58

BPM - unweighted 5 yr avg
Sid - 5.2
McAdoo - 4.3
KJ - 3.8

PER - unweighted 5 yr avg
McAdoo - 23.5
KJ - 22
Sid - 20.5

Off reg season performance, McAdoo narrowly takes the edge over Sid with KJ bringing up the rear. Although it's noteworthy that strength of era is reverse of that order and the gap here isn't huge.

Playoffs

McAdoo - 30/13/3 , 3.1 combined blk/steal, 3.8 TOV (only '78), 52% TS
KJ - 21/11/4, 1.8 combined blk/steal, 3.8 TOV, 55% TS
Sid - 19/6/4, 1.9 combined blk/steal, 2.9 TOV, 57% TS

All seem to acquit themselves fairly well under the bright lights of the playoffs. Sid has (by far) the biggest drop-off in #'s, but I thought that his tape against rookie MJ is quite impressive defensively, so while I view him as a weaker playoff performer than the other two, the gap is small.

Impact on Winning & other thoughts

KJ shows up strong in the WOWY Data (#25) and is the best player on 4 teams that finish in the Top 5 on SRS. All of these teams have stronger offenses than defenses & KJ is the offensive anchor for that bunch from '89-'92 finishing 2nd, 3rd, 3rd & 5th in offensive rating.

He can reasonably be called the offensive anchor on the '94 squad which finished 1st in offensive rating and was the clear anchor in his last prime season in '97 for a team that finished 7th in offensive efficiency. Amongst players who averaged 20 pts/10 ast on 55+ TS he's in elite company with the Big O, Paul, Magic, Harden, Archibald ('73), Westbrook, Isiah & Deron Williams. Only the BIG O has more seasons of such caliber than KJ.

Buffalo was a dumpster fire before McAdoo hits his stride; other noteable roster changes include the loss of Elmore Smith & the gain of Jim McMillan. Once McAdoo hits his stride in '74, the Braves make the playoffs every year through '76, falling to the Eastern Conference Champ every time pushing the team to at least 6. In '77, Buffalo falls apart a bit - they go 8-12 with McAdoo & 22-40 without him & he's traded for the Knicks for John Gianelli & cash. Seems troubling. Buffalo retreats back to 50 loss territory after McAdoo leaves in 77 & again in 78.

The Knicks record doesn't improve much in '77, but their SRS jumps from -1 to flat from the prior year - they also have to replace Haywood. In '78, despite losing a post-prime Frazier for nothing the Knicks have their best record in 3 years, although the SRS falls back slightly. McAdoo leaves - on not great terms by all accounts the following year, & the Knicks collapse to a 50 loss team.

During this period, McAdoo wins MVP over Kareem, which seems noteworthy - from '74-'76 Buffalo is Top 5 in offensive efficiency and falls off a cliff without him (while also climbing a mountain once he hits his prime). New York's offensive efficiency goes from -0.3 in '76 to +0.6 in '77 to + 0.8 in '78 and then down to -1.6 without him. He later has a useful post prime with the Lakers as a high impact bench player.

The 30-12-55%+ TS club is him, Kareem, WIlt, Bellamy, Oscar & Moses. If you make it just 2 blocks a game, the club is safely, him with KAJ & Wilt.

Moncrief joins an already good but not great Bucks team that was winning in the high 40's & continue to do so when his prime ended. During the Moncrief prime when he led the Bucks in WS every year from '82-'86, the Bucks won an average of 54 games a year in the decisively harder conference, and had a pair of ECF appearances and made it to at least the 2nd round every year. They knocked off Philly with Barkley, Mo Cheeks & post prime DR J/Moses in '86 & swept Boston in '83. MIlwaukee was an average of -4.1 rel DRTG from '81-'86; a huge jump from the -0.2 from '78-'80 & the -1.5 that they were in '87-'89. This really highlights Moncrief's defensive impact and he's one of few perimeter players (especially at this stage) who can really anchor a defense. His 5 X All D & 2 X DPOY awards are backed up by the #'s listed previously.

Offensively, the relatively low usage rate (low 20's), keeps his impact from being too high but he's quite efficient, scoring in the low 20's while getting TS% rates right around 60%. He strikes me as quite likely the strongest ceiling raiser of the bunch, even as he is probably the worst floor raiser.

Of these 3 guys, I ultimately think any order is perfectly reasonable & I don't feel strongly about it. None of these guys has excellent longevity but . . .

KJ offers me the most prime seasons. If he's my point guard & healthy, I feel like I'm guaranteed an offense around the Top 5 when he's in his prime unless my offense is just bad - but even that '97 Suns team was 7th in offense despite not being talented. I also love that he competed very highly in he playoffs. He strikes me as a strong offensive anchor and while the RS metrics aren't quite as strong as McAdoo/Moncrief he did play in a stronger era and that matters to me.

McAdoo offers me the highest peak. His '74-'76 run is really quite outstanding. Looking through rose colored glasses, I'd say he slowed down because his body wasn't built to play center in the 70's.

Moncrief is the best defender of the 3 - by a fairly wide margin. The rare perimeter player who can anchor a defense - and brings an efficient, if relatively low volume offensive game to the table.

I'll be supporting KJ/McAdoo/Moncrief in order but the gap is very narrow & I think I'd do just as well picking the names out of a hat.

Since I'm backing KJ - I want to give everyone one last reminder of his explosiveness. This is arguably the best in-game playoff dunk (or at least my favorite).
penbeast0

Post#6 » by penbeast0 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:16 pm

pandrade83 wrote:Primary Vote: Kevin Johnson

Kevin Johnson, Bob McAdoo, Sidney Moncrief, Mel Daniels & Paul Arizin are the next guys up who seem to move the needle enough where they can be the best player on a contender over a multi-year stretch who also had any kind of longevity.

All 3 excellent short prime choices. How do you feel about Bobby Jones? Clearly a high impact player in Denver where he and Mack Calvin (who was a great fun player but who didn't move the needle much in his previous 4 teams) replaced Julius Keye and Warren Jabali and Denver went from a below .500 team to one that had a better record than Julius Erving in NY or Artis Gilmore in Kentucky. Most 1st team All-D awards in NBA/ABA history (award started in 1969); one of only 4 players in NBA history to average 2 blocks/2 steals a game (Hakeem, DRob, Gerald Wallace). Like Moncrief, a superefficient scorer who led the league in fg% and was an excellent passer as well, though never the volume scorer of prime Moncrief. But...asthma and high energy play style may have limited his minutes and spent part of his career as 6th man type.

And, who would be your highest remaining long career/prime guy if longevity were a big factor?
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,318

Post#7 » by Clyde Frazier » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:22 pm

Vote 1 - Bob McAdoo

Vote 2 - Paul Arizin

Can obviously go in a lot of directions at this point. McAdoo’s prime isn’t as long as I’d like, but he had some really solid production during those years and peaked highly in 75:

Regular Season (won MVP)
34.5 PPG, 14.1 RPG, 2.2 APG, 1.1 SPG, 2.1 BPG, 56.9% TS (+6.7% vs. league average)

Playoffs
37.4 PPG, 13.4 RPG, 1.4 APG, .9 SPG, 2.7 BPG, 52.8% TS

The Braves would lose in 7 games to the #1 SRS ranked Bullets, with a valiant effort by McAdoo

As he transitioned into a role player for the Lakers, he was integral in their 82 championship run in his first season there:

16.7 PPG, 6.8 RPG, 1.6 APG, .7 SPG, 1.5 BPG, 58.6% TS, 108 ORTG, .126 WS/48
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,250

Post#8 » by Outside » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:24 pm

Vote: Nate Thurmond

Alternate: Sam Jones

Thurmond was a great, great defender and rebounder, one of the best shot blockers ever, and a great teammate. Though his offensive efficiency was below average, he was very good in numerous other offensive aspects, including passing, setting screens, and floor spacing. He is one of only five players to average 15 points and 15 rebounds for his career.

Both Kareem and Wilt credited Thurmond as their toughest defender.

Kareem: ""He plays me better than anybody ever has, He's tall, has real long arms, and most of all he's agile and strong. When I score on Nate, I know I've done something."

Wilt: "Nate Thurmond was an incredible defensive basketball player. He played me as well as Bill Russell."

Here are the head2head finder results for Thurmond and Kareem.

http://bkref.com/tiny/1oItw

Nate looks decent in the overall results, 12.7 PPG vs 26.3 for Kareem, which is holding down the greatest scorer in the history of the game during his highest scoring years.

But look a little closer, and Nate's performances are more impressive. Through 1970-71 (Kareem's first three seasons when he averaged 31.8 PPG, total of 9 games H2H), the scoring averages are 25.0 for Kareem and 22.8 for Nate. Through 1972-73 (18 games), it's 25.1 for Kareem vs 18.7 for Nate. If you scan the list, you'll see numerous instances where they were even scoring-wise or Thurmond outscored him.

Thurmond's scoring drops after that, but his defense on Kareem is still effective. The last few games are outliers at the end of Thurmond's career where he didn't play as much and the numbers are less relevant.

Unfortunately, the results don't list rebounds, FG%, blocks, or steals until the later years. But the info still demonstrates that Thurmond limited Kareem as well as anyone could and was pretty effective offensively until wear and tear took its toll.

From Trex's post no. 3 in thread 65:

The little we have in terms of impact indicators is compelling:

With/without records

'63 Warriors (before Thurmond): 31-49

‘64: 46-30 (.605) with, 2-2 (.500) without (48-32 overall: +17 wins from prior year, with majority roster overlap; addition of Thurmond and new [better] coach in Alex Hannum were the primary changes; ALL of that improvement happened on the defensive end, btw)

‘65: 17-60 (.221) with, 0-3 (.000) without
‘66: 33-40 (.452) with, 2-5 (.286) without
‘67: 38-27 (.585) with, 6-10 (.375) without
‘68: 32-19 (.627) with, 11-20 (.355) without
‘69: 38-33 (.535) with, 3-8 (.273) without
‘70: 21-22 (.488) with, 9-30 (.231) without
‘71: 41-41 (.500) with, 0-0 without
‘72: 49-29 (.628) with, 2-2 (.500) without
‘73: 46-33 (.582) with, 1-2 (.333) without
‘74: 35-27 (.565) with, 9-11 (.450) without
‘75: 45-35 (.563) with, 2-0 (1.000) without
‘76: 46-32 (.590) with, 0-2 (.000) without
‘77: 27-22 (.551) with, 16-17 (.485) without

I was pleased to see that in The Undefeated's recent redo of the top 50 players in NBA history, Nate still made the cut.

http://theundefeated.com/features/nba-50-greatest-players-remix/?addata=espn:frontpage

Thurmond went to the finals twice, losing to two of the greatest teams in league history.

With Wilt in his rookie season, the Warriors lost to a Celtics team that Russell considered the best of his teams -- they won the 6th of 8 consecutive titles that season, Havlicek had arrived, Sam Jones and Tom Heinsohn were at their peak, and they had defensive specialists KC Jones and Tom Sanders and sixth man Frank Ramsay. Thurmond played out of position at power forward in order to accommodate Wilt, but even as a rookie, he still averaged a double-double of 11 points and 13 rebounds in the finals.

His second trip to the finals was in 1967 against Wilt's Sixers, a team that set the record for wins that season. In the finals against Wilt, Thurmond averaged 14.2 points and 26.7 rebounds going against Wilt, who averaged 17.7 points and 28.5 rebounds. They took the Sixers to six games.

Thurmond was second to Wilt in MVP voting that season, ahead of Russell, Oscar, and teammate Rick Barry, who averaged 35.6 PPG.

I've brought up Thurmond's Cleveland jersey retirement on multiple occasions because it demonstrates how impactful he was as a leader and teammate. He played in Cleveland for less than two seasons, only 114 games, which is the shortest tenure of any player who has had his jersey retired by an NBA franchise. He was at the end of his career, and his statistics were a shadow of his former production -- 18.7 minutes, 5.0 points, 6.3 rebounds. Yet he was so important in being a leader for that team, teaching a young franchise how to win, that he became the first Cleveland Cavalier to have his jersey retired. From the statement by the Cavs when Nate died:

Nate’s jersey hangs in the rafters at The Q because of the unselfish way the Akron native and Hall of Famer approached the game we all love, the teammate that he was, his profound impact on one of the most special seasons in Cavaliers history, and the way that all translated on and off the court to reflect the 'All for One. One for All.' code. Just as Nate always held the Miracle team, the Coliseum crowds and his local roots dear to him, the Cavaliers franchise will always love and respect him as a true Cavalier legend.

This for a guy who played for them only a season and a half at the end of his career.

Thurmond played during the golden age of NBA centers, but as far as this project goes, that works against him. He's pushed out of people's minds because they think of Russell, Wilt, and Kareem first, and they should, because those are all-time greats. But Thurmond is among the very best defenders, shot blockers, and rebounders the league has ever seen, and he is a tier below those great centers, but he more than held his own against them. Players like Reed, Unseld, and Cowens are already in because they won MVPs and were on title teams; Mutombo is in because he was a DPOY and had very good longevity. Okay, fine, but look how Thurmond compares to those guys:

http://bkref.com/tiny/JCcc6

Consider that:

-- Thurmond was a better defender than any of them (yes, even Mutombo).
-- This is without the benefit of basic stats such as blocks, steals, and turnovers, let alone advanced metrics.
-- Thurmond was among the best shot blockers in history. If that stat was kept during his entire career, he'd likely rank second to only Russell in that department. As it is, even though the league tracked blocks for only Thurmond's last four seasons, all post-prime, he still averaged 2.6 blocks per 36 minutes; compare that to Mutombo's career 3.2 blocks per 36 minutes, which obviously includes his entire prime.
-- Mutombo has a longevity advantage in seasons and games, but that advantage largely disappears when you look at career minutes (36,791 for Mutombo vs 35,881 for Thurmond).
-- Thurmond's longevity in minutes is way better than Reed and significantly better than Cowens.

Thurmond made it to the finals twice, losing to two of the best teams in NBA history (1964 Celtics and 1967 Sixers).

If we had his stats for blocked shots or advanced metrics showing his defensive impact, he would've been voted in long ago.
pandrade83
Starter

Post#9 » by pandrade83 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:39 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
pandrade83 wrote:Primary Vote: Kevin Johnson

All 3 excellent short prime choices. How do you feel about Bobby Jones? Clearly a high impact player in Denver where he and Mack Calvin (who was a great fun player but who didn't move the needle much in his previous 4 teams) replaced Julius Keye and Warren Jabali and Denver went from a below .500 team to one that had a better record than Julius Erving in NY or Artis Gilmore in Kentucky. Most 1st team All-D awards in NBA/ABA history (award started in 1969); one of only 4 players in NBA history to average 2 blocks/2 steals a game (Hakeem, DRob, Gerald Wallace). Like Moncrief, a superefficient scorer who led the league in fg% and was an excellent passer as well, though never the volume scorer of prime Moncrief. But...asthma and high energy play style may have limited his minutes and spent part of his career as 6th man type.

And, who would be your highest remaining long career/prime guy if longevity were a big factor?

I like Bobby Jones. He's coming up soon. High efficiency, low volume, great defense, great teammate.

Some 35 K + Minute guys I like who I will probably be supporting soon (in order, maybe while eating lunch @ my desk). I'm sure I'm way off base & need to re-visit this @ some point here.

Grant Hill (rounding to 35 K)
Shawn Marion
Nate Thurmond
Rasheed Wallace
Mo Cheeks
Joe Dumars
DQuinn1575
Sixth Man
And1: 705

Post#10 » by DQuinn1575 » Fri Dec 1, 2017 1:48 pm

Nate ranks 13th in blocks per game for players aged 32-35. To say he would be ahead of all of them plus Wilt in career blocks is at best a bit of a stretch.

Outside wrote:Vote: Nate Thurmond

Alternate: Sam Jones

Thurmond was a great, great defender and rebounder, one of the best shot blockers ever, and a great teammate. Though his offensive efficiency was below average, he was very good in numerous other offensive aspects, including passing, setting screens, and floor spacing. He is one of only five players to average 15 points and 15 rebounds for his career.

Both Kareem and Wilt credited Thurmond as their toughest defender.

Kareem: ""He plays me better than anybody ever has, He's tall, has real long arms, and most of all he's agile and strong. When I score on Nate, I know I've done something."

Wilt: "Nate Thurmond was an incredible defensive basketball player. He played me

http://bkref.com/tiny/1oItw

Nate looks decent in the overall results, 12.7 PPG vs 26.3 for Kareem, which is holding down the greatest scorer in the history of the game during his highest scoring years.

But look a little closer, and Nate's performances are more impressive. Through 1970-71 (Kareem's first three seasons when he averaged 31.8 PPG, total of 9 games H2H), the scoring averages are 25.0 for Kareem and 22.8 for Nate. Through 1972-73 (18 games), it's 25.1 for Kareem vs 18.7 for Nate. If you scan the list, you'll see numerous instances where they were even scoring-wise or Thurmond outscored him.

Thurmond's scoring drops after that, but his defense on Kareem is still effective. The last few games are outliers at the end of Thurmond's career where he didn't play as much and the numbers are less relevant.

Unfortunately, the results don't list rebounds, FG%, blocks, or steals until the later years. But the info still demonstrates that Thurmond limited Kareem as well as anyone could and was pretty effective offensively until wear and tear took its toll.

From Trex's post no. 3 in thread 65:

With/without records

‘64: 46-30 (.605) with, 2-2 (.500) without (48-32 overall: +17 wins from prior year, with majority roster overlap; addition of Thurmond and new [better] coach in Alex Hannum were the primary changes; ALL of that improvement happened on the defensive end, btw)

I was pleased to see that in The Undefeated's recent redo of the top 50 players in NBA history, Nate still made the cut.

http://theundefeated.com/features/nba-50-greatest-players-remix/?addata=espn:frontpage

Thurmond went to the finals twice, losing to two of the greatest teams in league history.

With Wilt in his rookie season, the Warriors lost to a Celtics team that Russell considered the best of his teams -- they won the 6th of 8 consecutive titles that season, Havlicek had arrived, Sam Jones and Tom Heinsohn were at their peak, and they had defensive specialists KC Jones and Tom Sanders and sixth man Frank Ramsay. Thurmond played out of position at power forward in order to accommodate Wilt, but even as a rookie, he still averaged a double-double of 11 points and 13 rebounds in the finals.

His second trip to the finals was in 1967 against Wilt's Sixers, a team that set the record for wins that season. In the finals against Wilt, Thurmond averaged 14.2 points and 26.7 rebounds going against Wilt, who averaged 17.7 points and 28.5 rebounds. They took the Sixers to six games.

Thurmond was second to Wilt in MVP voting that season, ahead of Russell, Oscar, and teammate Rick Barry, who averaged 35.6 PPG.

I've brought up Thurmond's Cleveland jersey retirement on multiple occasions because it demonstrates how impactful he was as a leader and teammate. He played in Cleveland for less than two seasons, only 114 games, which is the shortest tenure of any player who has had his jersey retired by an NBA franchise. He was at the end of his career, and his statistics were a shadow of his former production -- 18.7 minutes, 5.0 points, 6.3 rebounds. Yet he was so important in being a leader for that team, teaching a young franchise how to win, that he became the first

Nate’s jersey hangs in the rafters at The Q because of the unselfish way the Akron native and Hall of Famer approached the game we all love, the teammate that he was, his profound impact on one of the most special seasons in Cavaliers history, and the way that all translated on and off the court to reflect the 'All for One. One for All.' code. Just as Nate always held the Miracle team, the Coliseum crowds and his local roots dear to him, the Cavaliers franchise will always love and respect him as a true Cavalier legend.

This for a guy who played for them only a season and a half at the end of his career.

Thurmond played during the golden age of NBA centers, but as far as this project goes, that works against him. He's pushed out of people's minds because they think of Russell, Wilt, and Kareem first, and they should, because those are all-time greats. But Thurmond is among the very best defenders, shot blockers, and rebounders the league has ever seen, and he is a tier below those great centers, but he more than held his own against them. Players like Reed, Unseld, and Cowens are already in because they won MVPs and were on title teams; Mutombo is in because he was a DPOY and had very good longevity. Okay, fine, but look how Thurmond compares to those guys:

http://bkref.com/tiny/JCcc6

Consider that:

-- Thurmond was a better defender than any of them (yes, even Mutombo).
-- This is without the benefit of basic stats such as blocks, steals, and turnovers, let alone advanced metrics.
-- Thurmond was among the best shot blockers in history. If that stat was kept during his entire career, he'd likely rank second to only Russell in that department. As it is, even though the league tracked blocks for only Thurmond's last four seasons, all post-prime, he still averaged 2.6 blocks per 36 minutes; compare that to Mutombo's career 3.2 blocks per 36 minutes, which obviously includes his entire prime.
-- Mutombo has a longevity advantage in seasons and games, but that advantage largely disappears when you look at career minutes (36,791 for Mutombo vs 35,881 for Thurmond).
-- Thurmond's longevity in minutes is way better than Reed and significantly better than Cowens.

Thurmond made it to the finals twice, losing to two of the best teams in NBA history (1964 Celtics and 1967 Sixers).

If we had his stats for blocked shots or advanced metrics showing his defensive impact, he would've been voted in long ago.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,265

Post#11 » by trex_8063 » Fri Dec 1, 2017 5:36 pm

1st vote: Nate Thurmond
Yes, too many shots on poor shooting efficiency, but I do allow he's unlikely to take so many "poor" shots in any later era (when coaches and basketball minds in general had smartened up a bit). I'd also speculate (as Outside did in prior threads) that his willingness (and modest ability) to shoot from 12-16 feet forces the opposing PF/C out of the paint (I actually did see an example of this in game from '64).
He was decent in his low-post game (nice little jump-hook anyway), and arguably an underrated passer.

Anyway, that's about as far as I can argue his offense. Suffice to say I feel he's perhaps maligned slightly more here than is justified, but nonetheless obviously offense is not where the lion's share of his value and impact come from.

Defensively, reputation (statements from the likes of Wilt and Kareem) and my own H2H studies have led me to conclude he's the greatest low-post man defender of all-time.
He appears to be a very relevant rim-protecting presence, too: I'm basing this on a little eye-test, reputation (statements made by himself, as well as various teammates, Wilt, etc), and the fact that he avg 3.4 blocks/100 possessions from '74-'77 (all on the wrong side of age 32, mostly post-prime years).
And from the games I've watched, I like what I see (especially relative to era-norms) in terms of pnr defense (even as late as 1975).

With/without records

Rates out very well in Elgee's WOWY studies, too (though I've previously questioned methodology there).

2nd vote: Kevin Johnson
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by Outside » Fri Dec 1, 2017 7:50 pm

DQuinn1575 wrote:Nate ranks 13th in blocks per game for players aged 32-35. To say he would be ahead of all of them plus Wilt in career blocks is at best a bit of a stretch.

I assume this is the query you ran:

http://bkref.com/tiny/wwEE0

Is that correct? Thurmond shows up 13th on that list, which is seasons by a player age 32-35 sorted by blocks per game.

Perhaps this is a more meaningful query:

http://bkref.com/tiny/Y39QZ

Here's the criteria I used for that query:

-- Last four seasons of a player's career
-- Age 30 or more
-- Minimum 2.0 blocks per game

Final seasons of a player's career is an important factor, since players from Thurmond's era generally played more minutes per game and had shorter careers in terms of seasons, meaning that most retired at an earlier age compared to more modern players. Modern players also have the benefit of better medical treatment and training methods that extend their careers into later years compared to players from Thurmond's era.

Only six players meet those criteria:

1. Larry Nance - 2.6
2. Alonzo Mourning - 2.3
3. Mark Eaton - 2.2
4. David Robinson - 2.1
5. Thurmond - 2.1
6. Tim Duncan - 2.0

Let's look at the other players on that list.

Larry Nance actually had three of his five highest BPG averages in his final four seasons. In comparison, Thurmond's BPG dropped precipitously in his final seasons compared to his prime years, though we of course don't have the stats for those. But Thurmond's BPG in his final four seasons decline as you would expect for a player at the end of his career -- 2.9, 2.4, 1.3, 1.7.

Alonzo Mourning had remarkably steady BPG over the course of his career, with a high of 3.9 and a career average of 2.8. He obviously had to deal with his kidney issues in the second half of his career, but other than 2003-04, right after missing the entire 2002-03 season, he did really well -- in fact, his last four seasons were the four highest blocks/36 minutes of his career. Here are Mourning's reb/36 minutes in his last four seasons with the percentage showing how that compares to his best season (11.9 reb/36 in 2000-01).

10.2 - 86%
9.9 - 83%
8.0 - 67%
8.6 - 72%

Here's Thurmond's reb/36 in his last four seasons compared to his best season (18.2 in 1967-68).

12.8 - 70%
11.8 - 65%
10.7 - 59%
13.5 - 74%

The thing is, after Mourning's kidney transplant, he missed a lot of games, but when he was well enough to play, he played reduced minutes and was able to be remarkably productive when looking at his per-36 stats.

Here's some other info to look at.

Thurmond career -- 964 games, 35,881 minutes, 37.2 MPG
Mourning career -- 686 games, 25,975 minutes, 31.0 MPG

Thurmond last four seasons -- 269 games, 7,609 minutes, 28.2 MPG
Mourning last four seasons -- 186 games, 3,508 minutes, 18.9 MPG

The end of Thurmond's career followed a path you'd more typically expect with reduced minutes and reduced productivity, but his limitations were related to the accumulation of injuries and the toll that had taken on his body, which he was able to generally able to play through, though not as productively. By the time Thurmond began his last four seasons, he'd already played 11 more games and 2,297 more minutes than Mourning would play in his career.

Mark Eaton was an excellent shotblocker, averaging 3.5 blocks over his career with a high of 5.6 in 1984-85 and four other seasons over 4 BPG. His career follows the typical arc you'd expect, with prime years followed by a steep decline. He was remarkably healthy over his 11 seasons, probably because he relied on his sheer size (7'4" and not skinny), not athleticism. He was the immovable object in the middle of Utah's defense. He was an okay rebounder and poor scorer. His job was to concentrate on the defensive end, be big, and block the shot of normal-sized humans (by NBA standards, anyway) who dared to shoot inside, and he usually blocked shots without leaving his feet.

I have no way to prove that Thurmond in his prime blocked more shots than Eaton, but Thurmond was long, athletic, and covered a lot of ground, especially compared to Eaton. I'm confident in arguing that Thurmond was a better shotblocker in his prime than the floor-bound Eaton; if we only had the stats for Thurmond.

David Robinson is the most similar to Thurmond of this group, a long, lean, athletic player with a defensive mindset, and he and Thurmond played a similar number of games and minutes. Robinson had a high of 4.5 BPG in his third season. Both of them averaged 2.1 BPG in their final four seasons.

Tim Duncan averaged 2.0 BPG his last four seasons, but thanks to Pop's management, he was remarkably productive those last four seasons, considering Duncan's career BPG is 2.17 and his high was 2.9. Duncan's fourth-to-last season, he actually had his highest blocks/36 of his career. He used his length and intelligence to block shots very effectively in his later years. Thurmond did the same, but he was a far more effective shotblocker in his prime by using his athleticism.

Here is a list of all-time leaders in blocks per game.

1. Eaton - 3.50
2. Manute Bol - 3.34
3. Olajuwon - 3.08
4. Robinson - 2.99
5. Elmore Smith - 2.90
6. Mourning - 2.81
7. Mutombo - 2.75
8. Jabbar - 2.57

It's no surprise to me that of the six players who averaged 2.0 blocks or more per game in their last four seasons, three are in the top six on the all-time list. Thurmond's BPG of 2.1 in his last four seasons would put him 21st, right behind Duncan and ahead of guys like Dwight Howard (1.99, 21st), DeAndre Jordan (1.77, 30th), and Kevin Garnett (1.39, 83rd). And that's the old, broken down Nate Thurmond.

As for Wilt, he was a tremendous shotblocker early in his career, but as he bulked up to withstand the pounding he took, he played a much slower and more floor-bound game. In the video of game 7 of the 1969 finals, Russell looks significantly more spry than Wilt, though Russell retired after that game and Wilt went on to play four more seasons. Wilt was still able to block shots, but nothing like he had early in his career. Thurmond slowed down the last few years due to injury, but he had a much longer shotblocking prime compared to Wilt.

I'm still quite comfortable arguing that Thurmond belongs just behind Russell when it comes to blocking shots. He was great at it.
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,013

Post#13 » by Owly » Fri Dec 1, 2017 9:27 pm

Outside wrote:
DQuinn1575 wrote:Nate ranks 13th in blocks per game for players aged 32-35. To say he would be ahead of all of them plus Wilt in career blocks is at best a bit of a stretch.

I assume this is the query you ran:

http://bkref.com/tiny/wwEE0

Is that correct? Thurmond shows up 13th on that list, which is seasons by a player age 32-35 sorted by blocks per game.

Perhaps this is a more meaningful query:

http://bkref.com/tiny/Y39QZ

-- Age 30 or more

Final seasons of a player's career is an important factor, since players from Thurmond's era generally played more minutes per game and had shorter careers in terms of seasons, meaning that most retired at an earlier age compared to more modern players. Modern players also have the benefit of better medical treatment and training methods that extend their careers into later years compared to players from Thurmond's era.

1. Larry Nance - 2.6
2. Alonzo Mourning - 2.3
3. Mark Eaton - 2.2
4. David Robinson - 2.1
5. Thurmond - 2.1
6. Tim Duncan - 2.0

Let's look at the other players on that list.

Larry Nance actually had three of his five highest BPG averages in his final four seasons. In comparison, Thurmond's BPG dropped precipitously in his final seasons compared to his prime years, though we of course don't have the stats for those. But Thurmond's BPG in his final four seasons decline as you would expect for a player at the end of his career -- 2.9, 2.4, 1.3, 1.7.

Alonzo Mourning had remarkably steady BPG over the course of his career, with a high of 3.9 and a career average of 2.8. He obviously had to deal with his kidney issues in the second half of his career, but other than 2003-04, right after missing the entire 2002-03 season, he did really well -- in fact, his last four seasons were the four highest blocks/36 minutes of his career. Here are Mourning's reb/36 minutes in his last four seasons with the percentage showing how that compares to his best season (11.9 reb/36 in 2000-01).

10.2 - 86%
9.9 - 83%
8.0 - 67%
8.6 - 72%

Here's Thurmond's reb/36 in his last four seasons compared to his best season (18.2 in 1967-68).

12.8 - 70%
11.8 - 65%
10.7 - 59%
13.5 - 74%

The thing is, after Mourning's kidney transplant, he missed a lot of games, but when he was well enough to play, he played reduced minutes and was able to be remarkably productive when looking at his per-36 stats.

Here's some other info to look at.

Thurmond career -- 964 games, 35,881 minutes, 37.2 MPG
Mourning career -- 686 games, 25,975 minutes, 31.0 MPG

Thurmond last four seasons -- 269 games, 7,609 minutes, 28.2 MPG
Mourning last four seasons -- 186 games, 3,508 minutes, 18.9 MPG

The end of Thurmond's career followed a path you'd more typically expect with reduced minutes and reduced productivity, but his limitations were related to the accumulation of injuries and the toll that had taken on his body, which he was able to generally able to play through, though not as productively. By the time Thurmond began his last four seasons, he'd already played 11 more games and 2,297 more minutes than Mourning would play in his career.

Mark Eaton was an excellent shotblocker, averaging 3.5 blocks over his career with a high of 5.6 in 1984-85 and four other seasons over 4 BPG. His career follows the typical arc you'd expect, with prime years followed by a steep decline. He was remarkably healthy over his 11 seasons, probably because he relied on his sheer size (7'4" and not skinny), not athleticism. He was the immovable object in the middle of Utah's defense. He was an okay rebounder and poor scorer. His job was to concentrate on the defensive end, be big, and block the shot of normal-sized humans (by NBA standards, anyway) who dared to shoot inside, and he usually blocked shots without leaving his feet.

I have no way to prove that Thurmond in his prime blocked more shots than Eaton, but Thurmond was long, athletic, and covered a lot of ground, especially compared to Eaton. I'm confident in arguing that Thurmond was a better shotblocker in his prime than the floor-bound Eaton; if we only had the stats for Thurmond.

David Robinson is the most similar to Thurmond of this group, a long, lean, athletic player with a defensive mindset, and he and Thurmond played a similar number of games and minutes. Robinson had a high of 4.5 BPG in his third season. Both of them averaged 2.1 BPG in their final four seasons.

Tim Duncan averaged 2.0 BPG his last four seasons, but thanks to Pop's management, he was remarkably productive those last four seasons, considering Duncan's career BPG is 2.17 and his high was 2.9. Duncan's fourth-to-last season, he actually had his highest blocks/36 of his career. He used his length and intelligence to block shots very effectively in his later years. Thurmond did the same, but he was a far more effective shotblocker in his prime by using his athleticism.

Here is a list of all-time leaders in blocks per game.

1. Eaton - 3.50
2. Manute Bol - 3.34
3. Olajuwon - 3.08
4. Robinson - 2.99
5. Elmore Smith - 2.90
6. Mourning - 2.81
7. Mutombo - 2.75
8. Jabbar - 2.57

It's no surprise to me that of the six players who averaged 2.0 blocks or more per game in their last four seasons, three are in the top six on the all-time list. Thurmond's BPG of 2.1 in his last four seasons would put him 21st, right behind Duncan and ahead of guys like Dwight Howard (1.99, 21st), DeAndre Jordan (1.77, 30th), and Kevin Garnett (1.39, 83rd). And that's the old, broken down Nate Thurmond.

As for Wilt, he was a tremendous shotblocker early in his career, but as he bulked up to withstand the pounding he took, he played a much slower and more floor-bound game. In the video of game 7 of the 1969 finals, Russell looks significantly more spry than Wilt, though Russell retired after that game and Wilt went on to play four more seasons. Wilt was still able to block shots, but nothing like he had early in his career. Thurmond slowed down the last few years due to injury, but he had a much longer shotblocking prime compared to Wilt.

I'm still quite comfortable arguing that Thurmond belongs just behind Russell when it comes to blocking shots. He was great at it.

The problem here is a lack of clarity and clearness in criteria - what is meant by second only to Russell when it comes to blocking shots.

Is it an attempt at projecting career total blocked shots. If so is that the correct metric (when 60s totals would be inflated by pace)? Is it the percentage of opponents shots directly blocked or altered (which would neutralize pace and also neutralize minutes and leap Bol right up). Is it including indirect alterations whereby the player acts as a deterent or makes people take more difficult shots? Is it just defensive impact (amongst those who achieved it primarily through blocking shots and the threat thereof)? It's hard to debate when one doesn't know what is being debated.

Then too the way you apply argumentation has some issues for me.

There's begging the question on how to interpret era adjustments (i.e. less minutes in older eras, where longevity was more difficult, is acceptable as equal to more in later eras - not a stance I'm entirely unsympathetic to, but you can't assume it for all, and to the extent you embed it in your reasoning, the more ... well it's just difficult if others don't share that). So there's that thinking which makes you say ... well it's the last 4 years which is most important ... except for Nance, the one one player with a younger final 4 years - his is an anomoly. It's not exactly consistent (and how can we be certain that another player isn't anomolous the other way and got far more in their prime than their last four years ... Olajuwon perhaps, just as one possibility).

All the Mourning data is interpreted one way ... Mourning rebounded proportionally more in his late career so Mourning's last years are too favourable to him. The alternate interpretation is, even when Mourning maintained a proportionately large rebounding burden he was able to contest a lot of shots, moreso than you would expect others to do. Mourning played less minutes ... Thurmond played more ... went through more so is better. Except you've denied that same advantage to all other players by selecting the final four years. Also Mourning was blocking more shots in raw terms whilst playing less minutes in those final four years ... and his minutes disadvantage proportionally to Thurmond, shrinks when you go to full career stats (in the final four years Mourning - whilst blocking more shots - is playing 67.0212766% of the mpg of Thurmond - for his career he played 83.3333333% and presumably that goes up if you look just at the career up to the final four years ...) so following that trajectory Thurmond's disadvantage would only increase as Mourning plays more minutes. And whether or that that's true, or whether Mourning is another late-career outlier, the last four years (with over 2bpg) is your methodology, it takes out a number of players who ranked above Thurmond with an alternate one, and it feels like there's a pick and choose element to what type of reasoning is applied, rather than a consistent process (to be fair an element of this is the absenece of data for Thurmond, but still it feels more like an advocacy for a liked player rather than a more neutral toned, "this is the evidence for how I came to rate Thurmond as I do").

Mark Eaton ... this section seemingly boils down to ... Mark Eaton wasn't athletic and I think Thurmond was better. Which are respectively true and an acceptable opinion. I don't think they're evidence or particularly persuasive though.

(Also there's the - I think unstated - assumption that no other (non-Russell) pre-boxscore blocks era player was blocking as much/well as Thurmond. Chamberlain comes to mind as at very least a possibility, and he's the one you address, though again I'm not certain there's a lot to it ... and then the further back you go the harder it is to be confident we aren't missing someone - it's hard to know the further you go back ... but once cases are being built with a bunch of data missing it raises possibilities of earlier guys - admittedly this is somewhat more devil's advocate, the case on Chamberlain though would be an issue though).

In defending a fairly bold absolute (Thurmond "belongs just behind Russell when it comes to blocking shots") and in a fairly scattergun way, at least from my own reaction, you risk making people start forming arguments against you and thus start thinking against Thurmond.

FWIW, I'm never sure on Thurmond. I feel like he's got a large range on how good he might have been. If you think he could have been say a 90% version of Bill Russell who happened to be misfortunate to arrive later (and on a different team) ... well some have Russell number one. So maybe a top 20-30 case would be plausible depending on your criteria (plucking the range off the top of my head here). In terms of boxscore composites ... he's fairly unimpressive, though obviously this is without defensive numbers. It just feels like theres a fair range on what that defensive impact might be and it's hard to be confident on that.

[edited to complete the section on Wilt and other pre-data blocks guys]
penbeast0

Post#14 » by penbeast0 » Fri Dec 1, 2017 9:30 pm

I will get the runoff up in either 2 hours or, if I miss that deadline, about 8 hours hopefully.

Sam Jones 1 (penbeast0)
Kevin Johnson 1 (pandrade83)
Bob McAdoo 1 (Clyde Frazier)
Nate Thurmond 2 (Outside, trex_8063)

Spoiler:
eminence wrote:.

penbeast0 wrote:.

Clyde Frazier wrote:.

PaulieWal wrote:.

Colbinii wrote:.

Texas Chuck wrote:.

drza wrote:.

Dr Spaceman wrote:.

fpliii wrote:.

euroleague wrote:.

pandrade83 wrote:.

Hornet Mania wrote:.

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:.

SactoKingsFan wrote:.

Blackmill wrote:.

JordansBulls wrote:.

RSCS3_ wrote:.

BasketballFan7 wrote:.

micahclay wrote:.

ardee wrote:.

RCM88x wrote:.

Tesla wrote:.

Joao Saraiva wrote:.

LA Bird wrote:.

MyUniBroDavis wrote:.

kayess wrote:.

2klegend wrote:.

MisterHibachi wrote:.

70sFan wrote:.

mischievous wrote:.

Doctor MJ wrote:.

Dr Positivity wrote:.

Jaivl wrote:.

Bad Gatorade wrote:.

andrewww wrote:.

Moonbeam wrote:.

Cyrusman122000 wrote:.

Winsome Gerbil wrote:.

Narigo wrote:.

wojoaderge wrote:.

TrueLAfan wrote:.

90sAllDecade wrote:.

Outside wrote:.

scabbarista wrote:.

janmagn wrote:.

Arman_tanzarian wrote:.

oldschooled wrote:.

Pablo Novi wrote:.

dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,507

Post#15 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Dec 1, 2017 9:45 pm

Vote Sam Jones - 2nd best player and go to scorer for the celtic's dynasty. I can add more later just saw this was expiring.

Alt - Bob McAdoo
DQuinn1575
Sixth Man
And1: 705

Post#16 » by DQuinn1575 » Fri Dec 1, 2017 9:52 pm

[quote]

-- Age 30 or more

1. Larry Nance - 2.6
2. Alonzo Mourning - 2.3
3. Mark Eaton - 2.2
4. David Robinson - 2.1
5. Thurmond - 2.1
6. Tim Duncan - 2.0

[quote]

Last 4 seasons compares a 32-35 year old Thurmond against a 36-39 year old Hakeem 36-39 year old Duncan and 38-41 year old Jabbar, despite the fact that each of them played way more career minutes than Nate. Also Mutombo was 39-42 years old.

So Nate blocked shots as well as those guys when they were 4 years older than him - we can say Nate would have been top 1o in blocks, but I see little evidence to say he would be #2.
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by Outside » Fri Dec 1, 2017 11:12 pm

Owly wrote:In defending a fairly bold absolute (Thurmond "belongs just behind Russell when it comes to blocking shots") and in a fairly scattergun way, at least from my own reaction, you risk making people start forming arguments against you and thus start thinking against Thurmond.

FWIW, I'm never sure on Thurmond. I feel like he's got a large range on how good he might have been. If you think he could have been say a 90% version of Bill Russell who happened to be misfortunate to arrive later (and on a different team) ... well some have Russell number one. So maybe a top 20-30 case would be plausible depending on your criteria (plucking the range off the top of my head here). In terms of boxscore composites ... he's fairly unimpressive, though obviously this is without defensive numbers. It just feels like theres a fair range on what that defensive impact might be and it's hard to be confident on that.

It wasn't my intention to position my argument as some absolute, because we don't have the data for any such statement. I believe that statement based on my familiarity with Thurmond and testimonials by the players from that era, both teammates and opponents, but that's my opinion, not an absolute.

For blocked shot data, all we have are Thurmond's last four seasons. I attempted to put that in context in a way that supports my argument, DQuinn responded with a counterargument based solely on age, and I countered that by saying that last four seasons of career may be a better gauge since players in Thurmond's day played higher minutes and retired at an earlier age. I presented that query and looked at Thurmond relative to others in that list. Seemed like a reasonable back and forth.

Thurmond's situation is an intrinsic one for this project because much of his value was on defense, but there are hardly any basic stats to support that value, let alone the advanced metrics (or video) that we have for later players. Even primitive metrics such as PER and Drtg are a mirage for players of that era because they omit basic components or merely convert team performance into an individual ranking.

I've argued that the greats from the 60s are recognized for their greatness despite the lack of data -- the top 15 includes Russell, Wilt, Oscar, and West -- but that the lack of data becomes a damning argument against the tier below those greats. That is particularly true for a defensive player like Thurmond, where the available offensive stats are used against him to portray him as abominably inefficient, his rebounding stats are dismissed by pace and era arguments, and the stats that would prove out his value, such as blocked shots, steals, and turnovers, don't exist.

I believe in Thurmond's value as an all-time great, and I think he belongs somewhere in the 30s or 40s on this list. I realize that the majority of others here don't share that view, and I've avoided repeating "Thurmond, Thurmond" on every thread. I make my case, I let it go for a while, then I bring him back up again. I'm sensitive to becoming a shrill voice that turns people off to arguments in Thurmond's favor. Despite that, you think my arguments in this thread are so specious as to turn people off to Thurmond.

As someone who believes in Thurmond's value on this list, I don't know what else I'm supposed to do. I suppose I could accept that most people here never saw him play, that most participants in the project base their rankings on advanced metrics, and just watch Thurmond fall until he drops off the list altogether.

I'm disappointed that he's fallen so far as others I consider less worthy have been voted in. My guess is that's a common experience, as I know others have promoted favorite players for a long time before seeing them voted in. But the main value for this project is the discussion, and my hope is that I could present a case for Thurmond that would get others to consider him more than they might have otherwise. If anyone is predisposed to think against Thurmond, that's fine, and there's not much I can do about that. However, I'm hopeful that I've been successful to some degree with others, otherwise I'm wasting a lot of time, both mine and everyone else's.
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#18 » by Outside » Fri Dec 1, 2017 11:18 pm

DQuinn1575 wrote:Last 4 seasons compares a 32-35 year old Thurmond against a 36-39 year old Hakeem 36-39 year old Duncan and 38-41 year old Jabbar, despite the fact that each of them played way more career minutes than Nate. Also Mutombo was 39-42 years old.

So Nate blocked shots as well as those guys when they were 4 years older than him - we can say Nate would have been top 1o in blocks, but I see little evidence to say he would be #2.

You're right that it's not a perfect comparison, but I thought it was better than the initial one since the number of minutes on Thurmond's legs by the time he reached age 32 was more than those other guys. Kareem and Mutombo deserve credit for longevity, but in Mutombo's case, his advantage over Thurmond is in seasons, not minutes. Their minutes are about the same.

It's fair to not accept my argument for Thurmond second only to Russell as a shotblocker. I wish we had the data, but we don't. I just tried to put what little data we have for Thurmond in a more favorable (and, in my view, fairer) light.
penbeast0

Post#19 » by penbeast0 » Fri Dec 1, 2017 11:33 pm

60s RUNOFF, SAM JONES v. NATE THURMOND

Sam Jones 2 (penbeast0. dhsilv2)
Kevin Johnson 1 (pandrade83)
Bob McAdoo 1 (Clyde Frazier)
Nate Thurmond 2 (Outside, trex_8063)

KJ and McAdoo are eliminated leaving a runoff between Sam Jones and Nate Thurmond. We are getting a reasonable consensus despite (because of?) the small number of votes on this one as 3 of the 4 candidates getting votes are also getting second place votes. Anyone who didn't vote will be welcome to vote in the runoff as well. Good luck.

Spoiler:
eminence wrote:.

penbeast0 wrote:.

Clyde Frazier wrote:.

PaulieWal wrote:.

Colbinii wrote:.

Texas Chuck wrote:.

drza wrote:.

Dr Spaceman wrote:.

fpliii wrote:.

euroleague wrote:.

pandrade83 wrote:.

Hornet Mania wrote:.

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:.

SactoKingsFan wrote:.

Blackmill wrote:.

JordansBulls wrote:.

RSCS3_ wrote:.

BasketballFan7 wrote:.

micahclay wrote:.

ardee wrote:.

RCM88x wrote:.

Tesla wrote:.

Joao Saraiva wrote:.

LA Bird wrote:.

MyUniBroDavis wrote:.

kayess wrote:.

2klegend wrote:.

MisterHibachi wrote:.

70sFan wrote:.

mischievous wrote:.

Doctor MJ wrote:.

Dr Positivity wrote:.

Jaivl wrote:.

Bad Gatorade wrote:.

andrewww wrote:.

Moonbeam wrote:.

Cyrusman122000 wrote:.

Winsome Gerbil wrote:.

Narigo wrote:.

wojoaderge wrote:.

TrueLAfan wrote:.

90sAllDecade wrote:.

Outside wrote:.

scabbarista wrote:.

janmagn wrote:.

Arman_tanzarian wrote:.

oldschooled wrote:.

Pablo Novi wrote:.

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,479

Post#20 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Dec 1, 2017 11:48 pm

Vote: Nate Thurmond

I'm always torn on Nate because I think he'd have been significantly better if teams had simply realized he wasn't a scorer. Still though he was an all-time great defender and he had major impact for a long time.

I've never been that big of a believer in Sam Jones. Not saying he was awful, but the Celtic offense was basically incompetent the whole time he was playing. Yes that was in part related to strategy but still, Jones is a big deal because he was the lead scorer on some years of a dynasty, and really, I think there's a lot of guys who could be the lead scorer on a dynasty if you're letting your offense suck that bad.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!

Return to Player Comparisons