Backpicks GOAT: The 40 Best Careers in NBA History | 4/13 - The Value of Longevity & Defense

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Re: Backpicks GOAT: The 40 Best Careers in NBA History (ElGee) (2/15 Update) 

Post#581 » by E-Balla » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:55 pm

colts18 wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
colts18 wrote:
Im completely disagree with this. That was an evenly matched series. The warriors were legit that year but no one knew it because of Mark Jackson. They had a 5 SRS and it was the same core as the team that won the title the next season.

Draymond, Klay, and Barnes took leaps forward in 2015 and it wasn't all Kerr. Barnes was mostly Kerr but Draymond and Klay definitely were completely different guys.

They definitely took a step, but it was still the same core that won the title. You could see the signs of them being great (5 SRS. They had a crazy good SRS when healthy). In fact, a lot of statistical systems had the Warriors as preseason favorites in 2015 despite not knowing that Draymond would emerge or that Kerr would make Barnes a better player.

I get that but they still weren't close to the Clippers.
mischievous
General Manager
And1: 3,482

Post#582 » by mischievous » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:28 pm

E-Balla wrote:
colts18 wrote:
mischievous wrote:Hm, so pretty much no mention at all of Paul's playoff durability issues, and how that strained his team's chances of advancement on many occasions.

2014- Hurt his hamstring, still manged to beat the Warriors but the series had no business going to 7 in the first place.

Im completely disagree with this. That was an evenly matched series. The warriors were legit that year but no one knew it because of Mark Jackson. They had a 5 SRS and it was the same core as the team that won the title the next season.

Draymond, Klay, and Barnes took leaps forward in 2015 and it wasn't all Kerr. Barnes was mostly Kerr but Draymond and Klay definitely were completely different guys.

Also, the Warriors were without Bogut in that series i know some will downplay his value but at the time he was their best defender.
mischievous
General Manager
And1: 3,482

Post#583 » by mischievous » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:34 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
mischievous wrote:
E-Balla wrote:CP3 over Wade is crazy to me.

People don’t care enough about winning sadly.

Chris Paul would seem to have a very similar career arc to Wade except instead of end of prime Shaq he got pre-prime Chandler and past his prime Peja. And instead of peak Lebron and prime Bosh he got Blake Griffin and DeAndre.

Now we are finally seeing Paul play with a top 5 player himself and what we are seeing is that when both he and Harden play the team is essentially unbeatable.

Now you might can make some arguments for Wade over Paul, and I'd join you btw with Wade still ahead of Paul, but winning isn't a very convincing argument to me at all.

I’m absolutely sick of this hearing this garbage and you guys are gonna make me pull an Ardee.

Griffin in 2014+15 wasn’t any worse than 06 Shaq. And DeAndre was better than anyone on the Heat minus Wade+Shaq. Also Wade has shown he can hold up for 4 playoff series. Paul often hasn’t held up for even 2 rounds without getting hurt.

Now do you want to keep downplaying Wade’s accomplishments and keep giving Paul excuses, or just accept that both had injury issues but Wade was the cleary better player?
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#584 » by E-Balla » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:34 pm

Reservoirdawgs wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Draymond, Klay, and Barnes took leaps forward in 2015 and it wasn't all Kerr. Barnes was mostly Kerr but Draymond and Klay definitely were completely different guys.

Draymond was completely different because of Kerr and his new system based around Curry's game and Green's swiss-army knife skillset. His minutes increased by ten minutes a game and started every game compared to the previous year. His TS% skyrocketed from the year before, which I imagine can be partly due to him just getting better but I'd also give credit to his increased role on the team.

For Klay, I would say he has certainly benefited from the system. His TS% jumped in 2014-15 after Kerr changed the "system" that Mark Jackson had implemented and hasn't looked back since. His 3PT% honestly hasn't varied an incredible amount since then...his 2PT% is what has noticeably improved. It certainly helps when Curry is drawing defenders all across the court.

Draymond Green was 44% on wide open 2 pointers in 2014. In 2015 he was 53% on very tightly guarded 2 pointers (inside of 2 feet) and 62% on tightly guarded shots (2-4 feet). Klay went from 51% on open 2s in 2014 to 54% in 2015. We can compare that to other guys on the team to see if the new system made a difference. Steph in 2014 was 55% on all open 2s and in 2015 he was 54%. Andre Iguodala was the exact same percentage in both 2014 and 15. Bogut was way higher under Mark Jackson in 2014. David Lee was the exact same percentage in both 2014 and 15.

They clearly improved a lot. In 2015 Draymond wasn't really doing the swiss army knife thing any more than he did under Mark Jackson he just got more PT and since he improved it was justified. And Klay's amount of isolations and unassisted 2 pointers shot up in 2015 but he got more efficient. That looks like legit improvement inside the arc to me.
KTM_2813
Pro Prospect
And1: 725

Post#585 » by KTM_2813 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:51 pm

I love CP3, but I think his injury issues deserved more attention in this analysis. It feels like the guy's been injured in half the postseasons he's played, which matters to me. It sucks, but it's a sad reality of the game.
sansterre wrote:The success of a star's season is:

Individual performance + Teammate performance - Opposition +/- Luck
O_6
Rookie
And1: 1,509

Post#586 » by O_6 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:12 pm

Really enjoyed the Wade and Paul write-ups. I feel like the Wade/Paul/Nash group is so damn tough to figure out, I'm guessing Nash is going to be coming up soon with a CORP-score very close to Wade/Paul.

Young D-Wade was one of the most exciting players the league has ever seen. I used to love watching YouTube videos of him back in '05, he played with so much passion and ferocity. He posterized so many big-men his first couple of years in the league, I'll never forget that facial he had on Jermaine O'Neal in the playoffs.

I'm glad that ElGee used the term "Runningback" to describe Wade, because that's always been how I've described him. His combination of power/quickness, his wide frame, his low center of gravity, the slithery way he'd navigate on drives at times; so many traits reminiscent of an NFL RB. And just like an NFL RB, his star faded quickly.

I still have Wade ahead of CP3 by a tiny amount but considering the way both are playing these days, I expect Paul to pass him on my list sometime soon. I'm also fine with giving Nash the edge over CP3 for now, but I feel like CP3's performance on the Rockets this year next to Harden is really convincing me that he is simply a better overall player than Nash ever was even if Nash's shooting made him a more dangerous offensive player.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,834

Post#587 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:20 pm

mischievous wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
mischievous wrote:People don’t care enough about winning sadly.

Chris Paul would seem to have a very similar career arc to Wade except instead of end of prime Shaq he got pre-prime Chandler and past his prime Peja. And instead of peak Lebron and prime Bosh he got Blake Griffin and DeAndre.

Now we are finally seeing Paul play with a top 5 player himself and what we are seeing is that when both he and Harden play the team is essentially unbeatable.

Now you might can make some arguments for Wade over Paul, and I'd join you btw with Wade still ahead of Paul, but winning isn't a very convincing argument to me at all.

I’m absolutely sick of this hearing this garbage and you guys are gonna make me pull an Ardee.

Griffin in 2014+15 wasn’t any worse than 06 Shaq. And DeAndre was better than anyone on the Heat minus Wade+Shaq. Also Wade has shown he can hold up for 4 playoff series. Paul often hasn’t held up for even 2 rounds without getting hurt.

Now do you want to keep downplaying Wade’s accomplishments and keep giving Paul excuses, or just accept that both had injury issues but Wade was the cleary better player?

I said I'd take Wade over Paul mate. You know, "garbage". :roll:
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,834

Post#588 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:09 am

mischievous wrote:
Griffin in 2014+15 wasn’t any worse than 06 Shaq.

First, Wade has made it no further than Paul without a 1st team all-NBA teammate. He always had an elite player when he went deep. This is no shame, but its important context when you want to compare him to CP3.

But this is 06 Shaq:

1st team all-NBA 20/9 with 2 blocks, led league in FG%, 59% TS
Put up 20/10 on elite efficiency through the East Finals, obviously struggled against a Dallas team with 2 bigs and a defense designed to stop him(you will take this as an insult to Wade, but its factual, so you will just have to deal with me including it).

Blake in 14/15 is 22/8/5 55% TS not as good defensively as Shaq. 3rd team all-NBA Was terrific in the playoffs, and lo and behold and the Clippers beat the Spurs and took the Rockets to 7.

Funny how having good teammates helps with winning. Again no knock on Wade, but this isn't Dirk winning without an elite teammate year after year or Dream in 94. He wins when he plays with a top 5 guy(really a top 1 guy and then one year with Shaq).

Let's give Paul a couple years with Harden(and maybe Lebron?) and then we can start with "winning" as the determining factor talk. But Wade never proved he could carry a team on his own. Even in other seasons you pointed out recently were as good as any player in the league. So Wade at his best can't carry role players the way some other guys can. So why a different standard for Paul?
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
NinjaSheppard
Sixth Man
And1: 1,404

Post#589 » by NinjaSheppard » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:12 am

Interesting

I do find it weird that Paul's 2016 season somehow gives a team less of a chance to win a title than his 2010 season. That doesn't make any sense.

To elaborate. The 2016 season ends up having zero value because he breaks his hand and is out 3-4 weeks in the playoffs which dooms the Clippers. 2010 season Chris Paul has meniscus surgery and comes back for 7 games where he is among the worst players in the league because he rushed back. The team is terrible when he plays and he can't move. This ends up complicating his recovery time and it takes him two years to return to form.

Chris Paul was clearly a great player in 2016 who got hurt at an inopportune time. Chris Paul wasn't useful at all in 2010. I don't get how the latter has more value. Additionally, if you compare injury years with someone like Robertson who misses the playoffs because his team doesn't have the required record (and yet retains full value) the methodology has issues.

If Chris Paul's Clippers won 30 games that year ElGee would have given him a season value comparable to 2012-15. It just seems weird to have a methodology where Player A and Player B can have comparable seasons and player A can be viewed as much more valuable because it is unknown if he would get hurt in the playoffs (as he doesn't make it) while player B gets hurt in the playoffs.

The other thing is that I do think CP3 gets a bit overrated here because it really seems like he only gets docked for his no brainer playoff injury (when he had one in 2009 and one in 2012) that hurt his value as well.
NinjaSheppard
Sixth Man

Post#590 » by NinjaSheppard » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:42 am

mischievous wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
colts18 wrote:

Also, the Warriors were without Bogut in that series i know some will downplay his value but at the time he was their best defender.

Are we really going to ignore the elephant in the room in regards to this series?
Bad Gatorade
Senior
And1: 1,815

Post#591 » by Bad Gatorade » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:55 am

As resident CP3 fan, I'll offer my thoughts -

Most of the CP3 write up is quite good, IMO. ElGee does a good job of listing his general strengths/weaknesses, including some that can go under the radar in general analysis (eg holding the ball too long, leading to no "backup option" shots).

My main points of contention with the write up occur in 3 areas -

"He threw “bad” pass turnovers at half the rate of someone like Steve Nash, which, counterintuitively, might have held him back."

I do agree with the idea that assists to layups/dunks are "better" assists, and that the top tier guys (e.g. Nash/Magic) had better passing vision than Paul. So, in a sense, he might be somewhat held back offensively but I think ElGee glosses over the defensive benefit of this type of play - passing out for jump shots and reducing turnovers may actually have defensive benefits, especially with regard to fast break points (which are a highly efficient play, so good defensive teams are good at reducing fast breaks).

Check out these numbers -

09 Hornets - 7th best
10 Hornets - 20th best (Paul's injury)
11 Hornets - 4th best
12 Hornets - 16th best
11 Clippers - 21st best
12 Clippers - 8th best

Those numbers are for fast break points conceded, and I don't think it's a coincidence at all that they seem to be linked to Paul.

Furthermore, I've checked out tracking data (1997-2017) on passes to assists/dunks vs layups and even though he takes less "risky" passes than the top end guys in this category (e.g. Nash, Harden, Curry), he's still the clear post-1996 GOAT of "expected turnovers vs actual turnovers" based on passing. His dominance here is unreal. So, I concede that it might limit his offence, but I feel like this impact is glossed over on defence, and helps explain how he's been able to accrue such ridiculously high DRAPM numbers in recent years.

I think ElGee was a bit harsh looking at 2009-10 Paul too. I do recall the event he's talking about, but it's also interesting to note that for the season, 37 games of "good" Paul and 8 games of "abysmal, still injured Paul" still had a team On/Off of +5.7, and an On of +0.3. Collison had -4.2 and -4.9 respectively. So I can understand that the difference in role might influence these numbers, but Paul's right at the top of the team here (quite comfortably - even guys like West/Okafor were "net negatives" here).

He mentions the team getting worse in 09 compared to 08, but the scoring margin with Paul (+8.1 in 2008, +6.5 in 2009) only gets slightly worse but his On/Off ballooned from +9.0 to +19.6). Not that he's incorrect about the team getting worse, but the change in most impact/scoring margin measures clearly seems to prefer 09 Paul.

I would also have liked to have seen a bit more detail on Paul's injuries and how they impact playoff odds.

Overall though, solid write up. I think I have Paul around the same as ElGee, although I'd hazard a guess that I view him as a higher impact player, but dock him slightly more from injuries (I'm very high on healthy Paul, for those that don't know).
I use a lot of parentheses when I post (it's a bad habit)
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Post#592 » by therealbig3 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:26 am

Doesn't surprise me too much that Paul ranks over Wade (barely). He wasn't that much worse peak vs peak, and has better longevity at this point. There was some Wade discussion going on earlier, and I just think it's crazy to act like 14-16 Wade added any real career value, he just wasn't that good of a player any more. And just like Paul, Wade has a bunch of years affected by injuries (05, 07, 08, 09, 12, 13). 06, 10, and 11 are really the main years where injuries weren't an issue.

Don't think I'd agree with Paul over Wade, because I do think injuries affected Paul a lot too, but there are enough problems with Wade's longevity to argue Paul over Wade tbh. It doesn't surprise me.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,752

Post#593 » by eminence » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:43 am

Bad Gatorade wrote:I'm very high on healthy Paul.

Woah... Since when?
I bought a boat.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,789

Post#594 » by Fadeaway_J » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:56 am

eminence wrote:
Bad Gatorade wrote:I'm very high on healthy Paul.

Woah... Since when?

That one caught me completely off guard
therealbig3
RealGM

Post#595 » by therealbig3 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:01 am

NinjaSheppard wrote:
mischievous wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Draymond, Klay, and Barnes took leaps forward in 2015 and it wasn't all Kerr. Barnes was mostly Kerr but Draymond and Klay definitely were completely different guys.

Are we really going to ignore the elephant in the room in regards to this series?

Are you referring to the Sterling fiasco?
NinjaSheppard
Sixth Man

Post#596 » by NinjaSheppard » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:25 am

therealbig3 wrote:
NinjaSheppard wrote:
mischievous wrote:Also, the Warriors were without Bogut in that series i know some will downplay his value but at the time he was their best defender.

Yeah. Pretty hard to criticize a team or any player on it with all of that going on.
therealbig3
RealGM

Post#597 » by therealbig3 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:10 am

E-Balla wrote:
colts18 wrote:

They definitely took a step, but it was still the same core that won the title. You could see the signs of them being great (5 SRS. They had a crazy good SRS when healthy). In fact, a lot of statistical systems had the Warriors as preseason favorites in 2015 despite not knowing that Draymond would emerge or that Kerr would make Barnes a better player.

A 7-8 SRS team going 7 games against a 5-6 SRS team isn't some unheard of thing, or really all that disappointing. Especially with the huge off the court distraction they had going on.

colts is right, that Warriors core was clearly talented enough to go toe to toe with anyone, they were just held back by their coach for the most part.
Missing Rings
Bench Warmer
And1: 774

Post#598 » by Missing Rings » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:34 am

mischievous wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
colts18 wrote:

Few things...

1. Andre Igoudala was a much better defender in 2014 than Bogut. Let's not forget Igoudala was still in/near his "physical prime" in 2014, a far cry to current Igoudala. You don't have to look far into the future to see how well he did on LeBron James in the 2015 NBA Finals, only a year after this series.

2. The Warriors were 7.1 Points per 100 better on defense with Igoudala than without him. The Warriors were only 3.2 Points per 100 better on defense with Bogut player (many times substituting for David Lee :o ).

3. The Warriors were 11-4 without Bogut on the season before the Clippers series.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#599 » by E-Balla » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:54 am

NinjaSheppard wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:
NinjaSheppard wrote:

Yeah. Pretty hard to criticize a team or any player on it with all of that going on.

I criticize them all for stepping on the floor. Beyond that when they decided to play they decided to leave all that off the court.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#600 » by E-Balla » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:57 am

therealbig3 wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
colts18 wrote:

A 7-8 SRS team going 7 games against a 5-6 SRS team isn't some unheard of thing, or really all that disappointing. Especially with the huge off the court distraction they had going on.

colts is right, that Warriors core was clearly talented enough to go toe to toe with anyone, they were just held back by their coach for the most part.

Blake was 3rd in MVP voting and CP3 was an undisputed top 5 player. Plenty of people would take both CP3 and Blake over Curry that year. They shouldn't have made it to 7. Go look up the healthy Clippers SRS.

Return to Player Comparisons