Pablo Novi wrote:.

john248 wrote:.

mdonnelly1989 wrote:.

Senior wrote:.

twolves97 wrote:.

CodeBreaker wrote:.

JoeMalburg wrote:.

dhsilv2 wrote:.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Re: RealGM 2017 Top 100 List #70 

Post#2 » by penbeast0 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 10:57 pm

Moncrief is my favorite left, though his window is so friggin short. He basically took a similarly talented Milwaukee team farther than Nique ever took Atlanta even beating Bird's Celtics superteam before running into the fo fo fo Sixers. Probably the best man defender on the perimeter of all time; Jordan, when fired up played at that level but Moncrief played at it consistently. And that defense was there even if the offense fell off. That said, Sid was also a terrific offensive player capable of going for 20ppg without being a featured iso star. (Which to me is harder than scoring 25ppg on a team that builds its offense to feature you.) Not a player that ever showed much of a 3 point shot but his ability to draw fouls on opposing big men is something that the Iverson fans were talking about previously so his very high foul draw would tend to counterbalance that. Walton just didn't play enough for me to list him in any top 100 careers though his peak was terrific. For a 1 year peak, the best is Walton, but over a 5 year prime, it's clearly Moncrief. Grant Hill is very similar except that (a) he is not as good as Moncrief in scoring or defense which are the main function of a wing, though a better playmaker and rebounder, and (b) Hill had a nice second career as a decent player who didn't move the needle much.

Also looking at Bobby Jones and James Worthy . Don't see Arizin over Daniels so he isn't there for me yet. Jones is the NBA's all time leader in 1st team All-Defense awards (including 2 in ABA). Superefficient, nice midrange j, good passer, didn't create for himself much. Worthy is a guy who can create for himself from the post and one of the great open court finishers ever. A bit less range than Jones and a weaker rebounder, also a decent passer. His calling card are some terrific playoff scoring games. Have to add Shawn Marion to that list as well.

Mel Daniels or Bob McAdoo are probably the best big men left. Both MVP winners, Daniels multiple times but in a weaker league. McAdoo clearly the stronger offensive player with his greater shooting range and mobility; Daniels clearly the stronger defensive player with his ferocity and physical play. McAdoo wore out his welcome quickly in both New York and Boston which seems to be a problem (his trade from Buffalo was more John Y. Brown than him from what I have heard or seen; Brown also traded Adrian Dantley and Moses Malone that year for very little). Between the two, I have to go with Daniels who proved repeatedly (3 time ABA champion, twice as best player) that his style of play correlated with winning titles. I tend to value defense, particularly for big men, and Mel was basically the original Alonzo Mourning with more rebounding, less shotblocking, and in a weaker league.

Vote: Sidney Moncrief
Alternate: Mel Daniels
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
pandrade83
Starter
And1: 604

Post#3 » by pandrade83 » Sat Dec 9, 2017 4:06 am

[quote="pandrade83"]Primary: Grant Hill
Alternate: Bob McAdoo

Grant Hill has better longevity than you think; he has 100 WS & 35 K minutes.

He has a really stellar 6 year run in Detroit where he averages 22-8-6 on 54% TS in an era where 51-52 was the norm and those numbers include his rookie year. Bringing him into the KJ/McAdoo/Sid comparison, he has the best 5 year unweighted BPM Score (5.7) and a PER on par with McAdoo (23.2 vs. 23.5). His 5 year WS (pro-rating '99) is 59. He has limited playoff data to go off of and he never got out of the 1st round in Detroit.

Detroit was miserable the year before he joined - 26/27 on SRS, winning 20 games. It was also their last year with Isiah. They jump up to 28 wins. The next year, Hill & Houston improve - and these are your two best players. Detroit wins 46 games and gets swept by Orlando. Hill plays great - 19-7-4 on 60% TS - the team is just way overmatched.

In '97 the team wins 54 games as Hill is a true offensive anchor and has a magnificent season. he gets 21-9-7 while also getting 2.4 combined stl/blk. He owns the Point Forward role on a team where a post-prime Joe Dumars & Otis Thorpe are your next best players & anchors the Pistons to #5 in Orating. They lose to the Hawks in a miserable series that no one should watch. Hill plays fine.

They lose Thorpe the next year & Dumars is cooked at this point - it's a garbage team surrounding Hill & they miss the playoffs. In '99, he drags the Pistons to 29-21 making the playoffs but again losing to the Hawks in 5 - just a bad matchup for them.

Detroit makes the playoffs gain the next year & Hill remains excellent (26-7-5) but they get beat in the first round & Hill shows the first signs of injury troubles. He plays 47 combined games over the next 4 years. In '05 at age 32, he finally makes a comeback. He has a nice little season for the Magic, making the all-star team as he averages 20-5-3. Over the next several years, he evolves into a nice 2/3 swing man. He plays intelligently, has TS#'s in the high 50's and averages around 13-5-3 through age 38 (2011). The post-prime element ends up giving him a WS edge on the prior trio.

His one year peak is just as good as any of the aforementioned trio & he has superior longevity. I'll get back to going to bat for that group soon enough, but this is a great player who gets lost in the shuffle because of injuries & playing for these garbage teams. Let's not punish his brilliance because of that.

This game clip really highlights the type of player he was in case you forget and/or were too young to see. Brings a lot to the table. He doesn't have many weaknesses except for an outside shot - he only shoots it when WIDE open.

Anyway, I hope the switch doesn't cause too many issues.

;t=244s

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kevin Johnson, Bob McAdoo, Sidney Moncrief, Mel Daniels & Paul Arizin are the next guys up who seem to move the needle enough where they can be the best player on a contender over a multi-year stretch who also had any kind of longevity.

I'm setting aside Arizin because of the 50's era for now & Daniels due to a combination of being unimpressed with his game tape & concerns that his best work was done before the ABA upped it's quality. I remember KJ, & I've watched some YouTube clips of McAdoo/Moncrief to feel like they're all 3 objectively good enough to succeed in any era.

So, KJ vs. McAdoo vs. Moncrief -

From a longevity standpoint, all have done "just enough" to warrant consideration here. Ironically enough, each finished with just about 90 WS (93 for KJ, 89 for Big Mac, 90 for Sid).

Given that, I'm really going to focus in on their best 5 years (89-92, 97 for KJ, '74-78 for McAdoo, '82-'86 for Sid). If you're picking these guys, it's not for longevity, so if we're going to pick primes, let's pick primes.

WS
McAdoo - 66
Sid - 62
KJ - 58

BPM - unweighted 5 yr avg
Sid - 5.2
McAdoo - 4.3
KJ - 3.8

PER - unweighted 5 yr avg
McAdoo - 23.5
KJ - 22
Sid - 20.5

Off reg season performance, McAdoo narrowly takes the edge over Sid with KJ bringing up the rear. Although it's noteworthy that strength of era is reverse of that order and the gap here isn't huge.

Playoffs

McAdoo - 30/13/3 , 3.1 combined blk/steal, 3.8 TOV (only '78), 52% TS
KJ - 21/11/4, 1.8 combined blk/steal, 3.8 TOV, 55% TS
Sid - 19/6/4, 1.9 combined blk/steal, 2.9 TOV, 57% TS

All seem to acquit themselves fairly well under the bright lights of the playoffs. Sid has (by far) the biggest drop-off in #'s, but I thought that his tape against rookie MJ is quite impressive defensively, so while I view him as a weaker playoff performer than the other two, the gap is small.

Impact on Winning & other thoughts

KJ shows up strong in the WOWY Data (#25) and is the best player on 4 teams that finish in the Top 5 on SRS. All of these teams have stronger offenses than defenses & KJ is the offensive anchor for that bunch from '89-'92 finishing 2nd, 3rd, 3rd & 5th in offensive rating.

He can reasonably be called the offensive anchor on the '94 squad which finished 1st in offensive rating and was the clear anchor in his last prime season in '97 for a team that finished 7th in offensive efficiency. Amongst players who averaged 20 pts/10 ast on 55+ TS he's in elite company with the Big O, Paul, Magic, Harden, Archibald ('73), Westbrook, Isiah & Deron Williams. Only the BIG O has more seasons of such caliber than KJ.

Buffalo was a dumpster fire before McAdoo hits his stride; other noteable roster changes include the loss of Elmore Smith & the gain of Jim McMillan. Once McAdoo hits his stride in '74, the Braves make the playoffs every year through '76, falling to the Eastern Conference Champ every time pushing the team to at least 6. In '77, Buffalo falls apart a bit - they go 8-12 with McAdoo & 22-40 without him & he's traded for the Knicks for John Gianelli & cash. Seems troubling. Buffalo retreats back to 50 loss territory after McAdoo leaves in 77 & again in 78.

The Knicks record doesn't improve much in '77, but their SRS jumps from -1 to flat from the prior year - they also have to replace Haywood. In '78, despite losing a post-prime Frazier for nothing the Knicks have their best record in 3 years, although the SRS falls back slightly. McAdoo leaves - on not great terms by all accounts the following year, & the Knicks collapse to a 50 loss team.

During this period, McAdoo wins MVP over Kareem, which seems noteworthy - from '74-'76 Buffalo is Top 5 in offensive efficiency and falls off a cliff without him (while also climbing a mountain once he hits his prime). New York's offensive efficiency goes from -0.3 in '76 to +0.6 in '77 to + 0.8 in '78 and then down to -1.6 without him. He later has a useful post prime with the Lakers as a high impact bench player.

The 30-12-55%+ TS club is him, Kareem, WIlt, Bellamy, Oscar & Moses. If you make it just 2 blocks a game, the club is safely, him with KAJ & Wilt.

Moncrief joins an already good but not great Bucks team that was winning in the high 40's & continue to do so when his prime ended. During the Moncrief prime when he led the Bucks in WS every year from '82-'86, the Bucks won an average of 54 games a year in the decisively harder conference, and had a pair of ECF appearances and made it to at least the 2nd round every year. They knocked off Philly with Barkley, Mo Cheeks & post prime DR J/Moses in '86 & swept Boston in '83. MIlwaukee was an average of -4.1 rel DRTG from '81-'86; a huge jump from the -0.2 from '78-'80 & the -1.5 that they were in '87-'89. This really highlights Moncrief's defensive impact and he's one of few perimeter players (especially at this stage) who can really anchor a defense. His 5 X All D & 2 X DPOY awards are backed up by the #'s listed previously.

Offensively, the relatively low usage rate (low 20's), keeps his impact from being too high but he's quite efficient, scoring in the low 20's while getting TS% rates right around 60%. He strikes me as quite likely the strongest ceiling raiser of the bunch, even as he is probably the worst floor raiser.

Of these 3 guys, I ultimately think any order is perfectly reasonable & I don't feel strongly about it. None of these guys has excellent longevity but . . .

KJ offers me the most prime seasons. If he's my point guard & healthy, I feel like I'm guaranteed an offense around the Top 5 when he's in his prime unless my offense is just bad - but even that '97 Suns team was 7th in offense despite not being talented. I also love that he competed very highly in he playoffs. He strikes me as a strong offensive anchor and while the RS metrics aren't quite as strong as McAdoo/Moncrief he did play in a stronger era and that matters to me.

McAdoo offers me the highest peak. His '74-'76 run is really quite outstanding. Looking through rose colored glasses, I'd say he slowed down because his body wasn't built to play center in the 70's.

Moncrief is the best defender of the 3 - by a fairly wide margin. The rare perimeter player who can anchor a defense - and brings an efficient, if relatively low volume offensive game to the table.

I'll be supporting KJ/McAdoo/Moncrief in order but the gap is very narrow & I think I'd do just as well picking the names out of a hat.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,517

Post#4 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Dec 9, 2017 9:26 am

Kinda hurts to have KJ in and at the same time, I would say he's a top 50 player in my book of favorites. I just had too many issues with this missed games in when his prime should be. Oh well moving on.

Vote McAdoo I think I went over this before but he's got the all nba's and allstar games. 2 titles and he was a KEY guy outside of the star level for one and a key guy for another. Yes I get the defensive issues, but at this point we're talking a guy who was an MVP in the league and had a long career of pretty good value. The fact that Carter is in and we're debating McAdoo is a struggle for me. They have similar stories and for some reason we ignore Carter being a problem player but not an MVP guy?

Alt

I'm still struggling here.

So the list for me is messy, looking at Bill Simmons's list I don't agree with the next ins for once. I gotta say for me it's Webber and Moncrief.

Alt Vote Chris Webber
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#5 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Dec 9, 2017 9:27 am

so I voted it can I get some thoughts on Hill vs Webber?
LA Bird
Analyst
And1: 3,145

Post#6 » by LA Bird » Sat Dec 9, 2017 12:54 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:so I voted it can I get some thoughts on Hill vs Webber?

I have Hill above Webber because of a superior peak and his team impact being stronger before his decline due to injuries.
The case for CWebb is mostly based on his volume scoring and ability to fill up the stat sheet but I thought he was multiple tiers below Duncan/Garnett (who he was compared to at the time) even if his raw numbers may be comparable. When Webber was to be out of the start of the 2003-04 season with injuries, the projection was...

Chris Webber's unfortunate knee injury in the playoffs robbed the Kings of their last best shot. Getting Brad Miller was a fair response to the tough guys out West, but the Kings, top to bottom, are no longer the NBA's most talented team. Any long-shot hope hangs on the health of CWebb, who's averaged just 62 games the last five years.

But the Kings turned out fine before Webber's return, going 43-15 (#1 record in the league) with a historice +9.3 offense. It's not Webber's fault the team played well with Miller in his place but I think CWebb gets too much credit for being the 'leader' / top scorer of a highly successful team that was great on both ends of the floor. Webber was a solid player offensively but far from the star in the regular season he was portrayed to be. Hill was slightly overrated as well IMO but he was still a better player when healthy and transitioned into a role player far better than Webber did in their later seasons.
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,013

Post#7 » by Owly » Sat Dec 9, 2017 1:22 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:so I voted it can I get some thoughts on Hill vs Webber?

I'd be looking at Webber versus the power forward field and I think finding him wanting.

This is all otoh...

Is he metrically better than a Brand? (Or perhaps a Nance, Marion, Bobby Jones)? Is he so after factoring in non-boxscore D (another question mark area for Webber)?

Wasn't he basically not missed by the Kings fairly soon after (during?) his peak (and whilst still boxscore productive)?

Are you confident in his intangiables (weed busts, blowups with Don Nelson and trade demands, the Michigan booster issues related fallout with Jalen Rose)?

How many quality years does he give you? 2000-2002 (though 2001 and 2002 WoWY are pretty worrying). Then '97, 98 and '94. Does anything beyond that move the needle?

Can he stay on court?

And then throw in a reputation as a weak playoff and clutch performer.

Maybe this is too negative, I'm perhaps too used to seeing, and agreeing with, the case against Webber - this a result of Webber having been promoted as (and I think self-promoting as) a superstar, high-historical level player, and trying to correct this.

In any case, I don't think I can see Webber here and otoh I'm fairly confident in Elton Brand being a better player.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#8 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Dec 9, 2017 3:53 pm

I see cases agan'st Webber often, but they are in the context of that era and the 4's. But we're well past that era's stars, they're all LONG since in. No question Webber was used out of place as well.

The thing is Hill's peak only worked because they simply gave him the ball and made him do everything. Could he have integrated that skill on a title team? I'm honestly not sure he could have. Thus my interest in comparing them.
pandrade83
Starter
And1: 604

Post#9 » by pandrade83 » Sat Dec 9, 2017 4:09 pm

Qualitatively - he was a pretty unselfish player at duke and even during the pistons years, he “only” peaked around 25 ppg. He’s not an aggressive gunner - and even at the volume scoring years, he had garbage for teammates and had good assist numbers. Post injury he had no problems deferring. I think he’d have been fine in a stronger team environment
penbeast0

Post#10 » by penbeast0 » Sat Dec 9, 2017 4:14 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:I see cases agan'st Webber often, but they are in the context of that era and the 4's. But we're well past that era's stars, they're all LONG since in. No question Webber was used out of place as well.

The thing is Hill's peak only worked because they simply gave him the ball and made him do everything. Could he have integrated that skill on a title team? I'm honestly not sure he could have. Thus my interest in comparing them.

How was Webber used out of place? He demanded primacy, he refused to play center, his Sacramento teams were built to maximize his skill set, not sure what you mean by that.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#11 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Dec 9, 2017 4:30 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:I see cases agan'st Webber often, but they are in the context of that era and the 4's. But we're well past that era's stars, they're all LONG since in. No question Webber was used out of place as well.

How was Webber used out of place? He demanded primacy, he refused to play center, his Sacramento teams were built to maximize his skill set, not sure what you mean by that.

Webber should have taken less shots in the simplest form. His passing was his greatest asset in terms of big man offensive skills. Now if he'd been ok scoring 18-22 at his peak is another topic.
Owly
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Owly » Sat Dec 9, 2017 6:06 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:

Webber should have taken less shots in the simplest form. His passing was his greatest asset in terms of big man offensive skills. Now if he'd been ok scoring 18-22 at his peak is another topic.

If all you were saying is, as you say, that Webber would have been better off scoring less, more efficiently, okay. But insofar as him being "used out of place" is a case for him, whether he'd be willing (or able) to do it isn't really "another topic", distinct from how we judge him.

To your point about criticisms being brought in the context of him being placed alongside Duncan, Malone, Garnett and Nowitzki ... many are, because some absurdly put him in that company ... but that isn't what was done here. As I said my criticisms were off the top of my head, but (as I also said) insofar as they were versus anyone they were against leading power forwards still on the board, including somewhat peer Elton Brand.

cf: http://bkref.com/tiny/yeiMt (and I'd say the metrics tend to skew against Brand with PER overvaluing scoring, WS maybe neutral in overvaluing team level performance, but hurting Webber on TS% weighting, BPM wildly overrating Webber's D based on his boxscore D and I think also assists otoh).

If I were voting, he's someone I'd want to see the case for best at the position before entertaining cross-positional comps.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#13 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Dec 9, 2017 6:48 pm

Owly wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:

If all you were saying is, as you say, that Webber would have been better off scoring less, more efficiently, okay. But insofar as him being "used out of place" is a case for him, whether he'd be willing (or able) to do it isn't really "another topic", distinct from how we judge him.

To your point about criticisms being brought in the context of him being placed alongside Duncan, Malone, Garnett and Nowitzki ... many are, because some absurdly put him in that company ... but that isn't what was done here. As I said my criticisms were off the top of my head, but (as I also said) insofar as they were versus anyone they were against leading power forwards still on the board, including somewhat peer Elton Brand.

cf: http://bkref.com/tiny/yeiMt (and I'd say the metrics tend to skew against Brand with PER overvaluing scoring, WS maybe neutral in overvaluing team level performance, but hurting Webber on TS% weighting, BPM wildly overrating Webber's D based on his boxscore D and I think also assists otoh).

If I were voting, he's someone I'd want to see the case for best at the position before entertaining cross-positional comps.

Why positional discussions? I don't see what value there is in them vs any other comp. Brand and Webber are as different as Webber and Hill in play style. That said the playoff results tends to inform my gap between the two, perhaps not fair. I am somewhat surprised by the stats on Brand, I don't recall him being that level of player.

The thing with Webber is he'd have been better with another scorer, the player wouldn't have to be a better player over all, just someone who took shots away from Webber. That would have let him showcase his passing skills more and let him be more selected with shots.
Owly
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Owly » Sat Dec 9, 2017 7:43 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Owly wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Why positional discussions? I don't see what value there is in them vs any other comp. Brand and Webber are as different as Webber and Hill in play style. That said the playoff results tends to inform my gap between the two, perhaps not fair. I am somewhat surprised by the stats on Brand, I don't recall him being that level of player.

The thing with Webber is he'd have been better with another scorer, the player wouldn't have to be a better player over all, just someone who took shots away from Webber. That would have let him showcase his passing skills more and let him be more selected with shots.

Positional discussions ... well it doesn't have to be done that way (though I would argue arguing versus the same position and/or same era is easier than where these things are different, and with some of those raised - Brand, Marion and then too perhaps Kemp - both are the case) ... the point would be why is Webber on the shortlist? Why does Webber warrant serious discussion at this stage? The positional case is just one way of framing that. Obviously players are closer together over larger ranges the further out we go in this project so the gap may not be that large, but in terms of limited conversational bandwith (time, attention etc) why is Webber here? For me, for the reasons outlined, he isn't.

Anyhow you asked about Webber (albeit vs someone getting traction, and I came with a slightly different angle), that's where I am on him.

In re: "with another scorer", "used out of place" I'm not entirely sure that I get the above. It doesn't really respond to any of the concerns raised either by myself and others, and arguably misses the point, in that '"another scorer" to take on some of Webber's burden so he didn't have to score so much' (I think, the implied line of argument), falls down when Sacramento sustained a superb offense without him (I think they were 1st before he came back in '04, and generally he wasn't much missed in his Sacto absences, though I'm not sure on the splits in terms of whether the team stayed the same at each end, or changes to one end balanced out ones at the other), so the implicit idea Webber was forced into that volume shooting role by a lack of creation from others doesn't really stack up. But this is probably too far down a very specific Webber rabbit-hole when there's the broader discussion as to whether he belongs in the conversation which probably should be addressed first.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#15 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Dec 9, 2017 8:24 pm

Owly wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Owly wrote:If all you were saying is, as you say, that Webber would have been better off scoring less, more efficiently, okay. But insofar as him being "used out of place" is a case for him, whether he'd be willing (or able) to do it isn't really "another topic", distinct from how we judge him.

Positional discussions ... well it doesn't have to be done that way (though I would argue arguing versus the same position and/or same era is easier than where these things are different, and with some of those raised - Brand, Marion and then too perhaps Kemp - both are the case) ... the point would be why is Webber on the shortlist? Why does Webber warrant serious discussion at this stage? The positional case is just one way of framing that. Obviously players are closer together over larger ranges the further out we go in this project so the gap may not be that large, but in terms of limited conversational bandwith (time, attention etc) why is Webber here? For me, for the reasons outlined, he isn't.

Anyhow you asked about Webber (albeit vs someone getting traction, and I came with a slightly different angle), that's where I am on him.

In re: "with another scorer", "used out of place" I'm not entirely sure that I get the above. It doesn't really respond to any of the concerns raised either by myself and others, and arguably misses the point, in that '"another scorer" to take on some of Webber's burden so he didn't have to score so much' (I think, the implied line of argument), falls down when Sacramento sustained a superb offense without him (I think they were 1st before he came back in '04, and generally he wasn't much missed in his Sacto absences, though I'm not sure on the splits in terms of whether the team stayed the same at each end, or changes to one end balanced out ones at the other), so the implicit idea Webber was forced into that volume shooting role by a lack of creation from others doesn't really stack up. But this is probably too far down a very specific Webber rabbit-hole when there's the broader discussion as to whether he belongs in the conversation which probably should be addressed first.

Well, the issue with debating webber vs the field is that it's a more complex discussion. Hill has traction so comparing him with a player without adds value to the hill discussion, I don't expect webber to move up. Debating Webber vs the field becomes far more time consuming.

As for me, I thought very highly of those kings teams. I felt they should have won a title and webber was the engine for much of it. Though Peja was certainly perhaps over looked.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,265

Post#16 » by trex_8063 » Sat Dec 9, 2017 9:00 pm

1st vote: Bob McAdoo
The narrative: one of only a handful of league MVP's left, was also a complimentary piece on a couple of title teams.

Some statistical/scouting backing: I'm tremendously impressed with his capability as a scorer. Look at '74-'75......
In those two seasons he was collectively averaging 34.0 pts/100 possessions while shooting +7.10% rTS and leading a +1.6 rORTG and +2.1 rORTG (with relatively average supporting casts). He's >51% FG% both seasons (league-leading 54.7% in '74), which is remarkable when you realize how many of his shots came in the mid-range (often off the dribble or in isolation). The guy was just an utterly remarkable shooter, and would certainly fit in in today's era of stretch-bigs.

At 2.7 blk per 100 possessions and still managing 10.2 DReb per 100 (DREB% between 23.5-25.4%, which is like peak/prime Dirk territory) collectively over those two years, I don't feel he's quite as empty on that end as he's sometimes made out to be (effort seems to be there from the limited full-game footage I've watched).
As these are all rate metrics, let's also note this was while averaging a monstrous 43.1 mpg over those two years.

If his longevity were better, I daresay he'd have been in some time ago; I'm comfortable going with him here.

2nd vote: Tony Parker
I hope to drum up some support for him soon. This is somewhat of a longevity pick for me, though some of the other broad strokes aspects of his career are none too shabby for this stage of the project either......

Accolades: 6-Time NBA All-Star, 4-time All-NBA (3x 2nd Team, 1x 3rd Team). Figured into the MVP vote SEVEN seasons, as high as 5th, four times in the top 10.
Narrative: Core piece of a dynasty, with 5 trips to the NBA finals, 4 rings, 1 FMVP.

A quick as hell penetrator who finishes well at the rim, and from a longevity standpoint, he starts looking pretty good statistically.....
Over the 10-year span of '05-'14---which covers 706 rs games (sticking with rTS% and per 100 possession numbers, for better cross-era comps):

29.7 pts, 4.9 reb, 10.2 ast, 4.2 tov @ +2.07% rTS in 32.7 mpg. (20.5 PER, .160 WS/48, +1.8 BPM, +6 efficiency differential).......again, that's over a solid decade. He's got at least 2-3 other better than average seasons besides. Is 65th in NBA/ABA history in rs WS, 51st in playoff WS, fwiw.

Can he begin to get some traction?
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
penbeast0

Post#17 » by penbeast0 » Sat Dec 9, 2017 10:07 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:...

Webber had other scorers around him in his best years in Sacramento, but his identity was bound up in being a star. He passed well but was a guy who needed his shots or he would sulk. He also tended to hang around the 3 point line and shoot them despite being very poor at it and didn't like to push and shove in the post on either offense or defense, letting opponents have their sweet spots and relying on his athleticism to cover for it. I don't think his efficiency improves tremendously with less shots, because his shot selection was similar whether taking more shots or less. He wasn't a guy having to create for himself because his teammates were offensively challenged even in Washington or Golden State.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#18 » by dhsilv2 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:06 am

penbeast0 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:...

Webber had other scorers around him in his best years in Sacramento, but his identity was bound up in being a star. He passed well but was a guy who needed his shots or he would sulk. He also tended to hang around the 3 point line and shoot them despite being very poor at it and didn't like to push and shove in the post on either offense or defense, letting opponents have their sweet spots and relying on his athleticism to cover for it. I don't think his efficiency improves tremendously with less shots, because his shot selection was similar whether taking more shots or less. He wasn't a guy having to create for himself because his teammates were offensively challenged even in Washington or Golden State.

All of this is somewhat fair. He had people to score, but was anyone a go to guy otuer than maybe peja? Anyway, there arent perfect players left. I bring him up against hill as I dont think hill was really better other than personality.
penbeast0

Post#19 » by penbeast0 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:17 am

I think personality matters. Webber was a guy who didn't work hard to maximize his talent or do a lot of analysis. He quit on his team in Washington (and I believe in GS). He choked repeatedly in both college and the pros. I don't think he makes my top 100 and certainly not ahead of the likes of Bobby Jones or James Worthy. But then, I'm not as much about the scoring as many other posters.
LA Bird
Analyst
And1: 3,145

Post#20 » by LA Bird » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:25 am

1. Bobby Jones
Low minutes played is the main reason why Jones isn't ranked higher but I should point out Ginobili played pretty much the same amount of minutes and was voted in 15+ rounds ago. Jones leading Denver to the #1 record in his two ABA seasons (61 win rate) while averaging ~33 minutes a game is rarely mentioned as he seemed to be more remembered for his 6th man role in his later years. Offensively, he has one of the highest career TS% (60.7) and his assists (3.5 per 36), assist/turnover (~1.34) are both great for power forwards. Jones's scoring peaked at 19 ppg per 36 in 81 so it's not like his scoring efficiency was only high because of selective shots and extremely low usage like a DeAndre Jordan. Defensively, Jones is one of the best help defenders of all time and his 10 All-Defensive first team selections is a record that's likely to stand for a very long time. His raw plus minus stats are elite and will probably look even better if we had stats from his Nuggets seasons:

Net on-off
79: +3.4
80: +8.4
81: +10.8
82: +4.2
83: +11.0
84: +7.6
85: +10.4
86: +3.8

2. Ben Wallace
The last top 10 defensive player of all time still remaining.

Return to Player Comparisons