1994 Shaq In Today's League

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Big NBA Fan
Senior
And1: 329

1994 Shaq In Today's League 

Post#1 » by Big NBA Fan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:26 am

I know there have been discussions with the way the league is evolving as to how Prime Shaq would fare in today's fast-paced game with little-to-no-post-ups anymore, so I concluded that maybe 1994 Shaq- forgetting his dreadful playoff performance that year - would be better suited to today's game than Peak Shaq (2000)

Anyone else agree with me? And where would he rank among today's players? I think he would be like Dwight, but much better offensively.

In 1994, he finished the season averaging 29/13/2/3 on 59% shooting in just his 2nd year in the NBA (!) and would have won the scoring title if not for D-Rob's 71 point game.

Also finished in the Top 5 in the MVP voting and had a 53 point game and double-digit games (I think 12 of them) of 40+ point games.

He also played all 82 games and was in phenomenal shape and made huge improvements from his rookie year.

So basically, do you agree, that of all the Shaq versions we saw, 1994 would be the best one for today's game? And where would he rank? Best in NBA? Behind LeBron/Harden?

Share your thoughts. And what would his numbers be in today's era using the 1994 version of Shaq who was really, really quick that season as he played that year at 315 pounds and was only 22 years old.

Too bad he didn't maintain that weight throughout his career; he wouldn't have been so damn injury prone and he would have aged a lot more gracefully post-2005.
ZemGOAT
Veteran
And1: 5,729

Re: 1994 Shaq In Today's League 

Post#2 » by ZemGOAT » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:32 pm

“Barbecue chicken alert!”
I think if you placed him on the Current Magic. I can see him being a Top MVP Candidate leading them to a top 2-4 seed and make the 2nd to 3rd round. He was that good.
mischievous
General Manager
And1: 3,482

Post#3 » by mischievous » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:29 pm

Role player in this rough and rugged league.
FuShengTHEGreat
Veteran
And1: 1,142

Post#4 » by FuShengTHEGreat » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:07 pm

mischievous wrote:Would roll over virtually every player in this rough and rugged league

I detected sarcasm but I fixed your post anyways. :wink:
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#5 » by J_T » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:18 pm

So that's one year after this.

I think he'd do just fine.
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM
And1: 8,093

Post#6 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:36 pm

I don't see why you'd even mention Dwight, they aren't that similar, the only similarities are playing for the Magic and Dwight stealing (one of) his nickname.

As for how good he'd be, he'd be right with LeBron and Curry as the 1a/b/c players in the league. With an outside shot at separating himself as #1.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,318

Post#7 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:13 pm

He’d be devastating and a lot of fun to watch, that’s for sure. I've always imagined that version of shaq as the one teams would try to maintain today if he came into the league in this era.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#8 » by JordansBulls » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:19 am

Total domination on his part, no one would be able to even have a chance against him. Maybe average 35 to 40 ppg a game in this era.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
UDRIH14
General Manager
And1: 662

Post#9 » by UDRIH14 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:40 am

well u have to force him to come out of the key to defend those stretch bigs who can shoot

slow the pace down by hacking him, which means his shooters are not getting any touches into the game...

he can have his dominant stats, but does that equate to wins?
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#10 » by HoopsMalone » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:27 am

Big NBA Fan wrote:
So basically, do you agree, that of all the Shaq versions we saw, 1994 would be the best one for today's game?

Yes. The weight he was at when he entered the league would be much more optimal than the 400 lb guy he ballooned up to around 2000.

That type of skill/athleticism/strength/etc would still wreak havoc in the PNR and open up 3's for everyone on the court.

The 400lb Laker version of him would suffer from the zone scheming the same way every other modern post player does. I'm not saying he wouldn't be good, but he obviously wouldn't be as dominant as he was in his era at this weight.

This should be clear to everyone. But amazingly, it just isn't.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,975

Post#11 » by RCM88x » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:34 am

It would be interesting to see him have to guard smaller big men on switches that can stretch out to the line. It would also be interesting to see such big men try to defend him.

I think 1999-2002 Shaq would be a little more effective just because of how polished his post game was, but that's besides the point. He'd still probably be able to move around enough to take advantage of the PnR and even on cuts.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,235

Post#12 » by ardee » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:40 am

Maybe 4? Behind LeBron, Harden and Curry. In the Giannis/KD/Kawhi range.
kayess
Sixth Man
And1: 1,000

Post#13 » by kayess » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:04 am

Probably not yet the GOAT peak, but his numbers would be insane. Would get pick and rolled to death, idk how that would work out though
Andy123
Pro Prospect
And1: 312

Post#14 » by Andy123 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:36 am

He will still be great , but less so ..instead of 1 on 1 vs shawn bradley he face zone d
I enjoy contributing ideas in a discussion towatds a solution , not interested in debates or arguments.
Mazter
Sixth Man
And1: 768

Post#15 » by Mazter » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:05 pm

He could be the best center but I think there are a lot of disadvantages for him in this era to be even a top 5 player. On the offense in the post his 300-pound body would be an advantage although zone defense would make it easier for opponents to sacrifice a player on the weak side to limit Shaq's movement. Besides that outside

On defense though, opposing centers are not longer post up players. The average starting center has to defend about 5-7 shots outside 15 ft per 36 minutes. Shaq would have to run around more just to help out on defense. Also the change of the 10-second rule to 8 seconds makes the game go up and down the court faster. That does not come easy for such a big and heavy player. Add to that that he has run up or down the court about 10-15 more times a game and I think that Shaq would not play more than 30-32 minutes a game in todays league. The last thing is his bad free throw shooting. The opposing centers hacking him when he gets to close to the basket would make him a liability and not a very good first offensive option.

He could probably still get a good and efficient 20-23 points per game at best, and about 10-13 rebounds. But his impact and dominance would be less because of the better outside shooting around the league and his limited shooting range and playing time. It would not be the formula to winning basketball.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#16 » by Winsome Gerbil » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:12 am

the one problem I can see that early is the problem facing all big men today -- zone defenses can gang up on you, without the ball even. Young Shaq never had to face that in the pros because of the illegal defense rules. So in order to beat that you either have to a) develop perimeter skills to escape the swarm; or b) become a great passer and punish teams for leaving their men.

Young Shaq was a devastating player, but he wasn't yet a devastating passer. Faced with his power I'm betting a lot of teams would spend the entire game with him doubled before he even caught it. That wouldn't stop him from being an absolute top guy, but the ability to just double or triple a guy all game offers a potential slow him down option not easily available to 1994 coaches.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,506

Post#17 » by 70sFan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:18 am

Winsome Gerbil wrote:the one problem I can see that early is the problem facing all big men today -- zone defenses can gang up on you, without the ball even. Young Shaq never had to face that in the pros because of the illegal defense rules. So in order to beat that you either have to a) develop perimeter skills to escape the swarm; or b) become a great passer and punish teams for leaving their men.

Young Shaq was a devastating player, but he wasn't yet a devastating passer. Faced with his power I'm betting a lot of teams would spend the entire game with him doubled before he even caught it. That wouldn't stop him from being an absolute top guy, but the ability to just double or triple a guy all game offers a potential slow him down option not easily available to 1994 coaches.

But doubling and even tripleing one player all game is extremely risky. With decent coach and decent teammates, this would make him more impactful than ever.

It's easier to double today in theory, but keep in mind that spacing is as good as ever. You can't double one player without the ball all the time because it’s a terrible strategy with today shooters. Shaq wasn't close to his peak version in terms of passing and feel of the game, but he already shown potential in his second year in this aspect. He was terrible passer as a rookie but he has his biggest improvement after first year.

He wouldn't be the best player in the league. James is still in his prime and I prefer him over young Shaq entering his prime. Given how well Harden is playing now, he's also better though we'll see how he will end this season. Curry is still Curry, so he's also a bit better. Then he could be next, Kawhi just started his season so we don't know yet how well will he play, Durant doesn't impress me this season.

Giannis is also close as both possess enormouns physical advantage over anyone on the court. I like comparison between Giannis and young Shaq, even though they are much different. Not sure if Giannis can surpass 1994 Shaq season but it's close.

The rest of the league doesn't have much case in my opinion. So Shaq would be at worst in top 6-7.
mysticOscar
Starter
And1: 1,541

Post#18 » by mysticOscar » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:42 am

70sFan wrote:
Winsome Gerbil wrote:the one problem I can see that early is the problem facing all big men today -- zone defenses can gang up on you, without the ball even. Young Shaq never had to face that in the pros because of the illegal defense rules. So in order to beat that you either have to a) develop perimeter skills to escape the swarm; or b) become a great passer and punish teams for leaving their men.

But doubling and even tripleing one player all game is extremely risky. With decent coach and decent teammates, this would make him more impactful than ever.

It's easier to double today in theory, but keep in mind that spacing is as good as ever. You can't double one player without the ball all the time because it’s a terrible strategy with today shooters. Shaq wasn't close to his peak version in terms of passing and feel of the game, but he already shown potential in his second year in this aspect. He was terrible passer as a rookie but he has his biggest improvement after first year.

He wouldn't be the best player in the league. James is still in his prime and I prefer him over young Shaq entering his prime. Given how well Harden is playing now, he's also better though we'll see how he will end this season. Curry is still Curry, so he's also a bit better. Then he could be next, Kawhi just started his season so we don't know yet how well will he play, Durant doesn't impress me this season.

Giannis is also close as both possess enormouns physical advantage over anyone on the court. I like comparison between Giannis and young Shaq, even though they are much different. Not sure if Giannis can surpass 1994 Shaq season but it's close.

The rest of the league doesn't have much case in my opinion. So Shaq would be at worst in top 6-7.

6-8 is probably the minimum i would put him as well. The threat of the 3pt shot opens up the lane for Shaq...and opposition coaches will have a tough choice of closing on the 3pt players and leaving Shaq on single coverage or just giving up the open lane.

About his passing, Shaq would be able to adapt (the same way he did in the triangle) if the coaching staff emphasised it....so his criticism of his passing in '94 is blown out of proportion to his real potential in that area

2 things that do concern me is:
1) hack-a-shaq....where it is more pervalent today
2) most importantly lack of experience in the league and team mates

Hence i see him in the same level (or perceived) as perhaps as like Giannis this year...individually dominant...but would not be leading teams to the top of the conference
Gregoire
Analyst
And1: 548

Post#19 » by Gregoire » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:04 am

Mazter wrote:He could be the best center but I think there are a lot of disadvantages for him in this era to be even a top 5 player. On the offense in the post his 300-pound body would be an advantage although zone defense would make it easier for opponents to sacrifice a player on the weak side to limit Shaq's movement. Besides that outside

On defense though, opposing centers are not longer post up players. The average starting center has to defend about 5-7 shots outside 15 ft per 36 minutes. Shaq would have to run around more just to help out on defense. Also the change of the 10-second rule to 8 seconds makes the game go up and down the court faster. That does not come easy for such a big and heavy player. Add to that that he has run up or down the court about 10-15 more times a game and I think that Shaq would not play more than 30-32 minutes a game in todays league. The last thing is his bad free throw shooting. The opposing centers hacking him when he gets to close to the basket would make him a liability and not a very good first offensive option.

He could probably still get a good and efficient 20-23 points per game at best, and about 10-13 rebounds. But his impact and dominance would be less because of the better outside shooting around the league and his limited shooting range and playing time. It would not be the formula to winning basketball.

What about offensive fouls? Would Shaq punished more? What he did with Mutombo in 2001 is ridiculous...
Heej wrote:
These no calls on LeBron are crazy. A lot of stars got foul calls to protect them from the league. That's gonna be the most enduring take from his career. :lol:
falcolombardi wrote:
Come playoffs 18 lebron beats any version of jordan :lol:
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#20 » by bledredwine » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:57 pm

Scoring title leader without a doubt. In such a touchy fouling league, he'd be unstoppable. Probably the best player in the league if it wasn't so 3-oriented. Who knows, he was dominant enough that he might have still been. One things certain - having him on your team would be an insane mismatch, as it was even in the 90s with the monsters at C and more physical play. 3 sec vio didn't effect him in the 00's either. Take his 29.4 ppg, adjust for 10 percent pace difference is 33 ppg'ish. Then add the lack of physical D, size or strength among most of these centers? Kills it.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895

Return to Player Comparisons