RealGM 2017 Top 100 List #72 (Paul Arizin)

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,265

RealGM 2017 Top 100 List #72 (Paul Arizin) 

Post#1 » by trex_8063 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:46 pm

1. Michael Jordan
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
3. Lebron James
4. Bill Russell
5. Tim Duncan
6. Wilt Chamberlain
7. Magic Johnson
8. Shaquille O'Neal
9. Hakeem Olajuwon
10. Larry Bird
11. Kobe Bryant
12. Kevin Garnett
13. Oscar Robertson
14. Karl Malone
15. Jerry West
16. Julius Erving
17. Dirk Nowitzki
18. David Robinson
19. Charles Barkley
20. Moses Malone
21. John Stockton
22. Dwyane Wade
23. Chris Paul
24. Bob Pettit
25. George Mikan
26. Steve Nash
27. Patrick Ewing
28. Kevin Durant
29. Stephen Curry
30. Scottie Pippen
31. John Havlicek
32. Elgin Baylor
33. Clyde Drexler
34. Rick Barry
35. Gary Payton
36. Artis Gilmore
37. Jason Kidd
38. Walt Frazier
39. Isiah Thomas
40. Kevin McHale
41. George Gervin
42. Reggie Miller
43. Paul Pierce
44. Dwight Howard
45. Dolph Schayes
46. Bob Cousy
47. Ray Allen
48. Pau Gasol
49. Wes Unseld
50. Robert Parish
51. Russell Westbrook
52. Alonzo Mourning
53. Dikembe Mutombo
54. Manu Ginobili
55. Chauncey Billups
56. Willis Reed
57. Bob Lanier
58. Allen Iverson
59. Adrian Dantley
60. Dave Cowens
61. Elvin Hayes
62. Dominique Wilkins
63. Vince Carter
64. Alex English
65. Tracy McGrady
66. James Harden
67. Nate Thurmond
68. Sam Jones
69. Kevin Johnson
70. Bob McAdoo
71. Sidney Moncrief
72. ???

Get it goin'!

Spoiler:
eminence wrote:.

penbeast0 wrote:.

Clyde Frazier wrote:.

PaulieWal wrote:.

Colbinii wrote:.

Texas Chuck wrote:.

drza wrote:.

Dr Spaceman wrote:.

fpliii wrote:.

euroleague wrote:.

pandrade83 wrote:.

Hornet Mania wrote:.

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:.

SactoKingsFan wrote:.

Blackmill wrote:.

JordansBulls wrote:.

RSCS3_ wrote:.

BasketballFan7 wrote:.

micahclay wrote:.

ardee wrote:.

RCM88x wrote:.

Tesla wrote:.

Joao Saraiva wrote:.

LA Bird wrote:.

MyUniBroDavis wrote:.

kayess wrote:.

2klegend wrote:.

MisterHibachi wrote:.

70sFan wrote:.

mischievous wrote:.

Doctor MJ wrote:.

Dr Positivity wrote:.

Jaivl wrote:.

Bad Gatorade wrote:.

andrewww wrote:.

Moonbeam wrote:.

Cyrusman122000 wrote:.

Winsome Gerbil wrote:.

Narigo wrote:.

wojoaderge wrote:.

TrueLAfan wrote:.

90sAllDecade wrote:.

Outside wrote:.

scabbarista wrote:.

janmagn wrote:.

Arman_tanzarian wrote:.

oldschooled wrote:.

Pablo Novi wrote:.

john248 wrote:.

mdonnelly1989 wrote:.

Senior wrote:.

twolves97 wrote:.

CodeBreaker wrote:.

JoeMalburg wrote:.

dhsilv2 wrote:.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Re: RealGM 2017 Top 100 List #72 

Post#2 » by penbeast0 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:11 pm

YEAH SID!

Mel Daniels is probably the best big men left (ok, other than the 1.5 seasons you get from Walton). Daniels is a multiple time MVP and best player on two championship teams plus a willing support role on a third championship though in a weak league. I tend to value defense, particularly for big men, and Mel was basically the original Alonzo Mourning with more rebounding but less shotblocking. He was a 1st round NBA pick (the first to sign with the ABA) and in the NBA would probably have been one of the best centers as well, not in the Jabbar league but then neither was anyone else, but contending with Unseld/Dowens for the rebounding leaderboard and All-Defense teams and with 15-20ppg scoring on limited range (Slick Leonard drew a circle on the floor 10 feet or so from the basket and told him he would be fined if he ever shot outside that range). Like Zo, his playmaking was mediocre but in addition to strong rebounding and defense, he was Indiana's intimidator, in a league where everyone was trying to make a name for themselves. And, he did it without major foul trouble issues. The two MVPs show he was valued above his box scores.

Bobby Jones, James Worthy, Grant Hill, Shawn Marion ... All combo forwards but Hill and Hill was more of a power SF in his prime. Walton just didn't play enough for me to list him in any top 100 careers though his peak was terrific.

Bobby Jones is NBA's all time leader with 10 1st team All-Defense awards (including 2 in ABA). Superefficient, nice midrange j, good passer, didn't create for himself much. Super smart, willing to play 6th man roles if it helps the team.

Worthy is a guy who can create for himself from the post and one of the great open court finishers ever. A bit less range than Jones and a weaker rebounder, also a decent passer. His calling card are some terrific playoff scoring games.

Hill was the best playmaker of the group. Though both Bobby Jones and James Worthy were good passers, only Hill had good handles to play point forward. He was the man with the ball in his hands during his prime consistently, unlike any of the others, and racked up 5 straight seasons of 20/5/5 or better (plus 19.9ppg his rookie year). Like all three of the others, a coach's favorite, smart and disciplined. I rate him as above average defensively though I frequently see him dismissed in this area he looked good to me. Prime cut short by injury; his years as a role player were nice but not on the level of Bobby Jones's 6th man years.

Shawn Marion. Possibly the best athlete of 4 outstanding athletic forwards. Almost at Bobby Jones's level as a help defender approaching the 2 block/2 steal level at times; he sometimes seemed to be everywhere in Phoenix covering for Amare and Nash while still scoring 20ppg. Best off ball movement and best rebounder of the 4 as well. Two caveats for why I have him below Jones and Worthy. First, his playoffs were not good as he was beaten by lesser players like Lamar Odom. Second, he did apparently whine about his role in Phoenix. He also benefitted tremendously from playing with Steve Nash if you look at his efficiency with Nash v. without.

Vote: Mel Daniels
Alternative: Bobby Jones
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#3 » by trex_8063 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:02 am

Ah, I fear we've seen the vote pen will be casting for the next 20-28 threads.
How far will you go to try and convince us that the combination of a) Mel's scarcely above average offense, b) his lacking longevity (6-year prime, 8-year total career), and c) reasonable skepticism based on playing in a generally weaker league (the ABA of his prime---'68-'73---being roughly equivalent competitiveness to the circa-1960 NBA, imo) are not [collectively] sufficient to remove him from candidacy at this stage?
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4 » by trex_8063 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:03 am

Where are people at with Tony Parker at this stage?

penbeast0
And1: 8,679

Post#5 » by penbeast0 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:13 am

trex_8063 wrote:Ah, I fear we've seen the vote pen will be casting for the next 20-28 threads.
How far will you go to try and convince us that the combination of a) Mel's scarcely above average offense, b) his lacking longevity (6-year prime, 8-year total career), and c) reasonable skepticism based on playing in a generally weaker league (the ABA of his prime---'68-'73---being roughly equivalent competitiveness to the circa-1960 NBA, imo) are not [collectively] sufficient to remove him from candidacy at this stage?

I just lay the facts out there and let people make up their own minds. We shall see if he makes it or not; how long was Alex English on the board for me?

:pityfool:
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
pandrade83
Starter
And1: 604

Post#6 » by pandrade83 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:34 pm

Primary Vote: Grant HIll
Secondary Vote: Chris Bosh

Grant Hill has better longevity than you think; he has 100 WS & 35 K minutes.

He has a really stellar 6 year run in Detroit where he averages 22-8-6 on 54% TS in an era where 51-52 was the norm and those numbers include his rookie year.

Detroit was miserable the year before he joined - 26/27 on SRS, winning 20 games. It was also their last year with Isiah. They jump up to 28 wins. The next year, Hill & Houston improve - and these are your two best players. Detroit wins 46 games and gets swept by Orlando. Hill plays great - 19-7-4 on 60% TS - the team is just way overmatched.

In '97 the team wins 54 games as Hill is a true offensive anchor and has a magnificent season. he gets 21-9-7 while also getting 2.4 combined stl/blk. He owns the Point Forward role on a team where a post-prime Joe Dumars & Otis Thorpe are your next best players & anchors the Pistons to #5 in Orating. They lose to the Hawks in a miserable series that no one should watch. Hill plays fine.

They lose Thorpe the next year & Dumars is cooked at this point - it's a garbage team surrounding Hill & they miss the playoffs. In '99, he drags the Pistons to 29-21 making the playoffs but again losing to the Hawks in 5 - just a bad matchup for them.

Detroit makes the playoffs gain the next year & Hill remains excellent (26-7-5) but they get beat in the first round & Hill shows the first signs of injury troubles. He plays 47 combined games over the next 4 years. In '05 at age 32, he finally makes a comeback. He has a nice little season for the Magic, making the all-star team as he averages 20-5-3. Over the next several years, he evolves into a nice 2/3 swing man. He plays intelligently, has TS#'s in the high 50's and averages around 13-5-3 through age 38 (2011). The post-prime element ends up giving him a WS edge on the prior trio.

His one year peak is just as good as anyone left not named Kawhi or Walton. This is a great player who gets lost in the shuffle because of injuries & playing for these garbage teams. Let's not punish his brilliance because of that.

This game clip really highlights the type of player he was in case you forget and/or were too young to see. Brings a lot to the table. He doesn't have many weaknesses except for an outside shot - he only shoots it when WIDE open.

;

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As to who goes next:

I'll go with Chris Bosh. An 11 time all-star and key member of the '11-'14 Heat.

Bosh was a star in Toronto - getting 3 20/10 seasons and finishing 14th in RAPM from '08-'11. He could've been a great stats/bad team guy but he shows a lot of maturity in terms of being willing to evolve in Miami. He turns himself into an efficient stretch big who scored efficiently and helped set up strong spacing for Lebron & Wade. He played solid defense over that time and Miami doesn't enjoy the success that they do without him. Even after Lebron leaves, Bosh is the co-lead in MIami with Wade, taking the Heat to the 2nd round in '16.

It's unfortunate that health cut his career short, but he still finished with 106 WS and 32 K Minutes Played from a longevity standpoint. You also have to have solid longevity to get to 11 All-Star Appearances.

I take Bosh > Parker & Worthy because I felt that Bosh was more of a needle mover than those two - he has 30% more WS than Worthy which is material & I don't get excited about Parker's peak.

I can't go with Daniels here - too many concerns about the time he peaked & he has pretty awful longevity. He's not someone I'd support til the end & I think that other ABA MVPS (Cunningham, Beaty) have stronger cases in general - not to mention that Hawkins has an elite peak. I'm not impressed by the game tape I've seen of him.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,514

Post#7 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:27 pm

trex_8063 wrote:Where are people at with Tony Parker at this stage?

Can you sell me he was a top 10 guy in the league 2 years?

I like him around here due to playoff sucess but just a few guys I'd have to think about before him. All guys with 5 or more all nba (or aba). A few I'm rather willing to throw out pretty quickly, Daniels, Richmond, Lucas and Amar'e don't do much for me. A few others I need to do home work on. And then there are the 4 x all nba guys who likely include a few others I'd want to think on.

Hal Greer
Bill Sharman
Tiny Archibald
Billy Cunningham
Mel Daniels
Tim Hardaway
Dan Issel
Jerry Lucas
Yao Ming
Mitch Richmond
Amar'e Stoudemire
Ben Wallace
Chris Webber

I like Parker over Grant Hill and Penny who received an alt vote last round.

Edit

Trex, why not Marion over Parker? He's got nearly double Parker's career VORP and 15+ more WS. He's lacking accolades and titles, but the longevity and quality seems a touch above, sorta feels more like your kind of guy.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by trex_8063 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:24 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:

That's a somewhat arbitrary qualifier, imo, but I'll try.....

I think his best case is probably '13:
*2nd in league in JE's PI RAPM (the former GotBuckets? PI RAPM didn't rate him quite as highly, fwiw, though still a strong positive)
**9th-highest rs PER.
***5th-highest rs WS/48 (and respectable +2.7 rs BPM). Was avg 20.3 ppg @ 58.8% TS, with 7.6 apg and only 2.6 topg.
****6th-highest playoff PER (and .152 WS/48 and +2.8 BPM in playoffs).
*****Finished 6th in MVP shares (and All-NBA 2nd Team), fwiw.
******2nd-best player (damn near the 1b) on a team that came one OReb or made trey away from the title.

^^^^All around, that seems like a pretty good case for '13.

Or how about '09?:
*8th-highest rs PER that year (very respectable .168 WS/48 and +3.1 BPM, too); was going for 22.0 ppg and 6.9 apg with just 2.6 topg, 55.6% TS.
**2nd (behind only Lebron) in both playoff PER and playoff BPM this year. (only a 5-game playoff sample, but just sayin': Parker obviously showed up in the series, going for 28.6 ppg @ 58.8% TS with 6.8 apg).
***Was 8th in MVP shares (also All-NBA 3rd Team).
****Only 42nd in RAPM, though fwiw even Manu was only 36th that year.

Some might argue for '12, too: it's a clearly lesser year from a statistical standpoint, but he was 4th in the league in NPI RAPM, and also placed 5th in MVP shares that season (again 2nd Team honors, too).

So between those three years, might he have been top 10 (or at least REALLY close) in two of them?

trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by trex_8063 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:29 pm

1st vote: Tony Parker
Piggy-backing on my comments from post #8 itt, here's the gist why I think he belongs at this point (somewhat a longevity-aided pick).....

Accolades: 6-Time NBA All-Star, 4-time All-NBA (3x 2nd Team, 1x 3rd Team). Figured into the MVP vote SEVEN seasons, as high as 5th, four times in the top 10.

Narrative: Core piece of a dynasty, with 5 trips to the NBA finals, 4 rings, 1 FMVP.

Statistical/style: A quick as hell penetrator who finishes well at the rim, and from a longevity standpoint, he starts looking pretty good statistically.....
Over the 10-year span of '05-'14---which covers 706 rs games (sticking with rTS% and per 100 possession numbers, for better cross-era comps):
29.7 pts, 4.9 reb, 10.2 ast, 4.2 tov @ +2.07% rTS in 32.7 mpg. (20.5 PER, .160 WS/48, +1.8 BPM, +6 efficiency differential).......again, that's over a solid decade. He's got at least 2-3 other better than average seasons besides. Is 65th in NBA/ABA history in rs WS, 51st in playoff WS, fwiw.

Traction is imminent, no?

2nd vote: Paul Arizin
Let’s start with ‘52. Yeah, it’s ‘52, and the league was relatively soft, infantile compared to many other eras. Otoh, what would you expect a legitimately great player to do to a soft era? You’d expect him to destroy it, which is more or less what Paul Arizin did that year:
*He led the league in both ppg and FG% (with a FG% that even some modern players----Lonzo Ball, some recent years of Derrick Rose, etc----would envy; also 82% from the FT-line, which is good in any era), while also averaging 11.3 rpg.
**He had the league’s 2nd-best PER (behind only Mikan), and the 3rd-best WS/48 (behind only Vern Mikkelsen and Mikan)--->close to them on both metrics, and while playing significantly more minutes than either (a monstrous league-leading 44.5 mpg). Was arguably the most statistically dominant player in the league that year (at least for what stats they tracked at the time).
***In pace-adjusted era-relative terms, he was averaging 28.6 pts, 12.7 reb, and 2.9 ast per 100 possessions @ +10.76% rTS (again: in 44.5 mpg).
****Was a 29.5 PER, .198 WS/48 in the playoffs, too (while avg 40.0 mpg): 57% TS in the playoffs (which is good even by modern standards).

So he was crushing the league in ‘52, no question.

In ‘53 Arizin is gone (a forced retirement of sorts, as he’s in military service---in Korea for some of it---over the next two years; which incidentally, I’m inclined to give him a partial pass on his longevity for this, as this most likely took two years of his prime away from him); they also got rid of PG Andy Phillip for much of the season. Otoh, Neil Johnston blooms into a superstar this year.
And yet the win% falls from .500 to .174, SRS falls from -1.08 to -7.75; the offense falls from a very nice +2.6 rORTG to an abysmal -4.1 rORTG…….to me this is all indication that Arizin wasn’t just empty stats.

The team stablizes a little in ‘54 (manages a 29-43 record with Johnston at the helm).

In ‘55, Arizin returns from military service with likely a fair bit of rust on him, and returning to a league that is a bit different and more competitive than the one he left (skillsets improving at a startling rate thru the 1950’s based on the difference seen between games of the early 50’s and those of circa-1960, the shotclock has been added, and the league somewhat more concentrated [reduced in size somewhat])......they improve by 4 games and +1.70 SRS, even with rusty and adjusting Paul Arizin (who---per 100 possessions---went for 23.9 pts, 10.7 reb, 3.3 ast @ +2.25 rTS in another league-leading 41.0 mpg).

By ‘56 he’s sharpened up again (28.3 pts, 8.75 reb, 3.1 ast per 100 possessions @ +6.86% rTS), as he and Neil Johnston lead a +4.6 rORTG (#1 in league) team to an NBA title. In the playoffs on that title run, Arizin avg 28.9 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 2.9 apg @ 53% TS (which would have been above average as recently as circa-2000.....was +7.2% rTS at the time); had the league-best playoff WS/48 (.262, along with 24.2 PER in 40.9 mpg).

Arizin would post similar numbers in ‘57 on another winning team.

His numbers take a dip in ‘58, not sure of the reason why. Nagging injuries? The addition of the chucking Woody Sauldsberry taking too many of his shots? I don’t know. His numbers pop back up a bit in ‘59 (in what is an ever more competitive league) before age begins to take its toll.
But even in his final season (which he would turn 34 years old by the end of), in a much more competitive league than the one he started in----due to a rapidly expanding player pool (league still only 9 teams this year), rapidly evolving skillsets, and increasing integration (nearly 30% black by this point)----Arizin was still producing (per 100 possessions) 22.4 pts, 6.9 reb, 2.6 ast @ +0.75 rTS while still playing nearly 36 mpg.

Arizin was one of the popularizers of the jump-shot, good form (especially relative to era standards), and appears to have had range out to 20+ feet. In those respects he seems like a player that translates reasonably well to a more modern context. Seems like a reasonably decent build (for an era that actively discouraged weight training), and at 6’4” (in socks) and 190 lbs, he’s more or less got the body of a relatively modern NBA wing. His elevation on those jump-shots (again: prior to training for strength, leaping, or explosiveness) is decent, and I actually really like his quickness given this video is mostly old post-prime Arizin and that the floors of the time period were utter trash (dusty, slick, poorly kept) and the “athletic shoes” of the time period were little better than the slippers I wear around the house in winter.

Not that era-portability plays any large role in my personal criteria, fwiw. Merely pointing out I think this is a great player, certainly has the statistical backing, has the accolades (10 All-Stars, 3x All-NBA 1st Team, 1x All-NBA 2nd, four top 10 finishes in the MVP vote [three in top 5, twice in top 3]--->and this excludes his ‘52 season because the MVP was not yet a thing), as well as other career narrative things (like being at worst 1b on a title team in the shotclock era). He’s a rock-solid candidate here, imo.

EDIT: Just by way of mentions, the other players I'd be content to see get this spot include Grant Hill, Chris Bosh, Shawn Marion, Dan Issel (I'll be lobbying for him soon; I see him kinda like Amar'e Stoudemire, but with better longevity), or perhaps Ben Wallace.

dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#10 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:33 pm

trex_8063 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

That's a somewhat arbitrary qualifier, imo, but I'll try.....

I think his best case is probably '13:
*2nd in league in JE's PI RAPM (the former GotBuckets? PI RAPM didn't rate him quite as highly, fwiw)
**9th-highest rs PER.
***5th-highest rs WS/48 (and respectable +2.7 rs BPM). Was avg 20.3 ppg @ 58.8% TS, with 7.6 apg and only 2.6 topg.
****6th-highest playoff PER (and .152 WS/48 and +2.8 BPM in playoffs).
*****Finished 6th in MVP shares (and All-NBA 2nd Team), fwiw.
******2nd-best player (damn near the 1b) on a team that came one OReb or made trey away from the title.

^^^^All around, that seems like a pretty good case for '13.

Or how about '09?:
*8th-highest rs PER that year (very respectable .168 WS/48 and +3.1 BPM, too); was going for 22.0 ppg and 6.9 apg with just 2.6 topg, 55.6% TS.
**2nd (behind only Lebron) in both playoff PER and playoff BPM this year. (only a 5-game playoff sample, but just sayin': Parker obviously showed up in the series, going for 28.6 ppg @ 58.8% TS with 6.8 apg).
***Was 8th in MVP shares (also All-NBA 3rd Team).
****Only 42nd in RAPM, though fwiw even Manu was only 36th that year.

Some might argue for '12, too: it's a clearly lesser year from a statistical standpoint, but he was 4th in the league in NPI RAPM, and also placed 5th in MVP shares that season (again 2nd Team honors, too).

So between those three years, might he have been top 10 (or at least REALLY close) in two of them?

Well, I kinda thought 13 was an ok case, but a 2nd year was kinda what I wanted to see. I'll have to review 09 more. interesting on PI RAPM data. Never look at that set normally, at least prior to RPM which you know espn and easy to get to.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by trex_8063 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:12 pm

Thru post #10:

Grant Hill - 1 (pandrade83)
Tony Parker - 1 (trex_8063)
Mel Daniels - 1 (penbeast0)

~24 hours or so until this one goes to runoff (hopefully we get more than 3 votes!).

Spoiler:

Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,318

Post#12 » by Clyde Frazier » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:55 am

Vote 1 - Paul Arizin

Vote 2 - Hal Greer

Really impressive production in his 56 championship run:

28.9 PPG, 8.4 RPG, 2.9 APG, 45% FG, 83.8% FT (9.9 FTAs per game), 53% TS (+7.2 vs. league average)

He had decent longevity for his era, and didn't miss any significant time throughout his career. His 10 year career was shortened by 2 years of service in the military. He was solid every year of his career, and still productive into the 60s in his last season at 33 years old. Like Schayes (voted in at #45), he had an impressive career FT rate of .463 and shot it well at 81%.
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,056

Post#13 » by iggymcfrack » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:52 am

Feel like this is a spot where Ben Wallace should be getting more traction. Elite impact that rivaled some of the top 2-way bigs at his peak, and was the best player on the ‘04 Pistons that knocked off the Shaq/Kobe/Malone/Payton Lakers in the Finals.
LA Bird
Analyst
And1: 3,145

Post#14 » by LA Bird » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:51 am

1. Bobby Jones
Low minutes played is the main reason why Jones isn't ranked higher but I should point out Ginobili played pretty much the same amount of minutes and was voted in 15+ rounds ago. Jones leading Denver to the #1 record in his two ABA seasons (61 win rate) while averaging ~33 minutes a game is rarely mentioned as he seemed to be more remembered for his 6th man role in his later years. Offensively, he has one of the highest career TS% (60.7) and his assists (3.5 per 36), assist/turnover (~1.34) are both great for power forwards. Jones's scoring peaked at 19 ppg per 36 in 81 so it's not like his scoring efficiency was only high because of selective shots and extremely low usage like a DeAndre Jordan. Defensively, Jones is one of the best help defenders of all time and his 10 All-Defensive first team selections is a record that's likely to stand for a very long time. His raw plus minus stats are elite and will probably look even better if we had stats from his Nuggets seasons:

Net on-off
79: +3.4
80: +8.4
81: +10.8
82: +4.2
83: +11.0
84: +7.6
85: +10.4
86: +3.8

2. Ben Wallace
The last top 10 defensive player of all time still remaining.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#15 » by trex_8063 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:57 pm

Thru post #14:

Grant Hill - 1 (pandrade83)
Paul Arizin - 1 (Clyde Frazier)
Bobby Jones - 1 (LABird)
Tony Parker - 1 (trex_8063)
Mel Daniels - 1 (penbeast0)

Disappointing turnout, but it is what it is. We'll have to go to the secondary votes to determine a proper runoff. Bobby Jones and Paul Arizin were the only two whom also received a secondary vote, so that will be our runoff (transferring the secondary votes):

Paul Arizin - 2 (trex_8063, Clyde Frazier)
Bobby Jones - 2 (LABird, penbeast0)

If your name is not shown here, please state your pick between Jones and Arizin, with reasons why. Runoff to conclude in approximately 24 hours.

Spoiler:

trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#16 » by trex_8063 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:12 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Trex, why not Marion over Parker? He's got nearly double Parker's career VORP and 15+ more WS. He's lacking accolades and titles, but the longevity and quality seems a touch above, sorta feels more like your kind of guy.

It's almost splittin' hairs for me. I tentatively [at this moment] have Parker #70 on my ATL, Marion at #77 (though I'm toying with the idea of bumping Marion up to #74 or 75); this far out on the list, even separation of 5 places is near-negligible. It is somewhat the lack of accolades or certain team accomplishments ("legacy points", if you will), as well as some occasional lacking teammate/maturity/leadership intangibles for Marion [which I think penbeast0 or Owly alluded to earlier] that persuade me to hold Marion back just marginally behind Parker.
One can argue it's Parker's good fortune that he landed in San Antonio (enabling him to be part of a dynasty), and they'd be right. But within the context of this comparison, one could also argue Marion was fortunate [as far as it helped the statistical profile you refer to] in getting to play half of his prime next to peak-ish Steve Nash (I don't think it's coincidence that arguably his three best statistical seasons----three of his top four, for sure----occurred while playing with Nash, and that he appears to fall off drastically immediately upon leaving PHX).

It's certainly close, imo. In my vote post (#9 itt), you'll note I edited in at the end some honorable mentions I'd be perfectly happy with getting voted in at this point......Marion was among them.

EDIT: And by way of lobbying my favorite in this runoff, please read my arguments for Arizin if you've not yet done so. I think his candidacy is strong here (and Bobby Jones' limited minutes are just a bit too much for me----given he wasn't a transcendent player in the ~26 mpg he was in the game----while players like Parker, Arizin, Marion, Bosh, Issel, or B.Wallace are still on the table).

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,482

Re: RealGM 2017 Top 100 List #72: RUNOFF! B.Jones vs Arizin 

Post#17 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:20 pm

Runoff: Paul Arizin

I actually love both of these choices, but Paul Arizin is someone who to me would be a true star in any era. The disruption of his career due to the military makes it tough to place him, but of any of the players we think of as "50s players", Arizin might be the first that I'd draft.

Jones isn't a bad choice though. Legendary "take nothing off the table" guy. The limited minutes though, while frankly they don't bother me that much when I compare him to other players, do provide a watershed when going up against someone else with similar positives but less limitations.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,013

Post#18 » by Owly » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:19 pm

trex_8063 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

It's almost splittin' hairs for me. I tentatively [at this moment] have Parker #70 on my ATL, Marion at #77 (though I'm toying with the idea of bumping Marion up to #74 or 75); this far out on the list, even separation of 5 places is near-negligible. It is somewhat the lack of accolades or certain team accomplishments ("legacy points", if you will), as well as some occasional lacking teammate/maturity/leadership intangibles for Marion [which I think penbeast0 or Owly alluded to earlier] that persuade me to hold Marion back just marginally behind Parker.
One can argue it's Parker's good fortune that he landed in San Antonio (enabling him to be part of a dynasty), and they'd be right. But within the context of this comparison, one could also argue Marion was fortunate [as far as it helped the statistical profile you refer to] in getting to play half of his prime next to peak-ish Steve Nash (I don't think it's coincidence that arguably his three best statistical seasons----three of his top four, for sure----occurred while playing with Nash, and that he appears to fall off drastically immediately upon leaving PHX).

It's certainly close, imo. In my vote post (#9 itt), you'll note I edited in at the end some honorable mentions I'd be perfectly happy with getting voted in at this point......Marion was among them.

EDIT: And by way of lobbying my favorite in this runoff, please read my arguments for Arizin if you've not yet done so. I think his candidacy is strong here (and Bobby Jones' limited minutes are just a bit too much for me----given he wasn't a transcendent player in the ~26 mpg he was in the game----while players like Parker, Arizin, Marion, Bosh, Issel, or B.Wallace are still on the table).

On Marion character issues (and if either of us raised it would be Pen, I haven't really discussed Marion other than passing mentions amongst other fairly well-rounded, defensive, often stat-sheet stuffing forwards) versus Parker ...

It was documented in SSoL (doubtless amongst other places) that Marion sometimes chafed at being percieved as the 3rd guy (or to be fair, often just ignored because if you're not top 2 and you're not a "superteam" where you've established yourselves on your own team, the "third" guy doesn't necessarily get much pub). There's a possible asking for a trade near the end of the Phoenix stint and this may have been a factor in dealing him for O'Neal...

Still I think versus Parker ... I don't know the details about the Parker-Barry situation (a quick google makes it seem like it was less than was originally reported), I don't know the state of the Barry's relationship when whatever happened, happened (assuming that something did, which Parker seemed to have admitted). Well having typed the last sentence, I don't even know whether, this stuff can fairly be factored in. But if there's some truth to some of it, if there was some hope for the Barrys (or even if there wasn't, but Brent didn't know, or was only just finding out) ... this type of stuff could destroy a lockerroom, destroy trust and plausibly make an x cents on the dollar trade necessary.

I'd also call the Marion Nash years three of his top 5 seasons stat-wise with '05 and '07 being around the same level as '01 (with Kidd) or '03 ('06 clearly the strongest).

Without opining on his merits versus Arizin, I think you're underselling Jones too. I don't really get the circa 26mpg. Jones was 27.3 mpg for his career and that includes at least two back-end years that we'd probably call post-prime. Through '84 he's at 28.5mpg and that brought down by two years in which the first the team went 65-17 (starting 57-9) and didn't need maximise his RS minutes, and then the defending champs after that season (and fo-fi-fo). Those numbers go to 28.4 and 29 through '84 when looking at the playoffs. It's perhaps not a big difference but seems like an undersell for no reason, even more so for his most productive years.

Then when you say not a transcendant player ... well "transcendant" is a very high bar (I wonder where I'd/we'd say that stopped being the case on the list) but the plus minuses are pretty strongly suggestive of big impact.

On the curiosity side of things, iirc both these guys where said to be asthmatics (though Arizin might have disputed this, whilst on Jones' side I think this was one of a list of conditions affecting him: I noted in the last project mentions of heart condition and epilepsy).
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#19 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:32 pm

Runoff Paul Arzin

This isn't an easy vote. Bobby jones is a great defender but Arzin is one of the few superstars left on the board. The 4 all nba's plus I feel a little extra credit should be offered for the guys who did military service.
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,056

Post#20 » by iggymcfrack » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:33 pm

Bobby Jones has been my favorite pre-1990 player for quite a while now. Incredible efficiency that would be elite for any era, and one of the best perimeter defenders of all-time. On a per-minute basis, their raw counting stats are actually pretty similar and even era-adjusted Arizin has a career PER of 19.7 compared to 18.2 for Jones which with Jones’ incredible defense would give him the edge even if the 50s NBA was of similar quality to the 70s and 80s NBA. And it definitely wasn’t. League was super primitive in the 50s just by metrics like height and percentage of black players to say nothing of the limited popularity of the league.

Return to Player Comparisons