What's Your Comp for Ben Simmons Now?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,635

Re: What's Your Comp for Ben Simmons Now? 

Post#41 » by Dez » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:53 am

CelticsWin5 wrote:
CoreyGallagher wrote:
CelticsWin5 wrote:Simmons is 35th not 5th. Tatum is 13th Nice try
https://stats.nba.com/players/defense/?sort=DEF_WS&dir=-1

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2018_advanced.html#advanced_stats::21

And again, WS is correlative to team's wins, so I'm not surprised the rookie playing for the team with the most wins in the league leads in DWS. Not to imply that Tatum isn't playing great defense, because he is, but it's a worthless comparative tool.
Tatum is #1 rookie at 13th Nice try though
You mentioned Simmons almost put up a goose egg the other night, which he ultimately didn't and which isn't relevant to defense, so I asked you how you felt about Tatum having an even worse fshooting night.
fair enough but that was 1 bad shooting night for Tatum all year. Its almost nightly with Simmons efficiency wise
Why did you skip the "Lamar odom without a jumpshot" part of my post? Is it because it's true?

He's a far better creator/distributor than Lamar Odom was so no it's not true.
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Post#42 » by dorkestra » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:04 am

CelticsWin5 wrote:Lamar Odom without a jumpshot and without defense

Completely different players. Odom's best career PG play was probably in Miami during Dwyane Wade's rookie year. He was technically PF, but he was a primary distributor. That year, the best of his career in distributing, is not even close to the level that Ben Simmons is on now as a rookie in terms of distributing. Defensively, Simmons is fantastic and notably better so far than Odom was at this point. The jumpshot thing is a fair point, but not overly relevant; some of the GOAT candidates did not have a good jump shot when they entered the league. A major difference is that Simmons impacts the game without needing to score. Magic had that ability as well and to a lesser extent LeBron (who just tends to be the best scorer on his team anyway).
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#43 » by richboy » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:38 am

ItsThatEasy wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:Poor man's Rajon Rondo

Completely forgot about this one, he was called a 6'10 Rondo very often. I'll add to OP.

Like I said then. 6'10 240lb Rondo would be a top 20 player of all time.

I said when he was in LSU that if you look at him and Magic they played almost identical. After the start of this year I would say again he and Magic are very similar. People that were comparing him to Lamar Odom were crazy. Lamar Odom can barely dribble with his right hand. I wouldn't compare him to Rondo because he not that ball dominate. He is a bigger more athletic version of Magic. He can decide if he wants to be more like Lebron or continue to be like Magic.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
Splashin
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,537

Post#44 » by Splashin » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:40 am

richboy wrote:
ItsThatEasy wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:Poor man's Rajon Rondo

Completely forgot about this one, he was called a 6'10 Rondo very often. I'll add to OP.

Like I said then. 6'10 240lb Rondo would be a top 20 player of all time.

I said when he was in LSU that if you look at him and Magic they played almost identical. After the start of this year I would say again he and Magic are very similar. People that were comparing him to Lamar Odom were crazy. Lamar Odom can barely dribble with his right hand. I wouldn't compare him to Rondo because he not that ball dominate. He is a bigger more athletic version of Magic. He can decide if he wants to be more like Lebron or continue to be like Magic.

Agreed, Rondo is a genius.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,507

Post#45 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:42 am

Kobblehead wrote:Rubio and Rondo needed all of their might to score double digits. Ben averages nearly 18 a game as a rookie.

Giannis without the length.

6'10 Rondo would score a lot more...
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#46 » by richboy » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:44 am

CelticsWin5 wrote:
CoreyGallagher wrote:
CelticsWin5 wrote:Simmons is 35th not 5th. Tatum is 13th Nice try
https://stats.nba.com/players/defense/?sort=DEF_WS&dir=-1

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2018_advanced.html#advanced_stats::21

And again, WS is correlative to team's wins, so I'm not surprised the rookie playing for the team with the most wins in the league leads in DWS. Not to imply that Tatum isn't playing great defense, because he is, but it's a worthless comparative tool.
Tatum is #1 rookie at 13th Nice try though
You mentioned Simmons almost put up a goose egg the other night, which he ultimately didn't and which isn't relevant to defense, so I asked you how you felt about Tatum having an even worse fshooting night.
fair enough but that was 1 bad shooting night for Tatum all year. Its almost nightly with Simmons efficiency wise
Why did you skip the "Lamar odom without a jumpshot" part of my post? Is it because it's true?

Sorry anyone who watches Ben Simmons and thinks he is Lamar Odom doesn't know the game. Odom didn't have a handle. Couldn't dribble with his right hand. Could only go left. Which made it near impossible for him to run an effective offense as a PG. He was really just a good passing big man. Not a 6'10 PG. Ben Simmons is a 6'10 PG. The only thing he doesn't have is a jump shot. In reality that is the only thing saving the league. It isn't like if Lamar Odom had a jump shot he would dominate. In part because his handle really wasn't as good as it would have needed. Ben Simmons with a jump shot has a shot to be Lebron if he chose to play that way.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
KrazySixersD
General Manager
And1: 1,008

Post#47 » by KrazySixersD » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:50 am

simmons is rondo like with absolutely 0 offense ... none... zilch

but his defense is elite

right now I am not too happy with him as I feel his lack of offense and lack of aggressiveness ever since his hack a ben game is costing us wins

if he doesnt develop and offensive game, he is going to be just a taller rondo with better D
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#48 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:01 am

Hack a ben doesnt even make much sense if he's a 60% free throw shooter. Unless you're down a kajillion points, even then its a maybe i think.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Ferulci
Starter
And1: 2,263

Post#49 » by Ferulci » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:06 am

Taller Grant Hill sounds about right.
buckboy wrote:
jg77 wrote:Lavine is my dark horse MVP candidate.

That is the darkest horse that has ever galloped.
Brauer
Bench Warmer
And1: 806

Post#50 » by Brauer » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:07 am

Jesus, are people not afraid of spouting such clearly ignorant views? Like, I personally try not to spout about stuff I know nothing about. Clearly not stopping a large percentage of the people in this forum though.
kowboy
Sophomore
And1: 278

Post#51 » by kowboy » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:13 am

Brauer wrote:Jesus, are people not afraid of spouting such clearly ignorant views? Like, I personally try not to spout about stuff I know nothing about. Clearly not stopping a large percentage of the people in this forum though.

So do you have an opinion on the question being asked or were you just looking for an excuse to post?
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,583

Post#52 » by Syd-TK3 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:13 am

He really needs to get a jump shot
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,635

Post#53 » by Dez » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:15 am

KrazySixersD wrote:simmons is rondo like with absolutely 0 offense ... none... zilch

but his defense is elite

right now I am not too happy with him as I feel his lack of offense and lack of aggressiveness ever since his hack a ben game is costing us wins

if he doesnt develop and offensive game, he is going to be just a taller rondo with better D

You don't average 17 points a game with "zero offense".

His jumper needs work but he's still an offensive threat because he can get wherever he wants on the court at will.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,718

Post#54 » by 76thBearCub » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:17 am

Baller1234a wrote:Lebron in the early years but with less scoring ability (worse shot) and less impactful defense.

3rd option (scoring wise) for a contending team. Think he can be an elite glue guy that does everything but score.

This doesn't seem very well thought out at all.
jg77
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,422

Post#55 » by jg77 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:22 am

Once he adds a jumpshot I see LeBron as the best comparison.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#56 » by Illmatic12 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:26 am

Big Rondo (which is really damn good). I like Simmons a lot but he's extremely passive at creating his own offense.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,718

Post#57 » by 76thBearCub » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:34 am

I get that the thread is based on finding a comparison for him, but there really isn't a good one imo. He's extremely unique, with both his strengths and weaknesses.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,977

Post#58 » by zimpy27 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:01 am

Why don't people just. Ompare him to magic? Is there something about magics game people don't see in Ben?
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,527

Post#59 » by 76ciology » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:09 am

Taller Lonzo Ball
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
BeibsInTheTrap
Sophomore
And1: 140

Post#60 » by BeibsInTheTrap » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:21 am

He was invisible in overtime tonight.

Return to Player Comparisons