What's Your Comp for Ben Simmons Now?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,795

Re: What's Your Comp for Ben Simmons Now? 

Post#61 » by Johnny Bball » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:22 am

Wonā€™t know what he will be until you see what he does with his off-season. Can anyone really compare his work ethic to Magic or LBJ right yet? Because thatā€™s what it will take.
infintybeyond
Rookie
And1: 1,802

Post#62 » by infintybeyond » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:46 am

richboy wrote:
CelticsWin5 wrote:
CoreyGallagher wrote:https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2018_advanced.html#advanced_stats::21

And again, WS is correlative to team's wins, so I'm not surprised the rookie playing for the team with the most wins in the league leads in DWS. Not to imply that Tatum isn't playing great defense, because he is, but it's a worthless comparative tool.
You mentioned Simmons almost put up a goose egg the other night, which he ultimately didn't and which isn't relevant to defense, so I asked you how you felt about Tatum having an even worse fshooting night.
fair enough but that was 1 bad shooting night for Tatum all year. Its almost nightly with Simmons efficiency wise
Why did you skip the "Lamar odom without a jumpshot" part of my post? Is it because it's true?

Sorry anyone who watches Ben Simmons and thinks he is Lamar Odom doesn't know the game. Odom didn't have a handle. Couldn't dribble with his right hand. Could only go left. Which made it near impossible for him to run an effective offense as a PG. He was really just a good passing big man. Not a 6'10 PG. Ben Simmons is a 6'10 PG. The only thing he doesn't have is a jump shot. In reality that is the only thing saving the league. It isn't like if Lamar Odom had a jump shot he would dominate. In part because his handle really wasn't as good as it would have needed. Ben Simmons with a jump shot has a shot to be Lebron if he chose to play that way.

It looks like you don't know the game. Odom definitely had handles and could go right. He had Nenad Krstic on skates.

Odom also had better handles. Simmons crossovers are pretty basic. He uses his speed and athleticism more than anything else. That's what makes him closer to Lebron in comparison instead of Odom. Simmons has killer speed and athleticism for his size.
Simmons handles are nowhere near as advanced as this:
Shammgod between defenders leg. That's as complicated as it gets when it comes to handles.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#63 » by CoreyGallagher » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:50 am

BeibsInTheTrap wrote:He was invisible in overtime tonight.

76ers only got to overtime because of him though, he scored 3 of the final 5 baskets, including the game tying dunk which eventually forced it.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
theonlyclutch
Veteran
And1: 3,562

Post#64 » by theonlyclutch » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:54 am

Less athletic Lebron with no jumper seems like an accurate comparison, his scoring has been going back to earth the last few games (14.2 PPG in December, 15.7 PPG the last 10 games), teams appear to be adjusting to him quickly..
theonlyclutch's AT FGA-limited team - The Malevolent Eight

PG: 2008 Chauncey Billups/ 2013 Kyle Lowry
SG: 2005 Manu Ginobili/2012 James Harden
SF: 1982 Julius Erving
PF: 2013 Matt Bonner/ 2010 Amir Johnson
C: 1977 Kareem Abdul Jabaar
Antinomy
Head Coach
And1: 7,617

Post#65 » by Antinomy » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:31 am

6ā€™10ā€ Rubio that moves around the court like Odom. He doesnā€™t have Magicā€™s ability to control the game or Lebronā€™s ability to enforce his will on the scoring wise.

He definitely has Rubioā€™s tendency to refuse shooting the ball & he has the natural feel for the game to play-make. Just the way he gets up & down the court reminds me of Odom though. He has a bit of unorthodoxness to his game like Antwan Jamison did around the basket

Looking at his stats & comparing him to Lebron is lazy. They are almost nothing alike. I can see the Magic comp fairly though
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#66 » by PLO » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:10 am

KrazySixersD wrote:simmons is rondo like with absolutely 0 offense ... none... zilch

but his defense is elite

right now I am not too happy with him as I feel his lack of offense and lack of aggressiveness ever since his hack a ben game is costing us wins

if he doesnt develop and offensive game, he is going to be just a taller rondo with better D

It strikes me, after reading your posts and with all due respect, that you know next to nothing about the game of basketball.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#67 » by richboy » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:21 am

infintybeyond wrote:
richboy wrote:
CelticsWin5 wrote: fair enough but that was 1 bad shooting night for Tatum all year. Its almost nightly with Simmons efficiency wise
Why did you skip the "Lamar odom without a jumpshot" part of my post? Is it because it's true?

Sorry anyone who watches Ben Simmons and thinks he is Lamar Odom doesn't know the game. Odom didn't have a handle. Couldn't dribble with his right hand. Could only go left. Which made it near impossible for him to run an effective offense as a PG. He was really just a good passing big man. Not a 6'10 PG. Ben Simmons is a 6'10 PG. The only thing he doesn't have is a jump shot. In reality that is the only thing saving the league. It isn't like if Lamar Odom had a jump shot he would dominate. In part because his handle really wasn't as good as it would have needed. Ben Simmons with a jump shot has a shot to be Lebron if he chose to play that way.

It looks like you don't know the game. Odom definitely had handles and could go right. He had Nenad Krstic on skates.

Odom also had better handles. Simmons crossovers are pretty basic. He uses his speed and athleticism more than anything else. That's what makes him closer to Lebron in comparison instead of Odom. Simmons has killer speed and athleticism for his size.
Shammgod between defenders leg. That's as complicated as it gets when it comes to handles.

Please don't give me a mix highlight tape and start talking about crossovers. When we are discussing handles. This is about having the handle to run an offense. Not can you do a crossover. This isn't the And1 tour. Everybody knows Odom has weakness going to his right. Getting a highlight of a move going to his right doesn't mean it wasn't a weakness. It was a huge weakness. Everybody would play Lamar for his left and if he couldn't get there he often would turn the ball over trying to go right. He didn't have enough handle to be a real point guard.

I'm sorry but the Odom comparison is just ridiculous. It screams well I see a big guy that has a handle and can pass but not much a shooter. Must be like Odom. Just like the fools that say Odom and compared him to Magic. Magic was a point guard Odom was always just a good passer for his position. As a ball handler he was below average compared to most small forwards. When he moved to Power Forward he was a tougher matchup. Ben Simmons has to guard and be guarded by point guards at times. Doesn't matter the defender or ball pressure he is just fine running the offense.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
CelticsWin5
Senior
And1: 377

Post#68 » by CelticsWin5 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:27 am

richboy wrote:
infintybeyond wrote:
richboy wrote:

Please don't give me a mix highlight tape and start talking about crossovers. When we are discussing handles. This is about having the handle to run an offense. Not can you do a crossover. This isn't the And1 tour. Everybody knows Odom has weakness going to his right. Getting a highlight of a move going to his right doesn't mean it wasn't a weakness. It was a huge weakness. Everybody would play Lamar for his left and if he couldn't get there he often would turn the ball over trying to go right. He didn't have enough handle to be a real point guard.

I'm sorry but the Odom comparison is just ridiculous. It screams well I see a big guy that has a handle and can pass but not much a shooter. Must be like Odom. Just like the fools that say Odom and compared him to Magic. Magic was a point guard Odom was always just a good passer for his position. As a ball handler he was below average compared to most small forwards. When he moved to Power Forward he was a tougher matchup. Ben Simmons has to guard and be guarded by point guards at times. Doesn't matter the defender or ball pressure he is just fine running the offense.

The Odom comparison is not ridiculous. He literally gave you video proof showing why itā€™s legitimate and you write it off with something about magic Johnson. A lot of drag scout websites also wrote they see Odom without a jumper. Itā€™s not ridiculous if a lot of people see the same thing. We all see it except you apparently
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,776

Post#69 » by Upperclass » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:51 am

If Odom were playing today, he would run the offense for whatever team he was on that didn't have LeBron or KD, CP3 or Harden. He's the same prospect as Ben, but with better skills. Touch, Handle, IQ. Their gulf is due to the fact that Ben has been groomed as the chosen one, while Odom was just a guy. If you place Ben in 2002, then he becomes a PF like Charles Smith, but without the jumpshot.
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#70 » by SlowPaced » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:27 am

richboy wrote:Sorry anyone who watches Ben Simmons and thinks he is Lamar Odom doesn't know the game. Odom didn't have a handle. Couldn't dribble with his right hand. Could only go left. Which made it near impossible for him to run an effective offense as a PG. He was really just a good passing big man.

The way Simmons moves is almost identical to young Lamar Odom. He's not full on Lamar Odom, more adept at running point, which is why I said cross between Odom and Magic, but to not see the similarities is asinine.
SkyHookFTW
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,097

Post#71 » by SkyHookFTW » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:03 pm

CelticsWin5 wrote:Lamar Odom without a jumpshot and without defense

Have you watched him play? He is a willing and able defender.
"It's scarier than Charles Barkley at an all you can eat buffet." --Shaq on Shark Week
"My secret to getting rebounds? It's called go get the damn ball." --Charles Barkley
infintybeyond
Rookie
And1: 1,802

Post#72 » by infintybeyond » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:35 pm

richboy wrote:
infintybeyond wrote:
richboy wrote:

What do you think handles are? They are the moves/crossovers that you can pull off with ball control. Talk to anyone that plays pickup basketball. It's where the term handles came from.

I don't think you watched Lamar play. If you did, how can you make the claim he doesn't have handles and can't go right? You are exaggerating Odom's weakness going right. Yes, he preferred to go to left, his dominant hand, but he could also go right which he did numerous times with crossovers and spin moves. His handles were solid. His weakness was his confidence and consistency.

Listen to what Kenny says: Don't get fooled by the handle. There's no hand check.

Everyone's handles look impressive when there's no hand check. They can get to anywhere on the court with basic dribbles like Lebron and Ben. What sets these two apart from everyone else at that similar size is their speed and athleticism. They can blow by players with simple hesitations and crossovers because they are freakishly fast for their size. Kyrie has to use a combination of moves to get by defenders while Lebron just uses a simple hesitation dribble. It's his speed that kills his defenders. Same goes for Simmons.
Spintown
Starter
And1: 2,667

Post#73 » by Spintown » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:01 pm

Boris Diaw
CelticsWin5
Senior
And1: 377

Post#74 » by CelticsWin5 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:16 pm

SkyHookFTW wrote:
CelticsWin5 wrote:Lamar Odom without a jumpshot and without defense

Have you watched him play? He is a willing and able defender.

no he isnt. has your big baller brand shoes arrived in the mail yet?
deflated
Sophomore
And1: 74

Post#75 » by deflated » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:50 pm

CoreyGallagher wrote:
BeibsInTheTrap wrote:He was invisible in overtime tonight.

76ers only got to overtime because of him though, he scored 3 of the final 5 baskets, including the game tying dunk which eventually forced it.

Have to wonder if the minutes are starting to get to him. 9th in minutes per game, 36+ minutes a night; as a rookie that's got to catch up to him eventually.
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,664

Post#76 » by hype_2004 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:07 pm

Grant Hill pre-injury, smooth, high IQ player, great passer, good rebounder does everything well.
ItsThatEasy
Analyst
And1: 5,031

Post#77 » by ItsThatEasy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:22 pm

I made this thread in December, 4 months later has anyone's opinion changed?

I've seen much more Magic Johnson comps thrown out as the season progresses.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,604

Post#78 » by Ice Man » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:29 pm

He's as close to Magic Johnson as any player I have ever seen. Closer than I ever figured a guy would be.
ItsThatEasy
Analyst
And1: 5,031

Post#79 » by ItsThatEasy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:30 pm

Ice Man wrote:He's as close to Magic Johnson as any player I have ever seen. Closer than I ever figured a guy would be.

Agreed.

Honestly I'm happy about it, it'll make younger fans appreciate Magic much more.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,776

Post#80 » by Upperclass » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:49 pm

lonzo ball

Return to Player Comparisons