The Lebron Thread (2017 - 18 Pt. 2)

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,603

Re: The Lebron Thread (2017 - 18 Pt. 2) 

Post#1641 » by Heej » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:39 am

The fact that Curry is one of the few help defenders at the PG position that actually matters is a huge feather in his cap. Dude has size, length, instincts, and smarts. Plus his rebounding at his position is no joke. He's a highly underrated rebounder imo, especially as a PG.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,832

Post#1642 » by Joao Saraiva » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:52 am

Dupp wrote:John Stockton basically has double career assists Lebron has. That is insane.

The most impressive is how he got them. The Jazz had no real great floor spacers in the end of the 80s and begining of the 90s... and had Mark Eaton that was an offensive cancer. Still in the half court he could find players from every possible angle for them to score near the basket, even with big confusion in the paint.

I really think he's on the Magic statosphere... challanging him for the GOAT playmaker.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,603

Post#1643 » by Heej » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:07 pm

Joao Saraiva wrote:
Dupp wrote:John Stockton basically has double career assists Lebron has. That is insane.

The most impressive is how he got them. The Jazz had no real great floor spacers in the end of the 80s and begining of the 90s... and had Mark Eaton that was an offensive cancer. Still in the half court he could find players from every possible angle for them to score near the basket, even with big confusion in the paint.

I really think he's on the Magic statosphere... challanging him for the GOAT playmaker.

When I watch his highlights the one thing I appreciate more than even his insane accuracy is how much zip he had on his passes. Passes that need to be bounce passes for average PGs to avoid getting deflected were just rifled in with the perfect touch. Magic had that too. LeBron has more of the textbook bounce passes in his game and cross-court lasers that are high degree of difficulty in their own right, but nothing like Stockton's lasers from the top of the arc into the paint
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,832

Post#1644 » by Joao Saraiva » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:18 pm

Heej wrote:
Joao Saraiva wrote:

When I watch his highlights the one thing I appreciate more than even his insane accuracy is how much zip he had on his passes. Passes that need to be bounce passes for average PGs to avoid getting deflected were just rifled in with the perfect touch. Magic had that too. LeBron has more of the textbook bounce passes in his game and cross-court lasers that are high degree of difficulty in their own right, but nothing like Stockton's lasers from the top of the arc into the paint

It's diferent. To start LeBron gets the attention to stop him from scoring that Stockton didn't. He just couldn't score at the rate of LBJ, and that's fine. LeBron is one of the best scorers ever.

LeBron is also taller and stronger, so he also profits from doubles in the post and has more kick and drive effect.

Stockton is more pure playmaking. Reading pick&roll situations, read picks away from the ball, post movements... Stockton was a better passer than LeBron. LeBron has diferent tools with his playmaking... and well I can't take that away from LeBron, but Stockton overall was a better playmaker/passer. And yes Magic had that too, and so did Bird and Nash. However I think Stockton was either the best of the group in that particular regard or 2nd best to Magic.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#1645 » by RSCD3_ » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:49 pm

bondom34 wrote:Durant may be the most overrated defender in the league.

And curry is underrated defensively, oh he cant survive a lebron-irving pick and roll too well? Well neither can 25 other starting point guards. LeBron on any point guard is a weakness but people act like curry is IT because he cant handle the hardest of assignments
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
Arman_tanzarian
Veteran
And1: 2,712

Post#1646 » by Arman_tanzarian » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:08 pm

LikeABosh wrote:
Arman_tanzarian wrote:
Larry David wrote:

all things considered probably the goat level of basketball Image

Hands down that is the highest level of basketball I've ever seen a player reach.

Side note, look how much better TT used to look. He was slimmer and quicker here. I haven't seen that TT since that year's Finals.

Lebron trash-talking and giving that look to Curry is probably my favorite Lebron moment. Might even like it more than the intense stare in the game 6 @ Boston

Yup, at that point LeBron knew he was in Curry's and GSW's head and Curry knew LeBron knew this at that point.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,968

Post#1647 » by RCM88x » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:36 am

One day I'll understand why the Cavs are obsessed with marginal perimeter players and refuse to have anyone over 7ft on the roster.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#1648 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:01 pm

I was just thinking... there is no way LeBron is a Magic/Jordan hybrid. He'd pretty much have to be Jesus Christ himself in-order to earn that.

I think a more accurate comparison is a Karl Malone/Scottie Pippen hybrid. Essentially he's Scottie Pippen with tremendous size, strength, durability and longevity.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,968

Post#1649 » by RCM88x » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:22 pm

He's a Magic/DrJ hybrid.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,482

Post#1650 » by Jaivl » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:47 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:I was just thinking... there is no way LeBron is a Magic/Jordan hybrid. He'd pretty much have to be Jesus Christ himself in-order to earn that.

I think a more accurate comparison is a Karl Malone/Scottie Pippen hybrid. Essentially he's Scottie Pippen with tremendous size, strength, durability and longevity.

LeBron is tiers ahead of Pippen as a playmaker and shooter.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM

Post#1651 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:59 pm

Jaivl wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:I was just thinking... there is no way LeBron is a Magic/Jordan hybrid. He'd pretty much have to be Jesus Christ himself in-order to earn that.

Not really. Pippen was just as capable as playing PG, and prime Scottie Pippen was taking about five 3's a game and shooting 36%.

LeBron shoots 34% for his career and he grew up in the 3 point era. He's been shooting 35% on 5 attempts since arriving to Cleveland.

LeBrons 3pt percentages when he took at least 4 per game

Pippens 3pt percentages when he took at least 4 per game

Considering the eras they played in there isn't much difference.
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,759

Re: RE: Re: The Lebron Thread (2017 - 18 Pt. 2) 

Post#1652 » by SactoKingsFan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:10 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
Jaivl wrote:

Not really. Pippen was just as capable as playing PG, and prime Scottie Pippen was taking about five 3's a game and shooting 36%.

LeBron shoots 34% for his career and he grew up in the 3 point era. He's been shooting 35% on 5 attempts since arriving to Cleveland.

Pippen was only a 36% 3PT shooter for 2 seasons and that was with a shorter 3PT line.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3T using Tapatalk
Sublime187
Rookie
And1: 1,092

Post#1653 » by Sublime187 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:21 pm

What? Lebron is well ahead of both Pippen and Malone on offense skill wise it is not just a difference of size and longevity...
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: The Lebron Thread (2017 - 18 Pt. 2) 

Post#1654 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:40 pm

SactoKingsFan wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
Jaivl wrote:LeBron is tiers ahead of Pippen as a playmaker and shooter.

Pippen was only a 36% 3PT shooter for 2 seasons and that was with a shorter 3PT line.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3T using Tapatalk

The point still stands. The gap between them was minimal, especially when you consider the era.
Ainosterhaspie
Starter
And1: 2,231

Post#1655 » by Ainosterhaspie » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:35 pm

I'd say he's a Magic/Jordan/Malone hybrid personally. He has really close to Magic's playmaking, really close to Jordan's athleticism and scoring talent, and all that with a Malone frame and durability. He doesn't score as much as Jordan, but he doesn't shoot as much as him either because he's passing more. He doesn't get as many assists as Magic, but that because he's so good at scoring that he shouldn't be trying to assist that much. He's also never played with Kareem level talent to feed.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM

Post#1656 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:13 pm

Ainosterhaspie wrote:

I'd say he's a Magic/Jordan/Malone hybrid personally. He has really close to Magic's playmaking, really close to Jordan's athleticism and scoring talent, and all that with a Malone frame and durability. He doesn't score as much as Jordan, but he doesn't shoot as much as him either because he's passing more. He doesn't get as many assists as Magic, but that because he's so good at scoring that he shouldn't be trying to assist that much. He's also never played with Kareem level talent to feed.

His play making doesn't even come close to Magic Johnson. There is nothing there other than the height and the fact that they can both play PG. Magic is leaps and bounds ahead of him in that department. I can not stress enough that this is in no way accurate. LeBrons passing is much more similar to that of Jordan or Pippen.

His athleticism is very different from Jordans. Jordan had much larger hands and proportionately longer arms. He used better foot work and quickness to get to where he wanted, while LeBron is more likely to use his power. There are very few similarities between Jordan and LeBron.

Kobe was like Jordan, though not as good. LeBron isn't like Jordan... and no one is like Magic.

Like them he is an all-time great, but he's not at all like them as a player.
dreamshake
Starter
And1: 2,449

Post#1657 » by dreamshake » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:56 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:His play making doesn't even come close to Magic Johnson. There is nothing there other than the height and the fact that they can both play PG. Magic is leaps and bounds ahead of him in that department. I can not stress enough that this is in no way accurate. LeBrons passing is much more similar to that of Jordan or Pippen.

Completely disagree.

Career AST%
Magic 40.9
LeBron 35.4
Jordan 24.9
Pippen 23.1

IMO LeBron is much closer to Magic than to MJ/Pip as a passer, both in type of passes as well as impact/effectiveness of passing. I think the stats back that up.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM

Post#1658 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:14 pm

dreamshake wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:His play making doesn't even come close to Magic Johnson. There is nothing there other than the height and the fact that they can both play PG. Magic is leaps and bounds ahead of him in that department. I can not stress enough that this is in no way accurate. LeBrons passing is much more similar to that of Jordan or Pippen.

Completely disagree.

Career AST%
Magic 40.9
LeBron 35.4
Jordan 24.9
Pippen 23.1

IMO LeBron is much closer to Magic than to MJ/Pip as a passer, both in type of passes as well as impact/effectiveness of passing. I think the stats back that up.

John Wall 42.47
Russell Westbrook 42.27

That's the percentage of the teams assist that you get. LeBron's an ISO player that likes to be surrounded by shooters. That's why his team usually ranks near the bottom of the league in passing. That doesn't make him a great play-maker like Magic Johnson.

Guys like Nash, Stockton, and Magic are WAY above the likes of LeBron. That's not an insult, he just isn't close.
dreamshake
Starter
And1: 2,449

Post#1659 » by dreamshake » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:38 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
dreamshake wrote:

Completely disagree.

Career AST%
Magic 40.9
LeBron 35.4
Jordan 24.9
Pippen 23.1

John Wall 42.47
Russell Westbrook 42.27

That's the percentage of the teams assist that you get. LeBron's an ISO player that likes to be surrounded by shooters. That's why his team usually ranks near the bottom of the league in passing. That doesn't make him a great play-maker like Magic Johnson.

Guys like Nash, Stockton, and Magic are WAY above the likes of LeBron. That's not an insult, he just isn't close.

So you posted 2 more really good playmakers? I mean I agree that AST% isn't a perfect measure of playmaking. One difference between LeBron and the guys you posted though is that LeBron has put up those AST%s while leading some all-time great level offenses (as have Magic, Nash - and currently Harden). Check the Ortg of some of those Cavs/Heat offenses in the all-time rankings.
Missing Rings
Bench Warmer
And1: 774

Post#1660 » by Missing Rings » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:52 pm

The issue with these comparisons is that Scottie Pippen and Karl Malone are simply lesser players than LeBron and people are taking offense to that.

For me personally, LeBron is as unique as it gets. He has vision comparable to Magic Johnson (albeit not as great) and his basketball IQ is simply in the "god tier", ahead of someone like Michael Jordan or Scottie Pippen. LeBron's ability to score the basketball is unique in that he has the body frame of a player like Karl Malone but the ability to drive and react on the fly like Russell Westbrook. His shooting from mid-range isn't as good as Michael Jordan, but it is much better than Scottie Pippen. LeBron's footwork isn't in the level of Kobe Bryant's, but it is still great and much better than 95% of the NBA at any given time period.

Return to Player Comparisons