Pablo Novi wrote:.

john248 wrote:.

mdonnelly1989 wrote:.

Senior wrote:.

twolves97 wrote:.

CodeBreaker wrote:.

JoeMalburg wrote:.

dhsilv2 wrote:.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Re: RealGM 2017 Top 100 #78 

Post#2 » by penbeast0 » Thu Jan 4, 2018 7:00 pm

Starting to get to the pretty good for awhile type players. But, I tend to prefer the strong impact for about 5 years over the good but not great for 10 types (though I don't get desperate enough to vote for Walton as great as he was in his one complete year as a starter).

Vote: Mel Daniels
Alternate: Larry Nance

Mel Daniels is certainly the only multiple MVP winner left. Daniels was the best player on two championship teams plus a willing support role on a third championship though in a weak league (probably better than the pre-Russell 50s though). I tend to value defense, particularly for big men, and Mel was basically the original Alonzo Mourning with more rebounding but less shotblocking. He was a 1st round NBA pick (the first to sign with the ABA) and in the NBA would probably have been one of the best centers as well, not in the Jabbar league but then neither was anyone else, but contending with Unseld/Cowens for the rebounding leaderboard and 2nd team All-Defense and with 15-20ppg scoring on limited range (He did a lot of outside shooting his first year . . . badly; coaching of the day didn't like centers out of the post though). Like Zo, his playmaking was mediocre but in addition to strong rebounding and defense, he was Indiana's intimidator, in a league where everyone was trying to make a name for themselves. And, he did it without major foul trouble issues. The two MVPs show he was valued above his box scores.

It is reasonable to compare Daniels to Kawhi Leonard as they have similar length of career by now. Kawhi brings excellent wing defense early on, but Daniels was probably more impactful defensively as intimidating defensive centers tend to be (especially in the 20th century). Kawhi's defense is still good and his scoring has blown up, a clearly better option than Daniels; also clearly a better passer. Daniels brings rebounding and toughness at a level equal to guys like Wes Unseld or Dave Cowens who are already in from his era (other league). I think the impact Daniels brought was appreciably higher in his league than that Kawhi has in the current league, enough to overcome the much weaker league he played in. Connie Hawkins would be another early ABA guy, higher peak than Daniels, shorter career though he did have a 1st team All-NBA between his first and second major knee injury. More of a career than Walton, less than Daniels. With careers this short, the difference is magnified. Of the bunch, I rate Daniels the highest.

James Worthy is the next guy I have been looking at. Was never a fan of his but he was the Lakers version of Kevin McHale (highly efficient second scorer with good defense and weak rebounding who had a history of stepping up in clutch time). But I think Owly has convinced me that Larry Nance looks stronger, very similar to Marion. If Worthy doesn't have a big advantage in playoff numbers, the Nance's shotblocking (probably the greatest ever outside of the true centers) gives him a strong case.

Bill Sharman is probably the best 50s guy left, Greer or Bellamy from the 60s (Bells wasn't a great team player but it was a center's league). Paul Silas or David Thompson from the 70s? Worthy from the 80s (ahead of Bernard King or Mark Aquirre who were the Carmelos of their day). Rodman from the 90s and Ben Wallace from the 00s for pure defensive impact. Mark Gasol of Kawhi Leonard for active players? Help me out here, I know I'm forgetting some legit contenders.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,706

Post#3 » by scrabbarista » Thu Jan 4, 2018 11:33 pm

78th - Dan Issel
79th - Ben Wallace

Issel was a key contributor - anywhere from the 2nd best to 4th best player - on a championship team in the ABA and has incredibly consistent long-term production. It could be argued that his "prime" was 13 or 14 years long. In fact, he had a PER over 20.0 for twelve seasons, and in 15 seasons, his three lowest PERS were 17, 17, and 18.

In pts, rebs, asts, stls, and blocks, he is 34th all-time, but that includes a minus 20% penalty on his five seasons of ABA play. Really, he is about ten spots higher.

He was an All-Star from the age of 22-28 (seven times), but his legacy is tarnished by the fact that this only includes one NBA season.

In ten NBA seasons, his PER was 21.1. In five ABA seasons, it was 21.8

In the NBA, his WS/48 was .181. In the ABA, it was .182.

In those 15 seasons, Issel's lowest games played was 76, when he was 35 years old.

Basically, Issel is maybe the most consistent player in professional basketball history. Maybe that's why they called him "Horse."
pandrade83
Starter
And1: 604

Post#4 » by pandrade83 » Fri Jan 5, 2018 1:08 am

Primary Vote: Larry Nance
Alternate: Tim Hardaway

I think Nance gets lost in the shuffle a bit historically.

New Material since Post #75

Nance has a legit to clear claim for being the best player on 4 successful teams post merger - 2 Conference Finals teams ('84 Suns, '92 Cavs) the #1 team in SRS ('89 Cavs) & the #4 SRS team in '83 (Suns). Very few players left have that sort of capability. While it's true that the surrounding talent on those teams was all quite high - it takes a top level player to be of that caliber over teams spread that far apart. He leads all the aforementioned teams in WS & VORP & he has outstanding box score ORTG/DRTG differentials that lead those squads (+13, +12, +18, +20 respectively).

A typical year is 19-8-3-1 steal, 2.5 blocks on really strong shooting metrics with good turnover economy especially for a big and strong defense (3 X All-Defense) and he delivers 11 such years.

Amongst post merger remaining players, he is 6th in career WS & 2nd in VORP and 3rd in PER with career minutes exceeding 30 K.

In years where he suffers injuries in prime, the impact on team performance is clear.

'85 - 29-32 with, 7-14 without (+12)
'86 - 29-44 with, 3-6 without (+6)
'87 - 32-37 with, 4-9 without (+13)
'89 - 51-22 with, 6-3 without (+2)
'90 - 35-27 with, 7-13 without (+17)

Qualitatively there's a lot to love. I'll wrap up on a video against a playoff elimination game against one of the GOAT Teams - '92 Chicago when Nance is at age 32.

Note that he takes the opening tip at age 32 over taller Brad Daugherty.

Nance shows good range, intelligent movement without the ball, quality passer, strong help defender, solid post moves.

I'd rather have 11 years of that than anything anyone else has to offer at this stage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll post more once it's truly his turn but some of the talking points for Hardaway:

Awards/Accolades
5 X All-NBA - running out of guys who achieved that post merger
3 Top 10 MVP finishes - running out of guys who achieved that post merger

Metrics
-Everyone else who is a multi-year member of the 20-9-54% TS Club is in
-Strong TO economy for how much he had the ball with most prime seasons < 14% TO rate
-3 years of +20 PER & 10+WS* ('91 was 9.9) & BPM of 4 or higher
-Registers 2nd in NPI RAPM in '97, 11th in '01, unweighted chained 5 year NPI RAPM from '97-'01 places him inside the Top 20 in a typical year - this is when he's in the back half of his prime.

Impact on winning
-Led a repeat Division winner that won 61 games & made the ECF in WS
-Averaged 25-11-3 steals in the '91 playoffs that included an upset of the Spurs
-Averaged 26-7 in '98 Playoffs
penbeast0

Post#5 » by penbeast0 » Fri Jan 5, 2018 5:10 am

Loved Nance but he wasn't all that strong. He was athletic and quick with amazing hops, but his main weakness defensively was that he got pushed deep against strong post players since he didn't have the bulk to keep them off their sweet spots. Regular season I have him above Worthy, postseason, I have to be convinced.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,322

Post#6 » by Clyde Frazier » Fri Jan 5, 2018 5:14 pm

Vote 1 - Hal Greer

Vote 2 - Carmelo Anthony

Reasoning from past threads:

Spoiler:
- 15 year career (all with same franchise)
- 7x all NBA 2nd team
- 1 top 10 MVP finish
- Sixers all time leader in games played, minutes played, FGM, total points

Looking at greer, cunningham and carmelo. Also compared them to brand and parker. I came away most impressed with greer’s overall body of work. He had marked consistency throughout his career, along with impressive durability and longevity for his time. He played in 79+ games in 10 of his 15 seasons, which spanned from 59-73. He scored on above average efficiency relative to his era, putting up the following #s from 61-70:

22 PPG, 5.6 RPG, 4.4 APG, 45.4% FG, 80.3% FT (6 FTAs per game), 51% TS, .135 WS/48

He performed similarly in the playoffs, playing a major role in the 67 sixers championship run, commonly considered one of the best teams of all time:

27.7 PPG, 5.9 RPG, 5.3 APG, 42.9% FG, 79.7% FT (7.9 FTAs per game), 48.7% TS (league avg that yr 49.3%), .130 WS/48

"I knew Hal when I got there [as the Sixers' business manager] in '68. I was with him for one year," said Pat Williams, who was raised in Wilmington and later became the Sixers' general manager for 12 seasons. "Tough little bulldog. He was tough as nails. And quiet. Didn't talk much ... but would just go out and perform. Maybe the best middle distance jump shooter of all-time. You could argue that. That 15-, 16-, 17-foot range. It was like a layup to him.”

http://www.apbr.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4498

It’s been echoed elsewhere that he had the best mid range jumper of his generation. Also effective on both ends of the floor, and could post you up on either baseline. Stayed within the confines of his game, which ultimately led to team success. If he had range out to 17 feet, it stands to reason he would’ve been able to develop a 3 pointer in this era.

Some great videos on the 67 sixers from (I believe) our own Dipper 13:

More insight on Greer per Dipper 13:

Tremendous athlete as well, great agility & quickness and could stop on a dime and pull up. It is not surprising to see Greer fall this low, seeing as he apparently was underrated by most even during his playing days. Not being a self promoter or big interview with the press will do that, plus he was overshadowed by Wilt during some of his best years. I'm sure if the Sixers had repeated in 1968, then Greer would have been voted in well before this point. Wilt even said he was on par with Robertson or West, for what it is worth.

Season of the 76ers: the story of Wilt Chamberlain and the 1967 NBA champions - Wayne Lynch

"I think I'm better than the fourth guard," Greer told reporters. "You gotta realize that Oscar is the greatest. Jerry West is right behind Oscar, but I think I should be up there. I think I'm on a par with West.

Dynasty's End: Bill Russell And the 1968-69 World Champion Boston Celtics - Thomas J. Whalen

"Hal needs a certain amount of recognition to show people that he's on par with Robertson and West," All-Star teammate Wilt Chamberlain said afterward.

Greer needed no convincing himself. He knew he was the equal of any elite guard in the league, and that included Sam Jones of the Celtics. "He's on a team where they work for him," Greer said. "Our team is balanced. We're a team all the way. We don't work for one guy. Sam doesn't really have to work for his shots. They work for him. He's strictly offense, I'm offense plus I move the ball, too. I move on the fast break." Always intense and demanding of himself as a player, Greer strove for nothing short of basketball perfection in every contest. "After a game," he once revealed, "I think about the mistakes I made on defense that night. Sometimes I stay up all night thinking about defense, like after I've been chasing Oscar all over the court. That's enough to keep any man awake."'

The Sun - Nov 16, 1965

It's generally acknowledged in basketball circles that there are three superstar backcourters, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West and Sam Jones . . . and then there's Philadelphia's Hal Greer. Greer is the most underrated player in the league. He's among the top five in my opinion. Teammate Al Bianchi adds, "He has to be one of the greatest backcourt shooters ever." He rates with Sharman, Robertson, and West when it comes to hitting the 15-20 foot jumper.

The league alerted everybody about West and Bailey Howell nearing 10,000 points. Forgot Greer of course. "My wife and I talk about it a lot", admits the eight year veteran who climbed over the 10,000 figure with 33 tallies at New York's expense Saturday night. Howell and West reached it Sunday. "I don't like it but what can you do about it. As long as we're winning that's the important thing. The ink is all right but winning is the thing. I think I'm better than the fourth guard in the league."

The Black Athlete: Emergence & Arrival - 1968

No one in basketball is more effective than Hal Greer at sprinting down the middle of the court on a fast break, stopping just beyond the keyhole and scoring on a jump shot. "Hal," said one NBA coach, "has the finest middle-distance shot in the game." From fifteen to eighteen feet, Greer is more deadly than the Big O." At 6 ft. 3 in. and 178 pounds, Greer frequently gives away 40 pounds and 6 inches to NBA adversaries assigned to shutting off the middle. The key to Greer's success, therefore, is maneuverability and speed. Particularly speed.

Great teams of pro basketball - 1971

First there was Hal Greer, one of the best guards in the game. He was fast. "I must be fast," Greer said, "always, always quick. The day I slow down I'm finished." And he was a constant scoring threat. Said his former coach, Dolph Schayes, "Hal has the finest middle-distance shot in the game. From 15 to 18 feet, Hal is more deadly than Oscar Robertson." At 6'2", 175 pounds, Greer was agile, strong and not prone to injury. An eight-year veteran of NBA play, he could be counted on to average 20 points a game and contribute steadily in assists.

The Game Within the Game - Walt Frazier

Hal Greer: Productive, Consistent and Durable

This article originally appeared in the January 2006 issue of Hoop.

Star Guard on a Team for the Ages

Hal Greer made the All-NBA Second Team seven straight years but never was selected to the All-NBA First Team. That’s what happens when you play during the same era as Oscar Robertson and Jerry West, but Greer--a 10-time All-Star who was honored as one of the NBA’s 50 Greatest Players--accomplished something that neither Robertson nor West did: being the leading playoff scorer on a team that defeated Bill Russell’s Boston Celtics in the playoffs and went on to win an NBA championship.

Russell’s Celtics won eight straight titles and 11 in 13 seasons, but many observers still maintain that the greatest single season team in NBA history is the 1966-67 Philadelphia 76ers. The Sixers beat Boston 4-1 in the Eastern Division finals and then defeated the Rick Barry-Nate Thurmond San Francisco Warriors in the NBA Finals. Greer produced 27.7 ppg, 5.9 rpg and 5.3 apg in the playoffs, while his teammate Wilt Chamberlain posted these mind-boggling numbers: 21.7 ppg, 29.1 rpg and 9.0 apg. Hall of Famer and Top 50 selection Billy Cunningham, the sixth man on the 1967 championship team, says, “Hal Greer was such a smart player. In his mind he had a book about every player he played against and what he had to do to make sure that he got free to get shots. He was probably as fine a screener as a guard as anybody. The thing about it was he knew that if he set a good screen then he would be open because he would force a switch and he would end up being matched up with a bigger, slower player that he knew he could easily beat to get whatever shot he wanted.”

Remember the old shoe commercial with playground legend Lamar Mundane? The voiceover said that Mundane would shoot as soon as he crossed midcourt and the fans would yell, “Layup!” That would be a good way to describe Hal Greer’s top of the key jump shot; Sixers coach Alex Hannum said that Greer made that shot at a 70% clip and gave Greer the green light to launch from that range whenever he was open. Greer’s jump shot was so fluid and so deadly that he shot his free throws that way, connecting on better than 80% of his career attempts. Cunningham offers high praise for Greer’s jump shot: “It was as good as anybody’s who ever played the game. I think the beauty of Hal Greer’s game is that he knew where he was most effective and he never shot the ball from an area where he was not completely confident and comfortable. He never went outside of 18-20 feet maximum, but he was deadly and he had the ability to get to that spot.”

The Palm Beach Post - Apr 2, 1967

"Greer plays the complete game,' said Hannum, "He's an offensive threat every minute he's in there. He has the perfect disposition, is well liked by everybody. We wouldn't have near the record this team has without Hal. You hear about our powerful front line of Wilt, Luke Jackson, Chet Walker and Billy Cunningham, but Greer's outside shooting helps make this possible."

Greer admits that the toughest guard in the league against him is Boston's K.C. Jones, but denies the rap placed on him by some writers that he gets "K.C.-itus"

"The three best games of my career have been against Boston," he notes. "I scored 50 points against them my first year in the league, 45 against them here, and 38 this season in Boston."

While he is recognized generally as one of the top offensive players in the game, few people are aware that Greer can play defense with the best. Often, Hannum will send Greer after Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, Rick Barry, or Sam Jones, at least until the 76ers' guard gets into foul difficulty.
pandrade83
Starter
And1: 604

Post#7 » by pandrade83 » Fri Jan 5, 2018 6:05 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Loved Nance but he wasn't all that strong. He was athletic and quick with amazing hops, but his main weakness defensively was that he got pushed deep against strong post players since he didn't have the bulk to keep them off their sweet spots. Regular season I have him above Worthy, postseason, I have to be convinced.

I think that’s a fair critique of nance - although he’s a much better defensive player than worthy.

Anyway - wrt playoffs: worthy has a slight edge in per (18.3. Vs 18.1) while nance has the edge in ws/48 and bpm. Typing from my phone so gotta be brief but I think most of the perceived edge for worthy comes from memorable moments even though his actual performance isn’t superior to nance.
penbeast0

Post#8 » by penbeast0 » Fri Jan 5, 2018 7:05 pm

I think I like Worthy's defense a lot more than you do, though Nance's shotblocking was pretty special.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,536

Post#9 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Jan 5, 2018 7:37 pm

Vote Hal Greer

Long, 22/5/5 type 2nd all-NBA caliber career. Great speed and shooting. Yes his era was weaker, but his career for his era was better than a Paul Pierce type player who got in ages ago. He's been downgraded enough for falling this far.

2nd: James Worthy
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,015

Post#10 » by Owly » Fri Jan 5, 2018 8:19 pm

pandrade83 wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:Loved Nance but he wasn't all that strong. He was athletic and quick with amazing hops, but his main weakness defensively was that he got pushed deep against strong post players since he didn't have the bulk to keep them off their sweet spots. Regular season I have him above Worthy, postseason, I have to be convinced.

I think that’s a fair critique of nance - although he’s a much better defensive player than worthy.

Anyway - wrt playoffs: worthy has a slight edge in per (18.3. Vs 18.1) while nance has the edge in ws/48 and bpm. Typing from my phone so gotta be brief but I think most of the perceived edge for worthy comes from memorable moments even though his actual performance isn’t superior to nance.

Throw in, too, that Worthy had the benefit of mostly avoiding the playoffs in his worst years (missed it in '92 and '94 and a single round, proportionately small minutes total in '93) to (artifically) keep his numbers up.

PER skews pro-scorer, and that's the only one giving an edge to Worthy. Win Shares skews pro-good team, and Worthy played with Magic et al, and always in the West when that was very weak for competitive playoff teams (and from the top-seed). Nance never had the same talent around him, and played without in depth, round-by-round digging, against a presumably more typical playoff schedule. And still Nance comes out ahead in WS/48.

I would think the onus would be more on those supporting Worthy to show how his playoff performance is superior to Nance's, never mind makes up the regular season defecit.

On Nance's post D, I don't think strength was generally considered a great issue(nor honestly can I think of many PFs of that time combining physical power and a particularly intricate or efficient post game - Barkley and Malone probably, but they'd have cause problems for everyone, and not just in the post but out on the floor, and Barkley was, I think, playing the 3 for much of Nance's career). Looking at the Barry scouting reports started in the '89 offseason), which fit with the Cleveland span when Nance was more exclusively a 4 (though I don't know notionally or defensively how Hot Rod and Nance split PF-SF duties when both were healthy and on court with a center), in their earliest version give the nearest thing to a shot saying that "He can guard both 3s and 4s and while he gives away something bulkwise to the power forwards, he compensates with his leaping ability and quickness", through the last relevent report in summer '93 noting good and "improved" post-man-to-man D in especially fronting and 3/4ing to deny post entry. In both cases Nance rates as AAA on defense (with blocks as a seperate category, and naturally, also ranking as AAA). That said the improvement led me to check '92 and there is some criticism that powerful forwards like Coleman "can overpower him" (so that's another one - though efficient?) and of a "skinny frame" (though within the context of an otherwise overwhelmingly postive defensive review that again gets him a AAA defensive grade - note also despite a pretty good series versus Cleveland, Coleman had a stinker in one of their two regular season matchups). On the whole I'd say man-to-man post positioning (even ignoring his shot contesting abilities) seems more a relative weakness than an absolute one.

On the general defensive question Nance as "much better", honestly seems accurate (though I'd say a fair chunk of that advantage probably is captured in the boxscore) albeit it sounds harsh in terms of dismissing Worthy. Worthy was a decent defender. He certainly stood out amongst the 80s score-first small forward types (not so much versus more complete forwards like Bird or Johnson). I can't say I've got a great read on where he is defensively, I was thinking somewhere above average, maybe ranging up towards good and looking it up (summer '89, Barry Scouting report) "not a stopper but Worthy is a solid, even underrated defender, [A grade]" I think that sounds fair (though like his game overall, dropping, I think, significantly in his final 2-3 years).
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,015

Post#11 » by Owly » Fri Jan 5, 2018 8:40 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:Vote Hal Greer

Long, 22/5/5 type 2nd all-NBA caliber career. Great speed and shooting. Yes his era was weaker, but his career for his era was better than a Paul Pierce type player who got in ages ago. He's been downgraded enough for falling this far.

2nd: James Worthy

Does this mean you think Pierce generally wasn't top 10% at his position for his prime (obviously positions being somewhat wooly, for Pierce and how you assign West, but then even without West it's hard to argue Greer above Jones)?
penbeast0

Post#12 » by penbeast0 » Fri Jan 5, 2018 8:54 pm

Ok, looked into it more deeply and Nance does look better than Worthy (not as much ability to create offense but slightly more efficient, slightly better playmaker, better rebounder, better defender). Owly convinced me so I changed my alternative vote to reflect it.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,265

Post#13 » by trex_8063 » Fri Jan 5, 2018 9:55 pm

Thru post #12:

Hal Greer - 2 (Clyde Frazier, Dr Positivity)
Larry Nance - 1 (pandrade83)
Dan Issel - 1 (scabbarista)
Mel Daniels - 1 (penbeast0)

~18-19 hours left until this one goes to runoff.

Spoiler:
Ainosterhaspie wrote:.

eminence wrote:.

penbeast0 wrote:.

Owly wrote:.

Clyde Frazier wrote:.

PaulieWal wrote:.

Colbinii wrote:.

Texas Chuck wrote:.

drza wrote:.

Dr Spaceman wrote:.

fpliii wrote:.

euroleague wrote:.

pandrade83 wrote:.

Hornet Mania wrote:.

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:.

SactoKingsFan wrote:.

Blackmill wrote:.

JordansBulls wrote:.

RSCS3_ wrote:.

BasketballFan7 wrote:.

micahclay wrote:.

ardee wrote:.

RCM88x wrote:.

Tesla wrote:.

Joao Saraiva wrote:.

LA Bird wrote:.

MyUniBroDavis wrote:.

kayess wrote:.

2klegend wrote:.

MisterHibachi wrote:.

70sFan wrote:.

mischievous wrote:.

Doctor MJ wrote:.

Dr Positivity wrote:.

Jaivl wrote:.

Bad Gatorade wrote:.

Moonbeam wrote:.

Cyrusman122000 wrote:.

Winsome Gerbil wrote:.

Narigo wrote:.

wojoaderge wrote:.

TrueLAfan wrote:.

90sAllDecade wrote:.

Outside wrote:.

scabbarista wrote:.

janmagn wrote:.

Arman_tanzarian wrote:.

oldschooled wrote:.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#14 » by trex_8063 » Fri Jan 5, 2018 10:16 pm

Relocating this from the #77 thread:
penbeast0 wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:...
EDIT: In regards to his reasonably effective post game, when I watched his highlights for this vote, I immediately thought, "Kevin McHale studied this guy." Issel scored over 27,400 career points. I think you may be underselling him a bit.

He was an outstanding jump shooter and had more moves than he admits but he once said that if he wrote his autobiography, it would be called "A jump shot and a 5th grade head fake."

You've commented a couple times to something of this effect about Issel; I can't tell if the subtext here is that his offensive game is somehow "less" for looking relatively basic. Does how he got it done really matter?

Back when we were debating Wilkins vs English, you'd suggested that going Wilkins > English was maybe valuing style over substance (liking Wilkins' game better simply because it was more visually stunning). Not exactly trying to play the "gotcha!" game----and again, I can't tell for sure----but it almost seems like you've switched gears here and are suggesting Issel's offensive effectiveness is somehow less than the statistical record shows simply because it didn't appear more stunning and/or dynamic (he doesn't "wow" ya).

Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,322

Post#15 » by Clyde Frazier » Fri Jan 5, 2018 10:21 pm

Quick shout out to Detlef Schrempf who i'm hoping makes the cut this time around. Solid longevity, peaked pretty highly and just a smart, versatile player.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/schrede01.html
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,706

Post#16 » by scrabbarista » Fri Jan 5, 2018 10:43 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:

Quick shout out to Detlef Schrempf who i'm hoping makes this cut this time around. Solid longevity, peaked pretty highly and just a smart, versatile player.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/schrede01.html

Huh. I've done career scores for about 250ish players, but I've never done Schrempf. I guess I'll have to go ahead and plug in his numbers. Thanks for the suggestion.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by trex_8063 » Fri Jan 5, 2018 10:45 pm

Short on time presently, so I'll be a bit more brief than usual....

1st vote: Ben Wallace
Pros
*The single-greatest defensive center (defensive player) left on the table. In his prime he could come up with 4-5+ blocks/100 possessions (and not just at the rim, but was willing to come out and contest mid-range shooters) while still often being top 1-2 in the league in rebounds and DREB%. Was also one of the better pnr defenders, solid on post-D (despite being a little undersized for center), and OK on a switch. Just an utter monster on that end.
**Arguably the best player on one ensemble title cast.
***In his large-sample years cumulative RAPM's (as shown in prior thread), he's competitive with other recent inductees, despite his offensive weaknesses.

Cons
*On the short-list for worst offensive players ever.
**Longevity not quite as good as the length of his career indicates. 16 seasons, though <1,100 rs games, and really only a 7-year prime ('01-'07).

Still, at this point on the list, his defensive acumen and proven consistent impact year-over-year, as well as some of his accomplishments and accolades, make him competitive for this spot.

2nd vote: Dan Issel
Basically a 180 from Big Ben. Wallace a giant on defense and an embarrassment on offense. Issel was a near-giant on offense, and at least a slight embarrassment on defense. But piggy-backing on posts by scabbarista in this thread, his production and efficiency over a long career cannot be denied. He scored over 27,400 points in his career, above league average efficiency in 14 of his 15 seasons. Many of those years he did so without the benefit of an elite play-maker.
Nice mid-range shot, simple but effective post moves, and an often under-appreciated tendency which he shared with Larry Bird: quick decisiveness with the ball. From what I've watched, he NEVER held the ball unnecessarily. He either made his move (immediately) or he passed off (immediately); but he always kept the ball moving. He seemed to inherently understand the benefit of not allowing the defense (both the man guarding you, as well as the team defense) a chance to get set.

He was a fair/OK rebounder; somewhat less than you'd like from a center, perhaps, but certainly adequate for a PF (which was really probably more his natural position, he was simply played out of position for majority of his career). Avg 11.6 reb/100 possessions with a 13.2 TREB% over his 15-year career (in which he averaged 34.3 mpg for). Excluding his final two seasons, it was closer to 11.8 reb/100 with a TREB% of 13.8 (in nearly 36 mpg). By way of comparison, Draymond Green in '17-present has a 13.3 TREB% and avg of 11.6 reb/100 possessions while averaging 32.3 mpg.

Was a decent passing big man (though he quite simply liked to shoot it more :)).
Defensively, I won't deny he leaves something to be desired. But we're long past the point of flawless candidates here (see my first vote).

Issel's longevity/durability/consistency is remarkable. Again: 15 seasons, never missed more than 6 games in any single season, and in fact prior to his final two seasons had never missed more than 3 games in a year (missed 8 total in his first TEN seasons combined; just 13 total in his first 13 seasons). And as scabbarista pointed out, you could argue his prime lasted 13 years. He was pretty much an ironman.

With all his virtues and flaws, I ultimately view him very similar to Amar'e Stoudemire: fantastic scorer, weak defender, fair rebounder......except Issel soundly trumps him in longevity.

penbeast0

Post#18 » by penbeast0 » Sat Jan 6, 2018 5:35 am

trex_8063 wrote:
You've commented a couple times to something of this effect about Issel; I can't tell if the subtext here is that his offensive game is somehow "less" for looking relatively basic. Does how he got it done really matter?

Back when we were debating Wilkins vs English, you'd suggested that going Wilkins > English was maybe valuing style over substance (liking Wilkins' game better simply because it was more visually stunning). Not exactly trying to play the "gotcha!" game----and again, I can't tell for sure----but it almost seems like you've switched gears here and are suggesting Issel's offensive effectiveness is somehow less than the statistical record shows simply because it didn't appear more stunning and/or dynamic (he doesn't "wow" ya).

Not in the slightest. In fact, his being a jump shooter primarily rather than a post scorer primarily probably has some positive effect based on the increase in spacing . . . though I do remember people saying DRob's face up offensive game was exposed in the playoffs relative to a post up center. My problems with Issel are all on the defensive end, but he's a top 100 player without a doubt. I just don't see him as that close to the level of a Mel Daniels/Alonzo Mourning type center and I probably value longevity less than you do.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by trex_8063 » Sat Jan 6, 2018 5:25 pm

Thru post #18:

Hal Greer - 2 (Clyde Frazier, Dr Positivity)
Ben Wallace - 1 (trex_8063)
Larry Nance - 1 (pandrade83)
Dan Issel - 1 (scabbarista)
Mel Daniels - 1 (penbeast0)

Well we're hit with a new predicament here: going to the secondary votes we find the Wallace, Nance, and Issel are all even with one each.......giving us a FOUR-player runoff.
With the small voter turnout I could easily see a standard 24-hour runoff only succeeding in narrowing things down to three players (or possibly still leaving us with four). So if there are no strong objections, I'm going to propose something similar to what dhsilv2 has suggested:

In the event of a runoff involving four (or more) players, we do the initial [narrowing the field] runoff as a ballot point system: everyone specify their TOP pick among the four and their SECOND choice among the four (2 pts awarded for first picks, 1 pt for second picks). Hopefully this will yield a better chance of narrowing the four down to two (the two with the most points after 24 hours), wherein we can proceed with a more standard runoff.

If anyone objects to this proposal, please speak up now. Otherwise, if there are no strong objections, please state your top pick AND second pick among Greer, B.Wallace, Nance, and Issel, with some arguments why.

If you've already voted for one of them, I'll assume that's you pick, and you need only specify you second choice (e.g. penbeast0, I'll assume your top pick in the runoff is Larry Nance, as he was your secondary vote). Technically, scabbarista and myself do not need to state anything additional, as we both had Wallace and Issel as our picks in the preliminary voting.

I might leave this one open a little longer than usual in case there is discussion/objections to protocol changes (but please don't wait till the last minute).

Spoiler:
Ainosterhaspie wrote:.

eminence wrote:.

penbeast0 wrote:.

Owly wrote:.

Clyde Frazier wrote:.

PaulieWal wrote:.

Colbinii wrote:.

Texas Chuck wrote:.

drza wrote:.

Dr Spaceman wrote:.

fpliii wrote:.

euroleague wrote:.

pandrade83 wrote:.

Hornet Mania wrote:.

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:.

SactoKingsFan wrote:.

Blackmill wrote:.

JordansBulls wrote:.

RSCS3_ wrote:.

BasketballFan7 wrote:.

micahclay wrote:.

ardee wrote:.

RCM88x wrote:.

Tesla wrote:.

Joao Saraiva wrote:.

LA Bird wrote:.

MyUniBroDavis wrote:.

kayess wrote:.

2klegend wrote:.

MisterHibachi wrote:.

70sFan wrote:.

mischievous wrote:.

Doctor MJ wrote:.

Dr Positivity wrote:.

Jaivl wrote:.

Bad Gatorade wrote:.

Moonbeam wrote:.

Cyrusman122000 wrote:.

Winsome Gerbil wrote:.

Narigo wrote:.

wojoaderge wrote:.

TrueLAfan wrote:.

90sAllDecade wrote:.

Outside wrote:.

scabbarista wrote:.

janmagn wrote:.

Arman_tanzarian wrote:.

oldschooled wrote:.

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,536

Re: RealGM 2017 Top 100 #78: Runoff! Greer/Nance/B.Wallace/Issel 

Post#20 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Jan 6, 2018 5:34 pm

2nd: Larry Nance

20 pt, great defender, versatile and quality longevity as he continued to play well in early 90s

The guy I'm really against getting in here is Wallace. I just think his prime is too short for a player who's already flawed.

Return to Player Comparisons