Rank their peak impact today: Curry vs MJ vs Shaq vs Lebron vs Hakeem?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Best in todays league

peak Curry
17%
peak Lebron
27%
peak MJ
46%
peak Shaq
7%
peak Hakeem
3%

Total votes: 89

Gregoire
Analyst
And1: 554

Rank their peak impact today: Curry vs MJ vs Shaq vs Lebron vs Hakeem? 

Post#1 » by Gregoire » Thu Jan 4, 2018 4:29 pm

In todays league, for winning one playoffs and assuming all are heath 100%: who you got and rank their value today - peak Curry, peak MJ, peak Lebron, peak Shaq, peak Hakeem?
Heej wrote:
These no calls on LeBron are crazy. A lot of stars got foul calls to protect them from the league. That's gonna be the most enduring take from his career. :lol:
falcolombardi wrote:
Come playoffs 18 lebron beats any version of jordan :lol:
mischievous
General Manager
And1: 3,482

Re: Rank their peak impact today: Curry vs MJ vs Shaq vs Lebron vs Hakeem? 

Post#2 » by mischievous » Thu Jan 4, 2018 4:39 pm

How many times must we go through this? Lol.

For one playoffs?

1. Mj
2. Shaq
3. Lebron
4. Hakeem
5. Curry

No idea how Curry isn’t last seeing how mediocre he was in the 2016 playoffs, i know he was hurt but I put more trust in those other guys to not have a performance like that in their peak/prime years. I also expect Lebron to be worshiped in this thread.
Jiminy Glick
Assistant Coach
And1: 726

Post#3 » by Jiminy Glick » Thu Jan 4, 2018 4:46 pm

Curry just isn't in the same league as these guys.
Starboy
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#4 » by Starboy » Thu Jan 4, 2018 4:50 pm

mischievous wrote:How many times must we go through this? Lol.

For one playoffs?

1. Mj
2. Shaq
3. Lebron
4. Hakeem
5. Curry

No idea how Curry isn’t last seeing how mediocre he was in the 2016 playoffs, i know he was hurt but I put more trust in those other guys to not have a performance like that in their peak/prime years. I also expect Lebron to be worshiped in this thread.

2017 playoffs is basically the recap of a healthy 2016 Curry in playoffs with slightly less counting stats.

"I know he was hurt, but I put more trust in other guys" :roll: :roll: :roll: what a silly argument. As far as I know, none of the other 4 guys had a playoff run after suffering two serious injuries in playoffs.
mischievous
General Manager

Post#5 » by mischievous » Thu Jan 4, 2018 5:00 pm

Starboy wrote:

For one playoffs?

1. Mj
2. Shaq
3. Lebron
4. Hakeem
5. Curry

2017 playoffs is basically the recap of a healthy 2016 Curry in playoffs with slightly less counting stats.

"I know he was hurt, but I put more trust in other guys" :roll: :roll: :roll: what a silly argument. As far as I know, none of the other 4 guys had a playoff run after suffering two serious injuries in playoffs.

2017 was basically a slightly better version of his 2015 self with Kevin Durant to help take major pressure off.

As for his 2016 it was what it was, and we can’t undo it. He had those injuries but he was still well enough to play high minutes every game eventually. And he had a lot of poor plays during the finals that were hardly injury related.

And real cute with those eye rolling emojis. Its like you can’t give Curry any criticism or his fans attack you in seconds.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,508

Post#6 » by 70sFan » Thu Jan 4, 2018 5:19 pm

Starboy wrote:

For one playoffs?

1. Mj
2. Shaq
3. Lebron
4. Hakeem
5. Curry

That's why he's below these players. Curry was injured in 2016 playoffs, that's not his fault but it still decreases his overall value. Why take injured player when I can have healthy one (and arguably better one)? Nobody calls 1968 Wilt GOAT peak because he was injured in playoffs (even though he played more than Curry).
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,198

Post#7 » by clyde21 » Thu Jan 4, 2018 5:33 pm

70sFan wrote:
Starboy wrote:

For one playoffs?

1. Mj
2. Shaq
3. Lebron
4. Hakeem
5. Curry

That's why he's below these players. Curry was injured in 2016 playoffs, that's not his fault but it still decreases his overall value. Why take injured player when I can have healthy one (and arguably better one)? Nobody calls 1968 Wilt GOAT peak because he was injured in playoffs (even though he played more than Curry).

What about the 2017 playoffs?

Which of these players had as good of a postseason run as that?

29ppg / 6rpg / 7apg / 2spg on 27 PER, 66 TS%, +20 Net Rating, 11 BPM, +21 On/Off. Oh, and break the all-time plus/minus record previously set by Kobe.

As for the thread, I'll go with:

1. Jordan
2. LeBron
3. Steph
4. Shaq
5. Hakeem
thekdog34
Starter
And1: 782

Post#8 » by thekdog34 » Thu Jan 4, 2018 5:40 pm

Peak Jordan with this much space to operate would be insane.

30 ppg on 70 ts%?
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,508

Post#9 » by 70sFan » Thu Jan 4, 2018 5:44 pm

clyde21 wrote:
70sFan wrote:
Starboy wrote:

Everyone of them? I mean, 2017 Curry is much closer comaprison because he was healthy in playoffs and he played brilliant basketball. Still, he played against fairly weak competition until the finals and he has better supporting cast than anyone in history.

2017 Curry has much better case, but I'd still take:

1989-93 MJ (and arguably 1988 and 1996)
2000 Shaq (and arguably 1995, 2001-02)
2009, 2012-14, 2016 James (and arguably 2010, 2017)
1993-95 Hakeem

over 2017 Curry. Some may disagree with me, but that's how I see it. I'm certain that you have different mind in this aspect but I'll ask you a question - is any of these choices ridiculous? Do you think that any of these individual seasons doesn't have any case over 2017 Curry?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,198

Post#10 » by clyde21 » Thu Jan 4, 2018 5:48 pm

70sFan wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
70sFan wrote:

Everyone of them? I mean, 2017 Curry is much closer comaprison because he was healthy in playoffs and he played brilliant basketball. Still, he played against fairly weak competition until the finals and he has better supporting cast than anyone in history.

1993-95 Hakeem

over 2017 Curry. Some may disagree with me, but that's how I see it. I'm certain that you have different mind in this aspect but I'll ask you a question - is any of these choices ridiculous? Do you think that any of these individual seasons doesn't have any case over 2017 Curry?

I don't think anything is ridiculous. You're more than welcome to rank all of these guys ahead of Curry and I wouldn't have any qualms about it. I'm arguing against the notion that peak Curry "isn't even in the same league" as those guys.

But let's take one of those seasons for now. How is Hakeem 93-93 POs better than Curry's in 16-17? I'd give the clear advantage to Steph on this one.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,691

Post#11 » by WarriorGM » Thu Jan 4, 2018 7:41 pm

clyde21 wrote:
70sFan wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

1993-95 Hakeem

I don't think anything is ridiculous. You're more than welcome to rank all of these guys ahead of Curry and I wouldn't have any qualms about it. I'm arguing against the notion that peak Curry "isn't even in the same league" as those guys.

But let's take one of those seasons for now. How is Hakeem 93-93 POs better than Curry's in 16-17? I'd give the clear advantage to Steph on this one.

2017 PO Curry has higher stats than peak Magic Johnson. I also wonder how one can automatically assume Steph's supporting cast was better than Shaq's Lakers or MJ's Bulls.
Greed
Junior
And1: 372

Post#12 » by Greed » Thu Jan 4, 2018 8:11 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
70sFan wrote:

1993-95 Hakeem

2017 PO Curry has higher stats than peak Magic Johnson. I also wonder how one can automatically assume Steph's supporting cast was better than Shaq's Lakers or MJ's Bulls.

Do you really wonder that?
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,164

Post#13 » by cpower » Thu Jan 4, 2018 8:19 pm

What I learned from realGM:
1. Curry led the warriors to a 73 win season and a ring
2. Curry ranked 2nd in major advance stats in recent years only behind the LeGoat
3. Curry had weaker impact compared to other all time stars
4. conclusion: This era is weak
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#14 » by WarriorGM » Thu Jan 4, 2018 8:20 pm

Greed wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:
70sFan wrote:Everyone of them? I mean, 2017 Curry is much closer comaprison because he was healthy in playoffs and he played brilliant basketball. Still, he played against fairly weak competition until the finals and he has better supporting cast than anyone in history.

1993-95 Hakeem

Shaq's best teammate was Kobe ranked on RealGM's 2017 Top 100 as #11. MJ's best teammate was Pippen ranked #30. Durant is ranked #28.
dreamshake
Starter
And1: 2,462

Post#15 » by dreamshake » Thu Jan 4, 2018 9:20 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
Greed wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

Shaq's best teammate was Kobe ranked on RealGM's 2017 Top 100 as #11. MJ's best teammate was Pippen ranked #30. Durant is ranked #28.

1. Basketball isn't a 2-on-2 game. Beyond Durant, the Warriors also have 2 more All-NBA level players - one is a DPOY who happens to be a really good passer as well, the other is probably the 2nd best 3pt shooter ever who also plays great defense. Then there's Iggy and all the rest of their quality depth to consider as well.

2. Comparing Durant against players with completed careers by their Top100 rankings is silly. Those rankings are by total career value - you can't use them to compare Durant in his 10th season against 17 seasons of Pippen or 20 seasons of Kobe. It's a pretty safe assumption that he'll end up at least in the top 20 by time his career is over.
mischievous
General Manager

Post#16 » by mischievous » Thu Jan 4, 2018 9:33 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
Greed wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

You're using all time rank of teammates when talking about a single season? What is wrong with you?

2017 Kd was no worse than 01 Kobe and significantly better than 2000 Kobe when Shaq actually peaked. Then we can get into Draymond and Klay who are easily better than the 3rd option from any of those Bulls or Lakers teams.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#17 » by WarriorGM » Fri Jan 5, 2018 3:47 am

dreamshake wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:
Greed wrote:

1. Basketball isn't a 2-on-2 game. Beyond Durant, the Warriors also have 2 more All-NBA level players - one is a DPOY who happens to be a really good passer as well, the other is probably the 2nd best 3pt shooter ever who also plays great defense. Then there's Iggy and all the rest of their quality depth to consider as well.

2. Comparing Durant against players with completed careers by their Top100 rankings is silly. Those rankings are by total career value - you can't use them to compare Durant in his 10th season against 17 seasons of Pippen or 20 seasons of Kobe. It's a pretty safe assumption that he'll end up at least in the top 20 by time his career is over.

1. As good as people believe Klay and Draymond to be we don't know how they would fare on other teams. The role-players on the Lakers and Bulls showed they could win rings on multiple teams.

2. Compiling top 100 rankings by career is silly? You know what? I think you're right because it distorts and misses the mark on what people are really after when they ask who is the best/better player. But that's how people are doing it. I'm not going to apologize for it in this case though because Curry is being grossly underrated with the approach. In any event the one being compared is Durant and I'm sure there are many who will say Kobe is better and Pippen would be comparable. Furthermore we have years where Curry was at MVP and championship level without KD so it's largely a moot point in regards to Curry's skill and impact except to show he can incorporate and play with all-time great talent with negligible negative effects which is something that has not been shown and something we cannot assume with the others.
Gregoire
Analyst
And1: 554

Post#18 » by Gregoire » Fri Jan 5, 2018 3:58 am

My opinion:
Curry (best offense for today's league by far)
MJ/Lebron
Hakeem
Shaq (liability on D)
Heej wrote:
These no calls on LeBron are crazy. A lot of stars got foul calls to protect them from the league. That's gonna be the most enduring take from his career. :lol:
falcolombardi wrote:
Come playoffs 18 lebron beats any version of jordan :lol:
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,695

Post#19 » by Peregrine01 » Fri Jan 5, 2018 4:46 am

In today's game, the player with the most impact would be the player with the most offensive impact. I have a hard time going against Steph here, given both his absolute level of impact and the scalability of that impact to lead historically great seasons and playoff runs. It's highly possible that Steph will go down as the offensive GOAT when all is said and done.

In that same vein, I think Hakeem would be the player on this list that would have the least impact on the floor in today's game. Shaq would struggle on D today but at least he would still score the hell out of the ball.

So IMO,

Steph
LeBron
Jordan
Shaq
Hakeem
Red Skies
Junior
And1: 267

Post#20 » by Red Skies » Fri Jan 5, 2018 5:06 am

Give me Curry or Jordan here.

Return to Player Comparisons