'17-'18 POY discussion

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Re: '17-'18 POY discussion 

Post#201 » by Dr Spaceman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:56 pm

bondom34 wrote:Good read, and I agree with the thoughts behind it (I don't think anyone touches GSW in general though). Interesting thoughts on the roboticness (is that a word?) of the offense and how it may sort of backfire come postseason, along w/ making mistakes helping to learn.

Thanks!

bondom34 wrote:I think OKC's shot went out the window w/ Roberson so they're a shoe in to the WCF barring injury, but if Kawhi were around I'd still lean Spurs myself.

You don’t see Minnesota on that level? Their defense is trending in the wrong direction but they’ve still been very, very good.

Injuries suck in general. I’d have to dig in more to see how bad the Roberson injury is, they don’t have many rotation guys to fill in but maybe some trades could be made.

bondom34 wrote:2 notes, first they do have a loss (NOLA a few games ago) with CP3, Harden, and Capela, and second and my apologies but every time I see your name I think of Boy Meets World :D.

1. Thank you!
2. My chem professors in colleg used to fight over who graded my exams for this exact reason
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,211

Post#202 » by bondom34 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:55 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Good read, and I agree with the thoughts behind it (I don't think anyone touches GSW in general though). Interesting thoughts on the roboticness (is that a word?) of the offense and how it may sort of backfire come postseason, along w/ making mistakes helping to learn.

Thanks!

bondom34 wrote:I think OKC's shot went out the window w/ Roberson so they're a shoe in to the WCF barring injury, but if Kawhi were around I'd still lean Spurs myself.

You don’t see Minnesota on that level? Their defense is trending in the wrong direction but they’ve still been very, very good.

Injuries suck in general. I’d have to dig in more to see how bad the Roberson injury is, they don’t have many rotation guys to fill in but maybe some trades could be made.

bondom34 wrote:2 notes, first they do have a loss (NOLA a few games ago) with CP3, Harden, and Capela, and second and my apologies but every time I see your name I think of Boy Meets World :D.

1. Thank you!
2. My chem professors in colleg used to fight over who graded my exams for this exact reason

I'm torn on Minnesota. I think numbers wise they make sense and could push anyone, but I also think their youth means when they see the playoffs there's going to be some adjustment for KAT/Wiggins and it might cost them, especially against the top tier in the west. For OKC, their only minor hope for now is to patch the starters with a solid 2 guard and get a bench big, their starters won't have the same dominance but maybe the bench won't fall off such a cliff. My dream is to sell some guys off for Courtney Lee and O'Quinn from the Knicks, but I have no clue if its out there. Roberson is done for the year and through some channels I've heard may never be the same unfortunately.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#203 » by E-Balla » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:08 pm

bondom34 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Thanks!

1. Thank you!

I'm torn on Minnesota. I think numbers wise they make sense and could push anyone, but I also think their youth means when they see the playoffs there's going to be some adjustment for KAT/Wiggins and it might cost them, especially against the top tier in the west. For OKC, their only minor hope for now is to patch the starters with a solid 2 guard and get a bench big, their starters won't have the same dominance but maybe the bench won't fall off such a cliff. My dream is to sell some guys off for Courtney Lee and O'Quinn from the Knicks, but I have no clue if its out there. Roberson is done for the year and through some channels I've heard may never be the same unfortunately.

FOH bro you already offloaded Kanter on us and you want to screw us again? Let NY live.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#204 » by bondom34 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:09 pm

E-Balla wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Thanks!

1. Thank you!

FOH bro you already offloaded Kanter on us and you want to screw us again? Let NY live.

TBH I miss him lol. Well at least off court.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#205 » by E-Balla » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:14 pm

bondom34 wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
bondom34 wrote:I'm torn on Minnesota. I think numbers wise they make sense and could push anyone, but I also think their youth means when they see the playoffs there's going to be some adjustment for KAT/Wiggins and it might cost them, especially against the top tier in the west. For OKC, their only minor hope for now is to patch the starters with a solid 2 guard and get a bench big, their starters won't have the same dominance but maybe the bench won't fall off such a cliff. My dream is to sell some guys off for Courtney Lee and O'Quinn from the Knicks, but I have no clue if its out there. Roberson is done for the year and through some channels I've heard may never be the same unfortunately.

Oh yeah he's great until he touches the floor. Then I hate him.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#206 » by bondom34 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:22 pm

E-Balla wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
E-Balla wrote:FOH bro you already offloaded Kanter on us and you want to screw us again? Let NY live.

The monthly 20/20 game always inspires hope. :lol:

Part of me still would undo that trade, but hes just useless in the playoffs.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,322

Post#207 » by Clyde Frazier » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:30 pm

bondom34 wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
bondom34 wrote:TBH I miss him lol. Well at least off court.

As a teammate / locker room guy, I love him. Even if he acts corny, it's not fake. However, that's too bad because from a basketball standpoint i hope he's moved at the deadline. Check out these numbers...

Kanter with Porzingis: 912 min, +0.9 net rating

Kanter without Porzingis: 290 min, -18 net rating

That's just mind blowing. Not worth $20 mil per year :-?
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#208 » by bondom34 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:33 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Oh yeah he's great until he touches the floor. Then I hate him.

As a teammate / locker room guy, I love him. Even if he acts corny, it's not fake. However, that's too bad because from a basketball standpoint i hope he's moved at the deadline. Check out these numbers...

Oh believe me I know :lol:. OKC managed a top 5ish defense with him off the bench somehow, it baffled me how he totally demolished every lineup he was in defensively. Even by eye test no human being should be that bad defensively.

That said, his bromance with Adams was (and still is kinda) legendary. He made a ton of friends on that team.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,532

Post#209 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Feb 1, 2018 12:50 am

bondom34 wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:
bondom34 wrote:The monthly 20/20 game always inspires hope. :lol:

Oh believe me I know :lol:. OKC managed a top 5ish defense with him off the bench somehow, it baffled me how he totally demolished every lineup he was in defensively. Even by eye test no human being should be that bad defensively.

That said, his bromance with Adams was (and still is kinda) legendary. He made a ton of friends on that team.

As a UK fan it is still mind blowing how many people still get blood boiling mad about Kanter not getting to play. I still see posts on facebook, like I saw 1 this week even.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#210 » by bondom34 » Thu Feb 1, 2018 12:59 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:

As a UK fan it is still mind blowing how many people still get blood boiling mad about Kanter not getting to play. I still see posts on facebook, like I saw 1 this week even.

As a rabid college football fan, I can say with certainty one thing. College sports are weird.

Also, OKC fans are still attached to him too, but college is just a different animal lol.
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,251

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: '17-'18 POY discussion 

Post#211 » by Outside » Thu Feb 1, 2018 7:45 pm

Jaivl wrote:
Outside wrote:.

Most of the things you said are referring to RPM, but not RAPM. If you have the time, this video is a quite decent cursory explanation from the man himself. The main presentation it not really about RAPM, but close enough, and mentions RAPM.

Still percolating on things, but wanted to respond with thanks for posting this video. Some of it assumes a level of data analytics knowledge that is beyond me, but I did find it very helpful.

As for RPM vs RAPM, I confused. Are we talking about the same thing? Here's what I see regarding those terms:

RAPM - regularized adjusted plus-minus

RPM - Real Plus-Minus, ESPN's version of RAPM

Unless I'm missing something about RPM, I don't see why most things I mentioned apply to RPM but don't to RAPM.

Also, the video is about using four-factor RAPM to identify a player's impact on teammates, so I'd say the main presentation is absolutely about RAPM.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,491

Post#212 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Feb 1, 2018 8:45 pm

Outside wrote:-- Jeremias Engelmann seems to be the godfather of RAPM and is the expert behind ESPN's RPM.

For those interested, here's the original Sloan paper on the topic by Joe Sill from 2010.

http://www.sloansportsconference.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/joeSillSloanSportsPaperWithLogo.pdf

Joe quickly got hired by an NBA team after that, though not before leaving some instructions for others on his blog at the time.

Engelmann was the one after that took those instructions and made a site totally devoted to RAPM for various years which allowed us analysts to use it more with more context.

And then he was the one who made up xRAPM using a box score-prior and an equation to guess what '90s RAPM would have been, and then replaced all the old data with the new stuff while calling it all "RAPM".

So Englemann deserves credit for his role in popularizing RAPM's use, and then for the break into the mainstream with "Real Plus Minus" that was based off of xRAPM.

He also deserves blame for literally confusing together the data he gave us to the point where we couldn't rely upon his site any more, and for not understanding the reason why some of didn't want a box score-prior
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#213 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Feb 1, 2018 8:51 pm

Outside wrote:Still percolating on things, but wanted to respond with thanks for posting this video. Some of it assumes a level of data analytics knowledge that is beyond me, but I did find it very helpful.

As for RPM vs RAPM, I confused. Are we talking about the same thing? Here's what I see regarding those terms:

RAPM - regularized adjusted plus-minus

RPM - Real Plus-Minus, ESPN's version of RAPM

Unless I'm missing something about RPM, I don't see why most things I mentioned apply to RPM but don't to RAPM.

Also, the video is about using four-factor RAPM to identify a player's impact on teammates, so I'd say the main presentation is absolutely about RAPM.

RPM is a brand name version of xRAPM, which was a version of RAPM that basically said "let's just use any data that could correlate well in our prior". The result was a stat that was less noisy when used without the help of any outside aide, which is what Englemann's goal was. He was after "the holy grail" of stats...and I was grumpily complaining on here and on APBRmetrics that such a thing was not actually meaningful or useful when compared with using RAPM with box score stats, observation, etc to come to a more nuanced conclusion.

And then ESPN jumped all in on his work, and made his stat the thing ESPN analysts were supposed to be using...and now I use it too, because it's what's regularly available. Sigh.

eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,752

Post#214 » by eminence » Thu Feb 1, 2018 9:46 pm

For a bit more on the history, I think this is the first major mention of plus-minus type stuff being used in basketball

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2004/apr/13/20040413-121657-1462r/

In hockey they'd been tracking the raw +/- for long before that, and Pollack had done it for the 76ers as well.
I bought a boat.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#215 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Feb 1, 2018 10:02 pm

eminence wrote:For a bit more on the history, I think this is the first major mention of plus-minus type stuff being used in basketball

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2004/apr/13/20040413-121657-1462r/

In hockey they'd been tracking the raw +/- for long before that, and Pollack had done it for the 76ers as well.

Yup, the trend began with Wayne Winston and the Dallas Mavericks, then came to the internet through 82games.

Edit: As we can see on that article though, Winston always had "Dave Berri Disease" wherein he loved to talk in absolutes based on his state. Winston is influential, and a legit academic, but he whatever criticisms I may have for Englemann go further with guys like Winston and Berri. (Berri goes further still because his stat was nonsense and he refused to have any legit debate, always insisting that he was a legit scientist and the people criticizing him were a bunch of jocks. It's a wonder anyone took him seriously, and for that blame Malcolm Freaking Gladwell who really demonstrated how poorly he understood the topics he discusses in his pop culture pseudo-intellectual books when he championed Berri...but I digress).

Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#216 » by Outside » Fri Feb 2, 2018 9:13 am

It's not my intent to derail the thread by going down the rabbit hole of a detailed RAPM discussion. There's a Statistical Analysis forum for that, and apparently just mentioning Engelmann sparked some strong feelings (btw, I didn't intend to imply that he invented RAPM or concepts behind it, just that his name was included on sites I visited as the guy currently most associated with it).

My intent is to figure out RAPM's value for the POY discussion, particularly for a non-data analyst, and respond from that viewpoint to how it's being used in the discussion.

I'm a long way from understanding RAPM completely, but I feel more comfortable with what it's attempting to do in a general way and how to incorporate it into the discussion.

My usual caveat: I don't know advanced metrics well, I'm just doing the best I can, so I may be wrong about certain things.

After using links provided by others (thank you) and looking around on my own, I've come to a few conclusions regarding RAPM as it pertains to the recent POY discussion.

1. RAPM attempts to identify a player's impact on a per-possession basis independent of box score and basic plus-minus stats. It provides separate RAPM "scores" for offense and defense, plus a total RPM score that combines the RPM scores for offense and defense. This points out limitations of RAPM for POY assessment:

-- Since it is a per-possession metric, the total impact of the player requires taking playing time into account. Some RAPM systems calculate this as "wins" or something similar, but other systems don't calculate this and only provide the per-possession RAPM.

-- Quantifying a player's impact is valuable information, but since it is independent of box score and plus-minus data, it only paints a partial picture. Rather than use RAPM instead of box score and plus-minus data, they should be used together.

2. RAPM requires a lot of data to be usable, so one variation is multi-year RAPM, which uses data from multiple seasons to determine a player's RAPM. This points out additional limitations of RAPM for POY assessment:

-- By definition, multi-year RAPM uses data from multiple seasons and wouldn't be useful for POY assessment, which is about performance for the current season only.

-- RAPM for the current season only is not statistically useful until the end of the season or close to it, so it is of limited value or at least should be considered preliminary until then. Some people consider one season of data inadequate; I've seen mentioned multiple times that three years of data should be the baseline, particularly for elite players. If that's true, then RAPM should be used with caution for POY assessment.

3. Another variation is xRAPM, which combines RAPM with box score and plus-minus data. ESPN's RPM is apparently an xRAPM system. This is an attempt to be an all-in-one stat, but some people prefer to keep RAPM, box score, and plus-minus separate.

RAPM can certainly be part of the data used to assess players, but it should be used in conjunction with other data, not as the sole or even primary means of assessing the performance of POY candidates in the current season. If someone is going to use RAPM to support an argument, it would be extremely helpful to know what type it is (RAPM vs xRAPM, single season vs multi-season).

For POY purposes, it seems like the only useful type is single season, and single season RAPM apparently should have an asterisk by it since it requires multiple seasons of data to properly assess the RAPM for a player.

To illustrate that point, I noticed these oddities on the single-season RAPM that E-Balla provided a link to (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vSzp3G5rwP9xgCgluVGmR3Qj4-BMoGSYiuTKM6o_pzES6s95oQE1nQvB2CXed-4fRc_MMGgpULtDaJ_/pubhtml?gid=1825430955&single=true):

-- OG Anunoby, a rookie who plays 21 MPG, scores 6 PPG, and has a 12.0 USG% is 9th in ORAPM, 25th in DRAPM, and 4th in overall RAPM. He must set a heck of a screen. Similarly, others in the top 10 are Yogi Farrell (5th), Robert Covington (8th), and Tyus Jones (9th).

-- RAPM is supposed to be better are assessing defensive impact than box score and plus-minus stats, but Trevor Ariza is ranked 357th in DRAPM, Clint Capela is 153rd, Patrick Beverly is 217th, Paul George is 277th, Andre Drummond is 376th, and Kevin Durant is 457th. I know Durant is overhyped defensively, but I'd say he's better than Isaiah Thomas (427th).

-- POY candidates are scattered throughout the list -- Curry (1st), Butler (7th), Giannis (11th), Westbrook (20th), Chris Paul (32nd), Durant (38th), Anthony Davis (47th), Harden (48th), Kyrie (58th), DeRozan (65th), and LeBron (124th).

Some of this could be corrected by adjusting for minutes or number of possessions played, but that won't suddenly change the list so that the POY candidates all move to the top.
Bad Gatorade
Senior
And1: 1,815

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: '17-'18 POY discussion 

Post#217 » by Bad Gatorade » Fri Feb 2, 2018 2:58 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Bad Gatorade wrote:.

Great to see you back man, and great to see you haven’t lost a step :wink:

Thanks! I always endeavour to post on here more frequently, but never get around to it. Due to the time constraints of life, most of my forum time is spent lurking on my phone, where I'm generally not too keen on contributing (phones aren't generally conducive to extensive responses, and the furious opening of spreadsheet after spreadsheet, which is where many of my posts draw inspiration).

I read your work on the Rockets, and the grandiose proclivity of the Rockets shooting 3s (and Chris Paul) does worry me somewhat. Even though a 3 pointer is worth more than a 2 pointer, the 2 pointer has lesser variance, and a player/team whose scoring is more reliant on the 3 is likely to experience higher highs, but lower lows. And honestly, the Rockets are stacked enough offensively that I do wish CP3 would defer to his mid range a bit more frequently, because it gives me a bit more playoff confidence. After all, in a best of 7 series, two games with ORTGs of 110 and 125 might average out to a lower result than 100 and 140, but probably results in a higher chance of winning a series.

That being said, I think the Rockets do have a great team this year. Hopefully, the variable tendency of the 3 point shot works in our favour in the postseason (i.e. it peaks against the Warriors and in the finals).

Outside wrote:It's not my intent to derail the thread by going down the rabbit hole of a detailed RAPM discussion. There's a Statistical Analysis forum for that, and apparently just mentioning Engelmann sparked some strong feelings (btw, I didn't intend to imply that he invented RAPM or concepts behind it, just that his name was included on sites I visited as the guy currently most associated with it).

My intent is to figure out RAPM's value for the POY discussion, particularly for a non-data analyst, and respond from that viewpoint to how it's being used in the discussion.

I'm a long way from understanding RAPM completely, but I feel more comfortable with what it's attempting to do in a general way and how to incorporate it into the discussion.

My usual caveat: I don't know advanced metrics well, I'm just doing the best I can, so I may be wrong about certain things.

After using links provided by others (thank you) and looking around on my own, I've come to a few conclusions regarding RAPM as it pertains to the recent POY discussion.

1. RAPM attempts to identify a player's impact on a per-possession basis independent of box score and basic plus-minus stats. It provides separate RAPM "scores" for offense and defense, plus a total RPM score that combines the RPM scores for offense and defense. This points out limitations of RAPM for POY assessment:

-- Since it is a per-possession metric, the total impact of the player requires taking playing time into account. Some RAPM systems calculate this as "wins" or something similar, but other systems don't calculate this and only provide the per-possession RAPM.

-- Quantifying a player's impact is valuable information, but since it is independent of box score and plus-minus data, it only paints a partial picture. Rather than use RAPM instead of box score and plus-minus data, they should be used together.

2. RAPM requires a lot of data to be usable, so one variation is multi-year RAPM, which uses data from multiple seasons to determine a player's RAPM. This points out additional limitations of RAPM for POY assessment:

-- By definition, multi-year RAPM uses data from multiple seasons and wouldn't be useful for POY assessment, which is about performance for the current season only.

-- RAPM for the current season only is not statistically useful until the end of the season or close to it, so it is of limited value or at least should be considered preliminary until then. Some people consider one season of data inadequate; I've seen mentioned multiple times that three years of data should be the baseline, particularly for elite players. If that's true, then RAPM should be used with caution for POY assessment.

3. Another variation is xRAPM, which combines RAPM with box score and plus-minus data. ESPN's RPM is apparently an xRAPM system. This is an attempt to be an all-in-one stat, but some people prefer to keep RAPM, box score, and plus-minus separate.

RAPM can certainly be part of the data used to assess players, but it should be used in conjunction with other data, not as the sole or even primary means of assessing the performance of POY candidates in the current season. If someone is going to use RAPM to support an argument, it would be extremely helpful to know what type it is (RAPM vs xRAPM, single season vs multi-season).

For POY purposes, it seems like the only useful type is single season, and single season RAPM apparently should have an asterisk by it since it requires multiple seasons of data to properly assess the RAPM for a player.

To illustrate that point, I noticed these oddities on the single-season RAPM that E-Balla provided a link to (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vSzp3G5rwP9xgCgluVGmR3Qj4-BMoGSYiuTKM6o_pzES6s95oQE1nQvB2CXed-4fRc_MMGgpULtDaJ_/pubhtml?gid=1825430955&single=true):

-- OG Anunoby, a rookie who plays 21 MPG, scores 6 PPG, and has a 12.0 USG% is 9th in ORAPM, 25th in DRAPM, and 4th in overall RAPM. He must set a heck of a screen. Similarly, others in the top 10 are Yogi Farrell (5th), Robert Covington (8th), and Tyus Jones (9th).

-- RAPM is supposed to be better are assessing defensive impact than box score and plus-minus stats, but Trevor Ariza is ranked 357th in DRAPM, Clint Capela is 153rd, Patrick Beverly is 217th, Paul George is 277th, Andre Drummond is 376th, and Kevin Durant is 457th. I know Durant is overhyped defensively, but I'd say he's better than Isaiah Thomas (427th).

-- POY candidates are scattered throughout the list -- Curry (1st), Butler (7th), Giannis (11th), Westbrook (20th), Chris Paul (32nd), Durant (38th), Anthony Davis (47th), Harden (48th), Kyrie (58th), DeRozan (65th), and LeBron (124th).

Some of this could be corrected by adjusting for minutes or number of possessions played, but that won't suddenly change the list so that the POY candidates all move to the top.

Honestly, derail away. Understanding RAPM isn't entirely orthogonal to the POY discussion. Everybody has different perspectives, and helping enhance these perspectives amongst the POY enthusiasts here may just lead to a stronger understanding of the POY race, what is making each of these players tick, and just how far they're moving the needle.

Firstly, I think your understanding of RAPM and its strengths/weaknesses is pretty good. Based on this post, and your previous one, you've done your research and your knowledge seems greatly enhanced.

Just wanted to point out a couple of things here -

The offensive/defensive split - it's highly important to note that although RAPM is divided between offence and defence, the actual nature of basketball isn't as segregated. To an extent, offence fuels defence, and defence fuels offence. When observing offensive and defensive splits, we tend to make assessments based on offence and defence separately, and this can lead to a hasty discounting of one (or both) of these values, or result in us, say, valuing player A over player B because of a higher offensive RAPM, without necessarily analysing the cause.

I'll use my favourite player (Chris Paul) as an example. Over the years, Chris Paul has conjured up some incredibly high DRAPM scores - in 2016, he ranked 13th in the entire league in DRAPM, and last year, 4th in single year RAPM. It's quite easy to discount this as inflation/random variation, since a 6' point guard shouldn't have this impact on defence, right? These values COULD very well be inflated (after all, he's not the 4th best defensive player in the league - even I can admit this). BUT, it's worth considering that CP3's style of offence is highly calculated. He detests turnovers, and would prefer to not make the "risky" pass, but rather, the "mathematically safe" pass.

Where this ties into defence, is that I fully believe that some of his defensive impact scores are tied to how he plays offence. His incredible, GOAT like ability to avoid turnovers gives his opponents fewer fast break opportunities, and with the sheer PPP value of fast break opportunities, his offence is literally a form of defence. Furthermore, a jump shot heavy offence might not create equally proficient scoring opportunities, but arguably places players in a better position to start defending if the opponent gets the rebound.

Dirk is another example of this - his defensive RAPM scores exceed that of his defensive reputation, and it's a combination of his ability to avoid turnovers + his proclivity to take jump shots that help aid his scores beyond our general perception.

I'm not at all saying that a certain style of offence is better than another, but rather, a certain style of offence may distort the ORAPM and DRAPM split, and it's worth considering whether or not these factors are at play when choosing to scrutinise the RAPM results that are churned out.

Using multi-year data - I noticed that you have said that for POY purposes, your perception is that single year RAPM is the only useful RAPM. And what you've said is partially true - multi-year data contains data from other years, which is directly counter-intuitive to assessing a single year, right?

Multiple years of RAPM data (whether it's multi-year, or lots of single year data), in my opinion, actually has a place in single year evaluation, as odd as it may sound. And I link this to the notion that single year RAPM does not have a large enough sample size to effectively parse out the random variation that underlies the results, and can provide additional information on whether or not the results effectively represent player quality.

For example, consider the 2014-15 Houston Rockets. On defence, they were ranked 8th with a -2.2 relative DRTG score. However, it's a stark departure from both 2013-14 (-0.4, with a healthy Howard) and our very shameful 2015-16 (+1.7). Even with an entire year's worth of data, the DRTG score wasn't effectively able to parse out the fact that Houston were insanely lucky in 3 point defence that year. They were over 1% better than any other team in terms of defensive FG%, even though they didn't actually DEFEND the 3 that well. In terms of proportions, they were below average in both Wide Open and Open 3s, and ranked 26th here (aka 5th worse in the league). However, they were 1st in the league by a full percentage point (33.3%, with the Bulls second with 34.3%, league average 36.3%) in the percentage that their opponents shot on open 3s. Of their -2.2 DRTG, around -1.75 of this is literally due to how poorly their opponents happened to shoot from OPEN 3s (so we can't even pin this on length).

Now, what I'm getting at here, is if an entire TEAM sample is still capable of such variation, imagine just how much variation can occur with lineups, where even the most highly played players are often playing only 70-75% of a season? Imagine how much variation when collinearity is present? This is one area where multi-year data can help - it helps reduce this sort of random variation. Or heck, even look at the variation in defensive free throw percentages!

Now, I firmly believe that RAPM is best used alongside tracking data. If a player is a +1 on defence in a "fluky" year, and a -1 on defence in a "bad luck" year, the tracking data can help actually showcase whether or not a player is still doing the right things on defence. If a player literally has the SAME rate of deflections, contested shots etc but their RAPM plummets, I don't think it's right to impugn them on a single year basis. However, tracking alone can't really make the assessments that RAPM can, because, well, tracking is still in its infancy, and can't capture everything we want. So, tracking can miss things that RAPM can capture, but RAPM can also capture some incorrect things that tracking can help weed out.

Furthermore, I'd consider multiple years of RAPM data are useful when parsing out coaching effects - a player is going to look a lot worse defensively if he's being coached by Jason Kidd rather than by Gregg Popovich, right? A player switching teams might be playing the same level of defence, but without the proper coaching, he'll look a lot worse than he should, even if it's not his fault.

Or heck, multiple years of data can help shed light on collinearity issues. I touched on these in my other post, but basically, a single year's worth of RAPM might come up with some bizarre results. After all, in single-year RAPM, Draymond Green was essentially equal 1st in ORAPM with LeBron back in 2015-16 (and ahead of Curry). I think Green has a lot of offensive worth, but these results are a clear departure from what he normally produces, and what one would anticipate from his skillset. And no matter how highly one thinks of Green, they'd most certainly struggle to rank him above Curry that season offensively, given how awe inspiring Curry was that year. The impact data from other seasons helps us comprehend what Green was doing in 2015-16, because it teaches us about what his skillset is typically producing, and helps us assess whether or not it can rationally produce the impact that single-year RAPM is showcasing.

Or heck, even Harden this past year - Harden is 5th in single year ORAPM, but Eric Gordon is 4th, and Ariza ranks rather higher than one would expect too. I don't think it's unreasonable that Harden (who has, on multiple occasions, led the league in single year RAPM) might have some of him ORAPM results usurped by Gordon/Ariza (who aren't bad offensive players), especially when Gordon/Ariza had noticeably lower ORAPM results last year (and in general, don't really jibe with the 4th best/21st best offensive players in the league status).

I'm blabbering yet again, but I hope that some of my thoughts, even if you don't agree with them, help you form your own understanding of RAPM and its worth, and how it can be used in assessments.
I use a lot of parentheses when I post (it's a bad habit)
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,752

Post#218 » by eminence » Fri Feb 2, 2018 3:48 pm

Bad Gatorade wrote:.

Lot of post for so late at night, lol. Good stuff though - the offensive style changing defensive values is important stuff that gets glossed over a lot (I wonder if the reverse is true to any extent?).
I bought a boat.
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#219 » by Outside » Fri Feb 2, 2018 8:37 pm

Bad Gatorade wrote:Honestly, derail away. Understanding RAPM isn't entirely orthogonal to the POY discussion. Everybody has different perspectives, and helping enhance these perspectives amongst the POY enthusiasts here may just lead to a stronger understanding of the POY race, what is making each of these players tick, and just how far they're moving the needle.

While I think the discussion has value regarding the POY topic, my concern is that my own steps toward understanding RAPM better should stay connected in this thread with how it applies to POY assessment and not stray too much into the weeds so that it loses that connection. It helps me to be mindful of that. The discussion, after all, should be primarily about the players, and I don't want to get so involved in this that a Mod taps me on the shoulder and says, "Okay, that's enough of that."

I don't know how many others find the discussion useful and/or enjoyable. If a significant number do, great. If not, then an option could be to move the discussion to its own thread.

The offensive/defensive split - it's highly important to note that although RAPM is divided between offence and defence, the actual nature of basketball isn't as segregated. To an extent, offence fuels defence, and defence fuels offence. When observing offensive and defensive splits, we tend to make assessments based on offence and defence separately, and this can lead to a hasty discounting of one (or both) of these values, or result in us, say, valuing player A over player B because of a higher offensive RAPM, without necessarily analysing the cause.

I'll use my favourite player (Chris Paul) as an example. Over the years, Chris Paul has conjured up some incredibly high DRAPM scores - in 2016, he ranked 13th in the entire league in DRAPM, and last year, 4th in single year RAPM. It's quite easy to discount this as inflation/random variation, since a 6' point guard shouldn't have this impact on defence, right? These values COULD very well be inflated (after all, he's not the 4th best defensive player in the league - even I can admit this). BUT, it's worth considering that CP3's style of offence is highly calculated. He detests turnovers, and would prefer to not make the "risky" pass, but rather, the "mathematically safe" pass.

Where this ties into defence, is that I fully believe that some of his defensive impact scores are tied to how he plays offence. His incredible, GOAT like ability to avoid turnovers gives his opponents fewer fast break opportunities, and with the sheer PPP value of fast break opportunities, his offence is literally a form of defence. Furthermore, a jump shot heavy offence might not create equally proficient scoring opportunities, but arguably places players in a better position to start defending if the opponent gets the rebound.

Dirk is another example of this - his defensive RAPM scores exceed that of his defensive reputation, and it's a combination of his ability to avoid turnovers + his proclivity to take jump shots that help aid his scores beyond our general perception.

I'm not at all saying that a certain style of offence is better than another, but rather, a certain style of offence may distort the ORAPM and DRAPM split, and it's worth considering whether or not these factors are at play when choosing to scrutinise the RAPM results that are churned out.

This is an incredibly helpful perspective. To me, this illustrates why RAPM is doubly difficult to use -- besides being complex regarding what it is and what it tells you, the context around the numbers can be almost as important as the numbers themselves.

I have struggled to figure out why Dirk rates highly defensively when he has mobility more like an Olympic weightlifter holding 500 pounds overhead than a basketball player, but this helps explain it. I had chalked it up to him playing really smart on the defensive end, and he obviously has the physical advantage of great length, but that only explains so much when he's such a liability in space and can get PnRed at will. I've always thought of turnovers, especially live ball ones, as hurting team defense, but I hadn't considered the direct effect that could have on an individual player's defensive rating when that player's ability to avoid turnovers is extremely low. I think that applies even more to a player like Dirk who plays fewer minutes, which means that the defensive impact of his low turnovers can be more easily isolated to him individually than it could for a guy who plays significantly more minutes.

Regarding Chris Paul, I've long known about his pathological aversion to turnovers and his corresponding preference for safe passes. (Not that he doesn't make difficult passes; it's just that he's so skilled that he likely considers them safe passes for him.) One theory is that his aversion to risky passes raises his floor because he's so consistently low in turnovers, but it also limits his ceiling, particularly in the PS, that achieving the highest level of performance requires more risk. I'm skeptical that this is a major reason why he hasn't made it past the second round, but it does make sense to me.

An advantage of being on the Rockets is that he's no longer in the full-time floor general role. He and Harden provide a nice balance of differing styles, and maybe they'll have a beneficial effect on each other, leading to Paul playing somewhat less constrained and Harden with a bit more discipline. Paul's TOs are about the same, Harden's are significant lower, but with the difference that joining together means to their roles, it's hard to say with certainty if there's been a significant change. The team's TO per game average and TOV% have dropped slightly, but that's been enough to move them up from 25th to 11th in TO per game and from 24th to 14th in TOV%. Little improvements can mean a lot.

Using multi-year data - I noticed that you have said that for POY purposes, your perception is that single year RAPM is the only useful RAPM. And what you've said is partially true - multi-year data contains data from other years, which is directly counter-intuitive to assessing a single year, right?

Multiple years of RAPM data (whether it's multi-year, or lots of single year data), in my opinion, actually has a place in single year evaluation, as odd as it may sound. And I link this to the notion that single year RAPM does not have a large enough sample size to effectively parse out the random variation that underlies the results, and can provide additional information on whether or not the results effectively represent player quality.

For example, consider the 2014-15 Houston Rockets. On defence, they were ranked 8th with a -2.2 relative DRTG score. However, it's a stark departure from both 2013-14 (-0.4, with a healthy Howard) and our very shameful 2015-16 (+1.7). Even with an entire year's worth of data, the DRTG score wasn't effectively able to parse out the fact that Houston were insanely lucky in 3 point defence that year. They were over 1% better than any other team in terms of defensive FG%, even though they didn't actually DEFEND the 3 that well. In terms of proportions, they were below average in both Wide Open and Open 3s, and ranked 26th here (aka 5th worse in the league). However, they were 1st in the league by a full percentage point (33.3%, with the Bulls second with 34.3%, league average 36.3%) in the percentage that their opponents shot on open 3s. Of their -2.2 DRTG, around -1.75 of this is literally due to how poorly their opponents happened to shoot from OPEN 3s (so we can't even pin this on length).

Now, what I'm getting at here, is if an entire TEAM sample is still capable of such variation, imagine just how much variation can occur with lineups, where even the most highly played players are often playing only 70-75% of a season? Imagine how much variation when collinearity is present? This is one area where multi-year data can help - it helps reduce this sort of random variation. Or heck, even look at the variation in defensive free throw percentages!

Now, I firmly believe that RAPM is best used alongside tracking data. If a player is a +1 on defence in a "fluky" year, and a -1 on defence in a "bad luck" year, the tracking data can help actually showcase whether or not a player is still doing the right things on defence. If a player literally has the SAME rate of deflections, contested shots etc but their RAPM plummets, I don't think it's right to impugn them on a single year basis. However, tracking alone can't really make the assessments that RAPM can, because, well, tracking is still in its infancy, and can't capture everything we want. So, tracking can miss things that RAPM can capture, but RAPM can also capture some incorrect things that tracking can help weed out.

Furthermore, I'd consider multiple years of RAPM data are useful when parsing out coaching effects - a player is going to look a lot worse defensively if he's being coached by Jason Kidd rather than by Gregg Popovich, right? A player switching teams might be playing the same level of defence, but without the proper coaching, he'll look a lot worse than he should, even if it's not his fault.

Or heck, multiple years of data can help shed light on collinearity issues. I touched on these in my other post, but basically, a single year's worth of RAPM might come up with some bizarre results. After all, in single-year RAPM, Draymond Green was essentially equal 1st in ORAPM with LeBron back in 2015-16 (and ahead of Curry). I think Green has a lot of offensive worth, but these results are a clear departure from what he normally produces, and what one would anticipate from his skillset. And no matter how highly one thinks of Green, they'd most certainly struggle to rank him above Curry that season offensively, given how awe inspiring Curry was that year. The impact data from other seasons helps us comprehend what Green was doing in 2015-16, because it teaches us about what his skillset is typically producing, and helps us assess whether or not it can rationally produce the impact that single-year RAPM is showcasing.

Or heck, even Harden this past year - Harden is 5th in single year ORAPM, but Eric Gordon is 4th, and Ariza ranks rather higher than one would expect too. I don't think it's unreasonable that Harden (who has, on multiple occasions, led the league in single year RAPM) might have some of him ORAPM results usurped by Gordon/Ariza (who aren't bad offensive players), especially when Gordon/Ariza had noticeably lower ORAPM results last year (and in general, don't really jibe with the 4th best/21st best offensive players in the league status).

This is where I'm most skeptical of RAPM's usefulness for POY assessment. I understand that multi-year RAPM provides significantly more reliable results, but that's acknowledging that single-year RAPM doesn't have enough data to be reliable. Given the differences in rosters, coaches, systems, and individual performance from one season to the next, multiple seasons of data by definition muddy the results with data that doesn't apply to the current season. I can accept that multiple seasons of data helps reduce the noise from a single season of data, but that underscores the limited usefulness of RAPM for POY purposes.

This goes back to what RAPM was designed to do, which is to use large data sets to quantify a player's impact. It wasn't intended to be a ranking system or reliably quantify a player's impact based on only a single season of data (which seems like a lot of data but is limited in the world of large data). In short, RAPM has valuable applications, but ranking players' overall performance for a single season isn't what RAPM is good at.

It's not that it's useless, but its usefulness is limited. For example, if a player has demonstrable defensive impact over multiple seasons, that impact shouldn't go away for the current season, and it can be helpful to consider that when assessing multiple POY candidates. But that shouldn't be the primary way we judge player performance for this season.

I'm blabbering yet again, but I hope that some of my thoughts, even if you don't agree with them, help you form your own understanding of RAPM and its worth, and how it can be used in assessments.

Like you said about my derailing concern, blabber away. I really appreciate you taking the time and having the patience to delve into RAPM 101. It's apparent that you enjoy the topic, and you do a valuable service to the promotion of basketball analytics understanding among those of us who are beginning to eye the deep end of the pool. Your use of examples is VERY helpful. Again, thanks.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,484

Post#220 » by Jaivl » Fri Feb 2, 2018 11:11 pm

Olympic weightlifters are extremely mobile. Maybe that's why Dirk rates so good on offense :)
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.

Return to Player Comparisons