'17-'18 POY discussion

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Jurassic_Park
Pro Prospect
And1: 783

Re: RE: Re: '17-'18 POY discussion 

Post#281 » by Jurassic_Park » Wed Feb 7, 2018 2:23 am

ardee wrote:
Jurassic_Park wrote:At this rate, lebron will not finish top 5 in poy... just absurd. No one could have predicted that before the season.

still half the season to go though..
Sig bet with you or anyone that he finishes top 5.

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]

lol i should have bet you... going to take a superman effort for him to get into the top 5, with all the guys ahead of him playing poorly.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,235

Post#282 » by ardee » Thu Feb 8, 2018 4:54 am

Jurassic_Park wrote:
ardee wrote:
Jurassic_Park wrote:At this rate, lebron will not finish top 5 in poy... just absurd. No one could have predicted that before the season.

still half the season to go though..
Sig bet with you or anyone that he finishes top 5.

lol i should have bet you... going to take a superman effort for him to get into the top 5, with all the guys ahead of him playing poorly.

I'm still down to do it. He's the GOAT, and I've learned not to bet against him over the years.
ShotCreator
Analyst
And1: 2,332

Re: '17-'18 POY discussion 

Post#283 » by ShotCreator » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:56 am

Butler
Harden
Paul
Curry

The clear 4.

Giannis, Oladipo, Embiid are in play for #5 for me.

Davis, LeBron, Durant a decent distance away from top level seasons.

Paul has played better than anyone in the league and is only #3 due to missed games.

If LeBron and Curry, the only players better than CP3 since 2014, dont pick it up, Paul will probably get my POY #1 vote at this rate.
Swinging for the fences.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#284 » by bondom34 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:05 am

Think I'm still at my same grouping for now, Paul's missed too many games still.

ROY still has Simmons but Mitchell's trying to make me think.
DPOY I want to vote Roberson partially due to missed time but Gobert is making a later run at it.
COY Pop and Stevens are my top 2.
6MOY I legit have zero clue.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Missing Rings
Bench Warmer
And1: 774

Post#285 » by Missing Rings » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:38 am

bondom34 wrote:Think I'm still at my same grouping for now, Paul's missed too many games still.

DPOY I want to vote Roberson partially due to missed time but Gobert is making a later run at it.

I think DPOY should be who added the most value through the season, not who is the most important defensive player. Ironically, the 3 best defenders right now (Roberson, Gobert, and Embiid) have all missed some time.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#286 » by bondom34 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:40 am

Missing Rings wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Think I'm still at my same grouping for now, Paul's missed too many games still.

I think DPOY should be who added the most value through the season, not who is the most important defensive player. Ironically, the 3 best defenders right now (Roberson, Gobert, and Embiid) have all missed some time.

Agreed, and Green is having a down year too. Not really sure who I lean toward with it at the moment.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#287 » by HeartBreakKid » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:51 am

If Roberson didn't play so few games I'd give DPOY to him.

If Gobert can log in 60 games and some playoff time he's prob DPOY.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,507

Post#288 » by dhsilv2 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:14 am

HOT....burns your hands take. But for Coach of the year, why not Brett Brown? He didn't land Irving a proven star. Tatum is just a nice add in to make his team better. Pop still had hall of fame level guys like Aldridge and Gasol having really good years. Meanwhile philly has had some interesting issues and look playoff bound. Now any choice is totally ok, but Brown has been so good for philly and he's not exactly had an easy process.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#289 » by dhsilv2 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:17 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:If Roberson didn't play so few games I'd give DPOY to him.

If Gobert can log in 60 games and some playoff time he's prob DPOY.

Another hot take, but I think Paul George is almost as important for the OKC defense as anyone.

And maybe it's a make up but Whiteside seems to me to be a guy who like maybe not the best choice, he's been so good for so long, why not just have them give him the life time achievement DPOY award this year? He's been good enough to at least get consideration.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#290 » by bondom34 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:18 am

dhsilv2 wrote:

HOT....burns your hands take. But for Coach of the year, why not Brett Brown? He didn't land Irving a proven star. Tatum is just a nice add in to make his team better. Pop still had hall of fame level guys like Aldridge and Gasol having really good years. Meanwhile philly has had some interesting issues and look playoff bound. Now any choice is totally ok, but Brown has been so good for philly and he's not exactly had an easy process.

I see what you did there haha.

Interesting thought, my only questioning of it is because Philly is about where I figured they'd be preseason, though if they creep up in the east I could see it. Honestly the more I think the more you may be right.

Also I totally forgot Spo, he should be top 3 for sure. One of those other 3 I'd have to leave out because I need to add him.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#291 » by dhsilv2 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:24 am

bondom34 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Interesting thought, my only questioning of it is because Philly is about where I figured they'd be preseason, though if they creep up in the east I could see it. Honestly the more I think the more you may be right.

Also I totally forgot Spo, he should be top 3 for sure. One of those other 3 I'd have to leave out because I need to add him.

Well, on preseason didn't you expect philly to have fultz you know helping? Also I'm of the belief that the coach of the year award should somewhat reflect the development over time, though i fully get it almost never does.

GREAT call on Spo! That said can I please say again give whiteside some love! I feel like for years he's been ignored as an impact level guy, and he needs some love for once. Still fully with you. Spo was coach of the year level last year too. He's really moving up my list of coaches who actually move the needle. Really hope they can get him some talent so he can showcase his skills as he's without a doubt a top tier coach.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,759

Post#292 » by GSP » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:26 am

Why Pop over Spo or Casey? Seems hes been getting by on past rep in recent years
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#293 » by bondom34 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:29 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Well, on preseason didn't you expect philly to have fultz you know helping? Also I'm of the belief that the coach of the year award should somewhat reflect the development over time, though i fully get it almost never does.

GREAT call on Spo! That said can I please say again give whiteside some love! I feel like for years he's been ignored as an impact level guy, and he needs some love for once. Still fully with you. Spo was coach of the year level last year too. He's really moving up my list of coaches who actually move the needle. Really hope they can get him some talent so he can showcase his skills as he's without a doubt a top tier coach.

Honestly you're dead right. I think I'd drop Stevens.

GSP wrote:

Why Pop over Spo or Casey? Seems hes been getting by on past rep in recent years

The Spurs are the 3 seed missing an MVP candidate and outside LMA I don't think there's a really notable above average starter even on their team. I'd take him over Stevens and Casey's been good but I don't think they've overachieved like the Spurs have relative to on court talent.

I think right now it's Spo/Brown/Pop in some order to me.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#294 » by dhsilv2 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:32 am

GSP wrote:

Spurs best player and 2 time defensive player of the year is a no show, they're on 48 win pace and have the number 2 defense in the league.

I don't care who you think is better, but that's enough quality imo that I don't think it's all on rep. Why am I wrong?
ardee
RealGM

Post#295 » by ardee » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:37 am

Forget top 5, I'm fairly certain LeBron will end up no. 1 again at the end of the season, or at worst 2.
ShotCreator
Analyst
And1: 2,332

Post#296 » by ShotCreator » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:21 pm

Whiteside for DPOY. Embiid a step behind. Roberson could get it for me but being out for close to half the year just makes it a no-go. Even with health, the things Whiteside can do on defense makes him at least as good to me.

MIP is clearly Oladipo. He is maybe the 3rd or 4th deadliest transition player behind Curry, LeBron, and maybe Giannis. His defense is also bordering on elite. Never takes plays off. Just a crazy motor to start the year. Good shot making off the dribble from every level. Not some sort of maestro but is just a blunt force when heading toward the rim, really capable finisher and with a decent drive and kick game.

My COY so far, is Casey for sure. Committed to changing his style and put a bunch of young players in a good position to succeed. Outisde him, maybe Pop? Idk.

6MOY is Gordon, West, or Van Vleet. Tyus Jones and Korver are also in contention. West has impressed me almost every game I've watched from him. Unbelievably focused defense.
Swinging for the fences.
Sebastian
Head Coach
And1: 853

Post#297 » by Sebastian » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:24 am

Let's say the Jazz end up winning 45+ games. The biggest reason for the turnaround has been Gobert, with their hot shooting certainly being worth a note as well. If their D continues to be the best in the league in games Gobert plays, do you put him in your top 10? Obviously, he's missed a lot of time, but his impact on the court is pretty undeniable.
ardee
RealGM

Post#298 » by ardee » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:16 pm

Sebastian wrote:Let's say the Jazz end up winning 45+ games. The biggest reason for the turnaround has been Gobert, with their hot shooting certainly being worth a note as well. If their D continues to be the best in the league in games Gobert plays, do you put him in your top 10? Obviously, he's missed a lot of time, but his impact on the court is pretty undeniable.
Conceivably. This isn't a super strong year.

dontcalltimeout
Senior
And1: 547

Post#299 » by dontcalltimeout » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:19 pm

Read on Twitter
Starboy
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#300 » by Starboy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:40 pm

Butler should get some DPOY votes. He is doing what Kawhi couldn't last year. Performing on both ends of the floor without taking many plays off.

Return to Player Comparisons