'17-'18 POY discussion

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Mystical Apples
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,349

Re: '17-'18 POY discussion 

Post#781 » by Mystical Apples » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:28 pm

Didn't watch most of game 2. Was Houston blowing up Teague and leaving Rose wide open again? Looks kinda ugly stats-wise.
geometry
dontcalltimeout
Senior
And1: 547

Post#782 » by dontcalltimeout » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:12 pm

An interesting piece on Nylon Calc went up using nba matchup data to look at who players guard.

Some highlights from the co-author:

Butler defends the opposing team's Primary Option way more often than other All-Stars.

Read on Twitter

Jrue's defense on Lillard really is as good as we all have seen. [SIDENOTE: Of the two single-year RAPM sources I've seen for this season, one has Jrue 10th and the other has him 6th]

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
dontcalltimeout
Senior
And1: 547

Post#783 » by dontcalltimeout » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:03 am

If anyone was wondering, Embiid is still good.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Post#784 » by bondom34 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:16 am

dontcalltimeout wrote:If anyone was wondering, Embiid is still good.
Read on Twitter
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,201

Post#785 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:09 am

And for those looking Simmons + 24

scary!
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,504

Post#786 » by GSP » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:18 am

Rip Lillard top 5 talks
Unbiased hater
Sixth Man
And1: 749

Post#787 » by Unbiased hater » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:16 am

Jrue's defense is good but Lillard is missing open shots for 2 and 3 and he is been on shooting slump for some time so Jrue now gets credit even when he dont deserve it. From underrated to overrated in just one week.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,504

Post#788 » by GSP » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:21 am

Unbiased hater wrote:Jrue's defense is good but Lillard is missing open shots for 2 and 3 and he is been on shooting slump for some time so Jrue now gets credit even when he dont deserve it. From underrated to overrated in just one week.

Its been 3 playoff games now with 2 at home...........If a shooting slump at this point makes u as bad as Dame has been (and his defense has been another problem entirely) then he never shouldve been seen in top 5 convo anyways
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,243

Post#789 » by Clyde Frazier » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:22 am

So... What's the deal with mirotic? I had high hopes for him a few years ago, and eventually gave up on him. I get the change of scenery, but do we think this is for real? We'll see where we're at next all star break. Pretty incredible pickup for NOLA if it works out long term.

[As a huge Seinfeld fan, the first sentence was totally unintentional lol]
Unbiased hater
Sixth Man

Post#790 » by Unbiased hater » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:41 am

GSP wrote:
Unbiased hater wrote:Jrue's defense is good but Lillard is missing open shots for 2 and 3 and he is been on shooting slump for some time so Jrue now gets credit even when he dont deserve it. From underrated to overrated in just one week.

Its been 3 playoff games now with 2 at home...........If a shooting slump at this point makes u as bad as Dame has been (and his defense has been another problem entirely) then he never shouldve been seen in top 5 convo anyways

His shooting slump started during last 3-4 games of their stretch and continued until today where he had some good shooting games against Pelicans in RS and against Jazz in final game of the RS but most of his games he was bad at 3 point shooting so he was going for layups and on free throw line and games where that was most obvious were against Houston when their streak ended and against Denver which was second last game in RS .
Unbiased hater
Sixth Man

Post#791 » by Unbiased hater » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:49 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:So... What's the deal with mirotic? I had high hopes for him a few years ago, and eventually gave up on him. I get the change of scenery, but do we think this is for real? We'll see where we're at next all star break. Pretty incredible pickup for NOLA if it works out long term.

He was good but he was showing lack of motivation and wasnt pasionate and that make him inconsistent bc he wasnt giving 100% at every game. When Portis hit him Bulls as organisation and Chiraq as a city supported Portis instead of him with blaming him for incident, booing him on his first game after that incident so he got motivation to play harder bc he had something to prove and want to make them feel bad and to think that it was their biggest mistake in their lives .
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,205

Post#792 » by Dr Spaceman » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:59 am

Unbiased hater wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:So... What's the deal with mirotic? I had high hopes for him a few years ago, and eventually gave up on him. I get the change of scenery, but do we think this is for real? We'll see where we're at next all star break. Pretty incredible pickup for NOLA if it works out long term.

He was good but he was showing lack of motivation and wasnt pasionate and that make him inconsistent bc he wasnt giving 100% at every game. When Portis hit him Bulls as organisation and Chiraq as a city supported Portis instead of him with blaming him for incident, booing him on his first game after that incident so he got motivation to play harder bc he had something to prove and want to make them feel bad and to think that it was their biggest mistake in their lives .

Yeah he’s always seems fluke a temperamental, prickly and prideful dude. I remember him saying he was only going to come over to play in New York or Chicago or something like that.

He’s really good. He’s too streaky a shooter to really fill that pure shooter role for a team and so a lot of teams have given up on him but if you give him space to be creative, screen for guards, post up a little, he’s got a lot of talents. Good passer, can play off the dribble, and when his shot is hot he’s a ridiculous shooter.

I do wonder what’s going to happen if he’s the third big man and coming off the bench next year. I don’t think he’ll take that super well.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#793 » by bondom34 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:35 am

Always thought he was solid but shooting like Curry the last few games.

NOLA's gotta keep Cousins to keep AD happy but I'd really look into a sign and trade.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,205

Post#794 » by Dr Spaceman » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:38 am

bondom34 wrote:Always thought he was solid but shooting like Curry the last few games.

NOLA's gotta keep Cousins to keep AD happy but I'd really look into a sign and trade.

Is the bolded part true though? I mean I feel like we treat players like they’re dumb sometimes but AD has to realize on some level that they’re playing by far their best basketball without DMC and that right now with the roster they have they are a top 4 team in the West.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,067

Post#795 » by therealbig3 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:39 am

Yeah any chance of Lillard being in the top 5, barring a miracle comeback, is gone at this point. He was borderline as is, but he's gotten completely dominated so far.

So who does that leave? In no order other than Harden at 1:

Harden, LeBron, Davis, Giannis, Oladipo, Westbrook

Curry, Paul, and Butler were all awesome during the RS when they actually played, but they just didn't play enough, and I honestly don't see how they're going to crack the top 5 tbh. Unfortunately for Butler, he's not going to be able to really redeem himself throughout the playoffs, even if Curry kills it when he gets back he's already missing 1+ rounds of the playoffs in addition to his missed RS time, and Paul also missed way too much time.

As for Durant, I'll be honest: just wasn't that impressed with him this year, and I feel like the aforementioned guys were clearly better.

I feel like LeBron or Westbrook could conceivably miss the top 5 if they lose in the 1st round, because they're two guys who underwhelmed during the RS because of inconsistency, so they need to have a sustained, dominant playoff run for me to put them in there. Not expecting Giannis or Oladipo to make it out of the 1st round, so as long as they play really well and give their team a fighting chance in their series, they'll be top 5.
Senior
Sixth Man
And1: 3,668

Post#796 » by Senior » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:47 pm

atlantic reporting curry not close to playing

if pelicans sweep blazers he might miss round 2 too
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#797 » by bondom34 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:14 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Always thought he was solid but shooting like Curry the last few games.

Is the bolded part true though? I mean I feel like we treat players like they’re dumb sometimes but AD has to realize on some level that they’re playing by far their best basketball without DMC and that right now with the roster they have they are a top 4 team in the West.

From what he's said and how I've seen them interacting I think so. He seems to really want him back
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#798 » by MisterHibachi » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:36 pm

Kawhi on the Pelicans would probably push them right up to Houston/GS 10+ SRS territory when healthy. The defense of Jrue/Kawhi/AD :o :o
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#799 » by bondom34 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:39 pm

Dipo is the guy who's bumped in for me over Lillard so far.
mischievous
General Manager
And1: 3,482

Post#800 » by mischievous » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:11 pm

therealbig3 wrote:Yeah any chance of Lillard being in the top 5, barring a miracle comeback, is gone at this point. He was borderline as is

It was always silly, and the playoffs are just proving that. It made me shake my head when people were putting him over KD, the only real argument for it was on/off or just the fact that people don’t like KD.

Return to Player Comparisons