Green vs klay... Who gets the max ???

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Re: Green vs klay... Who gets the max ??? 

Post#61 » by bondom34 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:11 pm

clyde21 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
No, the article says that no one wanted to take on the Ryan Anderson contract, and give the Rockets didn't have a first round pick (and still don't in 2018), it was an extremely hard sell. Instead New York opted to with with Kanter and McDermott instead.

But it's indisputable that the Rockets have been--and still are--trying to unload the Anderson's contract. Not sure that it's even arguable. It's well documented and reported.

Can you show me where they've tried to dump it? Mayne I'm forgetting. But not dealing him for Melo( or being unwilling to add an asset to donso) doesn't say they're trying to dump it. It says they're indifferent about it. Its still a bad contract but they've been in no rush.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2757877-rockets-trade-rumors-ryan-anderson-being-quietly-shopped-by-houston

There are numerous reports like this coming from Houston's camp for about a year now. They've been looking to unload this garbage contract for a while now.

Quietly shopping isn't trying to dump. And they just signed that contract. They're not dying to dump him.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#62 » by clyde21 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:14 pm

bondom34 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Can you show me where they've tried to dump it? Mayne I'm forgetting. But not dealing him for Melo( or being unwilling to add an asset to donso) doesn't say they're trying to dump it. It says they're indifferent about it. Its still a bad contract but they've been in no rush.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2757877-rockets-trade-rumors-ryan-anderson-being-quietly-shopped-by-houston

There are numerous reports like this coming from Houston's camp for about a year now. They've been looking to unload this garbage contract for a while now.

Quietly shopping isn't trying to dump. And they just signed that contract. They're not dying to dump him.

Oh. You could've told me you were debating semantics from the get go and we could've avoided this entire exchange.
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,148

Post#63 » by PaulieWal » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:14 pm

clyde21 wrote:
I'm not disagreeing that it can't be done. I'm disagreeing that it's easy to do. There are a lot of moving parts involved and sometimes even the best FOs are not able to pull it off immediately.

It's easy in the sense that when they are really motivated, they will start attaching future picks/young to create room and someone will take those contracts.

My educated guess with Anderson's contract is that they are shopping him but aren't motivated enough to start handing out picks or other assets to ship him out. I think we can both agree on that.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#64 » by clyde21 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:16 pm

PaulieWal wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
I'm not disagreeing that it can't be done. I'm disagreeing that it's easy to do. There are a lot of moving parts involved and sometimes even the best FOs are not able to pull it off immediately.

It's easy in the sense that when they are really motivated, they will start attaching future picks/young to create room and someone will take those contracts.

My educated guess with Anderson's contract is that they are shopping him but aren't motivated enough to start handing out picks or other assets to ship him out. I think we can both agree on that.

Well, the problem for Houston is that they haven't had first round picks these last two years, so even if they were motivated, their hands were tied.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by bondom34 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:19 pm

clyde21 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Oh. You could've told me you were debating semantics from the get go and we could've avoided this entire exchange.

I mean there's a pretty big gap there. OKC would have loved to be without Kanters contract for years too but they weren't dying to dump him.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,518

Post#66 » by dhsilv2 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:49 pm

bondom34 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Quietly shopping isn't trying to dump. And they just signed that contract. They're not dying to dump him.

I mean there's a pretty big gap there. OKC would have loved to be without Kanters contract for years too but they weren't dying to dump him.

Years? The contract started in 16 right?
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by bondom34 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:00 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Years? The contract started in 16 right?

Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,322

Post#68 » by Clyde Frazier » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:38 pm

Haven't had a chance to skim and not sure if any articles have been written yet, but gut feeling: they both take a little less and lacob ponies up a ton of money in luxury tax, relative to what most teams would do.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#69 » by clyde21 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:01 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:Haven't had a chance to skim and not sure if any articles have been written yet, but gut feeling: they both take a little less and lacob ponies up a ton of money in luxury tax, relative to what most teams would do.

It starts how much Durant is going to make. He just took a steep discount this year (about 8-9mil) so I'm not sure he'll take one moving forward. I'm gonna pretend he takes the max in this scenario though:

Durant signs for 4/158 after this season.

18-19:
Curry: 37.4
Durant: 35.3
Thompson: 18.9
Green: 17.4
Iggy: 16.0
Liv: 8.3
Jones: 1.5
Bell: 1.3

~139mil in total salary for those 8 guys, paying 27mil in luxury tax.

19-20:
Curry: 40.2
Durant: 38.1
Green: 18.5
Iggy: 17.1
Liv: 7.6
Jones: 2.3
Bell: 1.8

That's 125mil BEFORE we sign Klay.

A max for Klay would be ~32mil...which would mean over 100mil in luxury taxes in 19-20.

And then Green would be up for a max the following season and it would get worse.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,322

Post#70 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:39 am

clyde21 wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:Haven't had a chance to skim and not sure if any articles have been written yet, but gut feeling: they both take a little less and lacob ponies up a ton of money in luxury tax, relative to what most teams would do.

It starts how much Durant is going to make. He just took a steep discount this year (about 8-9mil) so I'm not sure he'll take one moving forward. I'm gonna pretend he takes the max in this scenario though:

Durant signs for 4/158 after this season.

18-19:
Curry: 37.4
Durant: 35.3
Thompson: 18.9
Green: 17.4
Iggy: 16.0
Liv: 8.3
Jones: 1.5
Bell: 1.3

~139mil in total salary for those 8 guys, paying 27mil in luxury tax.

19-20:
Curry: 40.2
Durant: 38.1
Green: 18.5
Iggy: 17.1
Liv: 7.6
Jones: 2.3
Bell: 1.8

That's 125mil BEFORE we sign Klay.

A max for Klay would be ~32mil...which would mean over 100mil in luxury taxes in 19-20.

And then Green would be up for a max the following season and it would get worse.

Found this from December:

Big tax bills

This inevitably led on to the $400m or $300m question. Are the Warriors going to be paying those huge tax bills once the repeater tax hits and they need to pay Klay Thompson and Draymond Green?

There was a little humming and harring but eventually Lacob said, “We’re probably biased to do what it takes.”

Lacob rightly stressed that a lot will depend on how well the Warriors are playing, what the competition is doing, and what happens over the next couple of years. Players age, guys get injured, and you can’t make decisions until you are there.

It’s worth noting that later in the interview Lacob returned to the theme, saying, “We’ve got a great core; we want to try to keep it together as long as we can.”

https://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2017/12/17/16784226/nba-2017-golden-state-warriors-steph-curry-kevin-durant-joe-lacob-salary-cap-luxury-tax-politics

Ok so he basically says wait and see. I'm sure they could move iggy if necessary. We'll see how much these guys really want to stay together.
CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,224

Post#71 » by CodeBreaker » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:11 am

Draymond.

He's more important to the Warriors than Klay.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,162

Post#72 » by cpower » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:51 pm

Draymond Green..Klay is a nice to have player for us right now. I dont mind if his shots go to Curry
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,549

Post#73 » by Alatan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:30 am

I doubt that either or them will be worth a max when they pass 30 and their D falls to pieces. Its a tough choice for GSW. They both have sentimental value but i think they will move one or both of them.

Return to Player Comparisons