Who's better, Stephen Curry or Prime Allen Iverson?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Stephen Curry VS Prime Allen Iverson?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 2, 2018 4:00 am

Curry
84%
Iverson
16%

Total votes: 86

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Re: Who's better, Stephen Curry or Prime Allen Iverson? 

Post#21 » by bondom34 » Fri Jun 1, 2018 3:54 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
DidUSaySometing wrote:
pandrade83 wrote:Steph - this isn't even remotely close.

it's definitely close. iverson is a top 10 all time scorer

He absolutely is not. And I have his initials in my name.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Never knew this was why. I'm going to feel dumb but haven't had coffee yet. What is NO?
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#22 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Jun 1, 2018 4:10 pm

bondom34 wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:
DidUSaySometing wrote:
it's definitely close. iverson is a top 10 all time scorer

Never knew this was why. I'm going to feel dumb but haven't had coffee yet. What is NO?

New Orleans? Isn't he a Pelicans fan?
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#23 » by bondom34 » Fri Jun 1, 2018 4:13 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:

New Orleans? Isn't he a Pelicans fan?

Gonna make coffee. Good call :D
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
mirrornick
RealGM
And1: 13,725

Post#24 » by mirrornick » Fri Jun 1, 2018 4:30 pm

Can Curry lead the 76ers in 2001 the way AI did? AI had a pretty bad team. He won a game against the superteam Lakers.
I don't know to be honest.. AI was fearless. Steph Curry has the edge as a 3pt shooter that's about it.
mischievous
General Manager
And1: 3,482

Post#25 » by mischievous » Fri Jun 1, 2018 5:02 pm

mirrornick wrote:Can Curry lead the 76ers in 2001 the way AI did? AI had a pretty bad team. He won a game against the superteam Lakers.
I don't know to be honest.. AI was fearless. Steph Curry has the edge as a 3pt shooter that's about it.

Considering Curry is a much better scorer than Ai, I don’t see why he couldn’t have. Defense isn’t a meaningful difference for either.
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#26 » by ronnymac2 » Fri Jun 1, 2018 5:07 pm

mischievous wrote:
mirrornick wrote:Can Curry lead the 76ers in 2001 the way AI did? AI had a pretty bad team. He won a game against the superteam Lakers.

Considering Curry is a much better scorer than Ai, I don’t see why he couldn’t have. Defense isn’t a meaningful difference for either.

Curry can't play Iverson's MPG. He's too weak. Can't pressure a defense like AI. Imagine if Curry didn't have Klay All Day to bail him out every time the other team went up by 10.

Both Curry and Iverson are one-trick ponies. I think Curry is better, but Curry has severe flaws in his game. Honestly, Iverson meshes better with the Sixer squad to the point that the original question isn't unreasonable to ask.
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
BigShaq34
Sixth Man
And1: 2,849

Post#27 » by BigShaq34 » Fri Jun 1, 2018 6:12 pm

curry is better

he's a better scorer and a better ball handler.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,861

Post#28 » by Stanford » Fri Jun 1, 2018 6:13 pm

That was the one season he was able to do it. Steph is so much better.
permaximum
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#29 » by permaximum » Fri Jun 1, 2018 6:20 pm

Besides 6-7% better shooting efficiency compared to league average for Curry, Iverson is better everywhere else. Iverson was a 2 time defensive player of the year in NCAA and he was getting DPOY votes in NBA in his prime. He was a better defender, better ball handler, far faster, quicker, better finisher. He had 42-inch vertical leap and wasn't guardable at all with 1 player on him. You had to double team him all the time.

He also had better basketball IQ, better court vision, he could consistently score 30+ every night and he could play all 48 minutes every night. If you replaced Iverson with Curry in 2001 Sixers, you would get a .500 team that barely made the playoffs.

Ask this question to any NBA player or a basketball person and you'll get Iverson as the answer 9/10.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,681

Post#30 » by Peregrine01 » Fri Jun 1, 2018 6:46 pm

permaximum wrote:Besides 6-7% better shooting efficiency compared to league average for Curry, Iverson is better everywhere else. Iverson was a 2 time defensive player of the year in NCAA and he was getting DPOY votes in NBA in his prime. He was a better defender, better ball handler, far faster, quicker, better finisher. He had 42-inch vertical leap and wasn't guardable at all with 1 player on him. You had to double team him all the time.

He also had better basketball IQ, better court vision, he could consistently score 30+ every night and he could play all 48 minutes every night. If you replaced Iverson with Curry in 2001 Sixers, you would get a .500 team that barely made the playoffs.

Ask this question to any NBA player or a basketball person and you'll get Iverson as the answer 9/10.

Lol
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,507

Post#31 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Jun 1, 2018 7:49 pm

That 01 76ers had about the best possible defensive team you could put around someone for that era.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#32 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Jun 1, 2018 7:53 pm

permaximum wrote:Besides 6-7% better shooting efficiency compared to league average for Curry, Iverson is better everywhere else. Iverson was a 2 time defensive player of the year in NCAA and he was getting DPOY votes in NBA in his prime. He was a better defender, better ball handler, far faster, quicker, better finisher. He had 42-inch vertical leap and wasn't guardable at all with 1 player on him. You had to double team him all the time.

Iverson was a bad defender most of his career who gambled and got a lot of steals. Curry lead the league in steals as well...if we used that awful defensive analysis of the early 00's, Curry would be seen as a far better defender than he actually is.

There is no basketball person who would pick Iverson over Curry. There's a reason this very question is seen as rather comical to most people here.
permaximum
Sophomore

Post#33 » by permaximum » Fri Jun 1, 2018 8:14 pm

Peregrine01 wrote:

Lol

Lol for what? DPOY votes? Check DPOY and Defense teams between 1998-2005. He didn't make any but he was getting votes in DPOY and Defense voting.
permaximum
Sophomore

Post#34 » by permaximum » Fri Jun 1, 2018 8:18 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:

Iverson was a bad defender most of his career who gambled and got a lot of steals. Curry lead the league in steals as well...if we used that awful defensive analysis of the early 00's, Curry would be seen as a far better defender than he actually is.

There is no basketball person who would pick Iverson over Curry. There's a reason this very question is seen as rather comical to most people here.

Steal is the most important and most impactful stat you can think of in basketbal and Iverson was a good defender even without his steals in his prime.

9/10 basketball person would pick Iverson over Curry. Just like they chose him over Wade, Durant, Nash and many other guys that had better TS% in Open Court by the likes of GMs, coaches and hall of famers.

You guys have no clue about basketball AND you guys have no clue about analytics in the same time.

1. You should start playing basketball.
2. You should start statistical learning exams starting with regression.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#35 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Jun 1, 2018 8:58 pm

permaximum wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Steal is the most important and most impactful stat you can think of in basketbal and Iverson was a good defender even without his steals in his prime.

9/10 basketball person would pick Iverson over Curry. Just like they chose him over Wade, Durant, Nash and many other guys that had better TS% in Open Court by the likes of GMs, coaches and hall of famers.

You guys have no clue about basketball AND you guys have no clue about analytics in the same time.

1. You should start playing basketball.
2. You should start statistical learning exams starting with regression.

A steal is a nice thing to have, but by your poor analysis we should conclude that Curry is every bit as strong a defender as Iverson.

As for learning regression, perhaps you should look at the RAPM results specific to Iveron's defense. Despite the limited "off" data for iverson we still see with a pretty consistent result that Iverson was a poor to neutral defender and did not have nearly the impact on the court that Curry has had.

As for what basketball people say, well if you have a source by all means lets here it. We both know you don't have 10 people commenting on this question and we both likely know that the result would be unquestionably in favor of Curry here.
anthony00
Analyst
And1: 1,514

Post#36 » by anthony00 » Fri Jun 1, 2018 9:09 pm

Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,989

Post#37 » by Wallace_Wallace » Fri Jun 1, 2018 9:34 pm

If we are talking about iconic figures and culture impact, then they're pretty much tied. But abilities along, Curry all day.

Iverson's best ability, ball handling, is maybe slightly better than Curry's.......and that's a hard maybe.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,074
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#38 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Jun 1, 2018 11:18 pm

Wallace_Wallace wrote:If we are talking about iconic figures and culture impact, then they're pretty much tied. But abilities along, Curry all day.

Iverson's best ability, ball handling, is maybe slightly better than Curry's.......and that's a hard maybe.

Eh. I wouldn’t go that far. There is a reason when Curry is off on his shooting, his game suffers a ton. He doesn’t have near the ability to create off the dribble that Iverson had, despite playing in a more driving friendly era.

Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,681

Post#39 » by Peregrine01 » Fri Jun 1, 2018 11:29 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
Wallace_Wallace wrote:If we are talking about iconic figures and culture impact, then they're pretty much tied. But abilities along, Curry all day.

Eh. I wouldn’t go that far. There is a reason when Curry is off on his shooting, his game suffers a ton. He doesn’t have near the ability to create off the dribble that Iverson had, despite playing in a more driving friendly era.

I think Steph has proven to be plenty effective when his shot's off and he's still handling the rock. Problem is that in Kerr's system, he too often plays off-ball which is often a detriment to his game, especially when his shot's off.

Iverson never had that problem as he was one of the highest usage players ever. And when his shot was off, he still looked engaged because he would still keep taking shots for good or worse.
DidUSaySometing
Junior
And1: 104

Post#40 » by DidUSaySometing » Sat Jun 2, 2018 12:54 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:
DidUSaySometing wrote:
The-Power wrote:Yes, because he played extremely high MPG, played in the playoffs basically only during his prime years, and had crazy USG%. PPG without context is a terrible measure to use. His TS% has been at 48.9, that's horrid efficiency and a testament to him chucking up bad shots left and right. He had his qualities as a creator and his teams rolled with/relied on him in this regard quite a bit, but it doesn't change the fact that Iverson just took a huge amount of shots at terrible efficiency to get to the PPG you hold in such high esteem. That doesn't make him a top 10 scorer of all time – not even close.

his playoff PPG still shows how dominant he was. AI averaged 35.6 PPG at 50 TS% against shaq and kobe in the finals while his teammates only made 6 3s. the 01 76ers starting lineup only made 15 3s in the entire reg season, yet iverson's TS% was still league average.

in 05 after the rule changes he averaged 31.2 PPG at 56 TS% against the pistons (third best defense) in the playoffs

It shows that he took a lot of shots...if he was dominant he would shoot above league average. He obviously was not a legitimate 35 point scorer, there's a big difference between his 35 and Michael Jordan's 35.

31.2 PPG at 56 TS% vs the pistons isn't dominant? look at duncan, wade, manu, shaq's stats against the 05 pistons... they all struggled

Return to Player Comparisons