Who has more value Devin Booker or Jayson Tatum?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Who has more value Devin Booker or Jayson Tatum?

Devin Booker
37%
Jayson Tatum
63%

Total votes: 146

TOO
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,310

Re: Who has more value Devin Booker or Jayson Tatum? 

Post#21 » by TOO » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:15 pm

If Devin Booker was in a bigger market, the world would be slobbering all over him. He's in Phoenix, a team that nobody respects, not the fans, the media, etc.
Maze
Bench Warmer
And1: 962

Post#22 » by Maze » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:36 pm

I say Booker by a hair.Personally, I think Booker is the best 3 level(slash, post, mid range, 3pt range out to 35 ft) player to enter the NBAsince Kevin Durant.He's a special/gifted offensive player.Tatum is right there with him, tho.I love his ISO game.I just think Bookerhas more moves in his arsenal.He's more unpredictable.Booker's 17 months older, but I don't think that's too big of a gap.That being said, Tatum looks to be the most complete player of the two.So I could actually see him having more value around the league.Beingthat he shows promise as a defensive player.Offensively, I believe Booker will always be more explosive, tho.You can't go wrong witheither player.I do think Devin Booker is the most disrespected young star in the league.Fans around the league like to take shots at him,but he's still only 21 yrs old and stuck on one of the worst ran franchises in sports.He has absolutely zero talent around him.I see teamsdouble/triple teaming him all the time because the Suns don't have a team around him.Out of all the young stars in the game, I thinkhe has to work the hardest/carry the heaviest load.Donovan Mitchell has competent coaches, teammates, and a proven system in Utah.

Tatum has maybe THEE MOST COMPETENT coach, system, teammates around him in Boston.Booker has had to deal with total chaos
and being the sole focus of opposing defenses since he was 19 yrs old.He gets worn down midway through the season and it starts
affecting his efficiency/effort on defense.The Suns are basically asking him to be LeBron James out there, but Booker's not built for
that.I think the Suns need to add more talented around him(especially a competent pg) and stop trying to make him facilitate/do
everything.People say "oh he's a chucker" but that's the only chance this version of the Suns have of securing a W.Add that to the
controversy around his 70 point game, and you have casual fans around the league thinking he's a bad player.I think he's a brilliant
offensive player.If he can just play average D, I see him being a top 5-10 player in the league someday soon.Has the killer mentality
and he's proven to be clutch when it comes to knocking down big shots at crucial moments.Tat being said, Tatum still has the chance
to be the more complete player.If more complete = better, so be it.Like I said, I don't think you could go wrong with either of these
guys.
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Post#23 » by Wilber85 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:48 pm

Let's see Tatum next year. Y'all are ridiculous. I will bet money Booker has a better career!
SideSwipe
Analyst
And1: 660

Post#24 » by SideSwipe » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:27 pm

This is Booker and it's not close. Like not even remotely. Jason Tatum looks good. Booker is good. 25-5-5 folks. nuf said.
PierceFan4ever
RealGM
And1: 38,436

Post#25 » by PierceFan4ever » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:30 pm

Booker plays zero defense this is easily Tatum.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#26 » by bondom34 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:51 pm

Yeah Tatum.is 2 years younger and already probably a little better. It's close right now but I go Tatum and expect the gap to increase.

Edit: And if this is trade value, Tatum has a much better contract situation.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#27 » by Dr Spaceman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:04 pm

I am.... surprised to see the takes on here. Tatum as a rookie was already better than Booker as a third year player. I just don’t see any way this could be considered close. I’m relatively low on Booker but man, this is kind of crazy. Tatum to me has future star written all over him
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,529

Post#28 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:04 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:I am.... surprised to see the takes on here. Tatum as a rookie was already better than Booker as a third year player. I just don’t see any way this could be considered close. I’m relatively low on Booker but man, this is kind of crazy. Tatum to me has future star written all over him

25 ppg and having that 70 point game really I think have influenced people on booker. Plus he gets huge dunk and at times shows so real offensive flashes. That said agree 100%, I'd thought the playoffs really cemented Tatum is going places.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#29 » by bondom34 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:07 pm

To be for it's over 2:1 Tatum. Which seems right.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
contestedlayups
Sixth Man
And1: 1,490

Post#30 » by contestedlayups » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:33 pm

Straight up value, it's Tatum by a mile because of the excellence he displayed in the playoffs this year. That gives him a large separation from Booker. However, the Suns and Booker can close that gap this coming season with a playoff run where Booker shines, like has the capability to do.
Subscribe to Contested Layups on iTunes or Google Play!

Itunes: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/contested-layups/id1331840924
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#31 » by Ballerhogger » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:27 pm

After the playoffs i still got Booker, he just doesnt have team around him to compliment him. See how he does with a good defender in Ayton
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,295

Post#32 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:09 pm

FinallyImHere wrote:I was talking with my buddy who is a Suns fan and he said he wouldn't trade Devin Booker straight up for Jayson Tatum. As a Celtics fan I might be biased in thinking Tatum is far more valuable but what do you guys think?

Well, Booker is more valuable in the sense that the Suns have less assets available so he’s effectively Phoenix’ franchise player. Tatum has the potential to be that, but he isn’t that at the moment — especially given that Boston has so many other high end assets.

Straight up as a trade I don’t think it makes sense either; or rather isn’t necessary.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#33 » by The-Power » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:29 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:See how he does with a good defender in Ayton

This is an ironic statement, I suppose?
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,633

Post#34 » by LikeABosh » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:10 am

I really like Tatum because I don't think there are any egregious flaws to his game and the fact that I'm saying that when he's only 19 is crazy

But...just going off one year we'd also say IT is the 2nd best PG in the league. I still think Booker is gonna end up being the scoring leader multiple times over so I'm not convinced he's less valuable than Tatum
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#35 » by Prokorov » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:12 pm

FinallyImHere wrote:I was talking with my buddy who is a Suns fan and he said he wouldn't trade Devin Booker straight up for Jayson Tatum. As a Celtics fan I might be biased in thinking Tatum is far more valuable but what do you guys think?

your buddy is a dolt. its tatum and its not even remotely close
NaturalBuns
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,463

Post#36 » by NaturalBuns » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:49 am

This thread is dumb.

If Boston didn't make the playoffs last year it wouldn't even be a debate. Crap shoot comparison
oldscho0led wrote:Baseball is all about momentum. Pirates will carry their winning ways and beat Giants in the Wildcard.

A's over Royals. Lester and experience will prove that he's worth the trade.

Tigers winning it all. Tigers are, imo, peaking at the right time.
azizx
Freshman
And1: 42

Post#37 » by azizx » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:44 pm

TOO wrote:If Devin Booker was in a bigger market, the world would be slobbering all over him. He's in Phoenix, a team that nobody respects, not the fans, the media, etc.

- This is an overlooked part of it. Can you imagine Booker on the Lakers? How ridiculous the hype would be? That's when a debate like Booker-Tatum really gets on equal footing. Bonus is that Tatum has been in the playoffs (albeit only as a rookie) while Booker hasn't sniffed that intensity.

- To address Booker's lack of defense, it certainly is something he puts no real effort into. Tatum, on the other hand, plays defense with effort but as the leading offensive option for Boston in the playoffs, he was nowhere near lockdown.
-- Obviously, Tatum's physical tools for defense are better given his length.
- I don't think it's Tatum and "it's not even close". It definitely is a toss-up.
- The key question is what you think their realistic ceilings are.
- I sincerely see a lot of PP in Tatum. This comparison is way too tempting to pass up. Some differences, but you get the gist.
- Devin Booker...I'm absolutely not sure. His game seems tailored for today's NBA. He could use more bounce and pure athleticism.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Post#38 » by Impuniti » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:52 pm

Missing Rings wrote:Booker is the better prospect in a far worse situation. This website, and people in general, are so short-sighted that they can only remember the last month (many claiming Horford a top 5 player, people thinking Boston would beat Golden State in the finals when they were up 2-0 against Cleveland).

Difficult to compare them considering their situations, but to me Booker has more potential.

Seriously.. Didn't Booker average 25ppg as a 20 year old in the league? That's incredible. He needs to vastly improve his defense however. If you flip Booker and Tatum, they beat the Cavs last year.
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,058

Post#39 » by iggymcfrack » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:01 pm

Devin Booker didn’t even really develop into a useful player in the league until his 3rd year and he still had a negative RPM last year. Tatum as a rookie already had a higher RPM than Paul George and led the Celtics to within a game of the Finals as obviously their best player. He does get a little advantage from playing with Stevens, but he’s still a special player. This isn’t close.
azizx
Freshman
And1: 42

Post#40 » by azizx » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:19 pm

Isn't RPM based on raw boxscore plus-minus which means Devin Booker will naturally have a worse RPM due to how atrocious his team is? Bonus is that I think RPM uses historical performance as an initial adjustment (so good players get separated from lesser players, despite playing in the same lineup).
Tatum was on a 55 win team, and I acknowledge he was likely a positive contributor to this.
I understand RPM adjusts for lineup, BUT it does not entirely cancel it out.
I'm not entirely sure spitting out advanced stats without the full calculation or context is sufficient.

Return to Player Comparisons