The Lebron Thread (2017 - 18 Pt. 6 & Offseason/FA)

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

SideshowBob
General Manager
And1: 6,253

The Lebron Thread (2017 - 18 Pt. 6 & Offseason/FA) 

Post#1 » by SideshowBob » Thu Jun 7, 2018 12:05 pm

New thread
But in his home dwelling...the hi-top faded warrior is revered. *Smack!* The sound of his palm blocking the basketball... the sound of thousands rising, roaring... the sound of "get that sugar honey iced tea outta here!"
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,235

Re: The Lebron Thread (2017 - 18 Pt. 6 & Offseason/FA) 

Post#2 » by ardee » Thu Jun 7, 2018 12:26 pm

That was ridiculously fast. Whole thread done in two weeks. LeBron truly is the most unique athlete, probably in history, everyone has an opinion on him.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,235

Post#3 » by ardee » Thu Jun 7, 2018 12:27 pm

SideshowBob wrote:

Is he gonna be no. 1 on your list after this season?
pandrade83
Starter
And1: 604

Post#4 » by pandrade83 » Thu Jun 7, 2018 12:28 pm

ardee

The media is drooling over KD because of narrative. KD outplayed Lebron in the game that ended the series on a night when his own teammates played relatively poorly by their own standards. It doesn't matter that Lebron turned in an outstanding performance himself or that he's had multiple games better. KD is the shiny new toy relative to Lebron & people get dulled by Lebron's consistent excellence.
SideshowBob
General Manager
And1: 6,253

Post#5 » by SideshowBob » Thu Jun 7, 2018 12:32 pm

ardee wrote:
SideshowBob wrote:

Is he gonna be no. 1 on your list after this season?

I had him at #1 for career value after he finished 2017.
But in his home dwelling...the hi-top faded warrior is revered. *Smack!* The sound of his palm blocking the basketball... the sound of thousands rising, roaring... the sound of "get that sugar honey iced tea outta here!"
thekdog34
Starter
And1: 782

Post#6 » by thekdog34 » Thu Jun 7, 2018 12:41 pm

Missed opportunities for the Cavs. Should have won game 1 and with Curry playing poorly, had a chance for game 3.
KTM_2813
Pro Prospect
And1: 725

Post#7 » by KTM_2813 » Thu Jun 7, 2018 12:48 pm

pandrade83 wrote:The media is drooling over KD because of narrative. KD outplayed Lebron in the game that ended the series on a night when his own teammates played relatively poorly by their own standards. It doesn't matter that Lebron turned in an outstanding performance himself or that he's had multiple games better. KD is the shiny new toy relative to Lebron & people get dulled by Lebron's consistent excellence.

The media killed Durant when he signed with the Warriors, but all it took for them to fall in love with him again were a few great Finals games. This is why I think players shouldn't worry about the immediate backlash when they go ring chasing. As long as they win a championship in the end, all will be forgotten. Seriously, it's amazing how people like Stephen A. Smith were absolutely murdering Durant in 2016 but are now saying he could go down as a top-five player because of all the winning he's doing. :lol:
sansterre wrote:The success of a star's season is:

Individual performance + Teammate performance - Opposition +/- Luck
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#8 » by Dupp » Thu Jun 7, 2018 12:51 pm

KD has worse defenders playing him and way more help. He doesn’t get doubled.

So while still brilliant what Lebron is doing is way harder and more impressive.

Anyway been a good four years as a cavs fan. Fairwell goat.
dontcalltimeout
Senior
And1: 547

Post#9 » by dontcalltimeout » Thu Jun 7, 2018 1:07 pm

Okay it's time that we had a discussion on the State of LeBron's Jump Shot.

I spent most of these playoffs telling people that LeBron's jump shooting was so dangerous to defenses because his confidence in the jumper was so high. I find it really impressive that he essentially willed himself into being a really confident jump shooter because he saw that as the only option on a team where he has to take so many freaking shots.

THe past two games, the jumper has looked ugly. Is it as simple as the eye (don't you need both eyes working well to have proper depth perception)? Could it be fatigue related? If I remember correctly he seems to have been concussed once or twice this playoff run and i wonder if that's affecting him.

Any one have theories on this?
thekdog34
Starter
And1: 782

Post#10 » by thekdog34 » Thu Jun 7, 2018 1:30 pm

dontcalltimeout wrote:Okay it's time that we had a discussion on the State of LeBron's Jump Shot.

I spent most of these playoffs telling people that LeBron's jump shooting was so dangerous to defenses because his confidence in the jumper was so high. I find it really impressive that he essentially willed himself into being a really confident jump shooter because he saw that as the only option on a team where he has to take so many freaking shots.

THe past two games, the jumper has looked ugly. Is it as simple as the eye (don't you need both eyes working well to have proper depth perception)? Could it be fatigue related? If I remember correctly he seems to have been concussed once or twice this playoff run and i wonder if that's affecting him.

I think it's fatigue related. The same thing happened to the Rockets when they went to a super short rotation (missed 27 threes in a row).
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,801

Post#11 » by yoyoboy » Thu Jun 7, 2018 1:36 pm

It's simply amazing how many defensive breakdowns this team has. Guys just backdoor cut or slip screen JR and Love all game long. GS had about 12-13 completely uncontested layups because of mistakes by those two guys alone. Green and Hood make a ton of defensive mistakes, as well, but JR and Love are by far the biggest culprits in my eyes. They just never notice what's going on unless it's directly in front of their eyes. I think Love has actually done a better job guarding isolations than executing on team defense, where his awareness has been terrible. And JR is just beyond horrible at every facet of the game, but we know this.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,973

Post#12 » by RCM88x » Thu Jun 7, 2018 1:57 pm

thekdog34 wrote:
dontcalltimeout wrote:Okay it's time that we had a discussion on the State of LeBron's Jump Shot.

I think it's fatigue related. The same thing happened to the Rockets when they went to a super short rotation (missed 27 threes in a row).

That, but I think it's more mental fatigue with LeBron. He knows this series was over the second G1 went to OT and he's sort of played like that at times. He's just done with this team and tired of carrying the burden in the way he has. I think it's pretty clear he doesn't have much trust in the team as a whole, rightfully so I guess.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,491

Post#13 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Jun 7, 2018 2:03 pm

Regressing back to the mean. Players don't just "become better" or "flip a switch". They just get lucky and get hot at times.
dontcalltimeout
Senior

Post#14 » by dontcalltimeout » Thu Jun 7, 2018 2:29 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:

Regressing back to the mean. Players don't just "become better" or "flip a switch". They just get lucky and get hot at times.

Eh, but he's been shooting confidently for the past two seasons pretty much. That's not what we normally talk about in terms of getting hot.

Now, these two games may just be a slump he'll bounce back from. Hopefully, that's the case.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,182

Post#15 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Jun 7, 2018 2:31 pm

KTM_2813 wrote:
pandrade83 wrote:The media is drooling over KD because of narrative. KD outplayed Lebron in the game that ended the series on a night when his own teammates played relatively poorly by their own standards. It doesn't matter that Lebron turned in an outstanding performance himself or that he's had multiple games better. KD is the shiny new toy relative to Lebron & people get dulled by Lebron's consistent excellence.

The media killed Durant when he signed with the Warriors, but all it took for them to fall in love with him again were a few great Finals games. This is why I think players shouldn't worry about the immediate backlash when they go ring chasing. As long as they win a championship in the end, all will be forgotten. Seriously, it's amazing how people like Stephen A. Smith were absolutely murdering Durant in 2016 but are now saying he could go down as a top-five player because of all the winning he's doing. :lol:

If all was truly forgotten, Durant wouldn't feel the need to make insecure comments to the media on a regular basis to defend his weak decision.

Don't confuse the talking points in the media (who generally dislike LeBron and want controversy for ratings) with the opinion of the average fan.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,182

Post#16 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Jun 7, 2018 2:33 pm

My guess is that his eye is the problem. It looks worse by the game and is probably affecting his vision.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,491

Post#17 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Jun 7, 2018 2:42 pm

dontcalltimeout wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Eh, but he's been shooting confidently for the past two seasons pretty much. That's not what we normally talk about in terms of getting hot.

Now, these two games may just be a slump he'll bounce back from. Hopefully, that's the case.

Do you think he wasn't confident or that the shots weren't falling? To me they weren't falling and he's been shooting well above average in the playoffs (his jumpers at least) so it makes sense for him to have some bad games to even things out.
The High Cyde
Head Coach
And1: 12,319

Post#18 » by The High Cyde » Thu Jun 7, 2018 3:26 pm

It's not a coincidence his jumper went to **** after Draymond basically poked his eye out
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,432

Post#19 » by FlyingArrow » Thu Jun 7, 2018 3:39 pm

This would be a good end to the series -

Game 4: LeBron goes off for 64, 14, 10 and a win for Cleveland while taking 40 shots.
Game 5: GSW closes it out at home. LeBron has a pedestrian 30, 9, 8. But that secures a 40pt avg and triple double for the series.
dontcalltimeout
Senior

Post#20 » by dontcalltimeout » Thu Jun 7, 2018 3:57 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
dontcalltimeout wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Do you think he wasn't confident or that the shots weren't falling? To me they weren't falling and he's been shooting well above average in the playoffs (his jumpers at least) so it makes sense for him to have some bad games to even things out.

It might be a little of both. But to me, it didn't look like he's rising up with confidence off the dribble like he's been doing most of the playoffs and the year. Most of the jump shots I saw, he seemed a bit reticent and missing badly (did he have 2 air balls last night?). That's pretty subjective though, so I would definitely listen to other opinions because the (non-troll) posters in this thread know LeBron really well.

Return to Player Comparisons