Lead Assistant
And1: 1,325

Where does Curry Rank Amongst your All Time PG's 

Post#1 » by mdonnelly1989 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:47 pm

Off the top of my head...

Magic
Oscar
Frazier
West (This will depend if you think West was a PG or SG)
Nash
CP3
Stockton
Isiah
Kidd
Payton
Cousy

To just name a few...
KidPistol
Sixth Man
And1: 1,510

Re: Where does Curry Rank Amongst your All Time PG's 

Post#2 » by KidPistol » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:08 am

Top 5.

Honestly he has a case for number 2 for me but maybe it’s because I’m a bit biased. With that being said, other than Magic Johnson, I can’t think of a single PG in NBA history that I’d rather have over Curry. I’ll be fair however and acknowledge my biases and rank them:
1. Magic
2. Stockton
3. Curry
4. Zeke
5. CP3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The scariest question in NBA history.

"Can Stephen Curry get better?"
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,508

Post#3 » by 70sFan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:07 am

Is this a question about career or peaks? In terms of full careers, I have him definitely below Magic, Oscar, West, Paul, Nash and maybe Stockton. Frazier doesn't have enough longevity to be honest.

In terms of peaks, I have him below Magic, Oscar and West.
SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,334

Post#4 » by SpreeS » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:09 am

This is bull.... all these careers or peaks. I dont care if Stockon or Paul had 20 years careers. You win or dont. There are reasons why you dont win.

Curry #2
LA Bird
Analyst
And1: 3,145

Post#5 » by LA Bird » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:37 pm

For peak, I have 2017 Curry slightly ahead or tied at #1 with Magic for point guards.

For career, Curry is currently at #9 for me. Missed playoff (and regular season) games for 2016 and 2018 devalued two of his best seasons. Frazier has the weakest longevity of the greats and even he still has 10k career minutes on Curry. Maybe he will get to #2 by the end of his career but ranking Curry ahead of Oscar already is crazy to me.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,518

Post#6 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:59 pm

I'd say i tend to value peaks as about 75% of a players value (1 year is like half of that 75% give or take) and the other 25% is longevity. Of course there are other factors/intagables but they're like extra credit and I dole them out on a player by player basis.

I have magic and oscar over Curry. That's it. But west is a shooting guard. I think curry passes oscar this coming year and should have this year but he played so little.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,518

Post#7 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:59 pm

SpreeS wrote:This is bull.... all these careers or peaks. I dont care if Stockon or Pau had 20 years careers. You win or dont. There are reasons why you dont win.

Curry #2

We call the teammates.
ChartFiction
Starter
And1: 2,768

Post#8 » by ChartFiction » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:24 pm

#2 and its pretty easy imo. If you look at his level of play as well as his accomplishments, I honestly think putting Curry below #2 is as wild as putting Magic not #1.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#9 » by penbeast0 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:40 pm

I think Curry is top 4 with Magic, West, and Oscar. His impact has been tremendous. If you value longevity highly, then maybe a couple of guys like Stockton might move up. I do have Frazier higher than most.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,508

Post#10 » by 70sFan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:58 pm

ChartFiction wrote:#2 and its pretty easy imo. If you look at his level of play as well as his accomplishments, I honestly think putting Curry below #2 is as wild as putting Magic not #1.

You can make a case for Oscar over Magic honestly, you can take West and Oscar over Curry without any strange arguments, you can make a case for Paul, Nash, Stockton and Frazier over Curry. It's not easy, nothing is easy in comparisons like that....
mischievous
General Manager
And1: 3,482

Post#11 » by mischievous » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:10 pm

Holy crap is Oscar being disrespected in this thread. He’s easily ahead of Curry.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,691

Post#12 » by WarriorGM » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:13 pm

70sFan wrote:
ChartFiction wrote:#2 and its pretty easy imo. If you look at his level of play as well as his accomplishments, I honestly think putting Curry below #2 is as wild as putting Magic not #1.

You can make a case for Oscar over Magic honestly, you can take West and Oscar over Curry without any strange arguments, you can make a case for Paul, Nash, Stockton and Frazier over Curry. It's not easy, nothing is easy in comparisons like that....

At what point does it become easy? One can keep saying these things but at what point does it become disingenuous to ignore that Curry is the engine of a strong candidate for the greatest team in NBA history? Would it have been disrespectful to suggest in 1993 that Jordan was a better guard than the other aforementioned greats?
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,322

Post#13 » by Clyde Frazier » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:57 pm

SpreeS wrote:This is bull.... all these careers or peaks. I dont care if Stockon or Paul had 20 years careers. You win or dont. There are reasons why you dont win.

Curry #2

No, career and peak are two different discussions. You can choose to value longevity less than someone else, but the distinction does matter in a debate.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#14 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:06 pm

Assuming most people ranking Curry at number 2, Just started watching basketball in 2010. Players like Oscar, West(if you count him as a PG), and Frazier were clearly better players. They also provided way better defense than Curry. Isiah Thomas, Nash and Stockton are three of the best playmakers ever. Curry is an average playmaker and average at best defender. Gary Payton and Frazier were two of the greatest defensive PG's of All time. Frazier was a two time champion, 7 time all defensive, 6 time all nba. He would have won a DPOY award if it existed. Kidd was a triple double machine. A lot of PG's are being underrated in this thread due to the fact of never seeing them play. Curry has an argument for top 5 of all time, but there has been a lot of great PG's. We haven't even mentioned guys like Tim Hardway and Kevin Johnson.

CP3 has been a better player than Curry for their careers (minus a 2 year stretch ). Paul is one of the greatest playmakers ever, all time great on defense (3rd all time in APG, 2nd all time Assist Percentage), and an elite shooter. I also question Curry's longevity. He has injury problems. Plus, his performance takes a noticeable dive in the playoffs. 3 championships helps but 0 finals mvps. Not too many big playoff games and teams target him on defense. Curry has benefited from being on a stacked team facing injured teams in the playoffs. And doesn't provide any elite value outside of scoring. Curry is probably the greatest shooter of all time but his career will be overrated due to being a piece of a Dynasty. With that said, Curry is one of the best PG's of all time and has the greatest gravity for a NBA player since Shaq.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager

Post#15 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:08 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
70sFan wrote:

At what point does it become easy? One can keep saying these things but at what point does it become disingenuous to ignore that Curry is the engine of a strong candidate for the greatest team in NBA history? Would it have been disrespectful to suggest in 1993 that Jordan was a better guard than the other aforementioned greats?

Oscar was a clear tier better than Curry. He was the engine for some of the prolific offenses in NBA history with zero talent around him. A walking triple double who was solid on defense. Curry has no case over him or Magic.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#16 » by WarriorGM » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:10 pm

TheKingOfVa360 wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:
70sFan wrote:

Oscar was a clear tier better than Curry. He was the engine for some of the prolific offenses in NBA history with zero talent around him. A walking triple double who was solid on defense. Curry has no case over him or Magic.

A walking triple double eh? Like Russell Westbrook? Westbrook did that averaging a triple double thing twice. I'll still take Curry.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager

Post#17 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:13 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
TheKingOfVa360 wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

A walking triple double eh? Like Russell Westbrook? I'll take Curry.

Comparing Oscar to Westbrook says it all :lol:

You are comparing the guy with probably the highest basketball IQ ever to a guy with one of the lowest ever. How many games have you seen Oscar play?
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#18 » by WarriorGM » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:16 pm

TheKingOfVa360 wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:
TheKingOfVa360 wrote:

You are comparing the guy with probably the highest basketball IQ ever to a guy with one of the lowest ever. How many games have you seen Oscar play?

Haven't seen him play.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager

Post#19 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:20 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
TheKingOfVa360 wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

Haven't seen him play.

Please go on YouTube and watch a game or two when you have free time. You will see the difference between Oscar and Westbrook. There is nothing similar about the two players.
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#20 » by GYK » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:23 pm

Oscar and Westbrook is a shallow comparison. Pace allowed for his all around play to average his triple doubles. In no way is that a slight, a compliment really. If it was just pace and not his skillset everyone would have averaged it.
With that said I don't want to slight Westbrook. I think he does hunt for it. But it's also natural for him. The pace isn't the same but much higher than the era he came in. Pick and roll play combined with 3 point shooting/spacing allows for a surge in triple doubles. Also LeBron. These players grew up with him. He's the standard. Scoring pick and roll points and triple doubles all exploded after him.

Anywho Curry is streamlining to be 2nd best ever. Only the longevity of his current level is needed, it's only be 2 and half years of Curry(his first MVP wasn't special as he is but a best team accomplishment).

Return to Player Comparisons